PDA

View Full Version : Hangout MH Shounen Hangout

eni
October 14, 2008, 02:38 AM
The shounen section got a little revamp last night, as you can see :p

Discussion threads that aren't aimed at a specific series have to go to the Otaku Cafe from now. The demographic boards will be focus on the one-thread-per-series-schema. But we're not that evil to chase our shounen fans completely off into the mixed-demographic discussion section - so here's the MH Shounen Hangout for the more commonly shounen talk!

(And I'm sincerely sorry to merely recycle the text from the MH Seinen Hangout ._.)

Feel free to chat about "boys manga" in general and don't forget to invite the girls as they're big shounen fans too! Discuss shounen magazines, authors & artists, the scanlation scene and meet other shounen manga lovers and fans of sonyeon manhwa and boys' manhua as well.

Have fun!

nat
March 11, 2009, 04:30 PM
It all depends on how long Naruto goes ;)
Naruto finishes, if people don't find other addictions....It'll be a sad reality for manga forums. Not kidding.... see the other sections, they have 1/10 of Naruto section activity. I don't know much about other places, but the main generator is always Naruto.
It's a cash cow for everyone.

I can't remember correctly, but I think it was Naruto that made fansites go corporate back in the day...I remember DBZ, SM, Slayers, Kenshin days, with one site master who ran a small *business*...
But the last 8 years it has been huge and more company like...

bean
March 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
It all depends on how long Naruto goes ;)
Naruto finishes, if people don't find other addictions....It'll be a sad reality for manga forums. Not kidding.... see the other sections, they have 1/10 of Naruto section activity. I don't know much about other places, but the main generator is always Naruto.
It's a cash cow for everyone.

I can't remember correctly, but I think it was Naruto that made fansites go corporate back in the day...I remember DBZ, SM, Slayers, Kenshin days, with one site master who ran a small *business*...
But the last 8 years it has been huge and more company like...
as much as I like the people here, once naruto is over, I have no reason to come to this site...kinda sad.

but there will always be something else to replace naruto...there has to be, right? But you're right...only other manga I read is gantz, and the gantz section is usually dry...I check up on it, but hardly post or even follow the posts there.

Belisar
March 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
one piece, bleach, claymore, reborn..... the whole naruto section moves to these forums and makes the same we did with naruto.

and see there, there will be bleachtards, reborntards, claytards and onetards. ^^

◆ T.D.A ◆
March 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
I guess you will have to force yourself to read OP once Naruto finishes.

nat
March 11, 2009, 04:45 PM
nevaaaaa!
Reading shoujo seems cool though, next to berserk (they fit perfectly) :kukuku

Ps, Bleach is slowly dying....lol.

w0rd...

Belisar
March 11, 2009, 04:46 PM
nevaaaaa!

w0rd...
*bleaagh* shoujo :notrust

bean
March 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
one piece, bleach, claymore, reborn..... the whole naruto section moves to these forums and makes the same we did with naruto.

and see there, there will be bleachtards, reborntards, claytards and onetards. ^^if I haven;t begun to read any of those by now, chances are I never will...

I guess you will have to force yourself to read OP once Naruto finishes.meh...I tried reading bleach. I've given that manga many chances, and it repeatedly succeeded to fail to impress me. OP, well, I think that manga looks stupid. THat's my shallow reason for not reading it.

nevaaaaa!

w0rd...
only thing bleach had going for it were the big breas....well, can't think of anything. What's berserk about?

Asusp3v4x
March 11, 2009, 04:52 PM
C'mon Belisar... you know you want Shoujo muahauhauhauha

Kravmaga
March 11, 2009, 04:55 PM
only thing bleach had going for it were the big breas....well, can't think of anything. What's berserk about?

Just another manga... but without the triple G rating.

nat
March 11, 2009, 04:57 PM

How can we say it.......?
Well....extreme gore, mature themes and kickass characters..and some more gore and mature themes :nod.

Plus the main character is actually strong, Gutts is awesome and so is Skull knight :drool
good art though....sometimes out of this world...

Evil3ye
March 11, 2009, 08:24 PM
Don't slander 'bout Bleach! :o it's not thaaaaat bad xD

Though I think Naruto is more "shojo" than Bleach :XD

Baron Hugenstein
March 11, 2009, 08:40 PM

Though I think Naruto is more "shouji" than Bleach :XD

Bleach ain't that bad, but it ain't that great.
Part I was addicting, Part II was a shadow compared to the first part, IMO.

I wonder when will a Hollywood-made Naruto Movie come out?, since there is a big chance it will.

Evil3ye
March 11, 2009, 08:55 PM
Bleach ain't that bad, but it ain't that great.
Part I was addicting, Part II was a shadow compared to the first part, IMO.

I wonder when will a Hollywood-made Naruto Movie come out?, since there is a big chance it will.

I'm also a little bit bored of the Bleachstory atm. I just find the characterdesign is way better than in Naruto.

- - - - -
Hell no! But I think they'll take the time an wait until the manga is finished, they won't dare to bring out sth that horrible in the near future. Or will they? will THEY?? :o

Baron Hugenstein
March 11, 2009, 09:04 PM
I'm also a little bit bored of the Bleachstory atm. I just find the characterdesign is way better than in Naruto.

- - - - -
Hell no! But I think they'll take the time an wait until the manga is finished, they won't dare to bring out sth that horrible in the near future. Or will they? will THEY?? :o

They are butchering what ever left of Dragon ball. Plus Naruto is very very popular around the world, just look how many fans there are.

*shivers....they will milk the series like the Anime is doing now....

lazyboyrod
March 11, 2009, 09:07 PM
I guess you will have to force yourself to read OP once Naruto finishes.

lol yeah OP is going to go on for like 1000 chapters

Kusachu
March 11, 2009, 10:39 PM

Though I think Naruto is more "shojo" than Bleach :XD

Man, I only read Bleach like once a month or so, and I only download the anime in batches of like 30, so I don't watch it for like 6 months, then watch it all at once so I can skip over the boring shit and cut to the chase.

This last "Orihime is superpwn" arc is...it's fucking boring. The anime of it is/will be good, but it's been happening for what, like two years and it's still the same shit happening? I'm glad Naruto doesn't spend as much time on side characters as Bleach does.

And dodn't even try saying "Oh the Sasuke crap" because Sasuke is a main character. But who the hell are the big tittied fodder in Bleach?? There needs to be...I don't know. But the constant fight scenes with no story...it gets old fast in manga form. :darn

Evil3ye
March 12, 2009, 03:17 AM
This last "Orihime is superpwn" arc is...it's fucking boring. The anime of it is/will be good, but it's been happening for what, like two years and it's still the same shit happening? I'm glad Naruto doesn't spend as much time on side characters as Bleach does.

And dodn't even try saying "Oh the Sasuke crap" because Sasuke is a main character. But who the hell are the big tittied fodder in Bleach?? There needs to be...I don't know. But the constant fight scenes with no story...it gets old fast in manga form. :darn

Actually, Kishimoto does not spend any time on side characters at all, I don't know if it's that cool, too. IMO fans of Anko (or so), who hasn't appeared for.. hmm.. lemme think.. like 300 Chapters (?) are sucked as well.

Also I don't see a big deal with "the bif tittied fodder". If you're talking about Matsumoto, who had a fight vs Halibels fraccions, then I can't understand why are you complaining that much, it was at most 3 Chapters :D ~ comparable to Tayuya vs Shikamaru (whos not a main character!!!!)..

Also sarry said, it remindes him on the DBZ tournament fights or so.. just remember the Chuuninexams ;)
The only difference here is Naruto's had that in the first big arc, Bleach in the 2nd.

Baron Hugenstein
March 12, 2009, 07:49 AM
Actually, Kishimoto does not spend any time on side characters at all, I don't know if it's that cool, too. IMO fans of Anko (or so), who hasn't appeared for.. hmm.. lemme think.. like 300 Chapters (?) are sucked as well.

Also I don't see a big deal with "the bif tittied fodder". If you're talking about Matsumoto, who had a fight vs Halibels fraccions, then I can't understand why are you complaining that much, it was at most 3 Chapters :D ~ comparable to Tayuya vs Shikamaru (whos not a main character!!!!)..

Also sarry said, it remindes him on the DBZ tournament fights or so.. just remember the Chuuninexams ;)
The only difference here is Naruto's had that in the first big arc, Bleach in the 2nd.

It seems that Kubo uses big titted girls to grab attention. I was discussing the situation long ago with a friend, and she said(which I agree btw) that if you want to become popular nowadays, draw Naruto/Sasuke or draw female characters with big boobs.

Plus, the pace in Bleach has become stale, IMO, especially in battles.

chess4
March 12, 2009, 09:31 AM

and see there, there will be bleachtards, reborntards, claytards and onetards. ^^

right now dragonball z is the gold standard for me because it was my first. after it ended i didnt think anything could replace it, but naruto its fast approaching the top spot.

i would like to think something could replace naruto, but i dont anything will EVER compare to the brillance that is naruto

Evil3ye
March 12, 2009, 09:40 AM
It seems that Kubo uses big titted girls to grab attention. I was discussing the situation long ago with a friend, and she said(which I agree btw) that if you want to become popular nowadays, draw Naruto/Sasuke or draw female characters with big boobs.

Plus, the pace in Bleach has become stale, IMO, especially in battles.

Though it seems like Masashi is doing the same in the meanwhile. Besides Tsunade (cup size G XD) we've got Hinata and now Samui (F at least :p).

And I agree with you saying the battles are too extended and appear to be boring. Which is because Kubo draws too big panels :darn

1TrueSensei
March 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
Though it's off-topic and probably will be deleted, I'll stand up in Bleach's defense on this one. Reading Bleach weekly takes away from it's quality because Kubo does stretch his story out. It's much different from when he first started writing the story, when each chapter could stand on its own.

Reading them in lumps, like every 10 chapters or so, does make the story more enjoyable. I'm not the only person who thinks so. So in the end, it's not that Kubo necessarily has a worse writing style than Kishi, it's just that it's different.

P.S. It is a shonen, so *ahem* well-endowed women are kinda a given. A good author can make the story enjoyable without them, but be honest with yourselves gentlemen (I'm talking strictly to the guys on this one): how many of you stuck with Naruto from the very beginning after seeing the Sexy/Harem jutsus? 'Nuff said.

Kishi has gone past needing those plot devices, but that's because he developed the story so much.

eni
March 12, 2009, 11:31 AM
Reading them in lumps, like every 10 chapters or so, does make the story more enjoyable. I'm not the only person who thinks so. So in the end, it's not that Kubo necessarily has a worse writing style than Kishi, it's just that it's different.
Agreed. Kubo has a very different pacing of storytelling which makes Bleach enjoyable to read in a batch (a whole arc) instead of weekly. I read it 1-2 times per year >.>

nat
March 12, 2009, 11:42 AM
that must suck for a weekly manga....I mean having chapters that don't stand out alone, don't they have ratings for each week?

Evil3ye
March 12, 2009, 11:46 AM
actually it's ok to read weekly ~ you have a lot of time to discuss things that may happen and so :tem

◆ T.D.A ◆
March 12, 2009, 11:50 AM
I think Bleach would be better as an anime.

eni
March 12, 2009, 11:56 AM
'would'? :blink

The Bleach anime is pretty fun. Though, I have all longer running anime stalled for the time being. To me, for shounen anime adaption, Kenshin OVA, Soul Eater and Fullmetal Alchemist take the cake. Not just great manga but also great animation. Kekkaishi and the non-filler episodes of D-Grayman are close behind them <333

Can't think of any other shounen manga based anime atm, that I enjoyed much *thinks*

Koen
March 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
I think Bleach would be better as an anime.

actually it's ok to read weekly ~ you have a lot of time to discuss things that may happen and so :tem

@TDA: can not agree with that. Imo you could make a comparison with movies. As I never (mostly it is) expect a movie to be better than its book, I'll never expect an anime to better than its manga and certainly not action shounen.

@evil3ye: I second to what you say. I think it's fairly ok to read it weekly but I can understand people reading a batch

Marq
March 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
Bleach (manga) is pretty much Dragonball Z's anime in manga form, the fights just drag on too much. I used to be a fan of Bleach, I just read it with very low expectations. Kubo can draw fight scenes well, but his backgrounds are so stale. Hopefully when he finishes Bleach, he goes back to ZombiePowder.

Black_Vegeta
March 13, 2009, 06:39 AM
The GetBackers anime was so much fun, and had some great fillers. Plenty lulz were had especially with Ginji ......
Busuo Renkin anime is almost, if not better than its manga.
Seeing as Bleach is also following some DBZ standards. It's like Ichigo is soon going SSJ3!

Kusachu
March 14, 2009, 11:04 AM
I just want to know if they are still going to make 666 Satan into an anime. That series was really good even though I seriously pissed about the ending. >__>

eni
March 14, 2009, 11:06 AM
No, it was a fake rumor ;.;

And yes, loved the series too. I miss Jio since he was a awesome character. The end was way to rushed and very unsatisfying, I agree.

Stevenh1990
April 28, 2009, 11:15 PM
When are they going to make Fairy Tail into an anime ?

THM Nindo
May 07, 2009, 10:20 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to know your opinion.

Is One Piece really that good?
I'm tempted, but I just want to know if it's worth it because it's a LOT of chapters to read.

Thanks.

Elyon A. Luna
May 08, 2009, 12:18 AM
Yes it is.

Whilst the first chapters may not be that exciting, I'd say after the Baratie arc everything starts getting into another level.

But on a better point, you won't feel like the series is jumping up and down alternatively like you sometimes feel with some other series, it really keeps every chapter interesting, good and fresh.

I'll recomend it highly

THM Nindo
May 08, 2009, 11:38 AM
Yes it is.

Whilst the first chapters may not be that exciting, I'd say after the Baratie arc everything starts getting into another level.

But on a better point, you won't feel like the series is jumping up and down alternatively like you sometimes feel with some other series, it really keeps every chapter interesting, good and fresh.

I'll recomend it highly

Thanks a lot.
Do you recommand the manga or the anime?

I'll definitely see the anime at some point, but is it worth it to read the manga first or are they really similar?

Thanks again.

Imitorar
May 08, 2009, 03:52 PM
The anime mostly keeps to the manga, although there are a few (rather good) filler arcs. But why risk pacing issues and bad animation (not to mention the fact that you could read a volume of the manga in the space it takes to watch two episodes, which cover only half a volume, at the most) when you can read Oda's personal work? I'm a purist, so I always read the manga, aside from the other concerns.

But if none of that bothers you, then I guess you may as well watch the anime, since it adheres to the manga. Just make sure to watch all of the first 45 episodes, no matter how much you may wanna drop it around episode 10 or so. Trust me, you'll regret it if you don't watch the whole East Blue Saga, it took until the end of it for the story to come into its own. The equivalent in the manga, should you choose to read it instead, is reading the first 11 volumes, no matter how much you may wanna drop it around volume 4.

eni
May 09, 2009, 01:37 PM
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1998/h2v16c01pg19.png:rofl

(tnx@ttx for upping this page of H2 (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=91) <3)

predsfan
May 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/1998/h2v16c01pg19.png:rofl

(tnx@ttx for upping this page of H2 (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=91) <3)

lol, you've gotta love Adachi. He's always making fun of himself in his mangas.

Meromorphe
May 13, 2009, 02:43 PM
Ooh, I've read some oneshots recently from <insert right name> Jump.

Blust by Murata-sensei. I read somewhere in the volumes of ES21 that he says that the main achievement in being mangaka is to meet mangakas he has always looked up to. I found this reason pretty weird, but now I understand when I see this tribute to old mangas and other comics. The hero flying makes me think of astro boy, nuclear power in his hands (if I understand right) is a classics of the 60s, there is a made-up name for a country and curry. Who nowadays will use nuclear as a basis for such small power centers? (How do you stop radiations?!!) I will be surprised if they decide to make a serialization from it, but who really knows?

Hokenshitsu no Shinigami by AIMOTO Shou. When reading it, I did not know where to focus. The first guy that is introduced does not seem to be the main character, which is rather absent and does not have anything interesting in him. So, the story was rather unattractive to me.

Akazukin Eliza by Kano Yasuhiro. That was gorgeous. I really like the clothes she wears (when she has ones). The story was funny and parodic.
The grandma is full of doping products
Special mention to those dreamlike and gigantic creatures near as big as mine's.

Bo Ashi
June 19, 2009, 07:19 AM
I really wanna read Blust as well, even the raw would be enough, since im a big fan of Muratas artwork.

I've been looking around MH but can't seem to find it... anyone?

Kusachu
June 19, 2009, 02:26 PM
Thanks a lot.
Do you recommand the manga or the anime?

I'll definitely see the anime at some point, but is it worth it to read the manga first or are they really similar?

Thanks again.

I started on One Piece a couple months ago and I've only made it chapter 260-ish!! It's so much WORK! I do like it however, and it does grab the interest. I haven't read anything that made me fall over laughing yet, but I am surprized by how much I enjoy Luffy, and have also fallen irrationally in love with Ace. :hearts

I also started watching the anime but I haven't been as successful with that. I'm only on ep 5 or so. It's just hard to get into the anime at the begining having already read all that stuff, and it's not particularly engaging until the Nami stuff comes to a head later on IMHO.

Meromorphe
June 29, 2009, 02:05 PM
I really wanna read Blust as well, even the raw would be enough, since im a big fan of Muratas artwork.

I've been looking around MH but can't seem to find it... anyone?

Here is the main page on MH with the different links to RAWS and Scanlations.

http://mangahelpers.com/m/blust
[hr]
Today, I just read chapter 132 of Sayonara Zetzubou Sensei, whose title is Woman in the Golden Sand. After the translator's notes it is a reference to the book Woman in the Dunes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_in_the_Dunes) by Kobo Abe.
This novel was a wonderful experience when I read it, so I highly recommend it. Words fail me to describe the inventivity and depth of this surreal fable.
Before beginning to read it, check a bit if it is your cup of tea though :darn

eni
June 29, 2009, 03:31 PM
You may want to watch the movie as well :)

We had it on video tape a looong time ago, so I don't remember it well anymore but it was a very impressive piece of art. Got also some awards, if I recall correct.

ketorin
July 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
I just want to know if they are still going to make 666 Satan into an anime. That series was really good even though I seriously pissed about the ending. >__>

I would be really happy if they did make an anime of 666 Satan. The main reason why I want an anime is so they can change the ending, I just have to say that is the worst ending that I have ever read.

Kusachu
July 14, 2009, 11:13 PM
I would be really happy if they did make an anime of 666 Satan. The main reason why I want an anime is so they can change the ending, I just have to say that is the worst ending that I have ever read.

Can't say I disagree with you on that. It's wasn't necessarily THE WORST EVER ending, but it should have and deserved to be so much better than what it was. Maybe it's because it seemed so rushed and unsatisfying. I could deal with it having the same sort of ending, but there seemed to be much more story that could have been told. It just hit the readers like a brick, knocked us out, and left us to wake up going, "What...the fuck just happened?!? You mean that's IT?!?" :confused

cleodux
October 08, 2009, 07:41 AM
Can't say I disagree with you on that. It's wasn't necessarily THE WORST EVER ending, but it should have and deserved to be so much better than what it was. Maybe it's because it seemed so rushed and unsatisfying. I could deal with it having the same sort of ending, but there seemed to be much more story that could have been told. It just hit the readers like a brick, knocked us out, and left us to wake up going, "What...the fuck just happened?!? You mean that's IT?!?" :confused

IMHO 666 Satan had the worst ending ever.... in all shounen manga universe. Ever... it starts good with the o-parts... and then suddenly it is about Angel and Demon, and then time skip, although everyone grown up to be bishie and bishoujou, Jio and Ruby relationship seem rather forced. The part about how Jio got his name also seems rushed.. at that time i was... oh ok whatever....*skip*... and then it finished :D re-read the last few chapters again, i still got the same impressions. I like the Kujaku parts though.

sabret00the
February 15, 2010, 10:24 AM
I came across a Korean manga recently, it seems to be a mix of gag and action. It featured a boy who went to Korea to chase after a girl he was in love with who herself went to Korea to become a police woman. One thing leads to another and he becomes the head of a gang (yakuza style gang), they end up going toe-to-toe with some big dude and recruiting him, does anyone know what it's called?

Sherlock Holmes
September 11, 2010, 03:55 PM
Can anyone remind me of the title of a manga I'm looking for? It was something about a game, and a roller coaster, and people falling off it.

Koen
September 11, 2010, 04:50 PM
@sherlock: 8.1 Yamada Yusuke Gekijou by Yamada Yusuke & U.G.E
(http://mangahelpers.com/forum/../m/8-1-yamada-yuusuke-gekijou)

Sherlock Holmes
September 13, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks I don't know why I forgot to follo-oh. Two chapters.
...Right. Well on the bright side I'm caught up!

TheMoa
September 17, 2010, 12:24 AM
I came across a Korean manga recently, it seems to be a mix of gag and action. It featured a boy who went to Korea to chase after a girl he was in love with who herself went to Korea to become a police woman. One thing leads to another and he becomes the head of a gang (yakuza style gang), they end up going toe-to-toe with some big dude and recruiting him, does anyone know what it's called?

i know that i'm months later, but the manhwa's name is Sun-ken rock

Crude
September 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
TheMoa beat me to it, though I just found out about the manwha today (and by accident :D)!

Hamy
October 11, 2010, 06:09 AM
Hello all shounen readers Hamy here~

Dear members, we have the usage to feature certain shounen - the stickied threads you see. The purpose for this is to awaken an interest for these shounen series. We used to feature this by staff decision.

However, given the amount of new series - especially shounen - being released there are at times delays or blind spots of series being featured. After all there are only so much staff members to discover these new series to be featured.

In order to better improve the featured shounen selections we would like to ask for your help through suggestions from your side. Is there a shounen series you want to suggest? Give us the name and we'll check out what we can do.

It would be best if when suggesting a series to follow the format that you see on the first post of a featured torrent an example of which is:
http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1972982#post1972982
Basically, its a short synopsis of the series as well as your own impression to try and convince people to give the series a shot.

Thank you :)

Koen
October 25, 2010, 08:02 AM
@shounen readers: it would be really nice if you'd give response. We want to hear from you which manga should be featured. Is there a shounen thread that deserves a spotlight. Post it up here, we would very welcome.

Anyway, I featured the Kimi no iru machi thread/series. Now up to you

GOOMOONRYONG
October 26, 2010, 12:39 AM
Anyone here ever read The Breaker? I just found it a couple of weeks ago and it is pretty damn good. Has to deal with martial arts and learning techniques, I happen to like it alot.

feisu-chan
October 31, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hi! I'm trying to look for a Beelzebub thread here in MH, but can't find it - or am I not just looking hard enough? Is there a Be-el thread in the first place? If not, I'd like to request for one! hehe! It's a great humorous manga about juvenile delinquents and wet nurses and demon kids! I think there's a good fanbase for it, and it's interesting to have a forum where readers can discuss about it! THanks!

EDIT: forget it, I found it... But's still, it's good if Beel can also have its own sticky!

conn-man
November 03, 2010, 10:26 PM
I'm really surprised that there weren't that many Halloween themed color spreads this year. Disappointed really.

THM Nindo
November 12, 2010, 09:52 PM
Hi guys!
Sorry if this is the wrong thread... I usually don't post for this kind of request...

I'm going to be on vacation for 2 months starting January so I have the time to start a new manga/anime.

I need suggestion!!

I'm already reading/watching the following:

- Naruto
- One Piece
- Bleach
- Soul Eater
- Air Gear
- Berserk
- Claymore

And I've already watched:
- Full Metal Alchemist
- Code Geass
- Death Note
- Elfen Lied
- Eden : An endless world
------

I was thinking of going with a great Shounen-type manga...
From the list in the Shounen section... which should I choose?

- D.Gray Man
- Hitman Reborn
- Fairy Tale
- Psyren
- HunterXHunter

I also heard about Veritas being great....
And I was wondering if anyone had read Vinland Saga...

I'm looking for something that would fit with what I love (see the list I read), but that wouldn't be too much of the same thing again...

Thanks a lot guys!!

PS: By the way, I recommand any of those manga/anime I listed above!

Koen
November 13, 2010, 06:42 AM
I'd say Psyren of course since it starts very good. Reborn has 8 volumes of daily life stuff.

Yes, Vinland saga is very good. It's a seinen with very nice art, a very great (historical) story, etc

igotthegoods
November 14, 2010, 10:00 PM
I'd recommend Vinland Saga as well. :) It has some interesting characters and a nice storyline to it (with a revenge theme, though not quite as dark as Berserk, which I see you're reading).

Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1162) or a classic like Rurouni Kenshin (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=89). If you're willing to step a bit out of your comfort zone and try a sports/slice-of-life manga, please give Cross Game (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=660) a try. It's storytelling at its best. :)

Koen
November 15, 2010, 09:21 AM
Otherwise, for action shounen series I'd say to go for either Kekkaishi (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1162)

How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you

conn-man
November 16, 2010, 12:29 AM
How could I forget that one. Yes, Kekkaishi is definitely good but you have to take your time for it. Imo it is not an instant read manga because the story can be more complex than some other generic shounen.

But yeah, Kekkaishi is the shounen that grows on you

I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?

Koen
November 16, 2010, 09:29 AM
I've been wondering latley to if kekkaishi is good enough to read, what you've said here has convinced me ill like it. Saying that its a more complex shounen, it has some good plot, huh?

Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it

igotthegoods
November 16, 2010, 01:56 PM
Yeah, it starts slow and kinda boring but the stories aren't cheap and easy. The arcs have a story in which you have to keep yourself focused. I wasn't convinced by kekkaishi at first but I gave it a second chance and I am glad that I read (amd reading) it

Totally agree with koen here. The early chapters all kind of follow the same formula and in a way that they give you the "wash, rinse, repeat" sort of feeling, but I wouldn't call them bad by any means. I still found them to be entertaining because I really like the characters. The story starts to pick up once a certain older brother character is introduced (around volume 3 or 4, iirc?), but I'd actually give it at least 50 chapters or so before judging. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you give it a shot. :)

conn-man
December 07, 2010, 11:39 PM
Well I started reading kekkaishi like I said a few posts ago and now I'm on ch 102. I love it and recommend it to who ever likes really well thought out plot and characters should read this, it does read a little richer than most but its worth it.

Koen
December 08, 2010, 08:12 AM
I knew you were going to like it conn-man. It'll become even better ;) I am glad that you have considered reading it and that you like it.

Did you like it from the beginning? Or did you have to struggle yourself through it?

conn-man
December 08, 2010, 04:45 PM
i've liked all of it, the early chapters were all character development and humor and thats never a bad thing. the highlights of the early chapters for me was the stuff with uro-sama, that was fun, and when shishio came onto the scene.

now the story has gone crazy, but its still organized. all these new groups and characters, im having trouble remembering names of people and places but ill catch on.

yoshimori is definitly my favorite character, and as you can see, madarao. yoshimoris growth has been very good, him and tokine both need a power boost at the stage im at, so im looking forward to that. ill hop onto the kekkaishi thread as soon as im all caught up.

k-dom
December 11, 2010, 03:58 PM
I was thinking of going with a great Shounen-type manga...
From the list in the Shounen section... which should I choose?

- D.Gray Man
- Hitman Reborn
- Fairy Tale
- Psyren
- HunterXHunter

I also heard about Veritas being great....
And I was wondering if anyone had read Vinland Saga...

I'm looking for something that would fit with what I love (see the list I read), but that wouldn't be too much of the same thing again...

Thanks a lot guys!!

PS: By the way, I recommand any of those manga/anime I listed above!

From the 5 on your list I have not read Reborn but concerning the other one. I guess HunterXHunter is a must be at least until the end of the Greed Island saga. After you need to bear the huge number of hiatus Togashi is taking. Fairy Tail is quite enjoyable but not at the same level as One Piece. I found the last arcs quite weak but the new one looks promising. Psyren is ok but I must say I'm not a huge fan of it (and the art is not really impressive). I used to follow D. Gray Man but it's becoming complex and I find there are too much incoherences.

Otherwise, I would recommand Kenichi and Gintama. I found them better than the ones above and Gintama has been some of my biggest laugh in 2010.

A bit of topic wrt to this thread, if you have not read some of Naoki Urasawa works (Monster, 20th century boy...), do it.

And GTO, did you forget it ?

saladesu
December 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
I would agree with k-dom on Fairy Tail and DGM (though I'm still reading it and trying to understand it :XD). Psyren is pretty good, though the pacing can feel off at times, especially the end (but it was inevitable). I thought the art for Psyren was impressive, actually, but I guess it could be a matter of taste.

Kenichi is another good one - also quite realistic in that all the martial arts and moves are really real. Matsuena-sensei does his research, that's for sure :) If you like/enjoy ecchi as well, this would also be right up your alley...

I'd also recommend Nurarihyon no Mago. Under-read manga with great art and a great story. The starting is admittedly slow, but once you get past that, every arc just gets better and better. It's very charming because most of the characters are based on Japanese folklore and it has a sort of mystic feel about it.

If you're looking for a slightly different kind of shounen, I'd recommend Bakuman. (*biased*) :amuse In Bakuman, the pen is truly mightier than the sword! You won't be seeing fistfights or sword duels and whathaveyou that you're probably used to seeing in shounen manga, but they "battle" with drawing manga! :D It's definitely a breath of fresh air~

If you're wondering about length (if it matters in helping you make the choice :XD), Psyren, Mago and Bakuman are all fairly short, so they should be fairly quick reads/catch-ups. DGM and FT would take longer but they aren't that long either. Kenichi is past the 400 mark, so it would take you the longest.

Kaiten
December 12, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'd recommend -Hitogatana- (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=42666). Only three chapters have been translated so far, so far it's really good. Great art, great action scenes, great main character, and potential for a great story. Huner x Hunter is obviously classic, not quite One Piece but almost as good. I'm behind on my reading but Mago and Gamaran (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=43670) are also great. The latter is just vicious; no special powers, no fantasy, just brutal fighting and strategy.

I do read Vinland Saga and love it. Very similar to Berserk, without the fantasy settings and less violent. Vinland is not as good but if you like Berserk you'll like Vinland.

Koen
December 21, 2010, 01:57 PM
Shounen fans: Don't miss the first Mangahelpers Manga Awards! Nominations are open here! (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=931)

Hamy
January 12, 2011, 11:01 PM
A friendly reminder since I've noticed more and more deletes.

For new members, and maybe old members who may have forgotten. There is a "Thanks" button at the area where you can find "edit" and "quote" buttons at the signature area of a post. Now what I want to remind people is that its great to show gratitude and say thanks but rather than posting thanks to a person what you should do is to click the "Thanks" button. Not only will this free up posts that don't really add to the discussion but it also saves your time posting a one liner - which you should generally avoid in the first place.

k-dom
March 10, 2011, 01:53 PM
just for my personal knowledge what is a cursive writing in japanese and why is it hard to read ?

l3gitimat3
March 10, 2011, 04:16 PM
i wasnt even aware u could write japanese in cursive
O_e

saladesu
March 11, 2011, 04:59 AM
You can write anything in cursive. Basically, it looks... Messy :XD Just like any other kind of cursive writing, the strokes are not as defined, some get combined...

Take a look at this (http://manhua.178.com/l/lansechumoshi/14634-16.shtml) - at the letter in the top left hand corner. That's what Tatsuma's cursive handwriting looks like :) Compare it to this, the Japanese I transcribed off it 前略 奥村燐 私は 坊 In this case it's actually readable, but I've seen cursive Japanese that's really next to impossible to read unless you're used to reading cursive Japanese :sweat (some of the words on the envelope a few pages before the page I linked were not readable)

k-dom
March 11, 2011, 05:49 PM
Thanks saladesu for the explanation although moving it here make it kinda difficult to find...

saladesu
July 18, 2011, 11:41 AM
Most people don't really look at the Completed Series Archive but I figured most shounen fans would be fans of FMA (and if you're a shounen fan but haven't read FMA... Shame on you!) and interested in this: The prototype chapter of FMA is out and it's rather interesting to see how FMA transited from a one-shot to a series. Here's (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/71575-FMA-Prototype-Chapter-Discussion) the discussion thread :amuse

To continue from my first sentence, FMA is one of my favorite manga ever, one of the best the shounen genre has to offer and truly a masterpiece. I highly encourage anyone who has yet to read it, or who has only watched the first anime (the 2004 one), to read it asap! :super

Kaiten
July 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
You can write anything in cursive. Basically, it looks... Messy :XD Just like any other kind of cursive writing, the strokes are not as defined, some get combined...

Take a look at this (http://manhua.178.com/l/lansechumoshi/14634-16.shtml) - at the letter in the top left hand corner. That's what Tatsuma's cursive handwriting looks like :) Compare it to this, the Japanese I transcribed off it 前略 奥村燐 私は 坊 In this case it's actually readable, but I've seen cursive Japanese that's really next to impossible to read unless you're used to reading cursive Japanese :sweat (some of the words on the envelope a few pages before the page I linked were not readable)

If anyone wants to know more about Japanese penmanship, I highly recommend Tomehane (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/67586-Tomehane!-by-KAWAI-Katsutoshi). Tomehane is about a high school calligraphy club, and besides being a great slice of life manga, does a great job explaining calligraphy. It happens to be one of my favorite series too :D

Estranho
July 28, 2011, 06:12 AM
Are there a topic about Ahiru no Sora? (I never get along with this search tool here)
After a long hiatus, a new group is scanlating it in a regular pace, would be good to have a place to talk about it.

jorped
July 28, 2011, 10:51 AM
Are there a topic about Ahiru no Sora? (I never get along with this search tool here)
After a long hiatus, a new group is scanlating it in a regular pace, would be good to have a place to talk about it.

I used that name to search if there is some thread with that title, and i didn't saw one on the results, so i guess there isn't a topic about that manga

igotthegoods
July 28, 2011, 11:18 AM

Sorry, there isn't a topic for that manga yet. Feel free to start one! :thumbs And remember that anytime there's a series or a topic you'd like to discuss, I would encourage you to take the initiative and start a new thread (this is aimed at all members, btw ^^). There's no need to wait on a mod, everyone can start threads.

Hamy
November 14, 2011, 09:51 AM
Hello all I'd just like to remind members on common courtesy even when you are private messaging someone. In addition if you have an issue with a moderator action to your post please remember that this is not the end of the world so take a deep breath and reply in a courteous manner as you would in any conversation or post, I don't see why this would be so difficult. Or better yet reflect a bit as to why your post was deleted or modified the answer could be right in front of you.

I'd also like to take the time to tell you all how spoiler tags are not the end of the world so if you actually go on a hissy fit or reply rudely with regard to this manner there is no helping you; keep in mind we have a quick button for spoilers so it is not difficult at all to place. If you truly have an issue that it discourages you from posting then it is no longer of my concern, its a loss but oh well such is life.

Also if a moderator action was done to your post remember to contact the said moderator before doing anything to the post. If your post happens to disappear it would be ill-advised to post it again as chances are it was deleted for an infractions, usually off topic a one liner a thank post or something better of at PM (if it is via PM you should expect a PM from said moderator replying and explaining the situation). Normally we would PM you but really if the post infraction really isn't serious you should not expect one - on the flip side it also means there is no reason to overreact regarding the matter because it really isn't serious so there is no reason to flip out over it again it is not the end of the world.

Also realize there is a case for case basis on certain matters, we aren't mindless zombies that strictly adhere to rules if so believe me a lot more things would be deleted, and we assure you that there is guidance from the global moderators or even administrators. Hence, be at ease at the fact that we do our best in looking into matters if it is indeed contentious.

Thanks

Charlie
January 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone here still following Guyver?

TemplateR
February 14, 2012, 05:28 PM
So is there any actuall ongoing baseball manga, which some tragedy-plot like the soccer-manga "Area no Kishi" ?

Negative Syndicate
February 14, 2012, 07:03 PM
So is there any actuall ongoing baseball manga, which some tragedy-plot like the soccer-manga "Area no Kishi" ?

Well, it doesn't have tragedy-plot, but there is a good and currently ongoing baseball manga, called "Daiya no Ace."

Pirulito
September 02, 2012, 04:33 PM
Nurarihyon no Mago's thread was deleted?

Kaiten
September 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
We are very sorry, but due to a recent server crash certain random threads throughout the forum were lost. Mago seems to among among the lost threads. This was not due to human error, nor were any threads deliberately deleted. Threads were deleted on the server side and as such are not recoverable. We apologize for the lost posts and discussions. This was detailed in a forum announcement made at the time of the crash. The best we could do was start a new Mago discussion thread, available here (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/78432-Nurarihyon-no-Mago-by-Shiibasha-Hiroshi).

Doraku
October 23, 2012, 12:13 PM
http://static.mangahelpers.com/gallery-images/17520/comaw12logo.png (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/1037-Community-Awards-2012)

Please participate in the awards, We hope you all enjoy it and hope some of your votes get the win! :)

(Just click on the picture to go the the subsection)

---------- Post added October 24, 2012 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was October 09, 2012 at 08:39 PM ----------

The second round of the Community Awards Voting (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/1037-Community-Awards-2012) has already started.

Please take a look, vote and hopefully your choice would win the poll.

naruto-niichan
October 31, 2012, 10:58 AM
The last round of the Community Awards Voting (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/1037-Community-Awards-2012) has started three days ago and we really need more people giving their vote! Please go ahead guys and help to make this an awesome finish :blai

Sonikku
November 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
Chapter 0 of Aoi Sekai no Chūshin de.

http://oab.sakura.ne.jp/gia/story/0/page1a.htm

(Anybody interested in translating this?)

Doraku
January 02, 2013, 06:05 PM
I just want to remind you in general: please, don't let the discussion on this section become very off topic. Even though I notice that the increase of activities on this section is very good for MH, I'm quite disappointed because some of the users are discussing more about something else and less about the manga. Keep in mind that we as staff and me in particular are/is not a strict enforcer of one-liner rule. We also consider many things before deleting your post: whether your thoughts are really cannot be expanded into more than one line, or whether you're a senior member here and so on.

Second point is that giving away RAW Chapters link is something I would consider generally as an acceptable action. But, I prefer if you could give additional comments beside giving links, since it may contribute to the discussion.

---------- Post added December 17, 2012 at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was December 14, 2012 at 01:40 AM ----------

Please participate! :)

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn167/goldb/an122_zpsb9a8629f.png (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/931-Manga-and-Anime-Awards)

---------- Post added January 03, 2013 at 06:05 AM ---------- Previous post was December 17, 2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

cast your votes in the Mangahelpers Anime Awards 2012 (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/931-Second-Annual-Anime-Awards)!

Cupid
February 07, 2013, 06:48 PM
:luv I AM FLYING AROUND MH LOOKING FOR LOVE PLEASE JOIN HERE (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/81372-%E2%99%A5-Cupid-s-2013-mission-of-love!-%E2%99%A5) :luv

http://www.holidays.net/amore/images/nucupid.jpg

Doraku
March 03, 2013, 09:56 AM
It has started

http://s16.postimage.org/5hntuetwl/17707.jpg (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/931-Manga-Awards-2012)

I encourage everybody to participate, and hope all of you have a fun time nominating.

ukimix
March 11, 2013, 12:29 AM
Hi there. I just want to invite you to the Collective Reading of Classic Manga Project. We are voting now to select one of these classic comics to be read with all who wants to participate.

20th Century Boys (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/20th-century-boys-r843), Akumetsu (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=397), Ares (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=688), Beck (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/beck-r536), Eden it's an endless world (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=930), GTO (http://www.mangareader.net/114/great-teacher-onizuka.html), Hellsing (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/hellsing-r114), Holyland (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1629), Homunculus (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1525), Hoshi no Samidare (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/hoshi-no-samidare-r222), Houshin Engi (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=229), Kokou no Hito (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=19567), Konjiki no Gash!! (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=301), Nausicäa (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/kaze-no-tani-no-nausicaa-r6760), Parasyte (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=1000), Planetes (http://www.mangareader.net/968/planetes.html), Pluto (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/pluto-r1594), Sanctuary (http://www.mangareader.net/sanctuary), Shigurui (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=2304), Shin Angyo Onshi (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=164), Slam Dunk (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/slam-dunk-r3943), Superior/Superior Cross (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=6685), Touch (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=589), Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou-r1110).

If you would want to read one of them, you can join us in this project. To know the details, you just have to click the link on my signature.

(Re)reading classic literature is part of our current education and life on society. Why not (re)reading classic comics?

Avid
March 11, 2013, 11:32 PM
I'm surprised we don't have a Gamaran category under shounen. It's a popular shounen, and it's actually pretty good. Why don't we? We could have a sub-forum called the Ogame School.

goldb
March 12, 2013, 06:17 AM
I'm surprised we don't have a Gamaran category under shounen. It's a popular shounen, and it's actually pretty good. Why don't we? We could have a sub-forum called the Ogame School.

Hi Avid, there's already a thread for Gamaran here (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/49185-Gamaran-by-NAKAMARU-Yousuke) in the Shounen mainboard.. As for a sub-forum, currently it doesn't generate enough activity in its thread to justify it having a sub.

Easter Bunny
March 21, 2013, 05:26 PM
Hello dear members of MH, a quick post to invite you take part in the Easter Egg Hunt:

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn167/goldb/MH%20stuff/Easteriscoming_zps9f7454a4.png (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2990189-MH-Easter-Egg-Hunt)

Click on the image or follow this link (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2990189-MH-Easter-Egg-Hunt) to sign up. Hope to see you there~

EB:vbunny

ukimix
April 09, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hi there. I want to invite you to the reading of Nausikaä of the Valley of the Wind. Here the thread: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2990541-Collective-reading-of-NAUSICA%C3%84-by-Hayao-MIYAZAKI

Azuma
May 01, 2013, 05:43 AM
It's been a few years since I finished the FMA Manga and recently watched the Brotherhood anime because I wanted to see the animated fights. In any case, in the FMA Wiki page, I stumbled upon pictures showing some of the characters a few years after the manga ended. I also read that Mustang, for example, was promoted to the rank of General (i.e. promoted from Brigadier General).

My question is where can I find a scanlation of this epilogue? I read one epilogue yesterday but it didn't show any characters other than Pinako, Elric Bros and Winry and it was simply about them turning Al's Armor into Automail material.

baboysai
May 11, 2013, 11:31 PM
are you referring to this page?

http://manga.animea.net/full-metal-alchemist-chapter-108-page-105.html

Anyway, I wonder if any of you ever read Barakamon?

It's about a talented young calligrapher who exiles himself from the city and decides to stay in a remote island for some soul searching after his art was given a negative critique.

It's so hilarious and I really feel it has a seinen vibe to it, but it's printed in a shounen magazine, so whatevs. Just wanted to share it with you guys. it's still at 21 chapters scanlated anyway.

ukimix
May 23, 2013, 11:42 PM
I wanted to invite you to join us in the collective reading of

EDEN, IT'S AN ENDLESS WORLD, by Endo Hiroki We will begin in May 30th/13. Here the thread for the collective reading: http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2991336-Collective-reading-of-EDEN-IT-S-AN-ENDLESS-WORLD-by-ENDO-Hiroki

FaustXIII
May 24, 2013, 11:18 AM
Shonen Protagonist and their "weak" friend:

Dragon Ball
http://images.wikia.com/dragonball/images/f/fd/Goku_And_Krillin.JPG

Shaman King
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/18405/367541-yoh_train_5.png

Beelzebub
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120924043602/beelzebub/images/5/52/Chapter_173.jpg

One Piece
http://animecentral-manga.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/1.jpg

baboysai
May 24, 2013, 11:45 AM
doesn't work too well for OP. that looked out of place lol.

all the others showed a side-kick character somewhat. But that boy in OP (forgot his name) didn't have a side kick role.

ukimix
May 24, 2013, 04:47 PM
doesn't work too well for OP. that looked out of place lol.

all the others showed a side-kick character somewhat. But that boy in OP (forgot his name) didn't have a side kick role.

He's Coby. Agree, OP is out of place there. I don't see any side kick friend of Luffy.

baboysai
May 24, 2013, 11:27 PM
coz they're all awesome in their own right, lol. i mean, you could say Zorro's his closest, but you REALLY CAN'T SAY HE'S WEAK. :p

ukimix
July 13, 2013, 07:22 AM
ey, pls, anyone can tell me where is the thread for Jaco the Galactic patrolman? Can't find it.

FaustXIII
July 13, 2013, 10:06 AM
ey, pls, anyone can tell me where is the thread for Jaco the Galactic patrolman? Can't find it.

Jaco (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2992229-Jaco-the-Galactic-Patrolman-by-Akira-Toriyama?p=3480220#post3480220)

ukimix
July 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
Hi there. We are starting the collective reading of Vagrant Soldier Ares next August 5th. If you are interested here the details:

Collective Reading of VAGRANT SOLDIER ARES by Ryu Keum Cheo

http://i2.tcafe.net/1201/tr_etc__116019__1.jpg

Hi there,

Do you want to read with us this interesting and already complete manwha? Here we will begin a collective reading of it in next August 7th. So, if you're interested let us know and join the reading and the discussion. Next, you'll find some introductory reviews of this manhwa and, since it's important to get an agreement about schedule and other stuffs, some notes on the rules we could adopt in the reading.

Reviews:

Review written by Zellogan (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/member.php?do=getinfo&username=zelllogan) and edited by Weixiaobao here in MH (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/24156-Ares-by-Ryu-Kum-Chel?p=678904&viewfull=1#post678904)

Title: Ares
Genres: Epic, adventure
Author: RYU Geum Chel
Artist: RYU Geum Chel
Start Date: 2001
End Date: 2007
Number of chapters at review: 109
Number of chapters read by reviewer: 109

Category Ratings: (1-10 scale)

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/art.jpg
Art: 8.5
It's a manhwa, the art is already a little different because of that. The design and the overall style is atypical. It's clean, not overcharged by details, it's easy to figure out what's going out during a fight. It's dynamic and fluid. We can also clearly see the different emotions on characters face. I join an image: the three heroes: baroona, ares and mickael (from left to right).
img149.imageshack.us/img149/3664/aresv02c10001002za5.jpg

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/plot.jpg
Plot: 8
It's an epic manhwa. So, there is war, betrayal, dramatic twists, ... It's kind of a light "berserk". The story is about three abnormaly talented boys who can easily destroy 30 soldiers by themselves. Each of them have an intersting past. Even if it's a shounen, death is very present and everyone can die at every moment. The story becomes darker and darker volume after volume.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/characters.jpg
Characters: 8
The story is about three characters. But the main character is an odd young boy named Ares. He's incredibly skilled and look carefree even if he have a dramatic past. He's the kind of guy who attract others around him. He enjoy fighting (even killing) but he is not emotionless. He look frail and no one can expect him to be this strong. He doesn't seem very reliable either. He is not dumb or smart.

Michael is the second of the three talented young boys. Michael is much more secret and don't talk a lot. He is very proud and he is probably one of the smartest guy in the manhwa. Michael have a dark side and is emotionless most of the time.

The third character Baroona is less important than the two first ones. But it's possible that he becomes more important later.

There are a lot of secondary characters in the manga.

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/theme.jpg
Themes: 7
Everything turns around war, friendship, betrayal, revenge, ... It's about what you expect from an epic manhwa

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/originality.jpg
Originality: 6
The originality comes from the design. The story is not original but it's still very well done. Originality could have been a 10 if there wasn't a manga called "BERSERK".

http://mangahelpers.com/images/reviews/overall.jpg
Overall: 9
One of my favorite manga/manhwa and it's almost unknown (probably because it's Korean). It's problably one of the top5 manhwa ever done. In my personal "top 10 best manga ever", i have two manhwa: shin angyo onshi and ares.

If you like berserk or claymore, if you like epic mangas with war, you need to read this one.

Short note from wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ares_(manhwa)):

Vagrant Soldier Ares (떠돌이 용병 아레스) is a Korean manhwa written and drawn by Ryu Kum-chel. The story centers around young swordsman Ares and takes place in a world similar to Ancient Rome.
The manhwa is noted for fluid, dynamic action and subtle anachronism. For example, Ares wears shoes in the style of classic Adidas.

Where to read:

Batoto, mangahere, mangareader, etc...

Rules for the collective reading

Initial schedule:

Discussion about the rules of the collective reading: from July 29th to August 5th.
Reading to begin in August 7th.

Initial proposal for the rules:
Ares has 207 chapter of 20-30 pages each, divided in 26 volumes of 9 chapters more or less. So here some possible schedules:

fast pace: 2 volumes per week (like 20 chapters per week)
medium pace: a volume per week (like 10 chapters per week)
slow pace: half volume per week (like 4 to 5 chapters per week)

My initial vote would go to the medium pace. It would be a good initial pace to know if the comic is good for everyone or not. After two weeks we could agree on increasing or decreasing the pace (or even aborting the reading if we want to).

We could begin the reading of each new group of chapters on Wednesday and post our impressions, reviews, or simple notes about the respective volume in the respective week.

There it is. Everybody is very welcome to join! :-)

the thread for the collective reading is located here (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2992497-Collective-Reading-of-VAGRAND-SOLDIER-ARES-by-Ryu-Keum-Cheo). If you want to participate post your intention there as well as your ideas about the pace and other rules.

REN KOUEN
August 02, 2013, 11:13 AM
i am hoping jaco turns out to be one of the next big mangas

we need something else to help soften the blow of naruto and bleach ending

Nast.J
August 04, 2013, 12:14 AM
i am hoping jaco turns out to be one of the next big mangas

we need something else to help soften the blow of naruto and bleach ending

I'ts only going to be a 10 chapter series so you're gonna have to wait for something else to become the next big manga succeding to one of the top 3.

FourteenthAngel
August 05, 2013, 11:06 PM
I'ts only going to be a 10 chapter series so you're gonna have to wait for something else to become the next big manga succeding to one of the top 3.

True, Jaco is probably going to last long I think Toriyama said a while that he doesn't want to do another long series like Dragonball. So we are still here waiting for the next of the so-called Big 3.

FaustXIII
August 25, 2013, 10:05 AM
For Tezuka Fans

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaIzVn5j9DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QG9b8iJ2E2w

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2g3xi1ocx0

ukimix
October 04, 2013, 12:04 PM
Ey guys!

I want to invite you to the collective reading of Kongou Banchou, a manga written by Suzuki Nakaba, the same author of Nanatsu no Taizai. In my sig you can find the link to the thread for this reading. Take a look! :super

naruto-niichan
October 25, 2013, 02:09 PM
The final round of the Community Awards (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/1045-Community-Awards-2013) have finally started! :mono Everything will be decided now, so it would be great if as many people as possible make some time to vote in the different categories =)

ukimix
November 23, 2013, 09:22 AM
We are starting this week the collective reading of Samidare and the Biscuit Hammer by Satoshi Mizukami. Mor info in the sig. Everybody is welcome!!

FaustXIII
December 22, 2013, 06:09 AM
https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/images/en/en_main.jpg

Weekly Shonen Jump (International) Manga Competition Finalists! Read/ Vote now! (https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/items.php)

There are two mangas in English. The other 4 entries are in Japanese and Chinese.

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6599/2omj.png

Aikyet
December 22, 2013, 07:40 AM
There are two mangas in English. The other 4 entries are in Japanese and Chinese.
All six finalists can be read in English.

Korean Kuroko
December 23, 2013, 06:31 PM
https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/images/en/en_main.jpg

Weekly Shonen Jump (International) Manga Competition Finalists! Read/ Vote now! (https://mangaaward.shonenjump.com/items.php)

http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/6599/2omj.png

I voted for The Team before Daybreak. It was really interesting to me.

REN KOUEN
January 12, 2014, 06:28 PM
Message to everyone

if you havent tried magi you are missing out

big time

baboysai
January 12, 2014, 08:44 PM
the aladdin manga or something?

REN KOUEN
January 13, 2014, 02:46 PM

yea thats it

i never gave it a chance until recently

but the art is amazing, the characters are well developed and interesting

and the plot is second to none in all of shounen manga

Doraku
January 14, 2014, 08:34 AM

It's an action manga serialized in Sunday, it derived pretty much as an amalgamation of various 1001 night tales. I'd say it's one of the most consistent manga, quality-wise compared to the other popular Shounen titles. Worth your time to if you consider to read it, the art might be "childish" for but the story alone keeps most of its fans following it passionately.

baboysai
January 16, 2014, 05:22 AM
isn't there an anime of it though?

FaustXIII
January 16, 2014, 05:23 AM
isn't there an anime of it though?

Yes. There's a Magi Anime.

Cupid
February 05, 2014, 05:07 PM
http://static.mangahelpers.com/gallery-previews/18305 (http://mangahelpers.com/gallery/miscellaneous-non-manga-stuff/18305)
"I hope senpai notices me..."

Confess your love for your senpai on Valentine's Day! [14.02.2014] (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2995498-Cupid-s-Aim-for-Love!-Valentine-s-Day-2014)

Easter Bunny
April 12, 2014, 07:25 AM
http://i.imgur.com/bN3Slz1.png

:confetti ~JOIN THE EASTER EGG HUNT~ (http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2996351-MH-Easter-Egg-Hunt-2014) :confetti