PDA

View Full Version : Hangout MH Seinen Hangout

Pages : [1] 2 3

Miso
February 14, 2006, 05:37 PM
*hijacks thread* The seinen section got a little revamp last night, as you can see :p

Discussion threads that aren't aimed at a specific series have to go to the Otaku Cafe from now. The demographic boards will be focus on the one-thread-per-series-schema. But we're not that evil to chase our seinen fans completely off into the mixed-demographic discussion section - so here's the MH Seinen Hangout for the more commonly seinen talk!

Feel free to chat about "manly manga" in general and about those who don't fit the stereotypical description of seinen. Discuss seinen magazines, authors & artists, the scanlation scene and meet other seinen manga lovers and fans of mature manhwa (seongin) and manhua as well.

Have fun! :ossu

[hr][hr]
As this term might not be familiar with some of you here's a brief explanation:

Seinen manga are series that are aimed at male readers ages 18-30. While a variation on the Shonen style comics, Seinen series contain more graphic violence and adult situations. (Of course the audience also covers a fair amount of girls and women as well as middle-aged men who read Seinen manga.)
The female equivalent to seinen is Josei.

For further information go here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinen).

If you aren't sure if a manga you want to talk about is OK, feel free to ask about it in here.

*hijacks thread*
This thread serves as general recommendations thread for seinen manga and mature manhwa/manhua. Please ask here for suggestions. If you're interested into recommendations without the focus on seinen, visit the respective thread in the Otaku Cafe (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=675). Besides that, the shounen and shoujo&josei sections have specific recommendation threads as well.

Be aware, we merged plenty of small request and info threads in this one. Don't bother reading through the first pages, it's a mess :sweat

* No single suggestions Threads!
All Threads with a topic similar to "Please suggest me..." have been and will be merged into this topic without further note.

* Use this Thread!
Please use only this topic when you ask for suggestions, recommendations and what manga to read, or other general seinen talk.

* How to post here!
Just post what you want, e.g. "I search for a romance manga with a shy male protagonist and violent female."

Thanks for reading and have fun! :bye

shoked
February 27, 2006, 08:30 PM
thanks for letting us know what is the real meaning since at first sight the first thing that came to my mind was ero-senin...lol (naruto)

okyatoks
March 26, 2006, 05:17 AM
thanks for letting us know what is the real meaning since at first sight the first thing that came to my mind was ero-senin...lol (naruto)

:Haha :Haha :Haha

That was funny!!! :p

pengganas
April 15, 2006, 12:14 AM
ohh right now i know what mean seinen
before i just know read manga :p

barbapapa
April 16, 2006, 11:19 AM
This forum seems to rely on shounen manga mainly, but once you get to a certain point when reading manga, you'll start to question wether there isnt anything more mature. And I thought we'd use this topic to talk about some awesome seinen!

Personally I'm not that much into violent seinen, when I read something mature I prefer reading something psychological or slice-of life.

Say hello to Black Jack
Probably the one that opened my eyes for seinen, starts off pretty slow but gets very intense after a few volumes. Too bad the scanlations stopped, but for the few lucky ones that know french, dutch or japanese; stick with it and you wont regret it!
About a young man who starts his career as a doctor but quickly finds out about the "dark side" of the medical world.
This manga had such an impact in Japan that they even changed laws! :blink
The artwork is very good too, and that's always a plus! I think you can get the first volume on www.toriyamaworld.com

Monster, 20th Century Boys & Pluto
By grandmaster Urasawa, probably the best writer in seinen manga ever. Thrillers like you'll never see another in manga. Epic of proportion, dark & twisted underneath, plot-twists up the wazoo. Just stop reading this and go read them instead.

Mangascreener
You might think "Huh, is that even a manga?".
No, it is not. But it is without a doubt the BEST seinen scanlation group there exists. High quality releases of the best you can find in its genre. They did Monster & 20th Century Boys too fyi.
Just check out anything there and you're bound to find something to your liking if you're searching for intelligent manga.
Personal favorites: Ryuguden, Homunculus, Mushishi, Ciguatera, Vinland Saga
the url: www.mangascreener.com

Especially Homunculus is one of the most twisted rides ever. It's by the guy that did the manga of Ichi the Killer (which the movie was loosely based on, but the manga is so much better and even more insane).
What really caught my attention about this before I started reading it was the story, allow me to quote:

Homunculus tells the story of a middle aged man, who spends his days living in a car, smack inbetween a park infested with homeless people and a large, upper-class hotel complex. He has nothing, yet he is always classily dressed and looks well taken care of, despite the fact he sleeps in his car. Once a day, he always takes the car out for a ride, no matter what the weather. One day, an oddly dressed young man approaches him, and asks him if he would like to participate in a little experiment... Involving having a hole drilled in his skull. He promptly refuses; he has no need for money anyway. The next day, however, his car runs out of gas and gets towed. Desperate for money to get his car back, he approaches the young man and accepts to have the hole drilled in his skull. ''A safe procedure.'', he is assured. But then, of course, that's when the side effects kick in...
The madness really kicks in at volume 2.

Zetman
This is probably the only exception as far as violent manga go in seinen. But I'm just a mad fan of Masakazu Katsura's artwork.
The same reason I loved I''s so much, despite I'm not that big on ecchi.
It's like a superhero comic, but manga-fied. It starts off slow, but there's enough to hold your attention till the later volumes.

and last, but definitely not least (I'd even say best)
is Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
The most relaxing, mind-massaging manga you'll ever read. It's basically about a female robot called Alpha who tends to a little café in a post-apocalyptic Yokohama.
Don't expect any sci-fi action, these are all just slice-of-life stories that totally make you chill out. Very beautifull artwork, especially the environments.
some links:
http://www.cafealpha.org/
http://ykk.misago.org/
http://souhaku.ufpag.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=22

Phonox
April 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
Kiseijuu and Homunculus is most certainly my favorite onces. The reason, both plays with the mind and makes you really think.. or that's what I think anyway.
Oh and if one want's BT version of the co-op projects @ mangascreener the place to look is at The Hawks (http://www.thehawks.org/hawks/bt) who have done many of them.

Gold Knight
April 21, 2006, 12:37 AM
Didn't know Zetman was seinen ( I recently read the first chapter a while ago ). But my favorite Seinen manga would be Blade of the Immortal - although it's very close between BotI, Berserk, and Vagabond. It just depends on which artistic style I'm most more interested into at the moment. I haven't read anything outside of warrior seinen manga yet, though.

NinjaMunki
April 27, 2006, 12:11 PM
i gots to go with Elfen Lied, Hellsing, and Gantz.

EL- cute little girl kills so awesomely, but has a much sweeter split personality.
Hellsing - vampire/vamp-hunter/nazi free-for-all war (with the Big D himself, of course).
Gantz- taking names, kickin *ss. repeat steps 1 and 2.

then again, a 18.6 gb hd doesn't allow for many whole series, what with naruto, bleach, op, kenshin, sk, flcl and a bunch of other non-seinen series.i don't have enough space for another series. i need a new computer so badly :darn

SchmoDawg
April 29, 2006, 03:33 PM
I'd say my favorite Seinen mangas to read would have to be:

I'll give descriptions after I finish reading the manga in whole or all that has been released

Battle Royale - Hands down one of the best mangas I've ever read. The story of what could have happened had Japan won World War II. Japan as a facist police state implements a tv show called the program, where one 9th grade class each year is sent to a evacuated location and forced to kill each other in front of cameras until only one of them is left. The plot centers around the main protaganist Shuuya Nanohara, but the way they go into detail its almost as if everyone has a co-lead so to speak. It also has 2 of the coolest villains ever the sociopathic and overly sexual Mitsuko "hardcore" Souma and Kiriyama a wealthy genius who has the inability to feel emotions. You may have heard of this due to the controversial movie of the same name, but the movie doesn't do this work of art justice at all. So much more in depth and such better battles many of which are drawn out into more then 3 fights. Back stories for every student gives more of an explanation as to why they act they way they do given their situation. Very Violent and Graphic Sexual content in a few parts, the content is rather disturbing sometimes, not for the light of heart. If you have the stomach for it this is a must read!!!

Parasyte/Kiseijuu - I'll write a review for this but I'm only up to chapter 25

Gantz - The story of Kurono Kei a typical heterosexual japanese male, who meets a classmate from his childhood in a subway station one day and they witness a homeless drunk about to get hit by a train. They save the mans life at the cost of their own, only to realize they are not dead, but are now part of an militia (for lack of better words) who are all newly deceased and recieve missions from a black ball with a sleeping extraterrestrial in it, to kill certain aliens that normal people can not see. Later on you find out vampires come into the mix. As ridiculous as all that sounds its awesome and worth a read at least through the first alien hunt. Lots of violence and sex, so if big boobs and severed body parts offend you don't read it.

Berserk - Probably the most popular Seinen manga, follows the story of Guts, a mercenary with insanely inhuman strength. The first third of the manga is basically the same as the 26 episode anime, except a few main characters are left out in the anime. I'd say the manga is more Violent and deffinately has more sexual content. Basically its a midevil/supernatural manga that has a lot of different arcs to it (the story really changes as it goes on) This is one hell of a violent manga with a lot of rape, so if that isn't you cup of tea I'd advise you do read this.

anoat
July 07, 2006, 03:42 AM
He made many legendery things, like
20th Century Boys
Happy!
Jigoro!
Master Keaton
Master Keaton
Monster
Pineapple Army
Pluto
Yawara! A fashionable Judo Girl

I have only 20th CB, do you know guys where I can download the rest? :tem

Gold Knight
July 16, 2006, 09:24 PM
New Gantz Board! (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?board=173.0)

We finally created it thanks to the contributions of Jinchuuriki and HisshouBurakien.

EDIT: And Illuminati-Manga. XD

Have fun there discussing and helping fans get their Gantz chapters.

La_Muerte
July 16, 2006, 09:39 PM
yay

Shaka
July 16, 2006, 09:44 PM
awesome ;)

Matonly1T
July 16, 2006, 10:14 PM
you rock :D lol its about time. Gantz is awesome

GGpX
July 16, 2006, 11:13 PM
Ah, no mention of I-M?

._.

Well, if you prefer LQ releases, don't mention us ;/

But, anyhow, thanks for the Gantz board. I'll give you guys a heads up when we put out our releases that aren't mis-labeled & don't have horribly colored extras.

NeoShweaty
July 16, 2006, 11:23 PM
ggpx, you're always so nice.

GGpX
July 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
Why thank you o;

I'm a complete gentleman and have alot of tact.

hirumafan
July 17, 2006, 12:56 AM
Thank you...thank you....thank you:

Gantz is my second favourite manga after Eyeshield21

Sharma
July 17, 2006, 12:36 PM
Brilliant! Thanks GK!

GantZ is a fantastic manga, glad I picked up reading it recently :D

karasu
July 18, 2006, 06:41 AM
irc, of course... www.gotlurk.net
i read monster, it was awesome..i finished the whole series in one night...damn it was good..
master keaton was old, i read it when i was 7 or 8 and i can't understand it :(
now, i'm kinda hoping i still have the manga...

FHT
July 18, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thanx GK!!!!

GANTZ is one of the best mangas I've read! XD

Gold Knight
July 22, 2006, 08:19 PM
Ah, no mention of I-M?

._.

Well, if you prefer LQ releases, don't mention us ;/

But, anyhow, thanks for the Gantz board. I'll give you guys a heads up when we put out our releases that aren't mis-labeled & don't have horribly colored extras.

Sorry about that, I didn't know you guys were working on it. I haven't really read any further than the first volume of Gantz, actually. XD And the guys at Jinchuuriki have been the ones who've really pushed for a new Gantz section in their PMs to me.

But thanks for your work, as well!

TheGreenFlash
July 27, 2006, 05:09 AM
My favorite's are....Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge

Air Gear- Iunno its just cool all around i guess
Tenjou Tenge- Cool fights (Saw the anime dont know if there was a manga)

barbapapa
July 27, 2006, 06:02 AM
Those series are hardly what you call seinen. Maybe TenTen to some extent, but definitely not Air Gear.

siegfried
July 28, 2006, 08:21 AM
Didnt anybody read Shamo?

it was good until the latest chapters.but mangaka is out of good ideas now I guess.if you read it you will be shocked at the latest chapters.

NeoShweaty
August 04, 2006, 09:54 AM
My favorite seinen is a toss up between Vagabond and Berserk. (although admittedly, i dont read THAT much seinen though i am reading more) Berserk is a crazy action filled gore fest with deep deep underlying themes that i am just too lazy to figure out. Vagabond has the best artwork on any manga, by far (of course it is my opinion but *shrugs*) and that kind of eye candy is backed up by one hell of s story. I guess i would lean towards Vagabond because i am a huge Takehiko Inoue fan (slam dunk being one of the greats in sports manga and one of my favorite manga ever and real developing as a much more than sports kind of manga).

GGpX
August 16, 2006, 05:25 PM
I guess that's logical seeing as how their forums are basically dead.

Thanks regardless~

goes off to find a Gantz Manual translator...

Jammin
August 21, 2006, 08:58 PM
Of the ones I've read Gantz takes first prize. I'm not a big fan of how it started, with the main character being such a dick, but the last 3/4 of it were just amazingly good. Gantz has a riveting story, deep characters, is well drawn, and well written.

Luckas
August 22, 2006, 06:02 AM
Isn't Gantz a shounen?

Jammin
August 22, 2006, 08:41 AM
No it's definatly a seinen, it also isn't for the faint of heart. It has slightly less gore than berserk, but the gore is more realistic theirfore more disturbing. Their's also more than a little sex in it too.

dedal_x
August 29, 2006, 03:50 AM
Hey guys, where to get other volumes of "Say Hello to Black Jack"?

barbapapa
August 29, 2006, 11:52 AM
Hey guys, where to get other volumes of "Say Hello to Black Jack"?

They're not available on scanlations.
You can buy it in either Dutch or French. If you understand those languages.

Sorata
September 09, 2006, 03:59 AM
Could you please recomend some good Seinen Action Manga, i have already read Berserk, Gantz, Vagabond, Tenjou Tenge, Zetman and Battle Royal. My favorites are Berserk and Gantz. I already have Blame! and Hellsing, but i dont read yet, so i dunno if they are good.
Could you please recomend me some, but i doubt there is something good as Berserk or Gantz.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 04:31 AM
Blame is awesome. You could try Ruroni Kenshin.

zindryr
September 09, 2006, 04:33 AM
Kenshin is shounen. Period.

siegfried
September 09, 2006, 04:36 AM
read Shamo.You can be sure it is seinen and action.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 04:51 AM
Kenshin is shounen. Period.
He mentioned Gantz and Tenjou Tenge as seinen, and Kenshin is more mature than Naruto or Bleach.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 04:54 AM
Sorry about that, I didn't know you guys were working on it. I haven't really read any further than the first volume of Gantz, actually. XD And the guys at Jinchuuriki have been the ones who've really pushed for a new Gantz section in their PMs to me.

But thanks for your work, as well!
You should keep reading Gantz if you have time, it's very good.

Sorata
September 09, 2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the opinions, i´m already downloading Shamo, let´s see if it´s good.
And Lucas, Tenjou Tenge and Gantz are without doubt Seinen, and i already read Kenshin, it´s a good manga with good plot but it´s a shonen, it´s more serious than Bleach and Naruto, but it steels count as Shonen.

siegfried
September 09, 2006, 05:15 AM
I only read the first volume but I consider Tenjou Tenge more like a hentai. XD

Shamo has a different style, it depends on your taste,but I liked it very much. it shows you the dark side of the life.Good people cant always win.

eni
September 09, 2006, 05:21 AM
If you like Vagabond try Blade of the Immortal. Also Bakafish just started an interessting looking Manga, take a look (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=7846.0).

And your list lacks 20th Century Boys, that is more psychological instead of action, but higly recommend.

You can also take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seinen ... and read the descriptions of the manga. I could recommend so much, but I'm not a big action fan :D

One Eyed Sharingan
September 09, 2006, 05:28 AM
Seinen mangas that are good in my opinion:
Mushishi - i love the plot....and those nice tales made up by yuki urushibara (author penname)
Jiraishin (http://darksideofheaven.com/review.php?id=17)
Yokohama Kaidashi kikou (someone has already mention it)

Morri
September 10, 2006, 02:47 PM
Blade of the Immortal (無限の住人) by Samura Hiroaki
I think this was the first seinen title I ever read. I got into it mainly on the recommendation of a friend and instantly fell in love with it's art style. The plot is very appealing. Even with it's dark storyline, Samura manages to slip a few bits of humor into it. All the characters are engaging from Makie, the female assassin to Shira, the woman-hating sociopath. Love them or hate them, they're all interesting. Rin manages to be a good female lead without being too annoying. And, as I mentioned before, the art style is breath-taking. It floats somewhere between being very realistic to almost traditionally mangaish. Given Samura's penchant show depicting brutal and graphic mutilations, I wasn't entirely surprised to hear that some of his work has appeared in eroguro magazines.
Links: Discussion (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1753.0) | Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Of_The_Immortal) | Dark Horse Manga (http://www.darkhorse.com/)

Lone Wolf & Cub (子連れ狼) by Koike Kazuo & Kojima Goseki
What appealed to me the most about this series was how, well "old school" and "traditional" it seemed. The art style is realistic and somewhat resembles ukiyo or ink paintings. Whereas the storyline seems like something from a Kurosawa samurai film. Even though each chapter is a new mission for Itto it's still interesting and I can't wait to see how everything turns out. Especially in the chapters in which Itto, a very honorable man, accepts a mission of questionable honor (one would expect him to turn down) and somehow manages to complete his mission, yet also strike back at his employers. The chapters that show a mission through Daigoro's eyes are also especially interesting.
Links: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub) | Dark Horse Manga (http://www.darkhorse.com/)

Samurai Executioner (首斬り朝) by Koike Kazuo & Kojima Goseki
I started reading this one because I had enjoyed Lone Wolf & Cub so much. To my surprise, I ended up liking this series more. I think it just comes down to the fact that I like Asaemon much more than I like Itto. Where LW&C is a samurai story, SE is more like "crime and punishment". Even though Asaemon is the main character, sometimes he only come in at the end of a story line. I like Asaemon's intelligence (a few times he helps the police solve crimes) and his conscience about what he does for a living. I especially liked the story where he finds that he executed an innocent man and so sets out to demonstrate to the police why they need to catch the real criminals, not except a scapegoat.
Links: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Executioner) | Dark Horse Manga (http://www.darkhorse.com/)

The Ravages of Time (火鳳燎原) by Chen Mou
This one I picked up on a whim. I admit, I had a hard time getting into this one. Unlike Japan, the most I knew about China was how to find it on a map, so a lot of things confused me. But by the time I finished the first volume I was hooked and started researching things on my own to better understand the series. There are two things I really enjoy about this series. One is that, even though I know what is going to happen (i.e. Lu Bu betrays and kills Dong Zhuo) because it happens historically, seeing how it comes to happen is exciting and full of surprises. The other thing is Bossman Chen's portrayals of certain characters. Zhang Fei is known as a formidable warrior, but also a hot-headed drunkard, but Chen turns him into a skilled artist who is very intelligent as well as a kick ass fighter - he's also believes in Liu Bei so much that he allow himself to be seen as a brash drunkard just to further his big brother's reputation. There is plenty of action, but most of the plot focuses on various schemes - nearly all the characters are frighteningly intelligent and sneaky.
Links: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ravages_of_time) | Scanlation (http://www.remnantwarriors.com)

I don't really read much seinen, but I did enjoy it when I do. Judging from my above list you can see that I really love historical accuracy in my manga (with exception of BotI uses a lot of modern-looking character designs) and intelligent plotlines. One of the things I love the best about the above series is the fans. It's nice to be able to talk about a series I like with intelligent fans who aren't prone to "ship" characters or get into pointless arguments about which character is better. I tend to distance myself from the fandoms of my favourite shounen series because of the lack of sense in it's fans.

kyubisharingan
September 11, 2006, 02:06 PM
OK now i know. I got kinda confused with Shounen, Shojo, and Seinen LOL

zombietoaster
October 14, 2006, 02:08 AM
Berserk: As stated above it isnt very linear and changes alot thoughout the story. the art is some of the best i have ever seen and while im not the kind of person who gets excited over the badass-ness of characters. guts really is badass :p

zombietoaster
October 15, 2006, 08:47 PM
Hellsing: Alucard=just sexyyy...*sigh*
Battles are pretty gory but cool

No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P

luca6066
October 16, 2006, 09:53 AM
No what you mean is "Gore = Cool" :P , sometimes if done right that is :P

yea just because a manga has some gore, it doesnt necessarily mean it is cool.

oh well gory scenes scare the hell out of me lol
Still I crave for Seinen, somewhat bloody ones,
I dont feel like reading Shonen mangas any longer, cept for good ones. ・・・なんて・・言ったりして・・

thorsama
October 16, 2006, 08:20 PM
A lot of the manga that have been mentioned are also personal favorites of mine, such as: Lone Wolf and Cub, Berserk, and Battle Royale (although I'm finding myself not liking it as much anymore...) for the same reasons that others have mentioned. So I'll talk about some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Priest by Myung Woo Hyung, cool characters and an even cooler story. The artwork is unique, dynamic, and fits so well with the story. It takes place in the american frontier and is about an undead priest who seeks vengence against a fallen angel and his disciples. It might sound corny at first but give the first volume a gander at your local bookstore and if you like seinen manga I'm sure you'll like this one.

Fist of the North Star by Tetsuo Hara and Buronson, since it was published by a Shounen magazine when it first came out I'm sure if some would count it as a Seinen manga... but I the action is so freaking awesome that I became a fan. The story isn't the best but it works alot better at pitting super powered fighters against each other (unlike DBZ).

Deus Vitae by Takuya Fujima, it has a fairly interesting story but what got me on the series is the incredible artwork. It's about a war between advanced android beings and humanity. The action is pretty decent but the art style is just sweet...

And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.

zombietoaster
October 18, 2006, 05:01 AM
luca_torkjør : well what you said made it sound like you think gore is a definate minus.

thorsama : I agree with you about priest. but for people who want to try it out. read atleast three volumes before making up your mind. the first two are very heavy on action, while the third is much more story. (it swings alot between those two in this series, wich i think is good.)

eni
October 18, 2006, 06:40 AM
Blade of the Immortal
20th Century Boys
3x3Eyes
Monster
Akira
Mushishi
Elfen Lied
Oh My Goddess
Chobits
Vagabond
Kozure Okami
Gantz
... should be the ones I like really much. Nothing much to say why, I just like them.

*think* I know I have forgot something important on my list *think*

kyubisharingan
October 18, 2006, 02:04 PM
Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com

NeoShweaty
October 18, 2006, 03:00 PM
And of course... Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue, I know it's been mentioned but I put this one last because this is the definitive manga for me. The art is incredible, the story is deep, the character developement is deep, there are so many things I can say about this manga. Vagabond is the highest peak for me in terms of where I want to take my own comic artwork. In terms of plot, character development, and definitely in technique and storytelling. I've read the book that Vagabond is based on and Vagabond does more than justice for the 900+ page epic. And Takehiko Inoue is the epitome of what I want to be as an artist. And it's a damn shame that Vagabond isn't as big in the States as it is in Japan. And are there ever gonna be plans to make Vagabond into an OAV series? Because I think I'd shit in my pants if they did.

T_T no truer words have been spoken.

Anyway, i dont think vagabond would transition that well into an ova. I mean the pace doesnt suit animation, most of the time. Talk about it in the vagabond section anyway, that is what it is for... Maybe i should ask about it.

White Rabbit
October 30, 2006, 03:16 AM
Berserk
20th Century Boys
Vagabond
Planetes
Lone Wolf & Cub
Eden
Lady Snowblood
Blade of the Immortal
Samurai Executioner
Kiseijuu
Barefoot Gen
Adolf
Humunculus
Akira

eni
November 01, 2006, 05:56 PM
Futari ecchi cuz its echhi XD. BUT its educational beleive it or not. Yall should read it., DL at stoptazmo.com

oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one :XD

Exploded Magic
November 10, 2006, 02:25 PM
Shamo- Just started it, a story about a 16 year old boy...blah blah, klls his parents goes to jail gets raped, learns selfdefence.
Berserk-Tons of blood+Sex
Gantz- Kei Kurono wins the story had great artistic categories.
Vagabond- About a young man destined to become the best samurai

blasta
November 19, 2006, 12:07 AM
20th Century Boys , Berserk, Gantz, and Vagabond are my favs right now. I just love all of them they are just very addicting and I'm sure all of them will be classics for sure if they aren't already.

kyubisharingan
November 27, 2006, 08:02 PM
oh, haha ... yes, I forgot this one :XD

u read it too? AWSOME!!

Camena
December 02, 2006, 05:45 PM
wait...so does that mean Battle Angel Alita would be seinen??? I don't really know what to classify that one

Zepheris
December 06, 2006, 03:48 AM
it certainly fits the bill especially given how violent it sometimes get in Alita.

Lungs
December 08, 2006, 04:14 AM
Hello everyone! I have been looking avidly for a community which celebrates Seinen manga. It is perhaps my favourite type of manga, next to One Shots.

Kaiji Kawaguchi has been receiving a lot of attention from me recently. While his style is mild, he is a fantastic story teller that can really wind you up. His firm grip on reality, I find, has the reader respecting not only the characters but their situations, as well. In Araragi Express, the protagonist is both noble and earnest, a perfect role model for the male audience. As I was reading it, I was constantly saying; "what the fuck" and laughing. It was that good.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Taiyo Matsumoto's Black and White series, which was heavily stylised and focused a lot more on themes instead of the story.

I also like a lot which have already been mentioned; Bokko, Vagabond, Berserk, YKK, Gantz.

From this thread, though, I would be very interested in Monster, 20th Century Boys, Mushishi, Priest, and The Ravages of Time!
They sound bloody good. Oh, I can't really remember this series, as I read it many years ago - but it was the first Seinen I read (not including Berserk or Blade of the Immortal!) called Sanctuary. I'd love to read it again.

eni
December 08, 2006, 05:43 AM
u read it too? AWSOME!!

Yeah, it's hilarous and very educational .... even for a parent like me xD

Absolutio
December 13, 2006, 03:29 PM
Berserk.. coz its the only seinen i read meanwhile :P

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
December 16, 2006, 04:39 PM
My favourite Seinen manga
1. Master Keaton. Imagine McGyver with special military force training and no bad hair.
2. Vagabond. Adapted from Musashi Miyamoto's life. Plus, my friend is doing the translation for the publication here.
3. 20th Century Boy. When childhood dreams taken too far, 20th Century Boys happens.
4. AKIRA. That Kaneda guy always escapes falling debris... and his bike rocks!
5. Monster. Odd jobs for a doctor. Besides, that friend of mine also does the translation for this one.
6. Say Hello to Black Jack. Yes, my friend did this one too. But i love doctor stories and the internal turmoil stuff is just great.
And the list goes on forever....

venicia777
December 17, 2006, 01:20 AM
There are many more i like but

My favourites Seinen manga are:
1. Berserk-- guts is just super!!!
2. Gantz-- twisted but good.
3. Monster-- what more craziness can you give a doctor
4. Sunabozu-- what a pimp of a kid!!!

Gold Knight
December 17, 2006, 09:29 AM
I finally read Monster and 20th Century Boys and have to say, I would earnestly recommend both to anybody any time of the year.

Although I fail to understand why they would be considered "seinen" though. There wasn't much gore or sex in them at all. Sure, they're sophisicated stories but that's about it.

I've also finally gotten into Gantz. LoL @ Luckas for thinking it was shounen :D It definitely isn't. But anyway, a lot of nudity and gore, that's for sure.

Siedhr
December 17, 2006, 01:35 PM
Although I fail to understand why they would be considered "seinen" though. There wasn't much gore or sex in them at all.
Seinen isn't necessarily about gore and sex tsk, tsk.

Anyhow, some of my favorites in no particular order:
- Vagabond - Need I say why? Astonishing artwork and good story.
- Shin Angyo Onshi - I read a review once that compared this one to Berserk and SAO came on top. Because while it's quite gory, it isn't pointlessly gory. It has only two rapes so far, but they are both heart-wrenching and meaningful. Has a main male character that could easily kick Gutts' ass if only for the simple fact that he doesn't pity himself.
- Chunchu - I'm utterly obsessed with this one at the moment. Another of the tortured hero category. Again, good plot and kickass art. These Koreans know how to draw.

Will add more when I have time.

barbapapa
December 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
Yeah... people that think seinen is about gore and sex are gravely mistaken.
Most of my favorite seinen doesnt have either of those.

Kira666
December 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
Well, my favortite Seinen are:

20th Century Boys
Jiraishin
Shamo
Monster
Leviathan (very bizarre, appears Saddam and Bush lol)
MPD Psycho
Gantz
Vagabond
Homunculus
Team Medical Dragon

Seinen is my favorite genre!

Gold Knight
December 25, 2006, 10:31 AM
Seinen isn't necessarily about gore and sex tsk, tsk.

Yeah... people that think seinen is about gore and sex are gravely mistaken.
Most of my favorite seinen doesnt have either of those.

That was how I got introduced to Seinen though ;) But yeah, I get what you guys are saying now. It's just stuff aimed at older people.

kyubisharingan
December 25, 2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it's hilarous and very educational .... even for a parent like me xD

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! HAHA, it is educational. though, if ppl were to read it for the first time they might think otherwise XD

LoktarOgar
January 14, 2007, 11:57 AM
Sanctuary, by Buronson and some other artist.
Pluto Monster, by Urasawa, obviously
Blade of the Immortal,
Anything by Tsutomu Nihei.

godsoul
January 15, 2007, 01:12 AM
Vagabond <=== great... err... can't even described... :D

Battle Royale <=== this manga will make your head spinning... how can be people so stupid. but think again, the story can happen in reality. im sure of that, this manga isn't only about the author's imagination, it's came with human psichology.

Monster <=== i can feel the thrill. it's scary.

emceeTHEORY
January 16, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm a sucker for period sagas with tons of action. That includes BotI, Vagabond and Shin Angyo Onshi.

Battle Royale was also quite entertaining.

blazingsora
January 18, 2007, 01:00 AM
yea futari eechi too XD but they only have 49 scanlated chapters =(

kiddo7
January 20, 2007, 04:51 PM
THe only two manga that I know are seinen and I have read are Until death do us part, and Gunslinger girl. Both of which have blown me away.
GSG was my "first love" but It was the anime i really go into and I still think the manga does not entirely measure up to it, which is rare. Until death do us part is another awesome series that I am plugging for in my sig. I would recomend it to anyone, although it gets a little slow sometimes and you are not garantied a new chapter each week.

Fugitive
January 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
Monster - Basically because it's different. There are no super powers or hi-tech sci-fi. The characters, story, and art are excellent. Monster is one of my favorite mangas period.

Berserk - Got this on bootleg VHS in the late 1990s. Oh My God... So now I had to find and read the manga. Art and story are great, but the characters... faery, boy, witch-girl... what the hell..? But don't get me wrong, still a great read!

Vagabond - Excellent art, story, and characters. It's the fictionalized account of one of Japan's greatest samurais. How could it be bad?

and...

Blade of the Immortal (無限の住人) by Samura Hiroaki
I think this was the first seinen title I ever read. I got into it mainly on the recommendation of a friend and instantly fell in love with it's art style. The plot is very appealing. Even with it's dark storyline, Samura manages to slip a few bits of humor into it. All the characters are engaging from Makie, the female assassin to Shira, the woman-hating sociopath. Love them or hate them, they're all interesting. Rin manages to be a good female lead without being too annoying. And, as I mentioned before, the art style is breath-taking. It floats somewhere between being very realistic to almost traditionally mangaish. Given Samura's penchant show depicting brutal and graphic mutilations, I wasn't entirely surprised to hear that some of his work has appeared in eroguro magazines.
Links: Discussion (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=1753.0) | Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Of_The_Immortal) | Dark Horse Manga (http://www.darkhorse.com/)

Lone Wolf & Cub (子連れ狼) by Koike Kazuo & Kojima Goseki
What appealed to me the most about this series was how, well "old school" and "traditional" it seemed. The art style is realistic and somewhat resembles ukiyo or ink paintings. Whereas the storyline seems like something from a Kurosawa samurai film. Even though each chapter is a new mission for Itto it's still interesting and I can't wait to see how everything turns out. Especially in the chapters in which Itto, a very honorable man, accepts a mission of questionable honor (one would expect him to turn down) and somehow manages to complete his mission, yet also strike back at his employers. The chapters that show a mission through Daigoro's eyes are also especially interesting.
Links: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Wolf_and_Cub) | Dark Horse Manga (http://www.darkhorse.com/)

NeoShweaty
January 29, 2007, 01:19 PM
Trust me, this is related to manga.

I am trying to get my college to give me some money for research. I wanted to analyze some important theme/event in japanese history through one form of japanese pop culture. I thought cinema for a second but manga seems so much better and more varied in the japanese market. Anyone know any seinen manga that deal either specifically or loosely (as in metaphorical stuff and it could be fantasy) with some event in japanese history? since i am being vague, ill give an example. Akira, and trust me i have learned a fair bit about this movie (although i need to read the manga for the rest of the story) deals with world war II with its obvious image of the atomic bombing of hiroshima/nagasaki in the form of the bombing of tokyo 2, the police state that emerged during the war itself, etc. Some things that i have thought about doing specifically, what with stuff like barefoot gen and grave of the fireflies, is world war 2 and its aftermath as told by its own people. Any thoughts or suggestions? also, please keep in mind that i have to do this project legally so only titles which can be obtained in the states

manu
January 29, 2007, 01:29 PM
When you say Japanese history the first things that popped up in my mind was Vagabond. Not sure about the license on that manga though.

Though for Japanese pop culture try to see if the movie suicide club or Jisatsu Circle was ever brought in America. I checked mangaupdates and the manga was never brought over unfortunately but probably because they wouldn't get away with selling it. In Japan there is a alarming suicide rate, though I don't exactly know the root of that problem, it'd be interesting to see if the media has anything to do with it.

blazingsora
February 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
y wont they scanlate futari eechi its so kool XD

~Zindryr: This isn't the thread to be asking that question in.

There is a Futari Ecchi thread here: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=8791.0

Also, always check www.mangaupdates.com to see if things are being scanlated.

http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=111 <-- Page for Futari Ecchi[br]Posted on: February 08, 2007, 01:25:50 AM_________________________________________________o sry zindyr =(

shizoko
February 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
Enternal Sabbath.
It just caught me, One of my favs.

Zaloof
February 14, 2007, 09:03 AM
Berserk is the best seinen manga ever no doubt about it :amuse

also madbull is very good and one of my fav, i created a forum for it here

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/index.php?topic=14863.0

Rokudaime Hokage
February 14, 2007, 09:27 AM
I don't know too many Seinen Manga, but Berserk is soo f***ing great... its my absolute favorite (with One Piece).

1. The fights are just fist-class, the best action I've seen so far...
2. All the characters are well thought-out and have realistic personality and psyche
3. The setting is just awesome... a dark medieval fantasy world (not like the happy LotR hobbit cheesecake)
4. A captivating storyline...

The manga is thoroughly captivating... it just rules... but it suxx that its still not completed ... I hate to wait for new chapters...

dsr
February 15, 2007, 03:50 PM
BASTARD by Kazushi Hagiwara
This is a really cool manga
You can find just everything here, from cyber-fantasy action to parody of mangas, quotings, religious discussion.
The story is really difficult to be followed but really exciting.
AND EXCELLENT DRAWINGS!!!
This is one of the manga that changed the business, guys!

bakashijinsan
February 20, 2007, 07:22 AM
It has got to be 20th Century Boys for me.
Good Art, Cliffhanger Story, good twists and emotional at times. Realistic in some ways (though the sci fi aspect takes that away) and character build up is very very good. What you can certainly expect from Urusawa-sensei

ibra87
February 21, 2007, 05:44 PM
OF all those I can remember, Berserk.
The story is just so great and there is constantly a character development. Not to mention how the mangaka manages to sneak some humor in using Puck and the young boy.
Then of course there is the Griffith vs Gutts thing, that is like Sasuke vs Itachi, just a lot more well-thought (I think) and more interesting (seeing that Gutts has probably to face all of Griffith's minions in order to reach him first, unlike Sasuke who will probably let others do it and get the chance, but that's off-topc, heh). Also how Gutts is changing all the time, how he suddenly became a monster then became human again and is now trying to save Caska.

erikrhys
February 23, 2007, 02:57 PM
ok, senin is basically my favorite type of manga/anime so i have quite a few in no perticular order

1. ichi(lol) the killer: i dont even know where to start, its about a man, early 20's, who has an unsafe mind, and is strong as hell when needed. But on the outide he comes off as a stupid innocent "pussy" who is too afraid to throw a punch. also filled with self mutilators, drug users, torture, all that "good stuff....definately woth checking out.....
2. Believers: 3 people on an island who are out of their minds....not crazy, just out of it. There is a fair amount of sex towards the end, but its not hentai. And the ending to this manga is one of the best ive ever read.
3. Gantz: if you dont know about this manga, but you claim to like seinin, you are missing out. Two people die and are sent to a room with others who remember dying. in the middle of the room is a black orb, which turns out to be alive. The "ball" says that their fates are now in its "hands". what happens next? go find out!
4. Island: a young girl goes to an island to do teaching. When she arrives at the island, she is atacked by a demon, but is saved by a powerful lad, who offers to protect her for money. Good read, violence, morals, and good art.
5. Berserk.......need i say more?
6. elfen lied: a couple is on a beach and find a girl wased up on shore. Upon closer looking, she is alive, and has HORNS on her head. She is a new race which is supposted to replace humanity. but she has no memory, to an extent......funny at times and moderate ammount of violence.

ill do more later when i have the time.....

moscovite999
February 24, 2007, 06:33 PM
The Seinen I prefer: BAKI for sure!
Not the first season grappler baki but specially the secon season (baki) and baki son of ogre.
It's really amazing.
It's fights but with men with incredible capacities

woof
February 25, 2007, 05:23 PM
nr.1 Gantz - its just so twisted i had a nightmare the day i read half of all chapters :D

futari ecchi is funny too ... I think there are already 32 volumes out in my country( Austria ^^) but it's too embarrissing to buy it in a store :D

Dural
March 02, 2007, 01:56 AM
Got a question.

Anyone here know a good site in English where I could order some seinan anthologies? Specifically Young Animal, 12/26/2006 and the just released Ya Arasi(Young Animal Monthly?) for March.

There is KinoKuniya where I live and I hear they can order back issues, but just wanted to know of other outlets some of the people here might know about.

Would I be getting even weirder looks for asking them to order me Ya Arasi, seeing as how it's probably a female who is gonna do the ordering.

Thanks in advance.

fallfromgrace
March 07, 2007, 04:54 AM
dogs bullets and carnage (scanned by MangaTranslation)
kurozuka (Izumo No Ryuu)
agharta (Manga-Sketchbook)
togari (Blackout (although no site so Manga Traders or Evil Empire would be your best bet))
blue heaven (Omanga, Hawks & SnoopyCool)

like em or not i figured i'd throw them out for some who might appreciate.

Siedhr says: I've merged your topic with this one since it basically covers the same subject.

ginousuke
March 12, 2007, 03:29 AM
It's 20th Century Boys for me. I love Urasawa Naoki's other works also, but this one is my most favorite.
It has so many characters. But each of them, even the supporting characters, impressed me.
Great twisted plot, it mixed your emotion, and it makes you think about all those years that you've been through since your childhood until now.

tonyodel
March 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
(Order of mentioning is not a ranking..all three are just great!)
1.Yeah, 20TH CENTURY BOYS is definitely one of my all time favorites! The plot is awesome, and the story telling with the up to three (I think) different time lines at the same time is just masterful. In the course of the story the big picture get to be seen better until a new plot twist comes up and puts everything into a new light. AWESOME!!
2. AKIRA, got me into Manga, a classic and catches me every time I read it again.
3.BERSERK, because he has the BIGGEST SWORD EVER!! ^_^

Angel2Demon
March 30, 2007, 03:48 PM
Is xxxHOLiC seinen? it doesnt seem so... >.> If! seinen is what I think it is....

Naru_kun
April 03, 2007, 02:19 PM
I'd have to say to read Vagabond. It's amazing manga about a guy searching for power. (He's also one of Japan's most famous Samurai in real life D:.) It's one of the best drawn manga I've read and pretty descriptive too <3.

You'd love itt.

fe10
April 03, 2007, 02:23 PM
I will check Vagabond, does it have an anime version ? (I don't know if all mangas have anime version, but like to see both)

It doesn't have to be a dark and violent like berkserk, just a good Seinen Manga. So far I'm reading berserk and fist of the north star.

kadodo
April 03, 2007, 02:35 PM
I never read Berserk before but I have to say that Gantz is definitely a good manga

Naru_kun
April 03, 2007, 02:56 PM
I will check Vagabond, does it have an anime version ? (I don't know if all mangas have anime version, but like to see both)

It doesn't have to be a dark and violent like berkserk, just a good Seinen Manga. So far I'm reading berserk and fist of the north star.

I haven't heard of an anime for it. Andd not all manga have anime versions, but am I ever desperate for a Vagabond anime D:

Vagabond is definitely gory and violent, but far from dark. I'd suggest starting from Volume one and work your way up to the current releases. I'll have to check First of the North Star.

PS. Elfen lied isn't a half bad manga either; but I'm not sure if it's seinen or not.

ibra87
April 03, 2007, 03:37 PM
If you ask for good seinen manga, here's my list (don't really read much, so no big list):

- Hellsing (It's awesome, just sometimes you have troubles seeing what's actually happening :p)

- Blade of the Immortal

- Vagabond

- Jackals (big swords, who doesn't like that)

- Chevalier (didn't read this one, but heard it was good)

Out of those I would suggest reading Hellsing and Blade of the Immortal the most (and Vagabond, but it's already been suggested). Then there is another manga xxxHolic that's great, but you won't be able to appreciate it without reading a shounen called Tsubasa Chronicles (which gets all good after a lot of chapters imo, at least if you're into seinen stuff).

Hitsugaya_333
April 03, 2007, 05:54 PM
Gantz is a very good series. It is extremely violent, but from reading the first volume of berserk, I know you won't mind this. It has a lot of plot twists and good fight scenes, and is one of the best series I've ever read.

fe10
April 03, 2007, 08:10 PM
I have a lot of free time, so I could read Gantz, vagabond without waiting for weekly released, that's kind of cool.. The bad is when I finish the released chapters and have to wait a week for another, just like with naruto, one piece, bleach and longer for berserk.

Hitsugaya_333
April 03, 2007, 08:19 PM
I have a lot of free time, so I could read Gantz, vagabond without waiting for weekly released, that's kind of cool.. The bad is when I finish the released chapters and have to wait a week for another, just like with naruto, one piece, bleach and longer for berserk.

Then you find another series. :)

amar_kun
April 19, 2007, 10:01 AM
i've read shamo and the lead character was pretty twisted... ichi the killer is as mad as him.. beserk is quite at the same level... gantz can be pretting gruesome too.. what else... blade of the immortal.. vagabond.. fist of the north star...

ran0001
April 22, 2007, 12:39 AM
I guess my favorite would really be Suzumiya Haruhi. Its the best in my opinion. Funny, Entertaining and Unique. And I really really love the Characters. I'm kinda wondering why there isn't a Haruhi Suzumiya discussion thread here.

Siedhr
April 27, 2007, 08:39 PM
I'm kinda wondering why there isn't a Haruhi Suzumiya discussion thread here.
Because it isn't seinen. There's a Suzumiya discussion thread in General manga, I think.

2ndKurono
May 04, 2007, 03:35 PM
mine is Gantz all the way , i was inspired by Kuronos action,and took him as my idol and hes age and interest were just like mines and he looks just like me and the anime was fire to.

alkarl
May 10, 2007, 11:17 AM
dorohedoro suffocating atmosphere and strange world.
tsutomu nihei's works intense and realistics worlds and lot of action.
shamo extreme perversity of the character.
blade of the immortal and berserk are also good.
gunm series and akira, cyber punk post apocalytic universes.
fist of the north star, fist of the blue sky. kenshiro family :)
maybe bastard for the obscenity of the character but not much.

cakefurnace
May 15, 2007, 01:59 PM
since nobody mentioned,
-national quiz <-still on top of my list
-no5
-japan tengu party

and offcourse:
-ryuguden
-boku to issho
-believers
-black&white

ah i forgot the why. because the art is original, the subject is original, the seinen is the best.
and there is no need for physical violence.

2ndKurono
May 17, 2007, 12:27 PM
Gantz is da best,Gantz>DBZ>Death Note>Naruto>Bleach>and evey anime in da whole white world.

XileDragon
May 20, 2007, 06:48 PM
I think Claymore should be considered a seinen manga, it's similar to berserk and all. And if it is, then Claymore is definitely the best out there, if you compare it to berserk or gantz at volume 12.

Why? Well, there's just something about it that draws you towards it. The author doesn't shy away from killing an important character, and the art is pretty cool (unique). The pace is great, it doesn't drag on forever like berserk, and the characters are really charming. You just gotta try it for a few volumes to know what I mean.

zindryr
May 20, 2007, 07:41 PM
I think Claymore should be considered a seinen manga,

Serialized in Monthly Shounen Jump. So, not a seinen. So unless it gets switched over to a seinen magazine later on in its lifetime, it's a shounen.

The Fourth
May 28, 2007, 11:24 PM
my favourite seinen mangas are:

Vagabond - fantastic art, great fights and story and its about THE sword saint, it cant be bad :)

Samurai Executioner, Lone Wolf & Cub - I love to read these, and also the glossaries at the end of the volumes. I've read the first volume of Path of the Assassin, but somehow I dont find that manga as entertaining as SE and Lone Wolf.

Pluto - a manga that made me cry,sigh, I have no excuse for it, Im a pussy :P Im surprised there is no thread for this one

Angjo Onshi - I love this one. The first manga that I've read in Hungarian. I got the first 2 volumes for X-mas from my girlfriend :3

20th century boys - well, this is my favourite manga ever. its simply the biggest, the best, better then the rest, better then the rest :P

I like Monster and Berserk too, but Im not really into them, yet

hmmm, thats all I guess

oh I almost forgot Akumetsu - a kid punishes bad guys and his head blows up, its fantastic

kashi_n
June 27, 2007, 07:58 AM
My current seinen favourite is DOGS, that manga is awesome, then goes GOKUSEN and Monster~

Ichigo69
June 29, 2007, 01:40 AM
A good example of Seinen Manga is Sakura Tsuushin or Sakura Diaries...

axel
June 29, 2007, 03:29 AM
BLAME!
its so dark and i love the architecture and the settings and the characters
so awesome

xi0
June 30, 2007, 08:42 PM
Claymore is not a seinen actually. It's shounen.

barbapapa
July 07, 2007, 05:34 PM
an update on my favorite seinen series:
- Believers, Arigatô, Asatte Dance - I simply love Naoki Yamamoto
- Homunculus, Koroshiya Ichi
- Ryuguden, Noramimi, Witches, Dorohedoro, Freesia, G Senjô Heaven's Door - Ikki is an awesome magazine.
- Vinland Saga, Planetes
- Yotsuba&! - well, it is sort of seinen, I guess
- Mushishi
- Eden
- Say hello to Black Jack
- Monster
- Himizu, Ciguatera, Boku to Issho - Furuya is a personal god of mine
- Piano no Mori, Hanada Shônen-shi
- Nijigahara Holograph
- Yokohama Kaidashi Kikô
- Ressentiment, Boys on the Run
- Baka & Gogh
- Kiichi!!, The World is Mine
- Me & the Devil Blues
- Super Cruel & Terrible Tales of Mangaka

Ominae
July 11, 2007, 06:42 PM
Jiraishin!!!!

hisiena
July 14, 2007, 08:22 AM
Is xxxHOLiC seinen? it doesnt seem so... >.> If! seinen is what I think it is....

i think xxxholic is just shonen
theres not much blood ... although im still in volume 7
but it has some deeper thoughts in there.. but still can be understand by 18- audience

bax
July 14, 2007, 08:46 AM
xxxHolic is a Seinen. One major indication of this because it is published in the Young Magazine, which is obviously a Seinen magazine.

Ichigo69
July 14, 2007, 06:57 PM
xxxHolic is a Seinen. One major indication of this because it is published in the Young Magazine, which is obviously a Seinen magazine.

Yeah, anything published in any magazine with Young in the title is most likely Seinen or Josei. Also, the raws don't have the the furigana above the Kanji. Furigana are the little hiranga or katakana characters that tell you how to pronounce the Kanji character.

moeman
July 17, 2007, 02:29 AM
Sekirei in Young Gangan. Excellent action with fan service. Wow big boobs!!!!!

twile
July 25, 2007, 01:26 PM
Right now my favorite seinen is Shin Angyo Onshi; the latest chapters are really interesting and the art is getting even better. Another favorite is Vagabond; has some of the best art ever and very detailed backgrounds.

Vato Loco!
July 25, 2007, 11:56 PM
My current favorites are Uncivilized Planet and Tropical Citron. Both done by Jiro Matsumoto, and both are amazing stories. He's quickly turned into one of my favorite mangaka and I can't wait to finish the Milk Crown trilogy so that I can pick up Freesia. Now if only I could find Wendy, and I'd be able to have all of his work. :D

Sheard
July 26, 2007, 02:41 AM
1. GANTZ - Probably the most "mature" manga that I've read so far... It definately has far more nudity, sex and gore than I normally see. It's been very shocking and disturbing at times, but I don't fail to love this series no matter what it does.

2. Akira - This one I would consider a classic must read. I would say that anyone who is into manga but hasn't read Akira (or even watched the anime version) is definately missing out.

3. Chobits - It's Clamp. I tend to like their stuff to the extent that the only time I've felt like this group failed me on a manga series was when X/1999 got discontinued. >.<

pep
August 02, 2007, 04:40 AM
Off the top of my head

20th Century Boys: I don´t think I need to explain a lot
Mushishi: such beautiful story and art...
Black & White: I read it a few years ago and I couldn´t believe it. It was my first step into "different" manga, I guess... but it´s not like it made the list just because of my nostalgia or anything. It´s a really crazy manga, unlike anything I ever read.
Hanaotoko: Well, I guess Matsumoto (the author of B&W) is getting old or something... you can see the same crazy things you saw in B&W (like elephants in the backround) and the story is certainly original, but it´s much cuter than B&W :)
Ryuguden: Excelent fantasy manga. A total surprise.

Asmodeus
August 02, 2007, 01:59 PM
Gantz is good, but a little too much of an action movie to be considered as good as some of the others.

Berserk is phenomenal. Guts is probably the most well-developed character in manga history (10 volumes of back story? Fuck). Despite all of the supernatural that takes place later, it, at heart is telling a very human story. Guts' quest to save Casca is one to repair his own soul, and at 18 years old it's been going on for a while.

Vagabond is another spectacular series. I'm not that far into it yet, but I can say it is the best drawn series I have ever seen. Period. No questions asked. The story, the retelling of the legend of Miyamoto Musashi is awesome on so many levels. Thumbs up from me.

My favorite out of all of these, though, is Battle Royale. Strange choice? I think not. Battle Royale may be deeply disturbed in some aspects (brutal, unrelenting violence, oversexed in some areas), but it's a story about ordinary people in an extraordinary situation, and about the more bestial side of the human psyche. It is also, for some of the cast involved, a story of redemption. Beautifully drawn, horrifically violent, and heart-wrenchingly sad at times, it is, by and far, my favorite seinen manga.

Beowulf
August 04, 2007, 03:25 AM
Current favourite is Liar game by Shinobu Kaitani. I'm a bit surprised that very few people in the english-reading manga world know of it (not even a english wiki entry). It's a psychological manga similar to Death Note but without the killing. Great story, art and lots of thinking, along with some interesting plot twists. Most of all, it doesn't have gratuitous violence or sex unlike most of the seinen stuff that is released nowadays.

Used to read Say Hello to Blackjack as well. It's an excellent manga but also a very depressing one, so i didn't really continue collecting it (stopped at vol.10).

maaru
August 31, 2007, 06:21 AM
Um, oh hey, first post because I finally got the courage. I've pretty much downloaded most of the manga that the amazing Band of the Hawks had done, and am a big fan of seinen, even though my collection goes through pretty much everything. Fave ones for Seinen are:

Berserk - Guts, gigantic sword, Casca, Griffith, gore, drama, extreme action, how could I say no?
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou - I didn't even know this was seinen until I read through this thread. It's so beautiful and relaxing.
Monster - beautiful plot, actually had me breaking out in a cold sweat while reading. Can't say the same for 20th century boys for now, since I'm not up-to-date.
Bokko - War, tactics. It's damn good.
MPD Psycho - I miss this manga, the art is wonderful, even though the plot spiraled to inconceivable convoluted crazy around volume 10, which was the last I read.
Leviathan - same as above. The art is amazingly different than the usual manga style somehow.
Homunculus - Loved the psychological stuff.
Alive - short and simple. Plus the style's great.
Skyhigh - same as above, and I like the mini-stories for every person's choice between heaven and vengeance. Something that Jigoku Shoujo can't hold a candle to.

I think there should be more that I like, but I can't remember for now.

Is Family Compo considered Seinen? The art and style makes me think so.

mitokomon
August 31, 2007, 08:26 AM
Blade of the Immortal, I love it's syle and story, but the latest chapters are ...not boring but not exciting as well.
Dogs; Guns, blades, mystery, hatred... ^^ I love it
Mushishi, has good stories
Skyhigh, same as well
King of the Thorns, I'm not sure if it's seinen -_-' but know that it has a thrilling story
XXXHolic, cause it's Clamp...
Chobits, cause it's Clamp...

FHT
September 02, 2007, 02:02 AM
I haven't watch or read lots of seinen, but, here are the ones that, in my opinion, are excellent and worth to see.

Battle Royale: Extremely violent and an amazing story. One of the best seinen I've ever read.
Gantz: The person that haven't heard of Gantz, is practically dead. The story is very original and mature in all ways. A Most-read. Note: The anime is great too, but the ending kinda sucks!
Elfen Lied: The only seinen I've seen that can mix violence with love, and make an excellent story. The manga art kinda makes it not so interesting, (in my opinion, that is), but when you grab it, you'll stay until you finish. The anime is, by far, one of the best I've seen.
Chobits: I really don't know if Chobits is a seinen, but since saw it earlier in this thread, it doesn't matter. The story is pretty nice... Original and entertaining ^_^, with lots of sexual innuendoes, but in the end, it's Clamp, and they have disappointed me lots of times, including this one. Why? The ending...
Hellsing: A classic! Now that they are doing the Ultimate OVAs, I'm more into it! The story is simple, but nicely told. Definately, a must-watch/read.

There are other seinen that I've seen too, but not worthy the time to tell....
Aaaand...... I'm done!
:Yondaime

shego
September 04, 2007, 01:45 PM
Genesis finally did the fifth chapter, but it looks like they still love IRC, can anyone here RapidShare it?

GantzerVSNightmare
September 13, 2007, 05:18 PM
Seinen Mangas :
π Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, Seinen 2003
Übel Blatt Action, Adventure, Ecchi, Fantasy... 2004
20th Century Boys Drama, Mystery, Seinen 1999
21st Century Boys Action, Mystery, Psychological, Se... 2006
2nd House Comedy, Seinen 2001
6:30, Afternoon, Sunday Seinen --
8 -Eight- Psychological, Seinen 2000
8 Man Infinity Action, Adventure, Sci-fi, Seinen 2004
888 Comedy, Mystery, Seinen 2003
A Spirit of the Sun Drama, Seinen 2002
Abara Action, Sci-fi, Seinen, Supernatura... 2005
Acony Fantasy, Seinen 2005
Addicted to Curry Comedy, Ecchi, Seinen 2001
Adidas Fever - Lust for Life Seinen, Sports 2002
Advance of Z ~The Flag of Titans~ Mecha, Seinen 2003
Advent Seinen 2003
AGAPE Drama, Mystery, Seinen 2004
Age School Life, Seinen, Sports 1985
Ah! My Goddess Comedy, Fantasy, Romance, Sein... 1988
Ai Doru Seinen 2005
Ai wa Kagerou Seinen 2005
Ai-Ren Mature, Romance, Sci-fi, Seinen, T... 1999
Aikido Hashimoto Dojo Martial Arts, Seinen 1999
Akagi Seinen, Sports 1991
Akaten Hero! Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Romance... 2002

Akatsuki no Musuko Action, Adventure, Seinen 1999
Akibashou Mature, Mystery, Seinen, Slice of L... 2005
Akira Action, Mature, Sci-fi, Seinen 1982
Akumetsu Action, Adult, Seinen 2002
Alibiya Kagyou Fake Seinen 2004
Alien Nine Sci-fi, Seinen 1998
Alive! Horror, Psychological, Seinen, Sup... --
Always Together Drama, School Life, Seinen --
Amigo X Amiga Ecchi, Seinen, Sports 2006
Amon Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Seine... 2000
Angel (KURODA Iou) Seinen --
Angel Hard Seinen 1995
Anime ga Oshigoto! Seinen 2003
Anjuu no Chi Seinen 2000
Aqua Planet Chronicle Around Seinen, Slice of Life 2007
Aqua Planet Chronicles Seinen 2005
Aqua Planet Chronicles After Seinen 2006
Arakawa Under the Bridge Comedy, Seinen 2004
Araragi Express Seinen --
Arigatou Adult, Drama, Mature, Seinen 1994
Arm of Kannon Fantasy, Horror, Mature, Sci-fi, Se... 1998
Aruku Hito Seinen, Slice of Life 1992
Asagiri no Miko Seinen 2000
Asatte Dance Comedy, Drama, Mature, Romanc... 1989

My Favorites :
Gantz , Shamo , Berserk ,Death Note , Chunchu , Dangu , Akumes=tsu , Battle Royale , King Of Thorns ,

killridemedly
September 16, 2007, 01:16 AM
I'm a sucker for art, so any seinen with uniquely talented art is a winner in my book.

Vagabond
Me and the Devil Blues
Shamo
Blade of the Immortal
BLAME!
SIDOOH
Ravages of Time
Sanctuary
Crying Freeman

GantzerVSNightmare
September 17, 2007, 05:54 AM
I'm a sucker for art, so any seinen with uniquely talented art is a winner in my book.

Vagabond
Me and the Devil Blues
Shamo
Blade of the Immortal
BLAME!
SIDOOH
Ravages of Time
Sanctuary
Crying Freeman

the one that i Really really really like in your selection is Shamo !!!! Such a great manga !

which part did you reach ??

Kane
October 14, 2007, 03:06 PM
Hey dudes,
i watched GANTZ Anime, because of ending I started reading the Manga.
First I could read GANTZ from Chapter 01 till 257. Then needed to wait a few days and now read to 259.
While I am waiting for more, I thought i could read/watch a second Manga/Anime.

So, I thought it should or could be violant/gore/horror, a bit Sci-Fi, maybe a bit ecchi and with action.
Well maybe "Battle Royal" could be okay, but saw there is a real movie out and then just watched that.
Maybe should read/watch Berserk (sounds very famous and good?) or Bastard? But thats Fantasy...

So what should I read?
(Name; Souce, where to DL; Genre and anything else that could be immportant)
Thanx for any help^^

tradedaemon
October 14, 2007, 07:58 PM
Kurozuka, Akumetsu Http://www.iryuu.net

Goth, Shigurui http://kotonoha.monkey-pirate.com/

Vato Loco!
October 14, 2007, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you're describing Freesia. It's all you want and more. Violence, horror, gore, psychological, sci-fi-esque, and some mature ecchi content. One of the best series ever written.

aminas
October 16, 2007, 10:59 AM
Blade of the immortal, it's a kick ass manga

Kane
October 17, 2007, 01:19 PM
Thanx to all of you.
First i will try Freesia, Akumetsu & Kurozuka.
If i like it i will read them to the end, if i don't like them or if i have read it to end i may start reading Berserker or anything else (e.g. Goth or Blade of the immortal or something else).

But you still can/should/may tell me of more good Seinen Mangas^^

shego
October 17, 2007, 10:40 PM
THE WORLD IS MINE (http://www.kefi.org/twim.php)‼

angsana
October 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
my fave would be MONSTER by Urasawa Naoki. great stuff!! after Master Keaton publication discontinued several years ago for an unknown reason, Monster publication was a relief.

my current seinen titles are:
- Say Hello to Black Jack
- 20th Century Boys
- Shin Angyo Onshi
- Master of The Sea ( a story about salvage master)
- Maison Ikkoku
- Chobits
- Pluto
- YuGo the negotiator
- Planetes

angsana
October 21, 2007, 03:54 PM
try MPD, i think omanga or stoptazmo still has it.

GantzerVSNightmare
October 22, 2007, 09:01 AM
Monster , Great but the Story line is a little Slow or rather "Borring".

GantzerVSNightmare
October 22, 2007, 09:05 AM
Hmmm..... SHAMO , Vagabondare still my Favorite , try them ! yatta !!!!!

Dhomochevsky
October 22, 2007, 08:10 PM
Tenjou Tenge is a good series. It has a lot of what you're looking for. I believe stoptazmo has it.

Hellsing isn't too bad either. Bloody fights with vampires and nazis. I downloaded from a torrent but I don't remember which site.

angsana
October 23, 2007, 06:48 AM
hahaha

if you prefer action, obviously monster storyline would be sloooow.
its the theme Urasawa picked that caught me, gantzer-san. as for the way it was told, i'm not surprised cause it fit with Dr. Tenma nature.

do you know Rainbow? a manga by George Abe and Masasumi Kakizaki.
is it good?

craziii
November 07, 2007, 02:15 PM
is it just me, or are most serious seinen mangas all got superb drawings? I mean everything is just sooo much more detailed. a very good example will be the berserk series, details in every nook and cranny of a page. other would be vagabond or even the chinese series - the ravages of time. I mean wow, the drawing on those pages are just incomparably better than most mangas I have read over the last 8 years.

gdupninja
November 07, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah Seinen mangas are drawn real well. I love the art in Vegabond and Blade of the Immortal . There are alot more Seinen mangas that are full of detail. Shamo has a pretty cool style of art as well. Tenjho tenge definitly looks better now than it did at the beginning.

GGpX
November 08, 2007, 03:42 AM
@ craziii: It's just you. Air Gear, Death Note, Get Backers. Shounen mangas with great art.

There are plenty of Seinen series with shitty art.

ollson
November 08, 2007, 11:40 AM
I don't think that there's that big of a difference. I think that most of the people that read seinen appreciates fine art as well as a good storyline, while most of the people that read shounen doesn't really care about the art on the same level and reads it for an exciting story. Which makes it seem as though most seinen have great art; they're more appreciated by the readers and thus more popular.

shego
November 23, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ey gang, Del Rey's version is finally in stores.

morten
November 23, 2007, 08:37 PM
I liked Gantz, Berserk and that kiddo seinen stuff a lot in the past. But now I'am more into sophisticated stories like Kiseijuu, Eternal Sabbath, Historie, Monster and so on...and well Dorohedoro too^^

jackalan
December 13, 2007, 02:19 AM
I like Manhwa one, I like Priest.

It attracted me and I couldn't resist. And I did fall for it as fast as possible, yesterday I read through 11 volumes of it and I love it. I never thought Manhwa would be this good (in the basic plot) and not even mention the drawing is different from those manhwa I've read, it's kinda better and stronger.

I'm sure it's one of those best comic I've ever read. Masterpiece!

killridemedly
December 17, 2007, 09:19 PM
the one that i Really really really like in your selection is Shamo !!!! Such a great manga !

which part did you reach ??

I read the latest english-translated chapters as they become available, and I've read up to Volume 25 in RAWs. I love Shamo so much I now do QC for the English translation.

Harun
December 23, 2007, 08:52 AM
I quite enjoy seinen involving doctors, such as Iryu and Monster.
-I try to read realist-type series, as I don't care for complete fantasy.

ichimatsu
December 31, 2007, 07:14 AM
i love SHIGURUI , too cool

a samurai manga too gore, and show a lo of cruality, the techniques that the samurai do are realistic not fiction!!

ejib
January 12, 2008, 05:27 AM
piano no mori-manga about a genius in piano..feels like i can hear his palying.simple artwork but beatifully done
planetes-the unseen side of astronauts...
naoki urasawa's-definetely great works!
7 seeds-hmm,,i dont know wheter it's seinen or not.sad.i love sad stories..

shego
January 13, 2008, 12:42 AM
After finally reading NOiSE, I think The BLAME! Universe has officially become my fave seinen vehicle.

Dead Heads and Abara also rule, Tsutomu Nihei is the man.

XaeroX19
January 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
for who have a difficult time find this here are some great manga

Yasuhiro Nightow - Trigun complete - Trigun Maximum Complete (http://what.cd/details.php?id=142666&hit=1)

Naoki Urasawa - Pluto (http://what.cd/details.php?id=139773&hit=1)

Naoki Urasawa - 20th Century Boys(complete)+21st Century Boys (http://what.cd/details.php?id=135272&uploaded=1)
[hr]
check it

Franckie
January 22, 2008, 09:17 PM
Berserk. Although the Intro and Misty Valley were both meh, it was arcs like Golden Age that got me hooked on to the scenes. The story, the artwork, the characters, and how the mangaka weaves it all together makes Berserk my all-time favorite Seinen.

I can't adequately express how this particular series is a major favorite of mine.

Samih
February 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
ive only read one, if any. I thought that the Blue dragon manga was a seinen but im not sure. I wanna read something like that plot but with as much nudity or more than the first volume to keep my attention lol (that likely sounded pervy)

TheGenius
February 12, 2008, 01:06 AM
You should enjoy a great copy of Gantz, it's the perfect fan service manga, from beginning to the end!

Shadow8
February 13, 2008, 03:47 PM
Shigurui is a great manga with 9 volume for the moment and Berserk

TheGenius
February 14, 2008, 01:12 AM
What is Shigurui about?

anime02
February 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
what are you in to? If you want a good romance then toshiue is one of the top out there.

Shadow8
February 14, 2008, 11:36 AM
What is Shigurui about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigurui

He has a anime who stop at the episode 12.

TheGenius
February 14, 2008, 12:10 PM
That looks mighty interesting!

Kinda like Basilik, which is a great Seinen BTW!

Shadow8
February 14, 2008, 12:32 PM
That looks mighty interesting!

Kinda like Basilik, which is a great Seinen BTW!

I don't find that this is same, but I find that shigurui is the most violant manga, more than Berserk.

TheGenius
February 14, 2008, 01:47 PM
I'll sure read it!

It's just that feudal samuraï/ninja stories are a little alike. But thats me!

Also in the list of good Seinen, Blame!

gdupninja
February 14, 2008, 01:55 PM
Definity Gantz,Monster,blade of the Immortal, Dangu, 20th Century Boys

soomoo14
February 24, 2008, 05:57 AM
It was serialized in Young JUMP. This was back in.... 97 or 98..

I'm PRETTY sure that the artist was the guy who did HEN & GANTZ.. (but databases don't reveal anything about this short).. the artwork was unmistakeably his though, so I'm 99% sure..

Anyway, here's how the story went. The setting is in a high school. The two major characters are a withdrawn nerd (sorry, that's the only thing I can remember of him. that he was one of those archetypal "nerd" characters, so that's what I'll call him) and a stuck-up popular girl. A group of guys (and the nerd) somehow get the girl to meet them at the nerd's house. Then they attack her and rape her. The nerd hides her in his closet for a couple of days while feeding her. The girl seems to warm up to him, so he later takes her to an amusement park and crap. Finally, he lets the girl meet her parents. She runs to her parents and never looks back. Back in school, she says something to friends, and the nerd panicks and jumps out the window and kills himself. The girl just looks nonchalantly at the dead body's boy.

If anyone knows the title of this manga, please tell me. Thank you.

And if you have a link to scans, omg I would be forever grateful..
[hr]
pls ignore my previous post. i found what i was looking for.. lol after all these years.. geez louise..

anyway, it's called Black, a collection of short stories by Hiroya Oku.

loh1991
February 24, 2008, 09:18 AM
is it this (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=508) ?
if not you could search for it here (http://www.mangaupdates.com/authors.html?id=123)

TheGenius
March 04, 2008, 12:33 AM
Somebody should merge the suggestions threads....they're spreading like the virus in Blame! !

Fayte
March 09, 2008, 05:50 PM
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27117

Perfect.

TheGenius
March 09, 2008, 10:24 PM
Blame! ; Weird but strangely addictive.
Monster; Go read it, don't waste time.NOW!
Gantz; Completely addicted.
Homonculus; Deeply refreshing, not as gore as Ichi, wish they could do a movie, it would be great.(thanks to xi0 for this one)
Bio-Mega; Weird but little clearer than Blame!
Berserk; I feel obligated, people would be very mad if it's not in this list!
Priest; Wow...So good, I had to buy the series.

ryusuke_
March 15, 2008, 07:08 PM
Hard to decide... my favourite seinen would be 20th Century Boys or Planetes. Both are brilliant, though the plot of 20CB is deeper and more worked than Planetes' one. I specially like the development of the main characters (Kenji and Hachimaki, respectively) along the volumes.

I also loved both scenarios: a post-apocaliptic Japan where most of the people is lost and don't know what to do (20CB) and a world where the Space is covered with trash and Earth's countries try to survive while rich people keep developing new tecnologies (Planetes).

Besides, both mangas leave us a large reflexion about life, about society, about relationships and people, about love... I like reading something that makes me think, and not just gives me a show (like Gantz).

Hollow Kurono
March 23, 2008, 04:00 AM
Gantz

Well for starters my only seinen manga.And my favourite manga of them all.As TheGenius said im addicted to it.The plot is just what i was searching for all my life (:D) the main hero is a guy who i wanted to lead a story for a very long time,the creator is amazing to.I actualy cant explain it,but i love Gantz.

1. GANTZ - Probably the most "mature" manga that I've read so far... It definately has far more nudity, sex and gore than I normally see. It's been very shocking and disturbing at times, but I don't fail to love this series no matter what it does.

So true.

AzureSky
March 24, 2008, 07:02 PM
By far my favorite is Ubel Blatt, and it seems I'm the only one that thinks so. I guess im just a sucker for this type of story. The whole Fairy Tail with the twist plus Koinzell is one of my favorite manga characters. Anyone how hasn't tried reading it, should try it out.

I am also reading Gantz, but I can't really get into that story, and not many of the other seinen's interest me all that much.

bebekhappy
March 25, 2008, 04:53 PM
20th CB, monster and pluto are on my list.Urasawa's monster is the first seinen i've read recommended by my friend, great storyline, plot and characters, if it's not for monster i've never build my interest in seinen :tem.
my other fav seinen:
Team Medical Dragon : i only like the artworks at first but then the story keeps getting better and better, so i pretty much hooked up by this series.
Blame! : it's dark, it's weird but it has awesome art :smile-big.
AKIRA : wait! i thought monster was my first seinen seires....nah i just read a couple page of this in junior high, but i never get into it.i re-read it now and it's awesome!!!one of the best.
Zetman : is this shounen or seinen? anyway it's pretty good to read ^^.
DOGS : too bad the author discontinued it.
Bitter Virgin : i don't even know why i like this one, Aikawa...she's too cute :redface.
I also read vagabond and gantz, i stopped reading vagabond for the moment and save it for later, but i'm not sure about gantz.

squidbreath
March 25, 2008, 11:08 PM
dogs bullets and carnage (scanned by MangaTranslation) 27 chapters-ongoing

That's the continuation of "Dogs" btw. Too bad it comes out monthly - long waits with chapters that r a bit too short:( . But anyways, I love the characters and the art is amazing. Story's a bit hard to follow though, had to read it quite a few times before I understood some parts of it.

bebekhappy
March 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
27 chapters-ongoing

That's the continuation of "Dogs" btw. Too bad it comes out monthly - long waits with chapters that r a bit too short:( . But anyways, I love the characters and the art is amazing. Story's a bit hard to follow though, had to read it quite a few times before I understood some parts of it.

wait...it still continue???i've got to check it out thx for the info
-----------------------------------------------------------
yep....turns out the one i read was the prequel of the series.on the last page written to be continued, then the credit said it was never.anyway thanks again, i'm downloading it and can't wait to read it :p

shego
March 30, 2008, 11:50 AM
By far my favorite is Ubel Blatt, and it seems I'm the only one that thinks so.

Well yeah it's not like there are many people who dig godawful shota smut.

KrimsonTwilight
April 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
I honestly like Basilisk best of the seinen I've read. I enjoy Helling, gantz and so forth but Basilisk is what shaped my ideas about what a manga could do.

warbandit66
April 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
My favourite Seinen has to be Gantz, in fact it's probably my favourite manga full stop. The reason it's my favourite is because the characters are real and the artwork is some of the best I've seen in manga.

admirenkiwi
April 17, 2008, 08:47 PM
island is good :darn

Kyuzo
April 26, 2008, 10:48 AM
You can't go wrong with any of Hideki Arai's mangas (The World is Mine, Kiichi!!). Anything by Naoki Urasawa is pretty much solid too (Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto).

TheGenius
April 26, 2008, 11:01 AM
I'm looking for somethig in the genre of Homunculus , mature themes, psychological and such.

I've read all of Urasawa's work, I also read something concerning a guy that killed his entire family and was sent to prison, I forgot the title. I like these psycho seinen.

Kyuzo
April 26, 2008, 02:14 PM
I'm looking for somethig in the genre of Homunculus , mature themes, psychological and such.

I highly recommend The World is Mine then. You can find direct downloads at Kefi's website (www.kefi.org).

RobinBobin
April 27, 2008, 06:04 PM
Shamo isnt bad also.

Edit:
I've read all of Urasawa's work, I also read something concerning a guy that killed his entire family and was sent to prison, I forgot the title. I like these psycho seinen.

Looks like you already read it)

TheGenius
April 28, 2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks you Kyuzo, I'll DL it from mangatraders. I'll tell you afterwards.

orange_juice
May 01, 2008, 09:52 PM
Blade of the Immortal and Yotsubato! are prolly my top favorites, but I like a lot of seinen. Oh, Ichi the Killer was awesome too.

wrstljr
June 03, 2008, 09:01 PM
Basilisk is nice because it's short and to the point.

There's no bsing about wrong or right its just the events told in the way they happened at a high pace with great art. I enjoyed it a great deal.

Ichi the Killer was awesome...I almost hate thinking it was awesome because of how disturbing it is. The sickest thing i've ever read by far.

I just started Akira, Gantz and Beserk recently so I have catching up to do...Battle Royale sounds good too.

Ramen4ever
June 07, 2008, 11:10 PM
Berserk. For me, nothing has ever come close in sheer epic-ness. If no one spoils Berserk for you, it can be mind shattering. I started off with the anime, which wasn't anything special but after that ending. I was practically ripping my hair out. So I moved on to the Manga which was difficult to get into because some of the content can be really disturbing. Still I will always see Berserk as the ultimate story. Not to mention Berserk has phenomenal character development, quite possibly the best from an action manga. Some Drama's may compete but I can't name any. Oh and Miura has insane art skill. The amount of detail he puts in his work is overwhelming. It's very interesting to see how his art develops from volume 1 to now.

The main reason I love Berserk is because it's a tragedy with themes like betrayal and revenge. It's like the Count of Monte Cristo but even more Epic.

Edit: I just read the previous pages.. I'm surprised that so many people like Berserk based on the blood, gore and sex. The sex only occurs about 5 times and the blood/gore are only secondary to the story and characters. I'm a bit disappointed in some of peoples reasonings.
P.s my second favorite is Vagabond, however since it's based on a pre-written story. Just with Inoui's take on the events, It will never be my no.1.

Kuuki
July 04, 2008, 05:27 AM
Nobody likes Uzumaki? By far, it's the best horror manga i've read (actually i don't read many horror manga haha) Great concept too, very original :)

sylvira
July 09, 2008, 01:50 PM
I adore DOGS because it's a manga with an incredible art style, intruiging plot, and lovely characters. The way the mangaka works with heavy black-white shading makes everything a little bit sharper, and a little bit darker.

Ulysses83
July 21, 2008, 11:53 PM
Oh my, i have so much. ^^

- Battle Angel Alita - Great art, great storytelling, many philosophical and natural science references and well done characters. Very deep.
- Last Order - The Sequel of BAA with better art (imo) and the same strong points.
- Vagabond - Great art too and the story is very very interesting, i love history. ^^
- Berserk - the biggest sword in manga history ^^
- AKIRA - an absolute classic
- Blame - something very unique and innovative, imo
- Vinland Saga (seinen?) - Vikings ^^
- 20/21th Century Boys - Urasawa is really an suspense master
- Monster - the same
- Pluto - and the same + futuristic szenario+ hommage at tezuka
- Blade of the Immortal - strange mangaka, strange story but great art ^^
- PlanetES - near present space flights = yay!
- Homunculus - reeeeeeally twisted
- Eden - has an very strong beginning but a weak end, imo
- Fist of the North Star - an classic, too
- Ravishes of Time - my one and only manga (manhua) from china ^^

Battle Royal, Gantz, Priest are honorable mentions too, but they have not enough storywork, at least for me. ^^

No_Comxxx
July 24, 2008, 11:22 AM
20th century boys is the BEST!!!

Densebrains
August 02, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hmm... my favourite Seinen?

Ikkitousen - Battles with students from other schools? Something related to "The Three Kingdoms". Umm... nice drawings... <3 <3 <3

Love Hina - Main character is a guy who is not good at everything but as he progresses through the series he grows and becomes more and more dependable. The girls in this series have individual characters, each being unique. It is also vey funny when Keitaro is beaten up for the wrong reasons...

Sekirei - Action in Manga is always good, especially ones that have heroines. The heroines are very seductive too.

Vampire Knight - It is slightly... umm... disturbing but reading it is so interesting. It is always a mystery...

xxxHolic - Every wish has a price to go with it... it is just draws me in and I just want to keep reading it to see what will happen.

warbandit66
August 02, 2008, 04:10 PM
I've recently begun reading a manga called Until Death Do Us Part and I have to say It's gearing up to be a favourite, I'd definately reccomend it.

Have a look for yourselves.

http://www.onemanga.com/Until_Death_Do_Us_Part/

TheGenius
August 02, 2008, 04:51 PM
I've recently begun reading a manga called Until Death Do Us Part and I have to say It's gearing up to be a favourite, I'd definately reccomend it.

Have a look for yourselves.

http://www.onemanga.com/Until_Death_Do_Us_Part/

Blind swordsman, girl in panic and techno swords, it's a classic combo! Genius Approved!

Cupcakes
August 04, 2008, 04:18 PM
Oooh, Elfen lied and Deadman Wonderland ^^!

Haven't read the whole DW yet, but so far I really like it. It's bout Ganta who's taken in to a youth prison called Deadman Wonderland and it's just plain crazy... The prison i mean.
Elfen lied... hm, it's simply awsome. I don't know if you get to say that you like the bloodscenes, but they are really great ^^".

miyavisoap
August 07, 2008, 07:26 PM
im 13... and im a girl... and i read lots and lots of seinen... does that mean im weired?

No, it doesn't, imho :)

miyavisoap
August 07, 2008, 08:21 PM
my favorite is.... Tsukihime!!! it is so freakin grotesque lol
it's about vampires and something a little more than that...
and it is simply awesome how Saki cut ppl into pieces!!!

i like Black God too. it's korean seinen so obvisouly i can read the raws lol
and the plot is amazing. i love the authors with a passion (even before black god...)

GGpX
August 07, 2008, 10:31 PM
Hmm... my favourite Seinen?

Ikkitousen - Battles with students from other schools? Something related to "The Three Kingdoms". Umm... nice drawings... <3 <3 <3

Love Hina - Main character is a guy who is not good at everything but as he progresses through the series he grows and becomes more and more dependable. The girls in this series have individual characters, each being unique. It is also vey funny when Keitaro is beaten up for the wrong reasons...

Sekirei - Action in Manga is always good, especially ones that have heroines. The heroines are very seductive too.

Vampire Knight - It is slightly... umm... disturbing but reading it is so interesting. It is always a mystery...

xxxHolic - Every wish has a price to go with it... it is just draws me in and I just want to keep reading it to see what will happen.

Love Hina is Shounen and Vampire KNight is Shoujo.

Oooh, Elfen lied and Deadman Wonderland ^^!

Haven't read the whole DW yet, but so far I really like it. It's bout Ganta who's taken in to a youth prison called Deadman Wonderland and it's just plain crazy... The prison i mean.
Elfen lied... hm, it's simply awsome. I don't know if you get to say that you like the bloodscenes, but they are really great ^^".

Deadman Wonderland is a Shounen.

Kyrie Eleison
August 18, 2008, 02:25 PM
Naruto of course!
Nah, kidding. I'd say Blame! followed by Freesia, Bokurano and Gunslinger Girl. Blame is the absolute holy book for me because of the great art and the best sci-fi story I experienced. Not to mention the gorgeous art and the most important point, it has no walls of texts. I like when the art talks instead of tons of dialogues/monologues.

GSG is kind of addicting. Perhaps I like the idea of turning little girls into killer robots. It's not something completely awesome but a good read nevertheless.

As a Matsumoto Jirou fan I have to mention Freesia. I love some psycho dude running around and kicking asses. The story is supported with erotic elements, too, so it couldn't be any better.

Bokurano is a true gem. I love how Kitou kills off all the characters slowly but surely. The fact that the childs are the main characters makes everything more interesting and not to mention sad at the same time. Thematizing issues such as family problems and rape (win win) as a double thumbs up.

my favorite is.... Tsukihime!!! it is so freakin grotesque lol
it's about vampires and something a little more than that...
and it is simply awesome how Saki cut ppl into pieces!!!

I'd highly, very highly advise you playing the visual novel. I'd dare to say Nasu is a god of Japanese literature. And the vnovel has much more content.

miyavisoap
August 18, 2008, 08:31 PM
play the visual novel?? what does that mean kyrie san?

Kyrie Eleison
August 19, 2008, 07:40 AM
play the visual novel?? what does that mean kyrie san?

Well visual novel is basically a novel that's supported with pictures and audio (though Tsukihime had no audio but the translated version of the game kind of enables playing audio. Not to mention TYPE-MOON started working on Tsukihime remake). An example would be this (http://insani.org/screenshots/adagio4.png). Also wikipedia has a nice article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Novel) about VNs.

miyavisoap
August 19, 2008, 10:09 PM
aha.... i knew what they are--i actually played them before--but didnt know what they were called lol
thanks for the info kyrie san =]
at first i was thinking of something similar to light novels... well, cuz i love them =]

Akuser
September 12, 2008, 07:11 AM
My favorite's are....Air Gear and Tenjou Tenge

Air Gear- Iunno its just cool all around i guess
Tenjou Tenge- Cool fights (Saw the anime dont know if there was a manga)
Haha. wat a nice guy, i think u posted in wrong box.

I loves a lot of Seinen, maybe forgot some manga. Just listing

100% Love ><
Blood Alone
Ciguatera
Densha Otoko (:p)
Ressentiment​ (:p)
Eden
Girlfriend (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1653)
Himizu
Bersert
Claymore
The Ravages of Time
Yubisaki Milk Tea
Solanin (:()
D-ASH
Koi Kaze
Jiraishin
NHK ni Youkoso!
Battle Angel Alita
Yokohama
Homunculus
And All Manga of:
URASAWA Naoki (Master Keaton, Monster, Pluto, 20/21th Century Boys....)
SADAMOTO Yoshiyuki (Evangelion, Dirty Work, System of Romance)
Boichi (Hotel)
FUJISAWA Tohru (Rose Hip Rose/Zero, GTO....)
IKEGAMI Ryoichi (Crying Freeman, Offered, Sanctuary, Strain)
ITOU Junji (Uzumaki, Tomie...)
NIHEI Tsutomu (Blame!, Abara, Digimortal...)

80% Love thats mean Like not Love :D
Gantz (well, all about sex+gore)
Vagabond (loves it, but really tired...)
Battle Royale (same as gantz)
Dogs
All dark manga like "Icchi the killer" or "MPD" (sick+psycho+slice of life...)

Ichigo69
September 23, 2008, 02:22 AM
Let me clarify a bit about demographic vs. genre.

Demographic has to do with the target audience the mangaka is shooting for. These are typically Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen, and Josei. Shounen and shoujo manga are typically targeted to boys and girls (respectively) between the ages of 10 and 18. Seinen and josei manga are typically targeted to men and women (respecively) between the ages of 18 and up. There is also a demographic called Kodomo which is typically targetted to children.

What kind of demographic a manga is depends on what serial magazine it is published in. For example, Naruto is published in Weekly Shounen Jump, hence it it a shounen series. Maria-sama ga Miteru is published in Margaret, making it a shoujo series. Gantz is published in Weekly Young Jump, making it a seinen series. Honey and Clover was published in Young You and then subsequently Chorus, making it a josei series. Doraemon was published in CoroCoro Comic making it a kodomo series.

Now, genre has more to do with the content of a manga. Series like Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh, and Hidamari Sketch are considered 'Slice of Life'. Series like Vampire Knight and MPD Psycho are considered 'Horror'. Series like Eyeshield 21, Ookiku Furikabutte, and Major are considered 'Sports'. There are others, but I really don't feel like listing them all out. >_<

Most of the time, demographic and genre go together (i.e. more violent, sexual themes are seinen, action and comedy are shounen, romance is shoujo, etc), but not always. For instance Cowboy Bebop seems like it would be shounen, but was published in Asuka magazine, making it a shoujo manga. Welcome to the NHK seems like it would be seinen, but was published in Shounen Ace, making it a shounen. CLANNAD seems like it would be a shoujo, but is published in Dengeki G's, making it a Seinen. This is where people usually get confused.

To make it even MORE confusing, sometimes series change demographics. For instance, Rozen Maiden was originally published in Comic Birz, making it a shounen series. However, Peach Pit (the manga group) is now writing a new incarnation of Rozen Maiden, but instead, is publishing it in Weekly Young Jump, making it a seinen manga.

Hopefully this clears things up a bit ^_^

Quetz
October 09, 2008, 02:40 PM
These descriptions are littered with mild spoilers.

Gantz- This was my first seinen manga, and it quickly got me acclaimated to the differences between seinen and shounen. The unexpected plot turns, interesting characters, stylish weapons, random cover girls, well-done fights (it really does feel like they're struggling just to stay alive, let alone become powerhouses like osaka), and well-rounded cast all had me hooked in less than two volumes.

Berserk- I don't know if I really need to even list this one, since it's pretty much a given. Amazingly epic artwork that I could lose myself in at times, characters that are so well fleshed out that I feel as if I know them, masterfully done battle scenes and a gripping plot all come together to make this the best manga I've ever read, and I struggle constantly to try to find another manga that can match up to it. The long waits between releases are a small price to pay when compared to being able to read such a masterpiece for free.

Shamo - Just recently read this one, and I haven't had a whole lot of time to digest it mentally. It starts off interestingly enough, with a normal character performing a random act of insanity, followed by that character's journey through a metaphorical hell. Fascinating as it was in the beginning, in the end I became a bit disenchanted with it as it branched out into other characters (randomly training the main char in the mountains to face a foe that he never really hits more than once? really?), but since it's not over yet I have high hopes. The fact that the main character seems to have recently forgotten a lot of what he's learned is confusing me a bit, but I assume it'll all become clear in time.

Vagabond - This one is a bit odd for me. I know I like it, I know I enjoyed reading it, and that it was a hell of a ride. The only thing I don't know is WHY I enjoyed this manga as much as I did. Similar to Shamo, when the perspective switched to a secondary character (deaf guy, not Musashi's friend), I quickly lost interest since I couldn't see the direct connection to the main story line. Recently it's picked back up for me, and I'm into it again, but if Musashi really is crippled-ish for life, I don't know how the author will keep me that way.

Battle Royale - I loved this manga on the whole, but I grew tired of the constant backstorying. Mitsu as a villain was a bit over the top for me, but I suppose that her backstory was acceptable in revealing her whole personality. Overall I really liked the main characters (and Mim, who was pretty badass) and the villains (sans Mitsu), as well as the action, but I quickly grew tired of the constant backstories. Essentially, this is the quintessential must-read survival manga, period.

Ichi the Killer - I wasn't expecting much from this one, but it surprised me. Interesting characters without being TOO repulsive was a big plus, even if the ending was a bit of a cliffhanger (honestly, I feel like I just didn't read a final chapter, even though I clearly did). Excellent action, innovative weapon's on our protagonist(?)'s part, and the pacing all made this manga well worth the read.

Elfen Lied - I didn't care for this one, although a lot of other people seem to really dig it. On the whole it seemed like it was just a bit too much like a Shoujo with some random dismembering, and the plot slowed to a crawl near the end.

Ubel Blatt - I recently gave this one a try, and after a rocky start (the prologue sounds like some sort of wannabe LotR knockoff) it really got me hooked. The depth of the main character is offset by his single-minded determination to exact his revenge, and I very much get where he's coming from (in the sense that I often ignore all the complicated factors of a situation and just focus on what I was after in the beginning), and the action scenes are above average. Not many people seem to like it, but odds are they're comparing it to the likes of Berserk, which really isn't fair for a manga that's less than fifty chapters along. Having said that, let me directly contradict it by saying that unlike Berserk, I don't think that this particular manga is worth the long intervals between releases.

This topic was a good read. I've picked out a few new titles that I'll definitely be giving a shot, thanks all for writing such detailed responses.

eni
October 14, 2008, 02:17 AM
The seinen section got a little revamp last night, as you can see :p

Discussion threads that aren't aimed at a specific series have to go to the Otaku Cafe from now. The demographic boards will be focus on the one-thread-per-series-schema. But we're not that evil to chase our seinen fans completely off into the mixed-demographic discussion section - so here's the MH Seinen Hangout for the more commonly seinen talk!

Feel free to chat about "manly manga" in general and about those who don't fit the stereotypical description of seinen. Discuss seinen magazines, authors & artists, the scanlation scene and meet other seinen manga lovers and fans of mature manhwa (seongin) and manhua as well.

Have fun! :ossu

Y-on
October 16, 2008, 05:52 PM
I have to recommend Mysterious Girlfriend X, it's more of a romance manga, if not a strange one (but strange in a good way). The plot line original, and I really enjoy the storyline, I don't really read Seniens much, so it's nice when I find one I actually like. Here's more info about the series straght from Wikipedia:

"Mysterious Girlfriend X is the story of high school student Akira Tsubaki and his classmate, a strange scissors-wielding girl named Mikoto Urabe, who begin an unusual romance after he becomes addicted to her saliva."

The first couple of chapters may seem a little strange, but afterwards it gets really appealing.

Onemanga link:
http://www.onemanga.com/Mysterious_Girlfriend_X/

Helltroll
October 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the thread,eni. Very manly indeed :amuse
I just erad the last hellsing chapter and I must say that I'm...completly disappointed. I wanted HIM to return but not in this way. However I'm now in need for a good seinen series and can't decide between the following:
Berserk
Bastard!!
Blade of the Immortal
Vinland Saga
Any tips for an fellow seinen reader? ;)

zindryr
October 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
Berserk if you're looking for a serious fantasy-based series. Vinland Saga if you're looking for a more historical one. Blade of the Immortal if you're looking for something based in a sort of feudal Japanese world (with some kinds of magic and fighting I hear). Bastard!! if you're just looking for something so absolutely ridiculous it's fun.

Helltroll
October 18, 2008, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the help. Bastard!! I'm coming! :)

wrstljr
October 19, 2008, 05:19 AM
These descriptions are littered with mild spoilers.

Ubel Blatt - I recently gave this one a try, and after a rocky start (the prologue sounds like some sort of wannabe LotR knockoff) it really got me hooked. The depth of the main character is offset by his single-minded determination to exact his revenge, and I very much get where he's coming from (in the sense that I often ignore all the complicated factors of a situation and just focus on what I was after in the beginning), and the action scenes are above average. Not many people seem to like it, but odds are they're comparing it to the likes of Berserk, which really isn't fair for a manga that's less than fifty chapters along. Having said that, let me directly contradict it by saying that unlike Berserk, I don't think that this particular manga is worth the long intervals between releases.

This topic was a good read. I've picked out a few new titles that I'll definitely be giving a shot, thanks all for writing such detailed responses.

I tried reading Ubel Blatt after having it recommended to me, and I found it to be the most disgusting and awful manga I've ever read. No offense to your personal taste at all but to me it's just shallow with big overdone scenes that aren't really plot driven...like a Michael Bay movie or something haha.

Anyways I'd recommend

Tenjou Tenge Mainly because the flashback Arc is good enough to be a stand alone manga. Honestly the backstory in Tenjou is probably like 40% of the story and has the majority of the good characters in it haha...it's definitely a worthwhile read just cause of that. To me Oh! Great is one of the better "writer" manga-ka's just because he always has great dialouge or speeches from characters.

Also...many large breasted women.

Zetman Kind of like Gantz because it is just pure entertainment and very well drawn. Also it's interesting that there are 2 main characters that the story switches between.

Finally I'll definitely say Ichi the Killer, Battle Royale and Gantz are great reads if you just want to get into Seinen..though Ichi the Killer isn't really for the weak hearted haha.

Berserk I wouldn't recommend if your just starting out because it takes like 2-4 days in realtime to read the entire series.

OH and for the love of God if your a manga fan and you've never read One Piece go do yourself a favor and commit to it's awesomeness. I know it's not a Seinen title but it's something that everyone who's a fan of manga should read...so if you havent read that immeadiately go and download that masterpiece.

Added spoiler tag.

Dragun57
October 31, 2008, 07:49 AM
One manga that I haven't seen mentioned is Holyland. I was bored and looking up martial arts mangas at onemanga and stumbled onto this one. It's about a high school first year that has gained a reputation as a gang killer because he beats up guys trying to pick on him. This is due to him practicing boxing on his own after being picked on too much in middle school. I don't want to spoil too much, but the story is told very well and the main character is interesting. Anyone who's ever felt like an outsider can easily relate to this guy. The author also writes from a personal perspective on occasion when describing some of the intricacies of what's happening in the manga. I did some reseach and I believe this manga is already complete, just not scanalated past ch. 35. I'm going to start searching for raws and cleaning myself because I like this manga so much (I might as well learn to clean out of passion).

Digitalr
November 03, 2008, 01:51 PM
One manga that I haven't seen mentioned is Holyland. I was bored and looking up martial arts mangas at onemanga and stumbled onto this one. It's about a high school first year that has gained a reputation as a gang killer because he beats up guys trying to pick on him. This is due to him practicing boxing on his own after being picked on too much in middle school. I don't want to spoil too much, but the story is told very well and the main character is interesting. Anyone who's ever felt like an outsider can easily relate to this guy. The author also writes from a personal perspective on occasion when describing some of the intricacies of what's happening in the manga. I did some reseach and I believe this manga is already complete, just not scanalated past ch. 35. I'm going to start searching for raws and cleaning myself because I like this manga so much (I might as well learn to clean out of passion).

Might as well apply at Illuminati-manga (http://www.illuminati-manga.com/), they work on it.. so you'll help the releases get out faster.

hlcws
November 09, 2008, 06:39 AM
Tenjou Tenge Mainly because the flashback Arc is good enough to be a stand alone manga. Honestly the backstory in Tenjou is probably like 40% of the story and has the majority of the good characters in it haha...it's definitely a worthwhile read just cause of that. To me Oh! Great is one of the better "writer" manga-ka's just because he always has great dialouge or speeches from characters.

Also...many large breasted women.

Are there any similar manga to Tenjou Tenge?
Only one I know is Battle Angel Alita (its cyberpunk tho), which also has lot of flashbacks, struggle against the past and a lot of reflection on strategicy/mysticism/martial arts concepts.

Onomatopoeia
January 13, 2009, 11:02 PM
I don't care how many times this has been mentioned but Monster is my favorite Seinen of all time(and possible my favorite manga period) and I've got to recomend it to anyone who's even considering Seinen.

It's a psychological thriller/mysteryand As a mystery the plot is key, and trust me on this the plot is amazing it's got a few dozen twists and every revelation will leave you shocked. Not only that but the characters are splendidly made and thats true for more then the Main Characters, secondary characters are fleshed out wonderfully no matter how small their importance is. The art admittedly isn't the best but it goes for a realistic look which it does amazingly well. And...ah you know what screw it if you don't read Monster it's your fault and I pity you.

http://www.onemanga.com/Monster/

I don't want to reveal anything with the plot because pretty much revealing anything is a big spoiler.

Kitsame
January 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
Found a good one
Hitsuji no uta (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=385)

GGpX
January 19, 2009, 06:09 PM
Ichi the Killer, aka Koroshiya Ichi

(Also, not so brutal or violent, but Saru Lock)

Revilenigma
January 22, 2009, 02:36 PM
any of Jiro Matsumotos works
-Freesia
-Keep on Vibrating
-Tropical Citeon
-Uncivilized Planet

Kaiser Will
February 06, 2009, 06:42 PM
Well, I was playing around and find this forum, nice one MH!

But I'm here to suggest the readers of seinen a new manga: Change 123!

Here is the page of Change 123 on OneManga! (http://www.onemanga.com/Change_123/)

About the plot: Change 123 follows Motoko Gettou, a female martial artist. Orphaned at an early age, she was taken in by the "Three Fathers", a triumvirate of experts in all sorts of fighting skills. As a result of their rigorous training, she developed three distinct personalities, each individually skilled in the combat skills she learned. Now a high school girl, she is trying her best to lead a normal life.

For further information click here! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_123)

Hope you like it!

Revilenigma
April 10, 2009, 05:23 PM
Am I the only person who doesn't care for monster or any of Naoki Urasawa manga?

GGpX
April 10, 2009, 05:25 PM
Probably.

xi0
April 10, 2009, 05:28 PM
Yeah, maybe Urasawa's works aren't for everyone, but in all honesty the guy is a remarkable manga-ka. Has a true penchant for Drama.

Revilenigma
April 10, 2009, 05:29 PM
I still think they're good but they just don't suck me in like Freesia, Gantz, Ichi the killer or homunculus does.

baboysai
April 13, 2009, 09:18 AM
I actually got bored with monster. but 20CB is my favorite seinen ever. It was just so intense and creepy, and the textures in the story with all the characterizations- the little things that clicked to make it really explosive and phenomenal.

Revilenigma
April 13, 2009, 09:28 AM
I've only started reading 20cb, so far I think it's far superior over monster, but I find that mysterious "friend" guy kind of lame.

Rock-Bird
April 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have read 20th CB, and must say i really liked it, you may even call it a masterpiece or a must read for seinen fans... However Monster, with which i had concerns beforehand, turned out to be even greater, at least for me. Actually its not easy to describe why that is, but i feel its more serious, with the better atmosphere...

Well, besides that let me suggest a bit of a different kind of seinen series, its Liar Game (http://mangahelpers.com/m/liar-game), which includes some really nice psychological plays... Of course if you're looking for somy wacky, hilarious manga, check out Aiki (http://mangahelpers.com/m/aiki) ;-)

Meromorphe
April 28, 2009, 01:59 PM
Has someone read Junketsu no Maria (http://mangahelpers.com/m/junketsunomaria)? It is by Masayuki Ishikawa the author of Moyashimon.
Moyashimon is very interesting, especially because of the characters. Most of the women have a strong personality and about the guys you don't pay attention a lot to them at first, but they have actually some resources.

I do not know what to expect from Junketsu for the future. I have read the first two scanlated chapters. It is completely different from Moyashimon and fun enough for me to keep reading.

baboysai
April 30, 2009, 10:23 AM
well mero, it seems like only raws are available. :s I'm familiar with moyashimon because I watched the anime. however I kinda dropped it. it felt kinda boring at the later parts...

Meromorphe
April 30, 2009, 12:36 PM
Check MU, there are at least the first two scans done by geisha-scans who did not announce it on MH.
Personally, since I decided not to learn how irc works, I read them on Mangafox some time ago.
I did not check recently if there is a scan for chapter 3.

Kaiten
April 30, 2009, 10:33 PM
Chapter 3 has never been translated. Shame, it's a very good series. I'd like to read more. Del Ray will release volume 1 in the States this September. Worst case scenerio I'll wait till then. But hey, if there's an interested translator out there I'll happily scanlate ^^

baboysai
May 07, 2009, 07:42 AM
Anyone of you guys ever read Until Death Do Us Part? It's pretty cool, but I haven't gotten past vol. 2. I'm reading it right now. any reviews? @_@

Revilenigma
May 07, 2009, 12:13 PM
I downloaded it but I haven't read it yet.

Samui
May 08, 2009, 07:47 AM
When does the next chapter is out? It's a monthly manga, right?

xi0
May 10, 2009, 01:36 PM
I read some of it iirc and it was cool, I just never got around to keep reading it. Plus the scanlations sort of stalled and then some new group jumped ahead 30+ chapters to start to scanlate it which seemed odd to me.

baboysai
May 11, 2009, 08:03 AM
Really? well there seems to be no skip at mangatraders. The latest chapter released was chapter 57 last may 7.

xi0
May 15, 2009, 03:23 AM
Really? well there seems to be no skip at mangatraders. The latest chapter released was chapter 57 last may 7.

There isn't now. I remember when I first started reading it the scanlations stalled and then out of the blue a group scanlated some chapters in the 40 range....sort of perplexed me. It seems to be caught up now fortunately.

kameos
May 19, 2009, 02:46 PM
i like Gantz :D

baboysai
May 20, 2009, 10:02 AM
you should visit the Gantz Sub-forum (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=131) where there are a lot of other discussions specific to gantz. ^^

pandaemonium
June 12, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'd highly recommend The World is Mine by Arai Hideki. It's a rather dreary, bleak look at the world as a disaster and serial killer strike Japan.

To quote a review:
"The satirical author levels a violent and exhilarating accusation against the contemporary hypocrisy and stupidity with a malevolent jubilation."

Even so, it's definitely not for everyone, and it starts out slow, so give it a couple volumes before passing judgment.

<3Matsumoto<3
July 01, 2009, 01:45 PM
Any one know how frequent the chapter comes?

Sevenheadedmirror
July 01, 2009, 07:30 PM
where can I find the recent chapters of Deadman Wonderland (NOT onemanga it hasn't released any for a while)

Also: to all those blood love/lust sons of bitches read Battle Royal(e) 100% percent extra cool violence that guarantees to keep you interested at all times.

Revilenigma
July 02, 2009, 07:23 AM
where can I find the recent chapters of Deadman Wonderland (NOT onemanga it hasn't released any for a while)

check manga updates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=13626), they have the list of all the chapters out and the groups that did them.

Kaiten
July 02, 2009, 10:42 AM
btw: Deadman Wonderland is shonen (Monthly Shonen Ace)

Sevenheadedmirror
July 02, 2009, 06:19 PM
btw: Deadman Wonderland is shonen (Monthly Shonen Ace)They place it under seinen in all the places I have found... I guess it's simply for the blood but I think you are right. The place that recommends it says so itself.... anyway listen to my Battle royale recommendation 0% chance anyone can regret it

check manga updates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=13626), they have the list of all the chapters out and the groups that did them.

Thanks