PDA

View Full Version : Best Scans

kilza
October 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
Which of the Scanlation Groups provides the best scans? I'm trying to tidy up my One Piece manga by downloading the best scans. Personally, I feel that OPHQ (One Piece Headquarters) provides the best scans but sometimes Blinktopia's scans are better. So I like to hear other people opinions on this.

BlackHair
October 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
I used to collect Null Scans, but they dropped around chapter 440. But since online reader like OneManga (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/)exists, I stopped collecting scans generally.

Null didn't dropped One Piece, they make scanlations from the tanko raws :)

Oblivion
October 18, 2008, 11:30 AM
Null makes VERY HIGH and VERY GOOD scanlations from the tanko's. but coz of that they arent always up to date with the latest chapters.

i'd DL their scans so that everything up to a certain chapter is in correct and good order.

but well null doesnt exists anyway so dont bother....

Absolutio
October 19, 2008, 06:24 AM
The problem is not with the middle to latest chapter, but with the early ones.. Those are impossible to get (a good scan of them).

Akainu
October 19, 2008, 06:31 AM
sadly there are some scans of shabondy arc chapters out there, that are a pain to read due to their blurriness...

Imitorar
October 19, 2008, 08:52 PM
The problem is not with the middle to latest chapter, but with the early ones.. Those are impossible to get (a good scan of them).
Kaizoku-Manga will happen one day, you'll see!

For volumes 1-21, all there really is are the old Mangascreeners scan. From volume 21 through volume 50 (with volumes 26, 27,28, 40, 43, 46, 47, 48, 49, and 50 done as tankobon scans, with more tankobon scans of old volumes coming in the future, and all of Null's new volume scanlations will be tankobon scanlations.) These are all available through IRC, but you'd have to find Null's website and channel yourself. They like to keep their existence secret, which is why they ask that people not link to their site.

For everything after volume 50 (that's chapters 492-518, as of the time of this posting) there are alot of options. In terms of translation, they basically all use Carlos Net's translations, so there's no difference there. However, there are VAST differences in picture quality. In terms of best picture quality, I would say that it's between OPHQ and Binktopia. I personally favor Binktopia, since OPHQ's releases were at one point rather sporadic, while Binktopia's were consistent, and I got into the habit of using their scans. I also tend to prefer their picture quality a little bit. However, there are a few chapters near the end of the Sabaody Arc where Binktopia used alot of different fonts in their scanlations which was a trifle annoying, but they seem to have stopped that now. Overall, I'd say that you're fine with either Binktopia or OPHQ for chapter scans, and should archive (and reread, since they do their own translations) Null's tankobon scanlation in the end. That's what I do, at least.

Absolutio
October 19, 2008, 10:20 PM

For volumes 1-21, all there really is are the old Mangascreeners scan.

If i'm not mistaken, the problem of scanning those volumes is legal and not source-wise, so even if Kaizoku-Manga will happen, it will probably give up the idea of the early scans (as it should, coz none of us want to get into illegal business and lawyers and whats not just coz of a manga scan..) :s

goldb
October 21, 2008, 07:45 AM

For volumes 1-21, all there really is are the old Mangascreeners scan. From volume 21 through volume 50 (with volumes 26, 27,28, 40, 43, 46, 47, 48, 49, and 50 done as tankobon scans, with more tankobon scans of old volumes coming in the future, and all of Null's new volume scanlations will be tankobon scanlations.) These are all available through IRC, but you'd have to find Null's website and channel yourself. They like to keep their existence secret, which is why they ask that people not link to their site.

For everything after volume 50 (that's chapters 492-518, as of the time of this posting) there are alot of options. In terms of translation, they basically all use Carlos Net's translations, so there's no difference there. However, there are VAST differences in picture quality. In terms of best picture quality, I would say that it's between OPHQ and Binktopia. I personally favor Binktopia, since OPHQ's releases were at one point rather sporadic, while Binktopia's were consistent, and I got into the habit of using their scans. I also tend to prefer their picture quality a little bit. However, there are a few chapters near the end of the Sabaody Arc where Binktopia used alot of different fonts in their scanlations which was a trifle annoying, but they seem to have stopped that now. Overall, I'd say that you're fine with either Binktopia or OPHQ for chapter scans, and should archive (and reread, since they do their own translations) Null's tankobon scanlation in the end. That's what I do, at least.

i agree with you about Null's tankobon, the last one i have from them is vol.50. i found a raw of vol.51 somewhere on the net, so i'm guessing they already have their hands on that and are getting it done.

for me personally, Binktopia have the best scans; I know OPHQ are good but Binktopia's scans are very sharp...the only is sometimes they use too many fonts and that kinda distracts me when I'm reading. Currently I have their team are very busy with their own everyday lives and so I still ain't got 518 from them yet and I'm waiting...

hatsuharupeace
October 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
I think 518 will be out soon by Binktopia, just a feeling I've got. ;) But yeah, Binktopia are the highest quality speed-scans out there right now, though OPHQ are the ones to go for your HQ, archiving scanlations, after you've read the Bink ones, of course.

About fontage, I suppose they use a lot of fonts to express what's happening in the current scene or page; though I also do think that the amount of fonts used really depends on the group, like Basement Scans and Binktopia for example. Basement Scans only use the minimal amount of fonts to allow them to release faster, whilst Binktopia may spend more time on the typesetting and picking of fonts to release a higher quality scanlation.

Heinous
April 28, 2009, 12:43 PM
If anyone has LINKS to HQ scans please pm me...

I'll DL them then reupload for everyone
see here
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1310990#post1310990