PDA

View Full Version : Neo's One Piece 520 Review

neomaster121
October 30, 2008, 05:44 PM
Happy days, early spoilers followed by Thursdays release, can’t remember getting chapters out this early and because of it I can write my earliest one piece review hope you guys enjoy.

Colour spread time

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-20.jpg

Well after 7 chapters this is the second colour spread featuring all the strawhat members. It’s a nice contrast to the previous colour spread the crew are happy and together, and it seems to be up-to-date, with zoro wearing glasses a nice added touch I must say. Banana watermelons, my two least favourite fruits combined, they do look quite tasty and eaten over a nice game of cards perfect, I love seeing the crew like this and I'm looking forward to their reunion.

You do have a point

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-20.jpg

The chapter begins wonderfully with luffy declaring gear second, the people watching even sonia and marygold are mystified by the steam coming out of luffy’s body. The two sisters after witnessing luffy’s burst of haki can’t help but show apprehension in their faces. They talk themselves calm, and Sonia begins the attack. It’s seems like luffy is releasing haki judging from what sonia says, but with his lack of control is it really going to be useless to him?
Well sensing that they maybe starting to loose, Sonia starts what seems to be her ultimate technique but how will luffy fare against it?

Quite easily it seems

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-20.jpg

That’s luffy for you even with little control the influence of his haki seems to have enough effect on the battle, or it could be the plain speed of gear two as sonia says too fast for her too counter. It seems to be the latter, as sonia says so herself followed by luffy who slams her into the ground, seems like there are different types rather than levels of haki as sonia doesn’t seem to be able to use the defensive haki her sister marygold uses.

Over powering Luffy

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-20.jpg

Well after knocking Sonia out cold Marygold makes her move, luffy easily dodges and attacks, Marygolds haki defence is completely useless to luffys gear 2 jet bazooka. I can’t imagine that the strength of luffy’s gear 2 is completely overpowering marygold without any influence of his own haki, I think luffy’s own haki flowing out uncontrollably is helping luffy if only slightly to restore the balance.

Disappointed Sister

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-20.jpg

What a complete turn around from the events of last chapter, luffy seemingly without hassle is dealing with these two sisters just like how they dealt with him a chapter ago. Even with luffy’s haki outburst boa seems to think that her two sisters should still be beating luffy. The two sisters after hearing boa talk react and begin to pull their two strongest techniques on luffy, two attacks which have already failed.

The Power of the strawhat

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-20.jpg

The attack that took out luuci, the sisters managed to stay awake that’s quite good, the double page was just a great scene, the burning flames of marygold and the illusions of sonia failed under the power of luffy. The reactions of the crowd as the two fall before the king (I call him king due to his haki ^__^).
Luffy couldn’t leave it at just that, he tried his hand at tying snakes ups, I hate to admit it but that’s one neat bow lol.

Victory

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-20.jpg

As the flames of marygold seem to burn her sister luffy stands in front of the two sisters claiming victory. Luffy’s smile says it all this fights over. As the two sisters untangle themselves Sonia still burning after coming into contact with her sisters makes her way to the spikes, in her confusion close to falling in. She stops herself but her clothes on her back have burnt away and now reveal her secret. Luffy seeing this quickly covers her back before anyone else see’s it including us the readers.

Luffy’s help

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-18.jpg

The women in the crowd ignorant to what luffy’s doing think he’s trying to deliver a killer blow, even Sonia doesn’t realise at first, it’s up to marygold to tell her sister that she’s at the mercy of luffy. Luffy remembers boa comments and knows how important the sisters want to hide their secret. But what really got me in the whole sequence of scenes was marygold saying that luffy was actually protecting them. How bad is the symbol on the 3 sister’s back which makes her use the word protecting. Man I really want to see it, yet I also want to get more explanation on haki and other events. Oda’s done well in my opinion of keeping the interest in a 7 chapter mini arc secret, something I’m sure that will be brought back to the main storyline, at first I didn’t believe the symbol was a whitebeard pirate symbol, but it’s the only thing at the moment which seems to make sense as to why luffy knows what it is as well.

Tears of Disgust or Tears of joy

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-18.jpg

Well after realising what’s going on Boa orders the women of the island to leave the arena, them leaving is now leading up to some good old revelations probably in the next chapter. Now looking at boa tears and it’s easy to say boa is actually completely happy and moved by luffy’s act, but as I said in the section “disappointed sister” I think these are tears of shame and disgust. I think she hates the fact her sisters lost and also that luffy has cover up for their shame. I think she’s disgusted and I think next chapter we will be seeing screams of anger at luffy and her sisters. Imagine it, your pride as a women warrior on an island of only women to have to rely on a man, it must be stomach churning for a women like boa.
I can also see that it could be he changing to a more normal person but my gut instinct tells me that she’s angry.

Overall Rating

Well a nice fighting chapter, I do admit I’m disappointed with after last week not getting any sort of information about haki, but the chapter was a good build up to what I think should be a great revelation chapter next week

8 out of 10

Great colour spread and great scenes looking forward to next week

Prediction

Boa going to have a scream of hate and maybe a flashback which reveals what’s really on these girls back
Well your comments and views on the chapter are great to read and comments of improvements are appreciated.

abc1233
October 30, 2008, 06:24 PM
awesome review as always. I also think that maybe boa will be angry at luffy and her sisters, but I think that her sisters may even defend luffy because they know deep down that luffy saved them and that luffy is a good person. This could lead to boa turning her own sisters to stone and luffy shouting at boa again and releasing his haki. just a small theory ^_^

MAX_COLA_POWER!
October 30, 2008, 06:52 PM
Awesome Review Neo! I liked the new mythical reference in this chapter, the Yamata no Orochi attack. I was like, DID SNAKE MAN/LADY OROCHIMARU MAKE IT TO ONE PIECE TOO!? I think the basement scans said it best when Luffy used Jet Gatling: How could they expect that 2 snake-minions would stand a chance against the attack that took down Rob-Frickin-Lucci? I'm gonna go with everyone's guess and say the tears are of disgust, just because I don't wanna fall for her Mero Mero powers, and cause she's a spoiled brat. If she REALLY IS moved by Luffy's act, then what will this lead to with Momonga's 2 day ultimatum? Also, since no one here's going to mention it, I guess it's up to me to finally say it. Please don't ban me from the site, ahem, *as Paulie*ZOMG! SNAKE BEWBZ!, thank you.

neomaster121
October 30, 2008, 07:08 PM
awesome review as always. I also think that maybe boa will be angry at luffy and her sisters, but I think that her sisters may even defend luffy because they know deep down that luffy saved them and that luffy is a good person. This could lead to boa turning her own sisters to stone and luffy shouting at boa again and releasing his haki. just a small theory ^_^

well thanks
interesting maybe the sisters could defend luffy i can imagine it with a defence maybe with a sly comment but i don't think it will be of the level we saw with margaret
lol i didn't read your last part and just before i did the exact same thought came into my head, yea that would be quite interesting and maybe forcing her to release margaret and the others at the same time, could be quite fun to see how that played out

Awesome Review Neo! I liked the new mythical reference in this chapter, the Yamata no Orochi attack. I was like, DID SNAKE MAN/LADY OROCHIMARU MAKE IT TO ONE PIECE TOO!? I think the basement scans said it best when Luffy used Jet Gatling: How could they expect that 2 snake-minions would stand a chance against the attack that took down Rob-Frickin-Lucci? I'm gonna go with everyone's guess and say the tears are of disgust, just because I don't wanna fall for her Mero Mero powers, and cause she's a spoiled brat. If she REALLY IS moved by Luffy's act, then what will this lead to with Momonga's 2 day ultimatum? Also, since no one here's going to mention it, I guess it's up to me to finally say it. Please don't ban me from the site, ahem, *as Paulie*ZOMG! SNAKE BEWBZ!, thank you.

lol yeah i had the same reaction thought we were seeing hydra form lol yea well its true but the attack didn't k0 them like it did to lucci but it did do the damage needed
with momonga either luffy's leaving on his ship or boa ship my bets are his with margaret being locked with him (well i'm still hopeing for her to join but it's seemingly more unlikly now just a gut feeling)

omniscientone
October 30, 2008, 08:39 PM
Great review, yeah, like you, I think Boa's tear is more of anger and shame than of thankfulness. But I still don't believe Luffy realizes what that mark is (it might be WB's, but Luffy prolly doesn't know that yet). Its just Luffy being Luffy, and remembering them sayingit must not be seen, and making sure it musn't be seen.

fallou
October 30, 2008, 09:27 PM
Nice review man...But I'm not sure Luffy's been using haki in this fight, cause if it was so, one of the ugly snake sisters would have pointed it out imo. So I'd say g2 was enough: too fast to use movement prediction, and too powerful to use haki defense. Well, at least too powerful for people like the uss. Apparently it's a different story when it's Sentoumaru

LiquidFire851
October 31, 2008, 02:23 AM
Any chance that the tattoo on their backs is that of slaves? Perhaps at one point they were sold as slaves to the royals but managed to escape or something by maybe acquiring their powers at that time.

neomaster121
October 31, 2008, 05:23 AM
Great review, yeah, like you, I think Boa's tear is more of anger and shame than of thankfulness. But I still don't believe Luffy realizes what that mark is (it might be WB's, but Luffy prolly doesn't know that yet). Its just Luffy being Luffy, and remembering them sayingit must not be seen, and making sure it musn't be seen.

thanks
well whatever is on their backs luffy remembers it a little your probably right and hes protecting their back just because thats how luffy is personality wise

Nice review man...But I'm not sure Luffy's been using haki in this fight, cause if it was so, one of the ugly snake sisters would have pointed it out imo. So I'd say g2 was enough: too fast to use movement prediction, and too powerful to use haki defense. Well, at least too powerful for people like the uss. Apparently it's a different story when it's Sentoumaru

yea i guess so, i don't think haki was really effecting this battle but if luffy going to fight boa with her using king haki, luffy gonna have to learn quickly

Any chance that the tattoo on their backs is that of slaves? Perhaps at one point they were sold as slaves to the royals but managed to escape or something by maybe acquiring their powers at that time.

It could be, but what slave symbol has luffy seen before
but if so it'd be an interesting flashback i must say

Leisure_cc
October 31, 2008, 09:24 AM
Great review. I totally also agree with you that hancock would be angry with the sisters and the luffy. Maybe the sisters would be stones too. well, so do you mind me translate your review for sharing in chinese forum. thanks.

Mr.Popo
October 31, 2008, 05:39 PM
well i'm still hopeing for her to join but it's seemingly more unlikly now just a gut feeling
Quite the opposite on my side. I predicted that Margaret will takeover Boa's title as the Kuja pirates, but now that Boa probably has a good side too it might not be necessary anymore.

It seems we are always on the contrary in this point :amuse.

neomaster121
November 01, 2008, 05:14 AM
Great review. I totally also agree with you that hancock would be angry with the sisters and the luffy. Maybe the sisters would be stones too. well, so do you mind me translate your review for sharing in chinese forum. thanks.

thanks ^_^
well ok then as long as you put my username as the original writer n leave a link to the my orignal work

Quite the opposite on my side. I predicted that Margaret will takeover Boa's title as the Kuja pirates, but now that Boa probably has a good side too it might not be necessary anymore.

It seems we are always on the contrary in this point :amuse.

lol yea does seem to be true, well i do think that this arc would end in 10 chapters if so we got 3 chapters left to see who was right be kinda funny if we were both wrong ^__^

RobinotX
November 03, 2008, 05:13 AM
Indeed nice review..

Only my thought is those tears are not from anger..
I think she is really moved what Luffy did. And I think we get a past story of the sisters the next 1 or 2 chapters..
And maybe she will join the SH then.. I keep saying it.. untill somebody got's prove it is not.. and the only one who is capable of that is Fricking Oda.

BTW.. THERE ARE FUCKING SNAKES ON THE SHIP.. sorry couldn't let it go (a)

But a nice review

Xman
November 04, 2008, 06:28 AM
nice and amusing review :>

Just a thing I couldn't understand from this chapter;
When you talk about the Haki, you sound it like an ability or skilled that Luffy and the other people that have it. I thought Haki was something you could say an Aura but I really don't know now if it's an Aura or something luffy use to make his attack more stronger or makes his defense stronger someting like the Gears. Can you at least explain the Haki :/? I did read the previous chapter's review but still can understand it quitely from the information that Oda gave us...

neomaster121
November 04, 2008, 01:11 PM
Indeed nice review..

Only my thought is those tears are not from anger..
I think she is really moved what Luffy did. And I think we get a past story of the sisters the next 1 or 2 chapters..
And maybe she will join the SH then.. I keep saying it.. untill somebody got's prove it is not.. and the only one who is capable of that is Fricking Oda.

BTW.. THERE ARE FUCKING SNAKES ON THE SHIP.. sorry couldn't let it go (a)

But a nice review

Well thanks
well it's true my take on it is anger due to how she was earlier in the chapter and what we've seen of her personality but it might be that she's happy
hahaha when u say it like that snakes on the ship reminds me of the movie snakes on the plane
well i don't think she will join luffy thats one thing i'm sure of

nice and amusing review :>

Just a thing I couldn't understand from this chapter;
When you talk about the Haki, you sound it like an ability or skilled that Luffy and the other people that have it. I thought Haki was something you could say an Aura but I really don't know now if it's an Aura or something luffy use to make his attack more stronger or makes his defense stronger someting like the Gears. Can you at least explain the Haki :/? I did read the previous chapter's review but still can understand it quitely from the information that Oda gave us...

Thats good ^_^
Well when i talk about haki, i'm still undecided but i'm thinking of it as both, the major release of haki is like aura but then the way the sisters use haki its like a technique

My explaination of haki Hopefully oda supplies us with a more proven one
Haki is born from your ambition/will power
I believe its possible for many to use haki of basic levels.
I think haki allows the person to draw upon innner will power more literally than we've seen in one piece so aka luffy standing up to defeat lucci even though he should have been completly out of energy that was luffy running on pure determination not wanting to allow lucci to kill any of his crew
Now i think haki draws upon that allowing your will power to hurt df users who wouldn't be hurt like logia types and luffy, This outburst of haki, will/ambition seemingly if king type will knock out people who's will power isn't of the level to withstand someone elses over powering will
I also think that Zoro drew upon this when he used the heard the breath of all things. Gold rodger could hear the breath of all things. (not sure if its like Zoro)

So in short. I tihnk its the drawing energy from your will power and using that to enhance yourself or weapons.

Xman
November 04, 2008, 01:26 PM
Thats good ^_^
Well when i talk about haki, i'm still undecided but i'm thinking of it as both, the major release of haki is like aura but then the way the sisters use haki its like a technique

My explaination of haki Hopefully oda supplies us with a more proven one
Haki is born from your ambition/will power
I believe its possible for many to use haki of basic levels.
I think haki allows the person to draw upon innner will power more literally than we've seen in one piece so aka luffy standing up to defeat lucci even though he should have been completly out of energy that was luffy running on pure determination not wanting to allow lucci to kill any of his crew
Now i think haki draws upon that allowing your will power to hurt df users who wouldn't be hurt like logia types and luffy, This outburst of haki, will/ambition seemingly if king type will knock out people who's will power isn't of the level to withstand someone elses over powering will
I also think that Zoro drew upon this when he used the heard the breath of all things. Gold rodger could hear the breath of all things. (not sure if its like Zoro)

So in short. I tihnk its the drawing energy from your will power and using that to enhance yourself or weapons.

Then maybe it's the way of controlling the Adrenaline Rush then able to get the maximum potency out of it, this is the just a thought came to my mind

neomaster121
November 04, 2008, 02:07 PM
Then maybe it's the way of controlling the Adrenaline Rush then able to get the maximum potency out of it, this is the just a thought came to my mind

maybe, but it seems haki is more of a spiritual thing rather than a direct physical thing
like how a person can go through the pain of cutting their own arm with sheer will power to deal with the pain
its how a mother can lift a truck to save a trapped baby (both real life stories)

i guess Oda was taking this aspect and called it haki

LiquidFire851
November 07, 2008, 05:27 PM
YES, I was right, it was a slave tattoo.

neomaster121
November 07, 2008, 06:59 PM
YES, I was right, it was a slave tattoo.

yeah you were hehe
well i'll be writing my review tomorrow