PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Chagecha by Yoshio Sawai

The Touch
September 11, 2008, 06:15 AM
That crazy funster, Yoshio Sawai-sensei returns to Jump next week (..or this week, depending on how you acquire your manga) after the conclusion of Bobobo. Not too much in way of an in-depth description or any spoilers, outside its an "action comedy" featuring a unruly delinquent.

Here's the WSJ #42 Cover/Opening Colorspread:

http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0477_h.jpeg
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/3939/chan1ef8.jpg

You can get the first chapter's RAW HERE (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38869)!!

StrangerAtaru
September 11, 2008, 08:24 AM
I've noticed Sawai has taken an approach to making "delinquent characters in a more realistic setting" with his previous one shot (the one with the senior citizen gang member and the Hatenko-like character). This series could be fun if it is more or less a fusion of Bo-bobo and something like BOY or Rokudenashi Blues...but who knows what to expect.

Oni_James
September 11, 2008, 04:08 PM
i expect Sawai's new manga is as cool as last one ^^ (and keeps that absurd humor of his XD)
the topic is a delinquent, seems ok to me XD for the images it seems it's going to be in a present time era, can't wait to see more ^^

Muddy
September 11, 2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the scans! Looks good.

I wonder if this means Jump already made the decision to axe Bari Haken - it'd be odd to have two "delinquent" manga in the magazine at once, even if they're both unconventional. But then again, they'll probably be *really* different from each other.

In any case, I'm excited for this (even though I haven't read Bobobo!).

Sexy Randal 105
September 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the scans! Looks good.

I wonder if this means Jump already made the decision to axe Bari Haken - it'd be odd to have two "delinquent" manga in the magazine at once, even if they're both unconventional. But then again, they'll probably be *really* different from each other.

In any case, I'm excited for this (even though I haven't read Bobobo!).

You mean like Boy and Yu Yu Hakusho existing at the same time? =P

But yeah....I bet this is going to be Bobobo mixed with Cromartie Highschool.

Ataru, you actually stated my predictions exactly. Instead of parodying the epic journey type shonen, he's doing delinquent this time.

Maxy Barnard
September 12, 2008, 03:34 AM
blonde gasser has snuck onto the cover :O

hehe this actually looks really interesting to say the least

Muddy
September 12, 2008, 06:27 AM
Hah, there's the classic shocked face in the corner of the page... it's Sawai alright.

StrangerAtaru
September 12, 2008, 08:12 AM
Looking over the cover page, I notice that there are lookalikes to Hatenko & Giga...as well as some weird red thing that probably is going to be akin to Don Patch or Tennosuke...and of course the mag cover has the "blond Heppokomaru".

And meanwhile the posted pic...a huge poop-like thing...yep, Sawai loves his poop so I'm used to that by now.

Oni_James
September 12, 2008, 11:44 AM
Looking over the cover page, I notice that there are lookalikes to Hatenko & Giga...as well as some weird red thing that probably is going to be akin to Don Patch or Tennosuke...and of course the mag cover has the "blond Heppokomaru".

lol i saw a lookalike of that character that saw serviceman in Gunkan's base, the one that couldn't sleep on the nights because of that XD

after seeing (not reading, because i don't know how to XD) the full chapter:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BKOZONK0
i have to say Sawai hasn't changed a bit XD but i would want to know what happens about the plot, because i don't know if they (the guy with the white suit and the "blond Heppokomaru") have objectives or what XD

StrangerAtaru
September 12, 2008, 03:37 PM
For those who can't wait for a scanslation and want to at least attempt to follow along:

Furyo 1 (translation): http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1025425

And let's say I'm impressed! The first chapter reminded me somewhat of Bo-bobo but less of a manzai style to it. I really don't see Masato (the Heppokomaru lookalike) as a tsukkomi...and Chagecha's "physical representation and usage" is amazing in itself.

BTW: I think Don Patch and Dengaku Man are in the first page complaining that this series is about yankees/delinquents...and not them. But then again...they had their chance.

Sexy Randal 105
September 12, 2008, 04:30 PM
I really like the look of this series. I can't wait to read it. Thanks for the trans. Sawaii's drawing style improved a lot since Bobobo. I bet it's going to be a good series.

fxu
September 13, 2008, 03:55 AM
Man, the art is horrible.

I cannot go past the art... so I won't read it.

StrangerAtaru
September 13, 2008, 05:47 AM

Yeah, Sawai has a really, really sketchy style with his art. Trust me: I didn't even want to get past vol. 1 of Bo-bobo for a long time not just because the series didn't seem to be going anywhere with it's insanity...but because his art was just extremely hard for me to comprehend. It's really a style you have to get used to but personally I thought it vastly improved by the end of Bo-bobo into Shinsetsu.

Sexy Randal 105
September 13, 2008, 10:00 AM

Don't read bobobo then.

StrangerAtaru
September 13, 2008, 11:56 AM
Don't read bobobo then.

Bo-bobo's art actually becomes amazing at least around from somewhere between Hajike Block, OVER or Halekulani on. You just have to get past the weird initial character designs (Dengaku Man) and his overobsession with shade and shadow (most of Vol. 1 outside Don Patch) before you can get used to it. But it's obviously not for everyone.

Sexy Randal 105
September 13, 2008, 01:07 PM
The over the top character designs might put off some.

StrangerAtaru
September 13, 2008, 02:23 PM
The over the top character designs might put off some.

Surprisingly its not really over the top as they are imaginative. Sawai has some designs he may use over but usually he tries to mix things up and throw in anything he feels like in the story instead of just copy/pasting the same character over and over. (see Kubo's Ichigo design being used multiple times)

Sexy Randal 105
September 13, 2008, 08:51 PM
And how Grimjaw = Zombie Power Hero

Maxy Barnard
September 14, 2008, 03:22 AM
i think that was more a homage to the previous cha0racter really.

but yeah sawai has a good track record for not reusing stuff too much (obviously a certain poop is excluded from that for being the one shot character)

Sexy Randal 105
September 14, 2008, 10:34 AM
I hope it gets scanlated soon. I really want to start this series. =P

StrangerAtaru
September 14, 2008, 09:23 PM
Quick heads up for those waiting for the scanslation of chp. 1: Jumpland (the international Jump site) will be having the first Chagecha chapter in the near future, professionally translated...and probably better than what I did with it. :P Currently to prep for it they also have the first Shinsetsu chapter...sort of made me wish they did this before this and Bakuman, at least to boost some other stuff out there. (then again, if they do something similar to Asklepios, what would they promote in preparation...Kain?...but on the other hand if they did this months ago, they could have had a combo of Mr. Full Swing/Bari Haken to help that out further.)

Sexy Randal 105
September 15, 2008, 02:12 PM
Well at least I'll get to read it soon.

.break
September 17, 2008, 03:08 AM
The art actually is pretty good, I notice a slight change as the story goes on. The art gets more refined and slightly better. Anyhow, despite it not being as pretty and refined as some of the other series, the art is great [then again, I consider most art that I can't personally match to be great].

Anyway, I've been working on a scanlation and the current status is that I finished cleaning all of the pages earlier this morning and most of the pages have been typesetted up to about 35-36, so the scanlation should be out later today--or, at the latest, tomorrow without complications.

Maxy Barnard
September 17, 2008, 06:00 AM
thanks .break! it'll hopefully make for smoother reading than going from rawto trans constantly :D

StrangerAtaru
September 17, 2008, 08:07 AM
The art actually is pretty good, I notice a slight change as the story goes on. The art gets more refined and slightly better. Anyhow, despite it not being as pretty and refined as some of the other series, the art is great [then again, I consider most art that I can't personally match to be great].

Anyway, I've been working on a scanlation and the current status is that I finished cleaning all of the pages earlier this morning and most of the pages have been typesetted up to about 35-36, so the scanlation should be out later today--or, at the latest, tomorrow without complications.

Great to hear that...I just hope it's out before chp. 2 is released this week.

In regarding "poop"...well Sawai likes using random scatology for his jokes but in a way that offends but not quite over the edge. That giant bun that Chagecha had when introduced reminded me at first spoiler of poop but cleared up when the chapter came out. And of course, through Softon and Heppokomaru, both poop and farts were running gags. (then again, I think the original Bo-bobo concept was going to be about Heppokomaru...well, a farting hero, but luckily he made the farter a supporter of the nosehair warrior)

Maxy Barnard
September 17, 2008, 12:01 PM
I thought the original bobobo concept was Softon? or at least the one shot before it was that

Oni_James
September 17, 2008, 02:00 PM
Quick heads up for those waiting for the scanslation of chp. 1: Jumpland (the international Jump site) will be having the first Chagecha chapter in the near future, professionally translated...and probably better than what I did with it. :P
don't say that StrangerAtaru:( you're a great translator also a great Bo-BoBo fan (it's hard to find people who can understand or at least like Sawai's masterpiece XD), and that's what makes your translations great, i specially like the comments:amuse
but yes, after all this, i suppose if their translation is profesional, they should be better:sweat

Currently to prep for it they also have the first Shinsetsu chapter...
they are doing the first Shinsetsu chapter??? that's great (going to download)^^ actually, i've entered now and there's something about Bo-bobo and Chagecha and it's written 9.30, i suppose that's the day they will upload the chapter...

sorry by this giant off topic :sweat but, now, any predictions about the next chapter of Chagecha? the first left me a first confused impresion about the series, so unique...:confused: XD

Maxy Barnard
September 17, 2008, 04:35 PM
i think they renamed gaoh in the online chapter of shinsetsu.

and it's sawai related so it's a bit on topic.

This new series is hard to predict events in so early, especially as it's sawai.

StrangerAtaru
September 17, 2008, 06:08 PM
sorry by this giant off topic :sweat but, now, any predictions about the next chapter of Chagecha? the first left me a first confused impresion about the series, so unique...:confused: XD

All I remember from the bottom caption was something involving "Yanjuku"...my guess is that since a lot of manga never really get started until chp. 3, this will just further introduce the world of Chagecha and we'll start seeing weird renditions of familiar spots in Gure-Tokyo. (like "Yanjuku" being some weird "Shinjuku" parody) I really don't expect Chagecha and Masato to really start in HS for another chapter or two...and if the series survives long enough, we won't see them directly facing Kabu for a while either.

Sexy Randal 105
September 17, 2008, 10:00 PM
It'd be nice if Jumpland had mac support for it's manga browser. Damn Windows users...

But anyway...Am I the only one who enjoys Bobobo sometimes for the action? I actually thought the fight between Softon and J in the volume released by Viz was exciting. I was surprised.

And glad to hear the first chapter is getting scanlated since I can't read it off JUMPLAND *cough cough*

Yeah....I hate microsoft....

.break
September 17, 2008, 11:55 PM
Pyaw! I finally finished the scanlation...I myself haven't read it yet [especially since I did minimal typesetting] but I'm going to go read it now. :]

Maxy Barnard
September 18, 2008, 03:41 AM
Nice opening chapter. And this is officially the second manga of the year having someone smoke a piece of a tree. though unlike toriko we're talking the whole hog XD

ah gotta love sawai

StrangerAtaru
September 18, 2008, 08:19 AM
I'll probably read it later but I've noticed a lot of people are complaining about the art and the comedy...I guess you really have to be used to Sawai's style to even get this series. Personally I loved it but it's just not for everyone.

As for action sequences in Bo-bobo, he's good at some good combinations of comedy and action. Although it really isn't my favorite fight, I always thought that Heppokomaru/Katsu was rather tight. (most of Heppokomaru's fights are more serious than crazy but are also some of the weakest fights...his fight with Mugen Shuto is similar in that respect) And the Sangaria against Jeda the Wind God seems more action intense with a bit of comedy...even when Patchbobo shows up and starts stomping all over him. Ruby's a nice psychological fight as well considering the conditions involved in it. But most of the fights is mostly back and forth in weird attack vs. weird attack and that's why it's not really as known for them.

Edit: Jump currently has a chp. 2 image on their next issue page...I see a girl character but I sort of hope she's just a heroine and not...Beauty 2.

Sexy Randal 105
September 18, 2008, 09:36 PM
Oh my god...what just happened? (Just read chapter 1)

StrangerAtaru
September 18, 2008, 09:41 PM
Oh my god...what just happened? (Just read chapter 1)

Basics so you won't reread it (and so you can prepare for chp. 2):

-Gure-Tokyo is a secluded city run by "yankee" teen punks where they control everything and boss around or kick out the good people
-Chagecha lives in Gure-Tokyo but lived elsewhere for two years to visit his folks. Now all of a sudden not only is he back but he's fighting for the good people in town to protect them from the runamuck yankees.
-It's sort of hard to figure out his fighting style so far but a lot of it involves creating visualizations of what he wants to use and fighting with them...that and the Human Bike with the increase of circulation to use all his power.
-Masato = Heppokomaru type who both wants to be protected by Chagecha and fight for himself. Both go to Gekiatsu High.
-The president of the most powerful school in Gure-Tokyo, Kabu, seems to have a new plan to pretty much dump insufficient yankees and replace them with good people to torment.

I think that's all we have so far...

Maxy Barnard
September 19, 2008, 05:05 AM
By visualising or touching his organs or body parts he can empower them is what i gathered from it.

good stuff so far in

StrangerAtaru
September 19, 2008, 06:38 AM
By visualising or touching his organs or body parts he can empower them is what i gathered from it.

good stuff so far in

He did visualize Poporou's head when he attacked the Dragon Ninja team at the start so my guess is there's a bit more to his style than we've been told.

Sexy Randal 105
September 19, 2008, 09:14 AM
Basics so you won't reread it (and so you can prepare for chp. 2):

-Gure-Tokyo is a secluded city run by "yankee" teen punks where they control everything and boss around or kick out the good people
-Chagecha lives in Gure-Tokyo but lived elsewhere for two years to visit his folks. Now all of a sudden not only is he back but he's fighting for the good people in town to protect them from the runamuck yankees.
-It's sort of hard to figure out his fighting style so far but a lot of it involves creating visualizations of what he wants to use and fighting with them...that and the Human Bike with the increase of circulation to use all his power.
-Masato = Heppokomaru type who both wants to be protected by Chagecha and fight for himself. Both go to Gekiatsu High.
-The president of the most powerful school in Gure-Tokyo, Kabu, seems to have a new plan to pretty much dump insufficient yankees and replace them with good people to torment.

I think that's all we have so far...

I got that much but....just wow. I was so confused. It's like even more insane than Bobobo. @_@

I like how it actually has a plot though. Or seems to have more of one than Bobobo. I felt the randomness disorienting at first. Especially the first few pages.

But hey! Another akin to Fist of the North Star.

StrangerAtaru
September 19, 2008, 10:33 AM
I think that the randomness with the Gure-Tokyo bit at the beginning was a bit of my own bad translating but some of it was more or less just Sawai being Sawai with the whole "flying yankees attacking fighter jets" and the train sequence.

As for the FoNS bit, I think that one of the best things Sawai has done off the bat with this series is seem to give us a definitive villain in Kabu. We never met Tsurulina the 4th until over fifty chapters into the original Bo-bobo and he pretty much a non-factor while many other villains stole his limelight until he pretty much gave up and retired. Kabu just seems to ooze out creepiness with his character design and the way he just literally controls the Yankees and everything in Gure-Tokyo even if he isn't the true leader of the city. Somehow if this series lasts a long time, I hope he evolves into a great villain character just like that ending.

Oni_James
September 20, 2008, 04:30 AM
As for the FoNS bit, I think that one of the best things Sawai has done off the bat with this series is seem to give us a definitive villain in Kabu. We never met Tsurulina the 4th until over fifty chapters into the original Bo-bobo and he pretty much a non-factor while many other villains stole his limelight until he pretty much gave up and retired. Kabu just seems to ooze out creepiness with his character design and the way he just literally controls the Yankees and everything in Gure-Tokyo even if he isn't the true leader of the city. Somehow if this series lasts a long time, I hope he evolves into a great villain character just like that ending.
He sure seems to be a strong one, I expect he turns into a great villain too. ^^
But in Bo-bobo we saw lots of villains that after they were defeated they went to the bobobo-side, just temporaly (Halekulani and the other villains vs the Reverse Maruhage) or permanently (Tokoro Ten)
I think Sawai may try not to keep the same methods like when he did Bo-bobo (Villain, other villains, vs Great villains with the help of the ones he defeated before...)
May be Chagecha isn't going to keep that Bo-bobo pattern. Dunno...
What I know is that i want to see Chagecha's parents (he returned to Gure-Tokyo to see them, didn't he?) XD

StrangerAtaru
September 20, 2008, 07:07 PM
He sure seems to be a strong one, I expect he turns into a great villain too. ^^
But in Bo-bobo we saw lots of villains that after they were defeated they went to the bobobo-side, just temporaly (Halekulani and the other villains vs the Reverse Maruhage) or permanently (Tokoro Ten)
I think Sawai may try not to keep the same methods like when he did Bo-bobo (Villain, other villains, vs Great villains with the help of the ones he defeated before...)
May be Chagecha isn't going to keep that Bo-bobo pattern. Dunno...
What I know is that i want to see Chagecha's parents (he returned to Gure-Tokyo to see them, didn't he?) XD

Villains helping heroes is a traditional shonen archtype so I sort of understood why it happened in Bo-bobo.
Besides, Hydrate sort of invaded and that was more or less trying to protect it..but there are still those like Tennosuke, Dengaku Man, Torpedo Girl and even Hanpen.

Personally I think that we may get more meatier and threatening villains if Kabu's first appearance suggests anything. While I never read or saw FoNS, he does seem like someone who could fit as a Sawa-warped Raoh.
[hr]
I don't know if this is a double post but the second chapter is out...as is my translation for chp. 2:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1036076

The beginning was really crazy (including another cameo by...) and the end was a tad predictable...but there's a lot of meat in the middle! Dang Sawai is really on the ball with his build-up this time around!

Oni_James
September 21, 2008, 07:24 AM
I don't know if this is a double post but the second chapter is out...as is my translation for chp. 2:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1036076

The beginning was really crazy (including another cameo by...) and the end was a tad predictable...but there's a lot of meat in the middle! Dang Sawai is really on the ball with his build-up this time around!
It's not a double post, i don't know from when but in MH the double posts automerge, it's a great system. XD

Just saw the capter and read your translation. It seems Sawai is thinking of it as a long series, that's great:amuse
But Gekiatsu High is at the bottom????? That leaves a long way to go to Chagecha and Masato.
It may be a little bit early but, any predictions? Having seen (all the anime) and read Bo-bobo (not all, because the manga hasn't finished publishing in my country yet), I think Sawai is going to put new characters in the next chapter. Like how he did with Bobobo, Beauty and then Don Patch.
May be it's too early for Chagecha because they seem to go well with only the two of them, but I think they might go to Gekiatsu High and find someone there
PS: lol at the reformed statue XD

StrangerAtaru
September 21, 2008, 08:50 AM
I think that next chapter we finally get to Gekiatsu High, since I mention that usually the important characters and important stuff don't get started until chp. 3 in a shonen (Don Patch in chp. 3 of Bo-bobo, Zoro first appeared in chp. 3 of One Piece, Sasuke and Sakura in chp. 3 of Naruto, etc...well OK, Orihime did appear before chp. 3 of Bleach but her importance didn't come in until that chapter) Considering Kabu annihilated the old school, we're going to see where the new Gekiatsu is in the next chapter and at least probably meet someone or something who becomes Chagecha and Masato's next ally. The problem is wondering who exactly goes there with essentially their reputation and their power wiped out with the Eiffel Tower destroying their last leader.

I also sort of hope Sawai does get a bit more into the concept of "Yanki" but so far he has a good job explaining what we've needed to know with it so far. But I do wonder: is it more or less a power source akin to ki/chakra/nen...or is it more "danger power" akin to One Piece's "haki"?

.break
September 21, 2008, 05:26 PM
Bwaha~! I've released chapter 2! This manga's so awesome...I don't understand how people dislike it for the art...it's either getting better or I'm growing a larger tolerance/starting to love it more.

StrangerAtaru
September 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
I'm debating on whether I translated the part where he called all the cooked Gekiatsu students "Fuji Yanki" (with the "yanki" being something like "baked Fuji"), but I guess it's a tad late to fix that now. Other than that you did bring out the chapter...and even the racism at the very end with the Brazillians :p

Though somehow I should have made a note on that Don Patch statue.

Sexy Randal 105
September 22, 2008, 09:24 PM
Oh my god...this is the most disorienting manga I've ever read. i love it.

spoonbob
September 22, 2008, 10:17 PM
Yeah, Chagecha has definitely grown on me too. I loved the whole of that second chapter, and though I didn't really understand parts of the first chapter (I haven't read it outside of the typesetting I did), that train sequence was hilarious.

That and the Backhand of Sadness.

StrangerAtaru
September 23, 2008, 08:00 AM
I still think I screwed up the train sequence (well prior to the Dragon Knights) but probably due to being thrown into in the middle of action.

BTW: silly thought: after seeing Chagecha with a cigar in the last chapter, I just had a weird deja vu. Is he supposed to be a charicature of...Groucho Marx? (he just looks like him at some angles)

Maxy Barnard
September 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
Good god i can actually see that! that's........... incredibly disturbing!

Sexy Randal 105
September 24, 2008, 01:35 PM
Reminded me of Toriko. =P

StrangerAtaru
September 24, 2008, 03:10 PM
Reminded me of Toriko. =P

I admit to not reading Toriko but somehow both have a similar vibe: a powerful warrior with bizarre tendancies but ultimately fighting in a more dramatic world. I wouldn't be surprised if both Shimabukuro and Sawai working together as assistants was true.

Maxy Barnard
September 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
I think randal refers more to them both smoking trees (though toriko smokes far less of a tree). its almost like a nod to each other

Sexy Randal 105
September 24, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I was actually. But either way. XD

Muddy
September 27, 2008, 07:39 AM
Read the first two chapters today. Crazy! Really crazy! But fun. I don't find too many things funny yet but I hope that as I read more of this series I can better understand Sawai's humor, because I know folk who've found Bobobo absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for your translations stranger!

StrangerAtaru
September 27, 2008, 03:58 PM
Read the first two chapters today. Crazy! Really crazy! But fun. I don't find too many things funny yet but I hope that as I read more of this series I can better understand Sawai's humor, because I know folk who've found Bobobo absolutely hilarious.

Thanks for your translations stranger!

From what I've noticed, Sawai seems to be using his randomness moreso to develop this world than to actually drive the story. With all going on so far I think it's more an action series with a lot of comedy than a comedy with a lot of action.
[hr]
Chapter's out on Raw-Paradise...and my script is complete:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044920

I think somehow Himawari is who I dub the "anti-Beauty"...I hope she stays that way after this chapter though! Oh...and who knew UFO-Catcher toys could go across the entire Pacific! Overall, a fun chapter but the villain went a bit too fast for me.

Muddy
September 27, 2008, 04:44 PM
Great chapter! I love all the random weird-ass creatures Sawai just throws into the mix, like the freakin' weird puff-lady who has a crush on Chagecha. Plus, the fights and characters in general are brilliant. Who the hell fights with a bowling ball attached to a cellphone?!

Very good stuff :)

Thanks for the quick translation Stranger!

StrangerAtaru
September 27, 2008, 05:24 PM
Great chapter! I love all the random weird-ass creatures Sawai just throws into the mix, like the freakin' weird puff-lady who has a crush on Chagecha. Plus, the fights and characters in general are brilliant. Who the hell fights with a bowling ball attached to a cellphone?!

Very good stuff :)

Thanks for the quick translation Stranger!

Looking over some stuff again, I think the only bit of wasted potential was showing off the villain's "finger zapping" technique which sends the other Yankee...to a perfect score on a music game...only to have this guy fall to his obvious weakness. (then again on second look, he did try it on Himawari but Chagecha just got him in the nick of time) Other than that I loved Himawari's "cell phone charm" attack and am intrigued by the two new Gekiatsu students that appeared as well.

Muddy
September 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
...and am intrigued by the two new Gekiatsu students that appeared as well.

Haha, yes! The 107th year student or whatever it was :P

StrangerAtaru
September 27, 2008, 07:22 PM
Haha, yes! The 107th year student or whatever it was :P

I think it was 108 years...but yeah, he's our "seven years of college down the drain" guy so far. (thank you Mr. Blutarsky)

Oni_James
September 28, 2008, 04:04 AM
I think it was 108 years...but yeah, he's our "seven years of college down the drain" guy so far. (thank you Mr. Blutarsky)

And he wears a tiger mask XD but don't forget the "???" guy he may be in second year but he seems powerful, this leaves the group of 5 people? Will they stay as Don Patch and Tokoro Ten? Or will they be like Softon and Hatenko: they come, they do something and they leave the group?
This series girl's name is sure strange, Kawai Himawari XD but she seems strong

StrangerAtaru
September 28, 2008, 06:52 AM
And he wears a tiger mask XD but don't forget the "???" guy he may be in second year but he seems powerful, this leaves the group of 5 people? Will they stay as Don Patch and Tokoro Ten? Or will they be like Softon and Hatenko: they come, they do something and they leave the group?
This series girl's name is sure strange, Kawai Himawari XD but she seems strong

Himawari is a cute name: it's Japanese for sunflower. (sort of almost called the chapter just "sunflower" until I realized that was her name). As for the mysterious two: they could just be watching over a lot of what the Gekiatsu group does and not intervene unless they need to...remember, the means by which a lot of Bo-bobo's team came together took a while too. Heck, Tennosuke was originally planned as just a one-joke character in chp. 2, got enough interest to get an A-Block arc, didn't really do much in the Gunkan arc and really didn't become a permanent team member until Hajike Block.

Sexy Randal 105
September 28, 2008, 09:48 PM
Chagecha seems a lot different from Bobobo. I stand corrected. This seems a lot more intelligent as opposed to being punched in the face with comedy. Don't get me wrong. I love Bobobo. It does feel like getting attacked by a clown sometimes though.

StrangerAtaru
September 29, 2008, 12:18 PM
Chagecha seems a lot different from Bobobo. I stand corrected. This seems a lot more intelligent as opposed to being punched in the face with comedy. Don't get me wrong. I love Bobobo. It does feel like getting attacked by a clown sometimes though.

I think in some ways this is Sawai's continued evolution as a mangaka. We saw some of what he's doing now in Shinsetsu but that was still sort of tied to the random insanity of Bo-bobo. At this point, we still have randomness but it's more or less controlled compared to what it was prior. There may be a few other "random moments" but a lot of it is more or less a gag/action hybrid compared to Bo-bobo more being a gag series that followed the action rules.

Oni_James
September 29, 2008, 12:33 PM
Himawari is a cute name: it's Japanese for sunflower. (sort of almost called the chapter just "sunflower" until I realized that was her name).
i was saying it because Kawai-> cute, Himawari-> sunflower, the cute sunflower, it sounds more as a nickname than a name XD

Sexy Randal 105
September 30, 2008, 09:21 PM
I think in some ways this is Sawai's continued evolution as a mangaka. We saw some of what he's doing now in Shinsetsu but that was still sort of tied to the random insanity of Bo-bobo. At this point, we still have randomness but it's more or less controlled compared to what it was prior. There may be a few other "random moments" but a lot of it is more or less a gag/action hybrid compared to Bo-bobo more being a gag series that followed the action rules.

I kind of like this better. In Bobobo, I would often be annoyed by the randomness, because I wanted to actually see some of the characters fight. Serious characters like Softon actually had potential to do so.

StrangerAtaru
September 30, 2008, 09:42 PM
I kind of like this better. In Bobobo, I would often be annoyed by the randomness, because I wanted to actually see some of the characters fight. Serious characters like Softon actually had potential to do so.

It all sort of depended on the character and the situation. In some ways, characters like Softon and particularly Torpedo Girl were either too "dull" compared to the craziness and insanity or Sawai never really used them too much in battle due to most of their attacks being practically unstoppable to nearly all the enemies. (heck, he retired Torpedo Girl in Shinsetsu preventing her from taking on anyone and just turned her into a full-time teacher...I'm not saying she was invincible but usually she could only be defeated either psychologically or when she ran out of juice and turned back into OVER...and that hardly ever happened) So far I think Sawai has made his lead powerful but at the same time possibly set up the potential of the "pinnacle" at the start allowing for further battle development as the series goes along.

Sexy Randal 105
October 02, 2008, 10:22 PM
I don't really know much about Torpedo girl, because Viz are asshats....

StrangerAtaru
October 04, 2008, 09:10 AM
I don't really know much about Torpedo girl, because Viz are asshats....

Viz has released one fight with Torpedo Girl: Shibito. (also known as Poet or "Bad Bard") Basically the only reason she was somewhat held under control in that fight was that he used a mind-wipe ability, which affected everyone except Don Patch (who technically has no mind). Prior to then she just knocked him around and even blew up everything he threw at her. She also fought against Giga where pretty much everyone worked as a team to take him down. The rest of the arc just had her running around on her own.
[hr]
New chapter, new translation:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1054282

Two lessons learned from this chapter:
-Little kids shouldn't have that much power if they can't control it
-Mysterious Tiger Mask...well, he seems familiar.

.break
October 05, 2008, 12:47 AM
Scanlation's up~!

Looks like stuff's gonna' get thick next chapter...smells epic.

Oni_James
October 05, 2008, 04:17 AM
so cool, it seems the series are getting greater each week^^
about the new ones: i don't see that Doraji'll help a lot and Longhorn, it seems usagi is going to help more than him XD we haven't seen Kotaro yet but he seems strong
i really want to see Tiger Mask fighting, seems they are going to fight against those 5 from Metro high, can't wait to see next chapter^^

StrangerAtaru
October 05, 2008, 06:45 AM
Doraji may just come back down to Earth but I think this was just Sawai's excuse to go crazy with a 9-year old fighter. The third guy though and Washio are probably the ones that are still complete mysteries (as is Tiger Mask...but while I didn't want to say so in the chapter his actions and "forms" do remind me a bit of Don Patch). Probably my only problem with the chapter: Masato looks more and more like a tsukkomi every week.

Networks
October 07, 2008, 07:16 PM
Any scanlation group start to release chagecha?
*don't found on onemanga*

I guess chagecha starts to look like with bobobo.. 1 man, 2 kids, 1 pet

StrangerAtaru
October 07, 2008, 09:29 PM
Any scanlation group start to release chagecha?
*don't found on onemanga*

I guess chagecha starts to look like with bobobo.. 1 man, 2 kids, 1 pet

PHUNK has been scanslating it for the last four chapters, no one has alerted Onemanga though. (but I've seen it on mangafox if you want to read it in collective terms) If they get it, they get it...if not, oh well.

Maxy Barnard
October 08, 2008, 06:47 AM
well it's scanlated regularly and with good pace, so hopefully someone will take note and put it up (onemanga were notorious with toriko's placement, though that was due to a lack of consistency till recently.)

Also, I don't have a leek or anything

StrangerAtaru
October 08, 2008, 10:24 AM
Also, I don't have a leek or anything

That's safe...if you did you'd probably go Lotiuma on us.

Maxy Barnard
October 08, 2008, 10:36 AM
now THERE is something we can expect tiger mask not to do!

unless................. could he be orihime as a sort of curveball? :P

StrangerAtaru
October 08, 2008, 10:49 AM
now THERE is something we can expect tiger mask not to do!

unless................. could he be orihime as a sort of curveball? :P

Well I think if Orihime appeared in Chagecha, she'll probably look like this:

http://img56.onemanga.com/mangas/00000003/00000017/13.jpg

Maxy Barnard
October 08, 2008, 11:15 AM
the funny thing being that that fits in ever so well with the world of sawai!

i wonder if spoilers'll show up this week at all :O

StrangerAtaru
October 08, 2008, 06:05 PM
the funny thing being that that fits in ever so well with the world of sawai!

i wonder if spoilers'll show up this week at all :O

Doubt it: the spoilers come if a series has been around for a while and has a following. This series is both too new and probably won't last long enough to reach that point.

Sexy Randal 105
October 08, 2008, 09:23 PM
I don't think a gag series needs spoilers. o_O

Maxy Barnard
October 08, 2008, 09:44 PM
true, but this is comedy/action for one, and for another.......... tiger mask!

StrangerAtaru
October 11, 2008, 04:36 PM
Considering that there is a linear plot in Chagecha, spoilers would be appropriate if popular enough. (well there was one in Bo-bobo too...but it took a while for it to form as I've seen first hand...I mean it was there but there were some points early on where the whole chapter was just a bunch of weird stuff)
[hr]
New Chapter, New Translation:

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1064354

Sawai just impresses me more by the week, that's all I can say.

Oni_James
October 12, 2008, 03:22 AM
the series are getting greater each week that passes ^^
we've seen again that from his wild nature, Usagi has to do dangerous things XD but some real battles are near, sure that Chagecha won't be de only one who fights
PS: i expect Masoto learns how to fight and won't be the "Beauty-from-bobobo-man" in the series -.-

StrangerAtaru
October 12, 2008, 07:01 AM
the series are getting greater each week that passes ^^
we've seen again that from his wild nature, Usagi has to do dangerous things XD but some real battles are near, sure that Chagecha won't be de only one who fights
PS: i expect Masoto learns how to fight and won't be the "Beauty-from-bobobo-man" in the series -.-

The problem with Masato so far is that he's a Heppokomaru/Beauty fusion. He does have potential but at the same time he seems more and more like a Tsukkomi. Heck, even Himawari is tougher than him...

All in all, I like that we did get a bit more with Doraji after the last chapter but I sort of hope that Tiger Mask, Washio and the other guy (no, not Onizawa) get their styles revealed in this Yan-Battle. I doubt we'll get Usagi fighting yet...but then again I doubt we'll see Tomoko or Piyoppi fighting for a while either.

Sexy Randal 105
October 12, 2008, 09:57 PM
I still haven't decided if I like it yet. It seems like Bobobo with less memorable characters.

StrangerAtaru
October 26, 2008, 09:07 AM
I really should have done this last week but since I don't know if the scanslation was done or if anyone knew (and last weekend was rather wrecked anyway):

Chagecha 6: http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41510
Chagecha 7 (this week's): http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1084911

Of course all this comes just as the series sounds like it's essentially cancelled...it's too bad but I guess it was just too insane to last in this modern Jump of...blandness?

Oni_James
October 27, 2008, 08:59 AM
Of course all this comes just as the series sounds like it's essentially cancelled...it's too bad but I guess it was just too insane to last in this modern Jump of...blandness?
modern Jump! is just stereothipical shonen thing, good guys, bad guys, people kidnapped, bad guys that turn into good guys, final defeat of the bad guys, Jump! is prepared to have an insane manga, the way of thinking it's just...to advanced to these days, like all the genious from their time, they were ignored, it may sound a little bit extreme, but that's the way i see this XD
if it's cancelled, at least it would be great that some group scans all the manga

StrangerAtaru
November 01, 2008, 06:49 PM
modern Jump! is just stereothipical shonen thing, good guys, bad guys, people kidnapped, bad guys that turn into good guys, final defeat of the bad guys, Jump! is prepared to have an insane manga, the way of thinking it's just...to advanced to these days, like all the genious from their time, they were ignored, it may sound a little bit extreme, but that's the way i see this XD
if it's cancelled, at least it would be great that some group scans all the manga

Taking away some of the cliches (come on, they had some of those in Bo-bobo), I just wonder what exactly the mentality of the Japanese people to turn down a series like this. Maybe it's just Bo-bobo burnout or just not involving people like them...I just don't get it and wonder why. (whether or not it ends now or later)
[hr]
Well it's confirmed: though the chapter isn't out: Sawai's TOC entry comments that it was a short run but he was happy for those who did support him and gave his thanks. Dang...maybe once it's all scanslated we could give a package run to Onemanga :p
[hr]
The final chapter (script): http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1095022

Extremely bittersweet, that's all I'll say now. Not screwy, not dissapointing, not tearful...just bittersweet and a good way to end it.

Maxy Barnard
November 02, 2008, 06:34 AM
well what to say? this is the shortest jump series EVER

StrangerAtaru
November 02, 2008, 06:44 AM
You know I have a theory about that: the series probably bombed from day one and Sawai, not wanting to prolongue the inevitable or just wait out a few weeks for the next drops, voluntarily ended it at a nice junction in the story. They'll probably release it with the one-shot with that tough old man...I still don't know if it's officially the shortest serialized series ever (since there have been many that only made it to one volume too) but it could be one of them now.

Maxy Barnard
November 02, 2008, 07:17 AM
well 10 chapters sometimes gets split into two volumes (see M&Y) and that's the shortest run i've previously been aware of (matched by jumbor (1 special volume) and Hand's(i have no idea whether that was 1 or 2 volumes))

and it seems a shame for the series to end without much more tiger mask exposure

StrangerAtaru
November 02, 2008, 11:55 AM
I sort of wished we got a bit more on Tiger Mask (especially with all the enigmatic words he had been saying), heck a fight with him would have been amazing! But unfortunately his style and fighting ability are left to our imagination...though I wouldn't be surprised if it was "you know who" after all...

Sexy Randal 105
November 02, 2008, 09:31 PM
Anybody scanlating the last 3 chapters?

StrangerAtaru
November 02, 2008, 09:49 PM
No one has picked it up as of yet. I partially blame myself but maybe someone can nudge PHUNK and see if they're still doing it. (since the scripts are all done) If not, then we'll need to find someone else to so we can get this series complete and out there.

Sexy Randal 105
November 02, 2008, 10:02 PM
I could do it but I kind of wouldn't want to scanlate a canceled series. I suck at it anyway. XD