PDA

View Full Version : Low-ranked/Unranked Shinigami Discussion

YJiang
August 07, 2008, 01:40 AM
Are any of those miscellaneous shinigami really that useful? I'm talking about shinigami lower than, say, fifth seat. It seems like those assorted shinigami don't really do anything except provide cannon fodder. Honestly, probably every single captain could wipe out an entire division save the top few seats. The squads' strength is mainly just concentrated in the top seats anyway. So what's the point of those random crappies besides not making the manga too empty?

changed title to make the topic more apparent

someguy0830
August 07, 2008, 01:43 AM
The "random crappies" show us that they have some way of covering the entire planet in case of potential hollow attacks. Your random loser can fight your random loser hollow.

hossice
August 07, 2008, 10:38 AM
there is also hanataro who is 7th seat.

ryanzokuken
August 07, 2008, 06:02 PM
they're also good for busy work. general up-keep of the squad's area, small chores, relaying messages, killing normal hollows, unimportant paper work?

but yea, i'd say their main purpose is just to fill up the court. if each squad was only 5 members, it would make SS seem much less grand and significant.

igotthegoods
August 07, 2008, 11:48 PM
don't forget that rukia also technically ranks as a "random crappy" since she's unseated. ;) she is indeed a special case, since we all know that she should be ranked higher, but are we to include her in this discussion as well?

as far as all the others, i agree with ryanzokuken that having a large number of generic low-ranked shinigami has a lot to do with showing the grandness of SS. it also shows how many others one has to surpass to become a more highly-ranked officer. but yeah, they're also there as cannon-fodder and to perform the more menial tasks as well :p

Onomatopoeia
August 08, 2008, 12:09 AM
It's not like all the captains started at 5th seat or higher right? All Shinigami have to progress. It's rare but eventually one of those unranked Shinigami's after decades upon decades of training will slowly progress to become a 5th seat or higher. And of course Seretei wouldn't look very impressive if their was less then 100 Shinigami their.

kkck
August 08, 2008, 01:11 AM
I think seated oficers are understimated. I remember Tousen saying that one of the methods to ecome a captain is to defeat the current captain in front of a least 200 division members. According to the bleach wiki there are 20 seated positions ( there are no references but we know there are at the very least seven) which means that very few shinigami are even considered for a seated position.
If we look at the current enemies, a 7th seat looks fairly weak, but probably any seated officer could defeat a gillian or stronger hollows (obviously this shouldnt be taken to any extreme).

Onomatopoeia
August 08, 2008, 02:06 AM
Their are 20 seats kkck(counting VCs and Captains)

ninjaa
August 08, 2008, 04:17 AM
Think of it from a military perspective. One of a shinigami's jobs is to protect humans from hollows. What if the worst case scenario comes out, Where a Vasto Lord or two plus an army of hollows attacked a city. The captains and strong seated members would fight the stronger enemies, while the lower ranked shinigami fends off the lesser hollows. With a lot of people, they can protect a large area of full of people, and the higher level shinigami wouldn't get distracted by the weaker hollows when trying to fight.

kkck
August 08, 2008, 09:16 AM
Their are 20 seats kkck(counting VCs and Captains)

Thanks, I just didnt remember reading that in the manga, although I did know that captain and VC were counted among the seated officers.

Starky-08
August 08, 2008, 10:58 AM
Rukia should be seated, Byakuya made arrangements, so she couldn't.

Deathgod75
August 17, 2008, 12:37 AM
Rukia should be seated, Byakuya made arrangements, so she couldn't.

yea wasnt it stated somewhere that she was actually VC level?