PDA

View Full Version : A Question about the Gantz Memory Bank

fluke32
September 01, 2008, 01:44 AM
Does it store ALL the Gantz members (including members that doesn't come from the Tokyo Team) or just the Gantz members from a selected region?

This question occured to me when the Osakan nerd who was helping the Osakan drug addict told Katou that he will revive the Yamazaki. Then, it hit me, "What if a member can revive other members from a different branch?" For example, you're an American, and you saw action in a mission with a Gantz team who hails from India where you saw that one of them is really good, can you revive him when you get 100 points and have him in your team?

Masterchief
September 01, 2008, 08:47 AM
I dunna if anyone knows the straightforward answer to this, but most likely all the people in the memory bank are people that gantz has transferred at least once.

gHZoDD
September 01, 2008, 08:06 PM
i wonder if they can bring someone from the memory whos still participating in missions

example

Oka tells gantz to copy himself, then in the room are 2 copies of Oka
I think its possible with the given rules of gantz universe.

anyone from memory doesnt have to mean death via gantz missions, it can be people who chose Option#1, so why not people who are not even dead, since its all DATA anyways :D

Masterchief
September 01, 2008, 10:22 PM
well theoretically if they are in the gantz room they have died, I doubt the copy thing would work. Especially since most people arent aware of how gantz works, sakata knew it but whats to say everyone else does. Most people barely make it past the 5th mission.

gHZoDD
September 02, 2008, 01:51 AM
well theoretically if they are in the gantz room they have died, I doubt the copy thing would work.

kishimoto

Masterchief
September 02, 2008, 05:50 AM
kishomoto dies later on. and lol at 1 word post.

georgemarvin
September 02, 2008, 08:04 AM
He was saying that Kishimoto is definitely a copy because the original Kishimoto didn't die after all; when she got back home from the first mission, she got a call from her mother; she was in the hospital after having survived a suicide attempt. Kei tried to talk to the original Kishimoto after the Gantz version died, but he creeped her out because he knew too much about her.

Nishi also said that one of the former Gantzers was also a copy; Gantz doesn't always wait for the original to die.

I don't think Gantz wants two of the same person, though, or he would just make 15 copies of the best warrior and send them all to every battle. He also doesn't want them to be able to win easily, or he would send them out in the best armor and weapons that he has, instead of making them earn them. He would also give them a little better info and tell the rookies a little about how to survive. It's possible that they can choose option 3 and revive themselves as of the end of their last mission, but it isn't likely because Gantz just doesn't want them to.

MissingLimb
September 02, 2008, 05:35 PM
I don't think we'll find out more about the memory bank for a while, unless we get to see the Osaka Gantz scores.

Masterchief
September 02, 2008, 07:02 PM
i really dont think there is much more to find out, gantz stores all the people he copies in the memory bank wether theyre hunters or not(i.e tae). I doubt he stores aliens and even if he does i cant see anyone ever reviving them.

georgemarvin
September 03, 2008, 06:38 PM
I doubt he stores aliens and even if he does i cant see anyone ever reviving them.
LOL you don't think HS misses his best bud the Oni boss? Or how about the fire demon? Maybe the other three vampire bosses? Is HS the only non-human to ever end up in a Gantz room? Probably not. After all, besides vampires, Gantz has been known to select dogs and pandas. Maybe a werewolf? He isn't exactly meticulous. Gantz is sloppy and lazy. He might even accidentally select something like the fire demon or an Oni boss sometimes.
It's altogether possible that a Gantz ball would recruit a batch of aliens to fight against another batch of aliens.

Masterchief
September 04, 2008, 03:07 PM
you seriously think that the other hunters are gonna let hs revive the oni boss or any alien for that matter? secondly the other three vamp bosses shouldnt be in the database at all. the answer to this one is simple tho it all depends on what happens to the aliens after the hunters are transferred, are they transferred as well or are they just left there?

georgemarvin
September 04, 2008, 03:24 PM
After the enemies die, they are all still there, just invisible to the public. If Gantz didn't dispose of them, people would trip over them; in a couple of days the corpses would start stinking as they rotted. Of course Gantz disposes of them after the battle. Also, at the end of the fight against all of the vampires, it appeared that Izumi's girlfriend couldn't see the vampires; she was running toward him and didn't even notice HS. The police report listed Izumi, an old man and three police officers. The vampires evidently got cleaned up. I would assume that Gantz cleans up anything that his weapons kill. He didn't dispose of the policemen and the old man and the woman that the vampires had killed. When he cleans the scene, he probably stores both the Gantzers and the aliens in the database. He probably has separate databases for the two sides, though.

You really think that Katou and company could stop HS before he could tell Gantz "number 3. Nurarihyon." You're talking about a 2-second sentence, something that they wouldn't expect. It would take longer than that for any of those time-delay weapons to hit him, anyway. And HS was able to hold his own against the whole room full of Gantzers in issues 238-240. If he really wanted to rez one of his buddies, they couldn't stop him.

It remains to be seen just who is kept in the database. After all, Tae was put in it after she was killed by a Gantz weapon. But that was during a mission. The vampire leaders may or may not qualify.

Raysen_ht
September 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
You cant revive a vampire nor an alian...
the rule is "You will be able to revive a human beeing from the memory"

http://www.mangavolume.com/index.php?serie=gantz&chapter=gantz-185&page_nr=17

Unless this was not translated correctly...

georgemarvin
September 12, 2008, 11:57 PM
But Butter Dog is in the memory bank. So that means he's a human being? Gantz seems to have a hard time mastering the specifics.

Raysen_ht
September 15, 2008, 06:32 AM
He is at the memory bank? Butter dog is the dog from the first part of Gantz?? well even if he is in the memory bank, that doesnt mean he can be revived (actually, i didnt even know he had died... do you mind posting a link? :p) the way i see it, the memory holds everyone/everything, but only the humans can be revived..

georgemarvin
September 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
He is at the memory bank? Butter dog is the dog from the first part of Gantz?? well even if he is in the memory bank, that doesnt mean he can be revived (actually, i didnt even know he had died... do you mind posting a link? ) the way i see it, the memory holds everyone/everything, but only the humans can be revived..
Well, that's possible. It's more likely, though, that Gantz just has a very liberal idea of what a "human" is. The "human" team currently includes a panda, after all.

All survivors go back to the room. Butter Dog didn't make it back to the room after the Buddha mission, which means that he either wandered out of the area and his brain exploded, or got killed by one of the aliens. In the anime, one of the statues stepped on him.

Raysen_ht
September 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Well, that's possible. It's more likely, though, that Gantz just has a very liberal idea of what a "human" is. The "human" team currently includes a panda, after all.

Okay... maybe (and thats a BIG maybe) gantz has a liberal idea of what a human is, but that defenetly does not include alians!!
And, if the memory bank does not show any alians/vampires, the rule is redunctant... why would it have to specify that only human beeings from the memory could be revived if there were only humans (or things that gantz consider humans) there?!
Imo its far more likely that Gantz saves everything concerning the missons, but he only allows the revival of humans (whatever that is to him)!

About the dog/panda
This is a bit off topic, but anyway...
I´ve allways had this crazy idea that the dog never died but was replaced by a panda cuzz Gantz wanted the team to be stronger.... so he replaced a weaker animal with a stronger one
I dont think the rules really aplly to the animals (they dont have to bring their suits with them for example)... they are like a pet of the team (for gantz) and they may change without the necessity of death

This discussion isnt really relevant though, neather to the topic nor to the story.... so ill drop it now

BTW is the anime also writenn by Oku?

georgemarvin
September 15, 2008, 04:58 PM
You would have to be able to read Japanese to read it, but the Gantz manual does tell about how both Butter Dog and Hoi Hoi died. It even gives a list of Hoi Hoi's strengths and weaknesses. It also tells about how Butter Dog died during the Buddha mission. He died "off panel", according to Oku, the author. It's a little strange, but the same author who doesn't mind making graphic representations of old people and children dying, felt that it would be too disturbing to draw the death of a dog. It also appears that Gantz can communicate with animals; notice Butter Dog and Hoi Hoi's reactions when Gantz puts their scores on the screen.
[hr]
We don't know much about the rules, because the current team with the exceptions of Reika and Nishi, who isn't exactly bursting at the seams to give out any info about anything, are all morons. They're likable, alright, but that doesn't change the facts. Not only are none of them brain surgeon material, most of them aren't even convenience store cashier material.

The reason that I excepted Reika is that she has shown intelligence and level-headedness on several occasions. But even Reika hasn't bothered to ask Gantz questions about their situation.

Let's face it, while Kaze, Katou, and Not a Cherry Anymore are likable characters, the IQs of all of them combined would probably still be in the double digits. Takeshi is a toddler, so he can't be expected to ask questions and figure things out, but none of the adults has even bothered to ask Gantz a single question, even though their own lives are at stake.

If I was in Gantz, the first thing I would do would be to ask him questions till he just quit answering. Any info might help me survive.

Now that Reika, Nishi, HS and Kei, all of whom actually have functioning brains, will be in the team together, we might start getting more answers. And one of the first answers that HS will want is probably going to be whether his best bud the last Oni boss can be revived.

putopooche
November 16, 2008, 02:34 AM
well i think its not.. i think gantz have limits:tem

Amigo!
January 11, 2009, 01:30 AM
i think if host samurai was all like "yo gantz revive my best friend the oni boss" gantz would be like " fudge you! are u retarded i kill aliens, u dumb idiot!"

Giriel
January 19, 2009, 04:32 PM
I think Gantz would be able to revive aliens, because of the fact that Tae was a target too, and Kei was able to resurrect her. And Gantz could have multiple pages (and possibly categories) of dead people.

Imagine if the Tokyo team would have Nurarihyon and the Lightning-Oni-Dude, with suits on, in their team, fighting with 'em. Instant-win! :D

Charlie
January 31, 2009, 03:50 PM
I agree just because we have not seen a revive aline menu does not mean it is not there. For all we know like you mentioned it could be under a different category, which seem plausible to me.

However I'm currently inclined to belive that the Gantz wants to revive the human players only because he seems to have a kill the damn alien mentality going on.

Now if Host Samurai gets 100 points and asks Gantz to revive some bad ass alien boss from memory that would be awesome.

Gantz could give the host a finger (at-least drawn on the screen) or he could actually revive the boss alien assuming it is in his memory.

Amigo!
January 31, 2009, 04:25 PM
well tae also got downloaded after she died and when you look at the list of people who you can revive from the database there are no aliens on the list. but i wonder if you revive the guy that was absorbed by 1000 arms would he come back as his alien self?

JediKnight
January 31, 2009, 05:09 PM
You can only revive people who are in your Gantz memory file. So Katou
wouldn't be able to revive that girl from Osaka. Someone from Osaka would
have to revive her. Tae was an target that was revived true, but she was
human. I don't think the aliens could be revived and would Gantz want them
to be revived.

Raysen_ht
February 01, 2009, 02:18 PM
You cant revive a vampire nor an alian...
the rule is "You will be able to revive a human beeing from the memory"

Unless this was not translated correctly...

You guys should check the other pages before posting...

As i said before, the rule was clearly stated... only human beeings allowed