PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Hoshino's Art Style

rustanddust
August 26, 2006, 09:24 AM
hey you guys! :) its pretty obvious hoshino's art has gone through some big changes in the latest chapters. I'm just curious, do you guys like it or not?

personally, I'm loving it, its much more simpler and bolder, but it flows better and feels more...matured? whats that word I'm lookin for, like the artist has gotten experienced enough to develop a more individual, unique style. plus its nice to see the art evolve in a series. :D it goes nicely with the presentation/flow of the storyline also which has IMMENSELY improved from its first chapters.

what do you think?

destinator
August 26, 2006, 09:30 AM
I always loved the art..even it has changed its still my favourite manga if only the art counts...somehow its really unique for me because I havent seen a similiar manga yet (okay I dont read too many xD). Whatever I like it how it is at the moment =)

Ah and I moved this to the Lab because its not chapter discussion ^^

BlackPearl
August 27, 2006, 01:25 PM
If I must say the truth, I didn't really see any changes^^;;;
When did it change? ^^;;

ttxdragon
August 27, 2006, 03:12 PM
If I must say the truth, I didn't really see any changes^^;;;
When did it change? ^^;;

reread the chaps and then look at the art...
the most drastic changes are in ch82... after ch80 in general there are changes

BlackPearl
August 27, 2006, 03:45 PM
ok thanks.

in my opinion they are both nice in the oldest one allen looks more like a kid while in the newest well in my opnion Allen looks a bit older^^

Ayah
August 30, 2006, 02:45 AM
I miss the old style but I don't hate the new one so I voted "I like both".

eni
September 04, 2006, 06:26 AM
Somehow, in my eyes, the drawing style changed drastically. It was suddenly a complete other feeling from one to another chapter ... as like somebody else would draw it :blink

I don't really dislike the new style, but I wonder why. Every mangaka evolves his style during a longer series, but usually this is a slow process and harder to notice. You can see a sudden change when they get a new assistant or something like that, but this usually won't change the main design that much. Does anyone know why Hoshino took that long break, btw? Maybe an injury, so the assistants have to help out atm? :D *wild theories spreading*

BlackPearl
September 04, 2006, 11:06 AM
@eni: Maybe he (or she wait, is she/he a girl or a boy o=O) I just didn't have any ideas at the moment^^

Oooooorrr…… someone killed him/her and replaced him/her!!! JK JK XD *is stupid at the moment so don't forget that you read the last line.

eni
September 04, 2006, 02:34 PM
@eni: Maybe he (or she wait, is she/he a girl or a boy o=O)
nobody knows^^ -> http://exorcists.sigh.org/hoshino_katsura

Ayah
September 04, 2006, 05:35 PM
Does anyone know why Hoshino took that long break, btw? Maybe an injury, so the assistants have to help out atm? :D *wild theories spreading*

Hoshino DID get injured, hence the long break. I heard it was a neck injury from an accident :s As for gender, I assume Hoshino is female based on rumors of Japanese people who have met the mangaka in person. At least she's okay now.

BlackPearl
September 06, 2006, 09:53 AM
Hiding her gender, hum? Wierd XD *wuold probably do it to*
I bet to that she/he's a female^^

Gold Knight
September 07, 2006, 02:20 AM
The art style has definitely changed - I just reached chapter 77 and could tell even before 80... and I bet eni is totally right, that Hoshino is depending on her assistant team right now to just keep the story going and in publication until she/he can make a full recovery. A shame though. :s The original art was what kept my interest in the story so strong ( hence I went for "missed the old style." )

CreepyxSerres
September 19, 2006, 05:16 PM
Personally, I like both.

The new style makes the characters look much more mature, like a few others have said. Allen looks a bit older, as does Kanda (kinda). Same with Rabi/Ravi and Lenalee. =D I think it was a nice change, since the characters should look older, more mature after everything that's happened to 'em.

The older style is what drew me in, though, so it shall always be my favorite. x3 The old style made Allen look like a kid, which I loved. Haha. Lenalee looked (somehow) more girlish, Kanda more... uh... yeah, and Rabi/Ravi looked more childish. xD

The_Fall
September 20, 2006, 03:33 PM
The style has changed, I think for the better. The characters look more detailed and mature. Just compare Allen forom the first few chapters to now.

eni
September 20, 2006, 04:06 PM
I would say, the new style is more shoujo-like :blink

Ayah
September 21, 2006, 12:07 AM
Shoujo-like? I thought the new style is more shounen compared to the old.

BlackPearl
September 21, 2006, 09:18 AM
@Ayah: I agree.

Anyway is it me or it looks like in chap. 91 they changed the art again??

mariahechidna
August 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
Is it just me or does it look like this newest chapter, 187, was drawn by someone else. It looks similar to how d.gray-man use to look but looking at the characters it felt like someone else is drawing it. Road looks too developed, Jesdavi look actually masculine, I couldn't tell Miki Tiki from his "brother" and Allen's face is now more rounder. I see so much difference in the characters now I just have to wonder. Even in the color pages it doesn't look like Hoshino's skill.... It's missing her subtle touches I'm use to. :( Not to say this new look is bad, its just not what I'm use to.

Could someone else be drawing this? Did her style change that drastically over the course of what, 4 months?

ca12nag3
August 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
Nah its still Hoshino you shouldnt look at the general design artists always got the habit of perfecting it, if you take Road rewind (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/24/11/) and Road ark1 (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/98/07/) and road ark2 (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/120/16/) and finaly :D Road london (http://www.onemanga.com/D.Gray-Man/187/15/). Notice the eyes they change drasticaly every time and yet its still the same artist. ;). The position changed the reference with the mouth and even the hight of the head changed.

mariahechidna
August 17, 2009, 06:06 PM
True, and I understand an artist perfects their art and I know it takes pretty much 4 books or about 25 to 35 chapters before their art stabilizes (and about 20-25 books to change again), but something about this new chapter, it looks so different, and its small things but so many I just had to ask.

Even in books I can see how they progress but if you look at the last two chapters and hold them side by side it looks like different artists--but I tend to look far too in at artists works to learn their styles and niches and this chapter threw me for a loop

Siberia
August 17, 2009, 10:11 PM
It depends, I love Hoshino's artwork no matter how it was/is.

TitaniumChloride
August 17, 2009, 11:05 PM
Despite the changes, it is still definitely Hoshino's art. You can compare it to a recent image she's done as an autrograph for the JyanBANG! show:

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/pa1250241946032.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h95/sakuraxsyaoran/pa1250241355547.jpg

ca12nag3
August 18, 2009, 03:29 AM
Dont forget as well there has been a lot of time between both chapter 186 and 187 Also in order to come up with the new noah uniforms and all she must have done dozens of different angles on paper (full size road! full size tyki!! full size kanda!!! full size allen!!!!) anyways the studio must be littered with drawings. Its not like she draws a chapter out of thin air, she can look over the main designs and then draw them into the story.
Always when there is a dressroom change you get some things different. Its not a crime and it doesnt change but adds to the fact that Hoshino takes her work seriously and that shes an awesome artist!

andrewsungchehau
August 18, 2009, 06:04 AM
It couldn't be other people's work aside from Hoshino sensei herself. Sure they are changes in places but I think its more awesome and suitable for the dark atmosphere in the manga. I'm hoping it can change a bit more into the darker atmosphere which will make it more awesome and cooler, as well as beautiful artwork IMO.

Definitely love her artwork.

Tick
August 30, 2009, 08:21 PM
Its Hoshino, but her stile its changing a little again (its normal, her stile always changes). Shes using less grey on the drawings and more of a "black and white effect", using more shadows (and I think thats awesome ^^). IMO thats the best artstile she ever had.

ca12nag3
August 31, 2009, 10:45 AM
Her drawings are always great and catching, people might not like all the new noah outfits but i find Roads Wisely's and Tykki's pretty good and they are the main noahs, also Lullu havnt seen hers yet ^^.

ketorin
August 31, 2009, 07:36 PM
yes the art work has changed but it also did when there was the previous break. And about the Road thing she might be doing that on purpose since that really isn't Road's true form, Road van most likely manipulate it however which was she wants

Tick
September 01, 2009, 10:33 AM
Yes.
About Road, I think she's better now (before, she looked like a Boy) and now it's really better (IMO).
Her art its aiways changing...

Sydney
September 02, 2009, 01:08 PM
The artwork seems more detailed because she had more time to concentrate on the artwork. I absolutely love the detail...it is much better than when she turns in nothing but sketched work. Hopefully having the manga monthly will give Hoshino more time to concentrate on the artwork.

The style we have now started to show when the manga came back on the last hiatus around March, so this isn't too new. I love this style better than the angular look we've been getting from chapters 138-179 or so. But the angular style isn't bad either.

I've looked a little through the earlier chapters and Zone, and her style has changed so much since those times. I like her style in the earlier chapters too. Actually I like all of her artwork. ^^;

ca12nag3
September 02, 2009, 02:57 PM
Her work is always good but due to the timetable she prolly didnt have time to do it how she wanted.
The last chapter the 50p just got that amount of care she prolly wanted in it and it looks great, not everyone would agree with the new costumes of the noah but they are nicely done.
Try to make a all white outfit work on a figure and youll see its dmn hard ;)

p1xel
September 03, 2010, 07:44 AM
It`s an unique art,I <3 it.Deep black,like really serious seinen:P
Probably it`s my fav style of art from all mangas.:)

Naomidee
September 05, 2010, 09:23 PM
I've loved Hoshino's artwork all the way through--Especially when it's colored.
She'd have to do something pretty insane and drastic for me to ever stop loving it <3

hopeandlight
September 05, 2010, 11:10 PM
I'm finally getting a little used to
at least the 14th is super hot ( someone said the lovechild of tiki and allen- that made all happy inside just thinking about it)
well many different Allens may be good for me, I very indecisive, so I can switch with my mood

the new rougher looking Allen for when I'm ready to brave reality
bishounen Allen for the times I need a bishie to look at
cute Allen from the beginning when I want to think of kiddy times

harmaa
September 05, 2010, 11:18 PM
I really don't see much of Hoshino's touch in the art any more at all. I'm wondering if it's going to be heavily touched up for the volume releases...

I'll probably lose all interest in this series if the art stays like this. Sad, as it's my favorite one.

relory
September 06, 2010, 04:14 AM
I really don't see much of Hoshino's touch in the art any more at all. I'm wondering if it's going to be heavily touched up for the volume releases...

I'll probably lose all interest in this series if the art stays like this. Sad, as it's my favorite one.

Really? I thought especially chapter 198 was remarkable as it resembled her earlier gothic style o.O And I think her lineart and anatomy has NEVER been better :blink as an artist myself I am simply amazed by her talent :D

It makes me sad that the art style itself is enough for you to lose interest in this series (especially since Hoshino's art always changes, ever since the beginning) :( *reads primarly because of the story/plot and then for the art* to me the pretty art is like an extra gift to an awesome story. But oh well, I guess Hoshino cannot please everyone... I'm DEFINITLY pleased with this manga though :p

ying_su
September 06, 2010, 10:08 AM
I'm agree with you, relory. The art this chapter was too awesome that made me think Hoshino-sensei was compensating the last chapter sketched pages (although i'm convinced those pages were due to her deserved weeks of holidays, or so i hope --nothing to do with her health--).

Her art is great considering she learnd a lot of anatomy and improved a lot the characters figures and musculature: this is very important as an artist level.
Also, her drawing style won dynamics: hair, face expressions, clothes and movements. This is very important to catch the readers attention (a great example of this are Obata's works).
Then is the conceptual style: based on Gothics and Clowns: it's still there, never changed: just evolved with more details.
Finally, the characters aethetics: When a series like this is written upon the years the series can easily go out of fashion which is definitely not good for catching new readers. (Ichigo from Bleach has suffered from this recently: a change in his hair style).
Appart from all this is something i always say: Hoshino-sensei as an artist can get bored of drawing exactly the same way forever. But she's still Hoshino-sensei. Most of times, changes will bring us a better DGM.

Did you noticed i'm a DGM fanatic?? :D

tk_rout
September 06, 2010, 11:10 AM
D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103. I was reading LQ/ speed scans of these chapters (90-100ish). didn't like the art. Later I came across whatever's HQ scans ; now reading from them. From those scans , art looks good.
btw when the art style changed ?- like few previous posters mentioned. On side note, mostly female posters are posting here, is it more popular among females ?

Jaymie
September 06, 2010, 12:36 PM
D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103. I was reading LQ/ speed scans of these chapters (90-100ish). didn't like the art. Later I came across whatever's HQ scans ; now reading from them. From those scans , art looks good.
btw when the art style changed ?- like few previous posters mentioned. On side note, mostly female posters are posting here, is it more popular among females ?

The art style changes every couple of volumes. Hoshino likes to experiment and she gets bored easily.

D.Gray-man is generally liked by girls because of the attractive males, but a lot of females like shonen in general. I'm a female, and I grew up with shonen, so that's just what I read.

relory
September 06, 2010, 01:08 PM
Dunno if it's more popular with females (most of my fellow DGM fans where I live are guys ;)), but I guess there are more active females on forums and such, than guys. There are a lot of guys here too though :)

If you're familar with the Kingdom Hearts- and Reborn!- fandom, D.Gray-man has a similar fandom, yaoi-pairings are extremely popular as there are many 'bishounen' here :P And well, yaoi-fangirls(and some fanboys) make themselves heard in every fandom xD

øhrm.. I have also heard that the appearant lack of good action scenes in earlier manga chapters, confusing plot and a main character with a very girly voice might scare some guys away when they start reading? 8'D (quoting my brother here lol he's obsessed with DGM too though xD)

Naomidee
September 07, 2010, 01:01 AM
I like to paint and draw in my free time! c:

And although I don't draw anime ever really, I do have a very high appreciation for it. Out of all the manga I've ever seen or read, DGM is by far my favorite. Hoshino has a style all her own while still preserving a somewhat realistic aspect to her work. Like some have said, she has an aptness for detail and muscular anatomy. Sometimes I look at the details in the character designs as well as the backgrounds, and am in awe! Backgrounds are a pain for me, but Hoshino doesn't let up on hers at all.

She finds a wonderful balance between horror and aesthetics.

And about what ying_su mentioned concerning evolving style. She's very right. Hoshino manages to keep her art modern and experimental. I don't think it has failed her yet and I have strong hopes for her future work. I love the artwork she's doing now, but would be severely disappointed if it remained the same for the rest of the series, wouldn't you? I don't expect the style now to be the same in a year of even 6 months.

Rock on, Hoshino!

saladesu
September 07, 2010, 01:39 AM
Most of the D.Gray-Man fans I know in real life are girls. In fact, out of all of them, there's only 1 guy and that's my brother, who only continued read D.Gray-Man past the slightly slow start to where it became really interesting because I bugged him to do so XD

Also, her drawing style won dynamics: hair, face expressions, clothes and movements. This is very important to catch the readers attention (a great example of this are Obata's works).

ITA. Hoshino-sensei has a very good sense for the dynamics that really make the manga come alive. My only gripe here would be that sometimes she goes a little overboard and there's way too much going on in a single panel, especially in action scenes XD; And yes, Obata-sensei is awesome too :D

D.Grayman's art is nice. I'm around chapter 103.

IMO, that was when her art style appealed to me most. I particularly liked the way she drew the characters' faces then.

I like Hoshino-sensei's art, I really do. Honestly even when I gripe about the changes, it's still a lot better than some other mangaka *cough*Kaitani-sensei I'm looking at you*cough*

Well I hope she keeps experimenting and improving! The plot is picking up the pace too, so D.Gray-Man can only get even better :D

clamche
September 10, 2010, 04:05 AM
I like Hoshino's new style. The characters look more mature, they have grown up a little.
But still I miss her old style - I am nostalgic I think.

Crude
September 13, 2010, 08:41 AM
The new art style is great. If there was a new manga with the same kind of art, I'd probably read it for the art alone. The thing is that its just not as great as it used to be. The art in D.Gray-Man has gone through a lot of changes. I remember that at one point it even resembled Bleach with the long faces/chins and thin lips. I think the art was at its best during the Ark arc. I bought volume 12 recently and stared continuously at the art. It was just that great!

earthforge
September 13, 2010, 09:23 AM
I'm rather annoyed with the art. It would be fine if it was a little bit more compact and detailed. The handy thing with rough art is it's much more complementary with horror - in clean art, it's too easy to get desensitized. I've already had this happen - all of the Thirds scenes didn't bother me. The one time this manga has recently touched me was the rough style in drawing charring people like Alma in chapter 192. I have been okay with everything to chapter 193. Now it's all dull.

Also, the art indicates how much plot can progress in a scene given the panel sizing. The panels as of late have been so big and grandiose, barely any plot can be written. I can understand this for big plot-changing events, but not every single page.

I miss the old style. I miss the old pacing. And I miss the old fans who have been jumping ship because of the hiatus and now these chapters.

13Tsubasa
September 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
I love her latest art style.
However I do agree with earthforge on this:

Also, the art indicates how much plot can progress in a scene given the panel sizing. The panels as of late have been so big and grandiose, barely any plot can be written. I can understand this for big plot-changing events, but not every single page.
This is the part that annoys me as well. For me it's like the chapter has ended so quickly, most parts take so many spaces that the story barely progress and that makes the one month wait unbearable, if it was weekly I would have been fine with it.

jocewin_vdl
September 18, 2010, 05:54 AM
i like those styles both but i like the old style better

candy
September 20, 2010, 08:28 PM
i like those styles both but i like the old style better

KINGDOM HEARTS!!!I love that game!:thumbs back on topic:i prefer the old style. i don't know maybe i just have to get used to this art. my favorite art was from the ark arc.

saladesu
September 21, 2010, 12:03 AM
I love her latest art style.
However I do agree with earthforge on this:

This is the part that annoys me as well. For me it's like the chapter has ended so quickly, most parts take so many spaces that the story barely progress and that makes the one month wait unbearable, if it was weekly I would have been fine with it.

Agreed. She keeps drawing two page spreads or one page=one panel. It's becoming a little like Bleach in that respect. But yes, like you said, it would be okay for a weekly (though Bleach can be a bit unbearable though it's a weekly and like that too) but for a monthly, it makes the story move at a snail's pace. Not to mention that we only get 30~31 pages per month. Standard weekly series get around 17~18 pages a week, so that's about 70 pages a month, twice the amount we get in 1 chapter of D.Gray-Man D: For a more fair comparison, contrasting with another monthly series, Soul Eater, that gets about 40 pages a chapter :/ But then again, Claymore in the same magazine as DGM also gets about 31+ pages.

Tick
September 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
But then again, Claymore in the same magazine as DGM also gets about 31+ pages.

That's the normal average for Jump SQ and for most monthly magazines. Soul Eater also have around 35 pages per month, it just get's more than this because, after the anime became a success and FullMetal ended, it became the main series of Shonen Gangan.
SE also has a very slow story if you read it every month. It's normal, we're just not accustomed with it, because the series was weekly before. Tenjo Tenge is an example of a very slow developted monthly manga. D.Gray-man i'ts just normal, the same thing as always.

ying_su
September 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
I guess 31 is the normal quantity for a "supreme quality manga magazine"...
(See the white text on the big blue Q here: http://ih.fotothing.com/44098.jpg )

deleted
October 27, 2010, 10:25 AM
I don't really get why everyone is so upset with Hoshino's art style! I really don't... =(

I mean- I'm not that great at drawing and so when I see a mangaka's work I'm alwways impressed. I can't recall how many times I wished I could draw like them... And so if I see someone saying: "This magaka's art is crappy." I can't help but be somewhat angry. Those are moments where I practically would ask that person to show me what he can do with a G-Pen.
Those people put a lot of effort and time in those projects and anybody who has already tried to draw a doujinshi knows what I'm talking about.
In my opinion only people with art skills nearly equal to a normal mangaka should be allowed to take such judgement.

For my part I must say that, yes, at first the art was a bit hard to get used to but I have the feeling that with time it will get gorgeous. I love the way she draws the facial expressions. They do look natural to me and to be honest I prefer them to the way she drew them in the "Ark Arc".

For comparison:
http://www.mangareader.net/210-15202-3/dgray-man/chapter-111.html
http://www.mangareader.net/210-47809-11/dgray-man/chapter-192.html

Just wait and see. It will get better. I just hope she doesn't overdo it in her condition. Hoshino-sensei should also care about herself a little. :tem

Moving to the appropriate thread. ^^

Dlanor_A.Knox
October 27, 2010, 02:33 PM
Honestly, I'm beginning to fall in love with her new style...
At the last chapter and Alma's soul... I was like; WOOOOW 0o0 It's so good!

Whatever Hoshino draws, it stays unique and thats something a lot of people faill at ^^

Defade
November 03, 2010, 05:32 AM
I love the way she draws the facial expressions. They do look natural to me and to be honest I prefer them to the way she drew them in the "Ark Arc".

For comparison:
http://www.mangareader.net/210-15202-3/dgray-man/chapter-111.html
http://www.mangareader.net/210-47809-11/dgray-man/chapter-192.html

I'm of a completely different opinion. I felt like her art in the Ark arc was the a peak of her career. The style, the shading, the lines...everything was perfect(especially around the time Tyki fought Allen). Of course, her art in the beginning of the 190s was nice as well, but in the recent chapters(196 & 197) the faces have gone downhill...most of the time I can barely tell characters apart anymore.

It seems to be recovering in the last two chapters since some panels are drawn beautifully(Alma's soul), so I'm still hopeful.

Jaymie
November 04, 2010, 04:19 PM
The art in the ark arc was nice, but it looked flat. Like paper. There was no real depth to it, even if it looked pretty.

The art was at its best in Volumes 18 and 19. After DGM came back it started to deteriorate a bit, but it's getting better now. These last three chapters were a vast improvement over 194-197, which were drawn pretty pitifully.

deleted
November 06, 2010, 03:50 PM
The art in the ark arc was nice, but it looked flat. Like paper. There was no real depth to it, even if it looked pretty.

The art was at its best in Volumes 18 and 19. After DGM came back it started to deteriorate a bit, but it's getting better now. These last three chapters were a vast improvement over 194-197, which were drawn pretty pitifully.

In a way I agree with you. The art was still very good and better than the one of other mangakas but as you said it was flat and also if I hadn't known who draws DGM and someone had shown me that art I wouldn't have recognized it as Hoshino's.
I'm sorry to use that word but in a way it looked somewhat "mainstream". That has by far not to be something bad but with her art now I have the feeling that I'd recognize it anywhere just like with a signature or a fingerprint.

The art of the Ark arc may have been detailed and very good. But in the last three chapters it has been superbe and moved me more to tears than in the other arc.

nyxem
November 13, 2010, 06:46 AM
i dont rly see any changes :D

mitokomon
January 06, 2011, 06:13 PM
ha ha not seeing any changes would be so convenient for me ^^, her new drawing style bothers me a lot. It feels as if I'm reading a complete different manga so I can't agree with the ones who say they prefer the new drawing style. In the old way I believe the drawing and the story completed each other, the drawings made the concept alive and also helped the series to differ from other ones by making them look 'new' both in story and in style. So basically I completely agree with the things Defade said.
As to the fact emotions being displayed better, I think it would still be possible with the old style, cuz a mangaka captures that naturally as the story evolves and the series continue. My hope it is that she reverts to her old style, which suited the d.gray man more or something else than this one would also be better.

Jaymie
January 07, 2011, 03:05 PM
You can't really revert to your old style. A mangaka's art style evolves naturally. And DGM was Hoshino's first serialized title (she's only 30 years old), so it's completely natural that her art is significantly different from what it was in 2004.

I hope she stops experimenting with her art soon though (Lenalee's hair, Allen's scar, her new habit of using bright, cheerful colors, etc.). I can see DGM lasting for ~40 volumes, and it makes me paranoid knowing that the art could change at any time.

MSofAofCOCA
January 07, 2011, 04:12 PM
personally, i don't have too many problems with the new art style(s). I don't know how correct the series Bakuman is but according to it, Shonen manga in Jump sells better if it is more 'violent'/'boyish' style, which DGM was in the begining. It's true though, the abrupt change between chap. 186-187 and onward, is dramatic. Maybe she used the hiatus time to study up on anatomy and improve. Maybe the switch to SQ brought out her true style, since she now has more time to draw roughly the same amount of pages as she did way back when for weekly jump.

Her new style is a bit more girlish but also realistic. It's true that some characters can get confusing like Bak and Allen and Lenalee + young!Link + young!Kanda but hey, kids do tend to be cuter. Looking back on the first few chapters of DGM, her anatomy improved greatly from oversized hands and feet to more detail.
The only thing that still bothers me, is that some times the characters look like jelly: but it think that's her just getting used to it.

I absolutely love her ability to use water color - the bright colors contrast greately with depth of the series, and the compositions are just awesome!

I think the reason i don't mind hoshino's different art styles is probably because in all the different versions, there's still something about the way the characters are drawn that can only be done by the creator. which is why i don't think there's another artist. Also, I got the first 9 novels for New Years and after reading them, I realized that there was no radical change in styles - it looked as if the art style got 'cleaned up' rather than change.

from this, i don't really understand why people have so many issues with her new style...

Crude
January 07, 2011, 06:55 PM
I don't have anything against the new style, in fact I like it. The only thing I dislike, or should I say hate, is the way Allen looks. He looks way too much like Alma, who has probably one of the ugliest designs. Allen's haircut is just wrong (those sideburns... ugh), his old one was better. Plus he seems to have really dark eyebrows now. I wouldn't mind it so much, except for the fact that he no longer looks like the same character anymore.

clamche
January 10, 2011, 05:50 AM
I agree with CrudeCross - Allen's hairstyle is like Alma's. His old hairstyle was better. And the faces Allen makes during the battles seem to me a bit unreal, with the mouth in such shape.

ZERO PHOENIX
January 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
I preferred Allen's design in the earlier volumes of D. Gray-Man. There are instances in which he does look too similar to Alma, making some of the previous chapters confusing as hell when trying to figure out who is attacking who. I don't think Hoshino's current style is bad, I just preferred the old style better. Much better compared to this new one.

Crude
January 10, 2011, 02:49 PM
The good thing about Hoshino's art styles is that no matter how different they are from each other in terms of quality, etc..., they still come out looking better than the a lot of the art from other manga series :D!

Yuzuki-An
January 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
Hey there! I'm new here ;> Well, I was following forum topics for a while now but my English was (and still is) so bad, horrible and just dead so I couldn't write anything at all. It's hard but I'll try me best, so forgive me my horrible grammar and everything x]
And about a topic.. for me Hoshino's best art style was at the time when Allen lost his arm and till Lenalee's fight with Eishi. I believe this art style was from volume 5 to volume 7. For me it was like the best art style in the whole manga world ;O then the one from Ark arc is my 2nd fav. The current one isn't bad, well, it is good but I miss the old one sooo much. The style from the very beginning was cool too, cute yet sometimes creepy, so different. I will love Hoshino-sensei whatever she will ever draw.. Um.. and I don't like Allen's hair style now ;x It's so not Allen.. just.. just no! ;o

Um, so nice to meet you^^'

andrea1chan
January 18, 2011, 08:43 AM
i prefer the ark arc style it was (in my words) ozom

but the style in the Alma/kanda arc was a little confusing and i'm kinda ok with it now but Hoshino is(mabey) experamenting with her style now and the noses are starting to look a little more like her old style(in chapter 202)

but the Ark arc style will alweys be her best style

Niko_kun
January 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
i prefer the ark arc style it was (in my words) ozom

but the style in the Alma/kanda arc was a little confusing and i'm kinda ok with it now but Hoshino is(mabey) experamenting with her style now and the noses are starting to look a little more like her old style(in chapter 202)

but the Ark arc style will alweys be her best style

I agree with you ^^ But in the volumes 16,17 the style was so amazing! It was so detailed.. i miss her old style ://

Dlanor_A.Knox
January 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
I still like Hoshino's art style, but the thing that bugs me is that the drawing she made at the nico-nico thingy (in the hang out thread) is kinda like her old style...
Sooo wazzup with that??

Naomidee
January 25, 2011, 11:26 PM
I guess that it's just the difference between having an entire month to work on a chapter in the comfort of your own studio and having to whip something up on the spot.

I don't know about you, but drawing while other people breathe down your neck gives me a lot of pressure. And I find that drawing against a wall or whiteboard is really awkward and more difficult that an isle or desk.

She's probably more comfortable with her old style and just reverted to it under the circumstances. Something like that?

Just my thoughts.

Asclepius
July 03, 2011, 04:56 PM
So, i loved the thick lines from chapter 206. But i am a thick line lover. ^_^

I've been reading more good comments than bad from people about the art.
I guess this chapter was faster to decode, but still beautiful.
There are people saying that she changed again. I don't think so.

Jaymie
July 03, 2011, 05:02 PM
I like thick lines too. FMA had thick lines and they looked great. I couldn't imagine FMA with thin lines like early DGM or Death Note/Bakuman.

Niko_kun
July 03, 2011, 05:12 PM
I really like the art style of this chapter. And the beautiful scenes that she mad *like the house with snow, was really nice.

Maybe
July 04, 2011, 07:51 AM
I really don´t know, why people keep on complaining every new chapter, that they don´t like the "new" art style or Hoshino´s art in general. (Btw. this "new" art style has been Hoshino´s style at least since Vol. 20, so it isn´t that new.)
I personally love her art style, old or new (it still looks better than so many other art styles). I even like the recent art style most, her knowledge of anatomy has so much improved since the move to Jump SQ and her inking has improved too.
I also liked the "thick" (I don´t think they´re that thick) lines of chapter 206. They were very dynamic and made it another great chapter. (Only thing I didn´t like was Allen´s face about page 2-3, it looked a bit strange, but she´s ill and so I think it´s awesome that she still keeps drawing)
About Allen´s hair and design I have to say, that I like it much more as it is now. He looks more mature and not any more like a lil´ kid.

Naomidee
July 04, 2011, 11:02 PM
I agree that Allen looks like a young man rather than a child now. He has still been able to retain his pretty-boy image though, despite his maturing design. Hoshino gives us the best from every angle. I love D.Gray-Man's art!!

Niko_kun
July 05, 2011, 05:10 PM
What i like too in Hoshino's art is that she cares about the time, like the lenalee hair. It's growin up, isnt stopped at when she lost it. She wanna show us how the characters can grow up and this makes me really happy. I don't like a story that the main character appear 16 years old and die (or the story ends) with 16. Its boring -__-

Naomidee
July 07, 2011, 06:05 PM
You're right, Niko-kun. She really does pay special attention to time. That's one of the many motifs that have been a part of the series since the very beginning, so I'm glad she takes it seriously.

capricorn
July 08, 2011, 09:52 AM
I find that even though DGM is primarily an adventure type series the action scenes in the manga are very well done. I just love Hoshino's knowledge of anatomy and attention to detail. I also find how she draws the crushes and creases in the characters' clothing to be very interresting and useful in giving us a better idea of how the characters are moving.

perroloco
December 27, 2011, 07:49 PM
Guys.. havent read D-gray in a long time.. But would you guys kindly tell me some good manga illustrations where Allen looks cool? I'm making a sort of collage so I'd appreciate it :)

hopeandlight
December 27, 2011, 08:58 PM
love the covers of ch 182 , 184
http://www.mangareader.net/210-15275-1/dgray-man/chapter-184.html
http://www.mangareader.net/210-15273-1/dgray-man/chapter-182.html

Crude
August 30, 2012, 01:21 PM
Does anyone else find that the art has become a little bit shojo (if only slightly). The lines, the expressions, the page layouts, etc... everything seems more in style with something you'd find in a shojo manga. While not necessarily a bad thing, I was always more of a fan of the shonen-esque style during the Ark arc. I've said something along these lines before, but even at its worst D.Gray-man's art rocks!

(The only I really dislike is Allen's current haircut. Them sideburns don't suit you Allen!)

Bloomerwedgies
August 30, 2012, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I think so too. I agree it's especially noticeable if you compare the current art to the really sharp, high-contrast-black-and-white, angular style of the Ark arc. Things are a lot more fluid and flowy now, and she's giving everyone much pointier features and those really huge, dark eyes. I think it's the change in the eyes that I am finding really striking--they seem flatter and less expressive, almost dull. Considering that the characters are exhausted and depressed, perhaps it's appropriate! Fortunately, we are not into "Rose of Versaille" tarantulashes territory yet. Let's hope the shojo curve doesn't continue that far! *laugh*
I must say, though, I am enjoying the return to her gothy, gloomy-Victorian roots that's been happening lately. The "London After Midnight", gaslight horror took a back burner after the Timothy arc and I really missed it!

Crude
August 31, 2012, 10:54 AM
Reading your post reminded me of the way Allen's eyelashes have been looking recently. It seems like a current trend now to have white haired characters have white eyelashes. Personally I dislike it, it's very distracting.

Googlez_kun
August 31, 2012, 10:55 AM
Reading your post reminded me of the way Allen's eyelashes have been looking recently. It seems like a current trend now to have white haired characters have white eyelashes. Personally I dislike it, it's very distracting.

That trend is pretty old actually. Even Hoshino used it before.

Shaera
September 02, 2012, 09:44 AM
I personally like it a lot! I think she is one of the most best mangakas. I admire her for how she draws all the details so perfectly. Who cares if Allen has become somewhat girlish.... I think the way she draws him is just adorable and I cant wait to see how he looked like in the past!

capricorn
September 03, 2012, 07:48 PM
JUST READ CHAPTER 216, ART= AWESOME

AlphaIkaros
January 31, 2013, 08:03 AM
I like Hoshino's artstyles during the Noah's Ark Arc and Level 4 Arc. It felt like their movements were really swift. I didn't like her style during the Alma Karma arc, it's kind of messy and I had a hard time distinguishing who is who... as well as when Allen left the Black Order, its somewhat "shoujo-ish" and it seemed like it didn't fit for a shounen manga. Recently, her art style had changed, again. I think it's a lot better now and you can clearly see the smoothness of lines in her drawings, specially the hair and the creases in their clothes.

Anyhow, I still missed the "dark" theme/aura she does in her drawings. You can see what I actually meant by reading the old/first chapters and the recent ones :)