PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one bothered by the Anime not showing Shikamaru smoking???

PMCRW
October 24, 2008, 10:40 PM
Frankly i know why they cut it out (the whole we dont want to encourage kids and what not), but that just makes me think more and more that the anime has gone to crap when comparing it to the previous Naruto series. Not only has the animation slacked big time but now they are just chopping up the original story like the amazon rain forest. I know its a minor bit of info but come on it not only shows Shika closeness to Asuma but he does eventually give it up after he fights Hidan.. IDK i felt like venting cause everytime i read the manga i am more and more convinced that it is that much better than the anime adaptation which is sad. I was so excited for Shippuden but man every week its a let down....

Googlez_kun
October 25, 2008, 09:08 AM
i totally agree,because i also dont know how they want to end the fight between shikamru and hidan
i mean how want they make the asuma out of smoke when shikamaru doesnt smoke and how will shikamaru activate the kibakufuda?? with a lighter??O.o
and it was kind of cool,too,when he was smoking^^

adel123456789
October 25, 2008, 09:22 AM
i never carred about shikamaru
but tow words to answer your quistion SINSERSHIP

Shaunlim
October 25, 2008, 11:03 AM
I don't really see the problem here. I mean Shikamaru wasn't really shown smoking in the manga except two parts. One after Asuma dies and another when he killed Hidan. Shikamaru can easily just lit the smoke and throw it to Hidan. He doesn't really have to smoke it.

jebebs
October 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
doesnt really seem like a big deal to me. tbh im glad they cut it out.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 25, 2008, 12:34 PM
They won't show him directly with the cig in his mouth and smoke coming out, but the anime team will do something to indicate he was/is smoking.

bean
October 25, 2008, 01:27 PM
the anime went to shit ever since shitpoohden...Watching any episode prior to the timeskip makes me nostalgic and brings tears to my eyes. I don't see why they went through the trouble of having fillers for so long if they're not going to follow the manga 1:1...if they started right now, it would take them a while to catch up again...

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 25, 2008, 02:38 PM
the anime went to shit ever since shitpoohden...Watching any episode prior to the timeskip makes me nostalgic and brings tears to my eyes. I don't see why they went through the trouble of having fillers for so long if they're not going to follow the manga 1:1...if they started right now, it would take them a while to catch up again...

I don't think smoking can be shown in children shows, must be a regulation or something in Japan imposed by the Government or commitee. They've added some filler which is mixed with the canon, which doesn't neccessarily make it that bad, except for Asuma filler move,. Apart from that they did the fight how it should have been,but they had to do some censorship because its a children's show.

bean
October 25, 2008, 02:47 PM
I'm assuming since it was in shonen jump, they wouldn't have a problem doing it in the anime...maybe different regulations for print and television

Googlez_kun
October 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
its the case in germany
in the manga they publish they dont censor anything,
but in the anime they even censor a smal blood drop ô.ô
so the same thing could be in japan maybe??

Dekker
October 25, 2008, 03:43 PM
Nah. Here in Germany its way worse. You should be happy you guys never saw one episode of the Series. Extremly bad voiceactors, sometimes total mistranslations and they cut out that much that you wouldnt get what is going on sometimes. Realy a great way to shove an anime into the ass ;)

Here for an Example (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte17z5IY1Y)

The most awesome thing is the nice Namespelling. Sasuuuuke, Schikamaru, Saakuura. Omg -.-

Googlez_kun
October 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
yeah they even cutted asumas smoking and if the original text says:Bastard!you're gonna diiie! they change it into :idiot!i'm going to hide you/kidnap you/make you vanish!
so we in germany are punished ^^''
anyway...in part 1 of naruto they didnt bothered to show a pierced haku and a pierced naruto and in shippuuden they dont show how shikamaru is smoking Ô.o

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
Nah. Here in Germany its way worse. You should be happy you guys never saw one episode of the Series. Extremly bad voiceactors, sometimes total mistranslations and they cut out that much that you wouldnt get what is going on sometimes. Realy a great way to shove an anime into the ass ;)

The most awesome thing is the nice Namespelling. Sasuuuuke, Schikamaru, Saakuura. Omg -.-

Always stick to japanese subs. :amuse

Dekker
October 25, 2008, 04:05 PM
you can bet on that ;)

AkatsukiNoTobi
October 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
Sakon/Ukon's VA sucks, and Kimimaro was still in Japanese in his first scene :|

As for the censorship of Shikamaru smoking, I can understand why they'd do that, and I'm not really bothered with it. They'll do something for it.

Razh
October 27, 2008, 04:29 PM

Totally. My first run into Naruto was on RTL2. I could get over voice acting, since Germans do it reasonably well, unlike Poland and some other countries. I feel lucky that in my country subbing is used more than dubbing.
What I couldn't get over was scenes being cut out. Same thing happened in One Piece. Basically, on RTL2, you couldn't see Luffy punching Enel in his face. Just Luffy charging in, and then Enel falling down. Nothing in between.
In Naruto, Kakashi stabbing Haku was shown in the same manner as the latter. That was really frustrating. They didn't even show Kakashi breaking Zabuza's arms. It was Kakashi holding Zabuza in one moment, than later Zabuza running with a kunai in his mouth with his hands suddenly limp.

About Shikamaru's smoking. I wish it bothered me more. Seems that I don't really care that much about anime. They already butchered it enough.
Thank god I read manga.

Smoking is bad for health, that's true.
But what would you say about throwing knives and shurikens at people, drinking sake, overexcessive eating, slicing people, making your bones come out of your body, suffocating people in sand, punching people, kicking people, stabbing people with electrified palms, throwing needles at people, turning parents into puppets, poisoning people, burning people, throwing snakes at people, dressing characters in dorky outfits, making women less important and so on and so on.

Seems a little hypocritical. :amuse

LanderZ
November 03, 2008, 07:28 AM
In the German thing.... Kimimaro is talking in Jap, with German subs.... wtf? But not always...

Kiba's voice hurt.

Sakon's "Oh Neeiin" >.< Queer as queer gets.... actually, his voice just blows. So does Naruto's.

At least they got Akamaru's right....

Naruto's voice when he got punched by Tayuya is the Jap one....

The_Drunk
November 04, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't see why you guys are making such a big deal about Shikamaru smoking. Insted of focusing solely on two scenes with him smoking, You guys should be admiring the detail in animation. Kishi has stepped up his standards and has truely made his last few episodes movie worthy. You have to admit from the time they started fighting up until now has been better animated than some of the movies. The music and detail to put you in Shikamaru shoes has been awsome. Maybe if you guys watch it again from the point of the fight where Asuma dies you may understand what I've seen.

Ryodraco
November 05, 2008, 11:15 AM
It's not the smoking that is censored, as they freely show Asuma do it, it's having someone under-legal age (in our world at least) smoke that is censored.

Even then fact of the matter is he IS shown smoking. It's just indirect. We see him from the back coughing after Asuma dies. Then we see a cigarette on the ground with smoke still coming off it.

They're just working around Japanese censorship laws and doing fairly well I think. Heck, making you think about the scene instead of explicitly showing him smoking is admirable in a way.:)

A similar "working around" they had to do was with Hidan being beheaded. Clearly in Japan it is against the law for a show with Naruto's age rating to show a beheading and/or a beheaded head. This seems to apply to severed limbs as well. So they had to do a lot of fancy camera angles to make sure everybody knew he was beheaded but at the same time never actually show the base of his neck.

And it's not as if its never happened before. The manga version of Gato's death was a good deal more graphic, Orochimaru's experiment room was more grisly in the manga etc. It happens in other anime as well. In Bleach a character with a stub where she lost a limb had to be shown with a prosthetic one attached, while another character that had his arm cut off in the manga had to settle in the anime for his arm being very badly wounded.

lomami
November 06, 2008, 11:41 AM
Shikamaru not smoking in the anime got sense, because anime has a younger audience than manga and, come on, Shikamaru is (one of the ) character kids would identify the most. Although it's a bit betraying the spirit of the manga (when you can see characters smoking in other/older shonen like DBZ or city hunter) I hail the studio to have improved the quality of animation and the truthness about Shika's mourning. Episode 82 was very good, and if you noticed, when Shika goes on Asuma's grave, he lights a fag offscreen and put it on the the grave. So he puffed on it, but it is subtly shown.

King Mordred
November 06, 2008, 12:38 PM
Shikimaru lit a what?

adel123456789
November 10, 2008, 02:38 PM
Always stick to japanese subs. :amuse
i agree the dub is always crap i mean the only thing that makes it spcial is not stoping now and then to read the subtitels

krazykone12
November 14, 2008, 10:42 PM
Shounen Anime + Impressionable Audience = Not a good idea.... so yeah

raptor02_2001
November 18, 2008, 11:50 PM
i am not understand .. but One piece , Sanji do smoke in anime and manga ... Naruto , Shika smoke in manga but not anime ... that is weried ... Naruto and ONe piece was same anime and rated for kids ..

OhDearMoshe
November 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
i am not understand .. but One piece , Sanji do smoke in anime and manga ... Naruto , Shika smoke in manga but not anime ... that is weried ... Naruto and ONe piece was same anime and rated for kids ..

Its about the age of the characters smoking. Not characters themselves. As it stands I'm not bothered. They are working their way around censorship laws and trying to stay as true to the manga as they can. Instead of complaining why don't people praise them for doing the best they can in given circumstances. They could have easily just omitted it completely!

patedecarne
November 24, 2008, 09:10 AM
I think the animators are doing a great job: not show Shikamaru smoking. That was a good idea, as we know kids are heavily influenced by these things: Of course they cannot cast Amaterasu or Tsukiyomi, but cigarettes are stuff from real world, thus kids can use it;

Not to mention that Shikamaru smoking doesn't add absolutely anything useful, in the manga the cigarette could be easily replaced by the lighter, and still the drama would be the same...

Kaiser Will
November 24, 2008, 09:24 PM
Patedecarne, you have a good point, actually. But the cigarrette that Shikamaru should smoke represents his feelings for his sensei death, and a wish to avenge his master!

The Flash
November 24, 2008, 11:41 PM
Patedecarne, you have a good point, actually. But the cigarrette that Shikamaru should smoke represents his feelings for his sensei death, and a wish to avenge his master!

Thought we understand that. Some kids who are weak-minded will take smoking as a "cool thing to do", trust me.. they did a good job on not showing that.

llamapie
November 25, 2008, 01:11 AM
Thought we understand that. Some kids who are weak-minded will take smoking as a "cool thing to do", trust me.. they did a good job on not showing that.

Nah, they only did it as lawsuit prevention. There is no viable reason anyone would start smoking off of that and not off of seeing Asuma. The difference is dumb. The only reason is that Shikamaru is still a kid in the anime by legal standing. To me I think it was a mistake. Him smoking was a great great connection in the manga.

Kaiser Will
November 25, 2008, 08:50 AM

Yeah, you are right about the kid stuff, they are very influencied by TV.

Nah, they only did it as lawsuit prevention. There is no viable reason anyone would start smoking off of that and not off of seeing Asuma. The difference is dumb. The only reason is that Shikamaru is still a kid in the anime by legal standing. To me I think it was a mistake. Him smoking was a great great connection in the manga.

I agree with you too.

Both have same reasonable arguements.
But for me the anime have to show at least the first part when he promisse to Asuma tumb that he will avenge him.

Spoonz
November 25, 2008, 01:21 PM
It doesn't bother me and in fact I prefer the anime's way. I understand the idea he was relating to Asuma, but I always thought having Shikamaru smoking was a quick way for Kishimoto to show maturity. It was suppose to be shocking and badarse. A kid doing an adult thing. In the context of Naruto's world since war and killing are adult things and ninja kids participate in them.

There are other ways to show someone has reached maturity. Kishimoto could have made Shikamaru and Ino(since Temari isn't around) have a quick fling to ease their grief. Let's see that get by the censors

SharinganItachi
December 01, 2008, 10:56 AM
I don't care, really it doesn't bother me. Anyway Shippuuden its much better than the manga. The fight scenes are better made.

DarkRyan75
December 01, 2008, 02:04 PM
It does annoy me that they edited out the smoking. I haven't even seen him do it indirectly, just Asuma's cigarette on the ground making Shikamaru's eyes water.

Alas, it's the way things are. Yet they can still show a 13 year old drunk... Then again, I'm not sure about the differences between smoking and drinking rules in Japan.

It just seems more symbolic to me, since Asuma is rarely seen with a zippo, but is always seen with a cigarette.

Raizen
December 01, 2008, 03:12 PM
The smoking acts as a memento. To tell u the truth I really didn't notice it. Really I was just caught up in the action. Boy do they drag it on and on

llamapie
December 03, 2008, 10:52 PM
I don't care, really it doesn't bother me. Anyway Shippuuden its much better than the manga. The fight scenes are better made.

Dude... seriously come on now. -_- The anime is animated of course the fight scenes will be better.

Maphisto40
December 04, 2008, 01:57 AM
Well, I know it bothers me, because I noticed it immediately after Asuma died. I should have known better than to think they'd leave it in, but I loved the symbolism. I just don't know how they're going to deal with the scene when Shikamaru flicked his cigarette to set off the trap Hidan was in. If they use a lighter, I will be seriously miffed.

renrutal
December 07, 2008, 11:49 AM
If they use a lighter, I will be seriously miffed.
Haha, your worst fears were granted.

Honestly, I didn't care. Sure it's weird, but they have very good reasons for that.

Plus that I didn't even remember the kibaku fuda being lit with cigarretes, so yeah (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoYeah).

Maphisto40
December 07, 2008, 12:24 PM
Haha, your worst fears were granted.

Honestly, I didn't care. Sure it's weird, but they have very good reasons for that.

Plus that I didn't even remember the kibaku fuda being lit with cigarretes, so yeah (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SoYeah).

Gah, I know! Oh well... I guess it bothers me so much because it's one of my favorite scenes, so it feels like they screwed with it. I still enjoyed the episode, however. :)

Munboy
December 07, 2008, 02:49 PM
There are always minor changes between manga and anime.

This is just one of them.

NaruHina-X
December 15, 2008, 02:26 PM
Smoking is bad for you, what do you expect? The anime did the right thing, the lighter is a much better reference to the will of fire.

Sariachan
December 27, 2008, 06:06 PM
I was really bothered by the choose to not show Shikamaru smoking.

I loved the courage to show an under aged character smoking, for the very reasons it's a things against the rules.

Of course I didn't liked it for that reason itself, but 'cause seeing that scene was unexpected by the readers, and the shock we felt seeing Shikamaru's smoking reflected the shock the character felt for the death of his beloved teacher and friend.

It created a strong connection, and it was one of the best choice in the whole manga, and people in real life know how much I'm against real smoking.

On another end, while in the anime they omitted such a powerful narrative device while they could have just put a rating warning at the beginning of the episode (I don't know Japanese laws, but with parents' supervision Shikamaru's smoking would have been a scene that children too could understand), they added completely unnecessary scenes with Shikamaru's crying over his loss.

Not only unnecessary imho, but that made the character look out of character not the less. If Shikamaru wasn't making a scene in the manga, it's because he isn't the type of character to make a scene, period.

I'm growing more and more upset with the anime, episode after episode: they are clearly making it for money alone (and not also for money, there is a huge difference), and some good animation won't make me change my mind because what's is really important is screenplay/plot, even in an animated work.

S.I.M Editor
December 27, 2008, 07:42 PM

I loved the courage to show an under aged character smoking, for the very reasons it's a things against the rules.

Of course I didn't liked it for that reason itself, but 'cause seeing that scene was unexpected by the readers, and the shock we felt seeing Shikamaru's smoking reflected the shock the character felt for the death of his beloved teacher and friend.

It created a strong connection, and it was one of the best choice in the whole manga, and people in real life know how much I'm against real smoking.

On another end, while in the anime they omitted such a powerful narrative device while they could have just put a rating warning at the beginning of the episode (I don't know Japanese laws, but with parents' supervision Shikamaru's smoking would have been a scene that children too could understand), they added completely unnecessary scenes with Shikamaru's crying over his loss.

Not only unnecessary imho, but that made the character look out of character not the less. If Shikamaru wasn't making a scene in the manga, it's because he isn't the type of character to make a scene, period.

I'm growing more and more upset with the anime, episode after episode: they are clearly making it for money alone (and not also for money, there is a huge difference), and some good animation won't make me change my mind because what's is really important is screenplay/plot, even in an animated work.

dude, or... dudette lol.

it doesnt make that kind of connection. and i doubt they intended to make it that way. its just that kids watch the anime too, and drinking is more socially acceptable than smoking. a decade ago, smoking was the shit, but now-a-days, its frowned upon. thats basically it. the naruto publishers didnt want to promote smoking. in my opinion, im not shocked, or surpsised, its more like a "oh yeah, they did, oh well" type of feeling for me. cause the anime is dumb, its always been dumbed down cause kids watch it, and cause, well, they wanna make more money. but back in the zabuza arc, they were on a low budget, so they got right to the point, its when they wanted more money and ratings that the anime went rotten.

Maphisto40
December 27, 2008, 08:06 PM

Thank you. That's exactly how I feel about it, but I'm not as eloquent as you. :amuse

Sariachan
March 24, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm against any form of censorship, I'm for right ratings for the right shows/manga/whatever.

But with Naruto, really, there is too much money going around... I'm surprised the manga is still good, actually (for me at least). °_°

P.S. I just realized this thread is really old, maybe nobody would read this. XD

misterchaos
August 17, 2009, 04:56 AM
yeah, i was disapointed, was like too see him cool smoking like in the manga but...

slmcknett
August 20, 2009, 06:31 AM
they edited it in the english version of the manga as well. -_-

DARK
August 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
Personally I could care less about Shikamaru smoking or not because that's just one little scene. Not something to fret over.
Though I am a bit surprised they edited it for the english manga though. I know they are going to censor out middle fingers and heavy blood loss, but cigarettes? Did they do this for Asuma or the Third?
All of this just to prevent our kids from smoking.

Aikidoka
August 25, 2009, 11:08 PM
Considering it was the Japanese anime that did this, I'm very surprised.

When I homestayed with Kyoto families as part of my Boy Scout event, the Kyoto kids we hung out with (16-18 yrs old) smoked and invited us to smoke, and even the parents were fine with it. Of course they could just be an exception, but from what I've seen in Japan I doubt the anime needs to censor something that everyone in Japan has mostly been exposed to by a young age.

EDIT: Realized I sound like I want Shikamaru to smoke in the anime.

I'm mostly anti-censorship, but I can see where the pro-censorship people are coming from as well. The replacement of Shikamaru's cigarette with the lighter doesn't make a difference. I'm just surprised that the Japanese anime did something that I didn't think they would do.

(A bit off topic: if someone starts smoking or (in the extreme) killing people with kunai because "the cool ninja guy did it too", then they've got to be somewhat disturbed already. It wouldn't solely be the anime's fault)

-Ren Boy-
August 26, 2009, 04:57 AM
If they can do it with Sanji then they defiently can do it with Shikamaru

Kuranzyan
August 26, 2009, 07:53 AM
I'm not particularly bothered by the censoring of the smoking, but Shikamaru smoking shows just how much he's affected by Asuma's death. The anime circumvents this in a way you'd never expect the smoking to have happened in the first place if you don't follow the manga. I'd say the animators did a great job in showing Shikamaru's sudden development in character, while keeping the story going smoothly. They don't need Shikamaru smoking a sigarette for that.

Personally, I think throwing the lighter is much more an emotional gesture than the cigarette.

I don't understand why the animators fret about a smoking Shikamaru, something they seem to think that would damage kids' psyche, while combat knives and blood flying all over the screen as if it is something happening on a regular basis just doesn't make sense to me...

DooMinator
September 17, 2009, 12:58 PM
To me, it was one of the saddest moments in Naruto, when Shikamaru enlighted his first cigarette. The anime is good as well, but it lacks the emotion the manga was able to provide.
I am from Germany, many games and movies released here are cut. So I guess I should be used to it, but I really hate something like this. It's not just cutting a scene or removing a bit of blood, it's changing the stroy. It is different from what the author wanted to express. Just like the Sanji-Jeff-thing (the leg cut off to rescue him instead of eating it in order to survive)...