PDA

View Full Version : Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30

ttxdragon
July 05, 2009, 05:40 AM
You can see the results of a clear-cut long-story-right-from-the-start manga by a newbie-mangaka in WSJ when you look at Double Arts:

It died fast, because the introductions were done as part of a slowly developing plot instead of the fast-paced 1-3 chapter arcs that are inherent to most WSJ manga's beginnings. Double Arts set an environment and a long-off goal within the first 2-3 chapters while also defining a long way for the story to go. This would be less problematic in more forgiving Magazines (like Weekly Shounen Magazine and Weekly Shounen Sunday) but is a death-sentence for series in WSJ with its fast-cut policy.

A mangaka of which the people just don't know what to expect can't jump into long arcs without the risk of being cut being raised 100% higher than it was before. It might work once in a while but those are real exceptions.

Koshi_Inaba
July 05, 2009, 06:20 AM
Just a little curious, from all the battle manga in Jump, what is your top 5 most violent manga. Mine would be?
1.Bleach
2.Mago (recently, it features a lot of spattered blood)
3.Reborn
4.D.gray-man
5.One Piece

Siberia
July 05, 2009, 06:38 AM
1.D.gray man
2.One piece
3.Gintama
4.Beelzebub
5.Toriko

I was gonna put Akaboshi in my list until the recent chapters dissappoint me. Is it possible that Akaboshi will be cut very soon?

SameOld
July 05, 2009, 08:09 AM
1.D.gray man
2.One piece
3.Gintama
4.Beelzebub
5.Toriko

I was gonna put Akaboshi in my list until the recent chapters dissappoint me. Is it possible that Akaboshi will be cut very soon?

Its position at the moment is very dangerous; it's obviously the closest to being canceled of all the current series. BUT we have a cushion coming next week - Kagijin, unless japanese readers are retarded enough to like it - and who knows how bad the other two will be received. So... I'd say any fans of Akaboshi (myself included) should be prepared to seeing it go after two months, yet it's to soon to lose all the hope.

Cassius
July 05, 2009, 12:20 PM
Preview from 2ch

小ネタ
・33ドベ5 黒子、赤星、バクマン、めだか、とら
 休OP
・34巻頭 虜  C わじま、リボ、鍵

Traslation.

Shonen Jump #33
Kagijin (Cover and Colour Pages)
Ane-Doki, Psyren (Colour Pages)

Bottom

To Love Ru
Medaka
Bakuman
AKaboshi
Kuroko
Jaguar

One Piece (Absent)

Shonen Jump #34

Toriko (Cover and Colour Pages)
Kagijin, Reborn, Wajima(Colour Pages)

Finestela
July 05, 2009, 12:20 PM
Your favorite 2ch spoiler-poster is here: Ko-neta!

120 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/07/06(月) 02:16:12 ID:nZB7BGGR0
小ネタ
・33ドベ5 黒子、赤星、バクマン、めだか、とら
 休OP
・34巻頭 虜  C わじま、リボ、鍵

2009-33 Bottom 5

ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko

2009-34:

Lead CP: Toriko
CP: Wajima, Reborn, Kagijin

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 12:26 PM
To Love Ru actually rose? That much? I can't think of a chapter that was good enough to do that. :lmao

Bakuman yo-yos again.

Damn, well this doesn't bode well for Akaboshi or Kuroko. Consecutive weeks in the basement at this point. Although I did believe that they would be the next cushions. If Medaka continues to dwell in the basement that won't be good for it either.

Although this does make me wonder about(And give hope for) Sket, Mago, and Psyren's position in the ToC.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 12:28 PM
Urgh. Reborn color. I was in denial that series was still in the mag. So wow, Kuroko, what the hell!!?? Weren't you constantly in the top ten all spring? Now last place. Better you down there then Psyren or Mago. I am disappointed with Medaka, I really like it and hoped you'd stick around. Maybe next week. Akaboshi is d.o.a. I expect it to be part of the next cuts. It may be to early to say it, but I think Kuroko will as well.

Although this does make me wonder about Sket, Mago, and Psyren's position in the ToC.

Sket and Mago have both been really high lately, I expect good things this week. Psyren gets center color, so is exempt.

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 12:32 PM
Sket and Mago have both been really high lately, I expect good things this week. Psyren gets center color, so is exempt.

Ah damn, how could I forget the Psyren color when I was anticipating it? XD

And yeah, I'm wondering if both of them will be in the top 5 at this point. Or like last week in the top 6.

kewl0210
July 05, 2009, 12:33 PM
Shows how much confidence they have in Wajima... Doesn't even freaking get the cover. My prediction is it lasts 8 weeks.

Cassius, you left out Bakuman on your list. Finestela's is right.

And you didn't mention about how OP is absent, but I guess it's well known at this point.
So everyone gets a +1, because number one is absent.

And now Akaboshi and Medaka are those cushions and such. Akaboshi really could've been a good series but it just gets confusing. Well, maybe it can still pull back. Kuroko I guess the premise doesn't work well in the long term? Maybe it getting boring after a while. I've read it, and it's sort of episodic in each match. And it's never too exciting even though it goes in with a lot of depth.

And Bakuman sells over 200,000 so it doesn't really need to worry about the TOC. ToLoveRu does well if I remember, over 100,000. It's like how HXH tends to be low because of the hiatuses.
HXH people are saying it'll continue around September or October.

Drmke
July 05, 2009, 12:34 PM
Your favorite 2ch spoiler-poster is here: Ko-neta!

2009-33 Bottom 5

ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko

2009-34:

Lead CP: Toriko
CP: Wajima, Reborn, Kagijin

Damn, Akaboshi is even lower than last. Well chapter 2 wasn't as good as the first one but I thought chapter 3 was pretty good so I will wait till next before I completely give up on it.

So I guess Kuroko is pretty much screwed and Medaka has lost its initial popularity. And dammit Bakuman, stop yo-yoing.

[Cross]
July 05, 2009, 12:38 PM
heh? They didn't like the dog chapter, but they liked the first two...odd. Well I'm kinda disappointed in where Medaka was placed, who knows if it'll come back up, though it'd be a shame if both Akaboshi and Medaka get cut off. R.I.P. Kuroko, even if it is the only sports manga, it has basically taken the place of Hoop Men. I can imagine that they have another sports manga lurking in the not too distant future if they do decide to drop the axe.

Mr. Prince
July 05, 2009, 12:38 PM
This ToC is pure amusement...

Since I don't like Kuroko, I'm pleased again. Sad to see Akaboshi and Medaka nose diving though...they both seemed like good newcomers and I enjoy them to a certain point. Bakuman is doing its crazy yo-yo thing for yet another week and ToLove shows some signs of living.

Very happy to see Toriko taking the front next week even though I would have loved for One Piece to get at least some color for its 550th chapter.

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 12:45 PM
I can't believe this ranking, actually To Love-Ru is on top of bottom 5!!!!

I can't believe Kuroko, Akaboshi, Medaka, and Bakuman lost to To ove-Ru!!!!

Even though the ranking is 8 chapters back, I'm still thinking that these series are actually better than To Love-Ru (well maybe except Medaka because the ranking is on chapter 3 and I had feeling that Medaka might drop to bottom 5).

I hate to say it, but Akaboshi is next one to go out because it is falling down like Asklepios, Meister, and Hoopmen.

I wasn't worry about Kuroko, but looking at this ranking, I'm starting to worry that Jump editors are might cancel Jump's only sport series.

For Medaka, I'm going to make judgement about Medaka's fate until next week's ranking. I'm hoping that Medaka's ranking to rise on short Akune-arc. But, if not, there are definitely about two or three spaces for another new series.

In last, is Tolove-Ru's ranking is on Train-like-character arc? Also, I didn't read this arc, but is it that good?

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 12:48 PM
^That arc really isn't good at all. The only thing going for it is the wow factor that Train Heartnet from Black Cat crosses into the verse...

;1438059']heh? They didn't like the dog chapter, but they liked the first two...odd. Well I'm kinda disappointed in where Medaka was placed, who knows if it'll come back up, though it'd be a shame if both Akaboshi and Medaka get cut off. R.I.P. Kuroko, even if it is the only sports manga, it has basically taken the place of Hoop Men. I can imagine that they have another sports manga lurking in the not too distant future if they do decide to drop the axe.

I'm actually shocked because the dog chapter showed Medaka isn't just some Mary Sue plus the comedy in it was great imo. But well, I guess we will see if it bounces back or not.

I think Akaboshi and Kuroko are dead at this point. The only thing that can save the latter for a little while longer is being the only sports series. But even that doesn't make it deserving of living imo

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 12:49 PM
Worry about Kuroko. With so many established series, that crash to the bottom could cost it. Especially if H x H returns this fall. Kuroko is only safe if only two series debut after the next cuts, Medaka will probably go before Kuroko.

Maxy Barnard
July 05, 2009, 12:49 PM
ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....
AHAHA....
ah....

I'm done. Poor Akira Akatsuki, your art is never reflected in the polls

Kuroko can suck it though

SameOld
July 05, 2009, 01:03 PM
Worst bottom five of the year. At least now we know which series will go down when the next cuts are made. The possibilities are narrowed down to:

- Kagijin and Kuroko (if it keeps up like this and Jump has a new sports series ready)
- Kagijin and Akaboshi (if the above doesn't happen... in which case those retarded Jump readers can go and suck a **** or two)
- Kagijin and Anedoki (if Anedoki fails)
- Kagijin and Waji-whatever (if it fails)
- Kagijin (if only one series needs to be cut).

Medaka is still safe for now.

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 01:08 PM
At this pace, I don't be surprise if Kuroko finishes after Shuutoku arc. And Akaboshi is definitely going to die.

And Medaka, if their ranking rise next week, I think Medaka will become another Gintama and Sket Dance because of their yo-yoing, their ranking is basically random depends on the espisodes or arcs.

So, does anyone knows early ranking for Gintama and Sket Dance? Also, for Neuro, too.

In change of subject, looks like people really don't like about To Love-Ru's improvement (well I"m also not very happy about it). I always treat Tolove-Ru as boundary line for cancallation, if one series goes below To Love-Ru, it means 100 percent cancellation. So, I'm really don't happy about To Love-Ru's ranking.

kewl0210
July 05, 2009, 01:10 PM
...One chapter of Kagijin hasn't come out yet. How the hell do you know it's gonna fail? IT'S A GUY WITH A KEY!!!! IT CAN'T BE BAD!!!

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 01:12 PM
Kagijin and Ane Doki won't be next, one debuted in this week, the other hasn't even started yet :s New series have been getting about 20 chapters before cancellation, those two probably have till November. If Waji is a 9 page gag series, it looks like it will, it has longer, needing more chapters to fill the first volume. Akaboshi has now been at the bottom for two weeks, it could rise, but I can't remember a series debuting this low and suddenly surging past established series. Jump readers don't care about sports series anymore, I doubt Kuroko will be exempted for content, but with Medaka falling into the bottom five by the third chapter, that could protect it for a little while.

So, does anyone knows early ranking for Gintama and Sket Dance? Also, for Neuro, too.

The full TOC doesn't come out till Wednesday. We won't know about Gin and Sket till then. Neuro ended, how could it be ranked >.<

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 01:19 PM
The full TOC doesn't come out till Wednesday. We won't know about Gin and Sket till then. Neuro ended, how could it be ranked >.<

I think he means the first true rankings for the early chapters. He probably wants to compare Medaka to those series.

SameOld
July 05, 2009, 01:19 PM
...One chapter of Kagijin hasn't come out yet. How the hell do you know it's gonna fail? IT'S A GUY WITH A KEY!!!! IT CAN'T BE BAD!!!

Read the one-shot. It's the worst I have ever read since I found out what a one-shot is. That pathetic excuse of a concept would need to be rebuilt from scratch to become something even slightly interesting - no, even if it were, the extremely poor execution would still kill it. Really, it's so bad it's amazing. If that abortion manages to catch the readers' attention I'll begin contemplating suicide. :P

And Kaiten, I think he meant Gintama, Sket and Neuro's initial ToC standings.

ttxdragon
July 05, 2009, 01:24 PM
Is the first chapter of Kagijin released or are you basing your opinion just off the one-shot, sameold? >.>;
took too long to post this >.>;
I don't get how you judge a series based on the one shot -- there can be tons of differences.

To Love Ru's ranking should indeed be because of Train's appearance =3
Too bad they didn't use it for a bigger purpose ;_;

Aside from that, I expected Medaka to go low but Akaboshi might've taken on an overfed market of stories based upon those novels.

Bakuman... I doubt it's gonna get cut before it's natural life-time ends.
It sells well in tanks, yoyo's through the TOC with high positions in there often enough.

It's somewhat sad to see Kuroko die -- it had a nice cast. Though I guess it should've died instead of Hoop men. Hoop was far more interesting, aside from the horrible title <.<;

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 01:29 PM
I think he means the first true rankings for the early chapters. He probably wants to compare Medaka to those series.

Yeah! That's what I'm actually meant, but I already find all of the ranking for Sket Dance, plus for Psyren and Mago.

スケット(Sket)(C:3・18・25・29・37・57・68・83)
*1 *9 11 16 *8 13 17 18 18 17 18 19 20 18 12 16 18 14 *7 *7
11 15 13 *7 13 *5 15 *5 13 11 16 14 19 12 16 16 13 19 15 16
17 18 17 18 17 19 20 18 18 17 13 16 14 14 13 13 10 16 18 16
18 15 15 16 13 14 12 15 11 10 *7 *6 *8 17 17 10 14 17 12 18
18 *8 *9 11 10 13 11 14 15 15 18 15 11 16 *5 *5

サイレン(Psyren)(C:8・17・55・66・78)
*1 *6 *6 12 *9 *9 12 13 15 16 15 15 18 12 18 12 14 11 *9 *8
15 11 *9 13 *9 16 14 19 16 17 18 17 14 13 *9 17 16 17 18 17
18 19 20 19 18 19 16 13 14 18 13 15 16 16 *8 *7 13 12 14 15
16 19 15 11 10 *9 15 15 13 16 *7 14 *9 18 14 15 17

ぬらり(Mago)(C:2・8・15・27・36・50)
*1 *4 11 15 *7 15 *7 *8 *8 12 11 10 11 12 *8 *5 *8 13 11 *4
11 15 11 11 12 14 15 15 13 16 17 *1 *8 10 *8 14 12 10 16 14
17 18 19 19 17 15 18 10 *7 *6 14 13 16 16 16 16 15 18 17 17
18 13 15 *7 *8

By looking at early ranking, Sket Dance also didn't do very well, it even drop down to last place. But it manages to survive for almost 2 years.

My comapring first 10 chapters between Sket and Medaka, Medaka is actually doing slighly better than Sket. So I hope Medaka survive like Sket.

In change of subject, can someone find early ranking and early volume sales for Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21. By looking at Kuroko, I want to know other successful sport series did good from the beginning or they also were in danger during early serialization.

Plus can someone find early ranking for Gintama and Neuro, Too?

[Cross]
July 05, 2009, 01:29 PM
Read the one-shot. It's the worst I have ever read since I found out what a one-shot is. That pathetic excuse of a concept would need to be rebuilt from scratch to become something even slightly interesting - no, even if it were, the extremely poor execution would still kill it. Really, it's so bad it's amazing. If that abortion manages to catch the readers' attention I'll begin contemplating suicide. :P

Woah...dude, is it really that bad? I thought it was alright. But how can you harbor such a deep hatred for the one shot? It might change slightly from the one shot, you never know.

Mr. Prince
July 05, 2009, 01:35 PM
Plus can someone find early ranking for Gintama and Neuro, Too?

Gintama: [Position (Chapter)]
1 (1st) - 5 (2nd) - 5 (3rd) - 7 (4th) - 6 (5th) - 11 (6th) - 9 (7th) - 14 (8th) - 10 (9th) - 16 (10th) - 14 (11th) - 13 (12th) - 12 (14th) - 9 (15th)

Neuro:
1 (1st) - 4 (2nd) - 7 (3rd) - 7 (4th) - 9 (5th) - 7 (6th) - 9 (7th) - 12 (8th) - 12 (9th) - 10 (10th) - 12 (11th) - 12 (12th) - 15 (13th) - 4 (14th) - 10 (15th)

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 01:56 PM
Wow, some of those initial rankings actually do give more hope. Especially if Medaka bounces back. Well if Jump holds off on cutting anything until September that should give us a better view on how Medaka, Akaboshi, Kuroko, and the new series play out.

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 02:04 PM
I think the cancellation is determined by if the series stay in the last place for more than two weeks. The reason is that Sket and Psyren actually went down to last place, but they did manage to escape the last place on the following week. So, if Kuroko escape from last place next week, it has slight chance to survive. Then, I think cancellation is determined by volume sells.

SameOld
July 05, 2009, 02:15 PM
;1438111']Woah...dude, is it really that bad? I thought it was alright. But how can you harbor such a deep hatred for the one shot? It might change slightly from the one shot, you never know.

I know it might change, but you know when the impression you get from something is so bad you can't stand anything related to it? The one-shot left such a bad taste in my mouth - or rather, it left no taste at all, which shows how uninteresting it was - I just don't want to see it done again. Not if it's going to be just another waste of space, and it probably is.

As for why I didn't like the one-shot... it seemed like it was using every shonen cliche to irritate me. I felt like there were many ways to do what the author set out to do, yet he chose the least interesting one. Besides, the battle part towards the end was incredibly bland and simplistic, the supposedly funny parts were stupid, the whole "digging for scraps of the once highly-advanced human civilization" thing has been done thousands of times before and in much better ways. Even the art, which could be its only saving grace, is above average at best. The whole thing was like a manual on how you should not write a battle manga for Jump. What a disappointment.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 02:30 PM
Psyren and Sket both debuted at a time when the middle and back of the magazine were unstable. Now you have Bakuman, Toriko, and Mago occupying the middle tier along with To Love Ru. That tier was less popular, consisting of series such as Neuro and Mx0 then. Sket and Psyren always had less popular series such as Hitomi, La Visiteur, Muddy, K.O. Sen, and Poseidon that polled lower. Also, series like P2, Samurai Usagi, Yusha Gaku that lasted a year despite poor polls protected them; as well as the end of more established series such as Prince of Tennis and Mx0. If Kuroko continues to the poll low it might benefit from the same effect, it's lasted long enough that something new will get fewer votes. Unfortunately for Kuroko the middle and top of the magazine are far less fluid then they were in 2007 and 2008. With Toriko as a high polling hit and Beelzebub a regular in the top five, everything else is pushed down. The success of Mago and Bakuman, despite polling erratically, have closed more spots in the magazine to new series. Signs are beginning to point to a sizable burst in Psyren's fandom, I expect volume 7 will move closer to 100,000 in first week sales. Sket Dance appears poised to get an anime, meaning it is no longer in danger of cancellation. Most likely any new series that bottoms quickly, or series from 2009 that doesn't have the sales to justify low polls, is in immediate danger.

Galactic Tomahawk
July 05, 2009, 02:38 PM
I think I want to see Kagijin succeed even more now. If just for the hilarious haterants.

Not really too much I'm worried about in the bottom 5, Akaboshi is the only one of them I still have much interest in and even that's waning for me. Long as Psyren, Mago, Sket Dance and Beelzebub keep doing alright I'm satisified for now.

SSJWill4
July 05, 2009, 03:32 PM
Shows how much confidence they have in Wajima... Doesn't even freaking get the cover. My prediction is it lasts 8 weeks.

Just wanted to point out that Inumaru Dashi STILL has never gotten a cover page, so I don't think it's necessarily a bad omen seeing as it'll prob be a short gag series and all.

This bottom 5 makes me very happy. Akaboshi, Medaka Box, and Kuroko are all series that I would be fine with being cut. Hopefully this next batch proves to be more successful. I liked Hitomi quite a bit, so I'm looking forward to Kagijin. Hopefully I'll actually have a chance to read Wajima, seeing as gag series in wsj don't seem to really get scanlated all that much. Still waiting on the scanlation for Ane Doki; hopefully it ends up being a good series as well.

Lastly, I really hope HxH does come back in the fall. *crossesfingers*

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 03:43 PM
Gag rarely get covers. Jaguar only gets one a year, but Jaguar is an exception to every rule. The new series not getting the cover is standard practice. And it has to last more then 8 weeks, otherwise it won't have enough pages to fill a single volume.

Akainu
July 05, 2009, 03:52 PM
Does it really? 7-8 should be just fine considering the first and second chapters are usually longer. Chagecha for example was ended with around that amount of chapters.

StrangerAtaru
July 05, 2009, 04:00 PM
To-Love ranking higher...8 issues ago was a CP and the start of the "Train" story, so that explains it. But yeah...Akaboshi bombed, Medaka is in danger too, and Kuroko...just can't catch a break.

Considering this is the gag series, remember that most gag series don't really get covers. Neither of the "Inumaru Dashi" author's works (that or "Maison De Penguin") got nothing more than a "side of a cover" when it premiered, so it's not like it's a bad sign, just that it is a bit less to support it.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 04:07 PM
Does it really? 7-8 should be just fine considering the first and second chapters are usually longer. Chagecha for example was ended with around that amount of chapters.

Chagecha had the usual 18 page chapters. Waji could to, but the preview makes it look more like a Jaguar type of gag. Even with longer first chapter, probably about 25 pages, more then ten chapters will be needed to reach the 150 or so pages needed for a tankobon. Gag series, like Poseidon, usually don't get the quick 8 - 15 chapter cancellations. But nothing really has this year, at least since Meister.

Drmke
July 05, 2009, 04:37 PM
The Kagijin oneshot was just average to me, but who knows, the actual series could be miles ahead of it. I mean usually the series is much better than the oneshot. Hell, just look at Naruto's oneshot. It sucked imo. But we all can see that the series was much better so I think it best we don't jump the gun on hating Kagijin just yet.

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 05:02 PM
We should have predicted that Kuroko would have dropped some point. The reason is that Kuroko's pace is rocket fast, like I think Seihou arc should have last bit more longer, and lack of character development on other characters. I think Kuroko's only hope is sale of volume 2 and the author admit his problem and try to fix it.

Also, there are debate over whether Kagijin will fail or not. Looks like some people didn't like one shot that much, but we should make judgement when it serialized and wait for few weeks. But, there are slight possibility that Kagijin would fail because of pattern about the pattern.

Itou Mikio, Uchimizu Tohru, Kasi Kimiya, and Amano Yoichi, these authors have similarities from each other. They have failed their first series, then they failed or is failing again on their second series. I think their major weakness are the plot. They all have good sense of art, but they don't have good sense for plotline. I think plot is major concern for manga than art. So, I think these artist should paired up with someone who actually have good sense of plot, like Akatsuki starts working with Nisio Isin, famous light novelist. But, Medaka is drop to bottom five, so I'm not sure that my suggestion is good solution, yet. I'm just hoping that Medaka survives and makes example for these manga artists.

Finestela
July 05, 2009, 06:57 PM
I stand by my original assumption... that ToLoveRu had been stick in the back not because of actual rankings, but merely because Yabuki is behind (by a day or even two), and had to turn in his chapters in late for the printing press.

Authors who turn in their pages in late are always placed near the end of the magazine... that's a known fact.

Anyway, with Yabuki caught up and back on his weekly schedule, I'm fairly sure that TLR wouldn't be sticking in dead last that often... :p

Jabberwocky
July 05, 2009, 07:03 PM
Medaka Box right now reminds me of early "Hitman Reborn!" chapters. Its kinda lackluster compared to his other character driven stories I heard of or read.
Nisio Isin(Author) could fail with Medaka Box and come back with something better. He could do a mystery or supernatural genre manga and with his way of storytelling that could be interesting.

Negative Syndicate
July 05, 2009, 07:27 PM
Does anyone know the early ranking and early volume sells for Slam Dunk, Rookies, Whistle!, Prince of Tennis, Mr. Fullswing, and Eyeshield 21?

Drmke
July 05, 2009, 07:48 PM
After finishing Ane Doki's first chapter it seems like an alright series. Weird story pacing with likable characters so it will prob at least make it past the next cuts.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 07:52 PM
Kawashita's name is enough to get it through the next cuts IMO. Past that, who knows.

Rejuvenation
July 05, 2009, 08:40 PM
After finishing Ane Doki's first chapter it seems like an alright series. Weird story pacing with likable characters so it will prob at least make it past the next cuts.

Just finished it and I agree with you there. The concept isn't exactly new but the execution was done nicely and the characters are pretty fun.

Although I doubt Kawashita would get cut the first time around anyway.

ZoddGuts
July 05, 2009, 08:52 PM
Also read the first chapter it was decent first chapter but the concept isn't anything new. Hopefully the manga-ka will thrown a few curve balls to make it interesting.

Lingwe
July 05, 2009, 09:27 PM
I know it might change, but you know when the impression you get from something is so bad you can't stand anything related to it? The one-shot left such a bad taste in my mouth - or rather, it left no taste at all, which shows how uninteresting it was - I just don't want to see it done again. Not if it's going to be just another waste of space, and it probably is.

As for why I didn't like the one-shot... it seemed like it was using every shonen cliche to irritate me. I felt like there were many ways to do what the author set out to do, yet he chose the least interesting one. Besides, the battle part towards the end was incredibly bland and simplistic, the supposedly funny parts were stupid, the whole "digging for scraps of the once highly-advanced human civilization" thing has been done thousands of times before and in much better ways. Even the art, which could be its only saving grace, is above average at best. The whole thing was like a manual on how you should not write a battle manga for Jump. What a disappointment.

Wow, um...best advice I can give you is not to read the series then.

That said I do get the feeling that Kagijin isn't going to do that well. It's another battle manga in a Jump that is already packed with battle manga. If it doesn't have something to set it apart from the others within the first few chapters then I don't think it will succeed in capturing readers away from the others. Still, it's best to not write a series off completely before the first chapter has even come out.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 11:09 PM
More info on the Jump Super Anime Tour:

The featured shows this year will be: Toriko, highlights from the upcoming One Piece Movie (the first directly supervised by Oda), a Naruto 10th anniversary special, a 10th anniversary special for the Yu - Gi -Oh anime, Reborn, and Tegami Bachi. Probably a "special" episode of the first and an advance screening of episode 1 for the latter, but I can't confirm. Last years episodes were streamed with subtitles on the Jump international portal, each were about 23 min. long, the length of a TV show without commercials. Shueisha posted them from late November to late January.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 05, 2009, 11:32 PM
Even if Psyren were to get an anime next year, I wonder if it would only get a 25 episode one like Neuro. That would be very annoying.

Kaiten
July 05, 2009, 11:36 PM
Remains to be seen. Hopefully it will be popular enough not to go the Hoshin Engi route. Much as I hate the filler in long series, 25 episode action anime are a drag.

Sexy Randal 105
July 06, 2009, 12:09 AM
How i feel so out of the loop. I haven't done any research on the new series we have coming. Usually i'm up to date on this stuff. XD

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 06, 2009, 12:19 AM
With the new series, your sig is going to be quite crowded.

Onomatopoeia
July 06, 2009, 12:24 AM
More info on the Jump Super Anime Tour:

The featured shows this year will be: Toriko, highlights from the upcoming One Piece Movie (the first directly supervised by Oda), a Naruto 10th anniversary special, a 10th anniversary special for the Yu - Gi -Oh anime, Reborn, and Tegami Bachi. Probably a "special" episode of the first and an advance screening of episode 1 for the latter, but I can't confirm. Last years episodes were streamed with subtitles on the Jump international portal, each were about 23 min. long, the length of a TV show without commercials. Shueisha posted them from late November to late January.
YES.

I'm also excited for the highlights of the OP movie, it's supervised for Oda so it should be really good.

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 12:35 AM
How i feel so out of the loop. I haven't done any research on the new series we have coming. Usually i'm up to date on this stuff. XD

So when does Toriko, Bakuman, and Mago come out of your sig? I think we can safely say they, at least, will survive. Maybe Psyren and Sket too.

Koshi_Inaba
July 06, 2009, 05:56 AM
Did One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, D.gray-man manage to sold more than 500k from the first volume or only after the anime aired? I mean, I know they are very popular before the anime even aired, but are they that popular?

Finestela
July 06, 2009, 07:47 AM
Did One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, D.gray-man manage to sold more than 500k from the first volume or only after the anime aired? I mean, I know they are very popular before the anime even aired, but are they that popular?

Seeing that other than Bleach, everything else was the "virgin series" for the respective authors... what makes you think they would selling more than 500k per volume?

BTW, both Reborn and DGM are in the 500k~600k range even now... so...

Negative Syndicate
July 06, 2009, 07:52 AM
In my prediction, I think Sket Dance will be rank down to middle or maybe bottom 5 again, after issue 33. The reason is that recent high rankings for Sket Dance are actually about big secret between Bossun and Tsubaki, and I have a feeling that this secret is like hidden card for the author. After Bossun's past arc, it returned to one episode chapter, so I think Sket Dance will return to its normal place. So, I think the author needs another really good arc to pull the series back up.

StrangerAtaru
July 06, 2009, 07:58 AM
10th anniversary of the YGO anime............it's like the Toei series never existed and it all started when NAS started it.

Sounds interesting, the rest of it though.

Koshi_Inaba
July 06, 2009, 08:09 AM
Seeing that other than Bleach, everything else was the "virgin series" for the respective authors... what makes you think they would selling more than 500k per volume?

BTW, both Reborn and DGM are in the 500k~600k range even now... so...

Well, I was just curious whether popular series like them was already super duper popular from the beginning or that they build their popularity steadily .
So I guess they build their popularity right? Anyone know what volume that each series start to reach high point?

In my prediction, I think Sket Dance will be rank down to middle or maybe bottom 5 again, after issue 33. The reason is that recent high rankings for Sket Dance are actually about big secret between Bossun and Tsubaki, and I have a feeling that this secret is like hidden card for the author. After Bossun's past arc, it returned to one episode chapter, so I think Sket Dance will return to its normal place. So, I think the author needs another really good arc to pull the series back up.

Completely agree. Like many other people said, good arc is usually a saving grace for any manga. If the author cannot come up with an even better arc, it will drop again. That's why I have high hope for Mago with it's big arc coming up.

Finestela
July 06, 2009, 08:14 AM
Nope... at least not that I'm aware of...
When a series by a newbie sells for more than 50k, that'd consider to be really REALLY great start ;)

Negative Syndicate
July 06, 2009, 10:08 AM
Does someone knows the early ranking and early volume sales for Slam Dunk, Prince of Tennis, and Eyeshield 21?

Sexy Randal 105
July 06, 2009, 11:08 AM
So when does Toriko, Bakuman, and Mago come out of your sig? I think we can safely say they, at least, will survive. Maybe Psyren and Sket too.

Probably when they are two years old. Has it been two years for Sket yet? It's probably about time to take that out.

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 11:41 AM
Sket turns two this month.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 06, 2009, 12:44 PM
Even if you take out sket, it will still become very crowded with the three new ones coming in.

Crude
July 06, 2009, 05:00 PM
I was hoping for Sket to get a special episode this Jump Festa... Oh well...

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 05:08 PM
I was hoping for Sket to get a special episode this Jump Festa... Oh well...

It will probably have an anime in October anyway. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made before Bon. Hard to fathom them releasing a drama CD with big name seiyuu and not making an anime.

Negative Syndicate
July 06, 2009, 05:47 PM
I think series like Gintama and Sket Dance, which series with lots of one chapter episodes, are giving more chance compare to other series. The reason is that, I think, these series' rankings are depend on the quality if episodes, so they sometimes has good week or bad week, like Gintama dropped bottom 5 last issue and top 5 in Sket Dance. Also, during first 20 weeks ranking for Sket Dance, it was terrible, even dropped to last place, but it manages to survive for almost 2 years. So, I think Medaka might still has a chance to increase because it actually starting their first long arc.

In change of subject, in Kuroko, I wonder why there is still no #7 in Seirin. Is it hidden card character for author or did he just forgot about it?

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 06:44 PM
I can't recall any episodic manga getting special treatment in Jump. As I have said: Sket Dance happened to always have series that ranked below it in the TOC. Every series canceled in the last two years, Mx0 excepted, regularly was beneath Sket. Thus it has been able to forge fan base. Gintama should not even come up in TOC discussions; it sells over 500,000 copies per volume, has an ongoing, 164 episode anime so it is completely untouchable. If a series makes money for Shueisha it's position in the TOC does not matter. To Love Ru, Gintama, D. Gray Man, and Hunter x Hunter are not effected by being in the back of the magazine.

Rejuvenation
July 06, 2009, 07:11 PM
I can't recall any episodic manga getting special treatment in Jump. As I have said: Sket Dance happened to always have series that ranked below it in the TOC. Every series canceled in the last two years, Mx0 excepted, regularly was beneath Sket. Thus it has been able to forge fan base. Gintama should not even come up in TOC discussions; it sells over 500,000 copies per volume, has an ongoing, 164 episode anime so it is completely untouchable. If a series makes money for Shueisha it's position in the TOC does not matter. To Love Ru, Gintama, D. Gray Man, and Hunter x Hunter are not effected by being in the back of the magazine.

If you add the likes of the Trinity, Jaguar, Kochikame, Bakuman, Reborn and Toriko to this it kind of makes you realize just how much less space there is to work with. If WSJ could manage to expand itself somewhat to fit more series in that would be nice granted that is wishful thinking.

How long does it normally take for a tank to come out for a new series. Like 3-4 months?

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 06, 2009, 07:21 PM
It will probably have an anime in October anyway. Don't be surprised if the announcement is made before Bon. Hard to fathom them releasing a drama CD with big name seiyuu and not making an anime.

What is Bon?

tygreas
July 06, 2009, 07:22 PM
a holiday in japan?

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 07:46 PM
Bon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bon_Festival) is the day of remembrance in Japan. It lasts for three days, the country shuts down in mid - August to observe. The August double issue is due to the Bon holiday.

Jump has been reacting to having so many established series this year by adding fewer titles. The only reason so many are being added this month was because D. Gray Man is on indefinite hiatus, and the third series will be a short gag, 9 pages can be added to the magazine if need be. Adding series without removing an equal number would force them to pay more mangaka then they want and raise news stand price, something they desperately don't want to do. Remember, manga anthologies are meant to be dirt cheap advertising for the tankobon.

The first volume of a new series is roughly six months after chapter 1 came out. Volume 1 of Beelzebub and Hoop Men came out last week. Medaka and Akaboshi probably in October or November.

Drmke
July 06, 2009, 10:04 PM
Question: Is this just a list of series in the current issue of SJ? http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html

I ask because if you click on past issues like last week's it has the ToC where this list is for this week's issue. And if this is the ToC that means it is very different.

Negative Syndicate
July 06, 2009, 10:33 PM
I'm not sure this is any good information for anyone or not, but actually Dragonball was planned to cancel with two volumes worth chapters. The reason is that Dragonball falled down to bottom 5 when it started to serialized. So, it was planned to cancel after Goku's first adventure arc.

Then, there were two things that actally saved Dragonball from cancelation. First, Jump editors decided to give another chance to Torishima (author of Dragonball) by changing the series adventure to action, which Torishima add tournament arc, to gain popularity.

Second, when Dragonball was began to serialized, Dragonball began to make animation at the same time as it serialized. It is unusual for series to get animation too early. But, the reason is that Toriyama already become successful for Dr.Slump, so the editors thought Toriyama's next series going to be successful. Luckily, the animation was much better than original manga, so Dragonball become famous work. So, actually Dr. Slump saved Dragonball.

Kaiten
July 06, 2009, 10:43 PM
Question: Is this just a list of series in the current issue of SJ? http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html

I ask because if you click on past issues like last week's it has the ToC where this list is for this week's issue. And if this is the ToC that means it is very different.

While Jaguar is the last series on the list I'm skeptical that it is an actual TOC. Besides Ko - neta never actually being wrong, seeing Medaka in the top 5 is a major red flag. Until Finestela or Heiji post the TOC I will assume this is just a list of series.

Drmke
July 06, 2009, 10:44 PM
While Jaguar is the last series on the list I'm skeptical that it is an actual TOC. Besides Ko - neta never actually being wrong, seeing Medaka in the top 5 is a major red flag. Until Finestela or Heiji post the TOC I will assume this is just a list of series.

That's what I was thinking as well just the fact that the other issues had the ToCs with them it made me think twice a little bit.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 06, 2009, 11:08 PM
Kinda hoping it is though. It would mean that Akaboshi still has some life in it. Although that would also mean that Kuroko's days are numbered.

Crude
July 06, 2009, 11:11 PM
I'm not sure this is any good information for anyone or not, but actually Dragonball was planned to cancel with two volumes worth chapters. The reason is that Dragonball falled down to bottom 5 when it started to serialized. So, it was planned to cancel after Goku's first adventure arc.

Then, there were two things that actally saved Dragonball from cancelation. First, Jump editors decided to give another chance to Torishima (author of Dragonball) by changing the series adventure to action, which Torishima add tournament arc, to gain popularity.

Second, when Dragonball was began to serialized, Dragonball began to make animation at the same time as it serialized. It is unusual for series to get animation too early. But, the reason is that Toriyama already become successful for Dr.Slump, so the editors thought Toriyama's next series going to be successful. Luckily, the animation was much better than original manga, so Dragonball become famous work. So, actually Dr. Slump saved Dragonball.

Umm, I think you mean Toriyama. And is that really true? I though Toriyama only planned on doing the original Pilaf arc and then end the series, but was then pressured by the editorial staff to continue the series.

Negative Syndicate
July 06, 2009, 11:48 PM
Umm, I think you mean Toriyama. And is that really true? I though Toriyama only planned on doing the original Pilaf arc and then end the series, but was then pressured by the editorial staff to continue the series.

You're right, thanks for correcting me. Torishima was editor for Toriyama.

Also, I have some more episodes about Dragonball.

Actually, Toriyama was thinking of continuing series by making Goku to be adult. And actually Torishima oppose the idea of continuing the series, editorial staff also wasn't happy about continuing the series. But, Toriyama threat(?) to editorial staff that "if Goku doesn't become an adult, the story will not make sense." So, editorial staff worried that the readers might complain about sudden change of Goku. But luckily, the readers love adult Goku, so it worked fine.

Also, in chapter 6 of Bakuman:

http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/6/06/
and
http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/6/07/

This short story is actually from Toriyama and Torishima, I think when Torishima was just a newbie.

Also, Toriyama also gives advice to Horii Yūji (creator of Dragon Quest series) to work on game, when Yūji was freelance writer. Also, he was the editor for the series, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibōken.

I think Toriyama is really great editor, and I think currnet bottom 5 series, like Kuroko, Akaboshi, and Medaka, need this kind of editor to gain popularity.

Jabberwocky
July 07, 2009, 01:25 AM

That's what I was thinking as well just the fact that the other issues had the ToCs with them it made me think twice a little bit.
ITS JUST A LIST OF MANGA THAT WILL BE IN THE MAGAZINE THAT WEEK.:darn

NOT THE ACTUAL TOC

The bottom 5 for issue 33 are
ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko
http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump/130790.html

So the one @ http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html for issue 33 can't be right.

Only "this week's issue" section has the correct order every week

What kewl0210 says about it...

Are we SERIOUSLY going to have to go through this every week? That is not the TOC. It's just WHAT'S IN the magazine, written in no particular order. It was the same last week, it sticks the color pages first, then other stuff in a random order. (Also note that the color pages are always NOT the first three.)

Drmke
July 07, 2009, 01:54 AM
ITS JUST A LIST OF MANGA THAT WILL BE IN THE MAGAZINE THAT WEEK.:darn

NOT THE ACTUAL TOC

The bottom 5 for issue 33 are
ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko
http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump/130790.html

So the one @ http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html for issue 33 can't be right.

Only "this week's issue" section has the correct order every week

What kewl0210 says about it...

Well as I said the only reason I was just a little confused is cause last week they posted the ToC for the list of series in the magazine instead of just some random order.

Jabberwocky
July 07, 2009, 02:02 AM
Well as I said the only reason I was just a little confused is cause last week they posted the ToC for the list of series in the magazine instead of just some random order.

Only http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html has the correct order every week.

Estranho
July 07, 2009, 07:25 AM
Only http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html has the correct order every week.
But last week it was correct...

Where does this preview from the bottom come from? I never understand...

Ronin88
July 07, 2009, 07:25 AM
Im happy that Kagijin is getting serialized. I liked the One shot and the concept of the whole thing. I see it getting more popular than Akaboshi for sure.

Negative Syndicate
July 07, 2009, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know the volume sell for Beelzebub and Kuroko's second volume?

Siberia
July 07, 2009, 08:39 AM
Im happy that Kagijin is getting serialized. I liked the One shot and the concept of the whole thing. I see it getting more popular than Akaboshi for sure.

Im kinda surprised Kagijin couldn't get a cover for its debut.

Kaiten
July 07, 2009, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know the volume sell for Beelzebub and Kuroko's second volume?

Those won't be posted till tomorrow.

Finestela
July 07, 2009, 11:37 AM
Im kinda surprised Kagijin couldn't get a cover for its debut.

Actually... you're incorrect. Kagijin will be the lead CP for 2009-33.
It is Wajima's gag that won't be getting the lead CP, with Toriko getting it instead for 2009-34.

Siberia
July 07, 2009, 11:55 AM
Actually... you're incorrect. Kagijin will be the lead CP for 2009-33.
It is Wajima's gag that won't be getting the lead CP, with Toriko getting it instead for 2009-34.

I think I have messed them up (too many new n one shot series coming up in Jump)
so Wajima Satoshi is a gag story?

Finestela
July 07, 2009, 12:04 PM
I think I have messed them up (too many new n one shot series coming up in Jump)
so Wajima Satoshi is a gag story?

Yep, but from the looks of it (and the fact that it's not getting lead CP), it might be a "half-series" like Inumaru and Jaguar, with 9 pages per week.

Not 100% positive though ;)

Drmke
July 07, 2009, 01:24 PM

Well thats the same place the link I had goes to. I know its correct every week and that's where my confusion came form.

Jabberwocky
July 07, 2009, 01:49 PM
Well thats the same place the link I had goes to. I know its correct every week and that's where my confusion came form.

Your link (wrong) Some random order. BEELZEBUB also seems too low. Bottom 5 0_o
http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html
My Link (right) nuff said.
http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html

same place(site) different sections

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 07, 2009, 03:12 PM
They're shown for different issues though.

Negative Syndicate
July 07, 2009, 03:13 PM
I always determine the series whether dead or alive by looking at number of downloads of the series, and seeing the numbers of pages of series from 2ch. I'm not sure this is good way to determine the series, so I want to know others' opinion.

StrangerAtaru
July 07, 2009, 03:50 PM
I always determine the series whether dead or alive by looking at number of downloads of the series, and seeing the numbers of pages of series from 2ch. I'm not sure this is good way to determine the series, so I want to know others' opinion.

Means nothing to me. Just because it has fans doesn't mean that it's getting the votes in the magazine, nor does it take into account future popularity. A series that may have a slow start may end up being huge much later while a series that starts huge may collapse rather fast too (Ral Grad & Double Arts come to mind), so don't get too excited by some of those factors.

Jabberwocky
July 07, 2009, 04:45 PM
They're shown for different issues though.

One is a preview of the upcoming issue with a random order listing to show what will be in the mag as a preview for that issue and the other is for the current issue with the order/rank the series are listed in the printed Table of Contents for the issue.

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html
Is not the order it is listed in as in the printed magazine.(issue 33) as their is no cover yet.

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/index.html
current issue according to shonenjump.com (issue 32) that came out. (Ane-doki cover)

Drmke
July 07, 2009, 05:22 PM
Is not the order it is listed in as in the printed magazine.(issue 33) as their is no cover yet.

I agree with you it is probably not the ToC but just so you know last week the ToC was available for the issue with Anedoki before the cover was available.

Koshi_Inaba
July 07, 2009, 05:28 PM
Finestela or Heiji will post the TOC soon, so just wait until then

kewl0210
July 07, 2009, 09:11 PM
Current status of new series, for those keeping track of trends... I copied this from 2ch.

Here's a recap of new series if you're keeping track.
PSYREN  8話目でセンターカラー 連載中
PSYREN 8th Chapter center color Currently Serialized
K.O.SEN 初回以外カラー無し 12話打ち切り
K.O.SEN Besides its opening, no colors Canceled at ch. 12
MUDDY  初回以外カラー無し 12話打ち切り
MUDDY Besides its opening, no colors Canceled at ch. 12
私立ポセイドン学園高等部 初回以外カラー無し 18話打ち切り
Private Poseidon Highschool Besides its opening, no colors Canceled at ch. 18
ぬらりひょんの孫 8話目で二度目のセンターカラー 連載中
Nurarihyon no Mago At 8th chapter, had second center color Currently Serialized
バリハケン 8話目で二度目のセンターカラー 34話打ち切り
Barihaken At 8th chapter, had second center color Canceled at ch. 34
ダブルアーツ 7話目で二度目のセンターカラー 23話打ち切り
Double Arts At 7th chapter, had second center color Canceled at ch. 23
トリコ 6話目で3回目の巻頭カラー 連載中
Toriko At the 6th chapter, had third opening color Currently Serialized
どがしかでん 2話目以降カラー無し 13話で打ち切り
Dougashikaden Past 2nd chapter, no colors Canceled at ch. 13
バクマン 11話目でセンターカラー 連載中
Bakuman At 11th chapter, had center color Currently Serialized
いぬまる 25話目でセンターカラー 連載中
Inumaru At 25th chapter, had center color Currently Serialized
チャゲチャ 2話目以降カラー無し 8話で打ち切り
Chagecha Past 2nd chapter, no colors Canceled at ch. 8
アスクレピオス 2話目以降カラー無し 19話で打ち切り
Askelpios Past 2nd chapter, no colors Canceled at ch. 19
マイスター 2話目以降カラー無し 10話打ち切り
Meister Past 2nd chapter, no colors Canceled at ch. 10
黒子のバスケ 9話目で二度目のセンターカラー 連載中
Kuroko No Basket Second center color in chapter 9 Currently Serialized
ぼっけさん 12話目で二度目のセンターカラー 18話で打ち切り
Bokke-san Second color in chapter 12 Canceled at ch. 18
べるぜバブ 8話目で二度目のセンターカラー 連載中
Belzebub Second center color in 8th chapter Currently Serialized
フープメン 2話目以降カラー無し 17話で打ち切り
Hoopmen Past 2nd chapter, no colors Canceled at ch. 17

Finestela
July 08, 2009, 01:10 AM
ToC by Himajin of 2ch

273 :五代目暇人 ◆2YGyF6T8YE :2009/07/08(水) 15:05:24 ID:mkMcfSxt0
33号

鍵人(表紙+巻頭)
ぬるぽ
べるぜ
姉時(センター)
金玉
りぼん
犬丸
ぶり
サイレン(センター)
こち亀
スケット
トリコ
ぬるり
とらぶる
めだか
バクマン
赤星
黒子
ジャガー

2009-33
Kagijin (Cover + Lead CP)
Naruto
Beelz
Ane-doki (CP)
Gintama
Reborn
Inumaru
Bleach
Psyren (CP)
KochiKame
Sket Dance
Toriko
Mago
ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko
Jaguar

Drmke
July 08, 2009, 01:17 AM
Well I guess this puts to rest my crazy hope that maybe Akaboshi and Bakuman would be higher this week. :darn

But damn, Beelze that high?! Talk about definite superhit now.
And Bleach is outta the top 5....ouch. lol

Toriko and Mago are little too low for me but maybe they will go back up soon.

Finestela
July 08, 2009, 01:21 AM
Well I guess this puts to rest my crazy hope that maybe Akaboshi and Bakuman would be higher this week. :darn

But damn, Beelze that high?! Talk about definite superhit now.
And Bleach is outta the top 5....ouch. lol

Toriko and Mago are little too low for me but maybe they will go back up soon.

The bottom 5 posted on Sunday/Monday had already given us the placement for Akaboshi and Bakuman ;)

Rejuvenation
July 08, 2009, 01:25 AM
2009-33
Kagijin (Cover + Lead CP)
Naruto
Beelz
Ane-doki (CP)
Gintama
Reborn
Inumaru
Bleach
Psyren (CP)
KochiKame
Sket Dance
Toriko
Mago
ToLoveRu
Medaka
Bakuman
Akaboshi
Kuroko
Jaguar

Beelzebub is at number 2 eh? Gintama shoots back into the top 5 after being in the bottom 5 last week. Reborn manages to re-enter the top 5 as well.

Bleach knocked back to #6 for the 2nd straight time that it has been ranked. Makes me wonder if this would have been 4 straight weeks if it didn't have color pages for the past 2. >.>

It would be nice to see Toriko a bit higher. Sket and Mago are in the middle-back of the mag again. I'm curious if they will stick there or resume frequenting the basement again.

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 02:06 AM
Toriko and Mago are so low. Sad days. At least Beelze is high. Glad to see Kuroko at the bottom. Hopefully it won't bother the other series anymore.

Koshi_Inaba
July 08, 2009, 03:22 AM
Akaboshi's doomed. Mago is in a transitional chapter before the flashback, so there's still hope.

Maxy Barnard
July 08, 2009, 04:21 AM
1 Naruto
2 Beelzebub
3 Gintama
4 Reborn
5 Inumaru
6 Bleach
7 Sket Dance
8 Toriko
9 Mago
10 ToLoveRu
11 Medaka
12 Bakuman
13 Akaboshi
14 Kuroko

I don't count Toriko or anything above it as low and anyone who does is far too panicky about the number 8.

next cuts are kuroko and akaboshi, i'd put money on it

Rejuvenation
July 08, 2009, 04:35 AM
next cuts are kuroko and akaboshi, i'd put money on it

This has been my bet for weeks now. I'm just more curious about when the next cuts will roll around.

If the new batch manages to tank harder than Kuroko or Akaboshi that may save them for a while longer.

Lingwe
July 08, 2009, 05:49 AM
So Beelzebub shoots to the top and Psyren gets a colour page. The authors of those series must be starting to feel pretty relieved considering how Psyren was pretty much on a knife edge a number of months ago.

I wonder if Bleach's falling TOC will eventually convince Kubo's editor to tell him to start hurrying up this battle royale arc so that he can move onto a new arc that brings the promise of a storyline with it.

Finestela
July 08, 2009, 06:20 AM
From D.Gray's spoiler poster at 2ch:

958 :産業 ◆yQongahxCI :2009/07/08(水) 18:24:15 ID:Fgu9C/fcO
やっと復活だな
でも今後どこで連載していくんだろうな

960 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2009/07/08(水) 18:30:13 ID:Fgu9C/fcO
こねたさん何も言ってなかった?8月の赤マルで復活!ってでっかく書いてある
表紙と巻頭50ページ
なんで赤マルなんだろう

962 :名無しさんの次レスにご期待下さい:2009/07/08(水) 18:36:25 ID:Fgu9C/fcO
一応予告

伯爵率いるノア…集う!第三エクソシストの能力とは!?
そして、神田出生の核心へ迫る!!

D.Gray-man will be back in Akamaru Jump that's due to be out during Bon Festival (August). Cover + Lead CP + 50 Pages.
[hr]
*Cough* Bastard Mode *Cough*

StrangerAtaru
July 08, 2009, 06:21 AM

D.Gray-man will be back in Akamaru Jump that's due to be out during Bon Festival (August). Cover + Lead CP + 50 Pages.

That sounds strange...side story? Movement of where it's going to be? Or just Hoshino easing back into things?

As for the TOC...I think we can all say Beezle is a hit now for the moment. (or just getting a ton of good luck like Toriko did this time last year) Sort of happy Gintama rebounded...as for Bleach, this always seems to happen whenever a fanservice character doesn't get a chapter as of late.

Finestela
July 08, 2009, 06:35 AM
That sounds strange...side story? Movement of where it's going to be? Or just Hoshino easing back into things?

Nope, not side story...
The description provided includes:

Gathering of Noah's by the Earl, the ability of the "third Exorcist", and the secret of Kanda's birth.

Like I said, Bastard mode, which makes perfect sense ;)

Negative Syndicate
July 08, 2009, 07:33 AM
Looks like Sket's 2 weeks top 5 are over now. I hate to say it, but Sket might even going to drop to bottom 5. Furthermore, Mago also went down to just above bottom 5, I hope it to move up little bit more. Also, Toriko is not doing good at lightly, is people don't like Regal Mammoth arc? I don't worry about Kuroko, yet, because series like Psyren and Sket Dance actually hit the bottom before, but manage to to survive for almost 2 years. So, I'm going to make judgement about Kuroko until its next issue's ranking.

StrangerAtaru
July 08, 2009, 08:10 AM
Nope, not side story...

Gathering of Noah's by the Earl, the ability of the "third Exorcist", and the secret of Kanda's birth.

Never read D.Gray (so I don't quite know what some of this means) but somehow a "Bastard-style" release probably could end up working for the time being. Heck, I'm surprised Togashi didn't do this with HxH by now...

Elyon A. Luna
July 08, 2009, 09:02 AM
At least Mago is just outside the bottom 5, though it's not good to see Bakuman down there again.

¿Does anybody know what the average ranking for Death Note was?

Mr. Prince
July 08, 2009, 09:12 AM
L vs Light-Saga was performing good...hardly any 2-digit ranks, most of the time spots from 3rd to 8th.
After it's several weeks break it returned doing good in the beginning but started falling and hit 2-digits for most time (it had quite a number of bottom 5 positions; at 14th when there were 18 series and stuff like that) and in its final phase 2006 it did a bit of a yo-yo but settled down at 10th-12th. Last two chaps ranked 4th and 5th.

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 09:25 AM
Nope, not side story...

How odd. I hope it returns to the magazine proper in September. Could they just be waiting for spot to open up? Pardon the ignorance but what is Bastard mode? **knows it's a reference to the WSJ/Ultra Jump series, lost after that**

Siberia
July 08, 2009, 09:30 AM
OMG, I can see DGM's hiatus will be extended after Akamaru Jump.
btw, its still good to see something new ..........thanks for info

StrangerAtaru
July 08, 2009, 10:20 AM
How odd. I hope it returns to the magazine proper in September. Could they just be waiting for spot to open up? Pardon the ignorance but what is Bastard mode? **knows it's a reference to the WSJ/Ultra Jump series, lost after that**

I think what he means is that between it's Jump run and moving to Ultra Jump, Bastard was published infrequently in stuff like Akamaru. Not too sure myself but it's what I heard.

Well at least we're getting closer to the Bon period regardless so hearing rumors about the Summer Akamaru makes sense now.

Finestela
July 08, 2009, 10:39 AM

After the author hurts his back, Bastard was moved to Akamaru (or, rather, back when it was a quarterly magazine called "Zoukan Shounen Jump").

It was then moved back to WSJ, but as a once a month series.

Finally, it ended up in Ultra Jump ;)

Which is why I'm saying DGM is going into Bastard mode... :p They are walking a very similar path if you ask me.

Elyon A. Luna
July 08, 2009, 10:45 AM
¿Around which chapters did this hiatus took part in?

Also, a bit offtopic, but... is Finestela a he?.... That I had to clear up.

Checked. HAHAHAHAH.....

andrewsungchehau
July 08, 2009, 10:55 AM

<hr noshade size="1">

Thanks for the info. ^^ Let's hope and pray(at least me) that it's not in Bastard Mode even though I didn't read Bastard. Anyway, can't wait to read this new chapter, looks awesome.:D
Also hope it got more info about the resume in this new chapter.

Digital_Eon
July 08, 2009, 10:59 AM
Oh wow, I actually said back in 2007 that I worried DGM would take the Bastard route... granted, that was of going monthly, but, uh, wow. Glad to hear it's kind of returning, though! Maybe post-Akamaru is when we'll see a series cut (if Kuroko performs that badly)?

8 for Toriko is pretty low considering its previous rankings, though...

Onomatopoeia
July 08, 2009, 11:17 AM
Akaboshi is pretty much dead and Kuroko might go with it though I doubt it. Oh and Sket is in the middle along with Toriko and Mago which is a pretty good middle.

Bleach is out of the top 5 again but it's not like it's in a bad area or that we should even be worried. People are to eager for Bleach's demise and await even the slightest sign that the series could fall.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 08, 2009, 11:35 AM
Bleach is gonna rise up as soon as the latest chaps are rated.

Drmke
July 08, 2009, 01:53 PM

<hr noshade size="1">

O happy days. Hopefully soon after this super chapter we get a regular serialization.

Rejuvenation
July 08, 2009, 01:58 PM
Although it makes you wonder why not just go forth with a regular serialization around that time rather than disrupting the flow with this super chapter. One that apparently is plot intensive at that.

Drmke
July 08, 2009, 02:00 PM
Although it makes you wonder why not just go forth with a regular serialization around that time rather than disrupting the flow with this super chapter. One that apparently is plot intensive at that.

She is probably still recovering from whatever it is that took her down this time, but she doesn't want to just leave her fans with nothing for so long so she worked up this super chapter. That's what I think anyway.

Maxy Barnard
July 08, 2009, 05:09 PM
see as someone who has never liked bastard i've been likening the return of d gray to how Kurohime first started out (in some sorta once in a while side anthology before going to MSJ)

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 07:32 PM
After the author hurts his back, Bastard was moved to Akamaru (or, rather, back when it was a quarterly magazine called "Zoukan Shounen Jump").

It was then moved back to WSJ, but as a once a month series.

Finally, it ended up in Ultra Jump ;)

Which is why I'm saying DGM is going into Bastard mode... :p They are walking a very similar path if you ask me.

I see what your saying, thanks!

If D. Gray Man, and I'm only speculating, moved to SQ, it would be a phenomenal move. Monthly chapters would be easier on her and she could focus on the more plot oriented arcs shes better at.

Oricon charts are out. Beelzebub debuted at 17, but in a very strong week. It sold 51, 163 copies, a remarkable number for the first volume by a new artist. I'll post the full top 30 later tonight.

Drmke
July 08, 2009, 07:46 PM
Oricon charts are out. Beelzebub debuted at 17, but in a very strong week. It sold 51, 163 copies, a remarkable number for the first volume by a new artist. I'll post the full top 30 later tonight.

Damn, that's pretty good. Anybody know how that compares to Toriko's first volume sells?

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 08:06 PM
Damn, that's pretty good. Anybody know how that compares to Toriko's first volume sells?

Toriko's first two volumes were released on the same day:

volume 1 (first week): 69,177 copies
volume 2: 66,847

I'd say it compares favorably. Toriko sold a little more, but had more hype and a more notorious mangaka. Remember, Shimabukuro's previous series, Seikimatsu Leader Den Takeshi was a big hit when he was arrested. Toriko is his big comeback.

Beelzebub will clearly be a hit. How big is hard to say, but there is no doubt that it's a very popular series.

Negative Syndicate
July 08, 2009, 08:55 PM
So, Beelzebub sold about 51,163 copies, it's not bad but I expected as same as Toriko's first volume, it is even lower than Mago, too, I am little bit disappointed.

Also, Kuroko sold 38,053 copies. The sales got better than 1st volume. Then, is that means Kuroko is still little bit safe? I want to know opinion from others.

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 09:19 PM
Volume 1 of Mago did not outsell Beelzebub 1. Actually, Beelzebub more then doubled Mago 1's first week sales >.< Sales not only did not disappoint, they were exactly what I was looking for. Beelzebub will be a hit.

Jump Comic/Jump Comic SQ/Jump Comic Deluxe sales 6/29 - 7/25:

2. Katekyo Hitman Reborn! volume 25 (260,432)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
4. Gintama volume 29 (204,432)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
6. Steel Ball Run volume 18 (99,842)(Ultra Jump)(seinen)
13. Gag Manga Biyori volume 10 (62,861)(Jump SQ)(shonen)
14. Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar volume 17 (57,169)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
17. Beelzebub volume 1 (51,163)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
19. Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro volume 22 (48,772)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
21. Shiki volume 5 (45,653)(Jump SQ)(shonen)
22. One Piece volume 54 (41,290)(1,650,415)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
24. Embalming volume 2 (39,107)(Jump SQ)(shonen)
26. Kuroko no Basket volume 2 (38,053)(Weekly Shonen Jump)
30. Bartender volume 14 (35,920)(Super Jump)(seinen)

Kuroko did improve, making it's first top 30. If it continues to place in the bottom 5 volume two's sales are only enough to save it if a new series does worse. Then Kuroko will get the benefit of the doubt. It's in the same position Psyren and Sket Dance were in as their first volumes were coming out.

the full top 30 is here. (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50703)

Koshi_Inaba
July 08, 2009, 10:43 PM
How much did mago vol. 1 sold in it's first week?

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 11:01 PM
How much did mago vol. 1 sold in it's first week?

I overestimated the difference in sales between Beelzebub and Mago. Both were about equal.

Mago volume 1 (week 1): 48,495 copies

Also a strong debut, a 3000 copy difference is basically meaningless. Thus it is proven. Here's the bad news for Kuroko fans:

Double Arts volume 1 (week 1): 40,644 copies

Meaning Double Arts 1 sold about the same as Kuroko 2 and was still canceled after 23 chapters. Both had strong early polls, DA was a regular in the top 5. Both collapsed, Kuroko could recover. If it continues polling under Medaka and Akaboshi I think it will be canceled and one of the two spared.

Koshi_Inaba
July 08, 2009, 11:20 PM
I overestimated the difference in sales between Beelzebub and Mago. Both were about equal.

Mago volume 1 (week 1): 48,495 copies

Also a strong debut, a 3000 copy difference is basically meaningless. Thus it is proven. Here's the bad news for Kuroko fans:

Double Arts volume 1 (week 1): 40,644 copies

Meaning Double Arts 1 sold about the same as Kuroko 2 and was still canceled after 23 chapters. Both had strong early polls, DA was a regular in the top 5. Both collapsed, Kuroko could recover. If it continues polling under Medaka and Akaboshi I think it will be canceled and one of the two spared.

Looks like we got another contender for a successful first series by an unknown author.

Man...., that does remind a lot about DA.
It was polling very good in it's early chapters, better than mago. In fact, i thought Mago would be the one to be cut. Then the unexpected happen, Mago stabilized while DA drop to hell.
Well, if Kuroko doesn't recover and Akaboshi and Medaka still got higher than Kuroko both in volume sales and TOC, it's doomed.

Kaiten
July 08, 2009, 11:32 PM
Looks like we got another contender for a successful first series by an unknown author.

Man...., that does remind a lot about DA.
It was polling very good in it's early chapters, better than mago. In fact, i thought Mago would be the one to be cut. Then the unexpected happen, Mago stabilized while DA drop to hell.
Well, if Kuroko doesn't recover and Akaboshi and Medaka still got higher than Kuroko both in volume sales and TOC, it's doomed.

One of the two, Akaboshi or Medaka, probably won't last long enough to be judged on sales.

I still can't believe Bari Haken outlasted DA. I'm still bitter :yelling

Koshi_Inaba
July 08, 2009, 11:40 PM
Yeah, me too. Bari sucks so hard, I can't believe it got serialized. Canceling DA and Mx0 are two of jump's stupidest decision in recent years.

Siberia
July 08, 2009, 11:46 PM
She is probably still recovering from whatever it is that took her down this time, but she doesn't want to just leave her fans with nothing for so long so she worked up this super chapter. That's what I think anyway.

You make my day! (though there has been a great deal of speculation about DGM )

Oh, Bleach is falling again...good luck=.=

Akaboshi, time to say goodbye

Tru_TO
July 09, 2009, 02:04 AM
how much did Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Hunter X Hunter sell in his first volume?

and_123
July 09, 2009, 02:04 AM
WSJ #33 cover:

http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0517_h.jpeg

Drmke
July 09, 2009, 02:11 AM
Very nice cover. Hope the actual series will be good enough to stay around awhile.

Jabberwocky
July 09, 2009, 02:50 AM
WSJ #33 cover:

That does not look half bad as in it's not as bad as one might have thought.

¬Bol
July 09, 2009, 05:15 AM
He reminds me Tetsuo, from Akira.

Rejuvenation
July 09, 2009, 05:36 AM
Eh, I'm not impressed with the cover. Let's see if the first chapter is worthwhile.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 09, 2009, 09:14 AM
Eh, I'm not impressed with the cover. Let's see if the first chapter is worthwhile.

It already looks superior to the one-shot, don't you agree?

Negative Syndicate
July 09, 2009, 09:29 AM
I am pretty satified with KUroko's 2nd volume sells. But, I'm beginning to worry that Kuroko might going to happen same way with Double Arts. So, does anyone knows that did Jump had a time that there are completely no sport series?

Aikyet
July 09, 2009, 11:04 AM
I read through the last few pages - and still got confused. Someones cares to explain? :)
There are going to be three newcomers in Jump - Ane-doki, Kagijin and W-something. They all are starting in consequent issues. With those new additions Jump will have 20 series going.
Am I getting this right?

how much did Naruto, One Piece, Bleach and Hunter X Hunter sell in his first volume?

That is a very good question indeed.

Siberia
July 09, 2009, 11:10 AM
I read through the last few pages - and still got confused. Someones cares to explain? :)
There are going to be three newcomers in Jump - Ane-doki, Kagijin and W-something. They all are starting in consequent issues. With those new additions Jump will have 20 series going.
Am I getting this right?

That is a very good question indeed.

Considering HxH n DGM are absent ATM, before the next cut of existing series n I think u are rite.
If WSJ intends to keep around 20 series, HxH might be back after WSJ's next cut n DGM might leave WSJ as well. (Im not a WSJ expert so don't trust me)

Koshi_Inaba
July 09, 2009, 11:52 AM
I don't get why people so freak out about bleach failing. Bleach sells more than 700k per volume. Even if it drop, it's not going to get canceled.
And about the next round of cut, has it been decided by jump or are they gonna have the serialization meeting again?

Onomatopoeia
July 09, 2009, 12:17 PM
WSJ #33 cover:

I like the cover a lot, hopefuly the content will be as good as the cover.

Maxy Barnard
July 09, 2009, 01:35 PM
A good cover for a series I care about. mainly to see if the author has learnt anything from his previous HUGE TURD (post chapter 1.... maybe 3 i mean)

Drmke
July 09, 2009, 02:24 PM
I don't get why people so freak out about bleach failing. Bleach sells more than 700k per volume. Even if it drop, it's not going to get canceled.
And about the next round of cut, has it been decided by jump or are they gonna have the serialization meeting again?

Yeah for real. It could pretty much fall to last place and as long as it keeps selling like it is, its not going anywhere.

Mr. Prince
July 09, 2009, 03:14 PM
Well, the cover looks pretty plain...that guy's face lacks some highlighting and shadows - it looks as flat as a pancake.

SSJWill4
July 09, 2009, 06:07 PM
I am pretty satified with KUroko's 2nd volume sells. But, I'm beginning to worry that Kuroko might going to happen same way with Double Arts. So, does anyone knows that did Jump had a time that there are completely no sport series?

Since Play Ball started with Issue 27 of 1973 (probably could go back earlier, but it was getting frustrating telling which series were sports and which weren't) the only point where there's no sports series in jump is from when Wrestling with Momoko ended in Issue 39 of 1997 to when Rookies began in Issue 10 of 1998.

StrangerAtaru
July 09, 2009, 06:39 PM
Since Play Ball started with Issue 27 of 1973 (probably could go back earlier, but it was getting frustrating telling which series were sports and which weren't) the only point where there's no sports series in jump is from when Wrestling with Momoko ended in Issue 39 of 1997 to when Rookies began in Issue 10 of 1998.

I'll try to help you out a bit by linking all the sports series that would prove there was at least one (mostly major but could try minor if needed) with overlap, it won't be every sports series ever, just enough to prove there always was one:

-Chichi no Tamashii (baseball): 1968 (issue 1 no less)-1971
-Samurai Giants (baseball): 1971-1974
-Play Ball (baseball): 1973-1978
-Ring ni Kakero (boxing): 1977-1981
-Captain Tsubasa (soccer): 1981-1988
-Kenritsu Umisora Kōkō Yakyū Buin Yamashita Tarō-kun (baseball): 1987-1990
-Ace! (baseball): 1990-1991
-Slam Dunk (basketball): 1990-1996
-Captain Tsubasa World Youth (soccer): 1994-1997 (Wrestling with Momoko ended a week later so it shouldn't really be part)
-Nothing: Issue 40, 1997-Issue 9, 1998
-Rookies (baseball): 1998-2003
-Eyeshield 21 (American football): 2002-2009
-Kuroko no Basket (basketball): 2009

Yeah...just that one short period in '97-'98 is the only time without one sports manga in Jump.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 09, 2009, 06:40 PM
I was looking at a few chapters of Double Arts and on chapter 13 it had a page color that said "Thanks for the popularity" yet it was cancelled 10 chapters later. I heard it polled well and sold well so why did it end? It seems like an uphill battle for any new mangaka in Jump to become successful. I mean, what more can you expect from a series that polls well and sells well? I never read the series but it makes me not want to get my hopes up about any new manga in Jump...

Koshi_Inaba
July 09, 2009, 07:35 PM
As Kaiten and I have said, DA polled well early then drop to the bottom for quite a while. Any series that drop and sold below the hundred mark is an easy candidate for cancellation.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 09, 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh I did not know that it dropped. But in chapter 13 it said "highly popular." How could a series drop that much in less than 10 chapters? And how much below the hundred mark did it sell?

Koshi_Inaba
July 09, 2009, 08:54 PM
It's third volume sold 38,106 copies and then drop out of the top 30. I don't remember the exact ranking, but it was around the bottom. Those "highly popular" mark are hardly any indicative for popularity, Akaboshi has such written on the 7th chapter and now it's on the bottom.

Kaiten
July 09, 2009, 09:13 PM
It's third volume sold 38,106 copies and then drop out of the top 30. I don't remember the exact ranking, but it was around the bottom. Those "highly popular" mark are hardly any indicative for popularity, Akaboshi has such written on the 7th chapter and now it's on the bottom.

The third volume came out after cancellation, not much could be expected of it. DA polled either last or near for about two months.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 09, 2009, 09:22 PM
So then basically it deserved to die? Because I know it's cancellation was painful for a lot of people, but if it was not doing well, why were people so suprised and upset?

Koshi_Inaba
July 09, 2009, 09:40 PM
DA is one of those series that's very popular in the internet and scanlation circle but not that popular in Japan. I like it and think it should have been continued but that's just personal opinion.

Kaiten
July 09, 2009, 11:31 PM
I definitely like it. From what I heard it took a beating on 2CH >.< DA did get pretty aimless. Hopefully Komi returns by December.

Sexy Randal 105
July 09, 2009, 11:52 PM
I am surprised Komi didn't return yet. DA really should've caught on...

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 09, 2009, 11:52 PM
How long (on average) do mangaka take off between series? I know it varies but I was thinking maybe about 1-2 years.

GARusashi
July 09, 2009, 11:55 PM
Honestly, that one arc with Heinel was freaking terrible. Had they skipped that, and maybe made the Knights who were hyped throughout the manga into something other then fodder, maybe the manga would have made it.

But the idea was there, but Komi executed it poorly. Sucks because the main characters were all brilliant. I don't think I would ever get tired of Fallen and Sui.

Kaiten
July 10, 2009, 12:04 AM
How long (on average) do mangaka take off between series? I know it varies but I was thinking maybe about 1-2 years.

That's about right. It always seems a little closer to two years though.

Lingwe
July 10, 2009, 01:57 AM
I like the new design for the Kagijin character. That cloth head thing thathe had in the one shot didn't look too good and he was too scowly, this way he looks a bit better I think.

Aikyet
July 10, 2009, 07:14 AM
Have looked through Kagijin oneshot. Compared to the new cover it looks quite decent, yet in comparison with other mainsnstream battle genre - pretty bland.

Considering HxH n DGM are absent ATM, before the next cut of existing series n I think u are rite.
If WSJ intends to keep around 20 series, HxH might be back after WSJ's next cut n DGM might leave WSJ as well. (Im not a WSJ expert so don't trust me)

Thanks.
Yes, I haven't forgotten about those two. I was just wondering if I got the number of newcomers right :)

I definitely like it. From what I heard it took a beating on 2CH >.< DA did get pretty aimless. Hopefully Komi returns by December.

I am surprised Komi didn't return yet. DA really should've caught on...

Yeah, Komi Naoshi must have left a good impression, especially on the editorial department. Though, there weren't any oneshots from him lately.
Still, why can't we hope to see him appering soon enough? :amuse

But the idea was there, but Komi executed it poorly. Sucks because the main characters were all brilliant. I don't think I would ever get tired of Fallen and Sui.

If you are saying that story was executed poorly for a shounen, I could slightly agree. But saying it was poorly executed overall is a mistake. As an independent story Double Arts were quite fresh, consequent and well-developed story and character wise.

ZoddGuts
July 10, 2009, 10:45 AM
Have looked through Kagijin oneshot. Compared to the new cover it looks quite decent, yet in comparison with other mainsnstream battle genre - pretty bland.

Thanks.
Yes, I haven't forgotten about those two. I was just wondering if I got the number of newcomers right :)

Yeah, Komi Naoshi must have left a good impression, especially on the editorial department. Though, there weren't any oneshots from him lately.
Still, why can't we hope to see him appering soon enough? :amuse

If you are saying that story was executed poorly for a shounen, I could slightly agree. But saying it was poorly executed overall is a mistake. As an independent story Double Arts were quite fresh, consequent and well-developed story and character wise.

I dont see DA type of manga being popular on Shonen Jump these days. If the author plans on doing another series like DA it won't make last long. He'll need to do add more battles for Shonen Jump readers though that doesn't seem to be he's strong point. A series like DA could have been a better fit on Shonen Sunday, as the readers for that mag tend to prefer more for story oriented manga rather than battle type manga like in Jump.

Heiji-sama
July 10, 2009, 08:05 PM
http://thumbnails7.imagebam.com/4171/eba75a41706670.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/eba75a41706670/)

Akamaru Jump Summer 2009 (17/08) :
D.Gray-man (Couv, Page Couleur, 50p)
Hamada Kôsuke (Dogashi Kaden) / Sengoku Izumu - Nobunaga x Comte (49p, Page Couleur, One Shot)

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 10, 2009, 08:33 PM
So will one of these one-shots become serialized one day? I like the one in the upper-right. Looks kinda like Ichigo. The big one in the lower right looks okay too.

Negative Syndicate
July 10, 2009, 09:10 PM
Comment on this week's issue, the sereis in bottom 5 (except To Love-Ru) are GGGRRREEEAAATTT!!!!!!! Chapter 9 of Akaboshi is best chapter in my mind, introduced lots of cool character, which will soon become a member of TaitenGyodou. Also, Medaka is also great, I think this arc will increase Medaka's rank, if it continues. Kuroko is starting to get more interesting. Bakuman is great as usual. Actually, I think these series are actually more enjoyable than this week's top 5 (except Beelzebub). I really don't want Akaboshi, Medaka, and Kuroko get cancel.

2nd chapter of Ane-Doki is pretty boring compared to chapter. Also, Sket Dance is getting bit boring, after Bossun's past arc.

Koshi_Inaba
July 10, 2009, 09:40 PM
Most of the chapter this week is amazing. Danzo's sharingan, The Vizard's appearance, The Keikain family members revealed and a glimpse of Rikuo's father, Saiko 's impending hiatus and his surgery.
Boy! Jump is really giving a treat for readers.can't wait for next week

This is not a chapter discussion thread. If you absolutely most discuss plot, wrap them in spoiler tags. Please respect those who haven't read the new chapters.

Heiji-sama
July 10, 2009, 10:35 PM
http://thumbnails4.imagebam.com/4174/8a138941736656.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/8a138941736656/)
[hr]
#33 :
Cover :
http://thumbnails6.imagebam.com/4174/5e4d6641736863.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/5e4d6641736863/)

Contents :
http://thumbnails.imagebam.com/4174/b4d2bc41736919.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/b4d2bc41736919/)

Preview :
http://thumbnails11.imagebam.com/4174/7da13b41736934.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/7da13b41736934/)

Kaiten
July 10, 2009, 11:28 PM
So excited for DGM's return! Can't help being a little bit of a fanboy, sorries ;)

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 10, 2009, 11:47 PM
Will one of those one-shots in Akamaru be serialized some day?

Kaiten
July 10, 2009, 11:55 PM
Will one of those one-shots in Akamaru be serialized some day?

Impossible to say. To much goes into deciding what gets serialized and what doesn't. Tanaka did a one shot called Jamie Vu for Akamaru in 2008 and that was never serialized. Far superior to Kagijin IMO.

Negative Syndicate
July 11, 2009, 12:51 AM
Raw for Kagijin Chapter 1 is out. Personally, I enjoyed this series more than Ane-Doki, so I hope this series to survive long. But, I don't think almost every room in Jump is filled in, and all of the series are my favorites, so there is not enough space for Kagijin.

Also, I think art of Kagijin is different from Hitmoi no Catoblepas. I think this is first time I ever see that the author changed his art style from previous work.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 11, 2009, 03:01 AM
I don't deny that Kagijin has potential, but the first chapter felt lacking to me. I hope it gets better though.

Galactic Tomahawk
July 11, 2009, 03:22 AM
I was disappointed that he doesn't use the awesome bird thing anymore.

But otherwise I liked it.

Koen
July 11, 2009, 05:53 AM
What did you think about the new serie, any comments? It can all be done in the Kagijin (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51022) Thread ;)

Mr. Prince
July 11, 2009, 11:06 AM
http://thumbnails7.imagebam.com/4171/eba75a41706670.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/eba75a41706670/)
I thought that maybe some users might be interested in the one shots, so I skipped over the thing and made a quick trans...I hope you enjoy them! : )

It's a new breeze!!
New works - 11 great one shots!!

1st row
アイNOムチ - Ai no muchi
by Haneda Toyotaka
"Muchi" who's completely devoted to horses is becoming an unbeatable jockey and...!?

宇宙人ミラ - Uchuujin Mira [Space alien Mira]
by Katou Masahiro
BAM and CRASH! Defensive power of the earth vs. heinous space aliens!

怪盗 x ROYAL - Kaitou x Royal [Mysterious thief x Royal]
by Miura Masataka
The secret of the castle mysterious thief Hauze has decided to raid is...!?

ARMORED
by Shibata Yuusaku
It's the time of Sengoku [TN: period of Warring States in Japan]...It's a tale about the young girl Rin and her powerful armor

なまくらShra Pnel 記憶めぐり - Namakura Shra Pnel Kioku Meguri [The journey of memories of dull Shra Pnel]
by Miura Satoru
What appears in front of a young girl who's losing her memories of yesterday is...!?

タカマガハラ - Takamagahara [TN: It's from Japanese mythology...something like the Japanese Olympus]
by Kawai Juusou
A group of people who hold special powers in them gather at a campus/an academy in order to battle...!!

2nd row
ジェロとスナコ姫 - Jero to Sunako-hime [Jero and Princess Sunako]
by Yahagi Hayato
The secret of the princess of the small country of "Zandoll Kingdom" is...!?

にこいち - Nikoichi
by Yagi Shinya
Gomame of the reading faction and Daruma of the Work out group create a Tag!!

Gut
by Muko Kouichi
2 persons who're like cats and dogs are to create the strongest badminton team!?

代打中島 - Daida Nakajima [Nakajima the pinch hitter]
by Nakamura Atsuji
A good-for-nothing pinch hitter. What's it he's asking a young girl for!?

皿洗いの女王 - Sara Arai no Oujo [The Queen of Dish washing]
by Sasebo Tarou
The world of dish washing is in chaos!! What's the enchanting demon art of the Queen of Sadism!?

It's the new work of "Dogashi Kaden!"'s Hamada Kousuke-sensei!!
戦国主義 信長xコント -- Sengoku Izumu - Nobunaga x Comte [Sengoku Principle - Nobunaga x Comte]
What's the thing flying towards gutless middle school student Comte from a myterious pot!?
It may be sloppy and maybe I'm a little off at some points but like I said, it's just done in a couple of minutes...

GARusashi
July 11, 2009, 11:17 AM
Oh man, Royal looks pretty cool, the art style looks right up my alley. And is the biggest one on the right from Dogashi's mangaka? Looks like they want that guy to succeed?

And aside from Kagijin's art, the need to have the main character use a katana put me off. The one shot at least made it seem like Blue Dragon with keys. But I like the old school feel the art has.

Kaiten
July 11, 2009, 12:04 PM
Gut
by Muko Kouichi
2 persons who're like cats and dogs are to create the strongest badminton team!?

Did I read this right; Like, Dog, Cat, and strongest badminton team all in one sentence? Why is it I have no desire to read this?
[hr]

And aside from Kagijin's art, the need to have the main character use a katana put me off. The one shot at least made it seem like Blue Dragon with keys. But I like the old school feel the art has.

Please, further discussion of Kagijin can be done in it's new thread. (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51022)

Maxy Barnard
July 11, 2009, 12:14 PM
Impossible to say. To much goes into deciding what gets serialized and what doesn't. Tanaka did a one shot called Jamie Vu for Akamaru in 2008 and that was never serialized. Far superior to Kagijin IMO.

Jamais Vu went down a storm here, so i'm inclined to agree with you

Kaiten
July 11, 2009, 12:22 PM
Jamais Vu went down a storm here, so i'm inclined to agree with you

More original IMO and more potential for a long series. Manga about duplicate evil earths at least have a chance of being solid reads. Anyway, shame they went with the newer one, I will admit it has potential. Really want to see that Crimson King one shot get serialized. Looked very cool.

Akainu
July 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
did crimson king get a scan somewhere? couldn't find any and only judging by pictures is kinda bad <.<

Kaiten
July 11, 2009, 12:44 PM
It was never translated.

DeidaraGrimmjow
July 11, 2009, 01:20 PM
I hope that Takamagahara gets serialized some day...oh man...

Drmke
July 11, 2009, 05:16 PM
I thought the Crimson King oneshot (the cover at least) looked pretty cool.

I think the cover said it was about the Devil or hell or something like that.

Onomatopoeia
July 11, 2009, 06:47 PM
宇宙人ミラ - Uchuujin Mira [Space alien Mira]
by Katou Masahiro
BAM and CRASH! Defensive power of the earth vs. heinous space aliens!
If this was a Seinen and had a different art style I'd be excited for this.

怪盗 x ROYAL - Kaitou x Royal [Mysterious thief x Royal]
by Miura Masataka
The secret of the castle mysterious thief Hauze has decided to raid is...!?
This could be interesting actually. Thief's are always cool.

Koshi_Inaba
July 12, 2009, 07:58 AM
Is it true that before Shaman King and Eyeshield 21 ended, it's rating and sales drop and contribute to it's rushed ending?

StrangerAtaru
July 12, 2009, 08:44 AM
Is it true that before Shaman King and Eyeshield 21 ended, it's rating and sales drop and contribute to it's rushed ending?

For the most part. ES21 never hit rock bottom but it really did plummet after the Teikoku game, either due to people turning on it for the World Cup concept or thinking that they didn't want a series without Deimon as the main focus. SK...well it collapsed too towards the end, but Takei held out long enough for the fanbase to demand and ultimately get his real ending.

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 08:55 AM
What happened to Shaman King pissed me off for years. It is highly annoying to have a series end abruptly like that when it was already close to the freaking end anyway. It is a miracle we even got an ending years later.

Then certain other series that also deal with spirits meander on pointlessly and waste panel space yet still manage to have the undying adoration of the masses. I wish I could find some of the sales figures for the original SK volumes and compare it to some of the more recent series.

Koshi_Inaba
July 12, 2009, 09:19 AM
Well, the aggregate sales of Shaman king is quite high, around 22 million copies, enough reason for Jump to release the Kanzenban edition. Bleach currently sold around 50 million. BTW, I can't wait for this weeks TOC. I hope Mago and Medaka doesn't go to the bottom.

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
For order to start next new series, the editors have to cancel or finish at least two series to start another new series. But, I think currently ongoing Jump series are all damn good, even two newest series had a pretty good start, and I don't know about last new series.

So, I want to know other people's opinion on which series should cancel for order to start new series. Personally, I hate to say it, but Kuroko, Medaka, Akaboshi are in major danger for cancelation because of recent low rankings.

Also, how many people think that Jump should extend the time for releasing new series, and give little more time for current series?

Akainu
July 12, 2009, 10:08 AM
I don't think they would cancel Kuroko at this point. They have put too much into it and if they'd get rid of it there'd not be a sports series left. (that is if jump needs one <.<)

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
why people keep saying Medaka is gonna be next cut?

Akaboshi intends to be a long series but its story is pretty weak, probably editors might give it a second chance which can be the last straw lol.

Kuroko is in danger by all means.

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 10:22 AM
I just found the list for next bottom 6 from 2ch.

小ネタ
・34ドベ6 PSY、とら、めだか、黒子、スケ、赤星
・35巻頭ワンピ Cスケ、銀魂

Akaboshi
Sket Dance
Kuroko
Medaka
To Love-Ru
Psyren

Issue 36: One Piece (Cover & Page Colour), Color Page=Sket Dance, Gintama

It's good that Akaboshi escaped from bottom 5 and Kuroko escaped from last place. But, Medaka drops even more, this makes me sad. Also, I can't believe that Psyren lost to To Love-Ru. I think colour page for Sket is for their two years anniversary.

Mr. Prince
July 12, 2009, 10:31 AM
Fake.

The ID of the poster was ◆EizHbL83zE instead of ko-neta's ◆EizHb38XPU...

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 10:34 AM
Fake.

Thank you for the news. I thought something was weird.

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 10:35 AM
Fake.

This is a relief because seeing Psyren below even To Love Ru had me going nuts for a second. >.>

Koshi_Inaba
July 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
Won't be long before Finestela got the real one.

Finestela
July 12, 2009, 11:34 AM
lol... I guess I wasn't the only one that gets careless every now and then ;)

Ko-neta:

800 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/07/13(月) 01:31:05 ID:JD/aksUJ0
小ネタ
・34ドベ5 赤星、とら、黒子、リボ、銀
・35巻頭@ C亀、わじま、読切 芝田優作<金未来

2009-34 Bottom 5:
Gintama
Reborn
Kuroko
ToLoveRu
Akaboshi

2009-35:
Lead CP: Naruto
CP: KochiKame, Wajima, 1-shot by Shibata Yuusaku (Golden Future Entry)

Mr. Prince
July 12, 2009, 11:39 AM
Lol...kudos to one of the 2channers who claimed "800 will be the real deal". xD

So basically Akaboshi is dead meat, huh? Kuroko also doesn't seem to get a hang...maybe it's bye bye to team AkaKuro then. Would be okay with me.
Reborn! and Gintama really surprise me (well rather just Reborn! since Gintama and Bakuman are the current yo-yos)...

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 12, 2009, 11:40 AM
What does lead CP mean? Coloured pages or WSJ cover? or both?

Koshi_Inaba
July 12, 2009, 11:44 AM
Well, that's surprising. Gintama and Reborn dropping to the bottom 5 is sad to see. But again, with the super sales of those two there's nothing to worry about. Mago out of the bottom for four consecutive week is a delight and so is Psyren and Medaka getting out.
Looks like Akaboshi and Kuroko are really in danger.

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 11:44 AM
lol... I guess I wasn't the only one that gets careless every now and then ;)

Ko-neta:

2009-34 Bottom 5:
Gintama
Reborn
Kuroko
ToLoveRu
Akaboshi

2009-35:
Lead CP: Naruto
CP: KochiKame, Wajima, 1-shot by Shibata Yuusaku (Golden Future Entry)

Ok, so Gintama and Reborn are in the bottom 5 this week hm? Well their sales are so high rankings don't matter.

However, this pretty much is cementing the death of Akaboshi it looks like. Possibly Kuroko after it if the other new series keep ranking better.

I'm interested in seeing where Beelzebub, Psyren, and Medaka will rank this week. Not being in the bottom 5 at least the latter of living long enough to be around in case some of these new series tank too. Also to observe 1st volume sales.

Ah a Kochikame color. I'd have preferred if something else got it but oh well.

I'm curious about this one-shot too.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 11:52 AM
/me dances on Kuroko's grave.

As long as Medaka can stay above Kuroko all will be well come next cuts. Akaboshi I can live without, it's good, but does the world really need more Jump action right now? Medaka's a funny, well written series, glad it's got a chance to survive. If it were a little less ecchi it might poll higher, but oh well.

Forgot it's almost time for the Future Cup. Hopefully they'll be translated this year.

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
Damn, I was hoping that Akaboshi would survive, but i guess it wasn't meant to be. However, it is good to see that Kuroko increased, so Kuroko might still have little chance to survive. Not surprising Gintama falls to bottom 5, but Reborn, too. I thought Reborn's ranking is on beginning of Choice Battle, but looks like people don't like this arc.

The Adamant Dragon
July 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
What does lead CP mean? Coloured pages or WSJ cover? or both?

Lead CP reffers to WSJ's Front cover. And the lead CP often gets coloured pages within the chapter too. But getting the Lead CP doesn't necessarily mean that one gets to have color pages too, it all the depends on the author. :amuse

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
Not surprising Gintama falls to bottom 5, but Reborn, too. I thought Reborn's ranking is on beginning of Choice Battle, but looks like people don't like this arc.

To be fair, not much happened in that chapter outside of introductions and the build-up for choice. It is no surprise it didn't poll that well.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 12:04 PM
Wait. I thought Reborn had color in issue 34. What's it doing in the bottom 5?

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 12:10 PM

Maybe it got changed at the last minute? I recall such things like this being changed at the last minute in the past.

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 12:11 PM

You're right. Actually Reborn is getting color page on issue 34. Can someone explain this?

Koen
July 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
I hope shueisha/wsj will be a bit patient now. As many series jojo in and out - and let's stress even good series like reborn, bakuman and gintama - it's difficult to know who the weaker ones are. But kuroko, TLR and akaboshi seem to be the constant bottom runners for some issues. Akaboshi won't survive and will be the next cut I think

and I didn't see reborn on the preview page, so it might be true it isn't getting a CP

[hr]

This is a relief because seeing Psyren below even To Love Ru had me going nuts for a second. >.>

Yeah met too, I nearly had a heart attack until mr. Prince posted that the ToC was fake

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 12:26 PM
Maybe it got changed at the last minute? I recall such things like this being changed at the last minute in the past.

it did happen last year. There was a preview that DGM would get a color page but it turnt out to be a hiatus.:mad

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
I think Akatsuki sets good example to Itou Mikio, Uchimizu Tohru, Kaji Kimiya, and Amano Youichi. These authors have good sense of art, but they failed two series in a row, which means they are weak at building interesting plot. So, after failure of Cotracter M&Y, Akatsuki started to working along with Nisio Isin, who has a good sense plot line, doing much better than before. So, I think these authors should find a partner with good sense of plot.

Also, by looking fall of Akaboshi, I'm afraid that Kagijin might fall.

Finestela
July 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
Might have more to do with positioning as oppose to actual ranking (for Reborn)
There's going to be 4 CP series in 34, with Reborn as the fourth (I doubt they would put Kagijin's and Wajima's CP behind Reborn :p) So... it might just got crowded toward the bottom...

Lead CP means that it will 100% be the "first series" in the magazine, with a Color Page, and about 95% chance of getting the Cover as well. There are several instances where the Lead CP series didn't get the Cover.

◆ T.D.A ◆
July 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for clearing it up Finestela :love....and Adamant :notrust

Oh shame, Akaboshi is dying. I think the plot wasn't enticing enough,well to the Japanese audience at least, the characters weren't bad, not bad at all. Maybe Japanese don't like chinese stuff, I don't know. :darn

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 12:51 PM
Maybe Japanese don't like chinese stuff, I don't know. :darn
Thats not the main point. The storyline of Akaboshi is too boring to stay long in WSJ.

Drmke
July 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
O Akaboshi, I hardly knew ya. We shared some good times but soon we will probably say goodbye.

And Kuroko, I always thought you were alright but you will probably get to leave with Akaboshi.

Negative Syndicate
July 12, 2009, 01:21 PM
I think Kuroko still has chance to survive because remember that Psyren and Sket Dance hit to the last before, but they manage to pick them up. Also, I doubt that Jump editors will cancel only sport series, unless they start new sport series. Furthermore, it had gotten better lightly.

Drmke
July 12, 2009, 01:28 PM
I think Kuroko still has chance to survive because remember that Psyren and Sket Dance hit to the last before, but they manage to pick them up. Also, I doubt that Jump editors will cancel only sport series, unless they start new sport series. Furthermore, it had gotten better lightly.

I don't think it will pull up outta the bottom 5 though. It might and survive but the chances are low.

It has gotten better, but people are less likely to vote for a series near the bottom cause of the risk of it being canceled soon and they might not wanna waste their vote on something that won't be around long enough for that vote to matter.

And even though Jump probably wants a sports series running, if the readers don't, I think they would cancel it in a heartbeat.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 01:45 PM
Business is business, if the readers have rejected a new sports series it is out no matter what. It's not like volume 1 and 2 were big sellers. Kuroko is in a very bad position; even if Akaboshi and one of the new series do worse there is a very strong chance three series will need to go. With the upcoming chapter in Akamaru Jump, there's every chance D. Gray Man will relaunch in WSJ this fall requiring an extra cancellation. Also, it's been almost a year since the last run of Hunter x Hunter began, there is a good chance it returns this fall.

Psyren and Sket Dance's darkest days were under much different circumstances. There was always at least three series polling worse then them, no matter what. Kuroko, so far, only has one new series polling worse.

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 01:56 PM
With the upcoming chapter in Akamaru Jump, there's every chance D. Gray Man will relaunch in WSJ this fall requiring an extra cancellation.

I do agree. Only series making money can stay long regardless of its targeted readers

btw, what makes u think DGM would reserialize in WSJ lol. Akamaru Jump is probably a sign of moving from weekly to monthly magazine. If DGM intends to stay in WSJ, it would reserialize in WSJ n split 50 pages into 3 weeks.

Recently there are too many new series in WSJ n there is indeed no room for the series which are often on hiatus.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 02:07 PM
DGM is a massive series. One of the biggest in Japan. Sales regularly exceed 600,000 per volume. They could move it to SQ to help alleviate her work load, it wouldn't surprise me, I personally wouldn't want to move a corporate bestseller (DGM is fifth in per volume sales for all of Shueisha) to a much lower circulation magazine. SQ has a circulation a little of a little over 300,000 copies. WSJ moves 2.8 million.

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 02:23 PM
Business is business, if the readers have rejected a new sports series it is out no matter what. It's not like volume 1 and 2 were big sellers. Kuroko is in a very bad position; even if Akaboshi and one of the new series do worse there is a very strong chance three series will need to go. With the upcoming chapter in Akamaru Jump, there's every chance D. Gray Man will relaunch in WSJ this fall requiring an extra cancellation. Also, it's been almost a year since the last run of Hunter x Hunter began, there is a good chance it returns this fall.

Agreed on Kuroko. It looks screwed next time the cuts come around.

To be honest, I expect nothing from Hunter X Hunter at this point. Even if Togashi had a pattern going on for a little while before, it seems as if he has broken it now. (10 chapters in Spring and Fall or whatever it was) It wouldn't shock me if we don't see Hunter X Hunter until next year or later.

As for DGM, if it moves to Jump SQ or only publishes in WSJ once a month, that is fine with me. It looks like it would be easier on Hoshino anyway. The fact that it was in Akamaru Jump rather than being inserted in WSJ kind of gives me doubts about it really being a weekly series again.

Psyren and Sket Dance's darkest days were under much different circumstances. There was always at least three series polling worse then them, no matter what. Kuroko, so far, only has one new series polling worse.

I can agree with you here. Psyren and Sket Dance are the only series from their starting years still going on at this point I think. That is assuming they are both 2007. That more or less says something about the other series from that time period.

Although we can also blame WSJ for being trigger happy during that time as well. >.>

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
Technically Psyren is 2008 since it debuted in issue 1. Manga follows a December 1 - November 31 year for copyright purposes. That's why Death Note and Gintama (issue 1 and 2, 2004) are sometimes listed as 2003 series. Taking that into consideration, 2008 becomes the most successful year since 2004, with four series lasting over a year. There were five in 2004.

StrangerAtaru
July 12, 2009, 03:14 PM
Ah a Kochikame color. I'd have preferred if something else got it but oh well.

KochiKame getting a color is harmless, let the series have it.

The bigger surprise for the moment is Reborn's collapse: Gintama's problems have sort of become known for a while now, but Reborn's...well, we've just had that many successful series as of late so it's not like it can't be without consequence for the older series. Then again...with Akaboshi bombing (yeah, To-Love gets protection again, starting to make me joke that if a series goes below that, it's cook) and Medaka sinking as well, I doubt those two will last for much longer.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 03:17 PM
Medaka, at least, has Kuroko to protect it. That won't help much if either Hoshino or Togashi come back in September or October.

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 03:29 PM
btw, may I ask a question here?
Tennis no Ôjisama used to be in WSJ but did it end naturally or it was cut.

Finestela
July 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
btw, may I ask a question here?
Tennis no Ôjisama used to be in WSJ but did it end naturally or it was cut.

Well.. you could argue both ways I guess... With PoT's ranking being on the lower part of the magazine...

However, it ended with a CP, and it didn't end in the last place, so... I personally would like to think that the WSJ serialization is a natural ending.

StrangerAtaru
July 12, 2009, 03:56 PM
It was a bit of both. PoT was near the bottom and it seemed to some that it was going to end after the tournament so it probably was either meant to end there or just decided to do so because of this.

Koen
July 12, 2009, 03:57 PM
There's no such thing as a natural ending in wsj. Let's say PoT wasn't axed but it had - what felt like - an unnatural ending

Rejuvenation
July 12, 2009, 04:29 PM
PoT had a rushed ending. I recently read the series and the way things played out in that final match and chapter can't be seen as anything BUT that. The low rankings it had by that point at least explain it. It and Eyeshield have that much in common it seems.

Also this sequel in Jump SQ is lack luster.

Siberia
July 12, 2009, 04:34 PM
how about the sales of ToC's volume? I think it has more than 40 volumes n did they sell well?? (I wouldn't ask that if Im able to find the data , so I would appreciate if someone can tell me about that lol)

Mr. Prince
July 12, 2009, 05:11 PM
Latest number I found for Prince of Tennis #42 was a little over 310.000 copies...
The whole series has more than 42.000.000 copies on circulation.

Kaiten
July 12, 2009, 07:55 PM
Rumors about PoT ending started in September of '07. It was widely known that the end was coming after the tournament. It had to have been a natural, planned ending; it received a cover and two color over the course of it's final three chapters. I doubt they would have brought it back in SQ if it were canceled.

Moving series from Jump to other magazines isn't that unusual. Beshari Gurashi moved to Young Jump after 40 chapters, Steel Ball Run and Bastard to Ultra Jump, Captain Tsubasa was revived as a Young Jump series, a Nube spin off is in Super Jump.

kewl0210
July 12, 2009, 07:57 PM
If you've been paying attention, Gintama's ranking has gone like this:
(I'm just gonna do the whole thing, it's too much of a pain to see what's ranked and what isn't.)
Issue 27: 15th
Issue 28: 11th
Issue 29: 15th
Issue 30: 13th (color)
Issue 31: 2nd
Issue 32: 16th
Issue 33: 5th
Issue 34: 15th~ (Whatever 5th from the bottom is right now)
See the pattern? It's been going up and down forever...

But the weird thing is recently everything's flipfloped. Bleach is lower, Sket Dance and Mago are higher. But now Reborn is low, which opens up possibilities... Psyren, Nurarihyon, Sket all need to be high up with Toriko and Bleach this issue. Well Toriko has the cover, so not there, but up near Bleach's and Inumaru Dashi's area.

Also, it's worth noting that despite Inumaru Dashi being really high in TOC, it's volume sales are no better than Kuroko's. If not worse.

Digital_Eon
July 12, 2009, 08:16 PM
Could Inumaru be placed? With Gintama flip-flopping, Kochikame near the middle/end of the magazine, and Jaguar at the end, I could see why they'd place a gag series nearer to the front. Perhaps this new series will mess up that balance?

Also, is it possible that DGM's returning in Akamaru Jump is to promote the magazine itself? As Kaiten.Sama said, it's a big series - having the cover and a colour page, as well as such an anticipated... and long... chapter of return might be a good way to sell copies of Akamaru.

I've thought about a move for years now... it seems to have lots of readers outside the WSJ audience, but could it mean a drop in sales if DGM isn't weekly, or if it doesn't have the promotion it currently does in WSJ?

Besides, I think a more important question to ask is if a series has ever moved from Jump to another shounen magazine. Young and Ultra Jump are both seinen magazines, and (currently?), so is Super Jump. SQ may have a different audience than WSJ, but it's still a shounen magazine. So if a series COULD stay in Jump, physical ability to put a chapter out every week notwithstanding...

Crude
July 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
Akaboshi's pacing may be bad, but still, last place is a little harsh. Maybe I'm just upset that a series with such great art is so low. Well it's good to see Psyren, Mago and Sket doing well.

predsfan
July 12, 2009, 11:41 PM
Meh, I liked the fake ToC better (I don't think I read any of the ones in the bottom 5 of that one). Also, it came with a One Piece colors. The actual ToC's is far more disappointing. I actually read some of the series that are in the bottom five. Oh well, at least Mago's been doing better as of late.

kewl0210
July 13, 2009, 12:00 AM
Inumaru Dashi was lower like 12th the lowest in weeks before. All the sites that just list all the placements are all outdated and for whatever reason stopped updating all of a sudden... But yeah around issue 27 of this year it was like 12th. So doesn't seem like it's placed. Also that's kinda unfair for it to be placed if Jaguar isn't. I'm sure it's just getting popular off its references to jump stuff and whatnot. It has a lotta references. I'll get to those parts someday...

One Piece may be nearing a climax of some sort... I can't even tell, next issue will be the start of part-3, and most likely last (unless there's a reunion arc) of the "Luffy without crew" arc. But regardless, it would probably be saving the color for that. They do somewhat strategically place them.

Siberia
July 13, 2009, 04:09 AM
its fine to move the series from WSJ to other magazines if the sales of each volume is average but it might be risky to move a high selling series, of course u can argue DGM doesn't aim at WSJ readers.

Im kinda surprised when the Toc is becoming odd, especially its yo-yo poll.
With their ongoing anime n good sales of each volume, Gintama n hitman are definitely safe

user216
July 13, 2009, 04:48 AM
I don't wish to sound like a troll, but whats with naruto's consistent high rankings?
Admittedly its a good manga, but not enough to dominate the polls.

Koshi_Inaba
July 13, 2009, 05:01 AM
The popularity of naruto can be seen by it's sales per volume which amount to more than 1 million each. The only one that can beat it is One Piece which can reach 2 million. Both outsold every other manga in Jump. So, it's not hard to see why it dominated the TOC. It's just that popular.

pandaaqueen
July 13, 2009, 05:02 AM
I don't wish to sound like a troll, but whats with naruto's consistent high rankings?
Admittedly its a good manga, but not enough to dominate the polls.

Due to a reliable fanbase :-D