PDA

View Full Version : Discussion General Marines Discussion

vinsky
October 15, 2008, 10:58 PM
B4 some1 make treat "Criteria 4 appointment Shicibukai"
now i want know what criteria 4 appointment Admiral or Captain in marine....
but i want u know that Captain in HQM and Captain in every division or captain whose guard some island or ocean was actually different..........

can u tell me what differents it and how Sengoku appointment Kizaru, Aokiji , Aikinu for Admiral

THX

Razh
October 17, 2008, 06:40 AM
Why don't you ask Oda?

There are a lot of examples in real life. Not all of people on the same positions are capable equally capable or equally good in what they do. You can progress in different ways. You can progress with merits, with good connections, with bribes, backstabbing or you can progress by a simple luck.

bittman
October 18, 2008, 03:46 AM
I got further in my company by waiting until all those who were more experienced than me had left.

I feel real life is a good comparison =P

BlackHair
October 18, 2008, 09:22 AM
Within the marine u have to get promoted to get a higher rank. U can't enter the marine as a Admiral. As we know, back then 20 years ago: AoKiji and Akainu were Vice Admirals and Sengoku a Admiral. Now 20 years later, all three of them are promoted at rank. Probably to get the rank of an Admiral there is a certain lvl of fighting power needed, good work alone won't be enough I guess.

I guess thread was already answered by Razh and bitman :p

Absolutio
October 19, 2008, 06:33 AM
Well.. As everyone else, you start in the bottom.. Then you build your way up.. You get promoted for skills, motivation, capabilities/abilities, charisma, etc. etc., and also by the needs of the organization. And it's the same system of promotion even up up in the Admiral stage. If there suppose to be only 3 admirals, until one of them is promoted/retired, no new Admiral will be elected..

paradoxe
October 27, 2008, 06:01 AM
1) Do all admirals have to be logia users? Is it a requirement for the rank? (Possible foreshadowing of Smoker being a future admiral and Coby eating a Logia DF)

2) How powerful do you guys think Sengoku is? I've seen quite a large range of opinions on this matter..some think he is simply a tactician with no fighting skills whatsoever whilst others believe he is even stronger then Aokiji/Kizaru. He IS a former Admiral so I believe he does possess some skills though to wat degree I know not.

3) Does Dr Vegapunk hold a role in the Marines or is he a part of the WG, separate from the Marines? What about Sentamarou?

Some food for thought..

Dice
October 27, 2008, 07:30 AM
My personal opinion about Sengoku is that he is weaker than an admiral. This is only based on Garp's statement that he (Garp) was stronger 20 years ago. So it's quite realistic to assume that the same happened with Sengoku. But if he would still be stronger that the admirals now than that would mean that he was far stronger than the current admirals when he was at his peak. Since I do believe that all admirals (I mean the three current and the three at Sengoku's time) are on a similar powerlevel that would mean that the current admirals are far weaker than the admirals in the past and so would the new fleet admiral (someday Aokiji, Akainu or Kizaru might fill this spot) be weaker than the current is. The marine would suck some day if it would be that way and it wouldn't fit the "current-generation-surpasses-the-old-generation-thing" that's in most shonen mangas (though One Piece doesn't show it as explicitly as Naruto)

But still I guess he is a strong fighter in terms of power (but not as strong as the admirals right now) but might still play in the admiral-league because of his experience.

About the logia-admiral-thing: I don't know. We should wait what kind of power Akainu has. Maybe that will answer the question or it might still be an open question^^. But somehow I always thought that the admirals only have to be strong and that the source of their power doesn't matter.

About Vegapunk: I think he is part of the WG and of a similar importance than the admirals though he is important because of his acquisitions instead of his power (I guess that isn't something new^^). That's why he has a personal bodyguard (though I believe he has some kind of machine which allows him to defend himself quite well).

Absolutio
October 27, 2008, 08:11 AM
1) No.. Admirals have to be especially strong, and it's just that usually Logia fruit users are especially strong.. But it doesn't mean anything about it being a criterie..

2) Sengoku IS a former admiral => Especially strong. Rather he's stronger than the admirals or not, I have no idea.. It's only speculations..

3) He's works for the WG, but the Marines are also part of WG, so they work together as well..

BlackHair
October 27, 2008, 08:26 AM
1) I believe all Admirals have logia, simply coz logia is usually the strongest type among the devil fruits. But I don't think a logia is requirment to be an Admiral.

2) Like already said, as a former Admiral he is expected to be strong. I believe he is the strongest within the Marine or Garp. No I don't have any proofs, its only speculation, call it "wishdream of a fanboy"

3) VP probably works for the WG. He is probably leading the scientific branch within the WG. Like Sengoku leading the marine, which is the strongest force of the WG. Basically Im expecting that VP will have nothing do with the marine.

Absolutio
October 27, 2008, 06:50 PM
3) VP probably works for the WG. He is probably leading the scientific branch within the WG. Like Sengoku leading the marine, which is the strongest force of the WG. Basically Im expecting that VP will have nothing do with the marine.

What about building and giving them Pacifistas, designing for them battle ships and what's not? If he works for the WG, his work will obviously include in any way the Marines.. Either directly or inderictly.. I mean, if he invents something, if it's usefull for the Marines, it will be used by them..

bittman
October 27, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well blackhair's point was more that Vegapunk works for the government, and though indirectly the marines, not within. I doubt this would change much other than it would give him the possibility of working sides. I expect Vegapunk to be one of those "sacrifices for the sake of science" type of guys, haven't had that villain-stereotype yet.

Also, on admirals having Logias: I hope they all don't. Though I expect Akainu to round out the trilogy with a Logia, I would be just as happy with an over-powered Parmecia or Zoan. Zoan's are already the weakest of the weak Devil Fruits, they desperately need a super-strong guy to boost their reputation because only Lucchi has impressed me thus far.

And Garp doesn't have a Logia, because it would be un-manly for his character.

vinsky
October 27, 2008, 11:15 PM
well well
i think sengoku power is from his goat....
one time Dofflamingo said " do want Buddha cry "
i think it was something meaning about Sengoku power........

in Ohara accident..... Aokiji Aikinu Kizaru was there as vice admiral........
i think the admiral b4 A A K was Gorosei [ just theory ] :)
An Admiral was appointment from his loyality and his power and achievement to marines

paradoxe
October 28, 2008, 06:22 AM
And Garp doesn't have a Logia, because it would be un-manly for his character.

Yeah, but hes not an Admiral.

Razh
October 28, 2008, 08:41 AM
i think the admiral b4 A A K was Gorosei [ just theory ] :)
An Admiral was appointment from his loyality and his power and achievement to marines

One of them was probably Sengoku.
The other 2 could be anything. Dead, retired, demoted.
It's possible that Garp was an admiral, but got demoted or stepped down from this position himself, but I doubt it.
It's also possible that one of the previous Admirals is a pirate now. There are a few pirates so far that were marines before.
Maybe Dragon was an admiral.

Don't necessarily take this as my opinion. I'm just throwing guesses.

BlackHair
October 28, 2008, 10:26 AM
What about building and giving them Pacifistas, designing for them battle ships and what's not? If he works for the WG, his work will obviously include in any way the Marines.. Either directly or inderictly.. I mean, if he invents something, if it's usefull for the Marines, it will be used by them..Of course, his work will be used by the marine, since they are the strongest fighting force of the WG. But they probabaly can't order VP around.

For example: Kuma didn't take orders from Kizaru, since the Shich are working for the WG not for the Marine. I expect similar with VP and the Marine. VP don't have to take orders from the Marine expect if the WG demands it.

I rly hope guys like Garp, Sengoku and WB are non DF user.

vinsky
October 28, 2008, 08:43 PM
hmm.......
@Razh
i agree.... some marines was going to pirates like Admiral "Drake".read the story where Kizaru battle with 3 captain... 1 of them was Drake... i forgot Drake was Admiral or Vice Admiral but i believe Drake have some great position in marines b4 he was in pirates.....
and many more Captain in marines treated to pirates... like in OP Movies where luffy battle with some1 captain [ DF user with Jelly powers ] i forget whose name n his power
sory if i wrong :)

Razh
October 28, 2008, 09:26 PM
Drake is a Rear Admiral. Or rather, was a Rear Admiral.
Rear Admirals, or Counter Admirals in some countries, are in charge of reserves during battles. Basically they are one rank under Vice Admirals.

I'm sure you can find a more detailed explanations on Wikipedia or some other place.

Organizized
October 29, 2008, 07:14 AM
I don't really understand the thing about Captains in the first post, but it's been said you start from the bottom and climb upwards. It doesn't necessarily have to be so. Even at young age, Smoker and Hina entered the marines and were immediately given the position as captains thanks to their DF abilities.

I'm not sure but based on this, technically if someone super strong (Smoker is super strong imo, but seeing how he had stayed at Loguetown all that time he never really took advantage of it) decided to join the marines he/she might be promoted to an even higher rank immediately. Same thing if someone with really good merits joined, they most likely wouldn't have to start off as apprentice or seaman or whatever.

paradoxe
October 29, 2008, 08:00 AM
Even at young age, Smoker and Hina entered the marines and were immediately given the position as captains thanks to their DF abilities.

We don't know whether or not they started out as captains.

Also, there is probably a Marine Academy somewhere, and those who graduate are automatically given a certain rank, like in real life (west point and all tht).

toxun
October 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
We don't know whether or not they started out as captains.

Also, there is probably a Marine Academy somewhere, and those who graduate are automatically given a certain rank, like in real life (west point and all tht).

I do wonder if that place is existed. Coby rise his rank under Garp tuition from helper to petty officer. Garp itself who directly train him. I'm also kinda wonder if that place existed why Garp didn't send Luffy to there, instead he send him to his friend to train with Ace? As you know he was intended to train Luffy into strong marine.

Absolutio
October 29, 2008, 06:30 PM
Even at young age, Smoker and Hina entered the marines and were immediately given the position as captains thanks to their DF abilities.

Actually, they have been given the position of captain after a very short (relatively) period of time after getting into the Marines because of their powers.. But Smoker's atitude kept him from ranking up, while Hina was just fine..

bittman
November 02, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well recently Smoker has been trying to rise up in the ranks. Whoever did that databook translation on NarutoForums translated a line on Smoker which seemed to indicate that Smoker now actually wants the promotions. I'd imagine that, even though he can disobey the marines and chase Luffy to the end's of the earth, he'll only get so far doing things this way. That said, there's little evidence in the manga itself to support this other than the last shot of him which addressed him with the new title of commodore (I think...)

I hope Smoker becomes a Vice Admiral or even Admiral candidate if Kizaru, Aokoji or Akainu are defeated.

TheBlackLotus
November 11, 2008, 11:02 PM
The qualification is still unknown, hard to speculate other than all 3 marines seem to be physically quite powerful. If the logia admiral theory goes through it won't be a qualification, but rather logia users tend to be considerably more powerful than other fruit users. Their elements also have less weaknesses or mortal enemies so it would be a lot harder for an admiral to be taken out, given only one person could be their enemy by coincidence, the odds are not in favor of them losing, so in a way, having 3 admirals as logia users may even make them the strongest admirals ever in the marines.

Does this make Sengoku weak? Of course not. During the meeting between Whitebeard and Shanks, Whitebeard does mention Garp and Sengoku's name while reminiscing about the supposed 'old days' on the sea. If Sengoku wasn't that strong, or at least didn't have a reputation, why would one of the strongest pirates of the past and present mention his name along side Garp and Roger himself? Obviously Sengoku had quite a reputation, he must've been a pretty tough opponent too. While age might have caught up with him, it's possible that Sengoku still has a bit of strength left in him.

DutchPhoenix
November 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
sengoku does not look old though

BlackHair
November 12, 2008, 10:36 AM
sengoku does not look old thoughIts a Manga, buddy. I mean look at Shakky (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/498/08/) :p

MrHim
January 02, 2009, 06:09 AM
admiral name is taken by these 3 animal (blue pheasant, yellow monkey and red dog)...

aokiji - blue pheasant (real name KUZAN)

kizaru - yellow monkey (real name BORSALINO)

akainu - red dog (real name SAKAZUKI)

so, sengoku must be one of them before he is fleet admiral... which one was him??

ps: please merge if there's same thread...

Son Sebbe
January 02, 2009, 06:18 AM
admiral name is taken by these 3 animal (blue pheasant, yellow monkey and red dog)...

aokiji - blue pheasant (real name KUZAN)

kizaru - yellow monkey (real name BORSALINO)

akainu - red dog (real name SAKAZUKI)

so, sengoku must be one of them before he is fleet admiral... which one was him??

ps: please merge if there's same thread...

Who was the Pirate hunter and black leged Sanji, before Zorro and Sanj joined luffys crew?

knivez
January 02, 2009, 12:04 PM
those arent marine titles.. in an organization the position has to be filled.

Imitorar
January 02, 2009, 12:10 PM
Who was the Pirate hunter and black leged Sanji, before Zorro and Sanj joined luffys crew?
You're being a bit bull-headed about this. It's not so illogical to assume that the "Blue Pheasant", "Yellow Monkey", and "Red Dog" epithets are tied to the post of admiral, and not given based on the person currently holding the post.

To answer the question, it seems that Sengoku has been called Sengoku since he became an Admiral at least (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/395/10/), so I guess that the epithets are either given to you when you become an admiral, or you come up with your own. Either way, they appear to vary by each admiral.

DutchPhoenix
January 02, 2009, 12:10 PM
smoker is +- on admiral level but rank kaptain

Imitorar
January 02, 2009, 12:17 PM
smoker is +- on admiral level but rank kaptain
It's true that Smoker said that his attitude makes the World Government keep his rank down (though he's a commodore now, not a captain), but admiral might be pushing it a bit. We've seen a bit of what Aokiji and Kizaru are capable of, and I don't think that Smoker could match that, at least, not yet. Perhaps by the end of the story Smoker will be an actual admiral, or at least an admiral-level fighter, but as of now, that seems to be overestimating him a bit. I would say that Smoker could be called roughly equal to a vice-admiral, which is still extremely strong. Remember, vice-admirals are the ones who deal with Buster Calls, and the ones we've seen so far have seemed pretty strong.

And here (http://www.mangascreener.com/stephen/onepiece/marines.txt)'s a helpful reference guide to the Marine hierarchy.

DutchPhoenix
January 02, 2009, 03:15 PM
i think near the end of one piece, that the world goverment is actually gone, the marines still are there.

and that koby is admiral, and smoker replaced goatman

also im afraid that koby will eat a Devil fruit soon.

ofir271
January 04, 2009, 01:23 PM
there is noargument about the high officers strength, esspecially the admirals. its a must in order to be a true force and not just a title.
but about how they get that strength i have a theory:
remember that balackbeard was looking for that speciphic fruit,and he knew what it was acording to its shape?its kind of strange the cp9 members didnt know what they will get but still...
the WG must have a supply of DV to give to allready strong and loyal officers. i guess its posible they keep the logia ones for high officers.