PDA

View Full Version : Powers Nature of the Yonkou's Power and Influence

kkck
October 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
There has been quite a bit of discusion lately about what role and the nature of the role the yonkou play in the new world. As garp said they reing like emperors but that statement can be interpreted in many ways, which is why I think this topic deserves a thread. That way we also avoid going seriously off-topic in other threads.:amuse

Personaly I dont think the yonkou are actual emperors of the second half. IMO "yonkou" isnt an actual title, but a nickname similar to that of gold roger the "pirate king". In a way each yonkou would be a small Pirate king.

Also if they were true emperors, they would have actual empires, territories and responsabilities. That would be againts what being a pirate means since pirates are supose to be free to go where they please and not follow any sort of rules but their own. If they had any of that, they wouldnt be true pirates, but actual goverments.

I think they are called emperors simply because they can do as they please and no one is able to stop them. Just look at what the upcoming confrontation with WB is forcing the WG to do. They arre currently gathering all shichibukai and probably many high leveled marines just to fight one of the four emperors. This means that just controlling or permanently stopping a yonkou requires a considerable amount of assets which on normal circumtances the WG cant spare.

WB and shanks are arguably at the admiral level, and they have a considerable amount of powerfull crewmembers, each of whom could easily be worth an army. That would also explain a bit of why the world has its current balance between yonkou, marines and shichibukai.

In a way, the yonkou live in anarchy and no one is able to do a thing about it which is why they are called emperors.

vinsky
October 15, 2008, 11:02 PM
@kkck
i agree with him.... so one can stop Yonkou.... but my argrument was think that some1 can handle Yonkou [ No Win or Lose if battle with Yonkou ] Admiral have Logia Power.....
so i think 1 Admiral can handle 1 Yonkou....... but Admiral just 3 and Yonkou was 4....
So 3 vs 4 if battle....

BlackHair
October 16, 2008, 05:44 AM
I agree with u kkck (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1070221&postcount=1), each Yonko are able to do whatever they wish to. Due to their power they are independent from the WG. Basically each of them are comparable to a PK, which represents freedom. But I don't think the title Yonko are limited to only these, like u do.

Gap said: [We call those pirates, who reign like emperors ... (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/432/07/)] If u are reigning, then u have men who are following ur orders (crew) and probably a territory, which is under ur control. Though I said territory I don't mean any kind of land, I'm talking about the sea.

For example: as Enels asked what country the PK rules (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/280/17/), Luffy answered the sea (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/280/19/) and it is known that Hina controlls the sea around Alabasta (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/215/09/). The WG send a blockade (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/02/) to prevent Red-Hair meeting the WB. So basically the WG knew which way Shanks would take to meet WB, since they could estimate it on the basis of the geographical position of their territory (I know this doesn't prove the territory idea).

Im expecting the NW just like the first half of the grand line. The lands are controlled by the kingdoms (Dragons Revolution Force or the the World Government) while the majority of the sea is controlled by the Yonko.

Also if they were true emperors, they would have actual empires, territories and responsabilities. That would be againts what being a pirate means since pirates are supose to be free to go where they please and not follow any sort of rules but their own.
By being captain of a crew, you will have to make decisions, like to go into war/armistice/alliance with X etc. These are political decision and responsibility, which u will have as soon you are leading a crew, which represent a certain lvl of power. You can't avoid that.

If they are governing over their own territory like they wish to (independent from the WG), then they are free to do whatever they want to. Pirate=Freedom. I don't see why the territory idea would go against the beliefs of a pirate.

Luffy is a different case, he just wants to reach the final island, find one piece and to be the next PK. He doesn't wish to conquer sth (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/09/) and probably not to govern a territory.

Anyway thats my idea of the NW and Yonko.

@vinsky, didn't u agreed with the territory idea? (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1070200&postcount=59) Anyway, we have three Admirals (AoKiji, Kizaru, Akainu), Fleet Admiral (Sengoku) and Vice Admiral Garp. While 4 Yonko and probably some of their cremates, who can fight on the last tier lvl.

Absolutio
October 19, 2008, 06:30 AM
I always viewd the phrased "Reign like emperors" to describe them as the top of the "food-chain" in the pirate world in the NW. It just means that they're the top of the top of the pirate world, and thus this honorable title, but I don't disregard the actual territory idea, it might be possible as well.

Razh
October 19, 2008, 06:10 PM
It doesn't have to be their territory. My guess is that New World is filled with powerful pirates, and islands are probably controlled by some of them. It's not something unusual in our history.

I think that some of them are, if not under a direct command with one of Emperors, at least in some alliance or something simmilar. Something like, "we leave you in peace, but if we fight Wg you have to fight with us".
That would just be one example of how it could be.

Not every Emperor has to have a same way of doing things. We've seen Shanks and Whitebeard so far. Shanks has a fairly large ship and a fairly large crew. Maybe he has more ships, maybe not. Too early to say. There isn't evidence to support any option.

Whitebeard has his crew divided into divisions. It's hard for me to believe that someone as old and as famous as him doesn't have a base on some island from which he can supply his ship, especially in a sea in which he is the highest authority, among 4 others.

Shanks too. I can hardly imagine him pillaging coastal towns and villages when his food reserves become scarce, or he runs out of Grog.

Epikhigh
November 17, 2008, 07:25 PM
I think the influence of Yonkou as a collective is really outstanding. Consider WB's crew. WB himself is admiral+ level evidenced by the fact that he fought equally with Gol D. Roger and is considered the strongest pirate in the world. It's also likely he has at least 2 shichibukai level crewmates in Ace (2nd division commander) and his 1st division commander.

Who in their right mind would attack a pirate crew with that level of strength? lol

Assuming that the other 3 Yonkou have similar power levels... Altogether the Yonkou have an incredible approximate power level of 4 admirals + ~8 shichibukai level subordinates.

The Yonkou's guestimate power level correlates well with the WG + shichibukai.
WG = 3 admirals + various Vice Admirals/captains
Shichibukai = 7 ... shichibukais lol.

I think Oda did a really awesome job considering the power levels of the various forces in the One Piece world. It stays really consistent imo throughout the manga unlike some others... i.e. Bleach lol.

Also the Yonkou represent the power level Luffy's crew needs to surpass in order for him to become Pirate King :tem... which imo is why Boa would be a really ideal fit to be a SH ... if of course those questions preventing her surely joining are answered by Oda (i.e. her responsibility towards the Kuja / her sisters)

IMO Luffy's Current Crews future potential is as follows... using the really general power levels Admiral>Shichibukai>Vice Admiral (VA)

Luffy - Admiral +
Zorro - Admiral/shichibukai
Sanji - VA

I think of the rest of the SH crew maybe only Franky and Robin have the capability to reach close to VA level. Chopper's monster form might be close to VA but that of course has really costly side effects.

So in my estimation ... Luffy needs another shichibukai level nakama to become pirate king... or how about an ACTUAL Shichibukai - Boa Hancock LOL.

bittman
November 17, 2008, 07:56 PM
Can't wait until we see a Yonkou who isn't Shanks or Whitebeard. Because let's face it, the range of power in the Shichibukai is huge, so why wouldn't it be for the Yonkou? I stoically believe Whitebeard is the strongest Yonkou whilst Shanks is just a strong Yonkou, but the other two will be of a much lower level which is more comparable to a mid-tier Shichibukai.

Think of it in terms of plot, and it works out. They can't have all the final bosses being Yonkou can they? How would you feel if all the Yonkou where greater than Admiral's or Shichibukai, but then Luffy goes from beating a Yonkou to struggling enormously against Kizaru?

NoLimit89
September 21, 2009, 08:20 AM
This brings up a new question for me.

WILL USOPP, EVER BECOME SHICHIBUKAI LEVEL!?

This question is not out of the blue but seeing as how WB's 1st, 2nd and 3rd division are like Shichibukai level+ as seen by how Marco and Jozu are able to match Kizaru and Akainu respectively, it's making me think, maybe Shank's first mate and Usopp's dad are also strong enough to be considered Shichbukai level.

That being said, Usopp's dream is to become a strong warrior of the sea and I think in all good stories, it's always awesome to see the son surpassing the father.

So what do you think? Will Usopp ever become stronger than shichibukai level (or even as strong as shichibukai level).

Dr. Vegapunk
February 25, 2010, 02:10 AM
This brings up a new question for me.

WILL USOPP, EVER BECOME SHICHIBUKAI LEVEL!?

This question is not out of the blue but seeing as how WB's 1st, 2nd and 3rd division are like Shichibukai level+ as seen by how Marco and Jozu are able to match Kizaru and Akainu respectively, it's making me think, maybe Shank's first mate and Usopp's dad are also strong enough to be considered Shichbukai level.

That being said, Usopp's dream is to become a strong warrior of the sea and I think in all good stories, it's always awesome to see the son surpassing the father.

So what do you think? Will Usopp ever become stronger than shichibukai level (or even as strong as shichibukai level).

God that would be awesome, Usopp actually living out his fantasy as the Sniper King!!

DARK
February 25, 2010, 10:32 PM
It is easy to say that right now, WB's power far exceeds the strength of the Admiral level. As of the latest chapter, WB completely defeated Akainu in battle.
We only know so much about the other Yonkous' strengths, but it is likely to conclude that they are as strong if not stronger than the Shichibukai. Kaidou utterly defeated Gecko Moria and his crew in the New World. Shanks was said to be a rival to Mihawk, the world's greatest swordsman. Although the latter feels that his opponent has gotten weaker since the loss of his arm, Shanks was still able to block a punch from Whitebeard, another Yonkou.
In addition, there is still that completely unnamed Yonkou that we don't know about. It is likely to conclude that the Yonkou, as an entire organization, rivals if not surpasses the strength of both the Shichibukai pirates and the Admirals. Sengoku, the Fleet Admiral, was afraid of Whitebeard's power, claiming the latter has the power "to destroy the entire world."

Moses911
March 01, 2010, 08:06 PM
sorry but all of you are wrong. A yonkou is probably at the level of 1 and a half to two admirals worth of power. but its not the captain himself that matters, its their crews. Each yonkou has atleast 2 or 3 admiral level crewmates. That's why it take 100,000 marines to take on a single yonkou.

Uriel
March 01, 2010, 11:51 PM
Just a little note here, but if the Yonkous were in the same level of Admirals I think Marines wouldn't have such an issue.

I think they're stronger than that, myself.

kkck
March 02, 2010, 12:38 AM
I am inclined to think a yonkou in general is stronger than an admiral. If the admirals were on the same level as a yonkou then the marines would not have so much trouble with each of those crews. Just pack an admiral, a few VA and that would be enough to deal with them. The problem with the yonkou is that each of them can hold his own against even the strongest of marines and win while also having several crewmembers who are more than capable enough to fight toe to toe with admirals and shichibukais. WB's crew being so numerous was an exageration of this though. I mean, WB in his prime would have given an admiral the fodder treatment and then we have the 16 commanders out of whom ace, vista, marco and jozu seemed at least capable of fighting on par with them (of course it also depends on which admiral we are talking about).

braindamage351
March 04, 2010, 06:44 PM
Whitebeard's top division commanders are as strong as admirals, and he stomped Akainu horribly (he wouldn't have been scratched by his follow-up attack if he was healthy, even if he was still old and over the hill. He only got touched because he was so close to death). The other yonkou will be weaker than Whitebeard, but they're clearly still stronger than admirals. Otherwise what's the point? If Shanks was really just a swordsman weaker than Mihawk he'd be indistinguishable from Vista. Shanks could probably crush Blackbeard just as easily as whitebeard did.

Uriel
March 05, 2010, 12:30 PM
I DOUBT the other Yonkous are weaker than Whitebeard. After all, Shanks equals the power of him and we don't know nothing about the other two.
Kaidou is strong enough to scare Gecko Moria and there is another one who is kinda missing of the papers right now.

But weaker? No, impossible.

goldb
March 09, 2010, 07:26 AM
In a one on one fight WB is the strongest man in the world, that much is known. When you compare each younkou's pirate crew, then I'd have to think they're pretty even. I'd think if Shanks' crew had join WB in the war, there woulda have been a lot more casualties on the marines side. I don't think they have particular territories in the NW but islands that other pirates won't approach because they known it's under that younkou's influence, maybe similar to how FI is under WBs protection. Maybe. I really can't wait to see it

Uriel
March 09, 2010, 08:27 AM
In a one on one fight WB is the strongest man in the world, that much is known. When you compare each younkou's pirate crew, then I'd have to think they're pretty even. I'd think if Shanks' crew had join WB in the war, there woulda have been a lot more casualties on the marines side. I don't think they have particular territories in the NW but islands that other pirates won't approach because they known it's under that younkou's influence, maybe similar to how FI is under WBs protection. Maybe. I really can't wait to see it
Shanks JOINED WB, He stopped Kaidou in the sea that was aiming to stop Whitebeard. So there you go.

goldb
March 09, 2010, 10:09 AM
Obviously you didn't read my post properly, I meant the war; marineford. I know Shanks intercepted Kaidou( which makes me also wonder if he's okay?) When he was trying to take out WB.

Uriel
March 09, 2010, 11:35 AM
Obviously you didn't read my post properly, I meant the war; marineford. I know Shanks intercepted Kaidou( which makes me also wonder if he's okay?) When he was trying to take out WB.
Oh, yup, I misread. Sorry then.

superman97
March 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think the Yonkou are pirates more powerful then a single admiral, with crews to go with it. I also think Yonkou crews as a whole are all to powerful to be captured. For example Whitebeard was killed in this war, but if the world government came after Whitebeard on the sea they would have been helpless against him.

This is why I think people underestimate Shanks. If he is a Yonkou then he has got to be stronger then an admiral. So I don't think Mihawk is more powerful then an admiral.

Poneglyph420
March 14, 2010, 01:18 AM
I think the Yonkou are pirates more powerful then a single admiral, with crews to go with it. I also think Yonkou crews as a whole are all to powerful to be captured. For example Whitebeard was killed in this war, but if the world government came after Whitebeard on the sea they would have been helpless against him.

This is why I think people underestimate Shanks. If he is a Yonkou then he has got to be stronger then an admiral. So I don't think Mihawk is more powerful then an admiral.

Hmm. It's pretty clear the Yonkou are allowed to "rule" the NW, and that head on the marines or WG wouldn't be able to handle any of them...
I'd guess the NW could be a "divide and conquer" strategy by the WG...
Either way the rank seems to denote a notoriety that carries credence to both pirates and the WG. IMO influence plays a serious role in the Yonkou title. At least the ones we have met are charismatic Captains with renown crews.... I'd be most likely if the two we haven't met are equally powerful and respected, with serious crews. Not sure why but Kaidou is one pirate I'm dying to meet... a sinister Yonkou it seems...
(The one who crushed Moria Muahaha!!)

Now we have to figure out who's who and why no one has reached Raftel?? Or do they even want to???? :amuse

Uriel
March 14, 2010, 12:50 PM
Now we have to figure out who's who and why no one has reached Raftel?? Or do they even want to????
That's a good point. We don't know if Yonkous are even interested on it. Well, now that Whitebeard confirmed the myth, it could be that they start to move.

Gcat88
March 15, 2010, 03:33 PM
WB was looking for something besides treasure, i think Shanks is the same way, however we still dont know if the other two or looking for OP or if there are other pirates that are almost as strong who are also looking for OP.
There power is emense, now we need to learn its nature.

goldb
March 16, 2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah I've always said I don't think Shanks is interested in the treasure, more the romance and pirating adventure. He just wants to be free and enjoy himself. The other two might be power hungry like BB and want to find the One Treasure because they think it will give them what they are ultimately after.

Franckie
March 16, 2010, 09:44 PM
I DOUBT the other Yonkous are weaker than Whitebeard. After all, Shanks equals the power of him and we don't know nothing about the other two.

All of the Yonkou are probably on par with each other in terms of military strength, but in terms of individual ability, WB is considered the strongest. Shanks parrying WB's attack is not proof that the two are equal in power. For example, Rayleigh parried several of Kizaru's attacks, but Rayleigh is weaker than Kizaru.

Kaidou is strong enough to scare Gecko Moria and there is another one who is kinda missing of the papers right now.

But weaker? No, impossible.

Kaidou and Moria personally fought each other to a draw, but Moria lost the war because Kaidou's crew was more powerful.

Uriel
March 17, 2010, 02:28 PM
All of the Yonkou are probably on par with each other in terms of military strength, but in terms of individual ability, WB is considered the strongest. Shanks parrying WB's attack is not proof that the two are equal in power. For example, Rayleigh parried several of Kizaru's attacks, but Rayleigh is weaker than Kizaru.
I think that we shouldn't lead by tittles. WB got his title because his devil fruit, but that doesn't mean He considers himself the strongest man in the world.
As I see it, if there was any Yonkou stronger than the rest it would be a fact that a PK would come out of them.

Gcat88
March 18, 2010, 09:04 AM
WB has that name because he is the one that is the closest to being PK, the strongest pirate in the world. If there was another Yonkou that is stronger, we would know that there is someone stronger, but that was never stated.

Uriel
March 18, 2010, 10:05 AM
WB has that name because he is the one that is the closest to being PK, the strongest pirate in the world. If there was another Yonkou that is stronger, we would know that there is someone stronger, but that was never stated.
As far as we know, He was the closest to be a PK because He was direct Rival of Gol D Roger.

And we wouldn't know anything, since we don't reach any paper of One Piece's World due the fact that only Nami is interested on it.

Poneglyph420
March 18, 2010, 03:32 PM

While by no means do I disagree, the PK isn't the guy who finds raftel and O.P.??? Being the PK is based on "power" and "battle capability"???
IF I remember correctly WB had no interest in Raftel or the idea of being the PK. But for sure he was the strongest pirate of his Era (Save Roger..)

WB had the capability to become PK in his hands, but chose his own trasure: Family.