PDA

View Full Version : Neo's One piece Chapter 516 Review

neomaster121
September 27, 2008, 07:03 AM
Well after yet another week we have a great One piece chapter to read, One piece Chapter 516: Pirate Empress Boa Hancock is the new Chapter and here’s my latest review on it hope you enjoy.

The Split crew Caught in the earliest moments in their separated lives before coming together

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-10.jpg

Well after so long, and after so much with the split crew Oda has given us such a wonderful colour spread, conveying their current predicaments with the glimpse of each of the characters before they joined the strawhat crew. Luffy, Zoro, Nami, and Ussop taking the 4 main corners with the rest fitting in, it’s great to see each of these members in colour but this colour spread to their first appearances before joining the crew with the tear paper effect around the edges showing the collage of the crew well placed together.

But something I really noticed in this colour spread was Zoro and Chopper, Out of the who crew these two are the only ones who don’t seem happy, in fact they look quite focused, Chopper sweating and Zoro the only crew member bleeding and trapped in this collage. Maybe this is an insight into what Oda is planning for Zoro or maybe it’s a symbolisation of where Zoro is emotionally or maybe I’m looking too much into it but all in all what a great colour spread.

Luffy holds the crew determination!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-10.jpg

Well after thanking Margaret for returning Luffy’s clothes back to their manliest state, he tells her a small bit about his plans. To Margaret this probably sounds strange but interesting, she knows his nakama are split up and that luffy is willing to do anything to get back with them. His die hard message of being alive and fighting with his crew was really inspirational, luffy changing from funny to serious really emphasises the importance of his messages. The flashback of Kizaru, Kuma, and sentommaru is very significant; they mark the change, the wall that the crew need to be able to break through, just like the wall blocking luffy’s path when he was running from the boar a few chapters back, but I like that he says “we” showing that luffy acknowledges he can’t do all this alone and will need to grow stronger with his crew.

So that’s where luffy is

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-10.jpg

After his message of determination luffy has his new way to get stronger… walking on his hands. How quickly his idiocy leaks into luffy’s mind frame is just hilarious. Well after a few weeks of debate, I have to admit I don’t think I even thought about luffy maybe being in the calm belt. This makes leaving this island alone pretty much impossible. Further confirmed by the message that those who randomly drift on the island normally already dead. But it being on the calm belt means he doesn’t have a grandline wall blocking his path and so hope even though small still remains.

Luffy is Luffy

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-10.jpg

Well after finding out that he’s in the calm belt luffy moves on without fear of the sea monsters around him, in fact he seems more concerned with the idea of no wind, but as we all know luffy raft will be in no way able to do anything other than sink. Margaret revelation that The only ship that can enter or leave the island is the ship of her island’s captain leader which is pulled by two sea king snakes. I now started to gain a clearer view on how luffy will be escaping this island, which I will go into later on.

Why did you Margaret?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-10.jpg

Her alone time with luffy is already taking effect, she now saves luffy as he drowns due to his stupid idea, also we get further acknowledgement of Margaret’s impending trouble due to luffy’s arrival.
Luffy’s comment about franky continually shows luffy missing his crew members.
Well Margaret realises she now becoming bit too attached to luffy, and to stop it she begins her attack on him, whether she plans on actually hurting him or just scarring him off well I’m not sure but I think it’s the later.

So the future power you need luffy?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-10.jpg

Well after dodging the arrows which seem to have damage beyond believe, Margaret reveals the power behind these normally looking arrows. Yes it’s Haki, since its earliest appearance with shanks, I knew this power would be coming to the strawhat crew members, Zoro seemingly having his own haki version of his own, and luffy just starting to use his in an uncontrolled manner. With Margaret explanation I believe is more evidence as to how silver could fight kizaru the way he did.

The arrival of Margaret’s Amazonian friends comes with perfect timing, just as she attacking luffy they find her. Luffy already on the run has more to think about and Margaret being alerted to Boa Hancock’s impending arrival is the main focus. I think Margaret’s friends found her as she was attacking luffy to make it even more of a shock when she helps him somehow in the future of this arc.

Ace’s Execution is set!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-10.jpg

Well its what I and a many others thought she’s in fact a shichibukai, and she is being called by the main vice admiral Momonga, a strong man who was willing to be eaten by a sea monster so he could cut it from within. Momonga seems like a very serious and experienced person and his strength is easily acknowledged by the Amazonian pirate women. But his arrival marks more than just the death of the sea monster; he’s there to collect Boa Hancock as the execution date of ace is set in stone.

They really did mean beautiful

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-9.jpg

So Oda is going for the Greek Medusa theme with her two gorgon sisters. Sandersonia and Marigold, well I admit I was wrong, with the strength = beauty, I think that was to ensure we would not undestimate the most beautiful women on the island as weak. She already comes off as cold and quite selfish not caring about anything other than what she wants.

The Snake with the dead skull around her seemingly a great representation of her, also the other two sisters seem quite weird looking, we have a panther type animal and a falcon type bird for the fat sister who looks like an opera singer. The two ugly sisters only show off boa hancocks beauty but being her sister i'm sure they are powerful.

Boa Hancock

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-9.jpg

Well she’s just what we expect from most shichibukai but different to kuma, doesn’t want to listen to the WG but enjoys her position as a shichibukai. I can imagine her being one of the most dangerous for the marines to deal with, how she came about with the offer to become a shichibukai well I believe it was due to an attack on her home village the marines would have been able to mount as soon as dr vegapunk could make marine battleships travel the calm belt.

As much as she seems completely cold and selfish I believe her love for her people it’s what drives her to her current position. She’s completely unwilling to fight WB and who knows if that’s because she’s afraid or doesn’t want to fight a battle which may cost her crew members lives.

It’s her vanity that seemingly number 1 in her mind, the root of her selfish characteristics, she believes she can get away with anything and this includes turning the marines into stone and lying about what happened to them

Perverts become statues

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/10-6.jpg

Well Hancocks powers are revealed, she can turn men who look at her with any perverted thoughts to stone, I guess that’s why she dresses the way she does cause even the Vice admiral who seemed the only man who didn’t care about her beauty had to stab himself to remove all his thoughts in his head.

I noticed earlier how the crew members listen to hancock’s demand of having all their loot on the marine ship, her powers seem to be able to react of the opponents mind and maybe amplified with her will power or haki. How her ability knows what your thinking is really intriguing and I hope we see and gain more information on Hancock.

The final Warning

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/11-2.jpg

Well Boa seems not too care much about the VA’s warning and after turning all his men to stone she seems quite confident. 2days is the limit and that’s enough time to capture luffy, he said he will not leave empty handed but if he has luffy caught by Boa hancock I’m sure the marines/wg will ignore her absence in the war. It’s luffy’s only option to get of this island and it will either be on boa’s ship or the Va’s ship.

Ace will be killed in 1 week and in 2 days time luffy will be leaving the island how, is anyones guess.

Rating
9 out of 10
Another build up chapter with very good revealations, the haki is what I like most but ace’s execution date has set the time and pace for the next few chapters

Prediction
Oda has made a great chapter and I believe that luffy will be caught by the amazons. I think Hancock will try to give the Va’s a dead luffy and Margaret will do something to warrant Hancock keeping luffy an alive captive of the marines.
I think Oda is now planning on mixing the crew into this attack of whitebeard and I’m now becoming a lot less certain if Oda will be giving each member a mini storyline.

well if you got this far thanks for reading, your views and comments of improvement will be appricated

Superman
September 27, 2008, 09:30 AM
Again i didnt read everything but what i read was nice. Somehow my interest for reviews rises.:D
You made it Neo. No bad critics because i just read without thinking and without ripping your post appart and just enjoyed it.
Nice nice even though i didnt read more than "Luffy is Luffy".

Tsukisama
September 27, 2008, 03:46 PM
But something I really noticed in this colour spread was Zoro and Chopper, Out of the who crew these two are the only ones who don’t seem happy, in fact they look quite focused, Chopper sweating and Zoro the only crew member bleeding and trapped in this collage. Maybe this is an insight into what Oda is planning for Zoro or maybe it’s a symbolisation of where Zoro is emotionally or maybe I’m looking too much into it but all in all what a great colour spread.

Another lovely review as usual. I agreed with many of your points. The one with which I disagreed most was the one in the preceding quote. While I do believe Oda was making a bit of a statement by showing the first appearances of the Mugiwara crew, I don't think Zoro and Chopper's pictures bode anything in particular. Just like the others, those are their first appearances. Zoro was stuck to that cross, bleeding like that, and Chopper was fearfully hiding behind a wall.

neomaster121
September 27, 2008, 04:16 PM
Again i didnt read everything but what i read was nice. Somehow my interest for reviews rises.:D
You made it Neo. No bad critics because i just read without thinking and without ripping your post appart and just enjoyed it.
Nice nice even though i didnt read more than "Luffy is Luffy".

: ) thanks it's good that you enjoyed what you read

Another lovely review as usual. I agreed with many of your points. The one with which I disagreed most was the one in the preceding quote. While I do believe Oda was making a bit of a statement by showing the first appearances of the Mugiwara crew, I don't think Zoro and Chopper's pictures bode anything in particular. Just like the others, those are their first appearances. Zoro was stuck to that cross, bleeding like that, and Chopper was fearfully hiding behind a wall.

yea i did think i might have been over thinking the colourspread scenes and its true Zoro when we first saw him wasn't in a good way n chopper was 1 scared reindeer

its just that i could shake a feeling i've had ever since the SA fight, Zoro again suffering and chopper feeling helpless thus going monster point

well its good that you like the review after my last one piece review i was hoping to improve

winddial
September 27, 2008, 05:10 PM
Let me add my voice of praise for the review.

yea i did think i might have been over thinking the colourspread scenes and its true Zoro when we first saw him wasn't in a good way n chopper was 1 scared reindeer

its just that i could shake a feeling i've had ever since the SA fight, Zoro again suffering and chopper feeling helpless thus going monster point

well its good that you like the review after my last one piece review i was hoping to improve

For me, that colourspread showing all of Luffy's nakama when the first appeared in the Manga is something like Oda waving a flag with "meet the next nakama soon". Whether that will be Margaret still remains to be seen, though...

Mr.Popo
September 27, 2008, 05:25 PM
Nice review, even better than the last one.
You made some good points.

But with one thing a don't agree (again):

As much as she seems completely cold and selfish I believe her love for her people it’s what drives her to her current position. She’s completely unwilling to fight WB and who knows if that’s because she’s afraid or doesn’t want to fight a battle which may cost her crew members lives.
I do not belief she loves her people. If she does, than only deep down inside her mind and it needs some pretty good beat up to bring it out.
I mean, she is a "spoiled brat", the most important thing is she herself.
And all the actions of her people on Amazon Lily show me that they fear her.
I think she will be a major villain and Momonga some sort of ally.

neomaster121
September 27, 2008, 05:50 PM
Let me add my voice of praise for the review.

For me, that colourspread showing all of Luffy's nakama when the first appeared in the Manga is something like Oda waving a flag with "meet the next nakama soon". Whether that will be Margaret still remains to be seen, though...

well could be, or Oda may have drawn it like that just to symbolise the current predicument nothing more, but if it is a hint as to what may happen soon well we will soon find out within a few chapters

luffys arc doesn't got that much time in it

Nice review, even better than the last one.
You made some good points.

But with one thing a don't agree (again):

I do not belief she loves her people. If she does, than only deep down inside her mind and it needs some pretty good beat up to bring it out.
I mean, she is a "spoiled brat", the most important thing is she herself.
And all the actions of her people on Amazon Lily show me that they fear her.
I think she will be a major villain and Momonga some sort of ally.

well i just think that to be made a shichibukai there must of been something which forced her hand. I think shes so selfish that theres no other reason for her to become a shichibukai with the conditions that the marines left her home island alone. Well at least thats how i see it for now

RobinotX
September 29, 2008, 05:59 AM
Nice review,

Your theory in the conclusion is very good. That they maybe going to catch Luffy and give him to Momonga ^^.

:)

MAX_COLA_POWER!
September 29, 2008, 07:53 AM
Nice review Neo^^! I wanna see what you think of this theory I wrote in Haruka's review: When Hancock meets Luffy, and if they fight, wouldn't that make Luffy like Usopp vs. Perona? Luffy's a goofy kid who thirsts for adventure. He doesn't have any impure thoughts at all, or any kind of thoughts for that matter^^;;. Luffy will be immune to Hancock's powers, and it would be interesting if she falls for him like Alvida, because he was the first person to strike her. Also, Margaret has become a victim of the I-like-Luffy-because-even-though-he's-incredibly-stupid-he's-still-a-nice-person-with-a-little-of-I-still-wanna-see-his-kintama disease. THAT'S WHY SHE RESCUED HIM I SAYS!

neomaster121
September 29, 2008, 11:15 AM
Nice review,

Your theory in the conclusion is very good. That they maybe going to catch Luffy and give him to Momonga ^^.

:)

Thanks well yea it seems like his only way to leave the island and plus it can help out hancock in the long run (if she gives him to momonga)

Nice review Neo^^! I wanna see what you think of this theory I wrote in Haruka's review: When Hancock meets Luffy, and if they fight, wouldn't that make Luffy like Usopp vs. Perona? Luffy's a goofy kid who thirsts for adventure. He doesn't have any impure thoughts at all, or any kind of thoughts for that matter^^;;. Luffy will be immune to Hancock's powers, and it would be interesting if she falls for him like Alvida, because he was the first person to strike her. Also, Margaret has become a victim of the I-like-Luffy-because-even-though-he's-incredibly-stupid-he's-still-a-nice-person-with-a-little-of-I-still-wanna-see-his-kintama disease. THAT'S WHY SHE RESCUED HIM I SAYS!

lol thing is if a Va can stop her powers, i'm sure she would have been caught long ago if she was weak. I believe that we haven't seen all of her strength and she must also be a haki user considering Maragaret knows haki. Even if luffy was imune i don't think it would leave her powerless to him, i think shes not a nice person and would jsut want to kill luffy even more, i don't think it will be like perona, she was just weak lol

remember on that island strength is beauty and shes the most beautyful on the island
well a lot of you know my views on magaret and i still think she's joining the crew especially after we've seen this unforgiving vain selfish women as their empress

gao_dargon
September 29, 2008, 09:57 PM
i don't think that he will be inmune, rember even he got a nose bleed when Nami did de "happines punch" in Alabasta??? all though i might be wrong, and about your theory of leaving the island, it certanly look like the more logic way isn't it?? but knowing Oda he might as well make Luffy steel the ship with Margaret. I do think someone in the island is going to teach him how to use haki in at least the "Shanks way", buy you think it's gonna be Margaret? Hancock? or he is gonna learn it by himself just looking at it like he did with soru???

Mr.Popo
September 30, 2008, 10:52 AM
but knowing Oda he might as well make Luffy steel the ship with Margaret.
I don't think that it's a good idea to flee with Margaret, at least not alone. I mean Margaret should be even worse at sailing than Luffy! Luffy sucks at navigation, but has at least some experience in sailing. Margaret on the other hand never left her island and probably never entered a ship. So there need to be at least a third person, like Momonga or the scenario neomaster predicted where Luffy is being caught.

I do think someone in the island is going to teach him how to use haki in at least the "Shanks way", buy you think it's gonna be Margaret? Hancock? or he is gonna learn it by himself just looking at it like he did with soru???
Definitely the last option! No one will teach him, he will figure it out by himself and will use it in a way to improve his existing attacks (and probably create a new one too).

Aikidoka
October 01, 2008, 09:34 PM
Great review, neo.

I'd like to say that I also sort of disagree with your opinion on Hancock joining the Shichibukai to protect her homeland. Something might have prompted her to join, like you said, but I think that something would be more of the prospect of freedom to go where she likes, and not as much protection of her homeland. She's incredibly selfish, so the only real reason she'd have to protect her homeland would be to ensure that her followers would still be alive.

I agree, I really admire Momonga, and I hope to see more of him in the future (which I'm sure we will).

In response to gao_dargon, while Luffy may not be entirely immune to Hancock's effects, his top priority right now is his crewmates. Luffy doesn't have time to hang around and think perverted thoughts about women, so even if he isn't immune, he's too focused to care about Hancock's beauty.