PDA

View Full Version : Just a little thought about Oz

Penny
November 25, 2008, 06:34 AM
To all us loyal One Piece fans, I was just musing about a few things a few days ago.

I felt really bad for Oz. Not just pity, but an incredible amount of sadness. It was exactly as Chopper had said, "The Kage no mi's incredible ability to screw with life."

Oz, a legendary Ogre, fiend of hell who perished from frostbite, resurrected just to get owned by "little pirates" not even 1/40 his size. With his bones crushed, Oz's last conscious thought as a zombie was "this doesn't hurt at all, so why can't I move?"

Oda's villains are always special, and depending on the way he portrays their personal histories, backgrounds, and personality, us readers would either like, love, or hate a villain.

Spandam was an asshole. We find Hachan adorable. Boa Hancock's past softened us.

But Oz. Poor Oz. Even in all the battle discussions and amv vids found on youtube, you can't find anything dedicated to Oz at all. Everyone was rooting for the Strawhats to pwn the Moria + Oz combo. Even I was.

Enough with me rambling. This is just me thinking that Oz deserves more love than he gets. :D
I really wish some day someone would just write a fanfic of Oz going on an adventure on sea, back in the days when he was alive.

I suppose Moria did something nice after all, using Shadow Asgard to take away Luffy's shadow from Oz. That way, Oz's corpse could finally find some peace.
http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1842/breakingmoriasneckny4.jpg

bittman
November 25, 2008, 06:32 PM
Haha, yes. What we need is:
An Ode To Oz by Oda
Assonance is rife.

I would very much like to hear more about Oz's past a bit more, perhaps "Ogre island" is somewhere in the New World? Out of all the villains we've had though, I found OzLuffy quite likable of course.

Penny
November 25, 2008, 07:43 PM
Heh. Thanks, bittman~! I think everyone here hates me or something. :D

I know! I look forward to see the island where it's so cold that Oz could be frozen~! I mean, if an island just for okamas exist, then anything else could.

OzLuffy was super adorable. When Franky did the super mecha dock system, Oz was truly Luffy.

fallou
November 25, 2008, 10:54 PM
Look at it this way: the "real" Oz wasn't a really good person, but he died a long time before the TB events. As for the Luffy-Oz, he was only Luffy's shadow in another body, accting recklessly both because Moria controlled him and he was separated from his original self( luffy). Anyway, what I'm getting at is that the Oz you're talkin about was a part of Luffy, and is now back to its owner. As for his adventure, Oz is going on with it, cause just before beating Moria, Luffy says smthg like:"hey, my shadow, if you wanna be pirate king, hurry up and come back with me".Which the shadow did.
That said, ogre island would be awesome.
Oh, and I don't think anyone here will hate you because you're defending a villain, especially such a funny one. Oda makes bad guys that you end up liking;
Remember even that bastard Wapol found redemption by making children toys xD

bittman
November 25, 2008, 11:03 PM
Arlong and Crocodile will never find redemption. Haven't had a hated villain in One Piece since Crocodile:
* Bellamy was cannon fodder and got a bit of a pathetic end that makes you feel sorry for him.
* Enel was a slight mental case, so it's hard to hate him completely. Also, he found midgets on the moon who are just so adorable.
* CP9 are government, can't really call them villains since they are fighting for the "Good" side with a bit of a twisted mentality.
* Moria was easy to empathise with given the crew he's lost.
* Duval. Just LOL.
* Kizaru not a villain.

Nearest thing we've had to a villain since Crocodile is the Tenryuubito. But since they aren't that strong, it's more just "evil guy #6531" and not "memorable villain #6".

ALSO! What is to say Oz was a bad guy irl fallou. Nicknames aren't always indicative of their personality. Rayleigh is the Dark King, if we'd never met the guy I would already assume he was ruthless enough to make Arlong cringe.

Onomatopoeia
November 26, 2008, 12:43 AM
I actually liked most of the bad guys of TB, they were all interesting with well thought out pasts and their reasons for going evil ranged from reasonable to evil, which I thought was a good mix.

Oz didn't interest me as much as Moria who I've always had a soft spot for, but Oz was a good villain and I thought he was cool while Luffy's shadow inhibited his body but you've got to remember that Oz was only like that while Luffy was in their. Thats not the original Oz...so this guy could have a very different personality once upon a time.

Penny
November 26, 2008, 02:54 AM
fallou: Thanks for the support~! :3
Isn't Oz kinda like the Pirate King of the past though? But instead of pirate, he was like an ogre king? :D
Lol. After watching the Drum Kingdom remake, I found a new villain to hate. Wapol's older brother is just so ... ugh. Wapol is comparatively a saint. Funny chubby one too.

bittman: I miss talking with you. I've been so busy lately. I agree that Arlong will always be a supremacist, but it's just surprising how different he is from other fishmen. Most other fishmen/merfolk we have seen are pretty friendly and harmless, but you get the occasional Kuroobi, and those trio who always kidnap Caimie. I think there might be a reason for Arlong to hate humans though, especially if he went through the same things Hancock did.
Rayleigh is pretty shabby for a former second mate. Not that he needs to look powerful. :D

Onomatopoeia: Yea. I see your point. Oz may have been a tyrant, but I'm a softie. :P

Kaiser Will
November 26, 2008, 09:25 PM
hauhauhauahuah! I agree with your cause! Poor Oz! He was awoken for a 500 years slep, death, and after this obligeted to fight against the supah SH pirates, that we love so much!
And because of that everyone doesn't have compassion for him.
Although for what they said about Oz, he really deserves the punches of Nightmare Luffy :p!

Penny
November 27, 2008, 01:48 AM
@Kaiser Will

Lol! I know! Dying, then waking up, just to be pwned by the uber strong Mugiwara crew working together?

I found this awesome amv on youtube that shows the complete Oz vs. Mugiwara crew fight. I know I'm not supposed to post links, but I think this is too relevant (and too awesome).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ5ipQ588wg&feature=related

My first reaction was "this is too awesome for words", but later, after I started this thread, I was like "Oz got all his bones shattered by Luffy's gigant bazooka. Why do I feel so sorry for him?"

kkck
November 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
I dont think oz deserves pity though. Moria and robin whi knew of oz´s past said he was a devil who ruled with terror(or something along those lines). So no pity on the real oz.
As for the recent oz, he was an unnatural insult to life itself. If anything, the end he had was fitting since he was finally allowed to rest in peace. IMO even if oz in some bizarre twist turns out to be a goof guy, his most recent death was actually a favor done to him since he was given a way out of that miserable excuse of an existance he was given by moria.

Kaiser Will
November 27, 2008, 04:24 PM
Wow nice amv!

The beauty about this fight against Oz is the fact that we see all the SH working together against a commom foe! Though they just manage to defeat him with a little help from Luffy!
Because we can noticed that with this body and Luffy's shadow, Oz is sure an enemy that deserves respect!

@kkck

We know the fact the he was a really bad guy, he really deserves the spank!
But what we are trying to show is that is "called" to fight a fight that belongs to another guy, and because of this he really end up screw up!

Fox666
November 27, 2008, 04:49 PM
Oz was way too much overpowered, I can't believe that toy is broken... Hope Vegapunk do something with the monster.

Penny
November 28, 2008, 01:53 AM
@ kkck: Ah. I like the way how you see it. More like a favor to Oz than a punishment. At least Moria removed Luffy's shadow from him soon after. Didn't leave Oz too horrified in his boneless predicament.

@ Ilovefoxes: Lol. I doubt Vegapunk will know about it. The World Government doesn't know much about Gecko Moria, and his army that he WAS amassing. :D

@ Kaiser Will: Thanks~! Gia secando makes awesome amvs. :P
Maybe not as great as JuniZorofan, but he's getting there.

MadDog
December 20, 2008, 03:58 PM
Oz gets my sympathy for having Moria sitting in his stomach and driving him around like a giant meat robot.