PDA

View Full Version : Review Bleach Review 327: Knockdown Monsters

True Blade
September 26, 2008, 11:54 PM
True Blade Reviews...

Bleach 327: Knockdown Monsters

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nukethetuna/Bleach_327_02.png

Greetings and salutations valued readers! Welcome to True Blade's review of Bleach 327! This is a rather simple chapter, but let's see what we can find! As always, comments, replies, hate (or love!) mail are all encouraged. Preferably comments though, so we can discuss the wonderful happenings of this latest Bleach Chapter. I tried to be a little less "WALL OF TEXT" in this review, and a little more organized. But alas, enough of my drabble, let's get down to business!

All images used in this review are from Franky House's scanlation! Supaaaaaa!

An Arrancar Bigger than a Menos...?!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nukethetuna/Bleach_327_04.png

Recap
When we last left our heroes, things seemed dismal! Ikkaku was effortlessly defeated by Po, and though Captain Komamura and Lieutenant Iba were able to cease the revealing of the real Karakuri town, the trouble was not over! Po proceeded to punch Komamura hard enough to send him flying at least several city blocks, and then to add insult to injury released his zanpakuto. Iba and Ikkaku are in dire straits, what hope do they have against an opponent able to make even a captain look weak?

On Po's Resurrecion
A couple notes regarding Po's resurrecion. He's really freakin huge! Larger than a menos, his body has taken a form resembling a penguin with arms? I'm not really sure how to describe it, and in all honesty it looks a tad humorous! But clearly the magnitude by which the already formidable Po's size has grown is incredible. If his strength has increased as exponentially, I'd hate to see his "best punch"!

Another thing I'd like to note is Po's change in attitude now that he's released. Prior to this, he seemed to be an arrogant, keen, fighter who idolized Barragan. He was almost eager to show off his power, as seen when he released his zanpakuto with almost no real need to. Now that he's released however, he sounds a tad like young Shikamaru, complaining about how heavy his limbs are, and generally whining about any little effort. His idolization of Barragan still reigns supreme however, and those minor complaints don't stop him from following orders.

On the Shinigami's Reactions
With Po now this large, everyone in the fake Karakuri town can bare witness to his monstrous form. Hisagi, Kira, and Ikkaku are shocked, and take a moment to gawk at the giant, while Iba takes the normal cognitive route, and hightails it out of there, grabbing Ikkaku as he runs. His logic is rather sound, as the he and Ikkaku would stand little chance against an opponent able to fight on the level of a captain. Of course that's not Ikkaku's style, and he chastises Iba's move as cowardly.

On Lieutenant Iba
I'm not sure what to make of Iba's attitude at this point, as he has shown himself to be on the side of the Shinigami that follow orders unquestioningly. His decision could be taken as the logical calm-headed decision, worthy of a lieutenant, however his comments to Ikkaku seem to convey that he's panicking, and at this point worried more about the survival of him and his friend. He's another character that could definitely do with some development, as he's for the most part pretty cool!

The Strength of Captain Komamura
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nukethetuna/Bleach_327_08.png

On Komamura's Return
Last week you may remember me having expressed doubts regarding Komamura's strength. To him I now say... touche. Komamura bursts onto the scene, catching the full brunt of Po's massive attack meant for Iba and Ikkaku, and in an incredible show of strength, throws the giant Po. Not only does he make us go "holy crap!", he then proceeds to be an utter badass. He stands firm in the face of his enormous adversary, and with words of bravery and comraderie instills that strength in his lieutenant. The previously panicked Iba now stands firm beside his captain, ready to take on Po.

Focus is always put on the fighting strength of characters in Bleach, captains in particular. But I think this scene shows another strength that's equally important, that being the strength to lead. It's becoming clear as to why Komamura is a captain. Not only for the incredible strength he just displayed, but for the inspiration he brings to those under him in group situations.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nukethetuna/Bleach_327_14-15.png

On Po Vs. Komamura
First of all, what a badass page. Seriously, I rarely go "awesome!" over textless action pages, but this one just screams badass, doesn't it?

Anyway, Po seems unphased by Komamura's show of strength, and begins to "yawn". While he probably wants to yawn, given the laziness his giant form puts on his personality, this yawn seems to be more of him "chargin hiz lazer". Whether it's a cero blast, or simply a move unique to him is pretty unimportant, because in the time it takes him to charge it, Komamura releases his bankai.

Komamura's bankai has only been seen in flashes, and never in an actual fight, so this is pretty awesome to see it in action!

Rather than fire his laser, Po stands in amazement of Komamura's bankai. Though we're not given a clear comparison, I think we can assume that the giant summoned by the bankai is of equal size or perhaps even larger than Po's released form. Poor Po never expected something as large as himself to exist, and begins to freak out. As he raises his arm to attack Komamura, he is given some introspective lines, and then a rather decisive sword to the head.

On Komamura's Message
Is it just him being emo? I don't think so. Komamura is not only an honorable fighter, but he is incredibly humble. In sharp contrast to Po's arrogance, he knows better than to assume himself above his opponent. Hubris is a dangerous quality in Bleach, seen mostly in villains. Komamura on the other hand knows his place in the grand scheme of things, and despite completely obliterating and outclassing Po. He is just one man, a small vessel of the order and peace he's dedicated to protect as a Captain in Soul Society.
However despite being a "worm of a man", he is still able to decisively win against a destructive monster such as Po. To him, even a worm of a man is better than an existence committed against justice and peace.

Wrap Up

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/nukethetuna/Bleach_327_18-19.png

On the fight's end
And with that, it seems Komamura has things under his control. I think this fight is probably over, it had the dramatic comeback, and given that I think this fight was meant to display Komamura's power, and that it would be unusual for a captain to struggle against a fraccion, I'd say we've seen the last of Po. Though, the fact that Po swelled up like a balloon to get to his monstrous form could mean he's resistant to being "crushed" and other blunt trauma, so I haven't counted him completely out.

Predictions
Well, as cool as it was to see Komamura get some action, I must say I'm a little disappointed. I hope he has another fight rather soon so that we can see a further extent of his powers. If all his bankai can do is smash and crush big-like, I won't be too pleased. With all of Barragan's fraccion defeated, we'll probably see the reactions of almost everyone next chapter. Probably most humorous will be Barragan himself, as he was pretty confident things would go his way.
Ideally, I hope to see the captains get into the fray now with the top level Espada, Gin, and Tosen. It's too soon for the Visored to make their entrance I think, but next chapter will definitely move the story along.

Chapter Summary

Po's resurrecion makes him larger than a menos. Insane!
It doesn't really matter, since he's not actually captain level. Komamura's bankai makes quick work of him.
Komamura's personality and honor shine. He stands firm in the face of terrifying opposition, and inspires that bravery in others.

Essence
September 28, 2008, 01:10 PM
Great review true blade. I've never been a fan of Komamura but i must say, he really is very strong. I don't think Po is out of the game yet, one thing i've notice is that each captains have a unique philosophy that their squad carry. I think Po will rise again and cause more trouble for Komamura and might even knock down one of the pillars,but i think he'll be able to fend off his attacks with his bankai which we might see to a fuller extent.

I must say i'm quite dissapointed with the recent chapters, while it was a good idea for Tite Kubo to try to focus on the minor characters, I did not think he would make us miserable by spending so much chapters on them.anyway since old man Yamamoto said this war would be in winter, looking how slow things are going, do u think the war will be over during winter?

True Blade
September 28, 2008, 07:28 PM
Great review true blade. I've never been a fan of Komamura but i must say, he really is very strong. I don't think Po is out of the game yet, one thing i've notice is that each captains have a unique philosophy that their squad carry. I think Po will rise again and cause more trouble for Komamura and might even knock down one of the pillars,but i think he'll be able to fend off his attacks with his bankai which we might see to a fuller extent.

I must say i'm quite dissapointed with the recent chapters, while it was a good idea for Tite Kubo to try to focus on the minor characters, I did not think he would make us miserable by spending so much chapters on them.anyway since old man Yamamoto said this war would be in winter, looking how slow things are going, do u think the war will be over during winter?

Haha, well despite being too many chapters, these fights are still taking place in a matter of minutes. I hope Po doesn't get up, while at the same time I hope this isn't Komamura's only fight. If all the business gets taken care of here in fake Karakura town, then yes, the war will end during winter.

I expect Aizen has some tricks up his sleeve though, which may possibly extend the war longer.

Aikidoka
October 01, 2008, 12:36 AM
I agree with your points on Komamura; I used to write Komamura off as just another minor character, but after reading the latest chapter I've changed my opinion. I really have respect for the guy now...I don't need to list his good points since you've already listed them though, but what I admire most is his humility. Sometimes I feel like manga series have too many crazy or unusual characters, and a solid character like Komamura is a nice break from that.

That said, I hope Po doesn't rise again. Not that I want the arc to hurry up or anything, and I actually want to see more of Po, but if he gets up the awesomeness of Komamura will in my mind be diminished.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Po's resurrecion is supposed to look like a whale. His chin/neck/stomach bears resemblance to the underside of a whale's, and if you take the image of his release form and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, and erase the features on his face, it'll sort of look like a whale. Also, the scene where Komamura throws Po...Po's feet are angled outwards so that it looks like a whale's fin.

True Blade
October 01, 2008, 01:31 PM
BTW, I'm pretty sure Po's resurrecion is supposed to look like a whale. His chin/neck/stomach bears resemblance to the underside of a whale's, and if you take the image of his release form and rotate it 90 degrees clockwise, and erase the features on his face, it'll sort of look like a whale. Also, the scene where Komamura throws Po...Po's feet are angled outwards so that it looks like a whale's fin.

You're right. Which makes it the FUNNIEST RESURRECION EVER. Well that's not true, I mean if one of the Espada hits us with a Sloth release form (I'm looking at you, Stark), that will be the funniest.