PDA

View Full Version : Review [Badluck Reviews] The Early-Snail Edition!! Chapter 409!!

badluckartist
July 18, 2008, 12:00 AM
The early review you'll come to expect, so long as early scans crop up!!

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o90/badluckartist/01.jpg
[Badluck Reviews] The Early-Snail EditionChapter
409: Passing Down the Sage Techniques
Via SleepyFans's Scanlation, Onemanga.com

The first page made an unusual impression on me- Shikamaru almost seems taken in as a foster-replacement for Sasuke at the moment, as panel-heavy as he has been since Part II. Which makes me wonder, just what is Sai up to? I mean, the guy had such huge potential as a character and then he mysteriously dips out in this latest arc... he's had maybe four sentences of dialog since the Sasuke Re-retrieval arc, and that throws me off...

A side note in the prologue of the chapter reveals that the code is in fact not entirely translated yet, so that should set some angry readers to rest for the time being. As most expected, there's far more to the code than "The real one isn't there" (although that is more important than it's given credit for). Also, it appears 'Reverse Kuchiyose' is indeed possible and seems common enough, judging from how Tsunade referred to it.

Naruto's very, very short journey to Myoubokuzan reveals that Myoubokuzan is not in 'another dimension' as speculated, but a month's travel away from Konoha. It requires a 'secret passage' though, though that probably doesn't have much bearing on the story.

The next page reveals Pain setting out on his man-hunt for Naruto, apparently using all six of his known bodies and bringing Konan along for the ride. The fact he explicitly says to kill all ninja who stand in the way is, to me, another clear foreshadowing that somebody is going to die rather soon...

And next we come to the classic explanation/demonstration format of Naruto's training we've come to expect over the years, after a lovely looking bowl of froggy soup:

* Senjutsu comes from the energy without- similar to the ideas behind Quincies in Bleach, except Quincies use reishi, and the Sage Arts of the Narutoverse unearth the powers of land and ground the energies of the air, binding and mixing them with normal chakra.

* I find it especially interesting how Fukasaku explicitly mentions Genjutsu first ("illusions" in SleepyFans scan), and then Taijutsu ("physical attacks" in the scan). It was plain as day how much Hermit Mode increased Jiraiya-sama's Taijutsu, but the only Genjutsu we saw was used by Ma and Pa themselves... Just thought that would be something to be pondered upon :)

* According to Gamakichi, Fukasaku is able to gather natural energy rapidly, and then immediately apply it to his tiny, elderly toad body to lift a statue at least a hundred times his weight. It's worth note that he was incredibly tired afterwards... hopefully that's just due to his old age and not a side-effect of Senjutsu.

* And the cliffhanger to Naruto-kun's training- "To begin training, you have to become one with nature. In other words, you have to die." This could mean a million things, but it sounds awfully reminiscent of Yoh's training in Shaman King (at least the principle behind it). If you're unfamiliar (I'm a little rusty on my Shaman King myself), Yoh had to deprive all five of his senses, and nearly starve to death in a cave by himself for some amount of time. After he emerged, he was more in tune with nature. I can't wait to see the method in which Naruto has to "die", and if applicable, the Kyuubi's reaction to it. Hopefully we'll see a rather interesting conversation between Naruto and his life-long guest.

The last pages showed Sasuke's inevitably-soon encounter with the Hachibi Jinchuuriki- excuse me, Sir Hachibi Jinchuuriki. A funny note here is how he spoke for both his beast and himself. It'd be cool if he actually had a real bond with his beast- I wonder just how powerful this guy is to be so cocky.

Like last chapter, Sasuke continues his streak of trying (and in my opinion failing) to talk and swagger like his late brother. Unless he has a really good reason for doing what he's doing, like Itachi kind of did, Sasuke is dead to me as a character. The only redemption will be if he has some kind of master plan that rivaled Itachi's own agenda against Madara. The two still don't have any idea of Itachi's encounter with Naruto, come to think of it.

And now the fun part of my review: The script and artwork.

Script: 6/10

We got the standard training session for Naruto, while it's nothing special, it's also nothing terrible. Sir Hachibi has more short and sweet dialog, hopefully he's got the power to back it up. Sasuke is losing points with trying to sound like Itachi again. He's just not that cool.

Art: 7/10

Like last chapter, we get the joy of seeing a brand new location. And the best part is, both of these locations were contrasted via the flip of page with Konoha's stale look, making them look even more exotic. This week we got to see Myoubokuzan up close and personal. I have to say, I can't wait to see this place in color. The artwork was absolutely gorgeous as far as setting is concerned, but like these 'in-between' chapters so often do, the character art felt a little recycled. I really miss Kishimoto-san's habit of complex angle shots of characters during dialog. Part II feels really... two-dimensional in this aspect, when compared to Part I. Remember that crazy wide-angle of Itachi and his Mangekyou? Where's that artwork at?

All in all, a good chapter that's leading up to some epic events:

* Naruto gets some worthwhile training
* Pain is probably heading to Konoha
* Sassy attempts to capture Sir Hachibi

Post-review notes:

Sorry about the lack of pictures. Still haven't found a very practical way to cut, crop and host the pics without making the time these reviews soak up over an hour. Once I do, my reviews will be more fleshed out, for sure.

And sorry about the length, if it was too long. I got a lot of compliments on how 'short and sweet' my review was last week, so if you prefer that, please include it in your response. As always, constructive criticism and critical thinking are requested and hoped for.

Valete omne!!

elektra b
July 18, 2008, 12:28 AM
thank you for the review :)!

kthy0056
July 18, 2008, 12:48 AM
Heh, you remind me of Yoh Asakura's training in Shaman King. But I think that his death will be more like Sasuke's death when he wanted to acquire CS2.
Per total, your review was good, but it lacked pics which is a small drawback.

Baron Hugenstein
July 18, 2008, 01:41 AM
Wow, a review so fast.....and a good one too:D

Sasuke is losing points with trying to sound like Itachi again. He's just not that cool
Couldn't agree more:amuse

The only redemption will be if he has some kind of master plan that rivaled Itachi's own agenda against Madara. The two still don't have any idea of Itachi's encounter with Naruto, come to think of it.
Good point, my guess is that Naruto will use that as his base example when he is talking some sense into Sasuke.

badluckartist
July 18, 2008, 01:43 AM
Heh, you remind me of Yoh Asakura's training in Shaman King. But I think that his death will be more like Sasuke's death when he wanted to acquire CS2.
Per total, your review was good, but it lacked pics which is a small drawback.

I doubt Kishi will rehash his CS2 'death' idea. Like immortality, he likes to find multiple methods with the same effect :) And I'm pretty positive we'll actually see what Naruto is going through- unlike Sasuke who was drugged up and shoved into a barrel for an entire arc :notrust

Well, like I said, I'll start posting pictures with my reviews when I find a practical way of doing so. Thinking about asking one of the more experienced reviewers what they do for that sooner or later.

Deviant
July 18, 2008, 09:10 PM
Just as a note, a frog Fukasaku's size is around 20 to 30 pounds.

The statue he lifted would be much more than 100 times his weight. If it were 100 times then that statue only weighted 200 to 300 pounds.

Judging from the height of the statue, which was about 20 feet, and the roundness of it, we can generally expect the statue to weigh at least 100 tons.

Some of the bricks that were used to put the Great Pyramid together weighed 80,000 pounds each. The statue Fukasaku lifted was at least 120 tons. If this power translates to Naruto, Naruto will be able to lift a mansion...

Looks like Sakura will be useless. ;x

badluckartist
July 18, 2008, 11:16 PM
Wow, your ability to distinguish physics through manga panels is extraordinary.

And not so much- Sakura's ability doesn't really involve lifting... it's an explosive, sudden burst of energy. It wouldn't become obsolete so much as being what is was meant to be- a kickass perk of being what she primarily is. That is, a medical nin.

Deviant
July 18, 2008, 11:56 PM
Yeah, the blocks used in the pyramid were like half the size of the statue Fukasaku lifted.

And I said what I said about Sakura because Naruto will probably match her explosive power.

badluckartist
July 19, 2008, 12:28 AM
Well who knows what they were made of. The only fact that matters is that a tiny, elderly frog lifted a hunk of mass that no tiny, elderly frog should be able to- that was the point I was trying to get across, not guesstimating how much it weighs.

I think Naruto's strength through the Sage Arts will be infinitely more useful than Sakura's medical-brand of Taijutsu. If it's anything like Hermit Mode, Naruto will have a sustainable ability that exceeds the overall power of Tsunade and Sakura's style of Taijutsu. The point with that was that their Taijutsu is more of a surprise perk than a reliable ability, at least when compared to their primary job of medical jutsu. Thinking back, though, Sakura definitely knows how to put her power to good use, despite it being second in priority. Comparing it to the recent list of crap, her fight with Sasori was amazing.

::EDIT:: My 300th post. Woot woot to me :)

lordHokage
July 20, 2008, 05:17 PM
Another great review and keep it up.

Both Naruto and Kyuubi have to become one with nature, so I see flashbacks stories on Kyuubi’s life. I hope Sir Hachibi Jinchuriki beat the crap out of Sasuke-kun. :D

laughing@you
July 21, 2008, 09:21 AM
Good review. I liked the comparisons.

I say don't cut your reviews or you won't be able to cover all the details that needs to be mentioned.

I liked the comparison with shaman king cuz we could have an idea on what to expect, other than really dying or completely rebuilding his own fighting style.

On the artwork and story kishimoto is pushing the manga as far as he can now. He said he wanted to end it after the chunnin exam, but due to the huge success, he had to continue it. Thats why in my opinion the manga and anime hasn't lived up to the previous story. Right now all the elements that made this manga great are gone and kishimoto is fishing for something that sticks. But thats my opinion.

WereMongoose
July 21, 2008, 03:25 PM
On the artwork and story kishimoto is pushing the manga as far as he can now. He said he wanted to end it after the chunnin exam, but due to the huge success, he had to continue it.

Whats heh? Please provide me with a link to that. As far as I know Kishimoto has never said such a thing. I've looked at all the interviews I could find and still have found nothing.

laughing@you
July 21, 2008, 03:58 PM
On the artwork and story kishimoto is pushing the manga as far as he can now. He said he wanted to end it after the chunnin exam, but due to the huge success, he had to continue it.

Whats heh? Please provide me with a link to that. As far as I know Kishimoto has never said such a thing. I've looked at all the interviews I could find and still have found nothing.

I'm looking for it.

I will edit this post with the link when I find it. I remember reading it a long time ago.

badluckartist
July 23, 2008, 10:42 AM
I actually remember reading something like that a long time ago, but it was more of a passing thought than "I really don't want to do this manga anymore." I couldn't find the link to save my life, but I'm pretty sure he wasn't as serious as Toriyama was when he said he wanted to end it after the Frieza arc.

Oh and thank you for the feedback on my review :)

PS: Kickass avatar and sig. They're pretty much synched together and it's hilarious. And I saw Dark Knight the other day. Ledger as the Joker almost made that entire movie on his own. It was amazing.

laughing@you
July 23, 2008, 02:36 PM
Thanks

@WereMongoose (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/member.php?u=57314) I can't seem to find it. But i remember reading it somewhere like badluckartist (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/member.php?u=13995).

You can really feel the difference of before and after. To me the manga has gone downhill since naruto got limitation on his kiuby usage. At the beginning it was all cool. Like, oh he can do 1000 KB, cool he gets stronger than his enemies when he gets angry, he got even cooler when he popped a tail. Until brup, 4 tails means he could kill his friends. Say what? You can't use it anymore. WTF? 2.5 years with Jiraiya for nothing?

Anyhow, badluckartist (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/member.php?u=13995) keep up the good work!!!

badluckartist
July 24, 2008, 04:52 PM
Meh, the story's had its ups and downs, but it's hardly as bad as it could be. There's a difference between being cool (KN4 was damned cool, to be sure), and being good for the story. Naruto basically abusing the Kyuubi's power was simply not good for the story, and defeated the purpose of Part I and most of its themes. "Getting stronger than your enemies when you get angry" is an incredibly weak story element- no matter how cool it is to watch/read.

Gotta agree about Jiraiya though- still have no idea what those two and a half years were for... Yet.

ninjaa
July 25, 2008, 04:36 AM
Meh, the story's had its ups and downs, but it's hardly as bad as it could be. There's a difference between being cool (KN4 was damned cool, to be sure), and being good for the story. Naruto basically abusing the Kyuubi's power was simply not good for the story, and defeated the purpose of Part I and most of its themes. "Getting stronger than your enemies when you get angry" is an incredibly weak story element- no matter how cool it is to watch/read.

Gotta agree about Jiraiya though- still have no idea what those two and a half years were for... Yet.

I think this part of the story is really showing how Sasuke and Naruto, the two protagonists (IMO) are growing. Kishimoto is trying to reinforce the hard work overcoming natural born talent theme. In the current arc Sasuke gets his deadliest ninja weapon by his brother's sacrifice. Naruto's currently training for a couple of trump cards too these days. He is showing great fortitude when he does his KB training, as that training must be exhausting to do, as you experience 1000x the mental fatigue you usually would. This next training, for the senjutsu, your last sentence gave me a little theory. Maybe those years Jirayia was teaching Naruto during the time skip he was preparing him for this very training! Think about it, in 2 1/2 years Naruto barely got stronger. Sure, he grew all-around and all, but it was nothing compared to what you would expect when his teacher is a legendary nin. What if Jirayia was giving Naruto the training he needs to perfect his senjutsu instead of just teaching him how to grow strong, like what Orochimaru did with Sasuke? I think he did this because he himself could not succeed in completely mastering the senjutsu, and wanted Naruto to be able to do it. Anyways, this 2 1/2 years of hard work got Naruto strong vs. Sasuke's method. Also remember Itachi's gift to Naruto, which he earned with his strong bonds with Sasuke, which I'm sure Itachi saw with his sharp eyes (look a metaphor!). What do you think?