PDA

View Full Version : Ongoing Hanma Baki by Itagaki Keisuke

Ichido Reichan
September 11, 2008, 05:57 PM
Hello, this is the thread for the discussion of the current title HANMA BAKI SON OF OGRE, also BAKI THE GRAPPLER, being the issue that the three titles belong to the same line of series (think of star wars) this is going to be the general "BAKI" discussion thread. Hanma Baki is the third series on the line of BAKI THE GRAPPLER books. feel free to ask questions or comments regarding the series.

A-F
September 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
AGAIN!! first to reply! hahahaahahah this is getting fun!!

MUCHO's thanks for starting this! this should be wild!!

Freezer
September 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Just re-read volumes 1-9 and i have several questions :P

1.What did they tell about Speck, that he can open his cell from the outside using his teeth?

2.I couldn't understand the point that this dentist made in book 5, starting from page 181. What was he talking about?

3.Book 5 page 50. They tell the story from the perspective of this police officer that saw the fight between Hanayama and Speck. But i don't understand what the story teller meant with : "The time for Hanayama to settle himself in the car?Yes ... 2 or 3 minutes. More or less" .I understand this whole thing when Hanayuama brought Speck back to the police and then he went to get treated and get a bandage for his face and then he went to the car and at the same time Speck must have killed the police officers and then going out and eventually flipping the car in which Hanayama and the police officer were

4.I also got lost in the translation of Book 7 pages 30-31.

5.Where did u take the missing pages from book 8 (meaning pages 116b and 116c)? Cause i downloaded the raws and they don't have them (question to Ichido)

6.Am Doryan was asked what he's doing in Japan, what was his motive other than wanting to know defeat and he said that he wanted some medicine? Also i kinda felt odd when Retsu asked his master about Doryan and the latter replied that he's going to die, without telling us anything other.

7.When yanagi got loose he went to Gouki and they started fighting, but why weren't we shown how their fight ended?

8.What happened when Doryan blew the grenade in front of our heroes. How did they escape the impact, the same goes for Doryan.

9.Can someone give me more ingo about this manga Pound by pound, i wasn't able to find a thing, also about Make Upper

Ichido Reichan
September 12, 2008, 09:24 AM
Alright, a lot of questions here, gotta go back and re-read chapters

*****goes to read the mangas*****comes back*****

alright, Volume 1-4 has been very fuzzy translations from the start and I have plans to come back and remaster it, but I hope I can answer these on the best of my knowledge.

1.What did they tell about Speck, that he can open his cell from the outside using his teeth?

No, what speck does is not using his teeth, he kills people and uses the metal from the victim's teeth (to fix cavities etc) and he molds the metal to escape from the cells and ceilings, he killed the first counselor but he needed two metal pieces to escape the submarine, so he killed the second one when he was already out of his cell, if he were to escape, he wouldn't make it.

2.I couldn't understand the point that this dentist made in book 5, starting from page 181. What was he talking about?

-okay, he refers that people that normally use a lot of strenght in their activities have awful teeth, because to use a lot of force you have to bite really hard and that you can't use the full power of your body if you don't, and the worst example was Yanagi ryukoou, his teeth were awful, and his full power gets limited right away by doing this, Baki in the other hand, can show you in VOLUME 1 that he takes care of his teeth very well and Suwedo had to use a "template" to improve his biting force to have more power.

Point made: with awful teeth you can't bring full power to your body.

3.Book 5 page 50. They tell the story from the perspective of this police officer that saw the fight between Hanayama and Speck. But i don't understand what the story teller meant with : "The time for Hanayama to settle himself in the car?Yes ... 2 or 3 minutes. More or less" .I understand this whole thing when Hanayuama brought Speck back to the police and then he went to get treated and get a bandage for his face and then he went to the car and at the same time Speck must have killed the police officers and then going out and eventually flipping the car in which Hanayama and the police officer were.

-Okay this is a case of a weird translation, a lot of people ask me the same question and this will be for revision in the future, the line would be:

"How long until hanayama was inside the car? I'll say about 3 minutes"

(this was since hanayama came out to the street, walked to the car and sit down over there, as soon as he sit down, Speck flipped the car upside down)
yes, speck took that long to go out and ambush him, 3 minutes.

-4.I also got lost in the translation of Book 7 pages 30-31.

Dorian tag along with his father in the war of japan-USA, when he was 10 years ago, and he knew all the escape routes and bunkers around japan, so that's why he had this hideout for fifty years and nobody has ever discovered it because it was controlled by the american army but forgotten.

5.Where did u take the missing pages from book 8 (meaning pages 116b and 116c)? Cause i downloaded the raws and they don't have them (question to Ichido)

-My collaborator at the time (spamdini) sent them to me from the original french pages, the random missing pages is the very reason why I started to scan my own raws, other reason will be the quality, I refused to use the public raw of SON OF OGRE 6, in a funny note, notice the twisted page for a scan that wasn't unbinded, and there's a small french line there.

6.Am Doryan was asked what he's doing in Japan, what was his motive other than wanting to know defeat and he said that he wanted some medicine?

-It wasn't a true "medicine" he was looking for someone that "clean his soul" with such a crushing defeat that he comes back on being a child back again, the one that do that was Retsu with his crushing fists on his head, and that was just happened, he found what he was looking for.

Also i kinda felt odd when Retsu asked his master about Doryan and the latter replied that he's going to die, without telling us anything other.

-Well, yes, he was going to die, but not in combat, probably peacefully or without harming anyone, maybe the darkness of his soul was going to be pacified, Itagaki does this lines to twist his stories and throw you off so you don't guess what's coming next, take this simply as a line of mystery.

7.When yanagi got loose he went to Gouki and they started fighting, but why weren't we shown how their fight ended?

-You mean when he pointed the stick at his eye? I need more info about this one, what chapter?

8.What happened when Doryan blew the grenade in front of our heroes. How did they escape the impact, the same goes for Doryan.

-They jumped at super speed to all directions, since the walls of the dojos are made out of paper and our heroes mastered the super speed, I guess they run pretty fast, there are more questions for me to itagaki like "why Katsumi having 80% of his body burned, just got well in 7 months like nothing?" or "why Suwedo came back to life after dying on the fight against Dorian?"

9.Can someone give me more info about this manga Pound by pound, i wasn't able to find a thing, also about Make Upper.

Pound by pound is another fighting series from shonen champion, it's only five volumes and promotes the PRIDE tournaments a lot, think of a WORST mixed with KARATE KID, I have the first volume and they talk about locks, pops, throws and everything related to mixed martial arts, sounds exciting but the first volume had only text, they talk to no end!!! I wanted to take it but the first volume just dissapointed me, maybe another group can take it.
I have the first volume but I won't buy the other 4.

Make Upper is the first "commercial" success of Itagaki keisuke, is the story of Yumegi bikuu, the heir of the Yumegi family that had been taking care of the make-up of geishas since the times of the yamato, he was born with a special skill of "beauty making" he can make the most ugly girl in school win a beauty contest, he can make a stone statue look like a goddess and his family hates his for such skill, his adventures are collected in only 3 books, later on he created Baki the grappler and the rest is history.

d3mon
September 12, 2008, 11:32 AM
Pound by pound is another fighting series from shonen champion, it's only five volumes and promotes the PRIDE tournaments a lot, think of a WORST mixed with KARATE KID, I have the first volume and they talk about locks, pops, throws and everything related to mixed martial arts, sounds exciting but the first volume had only text, they talk to no end!!! I wanted to take it but the first volume just dissapointed me, maybe another group can take it.
I have the first volume but I won't buy the other 4.

wow! i still would love to read it!

Ichido Reichan
September 12, 2008, 06:37 PM
the first volume has two armlocks, one back lock and one punch...
and the manga has 200 pages....

for a fighting manga that's way low!!!

A-F
September 12, 2008, 10:25 PM
I enjoyed Tenjo Tengi.. but then it got all mystic and shit.. so that turned me off big time! BAKI never failed to deliver!! and garouden.. just keeps getting better and better!

Freezer
September 14, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ow yay, thanks Reichan :). What i meant about Yanagi is that he escaped, then went to Gouki and the first threw him a teapot or a bucket with hot water and Yanagi said - "This is the second time u lose, there won't be another", but we didn't see how that ended?

Ichido Reichan
September 14, 2008, 10:56 PM
well, actually, that's how it ended, it was kind of checkmate, I believe then he just stood up and left, "there won't be a third one" means that next time they fight he was going to die, but fortunately, he teamed up with baki and the story evolved on a different direction.

DeathDealer
September 16, 2008, 12:33 PM
yeah, that was the way it ended, which is why Gouki then brings the pot with cold water (or was it a bucket??) in the next fight, to play mental games with him...what Yanagi meant is that he could have killed him while he was preoccupied with the scolding pot

Itagaki loves playing a lot with the "be prepared at all times" theme, like when Doppo lost to Yujiro cause he was drunk, or when Ali Jr. beat up almost everybody cause they weren't serious, or way back when Baki lost to that guy in the max tournament, Zolo?? Zulo?? Zule??

Ichido Reichan
September 16, 2008, 09:50 PM
in terms of competition, Zool (or zulu) broke the rules by just jumping on baki without waiting for the start sign (this is to avoid cheap jumps before any battles) but itagaki always brings his cliffhangers or story twists around so you can never guess what he's gonna come up with.

Waret
September 20, 2008, 06:51 AM
Sup guys

Saw the questions made by Freezer and the answers by Ichido Reichan, in which I must say were very impressive.

But i noticed that there weren´t any questions about Baki´s girlfriend, so my question is what happned to her?

PS: BIG thumbs up for Greco Espinoza, beeing such a good sport, for replying the emails he gets.

Maxy Barnard
September 20, 2008, 01:39 PM
Ya know what, have to be the one to say this, but what's the appeal in the art?

Just curious to hear the perspective from the fans side

Ichido Reichan
September 21, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thank you my friends, I love to discuss this title.

It's a common question "hey what happened to Kozue, did she left baki?"
the answer is an easy one, between the Oliva fortress and the pickle wars it has been only 4 months in between (on the manga timeline)
if you guys don't remember, Kozue asked Baki "to finish what he wanted to do and come back when he's done" and right now she is just living life, going to work, studying etc, Baki being in USA and meeting Pickle as soon as he came back is taking all his time, but make no mistake, Kozue should come back very soon, we even got KAKU KAIOH back and I really thought we won't see him again for a long time, so our dear Kozue will return.

As for the art appeal, SHONEN CHAMPION WEEKLY has a big array of titles with all sorts of art styles, Itagaki has crafted and improved his art a lot, demonstrating his advances on designs has surpassed the previous one, Yuujiro, Baki and everyone else has been looking even better through the times, but the appeal of the magazine is 13-20 I believe.

A-F
September 22, 2008, 01:54 AM
OK guys... great to see everyone joining in... I only have on thing on my mind right now.. we all saw THE ANIME version.. can someone explain to me what was going on in the ARTISTS style? we would see one episode which looked clean.. and nice.. then next episode.. they all look deformed.. like another guy was drawing it.. anyone else notice this.. or do I need to see an eye doctor? lol

Maxy Barnard
September 22, 2008, 05:21 AM
funnily enough that's just one of the issues i notice in the manga ¬_¬

but of course it has some appeal in it's freakish representation of the human body, else it wouldn't have all these series eh

garouboy
September 22, 2008, 12:10 PM
The art of Keisuke Itegaki is one of the most interesting in the manga universe. Nearly every character has a beautiful, muscular physique. It's almost like an "ideal world" where all fighters look like gods. How could you ever read Baki/Garouden and not feel like you need to train!? Baki has been an influence in my own training for years and if I ever need motivation I just read any of the volumes.

I've been thinking about something: What happened to Sikorski? After his defeat by Gaia, what do you think he ended up doing? All the other convicts were rather killed or incapacitated, but Sikorski was defeated and left alone. Do you think he was arrested again? Did he kill himself? Or did he finally receive the "defeat" he had always been searching for and start a new life?

Maxy Barnard
September 22, 2008, 02:13 PM
I look at it and think that i should be glad to have the physique i do as opposed to the beefcake stuff that gets thrown about there. its interesting no doubt, but beautiful? not in the slightest.

Though New baki opened well with the all the synchronicity stuff. thats something in its favour

garouboy
September 22, 2008, 04:34 PM
I hate it when a manga series has skinny, weak looking characters that are super-strong. It drives me crazy. I grew up following the physiques of people like Bruce Lee, Mike Mentzer, Frank Zane, Brooks Kubik, and many others. They looked strong and were strong. To me, and millions of others, they were beautiful. It's not for everyone's taste, but you can't deny that they were in amazing shape. In Itegaki's world, he has chosen to represent the characters in this way - "The Strong is the Beautiful".

Maxy Barnard
September 22, 2008, 06:57 PM
That's fair enough with bruce lee, he had a helluva amount of strength and looked the part. but again he wasn't a beefcake with a piggy nose and eyes that tend to look in opposite directions XD

Ichido Reichan
September 25, 2008, 12:15 PM
Holy shiiaaatt!!!!

look what just happened!!! (SUPER SPOILER AHEAD!!!)

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=AUWPJ272

okay so it's getting better now huh?

but again, quality like this can't go anywhere...

garouboy
September 25, 2008, 02:21 PM
Holy shiiaaatt!!!!

look what just happened!!! (SUPER SPOILER AHEAD!!!)

http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=AUWPJ272

okay so it's getting better now huh?

but again, quality like this can't go anywhere...

Katsumi is such a Badass... Awesome!

A-F
September 27, 2008, 02:05 AM
I agree about baki being a motivation.. I remember when he fought the Crag Yasha Ape.. all that working out.. got me pumped!! so i worked out like crazy.. i gave the anime to a friend..and he said the same..in his words "I saw him beat the monkey.. next thing I Know i'm jogging for 3 miles non stop!" .. thats some serious stuff right there!! lol

garouboy
September 29, 2008, 04:37 PM
I completely agree. I know it's strange, but I always wonder what the majority of people reading Baki look like. I'm interested in what kind of training you guys do.

A-F
October 01, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'm fit.. especially for my age.. Karate/TaeKwondo days are over.. bad knee and all.. but I still can go 80-90% before I feel some pain.. but as many will find it wierd.. .. but This anime.. just GETS ME PUMPED! can't explain why..it just does.. lol

Ichido Reichan
October 11, 2008, 11:15 AM
By the way, I heard some guys like better the original baki rather than the current series, on the good news, The kid saga will start on volume 9, and we are close to volume 5!!! the manga opens up way better than the anime for obvious reasons, but It was fun when everyone wasn't so overpowered :D

Metsudragon
October 12, 2008, 04:10 PM
^Yea Ichido, I'm really really loving the original series, and that idiot tophunter said there was no difference between the anime version and the manga version, fucking please, so many fights omitted in the first 4 volumes? wtf? And they completely skewered the mount toba arc, only an idiot would say if you've seen the anime you've seen the manga.

As for minor gripes with the series over all, my last favorite saga of the entire franchise has definitely been NGB, if not for the gratuitous and excessive gore introduced, and the ramshack Death Row saga. It quickly redeemed itself with the Ali Jr. Saga, before crapping all over itself with Ali's pussification in his match with Baki.(We were supposed to be seeing the completed Ali boxing method vs Baki, not Baki one shotting Jr. in the nuts. That fight was shiza, and will forever leave a sour taste in my mouth unless a proper rematch happens sometime or even after Baki has his match with Yuujirou. Not only would it give us a proper finish(if Ali seriously pushes Baki that is) but also explain what the hell happened with Kozue.)

Pickle: was extremely intriguing at first, and I was excited to see him enter the world of baki, but now this garbage where he's just getting put up against the series cans(with the exception of Retsu Kaioh) and chomping them or just one shotting(Takeshi Kenmochi anyone?), it's gotten boring and repetitive. Either do something meaningful with him or put him up against Baki already so this storyline can end and we can get back to the main storyline.

Ichido Reichan
October 23, 2008, 04:38 AM
super rare footage for Hanma Baki lovers!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IRbQYwE23zQ (part 1)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6sW8-h...eature=related (part 2)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Esxa-P...eature=related (Part 3)

Metsudragon
October 24, 2008, 11:12 PM
^Hahahah said super rare footage links no longer work, XD, can anyone describe the footage?

sabret00the
November 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
Is this thread dead?

Metsudragon
November 10, 2008, 05:02 PM
^No.

garouboy
November 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
**SPOILERS!!**

Latest Baki chapter 137: "Maintenance"

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2562/001en6.jpg

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/3065/002nt6.jpg

Metsudragon
November 10, 2008, 09:30 PM
Holy shit, those two having drinks together? You've got to be kidding me. O_o

TheGenius
November 16, 2008, 02:23 AM
Hey all,

The anime is great, got me going also to the gym(I gained 25 pounds due to training because of Baki!), but there is one thing that makes me crazy...

Is that whenever he releases endorphins, there is ALWAYS someone to make the stupid comment ; "Oh, endorphins...!" . Makes me insane for some reasons...

sabret00the
November 17, 2008, 07:53 PM
lol @ retsu. sucks to be that guy right now!
[hr]
From Ritual (v14 & v15):
Baki Son of Ogre 14: http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=58I5O2X6
Baki Son of Ogre 15 : http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=52R2H13F

Zarion
November 28, 2008, 08:38 PM
nice! thanks sabre00the. It's been hell trying to find the raws for volumes 14-15.
do you know when the raws for volume 16 will be out?

sabret00the
December 01, 2008, 02:05 PM
nice! thanks sabre00the. It's been hell trying to find the raws for volumes 14-15.
do you know when the raws for volume 16 will be out?
I'm afraid i don't, but will keep an eye out :)
[hr]
Found volume 13 in case anyone missed that Volume 13: http://www.megaupload.com/fr/?d=4J2JQFNA

iFuL
December 02, 2008, 11:00 AM
Guys im just new here, i love baki stories.. , can u help me after Baki - Son of Ogre volume, wat's next of it =(?

sabret00the
December 02, 2008, 06:26 PM
Guys im just new here, i love baki stories.. , can u help me after Baki - Son of Ogre volume, wat's next of it =(?
'Baki - Song Of Ogre' isn't complete yet. You have to await the unreleased volumes/chapters to be released.

iFuL
December 03, 2008, 01:09 AM
i see Ty Then ^_^ :D

DeathDealer
January 18, 2009, 06:20 PM
OK guys... great to see everyone joining in... I only have on thing on my mind right now.. we all saw THE ANIME version.. can someone explain to me what was going on in the ARTISTS style? we would see one episode which looked clean.. and nice.. then next episode.. they all look deformed.. like another guy was drawing it.. anyone else notice this.. or do I need to see an eye doctor? lol
i know this is old, but; the episodes aren't always drawn by the same studio...based on funds & price they contract a studio to do x amount of episodes, & even withing the studio the best animator doesn't always draw the whole thing. the head animator usually draws the key frames & in-betweeners draw the in between frames, the tweeners are usually the less skilled artists, new guys, interns etc

some mangakas have helpers also who fill the role of tweeners, which is why sometimes art can be inconsistent, but i don't know if Itagaki has any

Waret
January 29, 2009, 05:54 AM
Sup all.

Read the last volume of son of Ogre, and I seriously hope that some one kick Pickle´s prehistoric ass.
Getting tired of seeing major martial artist getting ther body "dismanteld",
Yes, it is still a great manga but did anyone think that this was the way there profession would end?

And if anyone sould kick his ass it would be Jack Hammer (Hanma), Think it would be to boring if The Ogre got there and finished him.

PS: Is this ITAGAKI Keisuke way of reducsing the numbers of character, for different reasons?

garouboy
February 03, 2009, 02:30 PM
Um, sorry to ruin this for you but Jack Hammer is currently fighting Pickle and this is what has happened to him:

http://img26.imageshack.us/my.php?image=baki01sr8.jpg

Looks like we're going to have to root for someone else to take care of Pickle. PLEASE let Gaia show up!

Metsudragon
February 08, 2009, 12:06 AM
http://ritualscan2.free.fr/viewtopic.php?t=957&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=560&sid=eacaedae467273903b472d673c04535a

Scrolling down and looking at the cold sweat pickel's breaking into, I think not. Not yet.

nanoclarkology
May 11, 2009, 10:31 PM
That is the Bomb! I really like everything done in this so far. I just wish I could read it. I am like in volumes 13-15 and I can't read nothin'. But it still get's me pumped.

sabret00the
May 21, 2009, 12:50 PM
I haven't read a translated page in ages but i look at each raw that comes out and i must say that this whole thing with Pickle is just lame :(

Pavitre
July 20, 2009, 09:30 AM
Latest Raw's can be found here, though some chapters may be missing in between.
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/?sort=order&ord=desc&manga=762

Pickle and Baki's fight is turning out to be quite funny and lame though.

a_nevels666
July 21, 2009, 01:17 PM
Latest Raw's can be found here, though some chapters may be missing in between.
http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/read-online/?sort=order&ord=desc&manga=762

Pickle and Baki's fight is turning out to be quite funny and lame though.

The problem is that it's so over the top, it doesn't even resemble a fight anymore.

Pavitre
July 23, 2009, 08:16 AM
I know, I mean he's just using scare tactics. It looks good when Yujiro is using it cause it suits his style, but it does not with baki. Anyhow, Pickle seemed really angry in the last panel of the last chapter, maybe the fight is going to turn out ugly finally.

devilitachi
November 05, 2009, 04:07 PM
That fight is over so it's up to Yujiro now. And oh man he is strong!! He is toying with olivia :D

Pavitre
December 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
what baki lost?
Can someone give me the link to raw or translated plz so i can see.
He freakin lost, I thought baki would be the one to beat him

devilitachi
January 03, 2010, 10:10 PM
Nope baki lost, anyways I thought Yujiro was gonna fight against him. But seems like not.