PDA

View Full Version : Tenryuubito Theory

RichardMNixon
September 01, 2008, 09:16 AM
I was trying to conceive of why the WG would care so much about the tenryuubito. I guess they are big on tradition, but to have a marine admiral on call if one of them gets hurt seems like a pretty big commitment to a bunch of useless jerks. One idea I came up with recently is:

They're descended from the founders of WG, who must have known the secrets of the void century. Perhaps these secrets have been passed down through the family line to the current TRB. The WG therefore has to protect them from fear of either blackmail from the TRB or from someone capturing them and beating the information out of them. Thoughts?

Sachsenhesse
September 01, 2008, 09:52 AM
i think its because of the moneeeeeeey

they have more money then a normal human hairs, and the navy needs money for battleships, pacifistas and other things, i would bet on a aponsoring "i give you money you give me safety"

Imitorar
September 01, 2008, 11:17 AM
i think its because of the moneeeeeeey

they have more money then a normal human hairs, and the navy needs money for battleships, pacifistas and other things, i would bet on a aponsoring "i give you money you give me safety"
This seems the mostly likely explanation, to me. It's like why nobles and courtiers in any monarchy have power (not that World Government is a monarchy, it's more a federation of monarchies, but whatever). They have wealth, lineage, reputation, connections, etc. Like any government, the World Government wants rich friends, so they keep the Heavenly Dragons on their side and happy in exchange for humongous donations.

I doubt the Heavenly Dragons know about the Void Century. I'm pretty sure the founders of the World Government would have kept it a secret from everyone who didn't absolutely NEED to know, including their own children. Less risk of it getting out that way. All the children would need to know is that their parents formed an alliance, overthrew the old government, and formed a new one, which is probably about as much as the Heavenly Dragons know. I doubt anyone knows the full story of the Void Century except for the Gorosei and any surviving members of Roger's crew.

Onomatopoeia
September 01, 2008, 12:02 PM
To send an Admiral while WB is attacking? Even if the Marine's won't be directly in the WB fight, the outcome will affect them. Not only that but Dragon could choose this moment to strike, it's the perfect moment for the rebels to attack. You need to have Admiral's in backup in case that happens. Kizaru is arguably the perfect counter to anything the rebels do because the whole Lightspeed thing. Considering all this why send 1/3 of your strongest force when a few VA's could do just as well?

As for the Money arguement, well it is the World Goverment which means they probablly print the money in the first place and since they probablly gain money from a bunch of different Kingdoms I don't think they have to worry much about money, I mean it's like Bill Gates trying to help pay the American Goverment. I don't think he can singlehandedly make much of a difference. I'm sure that the WN don't have enough money to help the WG that much. I really feel they're might be more to the Heavenly Dragons then meets the eye's.

shoe
September 01, 2008, 02:49 PM
As for the Money arguement, well it is the World Goverment which means they probablly print the money in the first place and since they probablly gain money from a bunch of different Kingdoms I don't think they have to worry much about money, I mean it's like Bill Gates trying to help pay the American Goverment. I don't think he can singlehandedly make much of a difference. I'm sure that the WN don't have enough money to help the WG that much. I really feel they're might be more to the Heavenly Dragons then meets the eye's.
printing money recklessly is generally a very bad idea, as it causes rampant inflation and usually horrible depressions

and yes, bull gates on his own couldn't help the american government out monetarily, but if there were dozens, if not hundreds of bill gates...

kkck
September 01, 2008, 03:49 PM
I dont think the tenryuubito are respected solely for money, if they did for only that the world goverment would symply arrest them and take their money, unless it is hidden or something of that nature.
Also, how exactly do you think nobles get money? They dont really seem like the working type considering how they just waste their money.
People who earn their money have a hard time spending it because they actually worked for it.
Also just having money from 800 years ago wouldnt make sense either because it would be ridiculous that they have so much money that they havent run out of it for such a long time (inflation itself would ruin them after such a long time unless they have an actual mountain made out of gold).

bittman
September 02, 2008, 01:05 AM
Money is a terrible argument, let me give you a real life example to prove my point:

Prince Charles, 1st in line to the English throne which his mother Queen Elizabeth holds, is attacked prompting a large scale search by police. If the attack is supported by a country for some reason, it would almost be asking for a declaration of war.

Though this might seem like an exaggeration in these modern days, I doubt One Piece has succumb to media as our world has. The Tenryuubito are royalty, there is no simpler way to explain it. If the marines don't jump to defend the leader's of their country (or world in the case of One Piece), then they aren't really doing their job very well. I could get into social/political implications, but I'll probably then read too much into it.

Besides, what kkck says is right. There is no way the Tenryuubito have money just by being Tenryuubito. If they live of inheritance, they would have died out hundreds of years ago. To me, the most logical explanation is they live off tax money rather than being gifted entrepreneurs or ancestors of a multi-gazillion-aire.

gfire2
September 02, 2008, 01:46 AM
maybe the nobles that luffy hit are less influential ones, so there still mite be other nobles that hold massive amounts of powers that the marines still have to answer to, maybe the five star elders are nobles aswell?

Imitorar
September 02, 2008, 01:29 PM
Money is a terrible argument, let me give you a real life example to prove my point:

Prince Charles, 1st in line to the English throne which his mother Queen Elizabeth holds, is attacked prompting a large scale search by police. If the attack is supported by a country for some reason, it would almost be asking for a declaration of war.

Though this might seem like an exaggeration in these modern days, I doubt One Piece has succumb to media as our world has. The Tenryuubito are royalty, there is no simpler way to explain it. If the marines don't jump to defend the leader's of their country (or world in the case of One Piece), then they aren't really doing their job very well. I could get into social/political implications, but I'll probably then read too much into it.

Besides, what kkck says is right. There is no way the Tenryuubito have money just by being Tenryuubito. If they live of inheritance, they would have died out hundreds of years ago. To me, the most logical explanation is they live off tax money rather than being gifted entrepreneurs or ancestors of a multi-gazillion-aire.

Kings of where? And if they have an island to rule, why do they spend so much time on the Sabaody Archipelago. And why would they need the Marines to defend them if they were royals? They'd have their own armies. They aren't the heads of the World Government, the Gorosei are at the top. And family fortunes can actually last quite a while. You make some good investments, you buy a few successful companies, etc. I'm pretty sure it's economically viable to keep a family fortune going for 800 years, you just need to know how to invest well. And I'm sure the Heavenly Dragons have some very economically savvy servants.

BlackHair
September 03, 2008, 01:21 AM
I agree with bittman and kkck. I don't think they are important just coz of their wealth, it could be a part but not only! If it was just about money, the marines could seize them in the "name of justice". I mean they annihilated a whole island with their inhabitants, coz some of them had too much of knowledge. Money and knowledge is power and in the wrong hands it is a threat for the WG. I don't think the WG would risk that, if the Tenryuubito weren't part of them. Even if they not active in the WGs politics, they are part of the history of the WG itself. So I guess the marine is loyal to them as kind of respect and such thing.

paradoxe
September 03, 2008, 05:05 AM
I'm pretty sure it's economically viable to keep a family fortune going for 800 years, you just need to know how to invest well.

An incestous family like that..who squanders 200 mil berri like its nothingg won't last very long without support from someone...

That someone being the WG. Obviously theres something special about the Tenryuubito, whether its just the WG's pride and face, or if theres something more. No they aren't protecting them cos they're wealthy -_-

Kings of where?

He never even mentioned the word 'King' in his post.

OR ARE MY EYES FOOLING ME

Sachsenhesse
September 03, 2008, 11:54 AM
But he mentioned queen and prince. And where a queen and a prince is, there is normally too a king. :)

paradoxe
September 04, 2008, 04:53 AM
There is no king in England.

Or am I mistaken?

The point is, the royalty in England have no real political power, just like the Tenryuubito have no real political power. However, both are held in high esteem by their respective governments, for different reasons probably.

Sachsenhesse
September 04, 2008, 05:52 AM
There was a king, unfortunality he died. If the queen dies the prince charles becomes the king.

Oh and the royality has some powers, but that will get too much off topic. ^^

Correct, this is off-topic, but just for the purpose of staying informed, the current queen, Queen Elizabeth II, is queen by birth. Her father, King George VI, only had daughters with Elizabeth as the eldest. Queen Elizabeth II is married to Prince Phillip (very much alive), who is the Prince Consort, meaning that he is only the husband of the Queen and would not hold any precedence in succession when his wife dies.

Super Angillis
September 04, 2008, 08:45 AM
The thing I find unusual about the Tenryuubito is the level of reaction the World Goverment has. I don't think they act as vehemently as they do when something happens to members of the nobility for any other nation. The WG didn't care that Wapool got beaten up, and Rob Lucci killed the one king who was going to give into the pirates demands. But the Tenryuubito are on a whole other level as far as treatment is concerned. And this has made them into a whole bunch of spoiled children, basicly. They're used to always getting their way, and never, ever, bieng punished. And the status quo has gotten so used to it that it just keeps going on. England may have their royal line, but they also have the Magna Carta. So the Tenryuubito really are similer to corrupt nobility. And just like in real life that seems to have given rise to a revolution...

Now here's a really crazy thought that popped into my head a while ago. In Eneru's side story it said that the moon people left for the planet in the past. What if the lost history deals with them invading, and they won with their descendents bieng the Tenryuubito?

bittman
September 09, 2008, 01:22 AM
Just on the Kings thing:

"What are the Tenryuubito King's of?" <- the world?
"Wouldn't they have their own army, why would the marines fight for them?" <- the marines are their own army?

Just how I've seen things. World government overseen by five old geezers who have families known as the Tenryuubito. Marines work for the World government. Therefore, royalty? Correct me if I'm wrong there...

Imitorar
September 09, 2008, 08:52 PM
You seem to be assuming that the Gorosei are related to the Heavenly Dragons. Not that there's anything in the manga to disprove that, and indeed, there is reason to say so. If that's true, then that would explain the Heavenly Dragon's exalted position well. However, I've thought of the Gorosei as a group of politicians that managed to work their way up to becoming heads of the World Government. In that case, the Heavenly Dragon's position must come from money and family reputation. But there's no way of knowing the families of the Gorosei, at least not as of now. Perhaps in the future we'll find out more about how the World Government works, and therefore, about the relationship between the World Government and the Heavenly Dragons, but right now, I don't think the Heavenly Dragons have an official position in the World Government.

paradoxe
September 10, 2008, 03:37 AM
It is very unreasonable to assume that a family of degenerates like that of the Tenryuubios are capable of making (and keeping) lots of money. Wealth doesn't give you status in our world or the One Piece world. We know that Wapol is now the richest man in the world..can you imagine him being given Tenryuubito status? No no no..money has nothing to do with their status.

Besides, They don't seem to me like astute businessmen, do they to you?

the King Consort,

Prince Consort.

Ahh, thank you for catching that error. Typing too quickly :sweatbunny

Ichibugen
September 15, 2008, 05:00 PM
They keep them around as a tribute to the founders of the World Government imo. Id also imagine that they fund a lot of the Governments projects and activity's.

c0nflikt
September 15, 2008, 05:34 PM
I think the Tenryuubito altered things during the 100 century void and through that they manipulated themselves of demi-godhood, it will all come to light sooner or later remember i said this.