PDA

View Full Version : Review Neo's 523 One Piece Review

neomaster121
November 20, 2008, 04:52 AM
I guess these last few weeks are OP’s weeks. We got an super early raw and I know I can’t remember the last time a chapter was released on a Wednesday, this might as well be the first time.
Well Last week I wasn’t a big fan of the chapter's ending, and i thought of it as page fillers, but now this is a new week and a new chapter so here it is Chapter 523: Hell.

Damn… he’s still alive?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/1-24.jpg

Spandam I just hate you and don’t pity you whatsoever. In fact seeing him in this condition is a complete laugh, and in this who chapter it’s the second funniest image in my opinion. I just think back to when Robin finished him off, and whoa he’s in bad shape. I think his legs are back to front lol. Normally I would feel for most characters in this condition but not spandam... my most hated character, and he does deserve everything he gets.
I bet the message is 1 of 2 things, either telling him the marines have found the CP9, or telling him that the CP9 have defeated the marines. I guess he blames his condition on the CP9 failure, and I guess that’s why he’s gotten the CP9 hunted like this.

Love Sick Boa does look cute

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/2-24.jpg

All her fake attempts of beauty poses made me cringe when her personality was shown as vain and immature, but all love sick and sad, well I guess that's why they say she’s the most beautiful character in one piece at the moment. I don’t know if Oda’s drawn her slightly differently or if it's her change of personality but she’s really grown on me. Well apart from that Oda continues his love killed the previous empress’s story. Well I’m sure we’ve all had once in our lives unrequited love and maybe these previous women literally died of a broken heart, that would be interesting, but as I said last week, we wouldn’t get much into this as it was just used for comedy value.

Just after one page it changes scene and we are at the departure of Luffy and Boa.

Something’s Don’t Change

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/3-24.jpg

I can’t help but laugh. First time we saw Hancock I couldn’t believe how she kicked the kitten like that, then Oda gave us her past and I thought, yeah it was just an act. Now I just think the women hates young cute animals’ hehehe. I got to hand it to Oda for keeping me interested even in the parts I personally dislike.

Now the request of Luffy’s has prompted Hancock to act quickly as she leaves during the night. If they want to make it on time there's no way they would have left it until the morning, or was it just because luffy asked her and she just couldn’t say no… Hancock I know exactly how you feel -__-.

She’s making this review look… Beautiful!
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/4-24.jpg

Seriously whoa, I guess something has changed, Oda even got the crowd seeing her even more beautiful than ever. Nyon who has fallen for her beauty before, seems absolutely trapped. Nyon’s face lol, I guess with such beauty Oda needed to counter it somehow.
So after Hancock’s arrival everyone says goodbye, the Amazonians sending luffy off with the sticks in the nose hehehe, and Margaret and her friends waving goodbye. With this page I waved goodbye to them joining. But after 10 Chapters this was a nice way to end it I must say.

Enjoying the meat eh?

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/5-24.jpg

So for agreeing to join the war, momo managed to get the ok from HQ to let Hancock visit the Jail. I guess that luffy will stay there while Hancock leaves to avoid the chance of Hancock getting in trouble or blamed for what luffy is planning to do.
I find it a little convenient that Ace is held at Imperial Down and HQ allow her to visit the place when in usual circumstances they’d say no, and with no questions seemingly asked.
Well even after so long turned to stone Boa turns the unlucky marines back to normal. With that done everything is wrapped up and onto Imperial Down. Just 1 thing though… Where’s luffy?

Hmm… wrapped under her coat... to her bum

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/6-24.jpg

Everything was well wrapped up by Oda, including Luffy and Boa. Luffy covered in clothes while luffy wrapping himself quite tightly to Hancock’s body. It’s lucky luffy doesn’t feel the same way hancock does or this would seem more adult entertainment than one piece hehehe. Also with this it means we are denied seeing a cross dressing luffy, funny how I thought it would be luffy being the cross dresser rather than relating this to the island a certain member may have landed on.

Almost All Shichibukai assembled

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/7-24.jpg

Well news travels fast as Sengoku is informed that Hancock is on her way. I guess Oda giving her such a bounty the lowest excluding Blackbeard, prompted the “She’s strong” remark. Whether we will actually see her fight or not I believe Oda purposely stopped her fighting Luffy so we can see her at her best in war later on.

Before this chapter came out I had a discussion on msn yesterday with a MH member arguing how many shichibukai would actually attend. I argued that pretty much all would arrive while the other thought almost none would show up. I even argued that Moria would have healed up enough to be in the war despite his lack of zombies. Well by Sengoku’s statement seems like I was right. Even the members which seemed to not listen to the WG most of the time seemingly showed their faces, all except 1, Jembei.

Well he did but he decided to rebel. Sengoku statement has me more interested in Jembei’s reasoning. It seems like he went to HQ and then decided to riot. Was it being so close to the land of the nobles who imprisoned him and his people, which got him worked up? Is it that he’s old friends with ace or Wb and by rioting thought he could cause enough trouble? There could be possible other reasons but either way he’s locked in jail still unwilling to help and even willing to loose his title as a Shichibukai.

The Unseen one

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/8-22.jpg

Jembei hidden in darkness the first real image of the guy, kinda seems a similar top of the head as Kuma lol. With a face which seemingly reminds me of the old movies of Greek gods. Well with the constant revelations a lot of my theories I’ve thought up constantly are proven wrong, and it’s exactly what I love about this manga, it’s unpredictability without seeming random is just perfect and a joy to continue to read. I’m looking forward to seeing Jembei in person, but he does look to be quite big, him being a whale shark as so many seem to predict does look like a possibility with his stature.

I don’t know if this was just Oda being sloppy but after mentioning Roswald Sei I remember garp initially saying he was heading to SA. It now seems like he didn’t go there and instead left to go visit his elder grandson, ace. As soon as we get the information as to garps whereabouts information on Wb has arrived.

So 500 pirates were in SA and all were caught by kizaru, I don’t think that includes bonney or the mafia crews but the way they were messing around with marines it wouldn’t be surprising if they were all caught. All of them being sent to Imperial down while luffy is also heading there is going to be epic encounter, especially since them being caught is due to luffy’s actions, Kid and Law have yet to be mentioned but I think it might be save to say they were caught too.

WhiteBeard’s Power is for real

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/9-22.jpg

23 Ships sunk instantly by 1 ship and its crew. I remember ace single handily destroying a few ships with 1 attack, but he was a logia user. I didn’t think the same could be done by Wb and his crew, a very nice way to show us the glimpse of a power that battled evenly with Gold Rodger, and now reinforces the idea that WB isn’t just attacking foolishly. Also other new world pirate crews are on the move. Is this Oda’s hint that Shank’s is too on his way to save Ace? Or are other pirate crew’s sensing an opportunity with WB leaving his position to make a move? Either way the aftermath of this attack is going to have a huge impact on the story.

So now that Wb seemingly strategically taking out all of the marines scouts, he can now attack with full force any location without the WG knowing as to where, with ID also maybe being a target. Last week I talked about how I thought the current between the 3 main points was quite well placed and I guess this will be used to allow the marines quick access depending on where WB attacks.

Ace is in Bad Shape

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/10-12.jpg

Last time we saw ace, he was fighting in the name of WB declaring he would become pirate king (similar to how Zoro declared luffy should be Pirate king a nice touch I must say). So after a few weeks Ace is just battered, even garp looking at him can’t help but think he might be dead. Either BB beat him up pretty badly with his attack or the guards in prison never heard of prisoner’s rights. Well I don’t know why Garp is there but I don’t think it’s because it’s to break him out. I guess there’s one last chat a grandpa and grandson must have before one of them is killed. I’m sure that whatever he’s there to say it will be interesting.

Location of Others

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/11-4.jpg

So after 10 chapters of luffy alone it’s to nami, there goes my reverse order theory, but as I thought it wasn’t Zoro, of which many probably thought would be next. Nami sent high into the sky to another sky island, that surprised me. I just didn’t think there were multiple sky islands, and from the spoilers I hadn’t realised what this weird sky islander was doing. He’s creating wind inside his home by undoing his rope, and he’s increasing its power with relative ease.
Luffy went to a haki island and didn’t actively find out about haki, but nami isn’t so... let’s just say luffy like. If this guy isn’t using a devil fruit, nami will be learning a great deal more about the weather, and if it’s possible to learn a part of what this guy has just done with rope, well nami and her weapon will be on a higher level of power. The first time she went to a sky island she gained dials, I wonder what she will get here in the scientific weather island, pretty much perfect for Nami.

The Franky Effect

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/13-2.jpg

Lol, I just don’t know why these guys and the dog joined in, and actually perfected the Super signature move. Well away from this funny scene unlike with luffy, Oda has shown us not just 1 location but 2 and later on 3. All of which were in the group formed when Luffy, Zoro, and Sanji decide to split up.
Now thinking about the situations luffy was sent to an island using similar techniques to vegapunks bodyguard, a place which he should have learnt haki, Nami has been sent to a sky island, a scientific island to probably learn more and further upgrade her weapon, Franky, a self made cyborg, has been sent to a futuristic island (birthplace of vegapunk I believe) and even the dog has robotic parts. I guess Franky could easily get a physical upgrad here, but on a snow island lol, I guess Kuma wanted franky to learn to wear at least some shorts. Now Sanji what place is perfect for Sanji to power up and comeback stronger… I wonder.

Hell, lol

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n139/neomaster121/14-1.jpg

Luffy creates comedy but sanji is just plainly bullied. A man only island it would seem, unless there are women dressed as men lol. Sanji’s face is a prize picture. Last week I thought I saw the most epic image in one piece with zoro drenched in blood now we got the funniest/scariest scene with Sanji running for his life. Man his face says it all, and after sending luffy to the island sanji would be wishing kuma had sent him to, I think Sanji is wondering why kuma/oda hates him so much, Sanji will never look at women in the same way again hehehe.

I guess Boa’s beauty was meant to counter Sanji’s face and this whole scene lol. What sanji will learn from this island, it’s something not many want to learn whatsoever!

Rating
10 Out of 10
Great Chapter, with excellent transitions within the chapter from funny, to serious, to funny, and vice versa the last page just had me laughing and I’m sure I’ll continue laughing at it for weeks to come lol. Wb on the move, garp and ace appearance and meeting and the new information we’ve received I just found this chapter just perfect. I pointed out mini seemingly plot hole’s but that’s to do with the past chapters rather than this chapter.

Prediction

Well we won’t be seeing luffy for a while, and I think the main focus next week maybe ace and garp, I also think we will get revelations on brookes ussop and robin’s locations next week, but no mini story focus, just an obvious way of them being on their islands showing a way for them to get stronger. I believe Chopper and Zoro will get similar mini stories as luffy, as these two were in the worst conditions.

Well I would have released this chapter yesturday but the site got upgraded and I got my nights sleep. Well as always your views and opinions on the chapter and the review are really appricated, also comments of review improvements will be taken into consideration.
Hope you enjoyed this review

RobinotX
November 20, 2008, 05:07 AM
Nice review ;).

The Underscore
November 20, 2008, 07:27 AM
Nice Review Neo.
The only thing I found disappointing in this chapter was the fact that Margaret was left behind in the way she was :(. But I suppose having Margaret join the crew while Luffy has other things on his mind (his brother and crew) is something that wouldn't seem right.
I also found it nice to see that Oda has found a way to power up Nami and Franky without having to use haki even more. Maybe the rope trick will be used to make a Perfect Climatact Plus or something for Nami.
As for the power up for Franky, it is only obvious that he can only power up by upgrading his robotic parts I think. The only thing I want to know is whether the genius of the island is Vegapunk or someone else. Maybe you could give your opinion on that? :amuse
As for what Oda did to Sanji, it is even more cruel than he did to him in one of his short cartoons. At first I thought it would be possible for Sanji to be sent to an all men island, but then I remembered that Oda already had Sanji working at an all men island to the point where he got sick due to the lack of women. That's why I thought he wouldn't do something like that, but to send him to an okama island is just something I couldn't (didn't want to) think of. Maybe Sanji has to learn Okama kenpo or something?

MAX_COLA_POWER!
November 20, 2008, 05:51 PM
Great review Neo^^. Well, let's say goodbye to the Margaret will join theories and say hello to the Hancock will join theories cause YOU KNOW they'll pop up. It was nice seeing Margaret, Sweetpea, and Aphelandra all friendly^^. Jimbei looks like he can be related to the poofy hair Yonkou since they both have the same hairstyle>v<. Anybody but me think that Sengoku is nothing but hype? I smell high position just for money. Granted that he IS voiced by Pride of fullmetal alchemist in the funi dub, maybe instead of the ultimate eye, he has the ultimate pidgeon, his seagull. Ace.....; Am I the only one who noticed that Nami's sky island is on a bubble? The Franky pose was nice, but it's not the same with random yahoos. We need Kiwi and Mozu back, or get some afros for Nami and Robin. And Sanji, Bon Clay we need you bad so you can rescue him.

ninjaa
November 20, 2008, 06:42 PM
Hey Neo! I haven't had much time lately to post, but I've been reading your weekly reviews and I have to say you are much better now than when you started. Just wanted to talk about a couple of things about the latest chapter and arc. First, about Margaret not joining, there is still a possibility she might come. Luffy has said that he will be back one day with his crew, and how knows, maybe after Luffy has learned how to fully utilize his Haki he will add her to the crew later on in the story, since Margaret already knows how to use Haki. The last page was freaking hilarious and I think the thing Sanji will learn on this island is to not judge people by their appearance and rather by how they are on the inside. I mean, when he meets a woman, he instantly likes her and he really needs to learn how to differentiate between good women and bad women haha. About the sky island that Nami is currently on: I don't think the island is as high up as the sky island that they visited before, from the picture it looks like the island is floating from the hot air balloons or whatever.
I also wanted to point out something about Haki and how it is obtained. Someones Haki is determined by the strength of their heart. For example, Boa Hancock, who is considered the greatest beauty and strongest on the island, has a high Haki because she emits an aura where she feels she is above others. I'm sure you've met someone with Haki in your real life. A person with Haki has confidence that others can feel. For example, if you met someone in real life that is a Marine you can sense this aura of strength and confidence emitting from them despite not knowing them. They (the Marine) also know that they are strong in their own mind and it spreads. One Piece takes this to the next level (past reality) by actually letting Haki affect people like an actual aura. Someone like Zoro, however, doesn't have Haki. He has a form of Haki called "Sakki" aka "killer intent." Due to all his victories with his swords Zoro emits a demonic aura that lets you know that he can and will likely kill you, if you are against him (not that he would actually kill anyone but thats how it feels). For example, in Street Fighter, Akuma has the strongest Sakki while Ryu has a strong Haki that comes form the strength of his heart. Phew sorry for the long post just didn't have time before to say any of this just wanted to know what you think. Thanks for writing a review each week, it really does make MangaHelpers a much better to visit weekly.

neomaster121
November 21, 2008, 11:50 AM
@Robin
thanks

Nice Review Neo.
The only thing I found disappointing in this chapter was the fact that Margaret was left behind in the way she was :(. But I suppose having Margaret join the crew while Luffy has other things on his mind (his brother and crew) is something that wouldn't seem right.
I also found it nice to see that Oda has found a way to power up Nami and Franky without having to use haki even more. Maybe the rope trick will be used to make a Perfect Climatact Plus or something for Nami.
As for the power up for Franky, it is only obvious that he can only power up by upgrading his robotic parts I think. The only thing I want to know is whether the genius of the island is Vegapunk or someone else. Maybe you could give your opinion on that? :amuse
As for what Oda did to Sanji, it is even more cruel than he did to him in one of his short cartoons. At first I thought it would be possible for Sanji to be sent to an all men island, but then I remembered that Oda already had Sanji working at an all men island to the point where he got sick due to the lack of women. That's why I thought he wouldn't do something like that, but to send him to an okama island is just something I couldn't (didn't want to) think of. Maybe Sanji has to learn Okama kenpo or something?

Well all depends on the new world conditions but if they can get to the strength levels of the current Sanji without haki (i believe he'll learn haki too) i think then they have a gd chance of surviving without needing help all the time.
I myself think that this is vegapunk's homeland, it seems to have many already smart people being called the futuristic island so its only natural for vegapunk a genius said to be 500 years advance came from this island.
Lol that last page, i just felt for sanji, i guess thats for all the Zoro jokes he used to make hehehe... but i don't think he'll learn okama kenpo, i woudn't see the point of learning bon clay martial art style when he's already shown himself to be better than it, and by now surpassed it. On this island i find it hard to see what he will learn, i jsut hope he doesn't learn haki the hard way lol

Great review Neo^^. Well, let's say goodbye to the Margaret will join theories and say hello to the Hancock will join theories cause YOU KNOW they'll pop up. It was nice seeing Margaret, Sweetpea, and Aphelandra all friendly^^. Jimbei looks like he can be related to the poofy hair Yonkou since they both have the same hairstyle>v<. Anybody but me think that Sengoku is nothing but hype? I smell high position just for money. Granted that he IS voiced by Pride of fullmetal alchemist in the funi dub, maybe instead of the ultimate eye, he has the ultimate pidgeon, his seagull. Ace.....; Am I the only one who noticed that Nami's sky island is on a bubble? The Franky pose was nice, but it's not the same with random yahoos. We need Kiwi and Mozu back, or get some afros for Nami and Robin. And Sanji, Bon Clay we need you bad so you can rescue him.

hehehe yea those theories will pop up more frequently now but after margaret wasn't joining i realised we won't have a new member joining with luffy at this moment.
Sengoku is probably more like spandam in the sence that he's weaker than the people he controls, but with his goat he might have a secret attacking style never seen before lol
Lol i hadn't noticed the bubble just saw the cloud and assumed it was the cloud supporting it, nami and robin doing the super pose with afro's would be a laugh to see but with robin's pride it would never happen, I don't even think Bon Clay could save Sanji now lol.

Hey Neo! I haven't had much time lately to post, but I've been reading your weekly reviews and I have to say you are much better now than when you started. Just wanted to talk about a couple of things about the latest chapter and arc. First, about Margaret not joining, there is still a possibility she might come. Luffy has said that he will be back one day with his crew, and how knows, maybe after Luffy has learned how to fully utilize his Haki he will add her to the crew later on in the story, since Margaret already knows how to use Haki. The last page was freaking hilarious and I think the thing Sanji will learn on this island is to not judge people by their appearance and rather by how they are on the inside. I mean, when he meets a woman, he instantly likes her and he really needs to learn how to differentiate between good women and bad women haha. About the sky island that Nami is currently on: I don't think the island is as high up as the sky island that they visited before, from the picture it looks like the island is floating from the hot air balloons or whatever.
I also wanted to point out something about Haki and how it is obtained. Someones Haki is determined by the strength of their heart. For example, Boa Hancock, who is considered the greatest beauty and strongest on the island, has a high Haki because she emits an aura where she feels she is above others. I'm sure you've met someone with Haki in your real life. A person with Haki has confidence that others can feel. For example, if you met someone in real life that is a Marine you can sense this aura of strength and confidence emitting from them despite not knowing them. They (the Marine) also know that they are strong in their own mind and it spreads. One Piece takes this to the next level (past reality) by actually letting Haki affect people like an actual aura. Someone like Zoro, however, doesn't have Haki. He has a form of Haki called "Sakki" aka "killer intent." Due to all his victories with his swords Zoro emits a demonic aura that lets you know that he can and will likely kill you, if you are against him (not that he would actually kill anyone but thats how it feels). For example, in Street Fighter, Akuma has the strongest Sakki while Ryu has a strong Haki that comes form the strength of his heart. Phew sorry for the long post just didn't have time before to say any of this just wanted to know what you think. Thanks for writing a review each week, it really does make MangaHelpers a much better to visit weekly.

Ah thanks it's gd to know that im making progess ^_^
THe thing about luffy comming back, the island is in the calm belt, so unless Nami learns that wind knot technique and does it on a high power level the crew couldn't travel back, (though the paddle system in sunny go could take them) also traveling through the calm belt means they are no longer going to Fishman island so i don't think that will happen, so in my opinion thats one of those "see ya later" even though you know you might not situations

It could be that nami isn't as high up but travelling up into the sky for 3 days and nights does seem to me to suggest that they are high up., but if its a bubble (from mangrove) or a hot air ballon then as you suggest it can't be that far up in the sky.

I like your explanation of Haki, and Oda has started to catorgorise haki, we know know about the king's version but i myself think Zoro has either king haki or Demon king haki, cause i think silver is Zoro counterpart to the gold rodger crew (with gold rodger being luffy's), but then there's the added gold rodger had the power to hear all things, Zoro heard the breath of all thing. Also things like mantra are now seemingly looking like a form of haki, if this is the case then sakki maybe named as another sub form of haki good theory i must say.

Kaiser Will
November 21, 2008, 10:23 PM
Excellent review neo. I like the part that you say about Boa and his beauty, Oda is really making an effort to draw her as the most beatiful character in OP.
About Sanji, I guess you are right, Oda have to hate him a Transvestian Island, but the last scene make me laugh so hard that my face hurt.
Poor Ace, where are the prisioner's right's, they at least take of him for Ace didn't die before the proper execution.
And finally Jimbei, it's about the time Oda. But is he really in ID for going wild in HQ.
Maybe he help Luffy in ID.

neomaster121
November 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
Excellent review neo. I like the part that you say about Boa and his beauty, Oda is really making an effort to draw her as the most beatiful character in OP.
About Sanji, I guess you are right, Oda have to hate him a Transvestian Island, but the last scene make me laugh so hard that my face hurt.
Poor Ace, where are the prisioner's right's, they at least take of him for Ace didn't die before the proper execution.
And finally Jimbei, it's about the time Oda. But is he really in ID for going wild in HQ.
Maybe he help Luffy in ID.

thank you
lol yea me too sanji face is just so funny
well with jembei it does seem like he is trapped in jail and they are waiting for him to calm down, but why he's flipping out is what i wanna find out

bopnoh10
November 25, 2008, 10:23 PM
A few things I wanted to mention.

First of all, I thought that the SH's would be meeting Vegapunk to get an upgrade for Ussop, Nami, Chopper, and Franky, but now I think it's apparent that most will be receiving some sort of upgrade. Nami will improve her navigation skills and improve her weapon by mastering weather conditions, Franky will upgrade his machinery and become way stronger (Pacifista-like perhaps??). Sanji will... umm... yeah...

Regardless, this was a great time and method for upgrading characters.

I think that Oda may only do a few mini-arcs for certain characters and leave the other mini-arcs (which I believe he will do) later on when the crew meets back up and tells their story about what happened to them.

Lastly, I think that Boa will teach Luffy some Haki basics... just not sure when.

neomaster121
November 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
A few things I wanted to mention.

First of all, I thought that the SH's would be meeting Vegapunk to get an upgrade for Ussop, Nami, Chopper, and Franky, but now I think it's apparent that most will be receiving some sort of upgrade. Nami will improve her navigation skills and improve her weapon by mastering weather conditions, Franky will upgrade his machinery and become way stronger (Pacifista-like perhaps??). Sanji will... umm... yeah...

Regardless, this was a great time and method for upgrading characters.

I think that Oda may only do a few mini-arcs for certain characters and leave the other mini-arcs (which I believe he will do) later on when the crew meets back up and tells their story about what happened to them.

Lastly, I think that Boa will teach Luffy some Haki basics... just not sure when.

yea i agree with you n i think i said that in a previous review that its increasingly unlikly we will get 9 mini stories of 10 chapters each

well for those waiting for my next review i won't be getting it done until tomorrow but what a chapter just another great chapter i must say