PDA

View Full Version : Gold Knight's Ten Comments (Naruto 317)

Gold Knight
July 28, 2006, 01:43 AM
As Jabbament would say.... "Blaargh!"

One of the most exciting chapters of Naruto this summer comes out... and I end up being so busy with moving that I couldn't review it right away! XD And I was so jazzed, too! Still, at last, here it is. Hope you guys enjoy and as always, please comment if you have any additional insights!

Starting this week, I'll be keeping my latest Ten Comments threads in my section. Hope that doesn't confuse anybody.

And what's this? 20 pages! Well, let's get going, then!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on Naruto Chapter 317: The Beginning Of The Nightmare!! * * *

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/9026/deidaradg8.jpg http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/9537/sanbi2bd1.jpg http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5469/tobisn0.jpg
Alright, let's go at it, bitch!

1. What a Way to Start the Volume...! Assuming this chapter is the beginning of Volume 36 (if the pattern of chapters in recent publications are still being followed, it is), Kishimoto really gave us an unexpected treat this week to start off the new one. It's been a while since he gave us not only a colored double-spread, but also an introductory color page, each with its own significant surprises and revelations! Nope, no movie advertisements here, no sirree! (Though it seems like we'll be getting one next week... but at least this time he satisfied us one week earlier.)

Anyway, holy cow, what a colored first page! The first thing we see is the ghastly appearance of the gigantic three-tailed sea beast, the Sanbi, or as it would be known more formally, the Isonade. What? Another bijuu so soon? Hell yea! And as if that wasn't enough, it was quickly followed by the realization that it was being confronted by none other but the fan-pleasing Akatsuki member Deidara, who's flying atop one of his familiar makeshift birds on the scene...! Yay for the return of the blonde bomber! Well, really, I'm cheering for his return not because I'm a fan of the character in particular, but because his re-appearance probably means that big things are about to happen. But wait, who's that with him? Is it Kisame? No! Can it be...?

Yep, he's partnered with Tobi! So much for my prediction that Tobi wouldn't be an Akatsuki! And I didn't think he would be partnered with Deidara either - seriously, they must've had to bribe Deidara to be on the same team as a guy he nearly suffocated with his legs! And whoa, his mask's orange? ( Hmm, looks like he's got more in common with Naruto than we realized. ) But anyway, yep, guys, sure looks like the plot's officially starting to get into high gear.

And hey, how about this. Looks like Kisame is still the meanest shark in the series, because the Sanbi in Kishimoto's mythology appears to be totally different from the "three-tailed shark" of old Japanese folklore. In case you never saw my Isonade drawing that I did at Naruto Forums last summer, here it is. (http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4088/sanbisk6.jpg) Yep, looks almost totally different, huh - and I guess, also slightly less menancing than THAT monstrosity on this page! Some things remain the same, though - this Sanbi also has a horn on his forehead as well.

But instead of being a shark, the Sanbi appears more as a shellfish monster of some sort, or as Tobi commented himself, "a big turtle." Not that I mind at all, the Sanbi certainly looks like a formidable bijuu - a monster of legendary proportions, in the fashion of the Kyuubi and the Shukaku. I guess that's probably going to be true for the rest of the bijuus, as well. And there's just something about giant, butt-ugly monsters rising from the deep ocean that really sends chills up your spines. Anybody who played Final Fantasy VII and had to watch the Diamond WEAPON emerging from the ocean and threatening the city of Midgar will know what I mean. (Now would be a good time to summon the Knights of the Round, Tobi...!) It's also good to see a bijuu seemingly completely free of a human host at long last, because there doesn't seem to be a jinchuuriki involved at all here. And that's good, because it wouldn't make sense if ALL the bijuu, supposedly the most powerful monsters in the world, would be sealed into human beings. Too easy.

I have a feeling that Kishimoto likely didn't want to make the Sanbi a shark, simply because that would be too reminiscient of Kisame. Whatever the case may be, it also doesn't look like Kisame has ever been tapped to capture the Isonade, so that probably means the Akatsuki are just randomly assigned to each bijuu, instead of finding the bijuu most representative of themselves.

Now for the surprising double whammy of Tobi now being an Akatsuki and partnered with Deidara, neither of which I didn't think would happen...! Well, the reasons I didn't believe Kishimoto was going to make Tobi an Akatsuki, but rather always a "groupie," was because the Akatsuki already numbered eight future opponents for Naruto and friends even after Sasori's death, but now with the addition of Tobi, they're nine again. So they haven't lost any momentum at all. Just how long will this series be?

Unless... Tobi really is useless, but I don't believe that's the case, otherwise he wouldn't have been accepted, So this leads me to think that rather than the Akatsuki being defeated one after the other like bowling pins, they'll be confronted as a whole group sometimes down the line.

Looks like Naruto better not be the only one training these days!

EDIT: Daniee here says that Chapter 317 will actually be part as Volume 35, not the beginning of 36, due to previous chapters being two pages less. So, Volume 33 is 290-299, Volume 34 is 300-309, and Volume 35 is presumably 310-319. Makes sense. Apologies if I've misled anybody.

2. The Akatsuki... in Color!!! Well, usually I do my comments on the cover first, but this week obviously I'll make an exception, since the first page was also colored. Still, as the cover this week also broke new ground, it certainly merits plenty of comments too...! (Here's some supplementary images, and just for kicks, I'm adding Sasori too to the following collage...)

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/4376/akatsukivg8.jpg

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/9378/oldakatsukiup8.png
The Akatsuki about to embark on a weight-loss program.

So, here we are, around 80 chapters after our first tantalizing glimpse at all the Akatsuki together in the shadows, and now most of them are totally revealed in color! It's been a long wait... (and in the case of the last two unrevealed Akatsuki inconveniently looking away from us :darn , there's still a bit to go!) Still, fans are no doubt rejoicing right now.

At first glance, we see Deidara obviously at the forefront - Kishimoto's obviously acting on his strange appeal to the fans here (yes, I'm still shocked that he beat Naruto out for #3 in the last Character Popularity poll). Then there's Itachi and Kisame to the right, together as usual - and sitting not too far away is Hidan! Looks like all the fan artists who colored Hidan's hair white-gray were right, so give yourself a pat on your back, guys. Then in the background, of course, there's Zetsu, who strangely seems more out of place now... and Tobi, looking mightily satisfied in his new robes. And farther back there's Kakuzu, looking more distant, and it's revealed his shroud is actually grayish-white. Take note, colorists...!

And now, the real teasers. The two unrevealed Akatsuki! Even with their backs turned to the readers, some things are still revealed ahead of time. We now know that there's going to be a blue-haired member, who might indeed be a woman, as Kishimoto had implied in his interviews. And look... she's got a "rock" of some sort attached to her forehead. This also makes her (or him) the most likely to be the Akatsuki standing right alongside Kisame in the old spread from Chapter 238, so that's not Hidan after all.

Edit: Sao made a nice observation here, saying that the "rock" might actually be a flower as it looks like it has petals.

And towering higher than all of them is the Leader (haha, there's no mistaking it that he is supposed to be the ringmaster of the organization - he's placed here too purposefully as "high and mighty" above the others) who turns out to be obviously darker-haired (red-haired?) than Yondaime, so that would seem to finally deflate all the "Yondaime is the Leader" theories. But he's also too light-haired to be Shino's father, another crazy theory going on out there. Phew on both counts...! I still stick to my long-held assumption that he's a completely new character.

Now, the real puzzler: if you're going to compare the revealed Akatsuki to that old double spread from Chapter 238, Hidan doesn't fit in anywhere. And I'm going to take a wild guess here, and say that the Akatsuki that muttered, "Itachi... your brother..." is either dead, or left the organization. And Hidan is his replacement, just like Tobi is Sasori's replacement. Hey, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all... a lot can happen in two years and a half, and bijuu hunting no doubt should take its toll on any organization. And Hidan seems young enough that he may be a new member, so it would make sense. Though I would love it if this "missing" member might come out sometimes and be Naruto's biggest help to defeating this organization. Though there's always the possibility that he may still be a member, and Kishimoto is just trying to throw us off. Whenever they get Orochimaru's ring back, after all, they'll need a tenth member, and I don't think it'll be ol' Snaky-Tongue.

Overall, I have to say I was very pleased with Kishimoto's double spread here and his willingness to draw all the Akatsuki in color, saving us from having to wait about five months to find out what Hidan and Kakuzu looks like in color...! I'm sure this double spread will on be many people's desktop for a while. I know it'll be on mine, when it's out in high quality.

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/7476/tobi3fa0.jpg
Uncle!!! Uncle, I say!!!

3. The Beginning of a Nightmare... Tobi's, that is! Such an appropriate title for the chapter, because that's exactly what it turned out to be for Tobi here! And whoa, look at the guy speeding all around the water's surface, screaming for Deidara to help him out. Tsk tsk.

( Say, that looks like superhuman speed... hmmm. Not that we've seen any shinobi who's exactly "slow" in the series, but Hidan did say that he was the "slowest" of the Akatsuki. Could it be perhaps that Tobi is the "fastest?" That would be interesting! )

Anyway, somehow I get the feeling that Tobi is the type of character to "play it safe" and "act like he's dumb," just so he can get others to do his work for him.

http://img117.imageshack.us/img117/712/deidara3lm8.jpg
Art is such a lovely bang.

4. Armed and Dangerous! Speaking of who has to do the work, guess what? It's Deidara once again. And it's no surprise to anybody, but he's got at least one of his arms re-attached again. How? Last we saw him, he was missing both arms. Considering that he didn't feel any pain when Gaara took his arm off, I'm going to guess that his body is part machine, part clay, and part man, and he was able to re-attach his right arm via a clay-related jutsu somehow. I'll bet he's even triggered each of his fingers to detach from his hand and explode on their own, as well. But note that we never did see his left arm here... I'm also going to guess again and say that as he's lost that original arm forever, he had to make a cyborgic replacement for that one. Hence, ours not seeing it just quite yet...

Incidentally, when the chapter started, I was somewhat wondering why the Sanbi would bother to rise out of the depths just for an encounter with two humans, even if they are Akatsuki - they still probably seemed to the bijuu nothing more than "bugs" at the time. But I got my answer here when Deidara sent a makeshift "exploding fish" under the surface of the water after the Sanbi - that's exactly probably how he got the Sanbi's attention to start with! No doubt it had to suffer swimming through several of Deidara's mini-explosions, and it had had enough.

Back to Deidara... it's almost somewhat amusing, but it seems like Deidara and Hidan, for being two relatively psychotic and hyperactive characters, seem to be doing all the work for the Akatsuki these days. For all their coolness, Itachi, Kisame, Kakuzu, and Zetsu collectively haven't really shown us a whole lot yet. I guess Kishimoto is just saving all that for later.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4029/totemsao2.jpg
ph3ar the totems!

5. Sooooo scary... Seriously. One look at these totems, I bet you the Akatsuki would flee into the forest crying for their very lives. ...ok, I'm joking.

All the same, these totems irrirated me. I know Naruto is a Shonen title, and meant for little kids for the most part, so Kishimoto probably thought about that while depicting the scene here, but these totems were a bit TOO kiddish-like. I liked the art from when Kakashi performed the seal on Sasuke's curse mark (http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/2322/naruto8607le9.jpg) much better. Ah well, I guess Kishimoto couldn't keep on doing the same motifs over and over for every complicated technique, and this does serve as a more unique-seeming jutsu. Anyway, let's forget the art here for a second: it seems Yamato (or Tenzou, as it would appear, his real name...) is channeling his chakra through this elaborate ritual (note there's exactly nine totems for each of the tails) to suppress the Kyuubi's chakra from afar. This would definitely seem to indicate that Naruto's main weakness whenever using too much chakra would be to allow the Kyuubi more room to operate inside his body.

As for Yamato's real name being revealed, I can't help but feel somewhat half-hearted about finding it out. It's not a bad name at all, but I had gotten so used to calling him and thinking of him as Yamato. Now I'm going to have to decide between calling him by his "assigned" name or his real name, but in this case, I think I'm just going to do what he told Kakashi to do - keep on calling him Yamato. That's probably what Kishimoto wanted us to do as well.

Not surprised that Kakashi knew his real name, though, since they had worked together within the ANBU before. Calling Yamato by his real name was probably a tough habit for him to break. Either that, or he wanted a quick reaction out of his former comrade, which I think was more likely here. If Yamato's in a "trance," it's probably easier to snap him out of it by using his real name than otherwise...

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2875/memeoj9.jpg
Shut up, dumbass.

6. ME > THAT ME > THIS ME...! Gotta admit, I never get tired of the hilarious "clone banter" you see every now and then in the series, and I'd actually like to see more of that. We haven't gotten very much of it as comedy relief since that golden moment when Kakashi fooled Naruto into attacking one of his own duplicates (http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4788/naruto6003gj0.jpg), early on in the first bell test. The Kage Bunshin being Naruto's trademark move, I can imagine sooo many funny moments coming out of being an idiot who's got to deal with mirror images of himself...!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/2569/asumaph6.jpg
Lookin' kickass, even in Raw Quality!

7. Asuma, You Da Man! Finally! I'll admit it, before this storyarc started, I had been somewhat afraid that Kishimoto would just forget about the rest of the Konohagakure jounins as a potentially great supporting cast to Naruto. And lo and behold, we're actually seeing Naruto asking none other than Asuma for advice on wind-type chakra!

If for no other reason, I'm more glad than ever that the "five basic chakra types" were officially introduced, if only because they allow us to see Naruto get to know the other jounins in town. And maybe not just Naruto, either... could we possibly be seeing Sakura getting some tutoring for Kurenai in the ways of genjutsu in the near future? More, Kishimoto, more! :knk

Anyway, I'm loving Asuma more and more as I learn about him. There was some talk among fans here at MH about him being possibly an "evil" character and a "surprise traitor" the past week, and there's some evidence from previous chapters to support that theory, but after this chapter I just can't see him as anything less than a down-to-earth, honest, tough, good-hearted brusier who's got a knack for intimidation. If he's trying to fool us, he's doing a good job.

And is it just me, or does anybody think Asuma would have been an even better jounin instructor for Naruto than Kakashi? Putting aside that they're the same chakra type, they seemed to hit it off pretty well here. Of course, Asuma obviously didn't have much faith in him before witnessing him at the Chuunin Exams, so it's probably for the best that Kakashi DID tutor him early on.

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/2420/chakrabladesnp3.jpg
Now that's what I call a blade.

8. Razor Sharp...! Funny how Asuma conned Naruto into having to pay barbeque for Team 10, including Chouji, with his wind instructions...! Now that wasn't something I was expecting to be the end result of Asuma's shogi game with Shikamaru, heh - heck, I didn't even think Kishimoto was going to return to it.

Anyway, we learned a bit more here about Asuma's chakra blades - turned out that it wasn't really so much a jutsu that he was using to extend the edges of his blades with his chakra, but that his knives reacted to his elemental type. So even Naruto could do it. Though unique metals that absorbs chakra and reacts with its nature are cool and all, you know what this means, don't you?

It means we haven't even really seen what Asuma can do, yet. Still a lot in store to come for him, if Kishimoto ever intends to show us. It also most probably means that Sasuke's Kusangi sword (http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/6246/ch308ukpage09iy8.png) is the same type of metal. Another mystery solved.

Either way, I think these blades will foreshadow a bit of what Naruto may end up eventually adopting as his weapons - though not knuckle blades. But I'll be willing to bet that he also comes in possession of this metal at some point, as well, and uses it to be able to defend himself against Sasuke a little easier. After all Asuma said it himself, "When two weapons clash, the one with the sharper edge will always win," and right now, Sasuke's got the, uh, edge.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Kishimoto throws us a curveball and has Naruto adopt a weapon that's not sharp at all, but just as destructive.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4659/asuma2ag4.jpg
You gettin' all that, Naruto? Good boy.

9. Sharp as a Marble. Okay, so for wind manipulation, you split your chakra into two halves, flow them both back into each other (or probably to be more precise, against each other, and draw the chakra out into thin, sharp pieces via the pressure created by the friction, and make the resulting threads of chakra as thin and razor sharp as possible. Got it.

But I wonder if Naruto actually does...! I'm not at all too surprised that Asuma felt that the concept might be a little difficult for Naruto to grasp. But the other clones seemed to understand pretty well when his bunshin disappeared. Guess we'll see! One thing's for sure, though, Kakashi's right - either way, Naruto is beginning to take serious advantage of his Kage Bunshin. It would be hilarious to imagine Naruto using his bunshins to ask for advice from every wind-type instructor in the town while the rest continues training - but I guess Asuma was the only one.

Wonder how fire, electricity, water, and earth work as visualizations. I'm more curious than ever now...! I really liked how Kishimoto showed us how Naruto would have to visualize his chakra in order to make a wind type jutsu work. Makes it all feel more real, somehow.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1020/tsunadefb3.jpg
Fit to be tied.

10. Time to Go to Work, Boys...! (Finally?) I hate to say it, but it almost seems like Tsunade's been sitting on her butt for the last 10 chapters mumbling things like "gotta stop foolin' around" and "yeah, we've gotta do something." And now we see her finally act, after receiving a message from Chiriku's fellow monk about what happened at the Temple of Fire. "SEND OUT THE BATTALIONS!" Oh well. Raises another question, though: what exactly are these 20 squadrons? ANBU? Or totally new teams? Would they happen to include any of Naruto's generation? Hmm.

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. No surprise there. The first full chapter of Naruto we've had in a while, 20 pages, a colored front page and a colored double spread of the Akatsuki together, a new bijuu, the return of very interesting Akatsuki characters, more insights into the world of chakra, more interaction with Asuma, some comedy relief, and Yamato's real name. Whoa. Almost too much to absorb all at once. But it was a pleasure to read.

Predictions: Probably going to take us back to the Deidara and Tobi battle with the Sanbi. Since the preview seems to usually herald what will happen two chapters later rather than right away, I'm going to guess the training actually won't end next chapter like it seems to imply. I also think Naruto will finally realize after training for a while, that he doesn't need to compete with his clones as much as he needs to work with them, and when he absorbs them all - bam! Game over.

Credits: Thanks to Fnuckale's cleaned RAW, Reaver Reloaded's and Emery's scanlations, and HisshouBuraiken and Yumi-chan's translations, all of which I used for the writing of this review.

Hope you enjoyed, and looking forward to seeing what you think!

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/9625/kakashixd4.jpg
This oddly feels comfortable...

glasskatana
July 28, 2006, 01:48 AM
am I the first to comment back. Good comments as always. I'll comment more later.

Gold Knight
July 28, 2006, 02:15 AM
Thanks. If I take a while to reply this time, it's probably because I'm either sleeping or driving.

Also, I don't think I'll actually be labelling every comment with an image every review, but I did it for the heck of it this time.

sao
July 28, 2006, 02:46 AM
i love reading these comments :P i pick up more things from here than i usually do while reading it myself.

I think the female akatsuki has a flower on her head instead of a rock as it looks like it has petals.

Gold Knight
July 28, 2006, 02:54 AM
Hm, good observation. It does, at that.

I somehow feel like I made my Comments too long (especailly that first comment!) I guess there was just so much to say this time, I couldn't contain it.

sabyr
July 28, 2006, 03:19 AM
loved it. may write more later, but now its 3 in the morning here.

glasskatana
July 28, 2006, 03:44 AM
Hm, good observation. It does, at that.

I somehow feel like I made my Comments too long (especailly that first comment!) I guess there was just so much to say this time, I couldn't contain it.

Not at all. They can never be too long GK. Plus with a color-page, a double spread akatsuki color page, and 20 pages of manga, you really had to make it longer.

This chapter has simply strengthened my idea that Kakashi could teach one clone about that yin-yang chakra stuff while the others train. Also I found it interesting that when a clone is released his info is transfered not only to the original Naruto, but to ALL the clones. I'm ready for some mass training for Naruto. 500 clones continue training on this. 100 clone goes to Asuma for even MORE help. One clone goes to the library. One clone learns battle-tactics. One hangs out and gets info from Kakashi (as I stated before) and 497 clones work on weapon use with TenTen and Taijutsu with gai and Lee. It's PERFECT! And then the original can do whichever thing listed above he wants. Alas, I fear it will never happen.

destinator
July 28, 2006, 04:00 AM
Just awesome GK! I agree on the 238 picture and that some parts are not fitting with the members we have seen so far. And my predtiction from last week was right...that we would see akatasuki acation this week. Well cant wait for the colors of 318!

white silver
July 28, 2006, 07:07 AM
[b][font=verdana][size=1]You can write as LONG AS YOU WANT. I enjoyed every single comment of it. I even love it when you input the images to your posts, very lovely.

Say [color=red]GK, do you have like the ENTIRE LIBRARY of Naruto organized? It seems you can get the necessary pictures for each post you describe, cool! Keep it up, keep it up!

*Don't you find it strange Kakuzu is a lot bigger in the silouhette?*

yeste
July 28, 2006, 08:39 AM
He,he more pictures then ever, you’re comments are becoming more and more fun to read…Great GK !!!

Yes, you’re right about that, colored page is a great way to start a volume!!! Even better if it contains ( like this one ) some eagerly awaited Akatsuki members!!! And they’re fighting a monster!!! And what an odd couple they make!!! And look at this green/blue thing they’re fighting against!!! Yeap, that wore some of my first thoughts on this page… And I was a bit disappointed with this beast!!! Never gotten too involved with the whole tailed-beasts mythology, but this one just looked strange to me??? But that’s just me! Ahhh, man, I even forgot that this beast was a “stand-alone”, without any human to control it and such… This would go unnoticed, if I hadn’t read your comment!!! Nice call, I gotta pay more attention…

But I still think they’re grabbing the monsters too quickly! Somehow, Kishimoto is trying to have the same dead line for all the events, regarding all three parties involved in the plot!?!! I’ll thing about this some more…

Agreed on the Toby subject as well! Also never thought that he’ll become one of the members!!! But I did think that they will get the replacement for Sasori… Somehow, it looks to me that this is the “weakest” duo in the organization,Diedra and Toby… As for Toby being useless, I also don’t think that’s the case. If he got in ( and he obviously did! ) he must be on the level as Sasori’s famous 100 pupets jutsu, since we know he was forced to go to that level when he was joining Akatsuki… So, I’m going with the one, he’s just acting lame, explanation… I also didn’t think much of Hidan when he first showed up, but I guess I was wrong on that???

Nice analysis on that Akatsuki picture as well!!! And a nice theory about that guy that looks like he’s no longer there!!! Another thing I’d miss!!!
I already stated how I love when wild theories go bust, and in this case, I’m loving it!!!! Yesss!!! Driving “Yondaime is the Leader” right to the edge of cliff with just a hair color!!! BTW, I saw a thread where some guys wore actually discussing the possibility of Leader dying his hair!?!! Still don’t know how to explain that to myself!

The return of Diedra!!! Still not sure about this one… But after reading what you said, I guess it’s kind of good for the fans and the plot… Again, not really sure… I think that Diedra should have died along with Sasori in the Gaara arc!!! At least that’s what I was expecting in that particular situation! I mean, there was Kakashi ( with his new/improved MS ) , new Naruto, Gai ( needless to say anything ), Neji, Lee, Ten Ten and no arm Diedra who managed to escape this Konoha force!?!! Again, I don’t wanna bore you with this things, but that one’s still strange for me… :smile-big

He,he, the whole story between Kakashi and Yamato is continuing… Great! About the totems, hmmmm…

I do enjoy the Naruto vs Narutos jokes!!! Always great to see that!!!

It looks like Naruto is going to get himself a weapon… Everything leans toward that… Strangely enough, I didn’t think that much of Asuma’s chakra knives until now… Now they’re pretty cool! It’s also funny that Naruto is always behind Sasuke… We’ve seen this in part one, and it looks like the trend is continuing… Sasuke got the ultra jutsu – Chidori, then Naruto got Rasengan to mach… Sasuke got to alter the nature and the shape of his chakra, Naruto’s doing this right now… Sasuke got a sword to use with this electric nature… I’m betting Naruto will get a weapon real soon…

And a thought here, if he manages to change the nature of his chakra, and then alter the Rasengan technique to be able to create Rasengan with his altered nature chakra, I’m thinking of one cutting ball of destruction here… That would definitely be the jutsu that can cut trough anything! Hmmmm…. :notrust

And, just one more… We’ll finally see some of Tsunade’s teams in action!!! The very idea of them atackin Akatsuki is opening so many possibilities… I’ll stop there!!! :p

Great job GK!!! All ways enjoying this comments!!! Keep it up!!!

Raine_Joybringer
July 28, 2006, 09:50 AM
Hehe, love the pictures :D

Anyway, I've been lazy, especially with last week's chapter... though as interesting as it was, was a little boring to me. I'm really hyped up and wanting some action! And it looks like we got some, if not short.

1. I was not expecting this AT ALL. Really... I'd always wondered if there had been some bijuu that hadn't been captured. The Sanbi would have been the most difficult, seeing as it does live deep down underwater. But I wasn't just not expecting the sudden appearance of this fight scene, but the design of the Sanbi. It's like a turtle, yet... well, it looks more human and yet mutated. On side view, you can see that it has a human-like nose and brow. Kishi must have had both a lot of fun and trouble creating it.

I love the irony of Tobi being paired with Deidara. I think Dei's taking the loss of Sasori quite well, which I thought he wouldn't. Dei's gonna have to find someone new to talk about art with now (haha, send Sai!). But perhaps the loss of Sasori has caused Dei to become more serious and respectful of the work he's doing, seeing as now he has Tobi leeching onto him. And Tobi... well, I do have a bit of a softspot for him I suppose. He's goofy and quirky, though I think I agree that perhaps he's just playing dumb.

2. You can imagine I'm over the moon about this picture, just like many others. And yes! It seems I was right in thinking that particular member was a female. I had been predicting that even before Hidan and Kakuzu showed up. Though, I'll be extremely freaked out if we find out it's really a guy in drag... The flower on her head interests me because it seems familiar to one of my characters in my fanfic. I think there's more to it than just being an indicator of gender or an ornament.

But anyway, finally we get to see Hidan and Kakuzu in colour, as well as finding out Tobi has a thing for orange too, the same goes for the leader's hair (hehe, when I first saw it I went 'OMG! THE LEADER IS ICHIGO FROM BLEACH!'). XD

The only thing I don't like is Kishi's deceptions/errors with the original Akatsuki-in-the-shadows pic. I don't know if it was deliberate or just poor-planning, but I think we've been put through a lot of unneeded speculation regardless.

3. *giggle* More Tobi fun... I laughed at the "Yeee!" part after the bomb.

4. *gasp* Dei's got his arm back! Now I'm convinced that Dei is really a "work of art" in himself. Gah, and that little fish is so darn cute!

5. Meh, I'm not sure what to think about that little ritual set-up there either. I don't even know if it's really needed... Yamato (or Tenzou, I should say), could just point anyway. I don't have much feelings for finding out his real name as well. So much speculation and it suddenly gets blurted out by Kakashi in such a casual way... Yamato is a cooler name anyway.

6. I agree there... arguing with yourself never gets old. Reminds me of a joke one of my friends does where he yells to his brother "Your Momma!" and he yells back "She's your Momma too!". X3 But I'm a sucker for stupid comedy like that. (I'm still hoping to see clone wars!)

7. Now we understand why Asuma has been mentioned more in these last chapters... well, at least a little more (I never believed him to be a bad guy for a second). It would have been a little strange for Naruto to suddenly run up to Asuma after not seeing him at all for ages and then suddenly asking for advice out of the blue. I don't think that's the end though. Perhaps Asuma has something to do with these brigades?

8. Yup, Sasuke's sword mystery has been solved! And I am getting the feeling that Naruto is now considering taking up a weapon of his own to use. I mean, even Sakura has a short sword/knife, so why hasn't Narutp picked up anything yet? And Naruto will have to realise that in order to match Sasuke's sword, he'll need to be able to get something to deflect it. I'm hoping it'll be a pair of Emei Piercers or a pair of Unicorn's Horn Swords. Maybe even a Rope Javelin.

9. Naruto will pick up the concept eventually. Though now I'm curious about the forms of the other chakra natures, like perhaps for water, you have to keep your chakra flexible and soft.

10. Tsunade's finally taking action! About time too... although she seems to hold things back and find out what she can before taking any drastic measures. These brigades are going to be quite interesting. I wonder if the original rookies make up a brigade of their own? Maybe it's even people we have no idea who are? In any case, I have a bad feeling they're being sent to their deaths...

Nice comments this week. It's really gotten me thinking.

Dragonzair
July 28, 2006, 10:09 AM
This chapter screamed of "I LOVE YOU, SARA! THIS IS DEDICATED TO YOU!"

I never enjoyed your comments as much as this. The pics rocked too. And your comments was a fun read through. Thanks ^_^

kiddo7
July 28, 2006, 12:03 PM
^who is SARA???

Hey Gold Knight, I just discovered your 10 comments a few days ago and you will not beleive how eagerly I anticipated the comments for this chapter. I did not want to go to sleep before I read them(I did in the end but thats beside the point). I for one have to say I loved Asuma sensei in this one. Not only did he craftily pass off his debt, after losing to shikamaru, to Naruto but he made it seem like he was doing the kid a favor. and then the comment about choji being in the group,... that just finnished me of!

About Tobi, He strikes me as having the same sort of battle strategy as Vash the Stampede from Trigun or Uruhara Kisuke from Bleach(somewhere inbetween those two), only he is lazy to boot! This makes him an instant favorite of mine, hope we get to see more of him soon.

And about the totems,... Yamato needed to put naruto in a sort of cage when he supressed the kyubi chakra the first time too, So I think it would have been a great inconsistency and logic hole if he could just stand there and point to keep a thousand narutos under controll. The totems are not supposed to be a fashion statement they are just neccesary to spread out his range

Anyway awesome chapter and great comments. I wonder if anyone is doing something like this for bleach?

Anax
July 28, 2006, 01:24 PM
Aww ma~an!! When I saw you were typing a new thread in here I told myself to sit it out and wait. Alas my determination wasn't that strong as I fell asleep, not on the couch but on a frikkin armchair! In the end you were typing for so long that MH showed you as offline and in the daze of my sleepiness I thought you gave up and went to bed, so I followed suit :grin

It's all for the better now, though, since this is going to be a much fresher commentary of the ten comments! And as we say in Greece, let's get to the roast! :D

I) Indeed this was a grand opening of a chapter and a volume! To be greeted by what seemed like an I'm-gonna-swallow-the-ones-who-woke-me-up-whole Sanbi... IN COLOR! That was a very nice treat and although it is still unclear whether this bijuu resides into a jinchuuriki or not, Sanbi definately looked... in the flesh.

As if that weren't enough, the person in front of him proves to be Tobi! Well, since my prediction (don't recall posting it though) was the opposite of yours, I was really glad to see Tobi both an Akatsuki and paired with Deidara (should Deidara be a woman... they'd make a nice couple *cough cough*). Seriously though, don't they fit in this "pairs of opposites" tradition? Don't they remind you of Kakuzu and Hidan, only with two oposing Hidans this time? Actually, if it weren't for Itachi's deathly cold demeanor (and Kisame's admiration?) I think those two would clash often as well. Hell, even Zetsu often disagrees with himself :D All in all, I just think Tobi and Deidara make a nice couple team and I'm looking forward to see more of them together.

Back to Sanbi, I think Kishimoto decided to differ from the tradition he has borrowed so much from, though I can't make a good guess as to why. Kisame could be a reason, being sharky and all, but mostly having with him Samehade, something traditionally related to Isonade... I'm actually starting to wonder if Nibi and Sanbi are called Nekomata and Isonade respectively! Either way, Sanbi being a turtle didn't detract at all from his (its?) prestige in my eyes!

II) This was indeed a nice treat and I'm quite content with the backs of the leader and the blue haired person. Actually I can't wait to see what kind of psycho the flower wearing one will prove to be, especially with Kishimoto's inability to draw sexy women (save for Ino). Could she be the leader's consort? Heh, I can already see the predictions and wacky theories out there...

Concerning Hidan, I'm really glad, it'd be tough if Zarosaki's version looked better than the original!

And now for the Akatsuki teaser... It would appear that Zetsu is hanging from, if not coming out of the ceiling, but hell if anyone can make anything of that smudge of a figure! The person way in the back has to be Hidan, with his weapon on his back, because if it were Zetsu his fly trap part would indicate he's sitting sideways, whereas it looks like this person is facing us. Then again if it IS Hidan, his weapon looks kind of weird... and if it IS Zetsu, who the hell is that guy on the ceiling? And lastly, if that thing on the ceiling is just a hole (no clouds indicating an Akatsuki robe) then the Akatsuki are one person short in this picture!! Then we have the figure talking to Itachi, a figure that looks like no one and I have to give up on... if it DOES prove to be a lost/dead member I'd think it to be lame at least! Lastly, we have the figure behind Kisame, who seems to be Kakuzu, especially from the neck up, since his mask's clearly outlined... BUT, his forhead protector seems to be tied up behind his head, unlike the colored version!! Of course, seen from the neck down, this character is HUGE and standing on higher ground doesn't justify this at all, because he's also wider than you Phil! So, unless Kakuzu is both standing on higher ground and has been on a hunger strike for whatever reason, losing most of his muscle mass, I don't see how it's him there... Perhaps we should all flood Kishimoto with letters asking of him to redraw this picture in detail (or even bettern, incorporate it in a flashback of... say, Itachi's). One way or another, I see this picture being the subject of debate for a long long while.

III) It looks like Tobi is one of those people who pretend to be weak so that their opponent lowers their guard, and then go in for an easy kill. I actually used to know someone like that at school... That or he is just a comical element in an organisation of cold blooded murderers! So far everything he's done is an overexaggeration! Well, perhaps this time it's no so much that he's overreacting, as that the Sanbi is not "compatible" with his fighting style. Anyhow, he reeks of Kabuto-ness if you ask me...

IV) Ok, you got me worrying about Alzheimer's here! When did we see Deidara missing both arms? And didn't he lose one arm through Kakashi's Magenkyou? When did Gaara take his other arm? Ok, I would seriously look something this important up if I had my archive with me, so please do explain if you can :amuse

On another note I'm starting to become all the more irritated at how the Akatsuki are treating the bijuu like gnats! Hidan's and Tobi's sarcastic remarks (more or less "That's a big turtle" and "I'm trapped like a mouse") didn't register so well with me... who are those people anyway?! Yondaime and so many others fought and died to contain the Kyuubi and these guys are making fun of Nibi and Sanbi? The only way Kishimoto can make up for this in my eyes is to show that much of a difference in the Kyuubi's power, compared to all the rest!

What is worse though is seeing cute little plaster fishies having an effect on the Sanbi with their pitiful explosions! C'mon, is that the power of the bijuu? The first time Deidara pulled off something like this with Gaara, I was expecting a reversal from the latter till the bitter end, and now this? Deidara should hardly be stronger than Sasori when facing opponents of this... size. It is no surprise that Sasori could conquer a country with his 100 poisoned puppets, but I don't see how that would help him against a bijuu. In the same manner, although explosions are powerfull against most types of opponents (I guess not against something "formless" like an elemental, but we haven't seen something like that, and may the manga gods save us from a Majin Buu in Naruto either way) Deidara shouldn't be able to handle the Sanbi with such ease... Well, ok, I shouldn't let my personal distaste get so much in the way (Deidara and I even have different views on art) :darn

EDIT/ I also think the opening scene is when they first meet up with the Sanbi, who for whatever reason was drawn to them, all because of Tobi's remark... I mean, that's something you say when you first meet a monster, not after you've fought for a while, ne? It would also be somewhat weird to throw us in an already started fight =/ Well, that's how I see it anyway :p

Closing this comment, I agree with you on the Sanbi matter, this time we need to see more than just the beginning and the end of the fight, only in my case not so much for the sake of Tobi but Deidara (yes, I can't let go...).

V) Following the usuall tradition I missed yet another eye poker, that being the dog like faces on top of the pillars actually making them... totems. It's probably because your comment influenced me, but it seems it'd be better if the totems truly where pillars... You also made me wonder what was in Kishimoto's mind when he was drawing these... and I also agree on the traditional lines of giberish spreading from a point of focus to the surroundings (see Sasori's sealing, Sasuke's sealing of the cursed seal and Neji's healing after the Kidoumaru fight) been done to death, although it is a tradition so I'm kinda fond of it :p Anyhow, this is an overal nice scene and in my eyes the mystical sensation that permeats it, more than makes up for a few dog faced totems :tem

Now the revelation of Yamato's true name is something that really caught me off guard! Yamato and Tenzou both have a nice ring to them and I don't mind either being used, especially since I don't know the hidden meanings behind them.

VI) Despite the fact that, like you, I never get tired of that joke, I have long crossed the threshold of my patience with Naruto's stupidity! It's just too much! Hasn't he grown up at all? Being bad with descriptions and good with demonstrations is one thing. Hell, oftentimes a genius in math may not be able to word a simple "What did you do last summer" high school "composition". Fighting with your clones though is a whole different story... If Naruto knows he's using Kage Bunshin then all the clones should know it as well and they should know they are just that, clones! So far it seems they are true clones of Naruto, not puppets, each one of them with a personality identical to that of Naruto, thus all of then reacting the same way and ending up with hilarious events such as the one you brought up earlier. Worse yet, it seems like the more of him there are, the more stupid they get!! Well, I can always hope that 1337 chapters later Naruto will be so skilled in the use of Kage Bunshin that his IQ will NOT be split equally among them!

VII) It's great to see more and more of Asuma, and just like your case he's growing in me with every appearance, allthough I have to admit Sara chan played a role in this... Also, he does seem to have done a good
job with Naruto, although I wonder what would an extensive training of Naruto do to his nerves... It seems like he is the kind of laid back person who wouldn't worry too much about Naruto understanding his explanations, but still there was something in his tricking Naruto to take the team for barbeque that I didn't like. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it could be that Asuma still doesn't have faith in Naruto, so he thought that something ought to come out of this either way. That or I'm just nitpicking on some comedy relief :D

As for Asuma being a traitor, I just don't see it no matter what. Perhaps I just don't want to, but it would sure be a great surprise for me no matter how many people have already mentioned it...

VIII) To be honest about this, since "jutsu" means technique among other things, even Lee's kicks should be considered jutsu, but of course in Naruto things aren't like this, and since all Asuma does is channel his chakra into his blades, it doesn't really look like a jutsu. Then again, isn't the Rasengan a canneling of chakra into your palm, only with a different visualization, (and different kind of channeling?) resulting in a different effect? I wonder...

And on the weapons department, I think in the past you had mentioned seeing Naruto trained by Asuma to use such knuckle blades would be a nice possibility, though I think you had said it for fun. The funniest thing of all though, is that when I had posted in the "make your own nin" thread, the cat nin I made was supposed to use a sort of weapon like Asuma's blades and like the ones you drew, also using something like wind nature manipulation, though I didn't know about it then!! To be honest, my version of the chapter in which Asuma used his blades against Kisame was LQ so I didn't really see the chakra around the blades then. Oh well, it's just funny that Asuma proved so similar to my cat nin (and that forces me to change him, but then, I won't be using him anytime soon so it's ok).

Concerning Naruto's weapon training, I just can't imagine him using anything other than a kunai... Hopefully, Kishimoto will think of something to surprise us all in a good way... again! Really now, it would be interesting if we had yet another similarity between Yondaime and Naruto to talk about, and yes, I'm talking of the former's special kunai that could summon him! Perhaps Naruto will be using special Kunai that can absorb and react to his chakra... perhaps. One way or another though, I don't expect them to be cheap, and if he's gonna take Asuma's team to barbeque 1-2 times more in exchange for training, I see him broke :grin

IX) Call me dense if you may but Asuma's explanation doesn't really tell me much :darn Really now, how should I split my chakra into two and have each half flow back into each other and then draw out thin, sharp "blades"... Your "against" as opposed to Asuma's "into" did help a bit, but only a bit. I'd feel much more comfortable trying it on my own, keeping in mind the general idea of Asuma's words, holding a special blade and trying to make it so the chakra around it is sharp. I think I'm visualizing what Asuma would want me to, but I wouldn't word it that way... oh well :p

X) Well, to defend the iron lady, let me say that her actions might have been condemned to obscurity by Kishi :o (Let's forget that she's a known slacker for a while) Seriously, I'd like to think she takes a lot of decisions (always under Shizune's watchful eye), but we don't get to see them, mainly because they involve so many ninja, other than those we are acquainted with :tem

And this concludes this week's comments of the ten comments. Thanks for bringing those comments sooner than expected Phil, much appreciated! :tem Also, the pics where a nice addition and well placed (especially the arrangement of Deidara, Sanbi and Tobi in the opening), but it's ok if you don't do this all the time, this was a special chapter after all :tem

If anything seems weird and unlike something I'd say... er, I have no excuse :sweat I'm just in a weird mood :blink

Dragonzair
July 28, 2006, 01:52 PM
t's great to see more and more of Asuma, and just like your case he's growing in me with every appearance, allthough I have to admit Sara chan played a role in this

Oh, blame the Dizzy. >________> *cough* I'll admit to that. Fine.

glasskatana
July 28, 2006, 02:14 PM
Wow, I fall asleep and look what happens. So many long responses.

Well, I was wondering, that Sanbi looks like it is just a bijuu with no jinchuuriki right? How are they going to put it in that statue thing. Are they going to drag it back? Do they even have a technique for simply absorbing bijuu? Somehow I fear that it may turn out that it is indeed a jinchuuriki. In some ways that would disappoint me, but at the same time I would feel better because if 2 Akatsuki members (1 who only has 1 arm) can take down an unrestrained full power bijuu, then they're not nearly as powerful as I thought.

Anax
July 28, 2006, 04:03 PM
Glasskatana we agree on both of your posts, shadow clone management and the fight with Sanbi. Still, Naruto has already started sending his clones here and there and it may as well be the beginning of a major boost in Naruto's coolness. Again, call me dense but when Naruto went out in a poof, I couldn't help but this that's what the ANBU do every time they vanish, release some sort of Bunshin jutsu (not this particular kinjutsu but the other, weaker version). I have to admit though, the smoke is not the same when people other than Naruto release the jutsu. I wonder...

Luckas
July 28, 2006, 04:26 PM
Posted by: Anax

IX) Call me dense if you may but Asuma's explanation doesn't really tell me much darn Really now, how should split my chakra into two and have each half flow back into each other and then draw out think, sharp "blades"... Your "against" as opposed to Asuma's "into" did help a bit, but only a bit. I'd feel much more comfortable trying it on my own, keeping in mind the general idea of Asuma's words, holding a special blade and trying to make it so the chakra around it is sharp. I think I'm visualizing what Asuma would want me to, but I wouldn't word it that way... oh well p

I'm relieved I thought I was the only one who don't understand the explanation of Asuma about visualizing for wind chakra manipulation.
If someone would like to elborate I wouldn't mind ;)

yeste
July 28, 2006, 05:24 PM
Well, I was wondering, that Sanbi looks like it is just a bijuu with no jinchuuriki right? How are they going to put it in that statue thing. Are they going to drag it back? Do they even have a technique for simply absorbing bijuu? Somehow I fear that it may turn out that it is indeed a jinchuuriki. In some ways that would disappoint me, but at the same time I would feel better because if 2 Akatsuki members (1 who only has 1 arm) can take down an unrestrained full power bijuu, then they're not nearly as powerful as I thought.

Oh man, i agree with you 100%...

glasskatana
July 28, 2006, 05:39 PM
Glasskatana we agree on both of your posts, shadow clone management and the fight with Sanbi. Still, Naruto has already started sending his clones here and there and it may as well be the beginning of a major boost in Naruto's coolness. Again, call me dense but when Naruto went out in a poof, I couldn't help but this that's what the ANBU do every time they vanish, release some sort of Bunshin jutsu (not this particular kinjutsu but the other, weaker version). I have to admit though, the smoke is not the same when people other than Naruto release the jutsu. I wonder...

Oh yes, I can just see an entire village's worth of Naruto jumping around training in Konoha. Perfection.

Oh man, i agree with you 100%...

YAY!
Oh and your sig quote from FMA is one of the funniest lines. I remember laughing for minutes on-end when I read it in the manga. FMA FOREVER!!!

yeste
July 28, 2006, 08:36 PM
Looks around, no one is watching... So...

FMA fans are taking over this thread!!!

Yes we are, and we're changing it to:

10 comments why Ed is cooler than Naruto!!!

Ha,ha!!!! :p

OK, so first thing would be.........

He, just joking around!!!I go crazzzy when i'm sleepy... so... :smile-big Sorry about this!!!

BYE!

Gold Knight
July 28, 2006, 09:25 PM
First of all, thanks everybody for reading and the compliments. :)

This chapter has simply strengthened my idea that Kakashi could teach one clone about that yin-yang chakra stuff while the others train.

Yes, it's really more or less Kakashi just avoiding doing so. Or rather Yamato. But since it's likely something that Naruto can't do right now anyway, I'm sure they don't think it's particularly important to teach Naruto right now.

Also I found it interesting that when a clone is released his info is transfered not only to the original Naruto, but to ALL the clones. I'm ready for some mass training for Naruto. 500 clones continue training on this. 100 clone goes to Asuma for even MORE help. One clone goes to the library. One clone learns battle-tactics. One hangs out and gets info from Kakashi (as I stated before) and 497 clones work on weapon use with TenTen and Taijutsu with gai and Lee. It's PERFECT! And then the original can do whichever thing listed above he wants. Alas, I fear it will never happen.

100 clones bothering Asuma would likely result into a speedy extermination XD

Right now, I think Naruto is so dense that he needs his whole "clone army" to do the same thing just to this training finished as quickly as possible.

Just awesome GK! I agree on the 238 picture and that some parts are not fitting with the members we have seen so far. And my predtiction from last week was right...that we would see akatasuki acation this week. Well cant wait for the colors of 318!

Good job on that prediction ;)

Say GK, do you have like the ENTIRE LIBRARY of Naruto organized? It seems you can get the necessary pictures for each post you describe, cool! Keep it up, keep it up!

I do have an entire library at my disposal, on my external drive. Have re-read it all at least 20 times. And yeah, it's coming in handy for these reviews. :)

*Don't you find it strange Kakuzu is a lot bigger in the silouhette?*

That's pretty much where the "weight loss program" comment came from under the pic XD I don't know what's up with Kakuzu in the old double spread, but it may be hinting at an ability he has similar to Chouji, or a yet as unrevealed "true" appearance. Who knows? He does seem to be hiding something.

Yes, you’re right about that, colored page is a great way to start a volume!!! Even better if it contains ( like this one ) some eagerly awaited Akatsuki members!!! And they’re fighting a monster!!! And what an odd couple they make!!! And look at this green/blue thing they’re fighting against!!! Yeap, that wore some of my first thoughts on this page… And I was a bit disappointed with this beast!!! Never gotten too involved with the whole tailed-beasts mythology, but this one just looked strange to me??? But that’s just me! Ahhh, man, I even forgot that this beast was a “stand-alone”, without any human to control it and such… This would go unnoticed, if I hadn’t read your comment!!! Nice call, I gotta pay more attention…

Well, it's just an assumption, but it looks that way...

But I still think they’re grabbing the monsters too quickly! Somehow, Kishimoto is trying to have the same dead line for all the events, regarding all three parties involved in the plot!?!! I’ll thing about this some more…

Well, it IS getting close to the deadline for the Akatsuki's plan to go in effect, so it makes sense they're acting now.

Agreed on the Toby subject as well! Also never thought that he’ll become one of the members!!! But I did think that they will get the replacement for Sasori… Somehow, it looks to me that this is the “weakest” duo in the organization,Diedra and Toby… As for Toby being useless, I also don’t think that’s the case. If he got in ( and he obviously did! ) he must be on the level as Sasori’s famous 100 pupets jutsu, since we know he was forced to go to that level when he was joining Akatsuki… So, I’m going with the one, he’s just acting lame, explanation… I also didn’t think much of Hidan when he first showed up, but I guess I was wrong on that???

I'm sure we'll find out more about Tobi in due time. I don't necessarily think that the Akatsuki ALL have to be powerhouses, though, just clever and sneaky.

Nice analysis on that Akatsuki picture as well!!! And a nice theory about that guy that looks like he’s no longer there!!! Another thing I’d miss!!!
I already stated how I love when wild theories go bust, and in this case, I’m loving it!!!! Yesss!!! Driving “Yondaime is the Leader” right to the edge of cliff with just a hair color!!! BTW, I saw a thread where some guys wore actually discussing the possibility of Leader dying his hair!?!! Still don’t know how to explain that to myself!

Dye, huh... well, if he's using dye, then he could actually have pink hair and be Sakura's father! O NOES! XD

Always funny to see what excuses fans of such theories will come up with. Hehe.

The return of Diedra!!! Still not sure about this one… But after reading what you said, I guess it’s kind of good for the fans and the plot… Again, not really sure… I think that Diedra should have died along with Sasori in the Gaara arc!!! At least that’s what I was expecting in that particular situation! I mean, there was Kakashi ( with his new/improved MS ) , new Naruto, Gai ( needless to say anything ), Neji, Lee, Ten Ten and no arm Diedra who managed to escape this Konoha force!?!! Again, I don’t wanna bore you with this things, but that one’s still strange for me… :smile-big

I was so glad that Deidara didn't die back then. Although it would have been poetic to die quickly in comparison to the slow defeat of Sasori, I felt it would have been way too anticlimatic. I had expected ALL the Akatsuki to be incredibly tough to beat, and Sasori proved that. And in his way, Deidara did as well.

It looks like Naruto is going to get himself a weapon… Everything leans toward that… Strangely enough, I didn’t think that much of Asuma’s chakra knives until now… Now they’re pretty cool! It’s also funny that Naruto is always behind Sasuke… We’ve seen this in part one, and it looks like the trend is continuing… Sasuke got the ultra jutsu – Chidori, then Naruto got Rasengan to mach… Sasuke got to alter the nature and the shape of his chakra, Naruto’s doing this right now… Sasuke got a sword to use with this electric nature… I’m betting Naruto will get a weapon real soon…

And a thought here, if he manages to change the nature of his chakra, and then alter the Rasengan technique to be able to create Rasengan with his altered nature chakra, I’m thinking of one cutting ball of destruction here… That would definitely be the jutsu that can cut trough anything! Hmmmm…. :notrust

Haha. Yeah, the whole weapon subplot will be interesting to watch.

And, just one more… We’ll finally see some of Tsunade’s teams in action!!! The very idea of them atackin Akatsuki is opening so many possibilities… I’ll stop there!!! :p

Great job GK!!! All ways enjoying this comments!!! Keep it up!!!

Hell yea! And thanks. ^_^

Hehe, love the pictures :D

Glad you do :D

Anyway, I've been lazy, especially with last week's chapter... though as interesting as it was, was a little boring to me. I'm really hyped up and wanting some action! And it looks like we got some, if not short.

1. I was not expecting this AT ALL. Really... I'd always wondered if there had been some bijuu that hadn't been captured. The Sanbi would have been the most difficult, seeing as it does live deep down underwater. But I wasn't just not expecting the sudden appearance of this fight scene, but the design of the Sanbi. It's like a turtle, yet... well, it looks more human and yet mutated. On side view, you can see that it has a human-like nose and brow. Kishi must have had both a lot of fun and trouble creating it.

Yeah. I shudder to think what Kishimoto has in store for the Yonbi, considering it's supposed to be snake-ish and cockatrice-ish...

I love the irony of Tobi being paired with Deidara. I think Dei's taking the loss of Sasori quite well, which I thought he wouldn't. Dei's gonna have to find someone new to talk about art with now (haha, send Sai!). But perhaps the loss of Sasori has caused Dei to become more serious and respectful of the work he's doing, seeing as now he has Tobi leeching onto him. And Tobi... well, I do have a bit of a softspot for him I suppose. He's goofy and quirky, though I think I agree that perhaps he's just playing dumb.

I thought Deidara took Sasori's death pretty well even back when he learned about it originally. He did briefly acknowledge that Sasori's death was one worthy of an artist such as him. Haha, but Sai would have been an interesting partner for him. XD

And now I suppsoe you're right, the roles are reversed for Dei. From student to master, now, and he's apparently stuck with the "n00b Akatsuki." But let's look at it this way though: Dei might have just been in a bad mood back then when he wanted nothing to do with Tobi, and for understandable reasons - he had just lost one of his arms and a chance at capturing the Kyuubi, was trying to find the ring, and so on...

2. You can imagine I'm over the moon about this picture, just like many others. And yes! It seems I was right in thinking that particular member was a female. I had been predicting that even before Hidan and Kakuzu showed up. Though, I'll be extremely freaked out if we find out it's really a guy in drag... The flower on her head interests me because it seems familiar to one of my characters in my fanfic. I think there's more to it than just being an indicator of gender or an ornament.

I really hope it's not a guy in drag XD We already went thru that with Sakon.

But anyway, finally we get to see Hidan and Kakuzu in colour, as well as finding out Tobi has a thing for orange too, the same goes for the leader's hair (hehe, when I first saw it I went 'OMG! THE LEADER IS ICHIGO FROM BLEACH!'). XD

Haha. Hmm, it does look orange-ish though, but darker than Ichigo's. Heh.

The only thing I don't like is Kishi's deceptions/errors with the original Akatsuki-in-the-shadows pic. I don't know if it was deliberate or just poor-planning, but I think we've been put through a lot of unneeded speculation regardless.

True...

3. *giggle* More Tobi fun... I laughed at the "Yeee!" part after the bomb.

XD

4. *gasp* Dei's got his arm back! Now I'm convinced that Dei is really a "work of art" in himself. Gah, and that little fish is so darn cute!

Yeah, I agree with the "work of art" concept - probably the one thing he did have in common with Sasori, he made himself into a weapon. And haha. Yeah, Deidara's "art" is kinda enduring.

5. Meh, I'm not sure what to think about that little ritual set-up there either. I don't even know if it's really needed... Yamato (or Tenzou, I should say), could just point anyway. I don't have much feelings for finding out his real name as well. So much speculation and it suddenly gets blurted out by Kakashi in such a casual way... Yamato is a cooler name anyway.

Like kiddo7 said, I can understand the need for an elaborate ritual. It's the Kyuubi after all. I just wish the design had been better. And yeah, I agree - that was kind of too casual a revelation for my liking. I would have preferred to wait to find out his real name until a Gaiden of some kind, even.

6. I agree there... arguing with yourself never gets old. Reminds me of a joke one of my friends does where he yells to his brother "Your Momma!" and he yells back "She's your Momma too!". X3 But I'm a sucker for stupid comedy like that. (I'm still hoping to see clone wars!)

XD ... And yeah, me too! Clone wars FTW! I'm still waiting for some fun double spreads centering on Naruto's training, but I guess we got some cool ones this week regardless.

7. Now we understand why Asuma has been mentioned more in these last chapters... well, at least a little more (I never believed him to be a bad guy for a second). It would have been a little strange for Naruto to suddenly run up to Asuma after not seeing him at all for ages and then suddenly asking for advice out of the blue. I don't think that's the end though. Perhaps Asuma has something to do with these brigades?

Eh, Kishimoto would have been able to include Asuma in this chapter just fine without previous appearances. With all the Asuma-related scenes and hints lately, I'm sure Kishi still has more in the plans for Asuma. I'm just glad that we're just seeing more of Asuma in Part 2 instead of Gai for a change (nothing against Gai, but we've seen enough from him.)

8. Yup, Sasuke's sword mystery has been solved! And I am getting the feeling that Naruto is now considering taking up a weapon of his own to use. I mean, even Sakura has a short sword/knife, so why hasn't Narutp picked up anything yet? And Naruto will have to realise that in order to match Sasuke's sword, he'll need to be able to get something to deflect it. I'm hoping it'll be a pair of Emei Piercers or a pair of Unicorn's Horn Swords. Maybe even a Rope Javelin.

I like the javelin idea, heh. But would seem kind of out of place.

9. Naruto will pick up the concept eventually. Though now I'm curious about the forms of the other chakra natures, like perhaps for water, you have to keep your chakra flexible and soft.

Most likely water chakra requires some kind of controlling of its "flow" as well. Just made me think about Water being possibly Neji's natural element.

10. Tsunade's finally taking action! About time too... although she seems to hold things back and find out what she can before taking any drastic measures. These brigades are going to be quite interesting. I wonder if the original rookies make up a brigade of their own? Maybe it's even people we have no idea who are? In any case, I have a bad feeling they're being sent to their deaths...

Nice comments this week. It's really gotten me thinking.

Glad to hear it! :) :glomp

This chapter screamed of "I LOVE YOU, SARA! THIS IS DEDICATED TO YOU!"

I never enjoyed your comments as much as this. The pics rocked too. And your comments was a fun read through. Thanks ^_^

Thanks Sara! :glomp

^who is SARA???

Dragonzair. ^^ She's a big fan of Asuma.

Hey Gold Knight, I just discovered your 10 comments a few days ago and you will not beleive how eagerly I anticipated the comments for this chapter. I did not want to go to sleep before I read them(I did in the end but thats beside the point). I for one have to say I loved Asuma sensei in this one. Not only did he craftily pass off his debt, after losing to shikamaru, to Naruto but he made it seem like he was doing the kid a favor. and then the comment about choji being in the group,... that just finnished me of!

Haha, I'm glad you're enjoying my comments. But please don't neglect your sleep because of them :sweatdrop :D

And yes, that was funny! There was a translation somewhere here where the translator had Shikamaru say "my balls are sweating..." in response. Ahaha.

Poor Naruto.

About Tobi, He strikes me as having the same sort of battle strategy as Vash the Stampede from Trigun or Uruhara Kisuke from Bleach(somewhere inbetween those two), only he is lazy to boot! This makes him an instant favorite of mine, hope we get to see more of him soon.

He's certainly a different kind of villain, it seems.

And about the totems,... Yamato needed to put naruto in a sort of cage when he supressed the kyubi chakra the first time too, So I think it would have been a great inconsistency and logic hole if he could just stand there and point to keep a thousand narutos under controll. The totems are not supposed to be a fashion statement they are just neccesary to spread out his range

I agree. Nevertheless, they looked like they were trying to be a fashion statement... for kids. That was my problem with it. ;)

Anyway awesome chapter and great comments. I wonder if anyone is doing something like this for bleach?

Gigantor is doing his own reviews of Bleach here, but he's been a little behind. Probably busy with life.

Aww ma~an!! When I saw you were typing a new thread in here I told myself to sit it out and wait. Alas my determination wasn't that strong as I fell asleep, not on the couch but on a frikkin armchair! In the end you were typing for so long that MH showed you as offline and in the daze of my sleepiness I thought you gave up and went to bed, so I followed suit :grin

I don't believe this XD People are camping out for MY reviews? Haha. You guys have to understand, tho, that whenever I'm in the Manga Scrapbooks typing, I'm most likely taking my time doing it, and going off all the time doing other things, as well...! Though I have to admit it DID take me a while typing out these Ten Comments. Anyway, thanks for your eagerness :D

I) Indeed this was a grand opening of a chapter and a volume! To be greeted by what seemed like an I'm-gonna-swallow-the-ones-who-woke-me-up-whole Sanbi... IN COLOR! That was a very nice treat and although it is still unclear whether this bijuu resides into a jinchuuriki or not, Sanbi definately looked... in the flesh.

Yep, that's why I thought it was free of a jinchuuriki.

As if that weren't enough, the person in front of him proves to be Tobi! Well, since my prediction (don't recall posting it though) was the opposite of yours, I was really glad to see Tobi both an Akatsuki and paired with Deidara (should Deidara be a woman... they'd make a nice couple *cough cough*). Seriously though, don't they fit in this "pairs of opposites" tradition? Don't they remind you of Kakuzu and Hidan, only with two oposing Hidans this time? Actually, if it weren't for Itachi's deathly cold demeanor (and Kisame's admiration?) I think those two would clash often as well. Hell, even Zetsu often disagrees with himself :D All in all, I just think Tobi and Deidara make a nice couple team and I'm looking forward to see more of them together.

That would depend on how they "oppose," I suppose, which has not quite been revealed yet. Let's say that Tobi has no interest in art, that would be a different type of "opposition" from the one Deidara had with Sasori. Or Deidara is gung-ho and eager to fight everybody, and Tobi prefers just to sit back and relax, watching.

Back to Sanbi, I think Kishimoto decided to differ from the tradition he has borrowed so much from, though I can't make a good guess as to why. Kisame could be a reason, being sharky and all, but mostly having with him Samehade, something traditionally related to Isonade... I'm actually starting to wonder if Nibi and Sanbi are called Nekomata and Isonade respectively! Either way, Sanbi being a turtle didn't detract at all from his (its?) prestige in my eyes!

I had forgotten about Samehada being traditionally a creature that attached itself to the Isonade. Ah well, yeah, it does look like Kishimoto is kind of taking some different approaches. He's just obviously taking ideas from that Japanese mythology. That's what artistic license is all about, I guess.

And now for the Akatsuki teaser... It would appear that Zetsu is hanging from, if not coming out of the ceiling, but hell if anyone can make anything of that smudge of a figure!

Judging by the dialogue coming from that shape, it's most definitely Deidara. He said "...un" there. He looks like he's been cocooned there... or maybe he was encased within a bat-like clay-jutsu.

The person way in the back has to be Hidan, with his weapon on his back, because if it were Zetsu his fly trap part would indicate he's sitting sideways, whereas it looks like this person is facing us. Then again if it IS Hidan, his weapon looks kind of weird...

I think that's Sasori's Hiruko back there. The three "points" you see there are likely the ends of Hiruko's hair bands.

Zetsu is the one coming from the right, because the dialogue coming from him is Zetsu-like, and also he was reporting what he saw at the Valley of the End.

if it DOES prove to be a lost/dead member I'd think it to be lame at least!

I dunno. They ARE hunting bijuu after all. And they're evidently supposed to number ten people, but have been missing a ring ever since Orochimaru's departure. And one of their members recently died to his grandmother and a girl. Hey, anything can happen.

Lastly, we have the figure behind Kisame, who seems to be Kakuzu, especially from the neck up, since his mask's clearly outlined... BUT, his forhead protector seems to be tied up behind his head, unlike the colored version!! Of course, seen from the neck down, this character is HUGE and standing on higher ground doesn't justify this at all, because he's also wider than you Phil! So, unless Kakuzu is both standing on higher ground and has been on a hunger strike for whatever reason, losing most of his muscle mass, I don't see how it's him there...

Agreed, but he does seem to have some kind of muscle-related powers, so perhaps he can also grow as well, similar to Chouji. But I guess we won't find out until we see Kakuzu in a real fight.

One way or another, I see this picture being the subject of debate for a long long while.

Haha. Yeah, agreed totally.

III) It looks like Tobi is one of those people who pretend to be weak so that their opponent lowers their guard, and then go in for an easy kill. I actually used to know someone like that at school... That or he is just a comical element in an organisation of cold blooded murderers! So far everything he's done is an overexaggeration! Well, perhaps this time it's no so much that he's overreacting, as that the Sanbi is not "compatible" with his fighting style. Anyhow, he reeks of Kabuto-ness if you ask me...

I have the same feelings.

IV) Ok, you got me worrying about Alzheimer's here! When did we see Deidara missing both arms? And didn't he lose one arm through Kakashi's Magenkyou? When did Gaara take his other arm? Ok, I would seriously look something this important up if I had my archive with me, so please do explain if you can :amuse

Behold the grisly maiming of Deidara's limbs:

Deidara's arm being crushed by Gaara's sand (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/9343/narutoch248p19yn9.png)

Deidara ripping the remainder of his crushed arm away from Gaara's sand (http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/9677/deidaraarm1gc6.png)

Note that he never once complained about the loss of arm the entire time Sasori and Deidara brought Gaara back to the rest of the Akatsuki. You'd think he would suffer from blood loss, but nope...

And then, of course, Kakashi's Mangekyou Sharingan took his other arm. (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/958/v31ch27609ig2.png)

And hence, this is why Deidara had to use his legs, instead, to dish out some punishment to Tobi... (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2529/v32ch28116di7.png) XD

On another note I'm starting to become all the more irritated at how the Akatsuki are treating the bijuu like gnats! Hidan's and Tobi's sarcastic remarks (more or less "That's a big turtle" and "I'm trapped like a mouse") didn't register so well with me... who are those people anyway?! Yondaime and so many others fought and died to contain the Kyuubi and these guys are making fun of Nibi and Sanbi? The only way Kishimoto can make up for this in my eyes is to show that much of a difference in the Kyuubi's power, compared to all the rest!

They're definitely cocky, that's for sure - I guess they're comprised of the world's criminal geniuses. If Orochimaru was on their team at one point, and now Itachi, you know they're all dangerous.

But keep in mind, Kyuubi is still the most powerful of all the bijuu, the most scariest. Even Deidara was like, "oh no wonder he was so strong" (http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8443/v31ch27708tc7.png) when he realized Naruto was the Kyuubi.

What is worse though is seeing cute little plaster fishies having an effect on the Sanbi with their pitiful explosions!

C'mon, you've been bothered by flies before. I'm sure that's what all these explosions are to the Sanbi at the moment. I'm still wondering how Tobi and Deidara expect to capture this bijuu, though. We still haven't seen them "net" the bijuu yet, so to speak.

Closing this comment, I agree with you on the Sanbi matter, this time we need to see more than just the beginning and the end of the fight, only in my case not so much for the sake of Tobi but Deidara (yes, I can't let go...).

Agreed!

V) Following the usuall tradition I missed yet another eye poker, that being the dog like faces on top of the pillars actually making them... totems. It's probably because your comment influenced me, but it seems it'd be better if the totems truly where pillars...

Agreed, "pillars" would have been better.

You also made me wonder what was in Kishimoto's mind when he was drawing these... and I also agree on the traditional lines of giberish spreading from a point of focus to the surroundings (see Sasori's sealing, Sasuke's sealing of the cursed seal and Neji's healing after the Kidoumaru fight) been done to death, although it is a tradition so I'm kinda fond of it :p Anyhow, this is an overal nice scene and in my eyes the mystical sensation that permeats it, more than makes up for a few dog faced totems :tem

Now the revelation of Yamato's true name is something that really caught me off guard! Yamato and Tenzou both have a nice ring to them and I don't mind either being used, especially since I don't know the hidden meanings behind them.

Yamato is just an ancient name for Japan. I've seen "Yamato" being used before, in a Mega Man game, for a boss called "Yamato Man." As for "Tenzou," I'm curious too.

VI) Despite the fact that, like you, I never get tired of that joke, I have long crossed the threshold of my patience with Naruto's stupidity! It's just too much! Hasn't he grown up at all? Being bad with descriptions and good with demonstrations is one thing. Hell, oftentimes a genius in math may not be able to word a simple "What did you do last summer" high school "composition". Fighting with your clones though is a whole different story... If Naruto knows he's using Kage Bunshin then all the clones should know it as well and they should know they are just that, clones! So far it seems they are true clones of Naruto, not puppets, each one of them with a personality identical to that of Naruto, thus all of then reacting the same way and ending up with hilarious events such as the one you brought up earlier. Worse yet, it seems like the more of him there are, the more stupid they get!! Well, I can always hope that 1337 chapters later Naruto will be so skilled in the use of Kage Bunshin that his IQ will NOT be split equally among them!

Well, part of Naruto's charm is he's not a genius, but he's still pretty wise in his ways. But I'd never expect him to be Shikamaru or anything.

VIII) To be honest about this, since "jutsu" means technique among other things, even Lee's kicks should be considered jutsu, but of course in Naruto things aren't like this, and since all Asuma does is channel his chakra into his blades, it doesn't really look like a jutsu. Then again, isn't the Rasengan a canneling of chakra into your palm, only with a different visualization, (and different kind of channeling?) resulting in a different effect? I wonder...

True, it's still a "jutsu" but you know what I mean. It's not an unique jutsu. But maybe Asuma doesn't have a signature move like most clans, but that'd be surprising considering who his father is.

And on the weapons department, I think in the past you had mentioned seeing Naruto trained by Asuma to use such knuckle blades would be a nice possibility, though I think you had said it for fun. The funniest thing of all though, is that when I had posted in the "make your own nin" thread, the cat nin I made was supposed to use a sort of weapon like Asuma's blades and like the ones you drew, also using something like wind nature manipulation, though I didn't know about it then!! To be honest, my version of the chapter in which Asuma used his blades against Kisame was LQ so I didn't really see the chakra around the blades then. Oh well, it's just funny that Asuma proved so similar to my cat nin (and that forces me to change him, but then, I won't be using him anytime soon so it's ok).

Yeah, I used to have that LQ page as well. Well, here's the HQ version, courtesy of Inane. ^_^

Say Ouch, Kisame! (http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/871/asumabladeqc3.png)

Concerning Naruto's weapon training, I just can't imagine him using anything other than a kunai... Hopefully, Kishimoto will think of something to surprise us all in a good way... again! Really now, it would be interesting if we had yet another similarity between Yondaime and Naruto to talk about, and yes, I'm talking of the former's special kunai that could summon him! Perhaps Naruto will be using special Kunai that can absorb and react to his chakra... perhaps. One way or another though, I don't expect them to be cheap, and if he's gonna take Asuma's team to barbeque 1-2 times more in exchange for training, I see him broke :grin

I really don't have a clue what Kishimoto intends to do with Naruto as far as any possible weapon trainings. Kunai blades still seem the best. Heck, they're good enough for Kakashi and Yamato right now. But like somebody said in a previous thread, they really don't do that much damage. So, I don't know.

IX) Call me dense if you may but Asuma's explanation doesn't really tell me much :darn Really now, how should I split my chakra into two and have each half flow back into each other and then draw out thin, sharp "blades"... Your "against" as opposed to Asuma's "into" did help a bit, but only a bit. I'd feel much more comfortable trying it on my own, keeping in mind the general idea of Asuma's words, holding a special blade and trying to make it so the chakra around it is sharp. I think I'm visualizing what Asuma would want me to, but I wouldn't word it that way... oh well :p

The way I understood it is if you want your chakra to increase the sharpness and impact of your weapon, then you would have to fine-tune the chakra to meet the specifications of wind in order to maximize both. The chakra itself would serve as the "sharp edge." You would create that "sharpness" by concentrating on the chakra itself, forcing it to separate into two (and I'm guessing, distinctive) parts, and then having these two parts flow at, and push against each other, each part "invading" the other part, which would result into the chakra strands becoming something like razor-sharp "needles." I guess it just made sense to me because of the imagery behind Asuma?

X) Well, to defend the iron lady, let me say that her actions might have been condemned to obscurity by Kishi :o (Let's forget that she's a known slacker for a while) Seriously, I'd like to think she takes a lot of decisions (always under Shizune's watchful eye), but we don't get to see them, mainly because they involve so many ninja, other than those we are acquainted with :tem

Yeah, but I'm thinking of it from a reader's perspective, meaning he needs to write these things a little better, instead of having it appear as a subplot every two chapters or so. Btw, I sometimes think Shizune is around Tsunade way too much. -_-

And this concludes this week's comments of the ten comments. Thanks for bringing those comments sooner than expected Phil, much appreciated! :tem Also, the pics where a nice addition and well placed (especially the arrangement of Deidara, Sanbi and Tobi in the opening), but it's ok if you don't do this all the time, this was a special chapter after all :tem

Oh, blame the Dizzy. >________> *cough* I'll admit to that. Fine.

Yeah, you're guilty as hell for being an Asumatard! :yelling :glomp

I'm going to have to comment on the rest of the replies later... I've gotta go. Sorry! XD

Daniee
July 28, 2006, 09:48 PM
Actually, this chapter won't be the start of volume 36. It will be a part of 35. Since the chapters are now 2 pages shorter, each volume starting with #33 now has 10 chapters instead of the original 9.

Vol. 33 = 290-299
Vol. 34 = 300-309
Vol. 35 = 310-319

Edit: Oh yeah, and nice comments :clap

Gold Knight
July 28, 2006, 10:28 PM
That does make sense. Thanks Daniee. I'll add your comment to the first post. :)

EDIT: That likely means Sasuke will be featured on the cover of Volume 34, too. I had been holding out hope that Yamato would be, but I guess not.

glasskatana
July 29, 2006, 12:27 AM
all these comments have got me thinking.

Naruto's weapon.
1.)A gigantic battle ax as depicted in the volume cover, though that Axe does say Haruno Sakura on it.
2.)gauntlets, this is looking less and less likely
3.)Asuma's weapon
4.)a sword
5.)Warrior monk blades. Like the ones Senkaku of Ruroken uses. (I hope not though)
6.)And this is one I would enjoy, The good old evil wind shuriken (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/?action=view&current=Naruto2-7-13.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1). First off, it double as both a gigantic shuriken and a sword when all the blades are put together. Plus, just look at the name.

Now for the subject of Tobi. I thought maybe Tobi's power is that of INCREDIBLE regeneration. Anyone ever read trigun here? yes? no? well there's a character in the manga known as Livio who can regenerate from incredible attacks (http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/?action=view&current=Max7TrigunMaxVol10Ch5-2627.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1). That's Livio getting blown up. Yes he survives that. And yes, he's already been extensively injured. I would find that to be a very cool power. Tobi the 9-lives. Yup, his carefree attitude will land him a kunai in the head and as the opponent turns his back thinking how easy of an opponent that was. Tobi stands up and woops him good.

ibra87
July 30, 2006, 04:42 AM
Great comments GK, no wonder it took you so long to post them >_>

Here I go:

I would say: Tobi is not useless. I doubt the leader would let anyone as lame as Tobi join the Akatsuk just for finding the ring, if it wasn't for this guy's powers. Although I must admit, he seemed to be stupid in this chapter, but guess what? I think Tobi is pretty much the one going to give bijuu the final blow. Then all of you cool-characters-haters will be WAH, WTF!? (Kishimoto's evil plan)

Oh and Tobi is one of my favorite Akatsuki members. 1st is Itachi (unlimited torment in just 1 sec), 2nd is Deidara (only because of his "Hmm") and 3rd is Tobi (you know why).

Another odd thing was that the water bijuu wasn't inside Kisame. First of all he seems to be water jutsu user, so this one suits him well. Second of all, he's using Samehada, the water bijuu's minion, so how's he doing it? Seems like Kishimoto didn't want to stick to the old Japanese tales just to confuse us (like the Kasunagi sword Saske has, which belongs to Yamato no Orochi).

And about "who are those guy" because they are able to defeat bijuus so easily, while Yondaime sacrificed himself, well. First it's always 2 strong shinobis, instead of one. Really lightens the burden. Second of all and most important: we have only seen them encountering "weak" bijuus like the one-tail, two-tail and now three-tail. Yondaime was against the Kyuubi, who has unlimited chakras and who is able to create Tsunamis and flatten Mountains just by swinging his tail. Whom of these bijuus could do that?

Well that's all, hope your next 10 comments are longer than this GK :p

kadoman
July 30, 2006, 06:01 AM
At first glance, we see Deidara obviously at the forefront - Kishimoto's obviously acting on his strange appeal to the fans here (yes, I'm still shocked that he beat Naruto out for #3 in the last Character Popularity poll).

Ahem! Not so strange! :D I'm not shocked that Deidi beat Naruto in the popularity stakes a while back. Naruto's character at that time, had been going through a bit of a rough patch in terms of appeal and to be honest, even recently he hasn't shaped up (I'm not referring to his failure to capture Sasuke either, which, personally, I found strengthened Naruto's character). I think with the beginning of this new training arc, Naruto's appeal is starting to grow again. So, that's good news!

But anyway, GK, I LOVED your comments this week! I mean, I love them every week, but this week was accompanied by pictures! Nice touch! It felt like I was reading an article in a magazine...very authentic! And as usual, your insight is both entertaining and informative! :D

But I agree with you that I am surprised at Tobi's inclusion in Akatsuki. Everyone keeps telling me, 'don't worry, he's just pretending to be a coward. He's not really. You'll see. He'll perform some deadly jutsu that will wow everyone. The Akatsuki wouldn't take just anyone.' I guess I have to concede that yeah, they surely wouldn't...but ahh...I dunno...Tobi is funny, sure, and he compliments Deidi, but an S ranked criminal? A badass to be feared? Hmm...on the evidence presented so far, I'm not yet convinced of his worth!

Gold Knight
July 30, 2006, 06:19 AM
I think I'm just going to quit quoting here... I think the Exa is onto something when he says it's kind of a drag.

@ Kado - Seems like Tobi came on Zetsu's (or one of his personalities') recommendation though. So Zetsu must know something the rest of us don't.

And c'mon, Naruto had just saved Gaara's life. Deidara threatened Gaara's life. Based on Gaara's popularity, you'd think that would boost Naruto's popularity, but instead, the man who nearly killed him gets popular? Oh well. XD I must admit though, Naruto's "depression" does kind of make him a darker character before but I also thought that would make him all the more appealing, since he wouldn't be seen as such a happy-go-lucky guy.

@ ibra: Anax already commented that Kishimoto seems to be branching off from the Japanese folktales, and I guess it's just that he wants to mold it into his own image - also, he's probably trying to spread out the "legends" as much as he can, just to flesh out his world more. It's easier to write a story by taking characteristics from a bijuu and turn them into separate legends instead of writing it all as one related element and have it all be over in a flash. At least that is my guess about his reasoning for taking a different approach sometimes.

@ both ibra and Glass: And despite Tobi's antics, I kinda like him as well. LoL. He reminds me somewhat of a villain from the DC character Green Arrow's rogue gallery, though, named Onomatopeia...

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/37047801271.13.GIF

Regeneration powers would be cool, tho.

@ Glass: About the weapons, I think the shuriken would be considered too Sasuke-ish now... would be cool though, but I don't think Kishimoto will want to rehash an old idea like that. It'd kinda be confessing like he didn't have anything else better in mind.

Oh, and thanks for the compliments everybody ^^

kadoman
July 30, 2006, 06:45 AM
And c'mon, Naruto had just saved Gaara's life. Deidara threatened Gaara's life. Based on Gaara's popularity, you'd think that would boost Naruto's popularity, but instead, the man who nearly killed him gets popular? Oh well. XD I must admit though, Naruto's "depression" does kind of make him a darker character before but I also thought that would make him all the more appealing, since he wouldn't be seen as such a happy-go-lucky guy.

You'd think, wouldn't you? I agree with you in principle. Common sense theory dictates that we cheer for the good guys and boo, hiss! the bad guys - we certainly don't applaude the bad guys and rank them #1 and #3 respectively in the popularity poll (Sasuke's status as 'bad guy' back then was not cememted, but, as we now know, was a darn good educated guess).

What can I say, but readers' feelings don't always follow common sense. Let's put it this way, when we think of Star Wars, do we think immediately of Luke Skywalker, or Darth Vader? ;) Which character is most iconic by association? Sometimes, the bad guys just represent the more interesting aspects of a story. Naruto saved Gaara, but then, that's his job! No surprises there. People wouldn't necessarily like Naruto any more or less for having done his job. Deidi at that point, was a novelty, and represented the threat of the unknown, or the unexpected turn in the story - nobody expected Deidi to defeat the mighty Gaara. I wonder what his popularity rank would be now, though? Perhaps not as high, without the element of surprise - yet, he's turned out to be a survivor and that might stand him in good stead also.

It's for another topic, but I still would've liked Kishi to have taken some more risks with Naruto's character (and to be fair, he did in chapter 309) in the interests of character development and that 'unexpected turn' that Deidi benefitted from.

P.S - that picture is so cool! :D

Strangehat
July 30, 2006, 10:01 AM
Amazing how your commentary technology always manages to be sweet and bring in the readers, GK. :O

Anyhoo, I noticed Deidara's arm too. I'm not sure if it's a cyborg thing, but I do have to imagine that somehow clay is involved. Unless the Akatsuki happen to have a medic. 'Here, let me put that back on for you. *splork*' Really, this whole chapter was totally awesome for myself and the other Akatsuki fans, I can only assume.
I definitely do need to start digging up my old chapters and identifying silhouettes at this rate. If Ponce (that'd be blue-hair) is the hinted-at Akatsuki girl, she probably looks much more awesome from the front than all the weird profile shots we've been getting. :| Unfortunately it'll be awhile before we see that particular team, I suppose.
I keep getting the feeling Kakuzu can change size too. I mean, if he was strong enough to block that bijuu's paw with his bare hands, knock down sealed temple doors and stuff... It's very frightening.

Anyway, enough of the Akatsuki yammerings. Sanbi was TERRIFYING. o_o Hope Deidara has a salt shaker.

And I've always thought Yamato was sort of a fishy name for him. As I understand it, I think Yamato is actually a common name? It may be /too/ common for Naruto. Still. I .. Man, he's just awesome. I love that guy. He can do anything. Make houses, seal Kyuubi. He's sweet leet.
I'm kind of afraid though. with all the attention focused on Asuma and talking about what's important and everything.. I'm afraid he might become a casualty of the upcoming war. I've determined that before Part 2 ends, at least one of the major jounin will probably die. The kids are kind of growing up, and I fear it's getting to be about the time that the older generation begin to hand off Konoha to the young. While I'd initially earmarked Kakashi as the most viable subject, it might be Asuma, now. Maybe Kishimoto is just faking us out, though. E_e It wouldn't be the first time.

... Also. 20 platoons. That's like.. 40 ninja at the least. 80 at the most. That's .. kinda scary. 80 ninja after the Akatsuki? Man. No, just think about that.

This is gonna get real messy, real fast :|

Maajinn_kakashi
July 30, 2006, 05:14 PM
That was excellent GK!

I'm enjoying your comments more and more dont change a thing. Yeah this chapter was the best one for a loooong time. ALthough i have to say im getting rather cross with Kishimoto teasing us with these figts. I've been dying to see exactly what the other Akatsuki members can do. Especially Kakuzu (for some reason I think hes gonna be insanly strong).

Yep it looks like Naruto will be getting a weapon too which will be awesome. I remember seeing a poster of team 7 all with weapons. I don't remember what it was exactly bout i remember Sasuke had a short sword cause he was my fav charecter at the time ( not anymore Yamato FTW :) )

ALso I've been pondering something about the AKatsuki pairings lately. I'm sure someone already has brought this up so maybe someone can confirm it but, It seems that the duo's are almost in an alpha beta role. Hidan is always being Chastised by Kakuzu, Kisame almost seemed to revere Itachi for his strength, and diedara respected Sasori's artistic skill almost endearingly. Not to mention just recently Tobi calling Deidara "Sempai" which if i remember correctly is something in the vein of upperclassmen.

THx again GK excellent work

glasskatana
July 31, 2006, 12:51 AM
There's been a lot of chatter about Asuma lately, so I decided to make this. It's not very good, I couldn't find a good font, and it was difficult to do. I kept messing up. Oh well.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/iSmoke.jpg

Dragonzair
July 31, 2006, 03:06 AM
iLoveYou.

Is all I can say.

Adam_xx
July 31, 2006, 06:16 AM
A great read as always.. :)

gold roger
July 31, 2006, 05:18 PM
Great Comments to an amazing chapter. Some stuff I'd like to add:

Tobi paired up with deidra: I really enjoyed and hoped for this. The Akatsuki seems to designed by simmilar to the principles of buddy movies and their banter and two person dynamics make up most of their appeal to me (incidentially Orochimaru and Kabuto have developed simmilar dynamics). Tobi and Deidara are frickin hillarious and that's good in my book. Tobi is definitely not the guy that pulls out his big guns right at the start, I even think he can't take them out at the start. I think he really is the retarded moron he makes himself out to be, but much like naruto he may be a surprise ninja that, when pressed, can do amazing things.

The blue hair Akatsuki: I don't know, but that thing in her (?) hair looks like a little paper umbrella to me. If there's a woman in Akatsuki (and I hope there is), this one is it. I wonder if she's a medical nin. Medical jutsu is obviously very important and potent, akatsuki could use it and it would make sense for the leader to be paired with a user of such jutsu.

Naruto's weapon: It seems to me naruto will employ a weapon in the future. Kishi has often used things that appeared as cover art in the early chapters (frogs, sasuke with sword and snake, team seven with snake frog and snail) and in those naruto often had axes. So I guess that's a real option.

I actually liked the goofy totems. It fits with yamato not taking himself to serious when he doesn't have to (remember that wooden puppet he used when he tricked naruto with and that ridiculous "camping" lodge, bearing a huge konhoa symbol in a stealth mission!).

I'm a big fan of naruto's clone on clone banter.

sabyr
July 31, 2006, 06:05 PM
There's been a lot of chatter about Asuma lately, so I decided to make this. It's not very good, I couldn't find a good font, and it was difficult to do. I kept messing up. Oh well.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i58/glasskatana/iSmoke.jpg

im guessing you dont have adobe illustrator... if you want i could fix this pic up in illustrator and photoshop.

glasskatana
July 31, 2006, 06:34 PM
I have photoshop, which is how I did this rush job. (very rushed) and I have adobe illustrator but I've never used it.

sabyr
July 31, 2006, 09:40 PM
I have photoshop, which is how I did this rush job. (very rushed) and I have adobe illustrator but I've never used it.

oh, k ^^

Gold Knight
August 06, 2006, 06:50 AM
Just an update:

First, thanks to everybody who read my 317 comments and posted! I'll try to make time to make responses as soon as possible.

Second, the reason I've been absent all week long is because of computer problems. Guess I should've expected something to happen after having to move over to a new place, but it's all fine now.

Third, I'll be posting my next Ten Comments sometimes tonight. Watch for it! ^^

Luckas
August 06, 2006, 07:33 AM
Welcome back, I think a lot of people will be happy to read your next Ten Comments.

ibra87
August 06, 2006, 10:31 AM
Just an update:

First, thanks to everybody who read my 317 comments and posted! I'll try to make time to make responses as soon as possible.

Second, the reason I've been absent all week long is because of computer problems. Guess I should've expected something to happen after having to move over to a new place, but it's all fine now.

Good to see you again, GK ^^ I was wondering where you had gone, welcome back.

kiddo7
August 06, 2006, 10:43 AM
Just an update:

Like the song says:
"Where'd you go?
I missed you so,
Seems like it's been forever,
That you've been gone,
Please come back home."
Thank you for this update, I almost started to think that you quit posting your 10 comments. Don't ever scare me like that again!
and by the way welcome back. :-))))

yeste
August 06, 2006, 04:48 PM

We're ready! :p

Gold Knight
August 06, 2006, 06:05 PM
Afraid I've gotta postpone this one to tomorrow, guys - I just lost some of it due to the computer shutting down thanks to the breaker box - I'll finish it up tomorrow.

glasskatana
August 06, 2006, 06:07 PM
Afraid I've gotta postpone this one to tomorrow, guys - I just lost some of it due to the computer shutting down thanks to the breaker box - I'll finish it up tomorrow.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I noticed your name was in this board and I got all excited. :scry. As a tip, you should at least try to always have backup saved copies on a program like microsoft word. just copy and paste every once in a while (especially after you just did someting big, important, or difficult.) I suppose we (I) can wait another day. But I expect them to be extra-good. I'll be waiting. *creeps back into the shadows*

jimm120
August 06, 2006, 06:18 PM

And with this, many hearts wept......

Gold Knight
August 06, 2006, 06:38 PM
Well, I've rewritten everything from memory on a notepad, so no need for too many tears, guys ;) Might even go on and post it tonight still.

And I did save some of it, glasskatana - just didn't get the chance to save further before the dumb computer went blank on me.

glasskatana
August 06, 2006, 06:43 PM
Well, I've rewritten everything from memory on a notepad, so no need for too many tears, guys ;) Might even go on and post it tonight still.

And I did save some of it, glasskatana - just didn't get the chance to save further before the dumb computer went blank on me.

YAY!! I'm glad you were smart. I'll be up till about 1 or 2 in the morning (west coast) so...I'll be waiting. Now back to my shadows... OH NO THE SUN!!!

ibra87
August 06, 2006, 06:56 PM
YAY!! I'm glad you were smart. I'll be up till about 1 or 2 in the morning (west coast) so...I'll be waiting. Now back to my shadows... OH NO THE SUN!!!

It's already 2 morning here :S I'm expecting to see them tomorrow morning though :p

Gold Knight
August 06, 2006, 08:36 PM
Posted... hope the camping was worth it! ;)