PDA

View Full Version : OS Mac? Windows? Linux?

glasskatana
September 05, 2006, 08:59 PM
Yes, I thought it was about time for this. What do you use? I use a Mac, and I love it *dodges debris*. Of course, I expect almost all the votes to be for Windows. :notrust But it's still good to know. And if you have/use two or more, such as Windows and Mac, vote for the one you prefer/think is better in other words mac. :D

You can offer personal opinions about the operating systems, or articles or updates or such here as well. For instance, Apple has realeased a sneak peak at what it's new operating system will be able to do.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/timemachine.html
I encourage you to check out all of those movies and read all the articles, not just time machine. :thumbs

LadyHatake
September 05, 2006, 09:07 PM
Macs have time machines on them? o.O

I have all Windows at home, but for yearbook we use Macs (ibook, eMac, etc) because macs are the only ones that support the programs we need.

What's a Linux, though? >.>

HK-47
September 05, 2006, 09:24 PM
i use linux, because it does everything i need to do on my pc, it's free both in terms of cost, and from the questionable practices by certain software companies (Windows Genuine Advantage, anyone?). although i still have windows XP installed for when other people in our house want to play windows-only games, i do know i will NOT be using the upcoming windows vista, as i don't think it offers anything more than a prettier interface, while being incredibly bloated and resource hungry when compared to XP.

glasskatana
September 05, 2006, 10:25 PM
i use linux, because it does everything i need to do on my pc, it's free both in terms of cost, and from the questionable practices by certain software companies (Windows Genuine Advantage, anyone?). although i still have windows XP installed for when other people in our house want to play windows-only games, i do know i will NOT be using the upcoming windows vista, as i don't think it offers anything more than a prettier interface, while being incredibly bloated and resource hungry when compared to XP.

ah. I've had many of my friends tell me that they think windows vista copied a lot of it's appeareance from Mac. I myself have yet to see it and will not comment on it.

Macs have time machines on them? o.O
They do now (soon)

What's a Linux, though? >.>

I've only used linux a couple times so I'm not really confident in explaining it. Hoepfully someone else will visit the thread and talk more about it (or HK-47 can explain it. :D)

HK-47
September 05, 2006, 10:52 PM
well, i'm not very good at explaining things, either, but maybe this will help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Hermie
September 07, 2006, 08:34 AM
Mac for editing of stuff, and personal computer/web browsing, etc.

Windows for games. ^_^

Haven't had any experience with Linux yet...

Xenos
September 07, 2006, 02:32 PM
Mac sucks ^^ i hate the layout and the fact that if anything goes wrong you have to bring it to the shop.

Personaly i use Windows Xp Pro on my Laptop and 2nd (gamming Comp) and Linux with a Windows interface on my main Desktop.

eni
September 07, 2006, 03:54 PM
Laptop/Workstation -> Linux Gentoo

PC1 -> OpenBSD
PC2 -> WinXP (just for Poser, Terragen and such stuff)

Any questions about Linux? Just ask :D

Syaoran
September 07, 2006, 04:08 PM
Laptop: Gentoo Linux (for everything except the XP stuff) / Windows XP (.Net development & tablet with PS/Illustrator/OpenCanvas)
Desktop: Gentoo Linux (torrents, movies, music, database for my pass.
Old box: Gentoo Linux (apache, mysql & ftp)

And as you see... no games :)

I'm done with PC gaming... it became too additive. Instead, I play on my PSP for half an hour. that's enough ^^

glasskatana
September 07, 2006, 08:13 PM
Mac for editing of stuff, and personal computer/web browsing, etc.

Windows for games. ^_^

Haven't had any experience with Linux yet...

Exactly. I personally like Mac better for everything except gaming in which Windows is obviously superior. Luckily I don't play computer games.

yeste
September 08, 2006, 08:09 PM
For the last 5 or so years I’ve been on various versions of XP. And I grow quite accustomed to it…

But now, I’m fooling around with some distro’s of Linux… A friend gave me Slackware couple of days(maybe weeks?) ago, and told me “ that’s all you’ll ever need!!!” “ Have fun setting it up!!! And don’t give up!!! It’s all explained in the How To’s…” “ :p”!!!

And I read a looot of those damn How To’s… So, now I’m switching between XP and various Linux distributions ( checking them out… Still don’t have a favorite??? There are so many!!! I’ve seen/tried Slackware,SuSe,Mandriva,K/Ubuntu and Fedora ), but I need another box in order to really switch to Linux. Damn XP, I probably won’t ever be able to leave it behind :) !!! I’m too used to it…

I’ve also tried a couple of Betas of Vista/Longhorn, but I didn’t like them at all… Too many flashy things poping out of nowhere for no reason… And it also made my PC work really slow in both 32 and 64 bit versions???

And here’s a shocker for the end… I’ve never seen Mac OS!!! I’ve seen some screenshots of how the environment looks like, but never had the chance to use one… ?

I'm done with PC gaming... it became too additive. Instead, I play on my PSP for half an hour. that's enough ^^

Me too!!! :p But I'm done with gaming overall!!! Dont play anymore :s

glasskatana
September 08, 2006, 08:12 PM
And here’s a shocker for the end… I’ve never seen Mac OS!!! I’ve seen some screenshots of how the environment looks like, but never had the chance to use one… ?
*jaw-drop*

Me too!!! :p But I'm done with gaming overall!!! Dont play anymore :s

Then you should consider getting a new Mac (if you have the money). I can't reccomend it more. Especially now, since it can also run windows.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 04:48 AM
What is Gentoo Linux? A linux distro?

yeste
September 09, 2006, 06:11 AM

Yeap!!! I didn't use this one yet... Here's some info on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentoo_Linux

@ gka I'll think about it, but thats a big maybe for me :smile-big

Predator
September 09, 2006, 06:41 AM
Well ..... this is an interesting thread. I guess I'll share my info as well.

I'm using something I like to call "Abnormal XP". It's a customized and tweaked Windows XP Pro. Using this it's easier to experiment with various new progs and ..... a bit of other sphere - games, as well. After all, nobody can deny that software developers favor MSft and that's why majority of games and progs are Win-addicted. XD

At the same time, I pretty much like other two OS better.
Linux is the freeware version and that's the easiest way to screw every license checking authority. And it let's you do all the primary functions needed. (I'm talking about default setup)

Mac is my favourite. If only it wouldn't be so darn expensive, I'd have it all over the place: at home, in cottage, at work, in the university.....
What attracts me to Macs are their performance. No other OS is able to launch every single prog available and not even blink or lag. We've done that kind of experiments in many occasions, but it has always been the same - perfect performance.
[/rant]

glasskatana
September 09, 2006, 11:03 AM
Well ..... this is an interesting thread. I guess I'll share my info as well.

I'm using something I like to call "Abnormal XP". It's a customized and tweaked Windows XP Pro. Using this it's easier to experiment with various new progs and ..... a bit of other sphere - games, as well. After all, nobody can deny that software developers favor MSft and that's why majority of games and progs are Win-addicted. XD

At the same time, I pretty much like other two OS better.
Linux is the freeware version and that's the easiest way to screw every license checking authority. And it let's you do all the primary functions needed. (I'm talking about default setup)

Mac is my favourite. If only it wouldn't be so darn expensive, I'd have it all over the place: at home, in cottage, at work, in the university.....
What attracts me to Macs are their performance. No other OS is able to launch every single prog available and not even blink or lag. We've done that kind of experiments in many occasions, but it has always been the same - perfect performance.
[/rant]

yeah. Macs on average are about 1000 dollars more than PCs. Makes me sad.

Luckas
September 09, 2006, 05:56 PM
From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.

_V0iD_
September 10, 2006, 01:19 AM
From what I understand Mac are expensive and the hardware is below that of pc.

i agree, although the mac software is tweaked and optimised to make the most out of that hardware. I use windows xp, because everything works on it, its performance is great on my setup, WGA doesnt bother me, and, unlike linux, where you have to find alternatives to commonly used programs, which suck, or use wine, which defeats the purpose of linux, (except amaroK, if there was a windows version of amaroK, the world would be a better place)

Luckas
September 10, 2006, 04:31 AM
What is amaroK?
Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
Does anyne use Suse?

_V0iD_
September 10, 2006, 05:11 AM
amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux

Luckas
September 10, 2006, 05:24 AM
amaroK is a music player. simply put, its awesome. i would not reccommend suse, its package manager is rpm based, and its not very good. suse is also quite bloated. if you are gonna install linux, install the latest version of Ubuntu (6.04), its by far the best, but still complex. If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux
I have an old Athlon XP 1600 and 256 MB and friends of mine say that this configuration is ok for WinXP. I have to change SO, because a lot of programms doesn't run on Win98.
So you think I should try Ubuntu as linux distro?

_V0iD_
September 10, 2006, 05:29 AM
yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help

destinator
September 10, 2006, 05:39 AM
Windows...

Gonna try linux sooner or later... =)

Luckas
September 10, 2006, 05:44 AM
yes definately. or Xubuntu, which is ubuntu with the XFCE window manager, which is lighter and much less resource hungry than the ubuntu one, which is GNOME. check out www.ubuntuguide.org for getting started help
I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?

_V0iD_
September 10, 2006, 05:46 AM
yep, kubuntu is ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME. KDe is also resource hungry, and i dont like it much, but its personal preference really

eni
September 11, 2006, 03:12 AM
Gentoo is a distro with a BSD-like port system and you can built it from the scratch (bootstrap). Don't try it as a Linux beginner, it's a distro for ppl who know what to do and theres no newbie support for basic problems.

Now Linux should be less complex than it was and it has a lot of programms, except videogames.
I'm using Win98 (old computer) and I don't know if to install WinXp or Linux.
Does anyne use Suse?
That's not really true. You can built a game-optimised distro or use game emulation and there are also a bunch of cool linux games. Linux has it own Gamers Scene, just check it out. Of course, if you don't want to try other games, you should better stay with a win system.

Linux Gamers FAQ (http://icculus.org/lgfaq/)
http://nwn.bioware.com/downloads/linuxclient.html
http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Emulators/Videogames/
http://www.linuxday.at/gallery/Wine-und-Emulationen
http://www.linux-gamers.net
http://www.linuxgames.com
http://games.linux.sk/index.php
http://www.google.de/linux

Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.

I'm checking it. I like it's based on Debian. Do you know Kubuntu?
Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.

Predator
September 11, 2006, 03:21 AM
If its a choice of winxp or linux, i would install winxp, unless my computer was <1ghz and had <256mb ram, in which case i would leave win98 on or install linux

Well ...... there are enought resources on your comp to install WinXP. :amuse
I have been able to make XP run on 500Mhz Pentuim I with 64Mb RAM and 8Mb integrated video. And all the things go smoothly.

Come to think of it I once did the same thing with 266Mhz MMX Pentuim as well, but it had some problems with ability to handle large amounts of info, like the net connection and third generation game software....

But the buttomline is .... defined requirements are for those, who don't know that everything in this world is relative and can be altered. :p

_V0iD_
September 11, 2006, 04:42 AM
winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.

eni
September 11, 2006, 04:48 AM
winxp on a 500mhz pentuim with 64mb of ram? how the hell can that run smoothly? must have taken a helluva long time to start up. I meant that to get decent performance u would probably want 1ghz or greater and 256mb of ram or greater. I can remember running win2k with 64mb of ram.... it was horribly slow.

Hm, i'm running my xp on a 450mhz/512mb K6-2. It's ok, but youtube videos are snatchy and rendering (Poser/Terragen) takes forever.

Luckas
September 11, 2006, 06:30 AM
Also, don't use Suse. It's a nice distro for beginner, but you won't learn a thing about linux and won't learn how to help yourself.
Yes, it's like a easy version of Debian. Ubuntu is higly recommend for every linux newbie. I prefer a light window manager (I use fluxbox), but if it comes to decide between gnome and kde, then i prefer gnome.
Years ago I helped a friend installing linux, it was using gnome interface and its brown color really make me sad. Yesterday I checked a little Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and so probably I'll try Kubuntu for the Kde interface; I don't like the brown of Ubuntu.

eni
September 11, 2006, 07:19 AM
Years ago I helped a friend installing linux, it was using gnome interface and its brown color really make me sad. Yesterday I checked a little Ubuntu and Kubuntu, and so probably I'll try Kubuntu for the Kde interface; I don't like the brown of Ubuntu.
The gnome layout is blue (http://www.gnome-ev.de/index.php/Screenshots), but you can customise it much better then windows. Ubuntus colour (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop) (red-brown? earth-brown?) fits the meaning of ubuntus name very well, don't you think so :)

In any case YOU can customise your desktop like you want: KDE "sexy desktop howto" (http://www.pro-linux.de/berichte/jpgs/sexy-desktop/index_html_2de384cc.jpg)

http://www.gnome-look.org
http://www.kde-look.org
Wallpapers (http://images.google.de/images?svnum=10&hl=de&lr=&q=sexy+wallpaper)
my older fluxbox ones (http://dpaschen.free.fr/screens/) (oh god, how crappy - i need new screenshots)

Predator
September 11, 2006, 09:45 AM

:sweat ...... my mistake ..... the comp with 500Mhz has 128 MB RAM .... Just checked.
And it's running smoothly, same as every other computer I have. No significant lag observed. :p

Luckas
September 11, 2006, 11:43 AM
So what are the differences between Kde and Gnome?

@Eni: Thanks for the links.

_V0iD_
September 11, 2006, 07:11 PM
They are different desktop environments. I myself prefer GNOME, because KDE looks ugly and i especially hate its start menu

eni
September 12, 2006, 05:29 AM
It just depends on taste. KDE looks like windows, maybe thats why it's prefered by beginners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Window_manager

Gnome and KDE are desktop enviroments, full of things you could need. File manager, calender, sound server, image viewer, a set of basic programs, own desktop games, icons, themes, login manager, ......

But most of this things are useless for me and I prefer to use KDE file manager and Gnome Texteditor, also KDE's japanese learnings programs but Gnomes image viewer. I use the Enlightment sound server and login manager and I have no need for a office suite, 'cause I use Lyx/Latex.

That's why I choosed a light window manager like fluxbox or xfce. It comes with nothing, no programs, no usefull stuff ... but I can install whatever I want, take the best parts of other wm's and built my own desktop enviroment from the scratch, so to say it :)

CupofDice
September 15, 2006, 05:14 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for almost a week, and I love it. I installed Mandrake 10.1 a while ago, but it didn't recognize my winmodem (I now have cable), so I sorta gave up. I will probably wipe my whole drive soon to give it more than than the 15 or so gigs it has now (my drive is around 60) since (other than Microsoft Reader) windows has nothing I need. What is best is the stability (my XP Home is dying on me with long startups/shutdowns/Explorer crashing), and the complete safety from viruses/malware. Plus everything just works and is free. :smile-big. I prefer Gnome because of the simplicity and not having a 20 or so programs beginning with 'K'.

sakura_uchiha
October 29, 2006, 02:08 AM
I use windows, and i probably wanted to switch to mac soon >.> Just for curiosity's sake ;)

glasskatana
October 29, 2006, 11:14 AM
I use windows, and i probably wanted to switch to mac soon >.> Just for curiosity's sake ;)

yes. Join us. :D

Hawkuro
November 06, 2006, 07:46 PM
I use Windows mainly because it´s compatible with just about any application out there, But I´d like to try Mac sometime, Leopard looks shiny.

zypher
November 20, 2006, 06:06 PM
I use windows at the moment (mostley cuse i got it for free)

I simply say like this

Mac = the best hardware

Windows = the best Operating System to play games on

Linux/Unix/Readhatt = very good Operating System for those who like to change and mod in the Operating System

(if you don't agree i don't care)

mangadictus
November 26, 2006, 12:35 AM
Is this thread still open?

Windows for me (cuz I have no choice. compatibility, anyone)

Mac = getting one soon. aside from evolving to unix scripting, really one piece of a great machine, sw and hw wise.

Linux = "j00r b0x $ wyd 0p3n" Script Kiddies & Packet Monkeys, Rejoice! What I'm saying is... Get this If you want the hard and secure way around. That's all there is to it. (Debian, Ubunto and Fedora user)

Choice: Windows (I said, no choice!)

juUnior
January 04, 2007, 07:11 AM
Windows, because like it was said, it's most compatible with everything on programmes stuff, but Linus is better and better on that aspect every year ^^

I vote for Windows, but I also prefer Linux for beieng more "open" xD

Mac - i didn't use it, so i don't know how it is to have such system ^^

Ichimaru Gin n Tonic
January 04, 2007, 05:15 PM
For me, using Windows (XP) is easier since there are more compatible software. Or maybe because i'm just too lazy to try anything else. I tried Linux once, but (imo) you really need a lot of tweaking to get it to work the way you want it to.

TechnoMagus
January 29, 2007, 04:40 PM
WINDOWS for me, KakashiWin-Sensei :Haha j/k

I use windows at the moment (mostley cuse i got it for free)

I simply say like this

Mac = the best hardware

Windows = the best Operating System to play games on

Linux/Unix/Readhatt = very good Operating System for those who like to change and mod in the Operating System

(if you don't agree i don't care)

amen to that!

Linux = "j00r b0x $ wyd 0p3n" Script Kiddies & Packet Monkeys, Rejoice! What I'm saying is... Get this If you want the hard and secure way around. That's all there is to it. (Debian, Ubunto and Fedora user)

yeah, linux for the secure way around...last time i used winxp, 2 attempted attacks per minute! plus, it's more flexible, provided you have the will, the hardware and the internet connection :D; and less resource hungry; e.g. i use a laptop, 1.6 G Celeron, i915 video, 512MB RAM. with XP, running with internet security makes my system run at a crawl. i get faster responses with linux. and i run it on an external usb hard drive sometimes with usb tv tuner AND 3d desktop eye-candy. all this on a system that can barely run vista.

i really like eye-candy so i have a different philosophy for those who want lightweightedness. have you heard the new eye-candy buzzword in the linux world, about 3d desktop? you can see a lot of their demos on youtube. i highly recommend taking a look at them. although mac led the way, linux took it a step further and windows...maybe after vista!

my desktop....

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7347/screenql3.th.png (http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenql3.png)

qwan3356
January 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
I mostly use windows, and is getting to learn Linux, but because of the teacher, its starting to totally get on my nerve. . . lol

thegreatest08
February 01, 2007, 06:53 PM
im using windows, cos ive used it most of my liefe and it is easier to use.

TechnoMagus
February 02, 2007, 01:26 PM
most of your life? ...man i'm old, reminds me of DOS, anyone remembered using that? and 5.25 floppies? heck, i'll be surprised if someone here even remembers using cp/m or a pdp-x or even multics something.

eni
February 05, 2007, 06:02 AM
most of your life? ...man i'm old, reminds me of DOS, anyone remembered using that?
uhm, I'm still using freeDOS on my older maschine :p

woofcat
February 05, 2007, 11:52 AM
I use Linux, amazing graphics in the operating system. Does everything i want and all for free!

Also it doesn't spy on me or stop working if i don't validate. Ahh hell there is no validation.

iThePirate
February 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
Mac. Never played much games on my computer but the ones I've played came out for Mac too so no problems there.
And real men plays console anyways (real women too, just dosen't sounds as good though).
Well, I've got shitloads of experience with Macs, I'm 19 and have been using Mac for 14 years.
As for the nemesis, Micorsoft I have nuttin' but laughter to give 'em.
For instance Vista has copied a lot of MacOsX (hmm might start shortening it to MoX) and I've heard that the new Microsoft "Ipod", Zune isn't compatible with Vista. Anyone knows if this is true? If it is it's just plain stupid on their part if not, well it was funny while it lasted.

LadyHatake
February 12, 2007, 07:25 PM
I'm currently using Windows Vista. Now, while multiple people I know have said it sucks, I'm actually finding no problems with it so far (knock on wood). It's been running fairly smoothly and is pretty <3 I like it much better than XP. All the little tweaks are great ^^

iThePirate
February 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
*Wonders when they'll combine all os's and make one standard*

So Vista actually works? xP

I wonder how it looks, haven't seen that much of it, maybe it's google time.

LadyHatake
February 12, 2007, 08:52 PM
It's actually really pretty. I think it looks alot cleaner and sleeker than XP did.

_V0iD_
February 13, 2007, 12:35 AM
I'm running vista too, although im not sure the timer stop crack is working since although its been stuck on 29 days remaining for about a week and a half, it keeps asking me to activate.

Anyway, it doesnt run as smoothly on my pc as XP did, even with it using my 1GB pendrive as extra memory. My setup is a 2.6ghz celeron, 1GB ddr2 ram, 128mb radeon 9550 running dual 17" crts and a 300Gb sata hard drive, and vista runs a bit sluggish even with some aero features disabled. I assume its because of my processor, the lowest rated component of my PC. I did notice a slight speed up when disabling my Avast! Anti virus (its a pity AVG doesnt work with vista yet)

I love the cool aero feature when you click a button in the quicklaunch bar and all the windows go sidways 3D and you can choose which one you want, and i love how you can stretch a video over two screens (in xp one screen remained black) so playing multiplayer xbox through my tv card is way cool since you can get a screen each.

Other than that, vista isnt much of an upgrade to XP really (unless you have an uber next generation graphics card that needs directX 10). Now, if only linux could play halo natively.... then we'd have an operating system worth using.

iThePirate
February 13, 2007, 09:09 PM
Just watched some screenshots and well, they simply just stole like 75 to 90% of the desgin from MoX.

Not to mention the widgets, had 'em for a while never used 'em though.

Paper
February 17, 2007, 12:31 PM
i'm using windows XP pro right now... i'd use linux if it had a more user-friendly interface, and if third-party developers amde more games for it...

iThePirate
February 22, 2007, 04:39 PM
On the matter of Windows and MoX: http://www.current.tv/pods/supernews/PD05440

Wörrd.

Beam
March 27, 2007, 02:40 PM
Windows cuz Im a gamer and Mac ain't for gamers though i don't know if Linux can play the same games as Windows

iThePirate
March 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
Just got an intel-mac, meaning I can use both XP (atm) and MoX.

Hello to all the worlds open-source programs.

Terra
April 03, 2007, 05:05 AM
Linux :)

Although Im forced to use windows sometimes =/

~Lilium~
April 03, 2007, 10:49 AM
i have window... i haven't tried even tried a mac once. i wish i could... to see the dfferene

PaperYomiko
April 03, 2007, 05:36 PM
i have window... i haven't tried even tried a mac once. i wish i could... to see the dfferene

Go to an Apple Store, you can try one there :amuse

I have a mac, although I need to be getting a new one soon. This one's a bit old and tired... it's too slow to play KF's One Piece releases :darn

I used a pc in high school, but it was a nightmare. It broke a lot and I could never figure anything out. I think macs are a lot easier for technologically impaired people like me.

btw, what is Linux? I know, I'm really ignorant...

iThePirate
April 03, 2007, 05:38 PM
What mac'cha got now?

~Lilium~
April 03, 2007, 08:35 PM
yeah.... what's linux
don't worry yokomi yomiko... (:sweat), i'm ignorant too... :(

PaperYomiko
April 04, 2007, 12:05 PM
What mac'cha got now?

An ibook from '02... I'm hoping to get a mac book pro by the end of the summer...which means I have to start waitressing again...*sigh*...

it sounds like you have one of the new ones, how is it working out for you? I've really only heard good things about them... any problems I should know about before i go and sell my soul?

TechnoMagus
April 04, 2007, 02:43 PM
re: linux
google and wiki it... :notrust
in short it's an open source (source code is available, which you can see, edit, compile yourself if ur so inclined) operating system based on unix with a whole class/suite of applications written for it.

btw, mac os has a unix like backend (kinda like dos compared with windows 3.x/9x/me)

iThePirate
April 04, 2007, 07:10 PM
An ibook from '02... I'm hoping to get a mac book pro by the end of the summer...which means I have to start waitressing again...*sigh*...

it sounds like you have one of the new ones, how is it working out for you? I've really only heard good things about them... any problems I should know about before i go and sell my soul?

I have nothing but good things to say, haven't tried any hardcore gaming since I don't play games but overall it works like a charm.

Btw it's a 21" iMac Intel I've got. Also, I have two iBooks from '02 here, hate 'em...

PaperYomiko
April 05, 2007, 12:00 AM
I have nothing but good things to say, haven't tried any hardcore gaming since I don't play games but overall it works like a charm.

Btw it's a 21" iMac Intel I've got. Also, I have two iBooks from '02 here, hate 'em...

two ibooks? what on earth does one do with two ibooks? :blink
but I've actually had no real problems with mine, except that its just very outdated. and the screens broken, so sometimes it'll be really dark and then get blindingly bright. but that's not mac's fault, it's my cats :darn

thanks for the info, though. I'm not a gamer either, so that's no problem. my brother has one of those imacs, actually, and loves it. I'd get one of them instead, but a laptop's more practical for me.

and TechnoMagus, thanks for the info... kinda went miles over my head but I appreciate it anyway. When it comes to explanations of technology, I usually take a page from Luffy's book and conclude that it's a Mystery Computer XD

iThePirate
April 05, 2007, 01:16 AM
Wonderful, it worked out.

I found a mystery 'bout computers aswell, well maybe not as much hardware as software (Azureus), well here's the pic of it

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/Jyanken/Moneyshot2.gif

Wonder how much it'll have downloaded when complete...

Yamazuya
April 11, 2007, 09:44 PM
ah yeah, Azureus does that quite often. It's magic, I tell ya.

As for me, I've been using Macs for all of my life except for a few times at work. I've had nothing but good experiences with them and I can recommend 'em to anybody looking into getting a stable machine for online experiences and any degree of graphic and audio work.

current household items:

'02 15" iMac (G4)
'03 12" Powerbook (G4)
'05 14" iBook (G4)
'06 17" iMac (Core2Duo)

iThePirate
April 12, 2007, 08:36 AM
For now I'm tryin' to figure out which ports are best to use, guess work at it's worst, think I kind of screwed Azureus up a bit :)

Azurel
April 15, 2007, 08:24 AM
windows (ultimate OS for pc dummies :nuts *points to herself*)

Emery
April 20, 2007, 04:03 AM
Windows. I hate Macs.

I have a pretty silver HP desktop with a 19'' flatscreen monitor, and a Toshiba laptop w/ 17'' widescreen.

Runemage
April 20, 2007, 04:38 AM
windows xp

my entire pc setup is in black, mmmm colour co-ordination is great :XD

ran0001
April 22, 2007, 10:39 AM
Windows. I haven't used anything else and I'm not willing to.

yoniekai
April 23, 2007, 03:26 AM
i use windows (xp, and dad's vista :D) and linux (slackware)

linux distros are great. makes windows look like internet explorer as to firefox :D

Davox
April 23, 2007, 03:09 PM
Wow a lot of windows users. Well I personally own A computer that uses windows, but at school I use the macs just because they are so freaking sweet. I mean almost everyone I talk to doesn't like to use a mac because they look weird, or have no right click button it takes like an hour to figure everything out plus Macs almost never get viruses. And honestly I like the way they minimize windows if you have never seen it try it, it is very entertaining.

PaperYomiko
April 23, 2007, 10:48 PM
And honestly I like the way they minimize windows if you have never seen it try it, it is very entertaining.

It's pretty fun, I agree :XD

But I don't think mac's look weird, I think they're sweet...of course, I'm biased. But really, I think Apple has excellent designers. It seems to be something everyone else is having trouble competing with.

TechnoMagus
May 03, 2007, 08:09 AM
Wow a lot of windows users. Well I personally own A computer that uses windows, but at school I use the macs just because they are so freaking sweet. I mean almost everyone I talk to doesn't like to use a mac because they look weird, or have no right click button it takes like an hour to figure everything out plus Macs almost never get viruses. And honestly I like the way they minimize windows if you have never seen it try it, it is very entertaining.

hmmm, then you haven't seen this....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9FgLr9oTk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7u5WFoK7yY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqkvhlrJh8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwrdNSElEtU

and so on.....

makes the others look lame....too bad my video card has a hard time supporting it... :crying
[hr]
there's now a windows port for the 3D desktop cube thingie found on linux!
http://keznews.com/2705_Yodm_3D_-_3D...s_XP_and_Vista (http://keznews.com/2705_Yodm_3D_-_3D_Desktop_for_Windows_XP_and_Vista)

http://chsalmon.club.fr/images/cube.jpg

http://www.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/26/260261af076779e82a0aaa8f14350f3a51743.jpg

more bloat and calories for your struggling pc! :XD

iThePirate
May 03, 2007, 09:57 AM
There already is a desgin feature like that in MacOSX, Though I have to say it's not quite as "advanced" or thought through, but the spinnin' cube is there nonetheless. Which just gives to show that Microsoft sucks at design (duh?!). :D

yoniekai
May 03, 2007, 10:11 AM
well them MS guys steal a lot from others. heh. deal with the devil. :)

also im not that impressed with windows aero. beryl is more awesome.

and ithepirate, could you kindly tell me who is that in your sig? :jk

iThePirate
May 03, 2007, 11:23 AM
Elena Santarelli :D

Hot isn't she?

MS is a bunch o'stinkin' design-thieves..

TechnoMagus
May 03, 2007, 11:45 AM
hey, microsh!t didn't design that!
it was third party...don't blame the devil's consorts, blame the devil! :grin
but i wouldn't mind being the devil if she's ^^ my consort... :jk

tried the cube thingie when i....errr...
"was tempted by the devil to use his product..." :jk well actually needed that for sony vegas... :p

it only works horizontally (x-y axes only no z i'm afraid...), not really "3D" in the strictest sense... :notrust
unlike beryl/compiz.... :kkthumbs

iThePirate
May 03, 2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah well last I heard was that MS blaimed Apple for stealing Vistas design for MacOSX which is really funny since OSX was released a loooooooooooooooong time ago. Anyways Apple has the design part in the bag and now with the Intel-Macs they'll totally rule.

erikrhys
May 08, 2007, 03:12 PM
i like apple, but only for making media

iThePirate
May 08, 2007, 04:40 PM
Well apart from design and iPod, that's what they're good n' famous :amuse

erikrhys
May 08, 2007, 07:25 PM
^
you are so freaking right 8_8 ipod really put apple on the market! as well as the imac..........basically I-anything will become popular in this culture..........

iThePirate
May 08, 2007, 08:01 PM
Alot of other companys name their stuff "i".

iRiver for instance, an mp3 player, that aint as good or as pretty as iPod but still had some recognition.

Must say though, hate when other comapnys use the "i" to either try n' connect their product with Apple or just 'cause they think that the "i" means people'll buy it.

amar_kun
May 08, 2007, 08:34 PM
the latest 'i' i've found so far is 'iGoogle'... kinda personalized web page of google.. something like MyYahoo!

woops.. am i being out of topic here.. :D

iThePirate
May 09, 2007, 06:22 AM
Anyone else gots an Intel-Mac?

PaperYomiko
May 09, 2007, 09:36 AM
I will soon! I'm thinking of selling a kidney so I can get one faster... :XD
mine is doing all the weird things my brother's did before it crashed...everytime I use it I expect to see the blue screen of death any minute :s

erikrhys
May 09, 2007, 11:02 AM
dude, my parents bought the imac when it first came out....the bid D shaped ones.....and i must be honest.....it is slow as all hell...............

iThePirate
May 09, 2007, 04:56 PM
Had one o'those D-shapes aswell, but htta was like 8 years ago.

Nah I was curious if anyone knew what DiskMountNotify was.

Found out today, it's somethin' evil Symantec has made to mess with my computer it ate 4GB of virtual memory and 99.70% of the CPU. :wall

Maxell
May 20, 2007, 08:16 AM
I use windows and I have tested ubuntu linux and it was awesome and I have
considered to change my operating system to linux because it's free and I can
do all usual thigs with linux... (Linux is more stable than windows!)

But if I was some kind of movie editor etc. I would use mac because it's the best
operating system for that and the best programs for editing are for mac...

Everyone will find his/her own operating system depending on what you do with
your computer. Gamers will use windows, editors will use mac and the people who
works with codes use linux.

Meccamputechture
May 25, 2007, 09:53 PM
Windows XP Home Edition. I'm not a serious computer user; very casual. I think I can safely say, it's all I'll need for a long time.

woody_green
May 26, 2007, 08:42 AM
I use XP Media Center Edition, but I prefer Ubuntu Linux. There's a couple of errors in my memory, that's why I can't install the latter :darn

mrcongojack
January 21, 2008, 06:13 PM
What OS are you using? Are you a Mac person? Do you use windows? Or perhaps you are using one of the 100,000,000 linux offshoots.

So, which is it? And why?

Windmillblade
January 21, 2008, 10:43 PM
i use a windows xp holding at max 18 gb. just enough to watch my weekly anime and music. im a simple folk.

godofthesunn
January 22, 2008, 10:53 AM
Sadly windows xp but I feel at home with this os. I've tried linux and its okay but theres something to be said about just being weened on windows i have more knowledge and control over windows than i would linux unless i felt like learning it but perhaps one day i'll change my mind

Ragna-sama
January 22, 2008, 04:18 PM
I´m using windows xp professional sp 2, 32bit edition. I prefer windows xp ( not vista), because I play very much.
Mac is also good, but I think the time machine is a waste of hdd space. Furthermore I think Mac only looks good, if you get software from your friends, you always have to search an alternative.

Flavor
January 22, 2008, 07:26 PM
I use Windows XP SP2.

I tried out Ubuntu 7.10 and SUSE but in the end, I'm still using Windows.

mrcongojack
January 22, 2008, 09:07 PM
I use Windows XP SP2.

I tried out Ubuntu 7.10 and SUSE but in the end, I'm still using Windows.

I tried out Ubuntu as well. I had for about two weeks, and then I got my first update and everything went screwy. Right now I'm using Windows XP on my 6 year old dell without windows explorer. How'd I lose explorer? I have no idea. I've tried everything: restarting my computer, going into the task manager and go "new task" and run explorer.exe, using my reinstall disk to repair, nothing. Perhaps it's the age of my computer, perhaps my XP isn't the greatest issue, but I'm making the switch to Mac. I've tried linux, I've tried Windows, now I just want something that isn't trying to assimilate me. :)

Leen
January 22, 2008, 11:40 PM
Using XP for the moment. Will probably switch to Vista after the service pack is out. It's too unstable for now and it takes up a whole chunk of my memory.

Most probably switch to Mac if I decide to go into freelance digital editor/designer.

_Zac_
January 28, 2008, 06:34 PM
I use windows xp. I heard Mac was only good if you want to make media (animation, video, music) which is not what I want to do (programmer all the way). I have always used a PC and nothing else so I can't really make an opinion.

KyanWan
January 31, 2008, 05:53 AM
Man, I love Linux. Rocks. Been running it going on 7 years ... erm ... on 2 different servers. So, I've been living in SSH (Putty, more exact.) BASH FTW!

I tried it as a desktop - but - alas, no game support.

I'm too lazy to set up a dual-boot ... or, more like it- I'm too lazy to boot into it then restart and boot into win - I like seeing 1 month uptimes - XD

So, Winblows XP for me.

Like HELL I'd ever run Vista. UGH. And of course, I've got a copy of Vista - legit even. They gave it to me with my Laptop - said "Here, take this, you'll upgrade that shiny new laptop to a 486sx-25 / 4mb. You'll be KEWL LEET ZOMGX0rZ!!!"

Yeah, sure. I take one look at this "ready for vista" laptop - and laugh at the notion that it's even capable of running vista. At all, let alone good.

My Linux builds of choice:
- RedHat/Slackware ( Server & net applications. Good ol' classic builds. )
- Debian ( Desktop - feature rich & e-z with Apt/Aptitude )

CupofDice
February 03, 2008, 11:01 PM
I run ubuntu gutsy gibbon 64 bit. Have been for a more than two years now. Was running vista when I bought my new comp back a few months ago, but removed it by mistake when trying to install a certain hfs based os (which I am trying to do again in vmware and on disk). If I do get it up and running, I will dual boot. I also have XP running in virtualbox since I need IE for my math homework, and ie6/7 through wine doesn't have all the features. I love linux, though you can easily run into the same weird wtf type problems you have on XP, but unlike XP they are usually fixable.

thiagojoe
February 14, 2008, 01:45 PM
I use indows XP, mainly because my desktop is shared by my familiars. Windows is a lot simpler to use. I don't intend to change for the Vista for now.
I have tried Linux on my ooooooold PC. but it was an HD-shared mode with Linux, so it gave me much trouble when my HD crashed and i had toi format it. For the sake of my computer (and my family not killing me ^_^) i used only windows from then on. but i intend to have a new PC or notebook linux moved!!!! I personally like it because it gives more flexibility, reliability and network safety. And nowadays there are many linux-based programs, though i'm not keeping up with the linux community lately.
By the way, i also have a palmtop with palm OS, and i really love it!!! i use it for playing, reading books and manga, gathering data... oh, and occasionaly for some useful things like working, hehehe!!!

Baron Hugenstein
October 19, 2008, 03:19 PM
I use Windows XP, service pack 3.
I used Linux and Mac, before. But i wasn't really comfortable using, so i stayed with XP

Shiro-kun
October 19, 2008, 07:57 PM
I kinda use both Mac and The P.C
I like using the Mac for Photo or Art Editing (my friends use it more than i do though :(), and also downloading music on to it other than that i think the mac has no other use besides (besides having another computer to look inside the internet).

and My Lab Top is a Windows, i use a lot when typing reports or powerpoints, researching and searching the internet (because its simpler to do so than the mac).

LadyHatake
October 28, 2008, 09:42 PM
II used Macs in high school for Adobe InDesign for Yearbook. I loved it, but can't afford Apple comps :p Though, the new MacBooks are <3333

It's the first time I've ever seen/used Linux, and so far I like it :) Takes a bit of getting used to though.

And I run Vista on my home laptop. Doesn't have SP1, even, seeing as how I got it the week it came out >.>

Monte
October 29, 2008, 08:40 PM
If you are doing some job related to computer and don't know anything about unix, they'll beat you up... for sure.

LadyHatake
October 31, 2008, 09:53 PM
I don't work on computers or anything, I sell them :p I've never had a customer look for Linux xD

Monte
November 01, 2008, 03:43 AM
Yup, thats actually one pathetic elitism in computer-specialist's(mostly programmers) world so they can distinguish themselves from "normal people"(loser XP users, according to them).
I don't get it either but most of our teachers pay attention to that so i just have to go along with whatever they say, if i want to pass that is...

arslan
November 01, 2008, 12:25 PM
i am running vista on the laptop and my desktop is running Ubuntu (linux) for the past few months after i threw a tantrum and installed it when my genuine and updated Xp was struck by the same virus twice in three days time. I am generally very satisfied with Ubuntu though would also like to test out fedora.

_Zac_
December 02, 2008, 07:26 PM
I'm using Vista on my new laptop (thinking of dualbooting XP soon) and linux on my older computer.

jukrat
December 17, 2008, 01:35 PM
xp sp3 on hp pavillion, win98 on my old one(pentium2) hehe still using sometimes though

Adorien
December 20, 2008, 06:27 AM
I'm using Windows XP. Never used anything else, so... can't really tell if I like it or not. The computer is my brother's, so I don't really have the right for an opinion. :darn

StarlightDreams
December 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
I use Windows, haven't tried anything other than it, it's alright I guess. I have Windows Vista right now~

XxVascoxX
January 02, 2009, 03:49 AM
I'm a hundred % windows XP and pc as Windows run a lot more of application ,program and Warez stuff .whereas For Mac its a bit difficult.Linux is good too but it requires time to be used to.

I feel that Mac tries to limit the market for application to only itself.

Sarvorva
January 05, 2009, 09:49 AM
i like linux,,, but i use windows xp sp2....

Takamura
January 08, 2009, 02:00 PM
I'm using GNU/Linux only now. I started using it some 8-9 years ago. I had Windows installed on my computer until 1 year or so later. At the beginning I used Guadalinex (a Spanish government distro). Now I have debian on 2 partitions and gentoo (half-installed) in another partition. Probably I will only use gentoo on the near future, and maybe have a look at the Hurd.

I used Windows last year for a programming job, but I quitted last December (salary too low). I have 2 other jobs where I use only GNU/Linux (scientific computations and web design). I like GNU/Linux because it is free (as in freedom) and more flexible, customizable, fast, reliable... than Windows or Mac, but I think it needs still a lot of improvement (specially on documentation).

The window manager I use is xmonad. I tried many of them, but this is the best for me. Mouse is barely needed and it's pretty fast and elegant (only 1500 lines of code or so). I consider Gnome or KDE too bloated.

Editors: vim (usually) or gedit (when I need better character encoding support or to write something in Japanese). Maybe I will switch to emacs or yi in the future.

polaris
January 13, 2009, 05:57 AM
at home xp sp2 but at school vista..

XxVascoxX
January 13, 2009, 09:05 AM
69% Windows (xp, and vista on dual boot and all my program and Files on windows)
21% Mac As i have one ipod touch and my sister uses a Mac Air (besides i really like itunes and cover flow)
10% Linux as i had in 2006 i asked/applied for ubuntu and use it for three months but still i was not (at that time) a developer so i stop using it ..At that time it was free to download and you could receive it by mail ....i've got the version 6.06Lts For pc (i believe therer's for mac too)

misterchaos
August 15, 2009, 11:21 AM
I use windows :p i dont kno nothing, and i mean nothing of computers... :p :p :p

Rainier
August 23, 2009, 12:36 AM
69% Windows (xp, and vista on dual boot and all my program and Files on windows)
21% Mac As i have one ipod touch and my sister uses a Mac Air (besides i really like itunes and cover flow)
10% Linux as i had in 2006 i asked/applied for ubuntu and use it for three months but still i was not (at that time) a developer so i stop using it ..At that time it was free to download and you could receive it by mail ....i've got the version 6.06Lts For pc (i believe therer's for mac too)

I love iTunes cover flow and Internet Safari aswell, but I don't have a MAC so I downloaded them for my PC =D

If I were choosing, I'd rather have a MAC over a PC/linux everytime... I just love the style.

itaspira
August 23, 2009, 12:44 PM
i use linux(my dad forces me _ _' )

Peculator
August 23, 2009, 07:02 PM
I use Mac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macintosh) for editing stuff, internet life, and such, and for the gaming computer, I use Windows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows) XP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP) version.

Snow Leopard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.6) coming this September meanwhile Windows 7 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7) with general retail availability set for this October. I can hardly wait for the both releases.:)

I prefer Macs 'cause its less-malware, less-virus and less threat rather than Windows that has lots of virus threats, malwares and others. Plus, Windows has market dominance in OS market which makes viruses love Windows.:D

GEshode
August 24, 2009, 03:30 PM
I have Windows, always had, never felt like changing...

I prefer Macs 'cause its less-malware, less-virus and less threat rather than Windows that has lots of virus threats, malwares and others.

But don't you think, because there are not many viruses for mac, yet, that if they come it is easier for them to get into the computer, because there is no good anti virus stuff for mac, or is there?

Rem91
August 25, 2009, 08:35 AM
I primarily use Windows for general home use and editing, but I have no problem with either of these systems. I'm not all that interested in desktop programming, so I have little experience with Linux.

Macs are an easy yet linear platform to me, so I'll stick with Windows.

In the end, all of this fanaticism is worthless and incorrect - all operating systems can get malware.

Unproductive
August 25, 2009, 08:56 AM
Mac & Linux

Windows XP at work.

Peculator
August 30, 2009, 06:48 PM
But don't you think, because there are not many viruses for mac, yet, that if they come it is easier for them to get into the computer, because there is no good anti virus stuff for mac, or is there?
Yes, there's various anti-viruses for Mac in market today. For example, iAnti-Virus by PC Tools and Avast! for Mac version while the others like BitDefender and KasperSky that still in beta phase. Just choose according to your preferences, that's all.:)

muge
August 30, 2009, 08:01 PM
I prefer Windows XP.. I wanna try Linux though..

Can't get used to Mac. Had one briefly, and I continuously tried to right click, in vain. ;-;

KennethSoulSociety
September 03, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 and Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard.
It pains me to say this but I still use Windoze XP for my photoshop purposes. Sigh.

†:wtf†

Googlez_kun
September 03, 2009, 09:25 AM
windows xp was always epic win and that's why i'm still using it!:)

Arrogance
September 05, 2009, 11:40 AM
I've got myself Widows, not really a fan of mac, apples cool and all but i think a lot of their stuff is too flashy for me and overpriced. Like people give the excuse that Macs dont get viruses and stuff but I don't either with my windows because I have decent knowledge of computers. Thats just my preference. I plan on getting Windows 7 when that comes out, my friend has the Beta version and it just looks sick, all the kinks from Vista have been fixed and then some. A lot fo cool features :D.

merru
September 09, 2009, 07:59 AM
windows ..since all the games I played only can be use in windows
*foreign online games

never used Linux or Mac yet ..but I really want to try linux once

Bugzee
October 09, 2009, 07:15 AM
Windows and slowly gettin into Mac's - they're alriiight! But Windows most of the time!

fedrorpet
December 08, 2009, 05:21 AM
Windows 7

* Better at synthetic benchmarks.
* Faster transfer of large files.
* Final version likely to improve.
* Suspend/resume works!
* Desktop search is well implemented and can go online.
* Media libraries can be pinned to the start menu and task bar.
* Jump lists can genuinely help improve efficiency.
* Starter: No Aero and no 64-bit.
* Home Basic: Developed for emerging markets.
* Home Premium: Standard edition including Aero and touch.
* Professional: Adds remote desktop and encrypted filesystem.
* Enterprise: Unix application support and volume licensing.
* Ultimate: As with enterprise, but for individual users.

Linux

* Faster booting.
* Less memory usage.
* Smaller install size.
* Broader hardware compatibility.
* Nepomuk blurs the border between local and online.
* Gnome Do replaces the task bar entirely.
* Google's Desktop widgets now on Gnome and KDE.
* Starter: No Linux is this restrictive.
* Home Basic: Crunchbang or Ubuntu.
* Home Premium: For eye candy, try Mint or Kubuntu.
* Professional: Fedora offers encryption as an installation option.
* Enterprise: OpenSUSE should work well with Windows.
* Ultimate: No matter which Linux you choose, there's no restrictions.

alpvonkri
December 08, 2009, 06:22 PM
Linux also does the same listed in Windows 7 faster and better

Windows 7

* Better at synthetic benchmarks.
* Faster transfer of large files.
* Final version likely to improve.
* Suspend/resume works!
* Desktop search is well implemented and can go online.
* Media libraries can be pinned to the start menu and task bar.
* Jump lists can genuinely help improve efficiency.
* Starter: No Aero and no 64-bit.
* Home Basic: Developed for emerging markets.
* Home Premium: Standard edition including Aero and touch.
* Professional: Adds remote desktop and encrypted filesystem.
* Enterprise: Unix application support and volume licensing.
* Ultimate: As with enterprise, but for individual users.

Most of Windows 7 features are Linux based, and is true that Windows 7 is a very good product from Microsoft compared to previous, but still Linux offers more, without limitations, and you may configure your Linux to fit all your needs. ^_^

Yusaku Jon 3
December 24, 2009, 06:35 AM
I can use both Mac and Windows, but I generally use the latter as it is primarily what gets used in the businesses that I work with. Windows was really the only OS that my college would teach people to use, as well, and the majority of good PC games which came out at the time were Window-compatible.

Drmke
December 24, 2009, 10:47 PM
Windows 7...I can't stand Macs. The lay-out and programs just aren't for me.

dpsoul
December 28, 2009, 12:54 PM
windows

SketchyPhoenix
December 28, 2009, 02:04 PM
Besides Linux having no 3rd party support, the only real advantage it has is some distros being free.

thornofcarrion
December 28, 2009, 02:32 PM
Windows, and I think this forum needs a poll.

Poll Added :)

Thanks kaiten.

Black Lagoon
December 29, 2009, 05:02 PM
I'll say windows ... because I've never tried Linux :sweat

p1xel
August 25, 2010, 12:54 PM
Windows,maybe beacuse its the most popular?
Though i saw linux,at my friend`s house,and yay its free!
Windows forever.

Charlie
August 25, 2010, 04:25 PM
This was buried in the dirt. lol Nice bump p1xel. ^^

Im using windows. I have tried a mac once. I've used linux with various distros.

Current pc and laptop are windows.

Alterno
August 25, 2010, 08:06 PM
Ok, I use windows 7, I love it. Tried snow leopard, I don't like it at all. The other Os that I would recommend over Snow leopard is Ubuntu.

Black Lagoon
August 28, 2010, 08:41 AM
Linux and windows ... both are good

Jorge D. Dragon
October 26, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'd say Windows. I'm really used to it during my life. And now with the Windows 7 it' optimal for me.:) It's really helpful in finding upgrades for my software))

steelwingcrash1
January 01, 2011, 09:08 AM
Mac seems pretty costly and expensive to afford a system like that. Linux has a system which makes me pretty stupid because I can't seem to understand how to operate it. LOL.

In the end, I'll only use Windows because I'm already accustomed in using it. Why would I make my life harder when Windows is easiest for me to control? :)

rudorofu
January 29, 2012, 08:19 PM
"Once you go Mac, you never go back." - That is my new motto XD I just recently switched to a MacBook Pro after a few years of using HP with Windows and I don't regret it one bit :P It's not that there was anything particularly wrong with the design and efficiency of the Windows OS, but I find that Mac OS suits my style a lot better.

Katz
January 31, 2012, 05:11 AM
As someone who plays PC games at least 30 hours a week (I'm not an addict I swear *shake*), I would never buy a Mac unless I wanted a 1500$ Facebook machine (joke) I don't own a Mac because it doesn't fit my virtual lifestyle and I personally think they are overpriced.

But I do agree that Mac's get some justified and UNjustified hate sometimes though.

goldb
January 31, 2012, 05:33 AM
I'd only ever get a mac as a second computer; though they are awesome in design and functionality. I'm just too used to Windows OS since I've been using pretty much ever since I could use a PC. There was about 2 years in college where I was using Macs more than Windows PC since I was doing a graphics course but that went.

faintsmile1992
January 31, 2012, 09:33 AM
I just use Windows 7, it came as standard and with Linux you have to type loads of text and be online at the time just to install anything. And the software I use is for Windows anyway.

Black Lagoon
February 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
I'll say windows ... because I've never tried Linux :sweat

I take back what I said 2 years now, though it's been a while since i'm using Linux, now I use linux for administrating servers (School's Projects) and Windows for entertainment. As for Mac as Katz said, they are overpriced.

kkck
February 02, 2012, 12:08 PM
I am a windows guy. I have no use whatsoever for a mac and for the most part it would be detrimental (even if it weren't pricy to use it) considering the compatibility issues macs tend to have while at the workforce. If mac were to become a little more mainstream and compatible I would give it some serious consideration although it does kinda feel like some of the advantages of the mac rely on it not being all that mainstream (mainly the not getting viruses part).

moniker
March 08, 2014, 11:55 AM
Windows (XP) from childhood to 2009 (Vista) user for 5 years.

Linux (Ubuntu) is what our college's Public Computer Lab use so I kind of used it even only a brief.
The design is slick and eye candy though it's really quite confusing to use.
I have no idea what I was doing really when I got my hands on it.

For Mac, I'd like to try it out. I really love it's exterior design.

Though all in all, I'd prefer Windows for Casual and Moderate use.
I'm no expert for Linux but I like downloading programs that'll probably Mac will prohibit me most of the time.

M3J
March 08, 2014, 12:04 PM
If I recall, you can run Windows alongside Mac or something, no?

I use and prefer Windows. Mac may be better, but it's too restrictive. Windows is in that sense superior.

benelori
March 10, 2014, 01:27 AM
Windows (XP) from childhood to 2009 (Vista) user for 5 years.

Linux (Ubuntu) is what our college's Public Computer Lab use so I kind of used it even only a brief.
The design is slick and eye candy though it's really quite confusing to use.
I have no idea what I was doing really when I got my hands on it.

For Mac, I'd like to try it out. I really love it's exterior design.

Though all in all, I'd prefer Windows for Casual and Moderate use.
I'm no expert for Linux but I like downloading programs that'll probably Mac will prohibit me most of the time.

Mac is a lot like Ubuntu though, only that it's outward appearance can be customized somewhat...

Try installing Ubuntu on your PC, and install and configure the Cinnamon skin for it...it's pretty cool :nod