PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Shounen Manga That Should Have/Should Be Seinen

nxlouco
August 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
Lots Of Really Good Shonen Out there, alot that probably should have been seinen, I take Yu Yu Hakusho as one, which could have been a Seinen, Full Metal Alchemist possibly as well, I also feel that Psyren should've also been one, I mean the first time I read it I wondered how it was a shonen....It;d also help the continuation of the story
It doesn't only mean the manga has to show graphical stuff or anything like that, but also that the stories could be more serious

Anyone Else Know Manga That Should Be Seinen?

fxu
August 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
Psyren as a seinen? I could only wish...

More gore, [possible] nudity... and a much better art.

Although I don't mind one bit as it is now.

nxlouco
August 28, 2008, 04:46 PM
xD It Would Be Really Awesome Like That...

wade69
August 29, 2008, 12:11 AM
Claymore should be a seinen.

Venien
August 29, 2008, 09:11 PM
I found Death note should have been seinen. The concept is pretty deep or even Hunter x Hunter.

Pirulito
August 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
Air Gear should be a seinen.

Onomatopoeia
September 02, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hunter * Hunter has had multiple pages censored because of gore... that might not be quite enough for Seinen but it's pretty darn close.

Ryuurodon heads/limbs/etc. all over the place

Fist of the North Star not gonna explain this

Of course if were talking about plots then yeah their are a lot of Shounen manga's that would probablly apeal to an older audience.

You know a better question would be what Seinen could be a Shounen, I've read some that could be Shounen.

Finestela
September 03, 2008, 06:06 AM
Erm... it's hard to say what would constitute Shonen and what would constitute Seinen... I mean if things like enemy getting chopped in half or pieces would make it Seinen, then Dragon Ball would be on that list... Same goes with JoJo series...

Also, the classification 10 or 20 years ago is a lot more lax than it is now... (as you may very well see in various authors that used to be in WSJ is now in Seinen magazines).

Bomber D Rufi
September 03, 2008, 09:38 AM
Gintama definatly. The humor is much more adult than most Shounen, and even most of the characters are adults unlike other Shounen jump manga. Plus it's not as action or competition oriented as most shounen. I believe Sorachi would and should get with a Seinen mag once Gintama ends, since they'll probably allow him more freedom. (Although that means I wouldn't be able to read his work since I need furigana like a fat kid needs cake.) So I kind of hope he sticks with Shounen...especially since he's really wordy.

Finestela
September 03, 2008, 10:02 AM
But it's been like that with almost every single gag manga set foot in Jump! :p (well, maybe not so much as Yuusha... but, especially the earlier ones like BonBon Drama Club, Hentai Kaimen, Makuhali, etc.)

Bomber D Rufi
September 03, 2008, 01:04 PM
But it's been like that with almost every single gag manga set foot in Jump! :p (well, maybe not so much as Yuusha... but, especially the earlier ones like BonBon Drama Club, Hentai Kaimen, Makuhali, etc.)

True, lol but as you have noted these were earlier examples. The gag manga now are a bit more tame, while Gintama seems to still be a bit more mature. But this is just one person's opinion.

Finestela
September 03, 2008, 03:25 PM
True, lol but as you have noted these were earlier examples. The gag manga now are a bit more tame, while Gintama seems to still be a bit more mature. But this is just one person's opinion.

It is true that Gintama deals with a lot of deeper stuff (other than the off-color jokes), making it a lot more mature than other gag series. It might also be the reason why it's still going strong on Jump while others kept ending after a short run...

Back to the topic, I find it kind of ambiguous in terms of the "rules" governing that determination... I mean seriously, do they really think that a manga as gory as Kindaichi should belong in Weekly Shonen Magazine?! I mean come on..!!

Bomber D Rufi
September 03, 2008, 07:55 PM
It is true that Gintama deals with a lot of deeper stuff (other than the off-color jokes), making it a lot more mature than other gag series. It might also be the reason why it's still going strong on Jump while others kept ending after a short run...

Back to the topic, I find it kind of ambiguous in terms of the "rules" governing that determination... I mean seriously, do they really think that a manga as gory as Kindaichi should belong in Weekly Shonen Magazine?! I mean come on..!!

I guess it really comes down to sex in the end. Shounen can be ultra gory, but as long as everyone keeps their hands to themselves, it's fine. It's only when they do the nasty that it starts becoming a Seinen affair. Of course, there are many exceptions here too....It may be a combination of the nasty, the violence, and the story? DGM is pretty gory, but the story is right in line with normal Shounen....

Finestela
September 06, 2008, 01:47 PM
Interesting and great observation! It's pretty true that the stronger sexual-appeal stuff is pretty much gone except in few gag series and minor service scenes (in ToLoveRu).

I mean even Hatsukoi is a lot less "sexy" than Ichigo 100%... and it's no match from the Katsura era... :)

M3J
December 01, 2012, 04:50 PM
Bloody Monday and Naruto should have been seinen, especially Bloody Monday. One Piece was good to start out as shounen, but it slowly changing to seinen would have worked, at least for Sabondy (?) and onwards, since slavery and racism could have been made even more complex than it is. Dunno if I should add Good Ending to the list as it's pretty good as it is.

Doraku
December 03, 2012, 03:54 AM
Shingeki no Kyojin and Kamisama no Iutoori, for me. I think if the demographic of those manga changed, several things could have been better but Manga in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine tend to blur the border between Shounen and Seinen demographics. I also think Gintama is suitable for Seinen as well, but not serialized in Kodansha or Shogakukan Seinen line, but less known magazine such as Young King OURs.

jakensama
February 20, 2013, 05:47 PM
I think Death Note, FMA, Rurouni Kenshin could all benefit.

Bromamura
May 08, 2013, 12:28 AM
Bleach if only for more creative looking injuries other than arms being cut off.

Asarii
July 06, 2013, 03:58 PM
Akumetsu: its detailed explanation about political/economical corruption would go over the heads of casual shonen readers who just want to pass the time. I learned that just because it's shonen doesn't mean that it would shy away from violence. There were violence, gore, death, and lots of it.

MiyamotoMusashi
July 06, 2013, 04:18 PM
Akumetsu: its detailed explanation about political/economical corruption would go over the heads of casual shonen readers who just want to pass the time. I learned that just because it's shonen doesn't mean that it would shy away from violence. There were violence, gore, death, and lots of it.

Did you like Akumetsu?

3 titles come into mind. Aku no Hana, Blood Alone and NHK ni Youkoso (initially a light novel, it was serialzied in a Shounen magazine as a manga).

Asarii
July 06, 2013, 04:41 PM
Aku no Hana would definitely be more appropriate for a seinen.

Did you like Akumetsu?
I really liked it! I have to admit that the explanations/motive for the killings were complicated, but I loved that Shou wasn't a typical protagonist.

M3J
July 07, 2013, 01:27 AM
I think Death Note, FMA, Rurouni Kenshin could all benefit.

I'm not sure if FMA would have done better as seinen, it's phenomenal as it is.

REN KOUEN
July 07, 2013, 04:09 AM
Bleach coukd have been epic as a seinen

k-dom
July 12, 2013, 06:57 AM
Well there is also some reverse cases Chii (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=642) is published in a seinen magazine but in a kid collection in its French version.

zogobob
July 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
In my opinion, Kimi no Iru Machi (A town where you live) should move out of WSM and go into a seinen magazine. I feel like it switched genres at me after a certain point.