PDA

View Full Version : Review Neo's 521 One Piece Review

neomaster121
November 08, 2008, 11:30 AM
I’d like to start this review with an admission, pretty much got all theories and prediction wrong in this arc, I guess its still a bit too much trying to predict Oda’s work, but I must say a few people were right on a few of the predictions and theories they’ve posted here in my reviews.

Well it’s a new week, and after reading this chapter, I must say this arc is seemingly coming to an end, 2 more chapters, and it reaches the 10 chapter limit I predicted (at least hopefully I get that right hehehe). Well onto the chapter 521 Review, hope you guys enjoy what you're about to read.

CP9 better get ready to fight

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-22.jpg

I just don’t get it, the CP9 do as they are told, true they lost to the strawhats, but does that warrant them being chased and hunted by the marines. I remember a few chapters back with the CP9 members taking the pirate ship I joked that they might sail away to become pirates, but with the marines after their heads they may have no other choice. We also get to see a few marines from that very same buster call attack, seems like Oda wasn’t planning to waste any of those weird marines we were first introduced to.

A boat or 3 lives... decision time!

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-22.jpg

So the chapter starts quite nicely with the two sisters apologising to Boa for their failure. While they do so Luffy understandably assumes that Boa would want to fight, luckily for him she doesn’t, and he sets off to make sure Margaret and co are undamaged. Luffy which I must say even though he has spurts of major stupidity, requests quite politly for the petrified girls to be turned back to normal. Luckily for all involved the effects are reversible, but Boa who doesn’t trust luffy as a man gives him an option. I’m sure that the wrong answer would have meant death for luffy, but you have to wonder, did he realise that the true question was take a ship and rejoin your crew, and mission to become pirate king, or save 3 girls lives and probably stay trapped on the island forever giving up both his crew and his dreams.

Luffy don’t hurt headbutt the ground so hard

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-22.jpg

Well as we follow the adventures of the strawhat crew, this decision seems straight forward and we understand it greatly, but from the perspective of the women on this island Luffy, a man, a person with the haki of a king (which we know Kings don’t bow down to anyone) without hesitation requests for his newly found friends to be turned back to normal. I find what the old lady (as I call her) says about his haki and his actions seemingly so contrasting, but of course these girls have never met anyone as weird and funny as luffy. Boa and her sister’s faces just say it all without any need for words. At least now the 3 can be turned back to normal

So with the 3 turned back to normal Margaret has no recollection of what happened to her, at the beginning I said she would be joining and I have to admit throughout the arc I found it seemingly more and more unlikely. Now with Boa’s change of personality her joining to me seems an even less likely. I could easily see her part of his crew but it just seems like a distant dream. Well at least the bewildered Margaret will get to hear how luffy protected her life.
But what surprises the Amazonian women more than anything is that luffy has been allowed to enter the castle.

Who needs thanks when you got food lol

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-22.jpg

When I first read this statement I couldn’t help but laugh. Luffy after giving up his chance to leave the island has a new thing weighing on his mind, and that’s food of course. A thank you means nothing to him, only food. I guess if they really wanted to thank him they’d give him and endless supply of food.

But Luffy hasn’t long to wait before he’s called into Boa’s chambers to what he believes is a banquet of amazonian food, but it’s something better (if he was sanji that is). He gets a second viewing of Boa’s breast. Why she couldn’t just cover her chest up I don’t know lol. Sanji is seriously going to be so heart broken if he hears of luffy’s adventures here.

Luffy’s is really becoming Famous

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-22.jpg

I wonder I’m I the only one who enjoys other random characters just being shocked and amazed of what the strawhat members have done so far. I find those scenes so gratifying. I guess the crew’s done so much and they are getting the publicity they deserve hehehe. All are shocked by the actions of luffy and luffy even now doesn’t regret hitting the guy, even if it cost him his crew.

More importantly sonia and marygold are surprised as to how luffy managed to reach their island from SA. Well just in real life boats are a slower form of transport than flying; luffy should be getting back in time to be involved in wb’s break out of ace. Ace’s execution is near SA itself and if the marines managed to get a ship to Boa and ask her to come back giving her a two day limit, then getting there by boat may not take as long as Sonia suggests with her statement. Also it seemingly confirms luffy's story as to how he got there.

Well the revelation of Luffy’s actions two days ago really touches Boa bringing tears to a woman who’s looked and sounded so cold throughout this entire arc.

Symbol’s revealed

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-22.jpg

Earlier on in the chapter we were shown this symbol the symbol which luffy thought looked like the sun symbol on hachi’s forehead, but in fact the dreadful symbol is that of those made slaves to the nobles Tenryuubito, and with that revealed it doesn’t take much to realise Boa and her sisters were once slaves. I can’t imagine how such a large mark being burnt into someone’s back must of felt. The cruelty those nobles thought they had the right to inflict on others, I just can’t stand it.

She was taken when only 12 and had to suffer for 4 years, luckily for her this man appeared.

The two other sisters really changed -__-

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-22.jpg

As boa tells luffy her story she crumbles as she relives the horrible past she’s tried so hard to forget. We are glimpsed with the original leader of Arlong’s crew. I’m now guessing arlong himself was probably a slave as a child and hated humans for the actions the nobles took on him and his race. Well not even just the nobles, but all human’s, they had quite low respect for the fishmen, its no wonder why he inflicted so much suffering on the weak islands in the east blue. The symbol now on hachi’s head was meant to cover up the mark of the slaves, and quire rightly picked, changed to the mark of the free sun. But getting burnt again to cover the mark, well I wouldn’t be first in line, Boa also tells luffy the mark then became the symbol of the fishman pirate crew, and not necessarily means that hachi was himself a slave.
This flashback also gave some much needed background information ahead of the fishman arc, an arc which has been put on hold. I guess by introducing it here we won’t be too distanced from the story if Oda does plans on creating mini stories for a few more members.

What a Change

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-20.jpg

After telling luffy the whole truth, this women who seemed so evil, so disrespectful, so vain is now crying in front of the man she was about to execute. We are also given the last bit of information about the 3 sisters before she lets out her cry. Out of all the bad luck they were luckily given devil fruit’s of which were the right fruits to keep their secret safe from the rest of the islanders.

Now I’m sure now that after we’ve had such a revelation and a mini flashback people are gonna be saying Boa’s gonna join the crew, but I don’t think it will happen. I think she is now going to be another person the crew can rely on as an ally. Also she would make luffy's crew way to over powered adding a shichibukai to the mix is a bit too much if you ask me.

Luffy standing in front of Boa understanding even just a little of the pain she’s gone through, a nice change from funny to mature luffy in a matter of minutes. Well after Boa’s finished crying the old lady who was listening to the entire convocation jumps in revealing it was her who helped get Boa and her 2 sisters back to the island. It seems like Boa’s been keeping up this hateful vengeful act for so long that even Nyon herself started to believe that’s who boa really was. The scene between the two was kind of funny with oda adding a nice touch of sarcasm in Boa’s reply to her.

Kindness got him a ship

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-20.jpg

Hahaha, well the mini story is coming to an end. Boa after her revelation is revealed to be an ok woman at heart, and is willing to help luffy get back to wherever he wants to go. She says, "her ship" so it sounds like she will be going with luffy and her crew. So no need for a luffy vs momogo fight, if luffy hides, then the marines are none the wiser. Also by taking luffy back she can also fulfil her promise to the world government as a shichibukai without revoking her status. How boa could affect the war if she fights with the marines well, with her ability she will be able to take out the majority of wb’s fodder forces.

Overall Rating

8 Out of 10
Oda’s wrapping up the story and the flash back was a nice addition. I found the chapter quite entertaining and looking forward to the next chapter.

Prediction
Well I still think we will have 1 to 2 chapters left of luffy’s mini arc, and hopefully the arc will end with the crew setting sail with luffy, and boa or Margaret saying they will teach him the basics of haki, how to use it, a nice explanation would also be great to. I now also find it very very unlikely that Margaret will join, but I still have a gut feeling about her, plus she’s a clothes designer, so nami and robin will love her, but it’s unlikely she’ll join ah well.

Well that’s the end of the review, looking forward to reading your comments and views on the chapter and my review.

The Underscore
November 08, 2008, 04:29 PM
Nice review Neo.
I have to agree with you when it comes to Margaret. It doesn't seem all to likely that she will join at the moment yet with the way Oda writes this manga it could just happen. (Let's face it, if he can add a character to the crew that he drew in the 103rd chapter about 380 chapters later (Brooke http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/103/24/ in the upper left picture on the right) he'll be able to have Margaret join the crew someway or another. Right? :amuse.)
Other than that I'm hoping we'll see a few chapters with the other crew members. Something like small 3 chapter adventures where they find a way back to the Shabondy Islands and maybe get some character development/a power-up starting with Zoro and going through all members in the order in which they joined. I admit the probability of this happening is low but still it would be nice right :).

Super Angillis
November 08, 2008, 05:07 PM
Hell the Way Oda Writes Nyon could join. Actually that's one thing that bugs me. What was Nyon doing living away from the island?

As for CP9, didn't one of the early parts of this covor arc show Spandem sicking the Marines on them? I can see the weasel blaming everything on them in order to try and save his posistion.

MAX_COLA_POWER!
November 08, 2008, 05:08 PM
Nice review Neo. Luffy has done it again. Kicking ass not only physically, but leaving a big impression on all the none-believers too. I agree with the fact that Marigold REALLY let herself go. Every time they mention the Tenryubito being the reason for all the pain in the pirate world, I just remember the legendary money shot of Luffy punching Charles and I feel better^^. Margaret still has that straw hat hopeful aura around her, but it seems that Hancock took the trait of having a tragic past. So my question, is Hancock, not Margaret, the destined 9th? It's really unlikely I know, but she may leave the protection of Amazon Lily to her sisters or Nyon, and go out still with her Shichibukai status and still be in a pirate crew. I dunno, just making random theories^^;;.

omniscientone
November 08, 2008, 06:04 PM
Great review. Though I am confused in what sense u find Nyon's lines contrarian ? Also, at this point, I am just hoping that even if Boa doesnt join, she might leave the shichibukai. Might be the advantage that WB and his crew needs to save Ace, since they are already down Moria.

And I agree with u on Margaret joining, seems unlikely at this point. Also, any ideas on what the chapter name suggests ? Hoof of the soaring dragon ?

neomaster121
November 09, 2008, 05:44 AM
Nice review Neo.
I have to agree with you when it comes to Margaret. It doesn't seem all to likely that she will join at the moment yet with the way Oda writes this manga it could just happen. (Let's face it, if he can add a character to the crew that he drew in the 103rd chapter about 380 chapters later (Brooke http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/103/24/ in the upper left picture on the right) he'll be able to have Margaret join the crew someway or another. Right? :amuse.)
Other than that I'm hoping we'll see a few chapters with the other crew members. Something like small 3 chapter adventures where they find a way back to the Shabondy Islands and maybe get some character development/a power-up starting with Zoro and going through all members in the order in which they joined. I admit the probability of this happening is low but still it would be nice right :).

thanks
well it's true but we should still have 1 or 2 chapters left to see if she will join or not
yes i agree going to a new crew member would be gd but i think if oda is planing on giving everyone a mini story we may not reach Zoro until last, i say this because zoro was the first to go while luffy was last, i think Oda will give these stories in reverse order of when they dissappeared, so even though it pains me to say it we may not see zoro for a long time
but with the ministory Oda's given luffy we may not get ministories for the others which would be dissappointing but what he's set up with zoro and kuma i can't imagine oda won't be developing zoro in one way or another

Hell the Way Oda Writes Nyon could join. Actually that's one thing that bugs me. What was Nyon doing living away from the island?

As for CP9, didn't one of the early parts of this covor arc show Spandem sicking the Marines on them? I can see the weasel blaming everything on them in order to try and save his posistion.

Yea that is the last question well boa was 16 when she escaped and lets say she lookes about 22 or older than this was like 8 years ago now if she left 16 years or so becore that it could be that nyon went of to join gold d rodger, year i know it's unlikely but that's what i thought when we first found out she had left the island and she does look like silver's age.

ah your probably right but it's still unfair the cp9 tried their best.

Nice review Neo. Luffy has done it again. Kicking ass not only physically, but leaving a big impression on all the none-believers too. I agree with the fact that Marigold REALLY let herself go. Every time they mention the Tenryubito being the reason for all the pain in the pirate world, I just remember the legendary money shot of Luffy punching Charles and I feel better^^. Margaret still has that straw hat hopeful aura around her, but it seems that Hancock took the trait of having a tragic past. So my question, is Hancock, not Margaret, the destined 9th? It's really unlikely I know, but she may leave the protection of Amazon Lily to her sisters or Nyon, and go out still with her Shichibukai status and still be in a pirate crew. I dunno, just making random theories^^;;.

lol thanks the sister looks different lol
she's had the flashback but only a mini one and she seems to not have an ambition of a person who would become a strawhat member, plus being a shichibukai if she did that her island would be attacked while she was having her adventure. So margaret has a better chance even now of joining than boa does, well that's my opinion. (if she did i'd have to eat my words lol)

Great review. Though I am confused in what sense u find Nyon's lines contrarian ? Also, at this point, I am just hoping that even if Boa doesnt join, she might leave the shichibukai. Might be the advantage that WB and his crew needs to save Ace, since they are already down Moria.

And I agree with u on Margaret joining, seems unlikely at this point. Also, any ideas on what the chapter name suggests ? Hoof of the soaring dragon ?

Well when i said that i was talking about luffy's haki and his actions, him having a king's ambition being so quick to bow his head is quite contrasting
The hoof of the soaring dragon is the symbol burned into the back's of the nobles slaves

Xman
November 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
nice review Neo :3

But there is 2 things i would like to mention here, if you are ok;

1st,

but it’s something better (if he was sanji that is). He gets a second viewing of Boa’s breast. Why she couldn’t just cover her chest up I don’t know lol. Sanji is seriously going to be so heart broken if he hears of luffy’s adventures here.

Well, about this I think Boadid that to check or wanted to know what made Luffy not turning into stone or wana know his real reaction that she didn't expect him to have 1st time. well, she is a woman after all, she wants to some compliment after all :3 you could see her dispointing face on that page 2nd line middle panel. nerf Luffy ._. I would turn into stone without Boa's ability if I were him :>

2nd,

We are glimpsed with the original leader of Arlong’s crew..

About this. I think I'll have to disagree about this part. I think you missed part where the old lady mentioned that "Tiger Fish" died long time ago and his crew splitted into diffrent crews. she said that on Page 17 2nd line right panel. and as we know the only Shichibukai left without showing his face is the 7th one which is said to be a mermen and the previous leader of arlong's pirate which means he still alive. and they didn't mention his name or his face or even his race.

other than this, nice review :3
umm, i wanted to know something, Who's Hancock? the mention the name on Page 14 left panel "flash back" .. i'm pretty sure this name was mentioned before but I don't quite remmber when ... Anyone?

EDIT:
Why everyone keep saying that someone would join luffy's crew whenever Oda brings a good side character o .o?

paradoxe
November 11, 2008, 08:42 AM
I now also find it very very unlikely that Margaret will join, but I still have a gut feeling about her, plus she’s a clothes designer

You mix up Margaret with Camie.

Camies the cute little mermaid with the designer tshirt (star logo) and the starfish buddy. Remember?

Akainu
November 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
and Margret is the one who actually put frills on some cloths and doesn't jsut talk about designing whereas she's cooking Takoyaki ... <.<

neomaster121
November 11, 2008, 01:10 PM
nice review Neo :3

But there is 2 things i would like to mention here, if you are ok;

1st,

Well, about this I think Boadid that to check or wanted to know what made Luffy not turning into stone or wana know his real reaction that she didn't expect him to have 1st time. well, she is a woman after all, she wants to some compliment after all :3 you could see her dispointing face on that page 2nd line middle panel. nerf Luffy ._. I would turn into stone without Boa's ability if I were him :>

2nd,

About this. I think I'll have to disagree about this part. I think you missed part where the old lady mentioned that "Tiger Fish" died long time ago and his crew splitted into diffrent crews. she said that on Page 17 2nd line right panel. and as we know the only Shichibukai left without showing his face is the 7th one which is said to be a mermen and the previous leader of arlong's pirate which means he still alive. and they didn't mention his name or his face or even his race.

other than this, nice review :3
umm, i wanted to know something, Who's Hancock? the mention the name on Page 14 left panel "flash back" .. i'm pretty sure this name was mentioned before but I don't quite remmber when ... Anyone?

EDIT:
Why everyone keep saying that someone would join luffy's crew whenever Oda brings a good side character o .o?

Lol well many OP guys would be stuck frozen by that image, on luffy places food above anything else lol

On your second point i guess i didn't explain myself properly, i did read that part and i did forget that arlong was under jembei rather than the true original leader making arlongs crew a sub sub crew of the original
her name is Boa Hancock, the leader and shichibukai

Well i guess many of us like alot of the characters Oda creates and thats why theres so many he or she will join either though no one actually joins.

You mix up Margaret with Camie.

Camies the cute little mermaid with the designer tshirt (star logo) and the starfish buddy. Remember?

I never mixed up the two
Margaret was the one who added frills to luffys clothes and was congrated by the other ladies

and Margret is the one who actually put frills on some cloths and doesn't jsut talk about designing whereas she's cooking Takoyaki ... <.<

yep

Xman
November 14, 2008, 06:05 AM
I just checked Arlong's ArK ... Arlong have the tattoo on his chest o .o