PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach Mega Pack Combo: 319 -321

patedecarne
August 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
Guys, after an eternity without Bleach reviews, finally my mega pack is up! Because we have 3 reviews here, each individual review isn’t so extended like the ones I wrote for Naruto, I tried to use just the most important and relevant points and details here, because these chapters don’t have so many details to be mentioned. I was expecting for better chapters, but still I believe that Kubo will be a better job after these battles.

The scanlation used is from Binktopia

Bleach 319 – Ants and Dragons

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3191.png
I predict a new shikai coming…

Continuing from the last chapter, now Ikkaku and the others just stole the spotlight, defending the four pillars against the weak hollows. Truth to be told, those first panels on chapter 319 was so well drawn: Hisagi and the other seemed to omnipotent when they first showed up. A so dramatic entrance is Kubo’s style: like when Ichigo saved Rukia, or even when Zaraki and the others broke in on the Hueco Mundo. If one thing was worth about those latest chapters, was the art. I think Kubo is getting better and better about this aspect, which I cannot complain, that’s for sure. Kira’s expression was incredible here (which I’ll discuss later), and even on the funny moments we can see how those panels were great.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3192.png
Are you forgetting some things, Soi???

Omaeda then was a little surprised because he wasn’t aware from Ikkaku and the other’s presence, and seems that he was the only one. Here we begin with a great chain of events involving funny moments on this chapter: first, with Omaeda’s weird facial expression, and then with Kyouraku, Matsumoto, Ukitake and Soi Fong. It’s interesting to notice that Soi Fong, who’s a very serious person, is showing some signs that she could be lazy sometimes. Speaking about funny moments, Ikkaku thinking about his God and Yumichika with Coolhorn were another great moments to see here. If the plot wise was a disaster on the latest chapters, at least such moments were worth the see. Kubo really knows how to develop human characters, with usual feelings from real world. They aren’t built as machines or robots, and Kubo has all the merits here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3193.png
A little arrogant, don’t you think?

Seeing how four minor arrancars were defeated so easily, Barragan now sent his four minions to fight against the fantastic four. Conveniently said, each of the minions will fight with perfect opponents for each one of them. One thing I’ve noticed here was Findol’s comments: After checking which seat Hisagi has, Findol then said he would fight on the lieutenant’s level. Judging by this, it’s possible that Findol is a captain level arrancar. Being the case, then I’ll sticky with my theory that Barragan is the primero espada, to have such powerful minion. And I also believe that Hisagi and Findol’s fight will be the last one, because among the fantastic four, Hisagi is the only one who hasn’t showed his Shikai, and if Findol is that powerful, then this battle will be a difficult one, and Kubo usually save the best for the last.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3194.png
Kira is angry!!!!!

Unfortunately, I must say again, but these latest chapters were a huge let down when we talk about plot development. Like I said on the previous review, Kubo could just have skipped this part for sure, because in reality, all these fights are unnecessary. In a more deeply comparison with Hueco Mundo, the fights there had a strong objective: Save Inoue. But now, what is the true purpose of all these fights? I’d risk to say that is just pure fan service, the best way to defeat all the 4 minions is use a captain to fight against them: the battle would be settled so easily, but instead, seems the captains are just staring the espadas, without any reaction, while the VC will have a hard time against them.

But if the plot fails here, there’s one more thing that was important to notice here: Kira’s reactions when hearing Gin’s name. Let’s remember back on Soul Society: Kira was always a passive person, unable to take any decisions by his own, a true subordinate. But now, Kira is being more than just a tool, he’s really angry, which is a sign that Kira is being developed, at least a little. Betrayde by a person who he’s admired is enough to trigger such reactions. I love such developments, even for minor characters like Kira and Yumichika, so far. An angry Kira isn’t something we’ll see everyday...

Bleach 320 – Beauty Is So Solitary

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3195.png
Me too, Gin, seeing you that way!

Chapter 320, even with a great beginning, was more than a letdown than chapter 319, unfortunately. So, I’ll comment the first part first.
320 begin with a little conversation between Gin and Tousen; Gin was surprised with Kira’s reaction when he’s heard his name, and Tousen asks him if Gin is worried about a subordinate. Gin then says that he’s just glad to see that Kira is doing well. Such moments were a pleasant surprise here: Until now, the only person that Gin really cares is Matsumoto, and since he was a child, Gin was a cold and emotionless person. And with his speech, we can wonder if Gin really has some feelings toward Kira. At this point is really difficult to say for sure, but ate least in my opinion, Gin was serious on his statement, and only on a few occasions Gin was that serious. Whether he was serious or not, the point is those panels served to purpose to show more coming one of the most intriguing characters in the entire series, and I have high hopes to see this relationship being developed on a future.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3196.png
Both of you, OK?

Kira still continues to fight against Findol, and he hasn’t any intention to hold back on his fight. Findol then will release his sword, when the focus changes to Yumichika and his fight. Probably Kira’s fight will be the next one, seeing how Findol already has used his release command. Again, we’re on some funny moments involving Yumichika and Coolhorn. Like I said before, Yumi’s opponent was perfect for him: two narcissists fighting each other are, at least, interesting to see. Unfortunately, the lack of plot development was the huge disappointment on chapter 320. Aside some attacks, Kubo could’ve skipped this whole chapter. Maybe Kubo is trying to buy some time with these chapters while he was in the San Diego Comic, that way he could work better on the big fights, and sincerely, I want to believe on that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3197.png
Is this a release or Sao Paulo Fashion Week?

And Coolhorn went for real when he used his guillotine attack, breaking Yumichika’s left arm with it. And on the famous cliché: “You land a hit on me, but I was able to attack you as well”, Yumichika just ripped off some Coolhorn’s hair, what triggers him to release his sword, Reina de Rosas. His release wasn’t anything extraordinarious like the previous one. Basically, only his clothes and helmet has changed, and it’s obvious that Kubo wasn’t putting so much effort on these fights. Kubo didn’t make the best choice with the latest chapters, but at least a different release would suit better. The funny moments and Gin were the only good things here; anything else was just a big waste, sadly…

Bleach 321 – Black Briers and Bramles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3198.png
HAuahuahaahua, that’s funny!!!

With chapter 321, the match between Yumichika and Coolhorn was finally decided, and even though this chapter still shares some flaws from the previous ones, it has some good and interesting points, and in a manner of speak, this chapter was a surprising one: it wasn’t so good as SS chapters, but it wasn’t so bad as the 2 previous ones.

After seeing Coolhorn’s release, Yumi couldn’t stand Coolhorn’s new look, almost swallowing his vomit; my thoughts here are that Kubo again was trying to add some funny moments on this fight, and at least, with the Yumichika vomit’s panel, he’s done a fine job. Even Ikkaku has noticed something strange with Yumichika. When I said that this chapter has the same flaws from the previous ones, I was referring about the useless chit chat about beauty and elegance. Again, we could live easily without this conversation, because it adds nothing to the chapter. A waste of plot development and panels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach3199.png
Be prepared to meet your ultimate end…

After the useless conversation, we’re about to enter in the real action, which turned to be the great surprise on the chapter. Coolhorn used a cero on Yumichika, and even though Yumi was able to defend himself, Coolhorn was about to grab him to use his most powerful technique, Rosa Blanca (White Rose). My reasons why this part was well done: the action was fast paced, with Yumi deflecting the cero and using his shikai just in time, and because Coolhorn’s skill reminds me so much from Pisces Aphrodite, form Saint Seiya. Both of them are narcissist, and their most powerful skills consist from using roses to attack the enemy. Probably only a big coincidence, but the final results, with Coolhorn grabbing Yumi was the chapter’s climax. I think we cannot complain about how the fight was conducted on its final moments, But Kubo Tite really knows how to develop fight scenes, like he did here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/BlueBigMac/bleach31910.png
But the Gran Finale will be mine…

But when Yumi was about to find his tragic fate, another surprise comes on the chapter: Yumi has another ace up his sleeves, other than the ability to drain the opponent’s reiatsu. Well, the new ability still drains the reiatsu, but the final result is death. Being an enhanced version of his normal Shikai, such ability could be considered a Bankai, but Yumi didn’t chant “Bankai” before it, so we can only work with assumptions, by in my opinion, Ruriro Kujaku is his Shikai’s true power. And just like Coolhorn and Aphrodite, again we can make some analogy with Yumichika and Kurama, from Yu Yu Hakusho, who has an ability that drains the enemy’s blood. Maybe just another coincidence, but with technique we could see how Yumi is powerful, and not only that, but some development was added to his character: just like Kurama, he’s a merciless fighter, without any regrets. New abilities are always welcomed here, and Yumi has proven to us that he’s a great fighter. But with so many fights about to happen, I’m afraid that Yumi already has fulfilled his role on Bleach. Whether this fight was the last one or not, he did a majestic performance with Ruriiro Kujaku.

Summary

Character and art wise, the chapters was OK, Kira and Gin were the main stars to be highlighted here; Yumichika also has his funny moments, and like I said before, his character has received a good amount of development here, with his new power. Plot wise, those 3 chapters were a complete disaster, but Kubo will be forgiven (if and only) he’s done all these chapters just as en excuse for the San Diego Comic. But after all, his argument about developing the characters before the plot was valid here.

And Now…

Not much to predict, but I think we’ll see Kira now, then Ikkaku and finally Hisagi. I’ll be glad if Kubo hurries with all these fights, and Kira fight can be written on just on chapter. But if anything, then I’m expecting to see a more attractive release coming from Findol.

walkie
August 11, 2008, 11:29 AM
nice review dude, and thanks for ur time to write it. it is good to read some other opions.

Well, the new ability still drains the reiatsu, but the final result is death. Being an enhanced version of his normal Shikai, such ability could be considered a Bankai, but Yumi didn’t chant “Bankai” before it, so we can only work with assumptions, by in my opinion, Ruriro Kujaku is his Shikai’s true power. And just like Coolhorn and Aphrodite, again we can make some analogy with Yumichika and Kurama, from Yu Yu Hakusho, who has an ability that drains the enemy’s blood. Maybe just another coincidence, but with technique we could see how Yumi is powerful, and not only that, but some development was added to his character: just like Kurama, he’s a merciless fighter, without any regrets. New abilities are always welcomed here, and Yumi has proven to us that he’s a great fighter. But with so many fights about to happen, I’m afraid that Yumi already has fulfilled his role on Bleach. Whether this fight was the last one or not, he did a majestic performance with Ruriiro Kujaku.

well at this point u should remember the first arc where ichigo was in Soul Society. when zaraki was fighting against two captains yumi was having his fight with ikkau. he used that ability also in that fight but we couldnt see it. and before using it yumi said something like "please dont tell anyone about my shikai's real form. because in my division shikai's with some magical abilities instead of piercing/powerful attacks are considered as lame" so he had that move from the begining but we only see it now...his three-blade version is only some fake not real form of his shikai

igotthegoods
August 11, 2008, 07:08 PM
yay! i was missing your bleach reviews, pat :hug

nice job for what you had to work with ^^ i agree with you that these chapters were full of fan service, but skimped on plot progression. sure, the yumi/coolhorn exchanges were funny, but the only thing worth talking about in any of these chapters was the short scene with gin. i just love this character and any new layer of depth that's added is very much welcomed by me. whether or not he was being genuine has been questioned, but i actually think he was being forthcoming about his feelings regarding kira. i can't think of a reason why he would lie about it to tousen. what would he possibly gain?

patedecarne
August 12, 2008, 06:18 PM
walkie, you could be right about it, probably the three blade sword is just a fake, or even an initial stage;
but fortunately, at least Kubo presented us with a good and beautiful ability regarding Yumichika's shikai, and that fight wasn't as bad as I thought!

igotthegoods
hahaha, you know perfectly the "feeling": though were 3 chapters, was extremely difficult to write good and important things regarding chapters 319-321! But about Gin, yes, a character with so much potential to be used in the future, and we cannot discard the possibility to see Gin betraying Aizen! And yes, I think you're right here: think about it: they're surrounded by flames, possibly on their last fight, then I were to make a choice, I think Gin is telling the truth, because right now, he won't lose anything by teling the truth!

Eddy01741
August 13, 2008, 06:20 PM
Nice review, my opinion on Yumi's ability is like Rukia's dances, she has 3 of them total, 2 of which can be used at any time (the third requires the zanpakuto to be cut). They are all part of the shikai, similar to how byakuya has 3 forms of bankai.

However, it is kind of cool, so basically once you trap the opponent, its a 1hko (suck reiatsu til death).