PDA

View Full Version : Gear 2 vs. Gear 3

Jammer
August 03, 2006, 02:41 AM
so
Gear 2 - upgrade of speed, strength - so the imapct is probably similiar to a normal attack but the speed make it possible to land lots of hits for a small amount of time

Gear 3 - upgrade of size hence might - it could be quite destructive for static objects

and my opinion is that Gear 2 is way better cause with Gear 3 the bigger size is more difficult to control, easier to avoid cause the resulted attack is slower than an usual attack. also gear 3 has a side effect - chibi mode

rennokun
August 03, 2006, 02:49 AM
Gear 2 make luffy tired quickly and shotening his lifespan i wont say gear 2 way better since luffy can only use it in small period of time.
and for the gear3 luffy put air into his bone to make the bone bigger thats its strong

spactaa
August 03, 2006, 03:47 AM
Gear 3 seems to be a killing strike. It's like comparing kaioken to kamehameha in fact lol.

Jammer
August 03, 2006, 04:05 AM
ok but he said that Gear 2 evolves all his moves a step and it did but gear 3 increases power but lacks speed so it didn't increase the moves yet another step - it made them more destructive but not better

vlado
August 03, 2006, 04:36 AM
lucchi says in chapter 422 (sumari and pics) that gear 3 is not better than gear 2.
luffy gets stronger , but he's way slower , and he can't react to lucci's hits....

spactaa
August 03, 2006, 05:00 AM
Maybe we will see one day a gear 3 in gear 2 mode, since they don't seem to negate themselves...

vlado
August 03, 2006, 07:18 AM
yeah ...well luffy just invented them....he hasn't mastered them....

Deerkiller
August 03, 2006, 07:38 AM
If Gear 3 was that slow, Lucci would have dodged it

La_Muerte
August 03, 2006, 04:27 PM
lucci didnt dodge gear 3 he took it head on, he thought it wasnt gonna be that powerful, plus i think that gear 3 could be more powerful cause luffy stayed a long time on gear 2 he might have gotten tired, imagine if he had went straight from gear 1 to gear 3, he probably woulda had more speed or he woulda been better energized

ILUVATAR
August 04, 2006, 02:30 PM
well, now we know why he got that small when he smashed that door two chapters ago.... he destroyed the door with gear 3 and so he hadn't any air inside his bones so he was .....tiny :rofl so this shows us that gear 3 is a one shot move..... damn, this sucks a little bit don't you think?

Hermie
August 04, 2006, 03:13 PM
Newest chapter showed that the air is constant until he releases it, and he can use all his normal attacks with it. He sacrifices speed, but makes up for it with increased damage range

Jammer
August 07, 2006, 07:37 AM
well that last chapter added some important details :smile-big
the fact that luffy can freely transfer the air inside his bones make the techique quite versatile... but then comes the ages-old question: does size matter?
a fusion between gear2&gear3 would be best but is it possible - it'll mean that in order to circulate faster his blood has to travel quite a long distance in his gigantic-bodyparts form

and yes - gear3 could get rid of the whole buster call in a minute but if it is against a single person - it's unreasonably destructive - i mean he destroyed the whole building where the fight begun just to punch a single lucci-bastard... :blink come-on... its visualy nice for a bad guy to get smashed and thing but... anyways i still like gear 2 best - it's way more elegant :eyeroll

Lohnt
August 09, 2006, 04:45 AM
I don't think he can fuse Gear 2 and 3 logically.. Gear 2 increases blood flow thus his body would get tighter as if you have just finished a workout and all your muscles are pumped. Gear 3 pumps his bones which I assume he'd need his muscles to be relaxed to accomplish.. I dunno though I'm sure if Oda wants to he could work it out, but I'd rather that Gear 2 and 3 stay seperate and Luffy just learn how to use each of the 3 gears in different situations.

Luckas
August 11, 2006, 09:50 AM
Maybe, this is a stupid question, but: How can Luffy inflate his body/bones (I'm not sure)?

enis
August 11, 2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe, this is a stupid question, but: How can Luffy inflate his body/bones (I'm not sure)?
His whole body is made of rubber, as simple as that.

Gear 2 is better for the reason that it's faster. In other words, as the speed increases so does the power. The faster luffy's hits are, the more strong they are (To prove it, try throwing 2 rocks on something at a different speed, the rock which made most of the damage to that thing/made most of the sound when it hit was obviously thrown faster :P)
. Gear 3 is just a pump of luffy's bones to get him the giant's strength, but actually he is slower because of the fact that his muscles aren't strong enough to lift such heavy bones.
So if you do math, Speed + Power > Power. :P

kaiten
August 11, 2006, 04:22 PM
It's true that the faster an attack is, the more powerful it becomes, but there's always a limit to the amount of power that can be added by increasing the speed of an object or attack, as in the case of Gear 2. However, just because Luffy increased his speed and the speed of his attacks with Gear 2 doesn't mean that it's stronger than Gear 3. But since we don't know which one is more powerful, I will assume that they are the same strength. It just depends on the situation as to which technique is most appropriate.

In my opinion, Gear 2 is for melee combat with stronger than average opponents while Gear 3 is ideal for mass desturction. The reason Luffy used Gear 3 to fight Lucci after he used Gear 2 is because he knew his normal attacks wouldn't do a thing against Lucci, so Luffy had to resort to a powerful, yet inefficient method to deal with him or face the risk of dying. In addition, Luffy may have taken into account the fact that they were fighting in small room and anticipated Lucci's underestimation of Gear 3 and overconfidence in his fighting ability, to try to end the fight with one hit. (That is, if you believe Luffy is smart enough to think of this.)

silentz
August 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
his bone..are made out of rubber as well...so ..just think of it as a rubber bone....

Lohnt
August 18, 2006, 05:04 AM
So if you do math, Speed + Power > Power. :P

Uhh.. that's like saying if you do the math 2 apples + 5 oranges > 100 apples.
We don't have mathematical figures to figure out how much strength each gears adds to Luffys own strength.

However we have seen:
Gear 2 can break steel (Tekkai)
Gear 3 can put a gigantic hole in a building much like all the uber powerful Logia characters (Enel, Crocodile, Ace) can.

So hopefully each can be used in different situations, against different opponents.

rennokun
August 19, 2006, 09:05 AM
Uhh.. that's like saying if you do the math 2 apples + 5 oranges > 100 apples.
We don't have mathematical figures to figure out how much strength each gears adds to Luffys own strength.

I agreed Gear 2 and 3 have their own advantages and disadvantages its depend which situation luffy use it

neomaster121
August 19, 2006, 09:53 AM
gear two has a stronger advantage over gear 3 for one theres less of a side effect and two gear 3 is strong but in gear two luffy is super fast as well as a bit stronger so gear 2 would beat gear 3 for me

Lohnt
August 19, 2006, 12:10 PM
How is gear 2 a little stronger than gear 3? Gear 2 didn't do all that much against leopard Lucci, Gear 3 almost knocked his ass out, he was seeing little birdies flying around his head when he landed on the BC ship. Please stop posting this baseless fan-boy bull**** about gear 2 being better than gear 3.

I prefer Gear 2 myself, don't take it personally, it's more inventive and less Popey'ish, however Gear 3 is clearly stronger, IT WOULDN't BE A NUMBER HIGHER OTHERWISE OMG LOLZKK !!exclamationpoint!!!

kaiten
August 19, 2006, 04:23 PM
Well after the latest chapter (423), I would have to say Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2, due to the fact that it's the only attack of Luffy's which has caused significant damage to Lucci, and only with one hit.

And regarding the consequences of using each Gear, Gear 2's side-effects are just as potent if not more so, than Gear 3's. Not only does Gear 2 physically exhaust Luffy, it also eats away at his vitality. However with Gear 3, it only shrinks Luffy for a time equal to the time he used Hone Fuusen.

gigantor21
August 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
Well after the latest chapter (423), I would have to say Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2, due to the fact that it's the only attack of Luffy's which has caused significant damage to Lucci, and only with one hit.

And regarding the consequences of using each Gear, Gear 2's side-effects are just as potent if not more so, than Gear 3's. Not only does Gear 2 physically exhaust Luffy, it also eats away at his vitality. However with Gear 3, it only shrinks Luffy for a time equal to the time he used Hone Fuusen.

I wonder about that...why is it that Gear 3 doesn't seem to wear him out in any other way? I would think that continuously throwing all that enourmous ship-smashing weight around just after using Gear 2 would make even someone like Luffy exhausted--though that may just set in after the fight ends. So can you really say they're equally potent in how much lasting damage is done to Luffy's body?

shinwei
August 21, 2006, 10:19 AM
However we have seen:
Gear 2 can break steel (Tekkai)

Tekkai is not steel. It's SUPPOSED to be as hard as iron, but apparently when used by different CP9 members it varies in hardness. Lucci's Tekkai is much harder than Fukuro's.

Both Gear 2 and Gear 3 can break through Lucci's Tekkai, but only Gear 3 was able to break through that big steel gate at the underwater passage entrance in Chapter 403.

kaiten
August 22, 2006, 06:48 PM
I wonder about that...why is it that Gear 3 doesn't seem to wear him out in any other way? I would think that continuously throwing all that enourmous ship-smashing weight around just after using Gear 2 would make even someone like Luffy exhausted--though that may just set in after the fight ends. So can you really say they're equally potent in how much lasting damage is done to Luffy's body?

I'm actually believe Gear 2's side-effect is more potent than Gear 3's. However, since this is just speculation and there is a high probability of their being additional side effects to Gear 3, I wanted to be more conservative with my opinion.

DesiSkull
August 26, 2006, 01:47 AM
i say gear 2 is still save to use comparing to gear 3. i rate gear 3 as double edge sowrd. specially cuz its his first using these gears to fight. so his body isnt used to it. and since after using gear 3 he becomes chibi-luffy. he cant fight like what with someone like lucci. thts why he had to hid after using gear3. even though its stronger it lacks the speed. which is bad and thts why luffy needs to catch lucci off guard to gear 3 finish him off. but we all saw luffy gearing to 2 in the last chapter. we shoould see if he finally gonna combine these 2 gears or we get to see something new.

kaiten
September 05, 2006, 01:49 PM
i say gear 2 is still save to use comparing to gear 3. i rate gear 3 as double edge sowrd. specially cuz its his first using these gears to fight. so his body isnt used to it. and since after using gear 3 he becomes chibi-luffy. he cant fight like what with someone like lucci. thts why he had to hid after using gear3. even though its stronger it lacks the speed. which is bad and thts why luffy needs to catch lucci off guard to gear 3 finish him off. but we all saw luffy gearing to 2 in the last chapter. we shoould see if he finally gonna combine these 2 gears or we get to see something new.

Gear 2 is just as much a double edged sword. If Luffy uses Gear 2 for too long, he'll become too exhausted to do anything and will probably pass out. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that he released Gear 2 while it was effective against Lucci, and moved on to Gear 3 in order to recover his stamina and only returned to it in order to finish the fight quickly, before the Buster Call could interfere again.

DesiSkull
September 05, 2006, 01:53 PM
Gear 2 is just as much a double edged sword. If Luffy uses Gear 2 for too long, he'll become too exhausted to do anything and will probably pass out. I came to this conclusion due to the fact that he released Gear 2 while it was effective against Lucci, and moved on to Gear 3 in order to recover his stamina and he only returned to it in order to finish the fight quickly, before the Buster Call interfered again.
either way. its only matter of time before his body geting used to gear2 but on the other hand doesnt matter how much he get used to gear3. getting chibi-luffy will always be double edge sword.

kaiten
September 05, 2006, 02:13 PM
Even if his body gets use to it, it doesn't alleviate the previous problem of shortening his life span, which I believe is worse than being super small for a moment.

Lohnt
September 05, 2006, 02:58 PM
Super small during the battle thus leaving you open to every single attack and you have no way to block your opponents attacks..

or

You life shortens, after the battle is done, thus you can get to a Chopper and likely save yourself?

kaiten
September 05, 2006, 03:02 PM
How can Chopper save Luffy from his shortened lifespan?

DesiSkull
September 06, 2006, 03:25 AM
i think you are taking little too seriously that lifespan shorten issue.

kaiten
September 08, 2006, 08:12 AM
It is serious. Would you rather live longer or be short?

Lohnt
September 08, 2006, 02:01 PM
Would you rather win the fight and worry about living longer later, or lose the fight and both you and your nakama die?

One life for the life of many, it's simple, it's not a hard concept, and Luffy has made his decision.

bax
September 08, 2006, 03:45 PM
Would you rather win the fight and worry about living longer later, or lose the fight and both you and your nakama die?

Don't worry about it. Luffy won't let his nakama dies. If not, they would never been at EL at the first place to rescue Robin. As for the gears, I would prefer gear2 because speed is essential in a fight. Just like any other mangas or games, it doesn't matter how strong you are if you can't hit anything.

Lohnt
September 08, 2006, 03:57 PM
I think when it comes down to it it's like others have said before, Gear 3 should be a finishing move, when it comes down to a final move to decide the winner, Gear 3 will beat out just about anything the GL has to throw against Luffy, but due to the aftereffect, it's just not manageable in battle, unless Luffy gets really really good at it and can move around that extra weight at a faster speed.

kaiten
September 08, 2006, 10:07 PM
Could it be that Gear 3 isn't complete yet, since it seemed like he was just experimenting with the concept against Lucci. If this is the case, then the complete form would probably be becoming a full giant, which would not only make him uber cool, but also tie him in to the giantism which runs in his "family" (ie. Blackbeard, Jaguar D. Saul, and maybe Gold Roger)

DesiSkull
September 10, 2006, 06:23 PM
yeh tht could be possible. but it will take time for luffy to perfect it. so for luffy to lucci is that lucci nneds to caught off gaurd and out smarting him that moment with one big bang finishing move. fight directly with lucci at this moment would be very dangerous for luffy cuz even with gear2 hes losing touch.

bax
September 17, 2006, 05:36 AM
Furthermore, I believe Luffy just learned how to use Gear 2 in this arc, presumably in the fight against Blueno... It's natural for Luffy to not discover the weakness and after effects of that move

Could it be that Gear 3 isn't complete yet, since it seemed like he was just experimenting with the concept against Lucci.

I agree with that... Personally I don't see why Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2. In battles, speed is more important than strength.. No use if you can hit hard but can't connects the punches. Perhaps, we'll see more of Gear 3 later on.. (I'm imagining Gear 3 punhing all that Buster Call ships away)

Analog Fish
September 17, 2006, 04:38 PM
Is it possible that Luffy could fill his bones with more then just air for gear 3? I mean Luffy could only store as much air as he can but could it be possible to put like water into it or maybe helium?

Lohnt
September 17, 2006, 08:33 PM
I agree with that... Personally I don't see why Gear 3 is stronger than Gear 2. In battles, speed is more important than strength.. No use if you can hit hard but can't connects the punches. Perhaps, we'll see more of Gear 3 later on.. (I'm imagining Gear 3 punhing all that Buster Call ships away)

You have never watched a professional heavyweight boxing match have you? Speed is good, but if your one punch can knock the opponent out, it doesn't matter if he hits you once or a hundred time, all you need is a single punch.

bax
September 17, 2006, 10:10 PM
You have never watched a professional heavyweight boxing match have you? Speed is good, but if your one punch can knock the opponent out, it doesn't matter if he hits you once or a hundred time, all you need is a single punch.

Nope, I dislike boxing. I believe Gear 2 is better judging from the usability and flexibility of it. I'll consider hanging my mind if I se Luffy upgrade his Gear 3 or at least put a better use of it in a fight. He only managed to connect one punch at Lucci using Gear 3, and it seems that it's out of surprises the punch connected...

Is it possible that Luffy could fill his bones with more then just air for gear 3? I mean Luffy could only store as much air as he can but could it be possible to put like water into it or maybe helium?

Water is understandable and still possible.... But where does Luffy gonna find Helium? Let alone how to put it inside his bones....

Lohnt
September 18, 2006, 12:46 AM
It's simple really, think of it this way:
No gear - Lightweight - Lucci
Gear 2 - Middle weight - Leopard Lucci
Gear 3 - Heavy Weight

If a heavy weight hits a middle weight, it's like the middle weight has taken 5 direct punches simultaneously (explaining why Lucci was sent flying).
If a heavy weight hits a light weight it's like Luffy vs Bellamy, all it will take it one punch, despite Bellamy beating the crap out of Luffy and Luffy walking away.
If a middle weight hits a heavy weight it is impossible for him to take the heavy weight down in a couple of rounds, he will need the entire match, and that is IF he can even knock the heavy weight out. The Middle weight will constantly be faster than the heavy weight, but his hits won't have any impact, so eventually the middle weight will get tired, while the heavy weight (if he's smart and has conserved energy) is finally fast enough to punch him without him dodging and wins.
You don't have to watch boxing, just listen to the news about guys that go down after the FIRST PUNCH, literally, there are cases where the match starts, a single punch is thrown and lands and game over.

Analog Fish
September 18, 2006, 08:29 AM
Water is understandable and still possible.... But where does Luffy gonna find Helium? Let alone how to put it inside his bones....

I was just throwing things in but think about it it is called Bone Balloon.

kaiten
September 18, 2006, 10:05 PM
Wouldn't helium make him float?

Lohnt
September 18, 2006, 10:08 PM
He can already float using fusen (baloon)...

bax
September 19, 2006, 06:03 AM
Wouldn't helium make him float?

Why not give him plutonium instead... Jet Nuclear Gatling.... the end of OP...

Seriously, I don't think Luffy will use other than air... Because the big problem is how to insert other substance inside one's body just like that in a battle?

teokun
September 19, 2006, 06:18 AM
I GO FOR GEAR 3RD!!

just imagine GIANT STORM!! >_<

i was dissapointed when Jet Storm isnt the finishing blow but the classic gatling :s

Analog Fish
September 19, 2006, 11:06 AM
He looked like all he could pull off was Gatling at that moment and it must be more of a strain on the body to use the storm in Gear 2.

DesiSkull
September 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
since he just started using G2 and G3. it is straining already. and eventually he will get used to it and it will come more natural to him. this is only the begining of the G2 and G3. we will see made improvements to it. and it will be interesting.

Kratos
September 19, 2006, 05:01 PM
i think for close combat gear 2 is better but for example to destroy a ship gear 3 is way better

Remus
September 20, 2006, 03:16 PM
Gear 2 definitely has some huge improvement but Gear 3 is just pure destruction. Cant really be compared and its also depending on the situation. Well maybe Luffy will master all Rokushiki as well.This would make him way above what he has been so far.

KotenKiri
September 26, 2006, 11:03 AM
Luffy can already use Soru right? He uses it with his Gear 2 but Soru is the reason for Luffy's speed in Gear 2. Gear 2, seems to accelerate his attacks while Gear 3 just increase the mass.
Gear 2 seemed best for large battlefields while Gear 3 seems best for close quarters combat.

Lohnt
September 26, 2006, 11:54 PM
Luffy understands how Soru works, he doesn't use Soru per say, he uses a variation of it.
The reason I say this is because Luffy's Soru (which he barely had time to practice) is faster than Blueno's which is completly illogical if Luffy's move is indeed a Soru technique.

As we see with Lucci, the most experienced Rokushin user, his Soru is also the fastest (encounter with Nero), thus experience and physical ability play a part in Soru.
Where as just learning how to be faster by starting off with Soru, and then just mixing it up to become even faster (kicking the ground 11 times instead of 10, 12 13 etc) it is no longer just Soru.

I don't want to see Luffy use Gear 2 all the time.. to be honest Gear 2 is going to turn OP into DBZ since we'll never see any characters during fights AGAIN
Chopper: Where did Luffy and Aokoji go?
Nami: I dunno they just dissapeared!
Sanji: Nope.. Nami SWAAAAAN! those two.. they're still here
Zoro: They're moving so fast that your eyes cannot keep up with them
Chopper: Sugoi!!!!
etc

jeffhmwong
October 01, 2006, 08:12 AM
Wonder how many more gears will there be. O well, I think gear 3 was kinda crap. 2 was cool,real cool.

Sanji red leg was much cooler. BUT

Zoro Asura Was the champion. Woot..

Vicil
December 06, 2007, 12:25 AM
Luffy understands how Soru works, he doesn't use Soru per say, he uses a variation of it.
The reason I say this is because Luffy's Soru (which he barely had time to practice) is faster than Blueno's which is completly illogical if Luffy's move is indeed a Soru technique.

As we see with Lucci, the most experienced Rokushin user, his Soru is also the fastest (encounter with Nero), thus experience and physical ability play a part in Soru.
Where as just learning how to be faster by starting off with Soru, and then just mixing it up to become even faster (kicking the ground 11 times instead of 10, 12 13 etc) it is no longer just Soru.

I don't want to see Luffy use Gear 2 all the time.. to be honest Gear 2 is going to turn OP into DBZ since we'll never see any characters during fights AGAIN
Chopper: Where did Luffy and Aokoji go?
Nami: I dunno they just dissapeared!
Sanji: Nope.. Nami SWAAAAAN! those two.. they're still here
Zoro: They're moving so fast that your eyes cannot keep up with them
Chopper: Sugoi!!!!
etc Agreed. DBZ got so far away from it's roots and totally lost itself in power-levels. Thankfully, even though one-piece follows the same vein, the threat of an enemy isn't measured by their level of power alone; instead, a one-piece fight is about having unique powers, training to get the most out of them, and testing them against a completely different kind of enemy. It keeps the action fresh.

I'm actually looking forward more for how Luffy can handle some of the big fish that were introduced. Upping his speed and strength was fine for dealing with lucci, but power ups alone won't work as well against enemies like admiral iceman, and definetely not blackbeard. Seeing his new techniqeues is only half the fun, but how he uses them against new enemies will be awsome.

hollowfied
December 06, 2007, 06:28 AM
i was dissapointed when Jet Storm isnt the finishing blow but the classic gatling

Whats really teh difference between Storm and Gattling?

They seem like same attacks.

Absolutio
December 06, 2007, 06:35 AM
I think that storm always comes with a twisted balloon before it, launching luffy at the enemy, thus giving him momento+spin attacks, and maybe just larger/faster/stronger gattling generally.. =D
On topic: I think that in this arc Oda made clear of Gear 2 vs. Gear 3.. Luffy used gear 3 for a reason.. If the enemy is strong, yet has a low menurvability, gear 3 is the answer.. It has way more destruction power, but it doesn't make luffy's attacks faster.. Gear 2 does make luffy's attacks stronger, but not as strong as gear 3, but makes him also way faster.. So their usage depends on the situation (gear 2 against lucci, gear 3 against ozz).

Imitorar
December 06, 2007, 12:21 PM
Actually, Oz was very fast, since he was strong enough to use Soru. The reason Gear 3 worked was because Oz was restrained and weakened by the rest of the crew, so he couldn't move, and they needed to break his spine, so the extra strength boost of Gear 3 was needed, and it worked because the other Straw Hats restrained Oz. However, I most certainly agree with you that Gear 3rd is a bigger strength boost, but a drop in speed, and Gear 2 is a huge boost in speed, and a lesser boost in strength.

Impel Down
December 06, 2007, 08:44 PM
Gear 2nd doesn't give a real power boost, true, but the speed of the attack goes into it as well, because of just how fast it is. Like, it hits, and then the air hits with it because of the momentum.

Also, Gear 2nd allows more attacks to be given with it, like with GGN Jet Gattling Gun, that greatly increased the number of blows and the rate at which they happened, so it could be considered a "power increase".

At the same time, because Gear 3rd is so large, just shifting would wipe out a large number of enemies, so that could be considered a boost in speed because your attacks take effect instantly. Although, against a real opponent, this wouldn't work as well as a substitute for speed, but you get the idea.