PDA

View Full Version : Neo's One piece Chapter 518 Review

neomaster121
October 11, 2008, 06:21 AM
Well unlucky for me I’ve awoken with a really bad cold but I won’t let it stop me releasing my chapter 518 review. Hope you enjoy

CP9 arrive

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-15.jpg

Well the pirate life wasn’t the life for them, but they have gone home, I don’t know why, maybe it was the assassin complex but I never thought they’d miss their homeland, but that does add a nice personal touch from Oda I must say.

Luffy you’ve seen what no one must ever see

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-15.jpg

Well we are right where we left off last week; whatever’s on hancock’s back must really be serious. The two sisters are quick to arrive as hancock announces that those who see what’s on her back must die. Luffy is still going on that he’s seen what’s on her back yet he can’t remember where and we still don’t know what.

It’s funny how luffy is mixing up mero mero with noro noro, maybe it’s hancock accent or the words when said in Japanese are similar sounds, but thinking that he would slow down and hancock thinking he would turn to stone luffy is left unaffected. It fails why is that?

Childish luffy

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-15.jpg

After thinking he would slow down luffy’s face is just a picture, I was laughing so much at luffy’s childish incompetence, I think Hancock abilities aren’t working because luffy’s just too stupid and simple minded for it too work. He doesn’t see her beauty, all he sees is a wet half naked women attacking him. I like how luffy looks kind of like a little child in the pic above just seems to emphasise luffy’s mind set, but hancock and her sisters as well as luffy are just unsure what’s going on.

Oda’s kept the comedy level of these current events quite high in comparison to the serious events going on at the moment, and luffy doesn’t need any hints when it comes to time for running away.

Caught again uh?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-15.jpg

Just as I predicted Luffy has been caught and is due to be executed, he’s placed in this humongous arena awaiting judgement tied by what seems to be snakes. Luffy’s comment makes me think that either these are special snakes or yet again use of haki placed on snakes.

It’s funny but now luffy finally realises there are no men on this island as Margaret is in the stands watching on as luffy is soon to be killed. Luffy you should have just mentioned 1 name and Boa would have believed you. If only he had said Kuma, as a fellow shichbukai she wouldn’t have been so quick to say luffy lied, even though it does sound quite unbelievable, but all you got to do is look at luffy and we all know he’s telling the truth eh Margaret?

The Time alone with luffy did the trick!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-15.jpg

Ah just as I thought Margaret wouldn’t be able to allow luffy to be killed like that without doing a thing, and as I said earlier in one of my previous reviews her two friends wouldn’t allow Margaret to suffer alone. All luffy can do is laugh as the 3 completely different ladies in appearance try to share the blame with Margaret. Luffy must be able to understand the friendship and closeness, to him they seem to be the only good guys left on the island, but luffy wouldn’t be laughing as he is, if he new the horrors he was about to put these women through.

OMG Luffy it’s because of you

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-15.jpg

Luffy is left with a gut wrenching feeling as those who saved him are turned to stone for doing so, this is also the first time luffy has seen Hancock’s abilities in action. People who have read my previous reviews will know that I’ve said that Margaret would join luffy if not with her friends and to me this is yet another clue on that final prediction of mine. Boa isn’t leading these people with fear and they want Hancock as their leader, so when luffy gets these girls turned back to normal they will have no place on this island, especially after luffys finished in this arena.

Now with the worry of his newly found life savers there’s now the “Bacura” to worry about.

Bacura

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-15.jpg

Luffy hates injustice and standing before the Black Panther with Margret and co behind him, luffy is in no mood to be killed by such a beast. In fact I actually felt sorry for this animal, because we all know luffy has beaten even worse animals without much problems. Especially once luffy gets into his serious moods, and when he’s in a serious mood we all know about it very quickly.

Screams of a Man

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-13.jpg

To the women on this island surprise luffy 1 hit kO this beast, what’s more interesting is that they knew that luffy did it with pure strength alone without using haki. Does this mean that haki can be felt, or seen by other haki users? But what’s also intriguing is that the seem to be surprised he could 1 hit kO a beast like that without using haki I guess the power of haki can make the weak quite strong, what it would do to luffy is just unimaginable.

Luffy’s will power and determination comes across in his screams to the crowd and as always in these situations luffy’s right, he finds this whole situation unbelievable, and it just shows how luffy thinks nakama in pirate crews should be treated, luffy you will make one hell of a pirate king.

Speechless

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-13.jpg

Yep that’s that, I can just see it in luffy’s eyes, and Oda draws these scenes well just so greatly, the anger and determination is all locked in a single image and that’s that. He doesn’t see hancock’s beauty in the slightest, he hates everything this island represents and stands for, and the luffy who entered this island will be completely different in terms of power, skill, will power, determination and use of haki I can just feel it happening already.

Of course Boa doesn’t know luffy’s persona and it’s these sorts of things are what luffy hates most whether you’re beautiful or ugly he will never forgive any of this.

True battle begins

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/10-8.jpg

The message says it all, it is time to show these women the power of true strength and remember “strength is beauty” on this island. I can’t help but think some of the women in the stands are already to gain a sparkle for luffy. His raw strength used in 1 hit KOing a beast must have been such a feat in these women eyes. All luffy and his crew have achieved so far they have done through determination and raw strength, it’s time for them to get stronger and this battle will be the starting point.

Rating

A 9 Out of 10
Fast pace chapter with great scenes of luffy funny and serious, I love where things are going and I’m really looking forward to next week.

Prediction
I predict luffy will be loosing at first, making similarities to his fight with sentoumaru, I believe this fight will be a fight of wills and luffy will eventually win.
I think we will have 5 more chapters on luffy making it a 10 chapter arc, whether Oda goes to the other crewmate’s well who knows, but it seems unlikely.

Well thats it for another of my reviews, hope you enjoyd it

Goji
October 11, 2008, 10:13 AM
I once again enjoyed reading your review Neo! Good to see the cold isn't getting to your reviewing skills! :P

Just as you, I like these serious chapters with a lot of humour in them. Luffy's funny faces are the best! The only thing I'm wondering now, is how will Luffy learn haki in this fight? Will he just 'get' it, when he sees it in action in a real life battle-situation. Just like how he saw Blueno use his soru to make his gear 2..?
Anyways, I'm looking forward seeing Luffy use haki! ^^

Mr.Popo
October 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
Nice review for a nice chapter

People who have read my previous reviews will know that I’ve said that Margaret would join luffy if not with her friends and to me this is yet another clue on that final prediction of mine.
I read you last reviews and partly agreed with you here (but only Margaret possibly joining).
But after this chapter and this scene i got another idea of what could possibly happen.
Margaret and friends are three, Boa and sisters are three also.
Could it be that Margaret will succeed Boa as the next empress of Amazon Lily?
Luffy can't let Boa keep on ruling this island the way she does now.
So either Boa will change her mind, or the title of the empress will be vacant.

He doesn’t see hancock’s beauty in the slightest, he hates everything this island represents and stands for, and the
That's exactly what i think too. He is not immune, he just sees the truth.

Get well soon!

neomaster121
October 11, 2008, 01:03 PM
I once again enjoyed reading your review Neo! Good to see the cold isn't getting to your reviewing skills! :P

Just as you, I like these serious chapters with a lot of humour in them. Luffy's funny faces are the best! The only thing I'm wondering now, is how will Luffy learn haki in this fight? Will he just 'get' it, when he sees it in action in a real life battle-situation. Just like how he saw Blueno use his soru to make his gear 2..?
Anyways, I'm looking forward seeing Luffy use haki! ^^

lol thanks
well i think it maybe a simular thing to how he learnt soru of blueno, as i said the crowd knew he didn't use haki, how could they know especially from that far away, i think that either haki can be seen or felt and in this battle i think thats what luffy will do

Nice review for a nice chapter

I read you last reviews and partly agreed with you here (but only Margaret possibly joining).
But after this chapter and this scene i got another idea of what could possibly happen.
Margaret and friends are three, Boa and sisters are three also.
Could it be that Margaret will succeed Boa as the next empress of Amazon Lily?
Luffy can't let Boa keep on ruling this island the way she does now.
So either Boa will change her mind, or the title of the empress will be vacant.

That's exactly what i think too. He is not immune, he just sees the truth.

Get well soon!

Yea i have to admit the thought came to mind, but i don't see how luffy could remove Boa and her sisters from power.

Then replacing them with margaret and a friends well, they aren't the highest ranking of people Boa didn't even know who margaret was so i can't see how Oda will get rid of these top 3
especially when Hancocks a shichibukai and techniqually still protecting the island, the villagers should all know this. It may have happened if this was a full arc with the whole crew but as things stand i can't see it happening.

Well i'll try get well soon thanks ^__^

omniscientone
October 11, 2008, 08:53 PM
Great review. Well... Actually, I was thinking. We have had totally evil Shichibukai's (Croc, Moria), we have had neutrals (mihawk, maybe kuma?), what about a favoring one, a possible ally ? Boa seems the best possible convert, one who hates the WG... Whatcha think ?

MAX_COLA_POWER!
October 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
Nice review as always! Here's something I wrote in Haruka's review to see your opinion of it. I wonder if Hancock being overwhelmed by Luffy's immunity towards her charm is really surprising to her, or she's just being her spoiled self by being sarcastic. Also, Marigold and Sonia, are their powers really derived from the Gorgon curse? Isn't it possible that they both, like their sister, have a Devil Fruit power? Probably 2 Snake zoans with different models, or 1 Snake Zoan and 1 Lizard Zoan. Margaret being moved by Luffy's good will...as soon as she, Sweetpea and Aphelandra are free to move again, let the joining of the crew theories, BEGIN AGAIN! I really would like all 3 of the girls to join Luffy, but alas, one or 2 would be fine.

weixiaobao
October 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
i post to show support, i guess..

anyway
"I’ve said that Margaret would join luffy if not with her friends and to me this is yet another clue on that final prediction of mine."

somehow i got a crazy idea that Boa Hancock would sooner or later joined luffy after much physical beatings.. at least this will put luffy's crew out there a bit on the three great power chart..

secondly i guess Boa have such an extreme personality which could fit into the crew.. though i hope to know more about her..

good job..

omniscientone
October 12, 2008, 01:12 AM
Btw, isn't every DF unique ? Then there's no way both the Gorgon sisters cannot have the same Zoan DF. There might really be some other thing at work, like a curse...

neomaster121
October 12, 2008, 01:43 AM
Great review. Well... Actually, I was thinking. We have had totally evil Shichibukai's (Croc, Moria), we have had neutrals (mihawk, maybe kuma?), what about a favoring one, a possible ally ? Boa seems the best possible convert, one who hates the WG... Whatcha think ?

Hmm i could see what your saying but i can't imagine any shichibukai favouring the strawhats now, previously it could have happened luffy and co were weak, also u could say that kuma did techniqually help luffy and co considering there was no way they would have been surviving on the island for about 3 days
and with ace's execution in a weeks time when the crew do return kizaru or any other wouldn't/shouldn't be able to go after luffy while hes so close to them.

Hancock will favour them, but since she may want luffys love so to speak she may want to help him out to get off the island

Nice review as always! Here's something I wrote in Haruka's review to see your opinion of it. I wonder if Hancock being overwhelmed by Luffy's immunity towards her charm is really surprising to her, or she's just being her spoiled self by being sarcastic. Also, Marigold and Sonia, are their powers really derived from the Gorgon curse? Isn't it possible that they both, like their sister, have a Devil Fruit power? Probably 2 Snake zoans with different models, or 1 Snake Zoan and 1 Lizard Zoan. Margaret being moved by Luffy's good will...as soon as she, Sweetpea and Aphelandra are free to move again, let the joining of the crew theories, BEGIN AGAIN! I really would like all 3 of the girls to join Luffy, but alas, one or 2 would be fine.

Well yea i did before luffy landed say 2 members would join him, n well i thought 3 might then it went down to 1 and now its looking more likely those 3 may join, but it all depends on how luffy effects Hancock, if he makes her even more angry and making hancock banish those 3 then yea they will be new recruites but if he changes hancock's personality well thats another story.

I think with luffy immunity towards her she will go 1 of two ways, change to get his affection or hate and want to kill the 1 man who seems to not fall for her charms. I can't imagine shes met some of the top tier fighters in the one piece would, I'm sure she would then find a few more who are uneffected by her abilities

well with the 2 sisters, yea i think one might be a lizard and the other a snake, maybe vegapunk was involved but i don't i think it's unlikely. but i do think these two are devil fruit users

i post to show support, i guess..

anyway
"I’ve said that Margaret would join luffy if not with her friends and to me this is yet another clue on that final prediction of mine."

somehow i got a crazy idea that Boa Hancock would sooner or later joined luffy after much physical beatings.. at least this will put luffy's crew out there a bit on the three great power chart..

secondly i guess Boa have such an extreme personality which could fit into the crew.. though i hope to know more about her..

good job..

I don't get what you mean by a post to show support but ok lol
well its kinda like having a logia on the crew it would seem to over power the crew too much and she kinda comes across as a vein version of robin. Plus the wg wouldn't have that what so ever and they would just destroy Hancock's homeland, also luffy hates her, i don't see why or how he would have her join his crew

Btw, isn't every DF unique ? Then there's no way both the Gorgon sisters cannot have the same Zoan DF. There might really be some other thing at work, like a curse...

Yea as Max said before, these could be simular devil fruit abilities as we all know 2 people can't have the devil fruit powers. But it might have been a curse, but linked to boa's back i tihnk the curse was a lie and in fact she doesn't have eyes on her back, if the curse is a lie then it's more likely that the Gorgon sisters are using simular devil fruit's

Chongkee
October 12, 2008, 05:59 AM
Yea as Max said before, these could be simular devil fruit abilities as we all know 2 people can't have the devil fruit powers. But it might have been a curse, but linked to boa's back i tihnk the curse was a lie and in fact she doesn't have eyes on her back, if the curse is a lie then it's more likely that the Gorgon sisters are using simular devil fruit's

Yea i was thinking about all the curse being a lie too, the whole turning into stone thing is probably just Boa's doing, you know the 'die if you see my back by turning you to stone' that she wanted to do to Luffy.

neomaster121
October 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
Yea i was thinking about all the curse being a lie too, the whole turning into stone thing is probably just Boa's doing, you know the 'die if you see my back by turning you to stone' that she wanted to do to Luffy.

yea as soon as luffy didn't turn into stone after looking at her back it became apparent that the story was a fake
so whats really on her back is what i want to know

Goji
October 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
Yes, I also think they all have a DF-power. Boa obviously has some kind of paramecian stone-kind of power. And her two younger sisters both have a snake-type of Zoan DF-power.

We have seen other cases of multiple similar Devil Fruits. Think about the weapon of Mister 4 (Baroque Works). His rifle had 'eaten' the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Daschund, effectively turning it into a dog. Then later we saw Chaka (the bodyguard of Nefertari Cobra; the King of Alabasta), he ate the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Jackal. And finally we have Jyabura of the CP9 who ate the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Wolf. So it can very well be that both sisters ate a different type of Snake DF.

Oda has also stated the reason why there is always only one person at a time who can have a specific kind of DF-power: when you eat a DF, you get the powers with the very first bite of it. So both sisters can't possibly share the same DF-power. If you split a DF in two pieces, the first one who takes a bite of one piece of either side of the fruit, will get it's powers. Right after the first bite, the fruit turns useless, it just becomes an ordinary piece of fruit. ^^

I also believe that all the inhabitants of Amazon Lily don't about of the existence of the Devil Fruits. First of all we can see that in the fact that they now think that every man has the ability to strech his arms like Luffy does. They just don't know what DF are.
So when Boa got her power, she obviously made up some cool story about defeating the monster Medusa, and getting her nice stone-powers. 'Cause if ppl don't know about these DF's, the existence of such a curse sounds a pretty believable explanation, don't you think.

That only leaves us with the "back"-thing. Me too would very much like to know what is on it.
I can only speculate: what if it is the Tattoo of White Beard? (-> I think I heard this theory somewhere on this forum) What if she once was part of the WB-pirates? What would her women think about the fact that she once served under a man? Wouldn't that undermine her position as leader of her island?
It's only a wild theory, but it would also explain why she wouldn't want to fight with the WG and her fellow Shichibukai against White Beard's Crew! 'Cause it once were her friends...

lol, just let me know what you think about it! ^^;

Tomgoood01
October 12, 2008, 12:19 PM
Man nice review by the way but with all the grammar problems and sentence fragments you got in your review it really brings down the quality. In some cases that haft way through your review i have to quit reading because it too troublesome to read through your mistakes and horrible word phrasing. You should get someone to go trough a full editing of your review because you put a lot of effort with the pictures and all. It's a sad sight to see when your review is wasted just because of grammar mistakes. Even if it takes a little more time in the end it will be worth it. Plus you'll improve in school if you learn how to write proper reviews. Your getting at the age when you'll be writing essay and such. Good luck on your next review.

Mr.Popo
October 12, 2008, 01:02 PM
That only leaves us with the "back"-thing. Me too would very much like to know what is on it.
I can only speculate: what if it is the Tattoo of White Beard? (-> I think I heard this theory somewhere on this forum) What if she once was part of the WB-pirates? What would her women think about the fact that she once served under a man? Wouldn't that undermine her position as leader of her island?
It's only a wild theory, but it would also explain why she wouldn't want to fight with the WG and her fellow Shichibukai against White Beard's Crew! 'Cause it once were her friends...
WB's symbol won't be an explanation for her dislike to fight against him, because she does not care for her own people, so why should care for WB? She does not know what friendship means.

She "served" under the WG (Gorosai->men) officially to "protect" the island. She could tell the same about WB.

And i'm sure Luffy could instantly tell that it's WB's symbol, or at least the symbol on his brothers back. But he has only just the feeling that he knows it.

It must be something more shocking and unbelievable.
Something from the outside world, probably East Blue. Is there a symbol or mark in One Piece that represents weakness?

Goji
October 12, 2008, 01:17 PM
She does not know what friendship means.

She "served" under the WG (Gorosai->men) officially to "protect" the island. She could tell the same about WB.

And i'm sure Luffy could instantly tell that it's WB's symbol, or at least the symbol on his brothers back.

Something from the outside world, probably East Blue. Is there a symbol or mark in One Piece that represents weakness?

Yeah, you're right. It does seem unlikely she knows the true meaning of friends/nakama...
And yes, I totally forgot that she now also serves under some 'men' (-> the WG/Gorosei). So the argument about serving under WB doesn't quite fit either.

But what could it be? Maybe it's some kind of symbol that is being used for slaves? Maybe she was once bought by someone out of the auction, over at the Shabondy Archipello? >_>

Do you guys think it's a symbol we all have seen before? Or will it be something new, something we've never seen, or heard about before?

neomaster121
October 12, 2008, 03:00 PM
Yes, I also think they all have a DF-power. Boa obviously has some kind of paramecian stone-kind of power. And her two younger sisters both have a snake-type of Zoan DF-power.

We have seen other cases of multiple similar Devil Fruits. Think about the weapon of Mister 4 (Baroque Works). His rifle had 'eaten' the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Daschund, effectively turning it into a dog. Then later we saw Chaka (the bodyguard of Nefertari Cobra; the King of Alabasta), he ate the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Jackal. And finally we have Jyabura of the CP9 who ate the Inu Inu no Mi: Model Wolf. So it can very well be that both sisters ate a different type of Snake DF.

Oda has also stated the reason why there is always only one person at a time who can have a specific kind of DF-power: when you eat a DF, you get the powers with the very first bite of it. So both sisters can't possibly share the same DF-power. If you split a DF in two pieces, the first one who takes a bite of one piece of either side of the fruit, will get it's powers. Right after the first bite, the fruit turns useless, it just becomes an ordinary piece of fruit. ^^

I also believe that all the inhabitants of Amazon Lily don't about of the existence of the Devil Fruits. First of all we can see that in the fact that they now think that every man has the ability to strech his arms like Luffy does. They just don't know what DF are.
So when Boa got her power, she obviously made up some cool story about defeating the monster Medusa, and getting her nice stone-powers. 'Cause if ppl don't know about these DF's, the existence of such a curse sounds a pretty believable explanation, don't you think.

lol, just let me know what you think about it! ^^;

well i too agree that the islanders don't know about devil fruits, kinda like the begining of luffy's journey, no one new if df's were real... but at least these women have haki have haki.

well i can't believe its WB's symbol, it wouldn't take too long for luffy to realise its the same symbol as his brother's but i think it's something linked to luffys past, also i don't think it is something ugly, reason being that she would use him seeing it as an excuse as to why luffy's immune to her beauty, as she's not doing so well it must be a tatto of some sorts but not wb's imo

Man nice review by the way but with all the grammar problems and sentence fragments you got in your review it really brings down the quality. In some cases that haft way through your review i have to quit reading because it too troublesome to read through your mistakes and horrible word phrasing. You should get someone to go trough a full editing of your review because you put a lot of effort with the pictures and all. It's a sad sight to see when your review is wasted just because of grammar mistakes. Even if it takes a little more time in the end it will be worth it. Plus you'll improve in school if you learn how to write proper reviews. Your getting at the age when you'll be writing essay and such. Good luck on your next review.

i have to thank you for pointing this out to me
i'll make sure to keep a keen focus on my grammer
i'll have to admit its a on going problem i tend to have and i'll be going on to change that, but really i pin it down to me rushing a bit when typing thinking so much and then just typing it as i think it without really giving it proper structure.
But thanks i'll make sure to proof read my work properly next time

WB's symbol won't be an explanation for her dislike to fight against him, because she does not care for her own people, so why should care for WB? She does not know what friendship means.

And i'm sure Luffy could instantly tell that it's WB's symbol, or at least the symbol on his brothers back. But he has only just the feeling that he knows it.

Yea it couldn't be wb's symbol, even for luffy it wouldn't take too long to recognise
i think the best bet is something from luffy's childhood, but she being from the calm bet and being able to go from grandline to the 4 seas to the new world well it could be anything

Yeah, you're right. It does seem unlikely she knows the true meaning of friends/nakama...
And yes, I totally forgot that she now also serves under some 'men' (-> the WG/Gorosei). So the argument about serving under WB doesn't quite fit either.

But what could it be? Maybe it's some kind of symbol that is being used for slaves? Maybe she was once bought by someone out of the auction, over at the Shabondy Archipello? >_>

Do you guys think it's a symbol we all have seen before? Or will it be something new, something we've never seen, or heard about before?

Luffy recognising it really makes me think we've seen it before, Oda's just like that when it comes to these things
maybe it's a link to a past enemy

weixiaobao
October 12, 2008, 03:15 PM
neomaster- we haven't yet see the full extend personality of boa hancock, (warning: this is a total opinion thing so don't take this seriously). Boa Hancock is so use to people like her with the exception of luffy, so i bet in the end of this arc her path and luffy path will be closely relate. If she not joined luffy crew then she would chase him around like smoker or just being a creepy stalker..

neomaster121
October 18, 2008, 05:34 PM
neomaster- we haven't yet see the full extend personality of boa hancock, (warning: this is a total opinion thing so don't take this seriously). Boa Hancock is so use to people like her with the exception of luffy, so i bet in the end of this arc her path and luffy path will be closely relate. If she not joined luffy crew then she would chase him around like smoker or just being a creepy stalker..

sorry for the late reply
a lack of one piece this week well i just haven't been on the OP forum

well yea she could follow luffy around like smoker, her vanity wouldn't stand for luffy living as it would seem so far. But i just don't see luffy wanting her in his crew
in fact it could be why she chases him, as he won't accept her she feels rejection a feeling she's seemingly never felt before