PDA

View Full Version : Review Neo's Review One Piece Chapter 519

neomaster121
October 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
Well after a week break, one piece is back to its weekly release, 2 weeks ago we were left with luffy faced with the 2 sisters more fighting was imminent. Also luffy was determined after witnessing so many things which went against everything Luffy believed in.

Training begins

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-18.jpg

Well the with the arrival of the CP9 back in their homeland they begin training their children. I can’t help but see this as a forecast as to what the strawhat crew will be doing, training and getting stronger for the future meeting, still children compared to the adults in the new world.

The Lies Continue
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-18.jpg

The two sisters are revealed to be devil fruit users both zoan types modelled after snakes of different species. Luffy not knowing the stories of the amazon trio, has yet to realise that the women of this island have been lied to. Oda is really keeping this lie going well keeping both luffy and the islanders in the dark. I guess it’s a perfect and easy way to get a certain lady, when told the truth to join luffy's crew, but I have to admit this whole mini story without the crew, even though short, seems to be well placed and far more integrated into the story than a random mini story should be. Of course before the fighting starts there are a few things that are needed to be done first.

Safety of luffy’s Saviours of course

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-18.jpg

You tell em luffy. Before starting his fight luffy seemingly knowing his fight could get quite destructive decides to move his newly made statue friends to safety. Thinking that those turned to stone can be reversed just like when he was turned to ice, just one thing luffy... How done stone turn back to natural human flesh. Even with chopper, I think your best bet would be to get boa to turn them back to normal.
Throughout this arc luffy has made comments involving different crew members noticing their uses if they were with him now, there are still a few more members he’s yet to mention, but I think Oda is doing this on purpose to directly show how throughout the months with his crew members, how luffy has become reliant on them, for their special traits rather than power.
One’s he’s yet to mention are Zoro, brookes and ussop.

Oda comparing this situation with that of when he and robin were turned to ice, also makes me think Oda is wanting to give us further more reason to accept the recruitment of Margaret at the very least.

Stepping Up to the big stage

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-18.jpg

Seriously this arena is massive, with only 4 exits, 1 of which leading towards Boa, this arena similar to the Romen battles all that can be heard is the crowd’s blood lust for death. I find it quite amusing that the crowd even though seeing luffy’s raw strength, laugh at the idea that luffy even thinks he can win, again using luffy as a stereotype to all men. Surrounded by sharp stakes luffy is indeed trapped, but that doesn’t bother luffy, there’s no chance of him running away... even if he could.

Battle Begins
And yes we all know Poison is dangerous ^__--

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-18.jpg

Marygold the youngest sister of the 3 begins her attack of course luffy dodging all of her physical attacks, I think this is a first from a Zoan, spitting out poison, heh I guess this reptile class of Zoan is completely different to the mammal types we’ve been so accustom to up until now.

Well after dodging her poison attack luffy decides to counter, but just like when fighting kuma but really more like with sentoumaru his rubber attacks fail, deflected similarly to kuma’s deflection but then hit and hurt by a blunt object. I know Oda made fun of Garp’s fist of love but I now think this was haki. Well as luffy begins to wonder if his powers have stopped, the second daughter Thunder Sonia explains why luffy is weak.

Haki the next powerup

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-18.jpg

Now there’s been lot’s of debate as to haki, and its future usefulness in the series. I’ve said ever since silver hit and cut kizaru and sentomaru starting hurting luffy the way he did that haki, was the way to balance out the power. I always found it difficult to see how Oda would continue to make special weaknesses for all logia types he invents, I thought it'd would have been strange if shanks, and whitebeard who seem to be devil fruit free, have yet to be uncaught by the world government when they have logia admirals.
On this island devil fruit’s or pure power isn’t the main weapon of choice, it seems like the women as an island have discovered haki to be much more of a true representation of someone’s power, well I should say will power.
Also since shank’s introduced haki, we’ve seen it used to knock people out cold, also to bypass devil fruit powers, used on luffy and maybe used by silver to fight kizaru, but what’s intriguing is how Sonia seems to have a different type to marygold. Marygold has just shown that she can use her powers similar to sentomaru able to block luffy’s hit’s pretty much ignoring both luffy’s raw strength and his devil fruit abilities. But sonia seems able to predict movements with her haki. We can see she can’t nullify his powers especially when she smacks luffy straight into the ground without him getting hurt.

I myself like the variation haki seems to be able to bring to the story.

Luffy consequences to speaking to Royalty

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-18.jpg

Failing to get anywhere fighting against sonia and marygold luffy’s frustrations show quite quickly as he has yet another go at Boa who’s mocking him in the stands. Looking down on him so much she’s looking up at the sky hahaha, but by doing so the sisters decided they don’t want to just kill luffy, they want to hurt him emotionally.

Luffy can’t understand why these women are so quick to hurt their own comrades, just to punish him. Especially when they saved luffy’s life he just can’t stand for it. Trapped by marygold and recalling Margaret’s words and idolisation of Boa, luffy is helpless, only able to shout and scream as he has 1 second before luffy looses another of his friends.

Even though the majority on the island don’t care for Margaret’s life it’s great to see one in the stands scream out for her friend just before she’s killed.

The Scream of True Desire

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-16.jpg

Luffy is unwilling to sit back and watch as a friend is killed, he’s been here before when he had to watch every crew member disappear before his eyes. This time luffy’s will isn’t crushed, in fact it’s his will and desire to save Margaret that allows for all his haki to come out in a captain like order, telling Sonia to stop. Even I can feel luffy’s haki, and I’m sitting at home.

Haki of the King

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-16.jpg

As I talked about earlier there does seemed to be types of haki. Luffy is now announced to have haki of a king; it seems to be the same as shanks and silver who both were able to knock out opponents with just their aura. It makes sense now actually, silver was known as the dark king and Gold Rodger the pirate king, maybe these two both had the aura of kings. As I thought 2 weeks ago haki is able to be seen, it’s the only way they can give it colour.

Maybe like Zoro, silver has a demonic aura which frightened the people in the stands into foaming at the mouth and isn’t the direct result of having king haki. I think I’d rather that, as it would be a lot fairer than having 1 type of haki king haki, supposedly unbeatable.

Boa is also revealed to have the king’s haki and reveals that she has yet to master it. Now I’m left with a few thoughts, but my main one is telling me, is the haki of the kings, the strongest but hardest to master? Also it makes me think that this haki is what she uses with her devil fruit abilities to make both men and women let their guards down, just before using her abilities to turn them into stone. It makes sense, as a king you’d think the main ability would be to control the people you rule over aka the weaker willed opponents. Such a haki maybe the hardest one to control. I think if Margaret were to join she could at least teach luffy basics allowing him to master the most powerful of haki power. It may also be why it’s so rare, as it’s so hard to control in the first place maybe there are those who are just unable to bring out their special rare will power especially with no knowledge of it.

Am I seeing Gold Rodger?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/10-11.jpg

Well Luffy seems to have had enough, preparing what seems to be gear 2. But looking at luffy’s face I can’t help but think he must be releasing aura maybe not in high amounts but enough to be able to defeat both sisters at the same time. Luffy just looks awesome and I can’t wait to see the new luffy abilities. I can just see Gold Rodger in that scene.

Rating

8 Out of 10
It’s a nice great progressive chapter; I do wish Oda will give us a bit more explanation on haki and if I’m right in thinking that there are many different types.
It’s easy to think haki may make things more predictable but I think otherwise. It’s the power up which was needed as a base level in the new world bringing it back to our the increased in strength at the very beginning of this story and I’m looking forward to it. Also it's a way to power up ussop, chopper, and nami without them increasing madly in physical strength.

Prediction
I predict luffy will defeat the two sisters and maybe even bring out gear 3 in the next chapter to end it once and for all.
Longer term I think after seeing a haki infused gear 2 and 3, boa will be a lot more different in terms of personality. Even in this chapter we saw a bit of fear in her face and it seems to me that luffy’s mini story is coming to an end I’d say in about 3 more chapters now. I believe boa will tell luffy about ace and his execution.

Well hope you have enjoyed my review and views and comments of improvements are appriciated.

MAX_COLA_POWER!
October 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well, I guess we can all agree that the theme of Shonen Jump this week is: HIDDEN BADASSERY! The CP9 training facility, since they aren't in the WG anymore, they can't arrest them for child labor laws^^. Also, just to prove they're not sexist, they at least have one girl in the group, nice work. Amazon Lily is full of mostly ignorant fangirls. I really want that not just Margaret, but Sweetpea and Aphelandra join even more now^^, FOR THE KINTAMA!, they'll be obsessing about that after they get rescued^^;;. And I like to say, in honor of those who called Sonia's and Mary's Snake Zoan powers, IT'S TIME FOR THE FRANKY WAS RIGHT DANCE!*insert your own name if you wanna boogie*>v<. Sorry about that^^, anyway, I wonder if when we saw Mantra back on Sky Island, it was the first official showing of a style of Haki, since Sonia used Haki to predict Luffy's kick. Poison is the deadliest loogie ever. When Luffy yelled at Hancock, calling her stupid, that was hilarious^^. Wish he had a pimp cane when he said that. Luffy with the Haoushoku, hellooooooooo Gear 4 or Gear 2 not life-threatning. And, with that last pic, I will say this for next week, LET'S GET WILD!>v<

sahugani
October 24, 2008, 06:58 PM
great review, man.

on your thoughts about the reasons why Luffy keeps bringing up his crew and how this translates to the possibility of Margaret joining the crew, i'm afraid i have to disagree. regarding the crew name mentions, i think that in addition to Luffy realizing his need for them, the biggest reason is to keep the thought of the others in the backs of our heads. this arc is merely a sub-arc of the final major arc before the New World. we are supposed to remember that the goal is to reunite the crew before continuing on. the way i see it, this arc is more about development for Luffy than anything else so that he and his crew can face Kizaru and Sentoumaru when the Strawhats reunite.

along that train of thought, i'm also of the opinion that Margaret will not join. as it stands, she has a number of attributes that make her addition unlikely. first of all, her fighting style lacks the uniqueness that each Strawhat's does and is nowhere near the best warrior in the use of it. all of the Strawhats are masters of styles that are either self taught, passed to sole pupils, or are the last surviving student of the style. also, the structure of this arc does not facilitate a new crewmate very well. in a crewmate's intro arc, it is at least required for multiple members if not the entire crew to have a level of familiarity with the person. the intro arc is used to bond the person to the crew. even in instances where the initial bond was a bad experience (Franky beating up Usopp or Robin acting as Miss All Sunday) the bond was there to establish some event that would require a redeeming act before recruitment. even in instances where the recruitment was done with some of the crew elsewhere, there was still a bond. though Sanji was recruited by a sole Luffy, it was after Sanji had witnessed Zoro's pride in the Mihawk fight. though Chopper was recruited before even meeting Zoro, Usopp, or Vivi, the three played a part in protecting the villagers (well Zoro mostly) and were thus connected to the fight against Wapol's forces. unlike these instances, Margaret's existence in this arc lends her no way to bond with the current crew as is necessary.

as for the haki issue, up until now, i thought of the ability to induce fainting as the "natural" form of haki but this new info complicates things a bit. it seems that different people have the capability to use different forms of haki. as you noted, Marygold and Sentoumaru seem to bear a type that negates the force behind attacks. Sonia seems to bear a type that is strikingly similar to the mantra of sky island and makes me think that that power was simply a form of haki as well. in addition, the general warriors of the Kuja are able to use a type that adds force to normal weaponry attacks. the final form though is the one that at least Luffy and Hancock bear. depending on how we assume the Kuja were able to identify it, we can determine if Shanks and Rayleigh also have this type. if the ability to make the weak willed faint is unique to this type and that is how it was identified, then we can assume that the other two who have used this do indeed bear the type. however, if the Kuja bear the ability to differentiate types based on what "color" they sense it to be, then this ability is merely a raw form of intense haki of any type and they could bear a different type. i prefer the latter as it grants more uniqueness to this type and more potential to see the capabilities of the lesser types. i think it is likely that there are certain abilities that can be harnessed by any type and rely on the intensity of the person's willpower and a degree of control to manipulate it. such abilities include the fainting ability (which i identify as a raw release of haki), damage amplification (the simplest controlled use) and the ability to negate logia defenses (which would be a controlled willpower overcoming the laws of nature). the specific types though yield certain unique powers such as force negation and mantra (as well as possibly Zoro's ability to create real illusions such as ashura and the fire from hiryuu kaen). as for Luffy's type, i'm undecided as to what nature i'd prefer it to have. the best idea to fit with Luffy's nature is that it is a type that lacks special abilities but is more intense than the others. however, that seems too simple. i guess we'll learn eventually

as for where i see this arc going, i refuse to see Hancock as a full fledged One Piece villain. though seemingly cold hearted, i can't break the idea that she is a decent person underneath all the apparent selfishness and that there is some secret motive behind her refusal to go to war that is vital to revealing her softer side. personally, i like the idea that she and Ace were an item and she feels conflicted between her loyalty to her people or him. fighting Whitebeard would betray Ace yet fighting to save him would revoke her Shichibukai status and endanger the Kuja. this would explain her hesitance to fight for either side in this war. it would also form a nice parallel with Nyan, who similarly broke the Kuja laws yet returned in shame. anyways, the point is that i see Hancock as an ally who will help Luffy in the end to both learn the basics of haki and to get back to Shabondy. also, this arc also has the vice admiral acting as an enemy to both Hancock and the Kuja tribe as a whole. if he invades the island, it unites Luffy and Hancock in a common cause to protect the Kuja. to top it off, the Kuja pirate vessel is the only way for Luffy to return to Shabondy, so a friendly relationship is necessary for him

omniscientone
October 24, 2008, 07:24 PM
Great review, I indeed got goosebumps both at Luffy's shout and at the final scene of the chapter.. whoooooooooooo. And also, i am just wondering at the revelation that haki could be used to avoid attacks, was Enel's mantra a form of Haki ? Could that have been one of the first hints at haki's uses ?

gfire2
October 24, 2008, 07:48 PM
nice review, that last panel of luffy has the exact expressions roger had wen he was on the execution stand (now thats gold.. pun intended)

i disagree with sahugani abt Margaret not joining the crew (oda should add more females :D), in a sense Margaret is naive abt the world around her and its abt time they added another "stupid" person to the crew (similarly like chooper)

paradoxe
October 25, 2008, 03:32 AM
The last panel really reminds me of Dragon..

neomaster121
October 25, 2008, 05:42 AM
Well, I guess we can all agree that the theme of Shonen Jump this week is: HIDDEN BADASSERY! The CP9 training facility, since they aren't in the WG anymore, they can't arrest them for child labor laws^^. Also, just to prove they're not sexist, they at least have one girl in the group, nice work. Amazon Lily is full of mostly ignorant fangirls. I really want that not just Margaret, but Sweetpea and Aphelandra join even more now^^, FOR THE KINTAMA!, they'll be obsessing about that after they get rescued^^;;. And I like to say, in honor of those who called Sonia's and Mary's Snake Zoan powers, IT'S TIME FOR THE FRANKY WAS RIGHT DANCE!*insert your own name if you wanna boogie*>v<. Sorry about that^^, anyway, I wonder if when we saw Mantra back on Sky Island, it was the first official showing of a style of Haki, since Sonia used Haki to predict Luffy's kick. Poison is the deadliest loogie ever. When Luffy yelled at Hancock, calling her stupid, that was hilarious^^. Wish he had a pimp cane when he said that. Luffy with the Haoushoku, hellooooooooo Gear 4 or Gear 2 not life-threatning. And, with that last pic, I will say this for next week, LET'S GET WILD!>v<

lol well I don't think we will get a gear 4 but imagine a gear 3 punch with haki 1 hit k0 hehehe

well I do think the first real showing may have been mantra but i think shanks showed us a small glimpse, whether Oda did it on purpose for this long term revelation but shanks intimidated a sea monster with just a stare, even after he had just lost an arm. That may have been haki.

lol congrats for getting their zoans right

great review, man.

on your thoughts about the reasons why Luffy keeps bringing up his crew and how this translates to the possibility of Margaret joining the crew, i'm afraid i have to disagree. regarding the crew name mentions, i think that in addition to Luffy realizing his need for them, the biggest reason is to keep the thought of the others in the backs of our heads. this arc is merely a sub-arc of the final major arc before the New World. we are supposed to remember that the goal is to reunite the crew before continuing on. the way i see it, this arc is more about development for Luffy than anything else so that he and his crew can face Kizaru and Sentoumaru when the Strawhats reunite.

Well i'm glad you enjoyed my review ^_^

Well I’ve had a growing feeling as these chapters have been released that we won't be getting a mini story for all the crew members. I knew after the ending of SA arc one person who was in need of storyline development was Luffy, I also thought chopper may have had a mini story of high importance but lastly was Zoro. over the TB and the SA arcs especially meeting gold Rogers first mate, (a position he holds himself in the strawhat crew) I thought Oda would give him a mini arc on how he will overcome luffy's pain and in doing so move himself into another level of power, I also thought Zoro would get a lot more personal development but maybe Oda is saving this for later I hope. This is seemingly becoming more and more unlikely and I guess your probably right as to why luffy is mentioning all these members.

along that train of thought, i'm also of the opinion that Margaret will not join. as it stands, she has a number of attributes that make her addition unlikely. first of all, her fighting style lacks the uniqueness that each Strawhat's does and is nowhere near the best warrior in the use of it. all of the Strawhats are masters of styles that are either self taught, passed to sole pupils, or are the last surviving student of the style. also, the structure of this arc does not facilitate a new crewmate very well. in a crewmate's intro arc, it is at least required for multiple members if not the entire crew to have a level of familiarity with the person. the intro arc is used to bond the person to the crew. even in instances where the initial bond was a bad experience (Franky beating up Usopp or Robin acting as Miss All Sunday) the bond was there to establish some event that would require a redeeming act before recruitment. even in instances where the recruitment was done with some of the crew elsewhere, there was still a bond. though Sanji was recruited by a sole Luffy, it was after Sanji had witnessed Zoro's pride in the Mihawk fight. though Chopper was recruited before even meeting Zoro, Usopp, or Vivi, the three played a part in protecting the villagers (well Zoro mostly) and were thus connected to the fight against Wapol's forces. unlike these instances, Margaret's existence in this arc lends her no way to bond with the current crew as is necessary.

I have to disagree here, Margaret has done what's needed to have a connection with all the other members, she’s saved his life, also he does seem to be quit skilful in making women’s clothing, Sanji will love her just for being a beautiful woman. She Luffy's also released a powerful burst of haki just because she was about to die, all these things hint to her joining.

Luffy is alone but he can't leave this island alone, Margaret and her friends won't be able to stay on this island judging from Boa's personality
As you say this isn't following usual crew mate joining arcs but that might just be Oda being less predictable with his crew mate additions.

as for the haki issue, up until now, i thought of the ability to induce fainting as the "natural" form of haki but this new info complicates things a bit. it seems that different people have the capability to use different forms of haki. as you noted, Marygold and Sentoumaru seem to bear a type that negates the force behind attacks. Sonia seems to bear a type that is strikingly similar to the mantra of sky island and makes me think that that power was simply a form of haki as well. in addition, the general warriors of the Kuja are able to use a type that adds force to normal weaponry attacks. the final form though is the one that at least Luffy and Hancock bear. depending on how we assume the Kuja were able to identify it, we can determine if Shanks and Rayleigh also have this type. if the ability to make the weak willed faint is unique to this type and that is how it was identified, then we can assume that the other two who have used this do indeed bear the type. however, if the Kuja bear the ability to differentiate types based on what "color" they sense it to be, then this ability is merely a raw form of intense haki of any type and they could bear a different type. i prefer the latter as it grants more uniqueness to this type and more potential to see the capabilities of the lesser types. i think it is likely that there are certain abilities that can be harnessed by any type and rely on the intensity of the person's willpower and a degree of control to manipulate it. such abilities include the fainting ability (which i identify as a raw release of haki), damage amplification (the simplest controlled use) and the ability to negate logia defenses (which would be a controlled willpower overcoming the laws of nature). the specific types though yield certain unique powers such as force negation and mantra (as well as possibly Zoro's ability to create real illusions such as ashura and the fire from hiryuu kaen). as for Luffy's type, i'm undecided as to what nature i'd prefer it to have. the best idea to fit with Luffy's nature is that it is a type that lacks special abilities but is more intense than the others. however, that seems too simple. i guess we'll learn eventually

I agree with you here, it's exactly why I think haki won't be limiting to the story, but that’s only if things like making the weak willed faint isn't just for the king haki users, I also think colours have been introduced so people realise that’s the reason why they knew it was the king haki rather than only 1 type can make people faint, If boa's remark is correct and I’m right in thinking king haki is difficult to control then that’s perfect for luffy and the storyline with him developing the new ability.

It be good if silver had the same haki as zoro in my opinion, zoro's recently gone demonic and I’m still hoping that we get some first mate to first mate storyline development, especially with silver seemingly being a swordsmen as well, plus he saved zoro's life.

Haki will also give a plausible way of making nami ussop and chopper stronger

as for where i see this arc going, i refuse to see Hancock as a full fledged One Piece villain. though seemingly cold hearted, i can't break the idea that she is a decent person underneath all the apparent selfishness and that there is some secret motive behind her refusal to go to war that is vital to revealing her softer side. personally, i like the idea that she and Ace were an item and she feels conflicted between her loyalty to her people or him. fighting Whitebeard would betray Ace yet fighting to save him would revoke her Shichibukai status and endanger the Kuja. this would explain her hesitance to fight for either side in this war. it would also form a nice parallel with Nyan, who similarly broke the Kuja laws yet returned in shame. anyways, the point is that i see Hancock as an ally who will help Luffy in the end to both learn the basics of haki and to get back to Shabondy. also, this arc also has the vice admiral acting as an enemy to both Hancock and the Kuja tribe as a whole. if he invades the island, it unites Luffy and Hancock in a common cause to protect the Kuja. to top it off, the Kuja pirate vessel is the only way for Luffy to return to Shabondy, so a friendly relationship is necessary for him

Well I have seen something different in this chapter in her personality and that’s fear, again no one is born that vain so how she became to be like that maybe a story Oda might want to reveal to us later on, I like your theory on her and ace that could be cool as well as showing a new side to her but boa has lied to her islanders and I think she's going to end up a villain fighting against whitebeard

Great review, I indeed got goosebumps both at Luffy's shout and at the final scene of the chapter.. whoooooooooooo. And also, i am just wondering at the revelation that haki could be used to avoid attacks, was Enel's mantra a form of Haki ? Could that have been one of the first hints at haki's uses ?

thanks, well it could have been, both enel island and the amazon island protected from outside world influences, so maybe without knowledge of df they developed their own fighting styles, I think haki though was hinted very early on when hanks saved luffy, making the sea monster swim away as fast as possible with just a stare.

nice review, that last panel of luffy has the exact expressions roger had wen he was on the execution stand (now thats gold.. pun intended)

i disagree with sahugani abt Margaret not joining the crew (oda should add more females :D), in a sense Margaret is naive abt the world around her and its abt time they added another "stupid" person to the crew (similarly like chooper)

Yea the anti chopper, assertive, a women, haki user with no knowledge of the outside world
i can imagine her reaction with chopper, it'd be completly jokes to see

The last panel really reminds me of Dragon..

Ah yea i can see that
but it just reminds me of one of gold rodgers i know something you don't know smiles

Mr.Popo
October 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
Again, nice review.
I enjoyed reading it and mostly agree.

But why is everyone thinking that there exists different types of haki, like there exists different types of DFs?
I more like to think that haki has different use cases, that there exists only ONE haki and you can use the way you like and have the talent to (e.g. you has to be highly talented to master haoushoku)

And i don't think haki and mantra are related. I think of mantra as some sort of telepathy whereas that what Sonia did was some sort of haki sensing in the way bats do it with ultrasound.

bopnoh10
October 26, 2008, 05:34 PM
One thing that I found VERY appealing (and IMO gives this chapter a 10 of 10 score for me) is Boa's statement of her not being about to master the Haki. So...what does this mean?
This means that if Boa is the best user of Haki on this island and still can't master it, even though everyone on the island learns about Haki, then it will take a long time to learn.
More importantly, this gives Luffy a way to GRADUALLY improve in battle through his gradual mastery of Haki. Rather than Gear 2 or 3 where he got an instant power-up that was limited to his arsenal of moves (Gear 2 + thunderstorm or Gear 3 + bazooka, etc...), he will be able to improve throughout fighting similar to Zoro. I think that this is very promising and a masterful way to both improve Luffy's abilities and to indirectly answer the questions many fans were asking, "what is the next gear?" The next power-up isn't a gear.
The best part about this chapter is that since different Haki's have different strengths, we'll get to see the entire strawhat crew get gradual powerups that are specific for their personality or haki.

Haki is a great idea and Oda has incorporated it masterfully. It will lead to more and better battles for the strawhat members other than the big 3: Luffy, Zoro and Sanji and will add more depth to each character. Plus Oda will be able to add more powers to each character due to their different Haki's. Finally, we still have yet to learn about Haki completely, how to practice learning it, and the end points of it with strong characters.

neomaster121
October 27, 2008, 05:10 AM
Again, nice review.
I enjoyed reading it and mostly agree.

But why is everyone thinking that there exists different types of haki, like there exists different types of DFs?
I more like to think that haki has different use cases, that there exists only ONE haki and you can use the way you like and have the talent to (e.g. you has to be highly talented to master haoushoku)

And i don't think haki and mantra are related. I think of mantra as some sort of telepathy whereas that what Sonia did was some sort of haki sensing in the way bats do it with ultrasound.

thanks
well the only reason why i think theres different types is because we've seen it used as different types and the way they name luffys haki 1 in a mil suggests others have different types of haki which isn't as rare

well mantra and her haki are very simular in ability i guess thats why it's thought of to be the same, hopefully oda explains this in a sbs or something else

One thing that I found VERY appealing (and IMO gives this chapter a 10 of 10 score for me) is Boa's statement of her not being about to master the Haki. So...what does this mean?
This means that if Boa is the best user of Haki on this island and still can't master it, even though everyone on the island learns about Haki, then it will take a long time to learn.
More importantly, this gives Luffy a way to GRADUALLY improve in battle through his gradual mastery of Haki. Rather than Gear 2 or 3 where he got an instant power-up that was limited to his arsenal of moves (Gear 2 + thunderstorm or Gear 3 + bazooka, etc...), he will be able to improve throughout fighting similar to Zoro. I think that this is very promising and a masterful way to both improve Luffy's abilities and to indirectly answer the questions many fans were asking, "what is the next gear?" The next power-up isn't a gear.
The best part about this chapter is that since different Haki's have different strengths, we'll get to see the entire strawhat crew get gradual powerups that are specific for their personality or haki.

Haki is a great idea and Oda has incorporated it masterfully. It will lead to more and better battles for the strawhat members other than the big 3: Luffy, Zoro and Sanji and will add more depth to each character. Plus Oda will be able to add more powers to each character due to their different Haki's. Finally, we still have yet to learn about Haki completely, how to practice learning it, and the end points of it with strong characters.

ah with Boa it seems like its a mis translation as i've read others saying she was talking about luffy but yea for luffy it would be good to see a gradual increase in his control, far better than a straight up power up

yea i agree with you that haki is a great idea
it stops the manga going in a silly direction of endless power ups, We could clearly see the limits of the crews physical only techniques on tb and SA, now we definitly know the new world would have been too much for the strawhats and watching them enter it with basic haki and get stronger with better control and skills is something i'm looking forward to