PDA

View Full Version : Oka is DEAD.

ryairyai
October 05, 2008, 07:43 PM
Oka is definitely dead. There is no doubt about it. Zoom in on the picture (http://www.onemanga.com/Gantz/276/14/) and you can clearly see that the two outstretched fingers are ATTACHED TO HIS LEFT HAND along with the bent pinky and the thumb.

In Nurari's right hand is Oka's lifeless torso and a half-broken spine. All the more proof that the "strongest man on earth" is in fact, dead.

For all those who stubbornly argue that for some blue-hell bizarre reason Nurari is trying to *FAKE* out Katou into thinking Oka is dead, just re-read the chapter again; or save the picture and zoom in enough to see it. I mean the whole theory of "faking" out Katou is already dumb enough as it is, so please try not to misguide anyone else who's having doubts.

If you are such a fan of Okas, pray that the mangaka will bring him back via the 100-point resurrection, because there ain't no damn way Oka's coming back home like Jesus rising from the graves.

EDIT:

http://i38.tinypic.com/2aje3bc.jpg

Hey guys, hello everyone!!

Gantz is fun, I love reading it, I love your discussion!!!

This "fingers" issue has been frustrating me to no end, so I decided to post this pic.

And, umm, the posts are a bit too long to, umm... go through, what's da fuzz?

Here, here's my simple explanation - at least of what my limitation allows me to explain, I even number the fingers in sequence for the sake of our comfort:

in this frame, I can only see 4 fingers, all belong to the "left" hand.
Left marked in red, right in blue.
1 -pinky
2 -ring
3 -middle
5 -thumb!

"NO 4 - index"

No right hand fingers.

Well?

Thanks for providing the clarifying picture.

Lastly, for those people who says that the body would be seen: notice how nurari lands with an angle, or he is being propelled forward. Basic physics would prove that the body that is held in the right hand would swing back from the force of the propulsion, aptly being covered enTIRELY by the 2 arms, which completely covers the background (in the sense that you can't see the background in between the forearms). For those who thinks that the body is too thick to be covered, notice the way he lands: SIDEWAYS. Which would imply that Oka's torso would also be swung back SIDEWAYS, which is indubitably hecka lot thinner than the frontside view.

POINT AND CASE PEOPLE. Nothing to see here. Story's over. Go home.

Quetz
October 06, 2008, 08:34 AM
I see nothing in that picture that leads me to believe that oka is present in it.

Oka
October 07, 2008, 04:21 PM
Oka will never die.

Kozar927
October 07, 2008, 04:43 PM
havnt we settled this yet lol
hes dead
why bring this back : /
loll

Masterchief
October 08, 2008, 05:21 AM
does it matter wether hes doa? either way his role in the manga is finished the only thing that would happen if he was alive is that people would realize nurari wasnt as strong as he was believed 2 be.

Amnesiac
October 10, 2008, 10:45 AM
Oka will never die.

That's correct. Unless someone revives him, he can't die again.

Sheard
October 10, 2008, 11:07 AM
and the Osaka team isn't big on resurrecting people so Oka is going to stay dead

Hollow Kurono
October 10, 2008, 02:23 PM
^^Exactly,Oka is gonna stay dead.And jut by lookin at the picture you can perfectly tell that hes dead.That is so obvious.

putopooche
November 15, 2008, 01:22 AM
well im shock about that.. i thought 100point alien will just complete his form and fights back.. haha

putopooche
November 16, 2008, 01:52 AM
well..my guess is oka is real dead.. but this is not sure:p

ryakugo
January 20, 2009, 08:12 AM
i think oka bought a resurection of gantz himself from the 100 points menu in case he died during a mission he's cleard a bucket load of times an it could of been one of the more bowerful wepons he could of purchased.

Amnesiac
January 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
Why would Oka run from Nuri if he had an extra life?

He's dead. And good riddance.

warbandit66
January 20, 2009, 11:00 AM
Why would Oka run from Nuri if he had an extra life?

He's dead. And good riddance.

Just because you have an extra life it doesn't mean you want to throw it away. If he did have one he probably worked hard to get it... Besides I'd imagine dying hurts.

I personally though Oka was awesome although my only gripe with him was the fact that he was able to get out of the gorrilla suit and appear behind Nuri... What's up with that?

102jayday
January 20, 2009, 11:11 AM
hmm reikas plan on bringing a new kurono...
maybe oka once out of his 7 clears decided to revive someone(after getting 100 points and no one else on the team was alive kinda like the budda wipe) and he revived himself so he had a extra life....sounds wild
so maybe there was 2 oka;s and one hid the whole time or the one that bailed hid and nuri found the 2nd oka lol

Amnesiac
January 20, 2009, 02:05 PM
Just because you have an extra life it doesn't mean you want to throw it away. If he did have one he probably worked hard to get it... Besides I'd imagine dying hurts.

I personally though Oka was awesome although my only gripe with him was the fact that he was able to get out of the gorrilla suit and appear behind Nuri... What's up with that?

It was either risk dying and losing the extra life or risk losing the points he had scored in the mission and the chance of 100 extra points.

Anyway, there's no evidence of an extra life option. Oka was too powerful, he had to somehow get away from the story or it would become boring. And now he's dead.

Tae needs to go too, should have stayed dead the first time, or Kurono should have let her go after her revival.

GAT-X252
March 04, 2009, 12:44 PM
He was really powerfull, but too arrogant, that is why he died.

It doesn't matter what Gantz wants, maybe there is an option related to the 100 points menu that allows you to get an extra life in case you die.

cassaruby
March 04, 2009, 01:07 PM
Tae isn't completely useless she's just a different direction. If your only into action, blood & guy stuff, well she's useless. But if your trying to get your girlfriend to read Gantz she's great. I'd love a manga that mixes Shoujo & Seinen.

Asic
March 04, 2009, 01:30 PM
An extra life? Maybe... I mean, there has to be a level cap at some point, what goes past the suit? After the suit killing aliens is easier, racking up the points would be no problem.

I do think oka is dead, if he had an extra life he still would have run. Even with a one-up, he would be brought back having to start over.

Renan
March 04, 2009, 03:03 PM
Oka is most likely dead. I didn't like him. He better stay dead.

Amnesiac
March 04, 2009, 04:11 PM
I really wish Oka comes back to life. In my opinion, he is cooler than Kurono.

LOL, no.

With his last stunt, even Inaba is a gillion times cooler than Oka.

Amnesiac
March 04, 2009, 04:30 PM
The only thing cool moment Oka had was when 1/3 of him appeared hanging from Nuri's hands.

Amigo!
March 04, 2009, 06:28 PM
hahaha yea oka should have finished off nuri somehow, its not like he couldn't have.
....btw why isn't this thread dead yet?

Renan
March 04, 2009, 09:12 PM
If anyone is the clever one it's you. You've been able to save yourself several times. Ha ha ha. But really, Oka doesn't deserve another life.

JediKnight
March 10, 2009, 11:56 AM
Wow someone said Inaba was cooler than Oka. Oka is not my favorite
character, or do I like him. But he is a very strong Gantzer. He usually
fights the end boss. I didn't like what he did in his fight with Nuri. But
then again the whole Osaka team as strong as they are, were reckless.
But that being said, Inaba wishes he could be Oka. At least Oka fights
and wins. Inaba can't do what Oka has done. Inaba is a loser. I

warbandit66
March 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
How is it that people can say that Izumi is cool yet go onto say that Oka isn't? Izumi would've had arse handed to him by Nuri in the form that Oka fought against. Izumi for all the merit everybody gives him has never once defeated a final boss. Remember when he was on his knees like a bitch before the might of the Oni boss?

Mishimoto
March 10, 2009, 03:58 PM
Oka is from the Osaka team, there a bunch of rapists, sadists, drug addicts most of them dont give a shit about human life, not one of them would put their lives on the line to save another person all they care about is staying alive and getting points. Oka is just like the rest of them.

mcd693
April 04, 2009, 11:01 AM
The osaka team will probably be seen again in the series. I have a feeling that they will make this appearance in the catastrophe and that Oka will be present. Yes Oka died. But the members of the team that were left(besides the sexaholic and two girls) aka the 17 yr old virgin will probably revive the girl. The girl or the 17yr old will then probably revive Oka. Oka is insurance. Insurance that if you come across high level aliens he will most likely kill them. What logical gantzer wouldn't revive oka.

GAT-X252
April 04, 2009, 11:53 AM
lol

As much as i like Oka i hope that Nerdo dies before he can revive anyone...he is annoying and it seemed like Oku created him just to say "Kato is amazing, Kato is a hero"...

PS: Kato is Oku's favorite character according to an interview with Chiaki Kuriyama.

georgemarvin
April 04, 2009, 12:46 PM
I would guess that one of these two scenarios happened:

1. I was right and the known shape-shifter Nuri was just faking them out, and didn't really kill Oka at all; he just made it look like he was holding Oka's torso to psych them out. He could turn into anything he wanted to, after all, and when he first landed, it looked like his hands were empty. One old stand-by in comics and manga: If you don't see an epic battle drawn on the page, there's something fishy going on; the author probably doesn't want you to know something important that he will reveal later.

2: If Oka's dead, and Knob-yan lived, then we'll see Knob-yan using Oka's robot and flying cycle. It's even possible that the gorilla suits don't bind to the player. If so, Knob will have inherited the whole kit and kaboodle. If Knob-yan didn't live, then Kuwabara would be next in line to inherit all the loot. Neither one of them would rez Oka, even if it didn't cost them a single point, because that would mean that they wouldn't get to keep all of his goodies.

BrazilianGantzer
April 04, 2009, 02:46 PM
Perosnally, I don't care about Oka...I just wanna see more G-suits. It could be Oka again, it could be a member of the Tokyo team or a member of any team. I JUST WANNA SEE MORE G-SUITS! :p

The best thing EVER would be to see a Brazilian team with a G-suit (or more than one!!)

I really think that during Katastrophe we're gonna see many teams with G-suits. Seeing Oka and the Italian guy in G-suits (and they're both dead) makes be believe that we're gonna see more.

Damura
April 05, 2009, 05:22 AM
I would guess that one of these two scenarios happened:

1. I was right and the known shape-shifter Nuri was just faking them out, and didn't really kill Oka at all; he just made it look like he was holding Oka's torso to psych them out. He could turn into anything he wanted to, after all, and when he first landed, it looked like his hands were empty. One old stand-by in comics and manga: If you don't see an epic battle drawn on the page, there's something fishy going on; the author probably doesn't want you to know something important that he will reveal later.

2: If Oka's dead, and Knob-yan lived, then we'll see Knob-yan using Oka's robot and flying cycle. It's even possible that the gorilla suits don't bind to the player. If so, Knob will have inherited the whole kit and kaboodle. If Knob-yan didn't live, then Kuwabara would be next in line to inherit all the loot. Neither one of them would rez Oka, even if it didn't cost them a single point, because that would mean that they wouldn't get to keep all of his goodies.

It does seem odd that Nuri was able to track down Oka so quickly, yet couldn't figure out where Reika was shooting from (plus the building exploding, even though Nuri seemed to be a physical fighter in it's current form). So I guess either Nuri faked the whole thing, or Oka tried to ambush him and failed miserably.

kaliayev
April 05, 2009, 06:46 AM
@damura
Hmmm, remember the chibi alien? He was able to track Kurono, but not until after he knew what he was looking for. Same kinda thing could have happened to our unfortunate Oka. Nura decided he was enough of a threat that he had to concentrate on taking him out. Since he was now familiar with Oka's aura, he could sense where he was. Oka was probably hoping that the others would be able to stall Nura long enough for him to get out of Nura's range (that plan didn't work). However, Nura didn't really bother trying to attune his senses to the others before he came back with Oka's corpse. I imagine he locked on to Katou and figured they'd stay together if they tried to run, or he can only lock on to a few hunters at once.

Damura
April 06, 2009, 05:31 AM
Locking on to an enemy is a poor excuse. If he couldn't sense Reika's bomb, I doubt he could have sensed Oka's just by "locking on". Everyone should share the same "aura" anyway because the bombs are all the same.
[hr]
I really doubt that he could lock on to Oka. The Chibi alien couldn't track Kei anyway. He had read Kurono's mind and located his school, but the fact that he got there well before Kei and slaughtered his classmates, rather than attacking Kei directly suggests that he couldn't actually track Kei.

kaliayev
April 06, 2009, 12:44 PM
@damura
http://view.thespectrum.net/series/gantz-volume-09.html?ch=Volume%2009&pg=09-127.jpg

Eventually, Nura was able to sense Reika:
http://www.mangavolume.com/index.php?serie=gantz&chapter=gantz-278&page_nr=7

If they didn't emit somewhat different signals, gantz would blow up all their heads whenever someone broke a rule. One should also take into consideration the fact that Reika and Oka weren't sent by the same gantz ball and that Nura was getting decimated, which would make it difficult for him to concentrate on/locate four different signals.

Wrath
April 06, 2009, 05:51 PM
Kurono might resurrect Oka, assuming he got 100 points in the latest mission. I mean if the guy was willing to bring back Nishi on the chance that he might know more about Gantz than they did, he'd probably be willing to bring back someone known to have gotten 100 points seven times.

Amnesiac
April 06, 2009, 06:04 PM
Kurono might resurrect Oka, assuming he got 100 points in the latest mission. I mean if the guy was willing to bring back Nishi on the chance that he might know more about Gantz than they did, he'd probably be willing to bring back someone known to have gotten 100 points seven times.

Izumi.

But resurrection probably isn't an option anymore.

mcd693
April 06, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have a strong feeling that regardless if Oka is or is not dead he will be in the catastrophe. If he's not dead then he will be there with another toy most likely(I mean personally I think he'd dead but im not going to rule out the possibility that he is still alive) If he is dead then I think that the his team will revive him. He's just to much of an asset to lose to the team and the Gantz war effort. He is also our only glimpse into future weapons and only reference to said weapons. Like kurono he is too important and will definately be back.

Amnesiac
April 06, 2009, 07:42 PM
A revived player comes back with his score back at zero, so logically he also loses any special equipment he had. It's a reset

mcd693
April 06, 2009, 09:44 PM
A revived player comes back with his score back at zero, so logically he also loses any special equipment he had. It's a reset

@Amnesiac-Hmm, interesting theory. Would this include his g-suit? I hadn't thought of the possibility of him losing his equipment. I don't think that is all that likely. He didn't seem to care when his mec and flying bike were destroyed(probably thinking that he would receive them when returning to the room...) Unfortunately the best point i can come up with is that Katou still had his Y-gun when he came back(I know that this will most likely spark another debate and that its really not that good a point). I think that the only thing we can do is wait and see unless you have a good supporting argument.

georgemarvin
April 06, 2009, 11:49 PM
Actually, Oka served several purposes already.
1. He let us see the armor and giant robot in action that Oku first showed us the drawings of waaaayy back in issue 154, as well as showing that some of the bikes can fly.
http://mangavolume.com/index.php?serie=gantz&chapter=gantz-154&page_nr=24
2. He showed us that nobody's immortal, no matter how many times they ave cleared.
3. He showed us just how inferior that the Tokyo Gantz team's equipment really is.
4. He showed us just how effective Nishi's stealth tactics are.
5. By having Oka walk away from the fight, he provided Oku with a way to cut Nuri down to size, while still allowing the Tokyo team to get the kill.
6. His "death" was a great way to keep fans interested in the series. After all, the battle had taken nearly 2 years; that's a long time for even an epic battle, much less a preliminary one leading up to the big fight.

We'll probably see Oka again before the series ends; I don't think he's really dead. But if he is, Nishi recognized him, so it's even possible that Nishi will rez him with his 100 points. Not likely; Nishi's a selfiish little bastard. But possible.

Damura
April 07, 2009, 12:55 AM
Wtf are you talking about George... Nishi didn't even see Oka... he was all wounded n' shit. Not only that, but Oka's in a seperate memory/database.

mcd693
April 07, 2009, 11:01 AM
We'll probably see Oka again before the series ends; I don't think he's really dead. But if he is, Nishi recognized him, so it's even possible that Nishi will rez him with his 100 points. Not likely; Nishi's a selfiish little bastard. But possible.

@georgemarvin- I also don't recall Nishi knowing who Oka was. Im not ruling it out because Nishi has contacts and with such a high level Gantzer to not be known by Nishi would be suprising. It would appear that the Osaka team was well in tune with the the goings on of Gantz as well. They were overly confident and the heroin junkie had a laptop/camera hooked up to some kind of points system. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Osaka team was involved with some kind of online Gantz network that Nishi is part of. Granted a lot of the team was comprised of idiots who thoroughly believed that the tokyo team were the aliens. However there were much smarter members on the team that would care enough to know the goings on of other teams. For example when Nishi showed "catastrophe" he mentioned that "we"(or something along those lines) didn't know what it was but came to the general concencus that it probably had to do with nuclear war.(suggesting that he was talking to MANY members of other Gantz groups)

So Im way off topic... but I think that the possibility of Nishi reviving Oka is unlikely like Damura said(I mean this is really something we haven't seen yet and the limited size of the memory would suggest that revivng a player is specific to your respective gantz ball) Again Im not going to rule out the possibility especially since gantz is malfuntiong but I would believe the theory that if Nishi knows who Oka is that he is confident that he will be revived by his own team. He probably doesn't care. He was more interested in Izumi and if Nishi is ever to revive ANYONE it would probably be Izumi because he played with him and saw his skills first hand.

Im still confident that if Oka is ded that he will be revived by the Osakan team and that the nerd kid is going to turn rambo(mark my words bud-RAMBO).

JediKnight
April 07, 2009, 12:20 PM
Sorry GeorgeMarvin I gotta agree with everyone else. Nishi
doesn't know or has ever seen Oka before. Besides Oka is in Osaka's
data banks just like Ansu. Somebody from Osaka would have to
revive him.

kaliayev
April 07, 2009, 02:37 PM
If Nishi and Oka are both members of the gantz chan/internet community of bloggers, then they "know" each other (omg, they're friends on myspace). Given that both characters' knowledge of gantz is far superior to that of other hunters, it's 95% probable that they are both members of the internet community. Also, there was a page where Nishi said Oka's name (one could come to a lot of conclusions about this). Based on this, and one's determination to follow the set of implications Oku has left us with, one could easily conclude that they know one another. Besides, if Oka was one of the "stars" of gantz, which we assume he was, then he's bound to have prestige in the community.

mcd693
April 07, 2009, 03:30 PM
If Nishi and Oka are both members of the gantz chan/internet community of bloggers, then they "know" each other (omg, they're friends on myspace). Given that both characters' knowledge of gantz is far superior to that of other hunters, it's 95% probable that they are both members of the internet community. Also, there was a page where Nishi said Oka's name (one could come to a lot of conclusions about this). Based on this, and one's determination to follow the set of implications Oku has left us with, one could easily conclude that they know one another. Besides, if Oka was one of the "stars" of gantz, which we assume he was, then he's bound to have prestige in the community.

@kaliayev- well i think the point is just that it didn't appear that he knew of Oka as well as someone like Izumi. Nishi and Oka didn't cruise over to each other and fist bump each other like buds either. It is likely that they know about each other or have even talked to each other online but i have a feeling like their relationship is simular to our relationship with other manga helpers. Im gonna agree with most guys on here about theories or speculation but im not gonna sit down and have a beer with them and shoot the shit because what the relationship is is business.

In conclusion they probably do know each other but they would never show it. There is also no real evidence that I know of that suggests that they do know each other.

JediKnight
April 07, 2009, 05:11 PM
Your missing the big point, Nishi would not be able to revive Oka.

mcd693
April 07, 2009, 05:18 PM
Your missing the big point, Nishi would not be able to revive Oka.

@JediKnight- As unlikely as it is for Nishi to revive Oka because he's not in the Tokyo gantz database, Oka is in a Gantz database and therefore we can't rule the possibility out because we really don't know for sure yet.

georgemarvin
April 09, 2009, 03:40 AM
The Gantz balls communicate with each other, or they couldn't set up joint missions. If a Tokyo team member asked to revive an Osakan team member, Gantz would probably do it. The big question would be whether the revived player would be in Tokyo or Osaka when they were brought back.

This is the place where it seemed like Nishi knew Oka. Nishi was hurt but still conscious at the time.
http://www.mangavolume.com/index.php?serie=gantz&chapter=gantz-269&page_nr=9

BigCamaro
April 09, 2009, 06:09 AM
lls..I thought the thread said Oku is dead.. was like oh shitt..no 296..Is that even nishi talking above.
hopefully katastrophe by 300! their opponents? The spartan aliens

Damura
April 09, 2009, 08:58 AM
It seemed to me like Nishi (if it was Nishi that spoke), meant something more like "who the fuck is Oka", rather than "Oka's here?" On the next page Nerdo even goes on to say Oka's full name. Besides, why would Nishi be surprised that Oka showed up, if he's an Osakan?

http://media1.mangavolume.com/Manga/Gantz/Gantz%20269/compressed/31427_668697.jpg

GAT-X252
April 09, 2009, 05:28 PM
I don't think it was Nishi, i think it was Kato or Anzu saying his name.

mcd693
April 09, 2009, 10:01 PM
Well while the picture is up... who thinks that that is a flying bike or the original but Oka has figured out how to make it fly?

Damura
April 09, 2009, 11:38 PM
I think that it is seperate from the normal bikes.. I believe that there is a two bike limit per team on normal bikes. If that is the case, the flying bike must be a reward, since we already saw the Osakans use both of their bikes.

Revilenigma
April 14, 2009, 02:10 PM
Well while the picture is up... who thinks that that is a flying bike or the original but Oka has figured out how to make it fly?

It's not the bike, the bing is one ring where as the jet thing has two and it has this weird fan like thing on ring that lays on it's side (sorry if my explanation sucks :headscratch).
[hr]

1. He let us see the armor and giant robot in action that Oku first showed us the drawings of waaaayy back in issue 154, as well as showing that some of the bikes can fly.
http://mangavolume.com/index.php?serie=gantz&chapter=gantz-154&page_nr=24

I could be wrong but I think that image could just be concept art from his manga Zero-One, or one of his sci-fi shorts.

roxas_strife2
April 22, 2009, 10:44 AM
Oka is definitely dead. If I were to see him alive again after that I would be stunned. I'm still near absolute when it comes to being sure he is dead though. If he is alive he might not even have all that great equipment anymore.

BrazilianGantzer
April 22, 2009, 11:17 AM
Oka is definitely dead. If I were to see him alive again after that I would be stunned. I'm still near absolute when it comes to being sure he is dead though. If he is alive he might not even have all that great equipment anymore.

Ohohoho!:amuse You got me there! Imagine if we see him in Katastrophe in a normal suit with an X-gun and when they ask him where his cool stuff went he says that "the big black jawbreaker took it all away when I got revived!:o"

roxas_strife2
April 22, 2009, 01:13 PM
Well, I just don't think Gantz would let someone keep their equipment if they died and were revived. This could really go either way though, there isn't one that is more likely than the other.

BrazilianGantzer
April 23, 2009, 08:03 AM
Well, I just don't think Gantz would let someone keep their equipment if they died and were revived. This could really go either way though, there isn't one that is more likely than the other.

I know...that bald dude in the black ball is really unpredictable. That's what makes me love Gantz, hate Gantz, and keep reading it all at once!!

Still, we can't know if Gantz lets people who die keep their eqipment after they're dead. We don't know if Oka died at any point in his time in Gantz. Though if Gantz does remove equipment, this could be a good way of explaining why Nishi doesn't have cool gear after clearing a few times (IF HE HAS CLEARED OF COURSE!)