PDA

View Full Version : Review My first chapter review: 408

badluckartist
July 11, 2008, 01:03 AM
As the title tells, this is my first chapter review. I've grown weary of keeping my opinions and most importantly, analysis's to myself.

So this is it, Badluckartist's first chapter review!!

Fukasaku's Proposal!

For this review, I use Sleepyfan's scanlation, the first one out.

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/408/12/

First thing's first, the art and script are not top notch. The content is, however. As my name implies, I am an artist, and this stuff is not up to Kishimoto's usual quality. The script is cut down too- too many forum-goers guessed this entire chapter, and that's unlike Kishi's style. Naruto going to Myouboku Mountain and Sasuke and Taka/Hebi becoming Akatsuki... The execution of the transition just didn't strike me as Kishi's usual genius.

The introduction of the Hachibii Jinchuuriki was superb, however. An octopus-like silhouette, and then the Tayuya-like foul-mouth was enough to get me amped. A stark contrast to Sasuke's now-quiet demeanor.

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/408/16/
http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/408/17/

I'd have much rather prefered Yugito as the current Hachibii, and this new Jinchuuriki as the Nibii Jinchuuriki filler character (Kishi seems to be a tad sexist, if you ask me). It was obvious the #1 of Kumogakure would show up sooner or later, as Yugito explicitly said she was the second-strongest of Kumogakure, when Kakuzu and Hidan captured her. This alone makes me want to know more about Kumogakure as a village- all we know so far is that they tried to make a dirty deal for the Byakugan years ago, and that at least two Jinchuuriki live/lived there, as their two strongest shinobi. Ah, and they somehow have two of the most powerful Jinchuuriki, despite having no impact on the story, as well as the Chuunin exam arc. Interesting, I say...

Bottom line, this chapter accomplished as much as it could with the least amount of work:

*Fukusaku is taking Naruto to Myouboku to train in the Hermit Arts
*Sasuke and Taka are now parts of Akatsuki
*The Hachibii jinchuuriki is revealed, and apparently has octopus-like traits
*In one in-universe manga-week we're going to see one epic fight

My final prediction//

//Naruto will complete training in the Hermit Arts, mostly due to Kagebunshin training, Pain will finally arrive in Konoha (guy always seems to take a while getting to his destination), and Sasuke will fight the Hachibii jinchuuriki.

All in all, the chapter deserves 7.2/10. The art lacked, the dialogue lacked, but more importantly than both, the story advanced at an excellent rate; which is the most important thing in a story.

::EDIT::
From an artist's standpoint, it was incredibly refreshing to view a brand-new village; geographically, Kumogakure was a wonderful sight. I sincerely hope you all enjoyed the new Shinobi village as much as I did. Also, it's worth noting that Kumogakure is the only village that is completely Akatsuki-free: no known member of Akatsuki is known to have come from the Village Hidden in the Clouds. This strikes a very interesting chord with me...

I hope you all enjoyed my very first review. More to come if I get enough responses :3

Cheers :D

Csdabest
July 11, 2008, 02:15 AM
Yeah very befitting review. Suprised you didnt mention Sasukes use of his MS. Was kind of wanting to hear you input. Im also happy that the Sasuke Akatasuki look didnt overshadow the wonderful view of Cloud City.(Hidden Cloud) It was quite beautiful and you brought up some good points as too why they get two jinchurrukis and no back story aswell as why its akatsuki free.

kuraku
July 11, 2008, 03:11 AM
Very fast review. It’s nice to wake up, download and read the chapter…half an hour latter at work, read a quick review while enjoying the world’s worst coffee.

So my conclusion: decent review, bad coffee (ok, so maybe that’s not your fault xP)

Tomodachi69
July 11, 2008, 04:28 AM
Nice review! Short and sweet, compared to most others, but also very concise and to the point. I agree with you that this chapter did an excellent job of advancing the story. Now, hopefully, Kishi will continue to deliver and not give us more predictable chapters, but instead, more awesome twists and developments.

Starzen
July 11, 2008, 04:55 AM
great job, not bad for your first try, hope to see more in the near future and nice point there with the fact that non of the akatsuki members come from that village, no wonder the 3rd did not want to go to war with them, the had two jinchuurikis.

badluckartist
July 11, 2008, 08:48 AM
Yeah very befitting review. Suprised you didnt mention Sasukes use of his MS. Was kind of wanting to hear you input. Im also happy that the Sasuke Akatasuki look didnt overshadow the wonderful view of Cloud City.(Hidden Cloud) It was quite beautiful and you brought up some good points as too why they get two jinchurrukis and no back story aswell as why its akatsuki free.

Hm, I guess that didn't make it to the final cut of my review- I originally had a tidbit about Sassy's new MS, but I guess I dropped it.

Well here's my input, in case you still wanted it:

*He's using it effortlessly, not even adjusting to the new power that was just gushed into his head a few days ago. Typical Sasuke-esque story-telling.

*The effect on the Kumo-nin highly resembled the after effects of Tsukuyomi, and Karin called it 'an illusion'; these two really don't tell us much, but are interesting observations.

*He used one eye. It seems Kishi is desperately clinging to the 'one MS technique per eye' idea he came up with a while back. This fact really breathes life into the sneaking suspicion that Kakashi and Tobi received their MS from the same source (but I won't go into that here, for the sake of some people's respective sanities :P)

Csdabest
July 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
lol. Thanks that does make since. I do think they got their MS techniques or were taught them in that little Genjutsu statue Itachi showed Sasuke. But yeah overrall great reveiw. thanks

badluckartist
July 11, 2008, 03:22 PM
lol. Thanks that does make since. I do think they got their MS techniques or were taught them in that little Genjutsu statue Itachi showed Sasuke. But yeah overrall great reveiw. thanks

I'm pretty sure that Genjutsu statue that Itachi showed Sasuke was a symbolic reference to the fact that an MS user needs another pair of eyes (hence the empty sockets below the filled ones) to acquire "eternal" power. The Uchiha seem to be in love with glorifying themselves with idol-like statues and whatnot- the scene where Itachi stands with his back to the sun, next to a giant statue (when he fought Dei) is another scene with similar art. Kishi just loves to overly-glorify the Uchiha whenever he gets the chance.

It is an interesting topic for discussion, though. Just how do the Uchiha receive the actual MS techniques? Do they suddenly just have knowledge of their new jutsu when the kill their friend/brother? If knowledge is passed down (like Madara down to Itachi and then Sasuke), then how can MS techs be completely unique per person?

So many questions, so many answers we'll probably never know.

laughing@you
July 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
It is an interesting topic for discussion, though. Just how do the Uchiha receive the actual MS techniques? Do they suddenly just have knowledge of their new jutsu when the kill their friend/brother? If knowledge is passed down (like Madara down to Itachi and then Sasuke), then how can MS techs be completely unique per person?

I think they have to develop it. Thats why sasugay was dissing orochimaru saying to the world you might be considered a genius but to us you are plain normal. (or something like that u guys get the point). The concept of genjutsu is really hard it self. not everybody can do genjutsu. As their knowledge grows their techniques and eyes get more powerful. Sasuke eyes grew stronger with knowledge. Its my belief.

Kakashi can use MS but most likely he can only do the jutsu he developed. And during the fight with deidara, he mentioned kakashi's jutsu to be at itachi's level meaning that itachi could probably do kakashi's jutsu or a variation at least.

But more or less its like an instrument that u get for the first time. At beginning u can only do so much with it and after some experience u start using in different ways and start to think what else i could do....

So i believe is the same concept, not something that is inherited. Obviously not every Uchiha had MS, so basically it was a chosen few that raised above the standard!!

Csdabest
July 11, 2008, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=laughing@you;943624]
Kakashi can use MS but most likely he can only do the jutsu he developed. And during the fight with deidara, he mentioned kakashi's jutsu to be at itachi's level meaning that itachi could probably do kakashi's jutsu or a variation at least.

But more or less its like an instrument that u get for the first time. At beginning u can only do so much with it and after some experience u start using in different ways and start to think what else i could do....
QUOTE]

Im happy someones brain pattern crossed over with mine some shape or form. I think Madara space-time jutsu is the same as Kakashi just he got so experienced with it and figured out a different way to use it.

So far all I have read that kakashi MS jutsu can transport an object to a different place. Not actually into a different dimension. Madara mastered it and can transport himself long distances really fast. Which is why i think there are only 6 MS jutsus

badluckartist
July 12, 2008, 12:46 AM
I think they have to develop it. Thats why sasugay was dissing orochimaru saying to the world you might be considered a genius but to us you are plain normal. (or something like that u guys get the point). The concept of genjutsu is really hard it self. not everybody can do genjutsu. As their knowledge grows their techniques and eyes get more powerful. Sasuke eyes grew stronger with knowledge. Its my belief.

So i believe is the same concept, not something that is inherited. Obviously not every Uchiha had MS, so basically it was a chosen few that raised above the standard!!

I'm not really sure what you're trying to get at here, but doujutsu, specifically Sharingan, doesn't necessarily equal Genjutsu. Tools like the Sharingan are used to perform Ninjutsu and Genjutsu, not the other way around, or anything else.

As for Kakashi, Deidara said that Kakashi's doujutsu are on the same level- all this means is that they are probably S-class jutsu or higher. It doesn't mean Itachi could actually use it. If he could, why didn't he ever do so? I'm pretty sure Itachi expended all he had available to him in his fight with Sassy.

http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/276/17/

If anything, MS traits are determined by the user's innate abilities, similar to how characters are all 'geared towards' a certain element. I think that Obito/Kakashi were innately drawn towards Space/Time jutsu, thus their MS was of that variety. Itachi was a god of genius among shinobi, so he received three techniques with divine qualities.

And there wasn't any such thing as a "chosen few" that arised beyond the rest to acquire MS, all they had to do was kill their best friend. Anybody in the Uchiha could've gotten MS (although I believe it has been somewhere that not every Uchiha gets the Sharingan, I believe Obito said it).

Saifi
July 12, 2008, 08:35 AM
about Sassy's MS (thx badluckartist) i think its a more potent form of what he did to sai when he 1st appeared at oro's base, and i also agree that MS jutsu's are based on what you are already apt at and magnify them / effects many fold.

badluckartist
July 12, 2008, 03:32 PM
about Sassy's MS (thx badluckartist) i think its a more potent form of what he did to sai when he 1st appeared at oro's base, and i also agree that MS jutsu's are based on what you are already apt at and magnify them / effects many fold.

I'm still confused as to whether or not that was a genjutsu based on the Sharingan's capabilities, or something more similar to what Orochimaru used years ago when he first appeared- the extreme "killer intent" that seems to force hallucinations of death and whatnot. Onemanga.com is being lazy on my com, so I can't find the links right now. If you know where they are, it was to Team 7 in the Forest of Death, and against Kakashi while he was sealing up Oro's CS on Sassy's neck.

Boy, shonen manga sure do love to use that phrase. "His killer intent, it's so intense!" Must've read that phrase or something like it at least 100 times so far in all shonen manga combined.

Btw, "Sasugay" just seems so overused, so I came up with "Sassy" a few months ago. Very appropriate, no?

juUnior
July 13, 2008, 04:42 AM
Welcome, badluckartist!

First thing's first, the art and script are not top notch.
Seriously, the art was the best from all the aspects in this chapter - those amazingingly drawn locations and characters *x* <ok, one bad panel was, when team Taka was leaving - Juugo was quite "not right">

The art lacked, the dialogue lacked
From my point of view - art was amazing <those locations and facial expressions>, dialoque was amazing <especially "cool" texts from Saske, Suigetsu speech, all conversation in Tsunade office <Sakura and Naruto finally had a "little talk" aspect> and monoloque of the Hachibi>.

brand-new village
Of maybe brand-new country with shinobi from the hidden village :p

Nah, about Saske MS we will know everything, sooner or later ^^"

I'm still confused as to whether or not that was a genjutsu based on the Sharingan's capabilities, or something more similar to what Orochimaru used years ago when he first appeared- the extreme "killer intent" that seems to force hallucinations of death and whatnot. Onemanga.com is being lazy on my com, so I can't find the links right now. If you know where they are, it was to Team 7 in the Forest of Death, and against Kakashi while he was sealing up Oro's CS on Sassy's neck.
To me it was sharingan's based eye genjutsu - just that. Kishi wanted to show, that now Saske is also probably a powerful genjutsu user because of sharingan <I know that Saske can imitate superb his killer intent, but Oro's killer intent back then was also a genjutsu type from eyes>

All in all, decent review ^^ I expect more in the future, if You continue Your reviews! <3

badluckartist
July 13, 2008, 06:46 PM
Welcome, badluckartist!

'Allo thar. I've been floating around MH for quite some time, but only recently decided to take up the mantle of reviewing. Hope to fill in the gap left by GK, eventually :3

Seriously, the art was the best from all the aspects in this chapter - those amazingingly drawn locations and characters *x* <ok, one bad panel was, when team Taka was leaving - Juugo was quite "not right">

Aside from the new Akatsuki robes (which simply don't look right on Karin and Juugo), everything involving Konoha and Taka feels extremely recycled. I commented on the beauty that is Kumogakure, and that is the part I admired about this chapter. I also enjoyed the Hachiibi Jinchuuriki's design; although like many have pointed out, it's sad Kishi draws one black guy in the whole series and it's inevitable that he'll be killed off. I'll try to be more clear next time : X

From my point of view - art was amazing <those locations and facial expressions>, dialoque was amazing <especially "cool" texts from Saske, Suigetsu speech, all conversation in Tsunade office <Sakura and Naruto finally had a "little talk" aspect> and monoloque of the Hachibi>.

Sasuke's little bubble of speech sounded like something only Itachi would feel right saying, I'm sorry. Reminding us of how pseudo-tough Suigetsu is was kind of unnecessary, although it was cool to see his arm go through the fence all liquidy-like.

Of maybe brand-new country with shinobi from the hidden village :p

No, it's the Lightning Country (Rai-kuni), more specifically, the Hidden Cloud Village (Kumogakure).

To me it was sharingan's based eye genjutsu - just that. Kishi wanted to show, that now Saske is also probably a powerful genjutsu user because of sharingan <I know that Saske can imitate superb his killer intent, but Oro's killer intent back then was also a genjutsu type from eyes>

All in all, decent review ^^ I expect more in the future, if You continue Your reviews! <3

Well, it wasn't normal sharingan, that's for sure. It's whatever MS jutsu that Sassy has in his right eye now.

And thank you for the praise ^^ Like I said, I hope to fill very big shoes, sooner or later.

lordHokage
July 14, 2008, 06:03 PM
Please continue your short and sweet review. Its official, Sasuke is a member of Akatsuki and Itachi is rolling in his grave. :D

badluckartist
July 14, 2008, 09:41 PM
Please continue your short and sweet review. Its official, Sasuke is a member of Akatsuki and Itachi is rolling in his grave. :D

I definitely will. I really didn't expect to get any positive responses from people, so it's really cool to have at least one person looking forward to my next review.

Now I have a little way to prolong the joy of getting a new chapter this Friday night :)

And yes, Sassy completely going 180 from what Itachi wanted... And I'm sure Itachi is sealed up in a capsule somewhere, with Madara waiting for Sassy to come back and beg for his eyeballs when the going gets tough... er, when the going gets blind.

lordHokage
July 15, 2008, 08:55 AM
And I'm sure Itachi is sealed up in a capsule somewhere, with Madara waiting for Sassy to come back and beg for his eyeballs when the going gets tough... er, when the going gets blind.

I think Sasuke may begin to experience some form of blindness after Falcon vs. Eight Tailed Beast's host battle saga and that's what Madara is hoping for. :D

badluckartist
July 15, 2008, 08:57 PM
I think Sasuke may begin to experience some form of blindness after Falcon vs. Eight Tailed Beast's host battle saga and that's what Madara is hoping for. :D

I fully agree. Madara seems to need Sasuke to be as powerful as humanly possible for some reason, and the next step is Sasuke encountering some of that pesky loss of sight. I get the feeling that the Hachibi Jinchuuriki is going to be stronger than Sasuke expects.

Of course, that might just be wishful thinking on my part :P

lordHokage
July 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
I fully agree. Madara seems to need Sasuke to be as powerful as humanly possible for some reason, and the next step is Sasuke encountering some of that pesky loss of sight. I get the feeling that the Hachibi Jinchuuriki is going to be stronger than Sasuke expects.

Of course, that might just be wishful thinking on my part :P

I think Madara wants Sasuke to be as weak as humanly possible for his ultimate plans. Once again, Sasuke about to battle another opponent within a short period of time, he not so long fought Orochimaru, Deidara-senpai and Itachi now Hachibi jinchuriki is next, and the outcome continue to prove how weak Sasuke has become since he abandoned Konoha. :blink

badluckartist
July 15, 2008, 10:12 PM
I think Madara wants Sasuke to be as weak as humanly possible for his ultimate plans. Once again, Sasuke about to battle another opponent within a short period of time, he not so long fought Orochimaru, Deidara-senpai and Itachi now Hachibi jinchuriki is next, and the outcome continue to prove how weak Sasuke has become since he abandoned Konoha. :blink

What? He's gotten insanely stronger each time! He gained the White Snake's powers with Orichimaru as well as many other techniques (although he lost the White Snake's power later on), he gained a ton of experience with the fight with Dei-sama, and most importantly of all, he gained the MS after "defeating" Itachi. If the fight with 8J is as tough as it should be, Sasuke might be approaching the time to take in Itachi's eyes. Judging from everything Madara has said, he wants Sasuke to be as powerful as humanly possible- for what reason though, is still unknown.

Hey, didn't we used to not get along at all? I seem to remember getting into a little flame-duel with somebody with a similar name to you :p

::EDIT:: Nevermind, it was 'Yondaime Uzumaki'. Don't even remember what it was about : /

lordHokage
July 15, 2008, 10:46 PM
What? He's gotten insanely stronger each time! He gained the White Snake's powers with Orichimaru as well as many other techniques (although he lost the White Snake's power later on), he gained a ton of experience with the fight with Dei-sama, and most importantly of all, he gained the MS after "defeating" Itachi. If the fight with 8J is as tough as it should be, Sasuke might be approaching the time to take in Itachi's eyes. Judging from everything Madara has said, he wants Sasuke to be as powerful as humanly possible- for what reason though, is still unknown.

I think Madara wants Sasuke to be humanly powerful in the physical state but weak in the mental state the same way Orochimaru wanted but Sasuke was powerful in both states. If the 8 tails fulfill Madara's plans, Sasuke will have EMS but if he fails, Madara would perform surgery on him. :D

badluckartist
July 16, 2008, 03:27 PM
I think Madara wants Sasuke to be humanly powerful in the physical state but weak in the mental state the same way Orochimaru wanted but Sasuke was powerful in both states. If the 8 tails fulfill Madara's plans, Sasuke will have EMS but if he fails, Madara would perform surgery on him. :D

I like how Kishi is completely keeping us in the dark as to what the meaning of Madara's obsession with Sassy is. Oro's was too obvious, imo. Hopefully Madara's plan isn't exactly the same thing.

lordHokage
July 16, 2008, 03:54 PM
I like how Kishi is completely keeping us in the dark as to what the meaning of Madara's obsession with Sassy is. Oro's was too obvious, imo. Hopefully Madara's plan isn't exactly the same thing.

You never know, Madara wants Sasuke's body, mind and soul. I would like know how Madara cheated death? :blink

badluckartist
July 16, 2008, 06:27 PM
You never know, Madara wants Sasuke's body, mind and soul. I would like know how Madara cheated death? :blink

I pray it was Obito. I pray.