PDA

View Full Version : The ban of death?

The Boff
August 27, 2006, 05:38 PM
ok, so this is the thing. ive heard about something called the ban of death in one piece.
and i cant for the life of me figure that one out.
if someone knows where oda said this and if its readable on the net, please can i have that link so i
can check that out. cause when you just listen to the name it is in my ears VERY confusing.
Bellemere, Hiruluk (sp?), all the people that were on ohara and many more should be dead :s.
so i cant really see that there is a ban of death in one piece.

please enlighten me if you know stuff that i dont!

Hermie
August 27, 2006, 06:51 PM
People die in OP, yes.

HOWEVER, that only occurs in flashbacks, for the major characters, nameless "extras" (marines, pirates), and very small named characters. (Mr. 11, for example, got shot straight in the face to open up a number agent spot.)

The Boff
August 28, 2006, 10:52 AM
so only nonamers and not important people die in the current storyline?

this is probably the only thing i have a big problem with in One Piece, everything
else is glorious, but this.... doesnt sit well with me.

DesiSkull
August 31, 2006, 04:05 AM
how come it doesnt sit well with you Boffen?
shouldnt it matter that the fight and storyline was great, therefore, leave out the killing part.

Koyuki
August 31, 2006, 04:08 AM
A mangaka who is afraid to show current characters dying takes away some of the realism that is so cherished. If some kid tries to fight a guy who's trained for years, he's gonna get his ass whooped (and given the nature of enemies in OP, killed). To stop that natural course of events is one of the hardest things for a reader to get over, in my opinion.

The Boff
August 31, 2006, 07:30 AM
how come it doesnt sit well with you Boffen?
shouldnt it matter that the fight and storyline was great, therefore, leave out the killing part.

it takes away so much of the suspension, no matter in how hard of a situation no matter how friggin
effed up the storyline might be. i know that the wont die. im a gundam seed fan, one of the reasons im a fan is just because that you cant be sure about anything anyone can die at any given second.
the exact opposite. and that makes the story more real. and i like that.

DesiSkull
August 31, 2006, 01:39 PM
ahh i see ur point. so depends on the reader. for me it isnt necessary and i can still enjoy all the other manga. but i totally understand ur point of view. :D
besides u never know, maybe as the story progresses we might see some of the main character die.

nytrogyn
August 31, 2006, 01:56 PM
I highly doubt that a mugiwara pirate will actually die..

The Boff
August 31, 2006, 03:29 PM
ahh i see ur point. so depends on the reader. for me it isnt necessary and i can still enjoy all the other manga. but i totally understand ur point of view. :D

oh yeah dont get me wrong i LOOOOVE one piece.
cool, i actually managed to explain something... thats like the first time :nuts

I highly doubt that a mugiwara pirate will actually die..

yes so do I. but imagine how much of a tearbringer it would be if lets say Zoro fights against
Mihawk again and in that battle he gets killed. a herodeath-ish kinda thing with emotions running all over the place and all the characters crying and so on... it would give the story much more depth and
emotion.
but hey, you cant get everything. and one piece is still the best manga out there right now.

Lohnt
September 01, 2006, 09:19 AM
OP is just lighthearted whereas other animes are not, OP doesn't do death because it's a fun anime, and Luffy like Goku prefers to turn bad guys into good/not evil characters.

DesiSkull
September 01, 2006, 05:07 PM
OP is just lighthearted whereas other animes are not, OP doesn't do death because it's a fun anime, and Luffy like Goku prefers to turn bad guys into good/not evil characters.
yeh afterall Oda's favorite manga was DBZ :D but we saw the bad guys die plenty in dbz.

Lohnt
September 02, 2006, 02:21 PM
Don't lie to yourself, less people died in DBZ than anywhere, hell was a joke you could escape from, dragonballs brought back the dead, and Goku died more times than Kenny (southpark)

DesiSkull
September 03, 2006, 04:41 AM
Don't lie to yourself, less people died in DBZ than anywhere, hell was a joke you could escape from, dragonballs brought back the dead, and Goku died more times than Kenny (southpark)
yeh but it was still shown that they died. thts other point that they were brought back to life by using dragon balls

Lohnt
September 05, 2006, 03:02 PM
true, you got me there, guess OP just needs some Devil Balls (oy the hentai this will bring on..) to let more characters (LIKE PELL DAMN IT) die..

DesiSkull
September 06, 2006, 03:30 AM
see if u look it this way. they never gonna show Arlong or Crocodile or Don even again. so in other word their character was killed off after the fight with luffy. killin the character off by just disappearing the character is pretty much like showing that character died in the battle. it just that Oda taking it different approach.

PS. even after cell, frezza, and other died. they were still show living in hell. just like Goku himself. it sort of goes in circles.

Lohnt
September 06, 2006, 11:39 AM
Crocodile was shown again.. and Oda said Arlong was alive

The Boff
September 06, 2006, 04:38 PM
see if u look it this way. they never gonna show Arlong or Crocodile or Don even again.

im hoping for a rematch vs. don krieg i mean this guy we KNOW didnt die. imagine him coming at luffy again although this time wearing a new armour. made of kairoseki(seastone). kick ass fight? could be.
and yes croc has already been shown that he is alive still. i mean he got arrested after the fight, its not very often that someone arrests a dead dude right :p. and the it was confirmed with the cover story.

brak3000
September 10, 2006, 10:55 AM
I remember this from when I read the early chapters of One Piece in the American released volumes, but there was a Q&A with Oda, where he was asked why Luffy never killed his enemies. he responded that destroying their hopes, ambitions, and dreams was worse than anything else he could have done, it sort of negated their reason for existing. When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

So I think it is with this in mind that Oda generally doesn't like to kill off characters.

The Boff
September 10, 2006, 03:56 PM
When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

So I think it is with this in mind that Oda generally doesn't like to kill off characters.

that makes sense. (and now i finally understand why they didnt fight back :D)

and welcome to MH brak3000!

DesiSkull
September 10, 2006, 05:43 PM
I remember this from when I read the early chapters of One Piece in the American released volumes, but there was a Q&A with Oda, where he was asked why Luffy never killed his enemies. he responded that destroying their hopes, ambitions, and dreams was worse than anything else he could have done, it sort of negated their reason for existing. When Bellamy ridiculed Luffy's dream and showed no ambitions of his own, Luffy refused to fight him (until later, at least).

hah nice first post and Welcome to the MH brak3000! enjoy..

renrutal
September 10, 2006, 05:50 PM
Crocodile was shown again.. and Oda said Arlong was alive

It's possible that Arlong might come back since Jimbei, one of the Shichibukai, was one of the former members of the Fish-men Pirates. I'd say it would be more like a flashback with him getting killed by Jimbei than a current comeback.

Nice to see how Luffy considers a life in shame worse than death itself.

DragonMoonZ
December 18, 2007, 06:59 PM
I was wondering about the beatings that occur in One Piece. In series like Naruto, Bleach and for example DragonBall Z you know right away when the enemy is killed or something like that. It's all shounen but One Piece deals also with blood, heavy fights, but i'm confused whether the enemy is killed or just defeated. For instance, first major villain was Arlong, he got his head smashed by Luffy, but is he dead or did the World Governement arrest him?
Second was Sir Crocodile, but this one is obvious, he was stripped of his title so he still lives. Third major villain was Enel, but he didn't get (seriously) beaten or killed, instead he flew of to the moon. Fourth major villains were CP9, what happened to them ? Did they get killed, especially Rob Lucci, if CP9 is just defeated are they still active or is the group somewhat disbanded ? That is what ''bothers'' me only in One Piece, it's like Oda wants to keep the violence to a minimum or somewhat, but in Japan this shouldn't be a problem would it ?
I would like to hear from you guys how you think about this :tem

Imitorar
December 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
Luffy at least never kills anyone, for ideological reasons. See this SBS (http://arlongpark.net/Manga/SBS/4), chapter 30, for the reason why. And I assume the other Straw Hats don't kill because as Luffy's crew, they want to subscribe to his ideology. So even though Robin and probably Zoro have killed people before, they don't after they join the Straw Hats because they want to live by their captain's ideals. And it's not like people don't die, it's just that they're either important figures in flashbacks (examples: Bellemere, Usopp's mother, Kuina), random faceless people in the present time-line that nobody cares about (examples: those bounty hunters at Whiskey Peak, assuming they died, most of God's Militia during the Survival Game on Skypiea), or Bellamy, who is an exception to the rule. It's just that Oda manages to give his arcs drama without having to kill off characters. He prefers to make it turn out that the character lived at the end of the arc after the drama dies down, so the characters survival comes as a pleasant surprise, instead of an anti-climax, and the character lives.

Inkovic
December 19, 2007, 02:51 AM
Oda says that if a villain lives it is worse than death as they have to live with the fact their dreams are crushed and they are out of the picture (the exception is Buggy of course).

Other than flashbacks and the odd henchmen here and there no-one really dies.

mars0103
December 19, 2007, 05:17 AM
In one piece it looks like luffy fights to protect not to fight for just to fight

Wale
December 19, 2007, 09:07 AM
For instance, first major villain was Arlong, he got his head smashed by Luffy, but is he dead or did the World Governement arrest him?

You are wrong, Luffy did not break Arlongs head, but he broke his back/spine and then sent him into Arlong Parks bottom with the same kick.

And abaut the CP9.. we will see some mini strorys abaut them later. :)

DragonMoonZ
December 19, 2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks so much for those SBS Imitorar, it's really helpful, i didn't know those exist:s should look better next time, why aren't these SBS questions included with the OP chapters ? Just like Eyeshield 21 at the end of each chapter, extra's are included they give the series MUCH MORE indepth to it's already awesome story. And you're right Wale about CP, we will see them later, just like Baroque Works and Skypiea haha, such awesome mini story arcs, i think chapter 382 with Nico Robin is the last:eyeroll now back to read the SBS questions i have a hell of a lot to read to widen my One Piece Knowledge haha:p
[hr]
But seriously, One Piece goes far more deeper with it's story than an average shounen, this isn't just manga anymore, this is art in my opinion, with the title ''the art of storytelling'' handed over to Master Oda..

Oni_James
December 19, 2007, 04:10 PM
i think i heard in some SBS that Oda does this like a way to dishonor them, because he said that is more dishonor to be beaten than to be killed

Absolutio
December 19, 2007, 05:10 PM
Thanks so much for those SBS Imitorar, it's really helpful, i didn't know those exist:s should look better next time, why aren't these SBS questions included with the OP chapters ? Just like Eyeshield 21 at the end of each chapter, extra's are included they give the series MUCH MORE indepth to it's already awesome story. And you're right Wale about CP, we will see them later, just like Baroque Works and Skypiea haha, such awesome mini story arcs, i think chapter 382 with Nico Robin is the last:eyeroll now back to read the SBS questions i have a hell of a lot to read to widen my One Piece Knowledge haha:p
<hr noshade size="1">
But seriously, One Piece goes far more deeper with it's story than an average shounen, this isn't just manga anymore, this is art in my opinion, with the title ''the art of storytelling'' handed over to Master Oda..

If I'm not mistaken, the SBSs go out with the official volume releases, and not in the Shonen Jump weekly releases.. And since the chapters in the volumes are already scanlated, there is no reason the rescan them.. So in APforums they just translate the SBS of the released volumes, and that's why it's not included in the chapters you read.

DragonMoonZ
December 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
Yes that is exactly what Imitorar told me, the only group who does OP HQ is Null, and the only tankobon release they did (after some researching) was as for as i know volume 46, and these didn't include SBS but instead extra's about the Thousand Sunny, it's too bad no one else does OP in High Quality (or at least decent MQ) like Naruto's JapFlap and Shannaro and Bleach's Maximum7...:oh but lets stay ontopic, i think im drifting away here..:tem

Absolutio
December 19, 2007, 06:44 PM
Franky-House also do a HQ scans of OP, but they release it after they do speed scans of the chapters..
But again, it doesnt matter the quality.. It's just that the SBS's arent released weakly, but rather when the volume is released (seperatly), and the chapters in it are already scanlated.. So translators just translate the SBS section seperatly and post it in apforums.

Imitorar
December 19, 2007, 08:02 PM
He meant tankobon scanlations, I think, and Null IS the only group who do those in English. And no more SBS discussion in this thread, please find or make an appropriate thread if you wish to discuss the SBS further.

The Boff
December 23, 2007, 08:36 AM
there already is a thread about this stuff so maybe a merge?

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=127716#post127716

Thread merged.

Oblivion
December 25, 2007, 04:46 PM
Jman died just recently in naruto, but i dont think such a thing will happen in OP.

Ace died but someone more closer to the reader wont i guess. maybe shanks, but nothing really special.

Please put references to recent events to other mangas in spoiler tags.

Absolutio
December 26, 2007, 11:38 AM
we don't know if ace is dead yet..

Oblivion
December 26, 2007, 01:05 PM
if he wouldnt have died, then it would be weird to say that the fight between BB and Ace caused the new war and BB becoming a shichibukai.

Absolutio
December 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
he might've been captured.

Razh
January 03, 2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe. That would certainly be a good cause for a "great incident".

But it's also possible that Blackbeard just left him defeated on Banaro island. If he wanted to give a message to WB just how strong he has become, that would be a good way. Who knows what he plans.

Stay on topic, guys.

henrikoez
January 04, 2008, 08:53 AM
It looks like that Ace is dead, but i'm sure he isn't dead. it is true that all of the main actors in OP won't die. Not like Naruto and Bleach that have a lot of corpses from both side.

Razh
January 04, 2008, 10:29 AM
I kinda like Oda's concept of not killing anyone. It's kinda part of the anime's style. You know those teenage series where everything starts idilic and innocent, than all of a sudden hell breaks loose and they are all but idilic and innocent. Something like that happened in Naruto, although Naruto always had that dark shadow, which is just bigger in the last part.
But One Piece starded as a whacky comedy that nobdody thought was too serious, and of course, things are getting more serious as the story progresses, but it's still the same One Piece that it was from the beginning.

I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say, but the fact that some characters just pop back unexpectedly is just a big plus to me. I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I found out that Pell wasn't killed by Robin after all. Or later when he survived the bomb.

Oda probably likes all those whacky characters too much to just get rid of them. And who doesn't?

weixiaobao
January 12, 2008, 09:38 PM
well i think since Oda haven't yet kill a character it would be a huge twist and surprising if he decided to kill one and i think he will soon enough .. and beside the war in Alabasta sure have kill many people ...

Dark-Kaomi
January 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
I kind of like the fact that Oda doesn't kill of his characters in story. I can't really explain why but it makes me happy. But I do know if he does at some point it will be the most heart wrenching scene of any series. He proved that with all of his flashbacks and the Usopp/Luffy fight. So maybe I'm just dreading the pain he would bring with it. Who knows. I'm just glad that some of my favorite villains get a chance and reforming.

DragonMoonZ
January 17, 2008, 05:48 PM
I kinda like Oda's concept of not killing anyone. It's kinda part of the anime's style. You know those teenage series where everything starts idilic and innocent, than all of a sudden hell breaks loose and they are all but idilic and innocent. Something like that happened in Naruto, although Naruto always had that dark shadow, which is just bigger in the last part.
But One Piece starded as a whacky comedy that nobdody thought was too serious, and of course, things are getting more serious as the story progresses, but it's still the same One Piece that it was from the beginning.

I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say, but the fact that some characters just pop back unexpectedly is just a big plus to me. I can't even begin to describe how happy I was when I found out that Pell wasn't killed by Robin after all. Or later when he survived the bomb.

Oda probably likes all those whacky characters too much to just get rid of them. And who doesn't?

Yep true, true especially about Pell, i was surprised about that too.. In fact i still don't get the ending of Alabasta, you see Pell standing in front of (his?) grave and says something (can't remember what it was) and thats it, no more Pell or Alabasta.. what's that about...??? I thought he died for sure

Dark-Kaomi
January 17, 2008, 06:12 PM
Yep true, true especially about Pell, i was surprised about that too.. In fact i still don't get the ending of Alabasta, you see Pell standing in front of (his?) grave and says something (can't remember what it was) and thats it, no more Pell or Alabasta.. what's that about...??? I thought he died for sure

You actually see Pell and the others later on. I think what Oda was going for was kind of an open ended ending, showing that the big fights were over but leaving it so he could add on later if needed.

TheBlackLotus
February 08, 2008, 08:10 PM
Oda has stated that Luffy's view is something along the lines he'd rather his enemies remain alive with their dreams shattered and spirit destroyed as such a fate would be worse than death. Also One Piece is supposed to be a fun manga, a happy manga, and Oda's said he enjoys happy stories which are meant to be fun. Even the fights are more fun and spirited.

Also by killing off characters easily it makes you less phased. This lets it happen so if say Ace, Shanks, or someone else Luffy series looks up to were to get killed (especially by Blackbeard or something) it would be more emotional on Luffy's level, and give Luffy a reason to chase after Blackbeard and set up the fight that will probably happen between the two groups.