PDA

View Full Version : Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30

Drmke
September 10, 2009, 10:03 PM
I kinda like the cover for some reason...maybe its the dog :tem

Hope someone does get around to scanning it, looks like fun.

Bomber D Rufi
September 10, 2009, 10:25 PM
Like I said before about the One shot, It reminds me of an early Keroro Gunsou. Now if it becomes like a recent Keroro Gunsou, that could be a problem....but otherwise I wish it well.

StrangerAtaru
September 11, 2009, 06:22 AM
Like I said before about the One shot, It reminds me of an early Keroro Gunsou. Now if it becomes like a recent Keroro Gunsou, that could be a problem....but otherwise I wish it well.

Yeah, Keroro when it was good and not...let's just keep it going because of our massive franchise.

Kaiten
September 11, 2009, 11:28 PM
An expected change to next weeks issue, reported by Raw - Paradise:

Issue 43: Bakuman (cover), Lilienthal (cover, 29p.), Beelzebub, Nurarihyon no Mago (color).

Bakuman gets it's lost cover back, at Mago's expense. I love both series so I have mixed feelings but it's been so long since Mago was on the cover. With three color series it remains to be seen who gets front middle and back, I listed them here in the order Raw - Paradise did, when the TOC comes out we'll see what the actual order is.

Drmke
September 11, 2009, 11:58 PM
I think I would liked a Mago cover better , but o well, I'll accept Bakuman on it and hope its good.

hdiuy
September 12, 2009, 03:27 AM
Im curious is there some kind of popularity chart in WSJ; like how popular a chapter of a certain manga is everyweek etc?

ruggia
September 12, 2009, 03:35 AM
Im curious is there some kind of popularity chart in WSJ; like how popular a chapter of a certain manga is everyweek etc?

you should read the first post (well, technically the second post) of this thread: http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52223

DeidaraGrimmjow
September 12, 2009, 03:36 AM

Yes. It is called a TOC (Table of Contents). Readers vote for their three favorite series each week. The series are put in order from most popular to least popular with the most popular being at the top.

hdiuy
September 12, 2009, 04:48 AM
Yes. It is called a TOC (Table of Contents). Readers vote for their three favorite series each week. The series are put in order from most popular to least popular with the most popular being at the top.

you should read the first post (well, technically the second post) of this thread: http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52223

Thanks alot guys. I'll go find it.

Maxy Barnard
September 12, 2009, 06:14 AM
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2230/wjump0525h.jpg

Well that's awesome. Hopefully I'll actually read this series.

Kaiten
September 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
Would be nice to see it translated. Hokenhitsu still hasn't been translated, a little disappointing. That hasn't happened with a new Jump series, except gag, in a long time.

ruggia
September 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
Would be nice to see it translated. Hokenhitsu still hasn't been translated, a little disappointing. That hasn't happened with a new Jump series, except gag, in a long time.
maybe people were too disappointed by the oneshot.
after looking at the past two chapters, I say its pretty good. a whole lot better than the oneshot. its like the exact opposite of Medaka Box.

for MB, i loved the oneshot, but the series been disappointing, but for Hokenshitsu, the series is actually pretty good compared to the oneshot.

no sign of Lilienthal yet huh.... is it going to be scanned at all?

Kaiten
September 12, 2009, 12:47 PM
I see that raws haven't even been posted for Lilienthal yet. Hopefully they will be.

I know the one shot was mediocre but I'm so used to seeing every new Jump series translated that I'm a little shocked. Last time I remember this happening was Yusha Gaku being ignored after chapter 3 and Sket Dance getting off to a start so slow it has yet to recover.

blue123
September 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
Yes. It is called a TOC (Table of Contents). Readers vote for their three favorite series each week. The series are put in order from most popular to least popular with the most popular being at the top.There should be the caution that the "detailed ToC" isn't in order of popularity. Like, #3 might have done more poorly in the cards than #4, but it almost definitely did better than #18.

Galactic Tomahawk
September 12, 2009, 02:26 PM
The last series I remember not getting translated (besides gag stuff) was Samurai Usagi.

But that still came around eventually.

Kaiten
September 12, 2009, 11:10 PM
Last translation of Usagi was for chapter 10, last November. I don't know if that counts as "coming around". Yusha still isn't translated past chapter three.

Negative Syndicate
September 12, 2009, 11:23 PM
Is one shot from Jump SQ. can be serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump, or only can be serialized in Jump SQ.?

Kaiten
September 12, 2009, 11:50 PM
I would think there would be some turf war between the two magazines if WSJ tried to serialize an SQ one shots since they have seperate editorial departments. I wouldn't want to see it happen since SQ has different standards. Some of the Supreme one shots have had more mature themes. Hello Baby and Loop would have had to have been kidified if serialized in WSJ.

Galactic Tomahawk
September 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
Really liked Lilienthal's first chapter.

Hope at least one of these two goes somewhere.

Finestela
September 13, 2009, 12:21 PM
Ko-Neta!!!

872 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/09/14(月) 02:17:47 ID:ubzRDROOO
まだこっち?
小ネタ
・43ドベ5 鍵、赤星、黒子、スケ、PSY
・ぬらりノベライズ告知
・44巻頭鰤 C黒子、虜

2009-43 Bottom 5:
Psyren
Sket Dance
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin

News: Mago Novelization

2009-44
Lead CP: Bleach (lol, that took a while...)
CP: Kuroko and Toriko

jose
September 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
Mago Novelization = Cd Drama? or Anime? or none? haha

Rolf, medaka box out of b5.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 12:25 PM
Medaka and Ane Doki escape from bottom 5, and Akaboshi returned its place. I thought Akaboshi was safe, but it looks like in danger, again. But, I'm happy that Kagijin will be cushion for Akaboshi.

Also, it has been long time that Sket and Psyren are in bottom 5 together, again.

[Cross]
September 13, 2009, 12:25 PM
rofl, Medaka Box is out of the bottom five, meaning the Yuri kiss scene was their saving grace for this week, haha someone owes me five bucks XD

*achm*

Psyren and Sket in the bottom, a change as of late since they seem to be doing well the last couple of weeks. Everything else wasn't any different. Anything for Mago is good news. Kuroko is in the bottom and is getting a colour page, there's no justice.

Finestela
September 13, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mago Novelization = Cd Drama?

Rolf, medaka box out of b5.

No, Novelization just means... there's going to be a Light Novel out about its side story...

A lot of series had light novels, D.Gray-man had two... Bleach had two (the second one was just pure gold :p)... Even ToLoveRu had one (TLR's novel was REALLY fun to read as well)

[Cross]
September 13, 2009, 12:29 PM
Even ToLoveRu had one (TLR's novel was REALLY fun to read as well)

I can't even begin to imagine what a TLR or Bleach novel would consist of.

Rejuvenation
September 13, 2009, 12:30 PM
Ko-Neta!!!

2009-43 Bottom 5:
Psyren
Sket Dance
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin

News: Mago Novelization

2009-44
Lead CP: Bleach (lol, that took a while...)
CP: Kuroko and Toriko

Oh shit, did Medaka just pull an Akaboshi?! Or will it actually start fighting for dear life from now on? :blink

Oh my god. That is like my perfect bottom 3 atm. Wajimania could be put in right along with them to make it 4. I'd like to see Sket and Psyren higher but they are fine. They have more than enough protection with most of the stuff that debuted this year doing poorly.

WTF, why is Kuroko getting even more color? Do they seriously have to throw it a color page every time it looks to be returning to bottom 5 status? Ugh.

Bleach doesn't really need anymore color this year either.

Yay for Mago and Toriko.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 12:31 PM
In danger of cancellation:

Kagijin > Akaboshi = Medaka OR Kagijin > Akaboshi > Medaka

Rejuvenation
September 13, 2009, 12:33 PM
;1566781']rofl, Medaka Box is out of the bottom five, meaning the Yuri kiss scene was their saving grace for this week, haha someone owes me five bucks XD

I think Nishio Ishin knows what he needs to do from now on. ;)

*achm*

Psyren and Sket in the bottom, a change as of late since they seem to be doing well the last couple of weeks. Everything else wasn't any different. Anything for Mago is good news. Kuroko is in the bottom and is getting a colour page, there's no justice.

Completely agree with the bold. No other series gets this much special treatment. -_______-

Finestela
September 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
;1566791']I can't even begin to imagine what a TLR or Bleach novel would consist of.

The first Bleach novel was just the first few chapters turning into words on paper...

The second Bleach novel was... rofl... about Ichigo and Co's stay in SS, interactions with the depressed 13-Gotei members, etc.

TLR novel has three different side story chapters that, like the manga, are just pure silly fun!

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
Sket is getting light novels too, no?

Good to see Medaka and Ane Doki out of the bottom five. I suspect they could be back down next week, I never trust it when established series like Kuroko, Sket and Psyren are down. At least one will, or could, rise again next week tossing Ane or Medaka back into the bottom five. Maybe both.

Kuroko's sales keep improving. The upcoming color is acknowledging that the only sports series is finding an audience, at least in book stores. Not a hit yet, but it could well be on it's way. Take it like this: Kuroko volume 3 sold as well as Psyren volume 6. From a business perspective it needs to be promoted as the only representative of it's genre in the magazine.

[Cross]
September 13, 2009, 12:37 PM
I think Nishio Ishin knows what he needs to do from now on. ;)

I can imagine the series changing tone in lieu of this small success, however it's meaningless if it ranks just outside of the bottom five, so we'll need the full ranking just to be sure.

The second Bleach novel was... rofl... about Ichigo and Co's stay in SS, interactions with the depressed 13-Gotei members, etc.

I must read it...

Sket is getting light novels too, no?

I could've sworn that it was only getting a a Drama CD.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 12:46 PM
Looks like lots of people complaining about Kuroko is getting another colour. I also don't like Kuroko getting colour, but I also hate Beelzebub getting colour. Beelzebub has getting colour too much, there are total 8 colours out of 28 chapters, and 9th colour page will be coming this week, that goes same with Kuroko, too (9 colours out of 37 chapters, and 10th is coming).

I understand that they are popular, but they are getting too much, like they are getting colour about every 4 or 5 weeks. I think the editors should give colour to another series, Kuroko and Beelzebub already have enough push from the editors.

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 12:49 PM
I could've sworn that it was only getting a a Drama CD.

When the color pages for issue 42 were announced it said Sket Dance was getting a novelization announcement this week. Honestly, I have no idea if that is correct, having heard nothing else about it since.

Drmke
September 13, 2009, 12:51 PM
Well Akaboshi is back down and Kagijin is still at the bottom...no surprises there. Kuroko has returned though but gets a color...don't know how I feel about that seeing as how I don't know what has happened in the last 10 chapters.

And Medaka is out of the bottom 5 so thats good for it.

Rejuvenation
September 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
Good to see Medaka and Ane Doki out of the bottom five. I suspect they could be back down next week, I never trust it when established series like Kuroko, Sket and Psyren are down. At least one will, or could, rise again next week tossing Ane or Medaka back into the bottom five. Maybe both.

Agreed which is why I'm not believing either are absolutely safe just yet. Even if Psyren starts its bottom dwelling like earlier on in its life, that still leaves enough space for them to collapse back in.

Kuroko's sales keep improving. The upcoming color is acknowledging that the only sports series is finding an audience, at least in book stores. Not a hit yet, but it could well be on it's way. Take it like this: Kuroko volume 3 sold as well as Psyren volume 6. From a business perspective it needs to be promoted as the only representative of it's genre in the magazine.

I always feel like Kuroko being the only sports series is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only one that didn't absolutely tank like Meister and Hoop anyway.

If only Kuroko would go above abysmal quality so they don't need to keep resuscitating it. That or get someone who can write a better sports series serialized...

;1566813']I can imagine the series changing tone in lieu of this small success, however it's meaningless if it ranks just outside of the bottom five, so we'll need the full ranking just to be sure.

True enough. It would have to be at least middle of the mag for it to really mean something. Plus the recent chapters have gone in a different direction so we need to see how those rank too.

ruggia
September 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
oh, wow. Medaka moves out of bottom 5?
whats up with the MB and Akaboshi yo-yoing around right when we it seemed to have reached dead bottom?
Kagijin is in three consecutive weeks at the bottom..... no chance of this one surviving.

MB 8 weeks ago was the beginning of the swimming competition.. i guess it was received fairly well, though the conclusion might make the rank go back down again :D
Kuroko has no chance of getting axed at the moment, so i really don't care if its in the bottom 5.

[Cross]
September 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
MB 8 weeks ago was the beginning of the swimming competition.. i guess it was received fairly well, though the conclusion might make the rank go back down again :D
Kuroko has no chance of getting axed at the moment, so i really don't care if its in the bottom 5.

Actually, the chapter that was ranked this week was the conclusion. I might as well get back into kuroko, it seems like jump seems to think that there's some redeeming quality in there since they are giving it a colour page, so I want to be a bit mroe informed before complaining that it got a colour page even though it's in the bottom (though that alone should be enough).

ruggia
September 13, 2009, 12:59 PM
;1566861']Actually, the chapter that was ranked this week was the conclusion. .

right.... i miscounted.... hmm seems like lot of people like yuri?

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?

kuroko isn't that bad in my opinion.... although it is not that great either. this week's chapter was pretty funny because it was not about Basket ball :D

Drmke
September 13, 2009, 01:01 PM

by the way, will it be safe to conclude that Psyren won't be canceled thanks to Kagijin and Akaboshi doing worse?

Yeah Psyren will have to bottom out for awhile to be in danger of getting canceled at the moment.

SameOld
September 13, 2009, 01:02 PM

Don't count Akaboshi out yet; two weeks from now the battle chapters wil start ranking and I can see them bringing the series back to the middle like chapter 9 did. Kagijin's dead for sure and so is Waji Mania, so that leaves one space left; it may be one of the two newcomers, Medaka or even Akaboshi (in the nearly impossible event it doesn't go back up). I'd say Psyren's really low on the priority list regarding the next cuts.

Drmke
September 13, 2009, 01:07 PM
Don't count Akaboshi out yet; two weeks from now the battle chapters wil start ranking and I can see them bringing the series back to the middle like chapter 9 did. Kagijin's dead for sure and so is Waji Mania, so that leaves one space left; it may be one of the two newcomers, Medaka or even Akaboshi (in the nearly impossible event it doesn't go back up). I'd say Psyren's really low on the priority list regarding the next cuts.

I don't see why you think Wajima is dead for sure. I haven't read it and it doesn't look like something I would like anyway, but form what I have seen recently, its doing pretty well. I could see it sticking around for around a year maybe like a lot of gag manga. I just wouldn't count it for dead yet.

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 01:36 PM
I always feel like Kuroko being the only sports series is the only reason why it has lasted this long. The only one that didn't absolutely tank like Meister and Hoop anyway.

Kuroko is actually doing very well for a new series. It keeps improving in sales; volume 1 never made the top thirty, volume 2 debuted at 26, volume 3 at 11. There's still work to be done before it's a hit, Kuroko is headed in the right direction. Sales of sports series tend to be modest nowadays, REAL excepted, don't expect it to sell as much as fast as Toriko, Mago, and Bakuman. I personally believe by volume 10 it will be as popular as Eyeshield.

SameOld
September 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
I don't see why you think Wajima is dead for sure. I haven't read it and it doesn't look like something I would like anyway, but form what I have seen recently, its doing pretty well. I could see it sticking around for around a year maybe like a lot of gag manga. I just wouldn't count it for dead yet.

It's obviously going the Poseidon route, that's why. I don't think a gag series' ToC placements are worth anything when you know for sure the japanese readers hated it from the start. And from the comments I've seen in lots of places, it seems they did.

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 13, 2009, 02:46 PM
Bleach colours should be good, since it's always hard fanservice.

Akiyama
September 13, 2009, 04:00 PM
WOOO, Medaka is out of the bottom 5 :woo, just look at Akaboshi and Kagijin :lmao, I can't even remember when BLEACH had lead color pages, and Toriko color is great news too.

I'm trying to convince my scanlation group to pick up Lilienthal, but I make no promises of it actually getting scaned. ;)

Koshi_Inaba
September 13, 2009, 04:31 PM
in their entire current run, how many times did mago and toriko got color? About Kuroko, I don't think it will be as popular as Eyeshield. Eyeshield aggregate sales is 20 million and volume 17 sold 500k. I don' think Kuroko will be able to go that high

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 04:48 PM
Why not? Eyeshield had seven years to compile those numbers. Kuroko hasn't even had it's first anniversary. Time will tell, but the direction it's headed in, the gains it's making in it's over all sales suggest that Kuroko will be a hit.

KuwabaraTheMan
September 13, 2009, 04:57 PM

It should be safe until next year, at the very least. Kagijin, Akaboshi and Wajimania are all seemingly going to get cut before Psyren is in danger.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 05:09 PM
I'm starting to feel suspicious about Medaka's and Akaboshi's position on cancellation. They both have been low for long time, and it wasn't weird if either one of them cut on previous round of cancelation. But, only To Love-Ru was out and the editors put 2 new series (Hokenshitsu and Lilienthal) in, also it is most likely confirmed that there going to be 2 outs (Kagijin and Wajimania). Are Medaka and Akaboshi really in danger?

Drmke
September 13, 2009, 05:55 PM
It's obviously going the Poseidon route, that's why. I don't think a gag series' ToC placements are worth anything when you know for sure the japanese readers hated it from the start. And from the comments I've seen in lots of places, it seems they did.

Its not obvious its going ANY route at the moment. It just started. And just because the people that hate it are "louder" doesn't mean its completely despised. If it was as hated as everyone thinks it is, it doesn't make sense for Jump to keep it high. They would want to cut it fast.

I'm not saying its popular, but saying its 100% gonna go next cuts or is unpopular and Jump just wants it around for some strange reason even though they already have plenty of popular gag manga seems a little foolish to me.

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 06:11 PM
How exactly is it obvious? I remember everyone said it was obvious that Inumaru was being pimped. That already has been out a year. Everyone just assumes Waji, because it is gag, will be unpopular with Japanese readers. I agree with Drmke, there really isn't enough information to make an informed decision. To often we all decide something else will be canceled when the new series we like is preforming poorly.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
How exactly is it obvious? I remember everyone said it was obvious that Inumaru was being pimped. That already has been out a year. Everyone just assumes Waji, because it is gag, will be unpopular with Japanese readers. I agree with Drmke, there really isn't enough information to make an informed decision. To often we all decide something else will be canceled when the new series we like is preforming poorly.

Yeah, might be you're right, too. We never know Wajimania going to be like Poseidon, maybe we are judging it too early. But I can tell one thing, either Inumaru or Wajimania has to go, we don't need two short page gag series.

SameOld
September 13, 2009, 06:39 PM
(...)and Jump just wants it around for some strange reason even though they already have plenty of popular gag manga seems a little foolish to me.

How is not having enough pages for a single compiled volume a strange reason?

Anyway, you'll see when the next round of cuts is due. For now, just look at accessup.org. I don't know if that site is a good way to measure a series' popularity or not, but there's a HUGE amount of negative reviews for Waji there.

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, might be you're right, too. We never know Wajimania going to be like Poseidon, maybe we are judging it too early. But I can tell one thing, either Inumaru or Wajimania has to go, we don't need two short page gag series.

Three short series actually, Jaguar is easy to forget ;)

The popularity of new short gag series are hard to judge. I expect they get less votes by grace of what they are; something short and fun meant to get a quick laugh without competing with the 20p series. I can't imagine even Jaguar competing with Naruto, Bleach, or even Mago and Toriko for votes. That's not what it is. Comedy series, even longer ones like Yusha Gaku, as well as slice of life like Sket, have always been slammed in this thread. Until they've established themselves. In reality we will have to wait and see if Waji is the next Inumaru or the next Poseidon. I can't fully agree with Jump not being able to sustain Waji and Inumaru. Some magazines can handle multiple gag/yonkoma series. It is possible Jump can too. But, from what I've seen over the last couple of years Jump isn't one of them. While I am open to the possibility of both surviving the next cuts, your opinion that one of the two will go seems more plausible.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
I think the important point about next round of cancelation is not about Wajimania, it is whether Medaka and Akaboshi will live or not. I think next round of cancelation begin around issue 50 because the cancelation usually begin before or same time of new series start, and two new series line-up begin rather quickly than I thought, both started about 7 weeks after previous new series line-up. This means that Medaka and Akaboshi have about 10 more weeks to live.

Do Medaka and Akaboshi have a potential to live another 10 more weeks?

[Cross]
September 13, 2009, 07:37 PM
Both seem to have their share of positive and negative points, and it has shown in the rankings. So it will all lie in the tanko sales.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 07:49 PM
1クール突き抜け(15週以下) 73作品 突き抜け率 31.1%(73/235) 例:マイスター チャゲチャ どがし
2クール目死亡(16~27週) 66作品 2クール目の死亡率 40.7%(66/162) 例:フープ ぼっけ アスクレ
1年以下で死亡(28~48週) 20作品 3クール~1周年の間の死亡率 21.1%(20/96) 例:ハケン 初恋 ラルグラド
1~2年で死亡(49~96週) 24作品 1~2年の死亡率 31.6%(24/76) 例:勇者学 うさぎ P2
2~3年で死亡(97~144週) 14作品 2~3年の死亡率 26.9%(14/52) 例:エムゼロ デスノ ライパク(2部)
3~4年で死亡(145~192週) 15作品 3~4年の死亡率 39.5%(15/38) 例:とらぶる Dグレ ムヒョ
4~5年で死亡(193~240週) 7作品 4~5年の死亡率 30.4%(7/23) 例:ネウロ ミスフル ホイッスル
連載5年以上(241週以上) 16作品 新連載が5年以上の長期連載になる確率 6.8%(16/235)  例:アイシル テニス ボーボボ

<今後の打ち切りスケジュール>
次期編成会議(リリエン3話目のアンケ結果が出る)→10/2頃?(44号頃)
作者への打ち切り宣告→10/5頃?(45号頃)
保健室シャッフル対象入り(6話目)→10/12(46号)
リリエンシャッフル対象入り(6話目)→10/19(47号)
打ち切り宣告後に描いた作品が掲載される(展開に影響?)→10/26頃(48号頃)
保健室完全補正切れ(9話目)→11/2(49号)
リリエン完全補正切れ(9話目)→11/9(50号)
次期新連載投入および打ち切り執行開始(保健室9~12話目頃)→11/2~11/23頃?(49~52号頃)

I think this information is useful.

Siberia
September 13, 2009, 08:09 PM
3~4年で死亡(145~192週) 15作品 3~4年の死亡率 39.5%(15/38) 例:とらぶる Dグレ ムヒョ

The partial info is obviously misleading if it includes D.gray man as one of the series beng axed within 3-4 years coz it isn't true.

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 08:28 PM
The partial info is obviously misleading if it includes D.gray man as one of the series beng axed within 3-4 years coz it isn't true.

Maybe move to different magazine count as being axed in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Kaiten
September 13, 2009, 09:14 PM
While information is always appreciated, please, post a translation for those of us who can't read Japanese. Thanks :)

Negative Syndicate
September 13, 2009, 09:59 PM
While information is always appreciated, please, post a translation for those of us who can't read Japanese. Thanks :)

Basically, first part is about the percentage of the series going to axe.

* Probability for the series will be cut in under 15 weeks is 31.1% (73 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 16~27 weeks is 40.7% (66 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut in under 1 year is 21.1% (20 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 1~2 years is 31.6% (24 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 2~3 years is 26.9% (14 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 3~4 years is 39.5% (15 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 4~5 years is 30.4% (7 series)
* Probability for the series will be serialized more than 5 years is 6.8% (16 series)

Second part is about schedule for next cut.

* Next Meeting for Canceling the series=October 2 (around Issue 44)
* Reporting the author to be axed=October 5 (around Issue 45)
* Hokenshitsu go into subject of shuffle (chapter 6)=October 12 (Issue 46)
* Lilienthal go into subject of shuffle (chapter 6)=October 19 (Issue 47)
* A work, which reported to be axe, will be publish=around October 26 (around Issue 48)
* Hokenshitsu will be completely cut from revision (chapter 9)=November 2 (Issue 49)
* Lilienthal will be completely cut from revision (chapter 9)=November 9 (Issue 50)
* Beginning of new series line-up and cancelation=around November 2~23 (around Issue 49~52)
[hr]
If next round cancelation start around issue 50, then the fate of Medaka and Akaboshi will be depend on next 5 rankings.

Medaka might have enough time for another short arc, and Akaboshi has enough time to wrap up Ryozanpaku arc. But I don't want neither of them be gone.

SSJWill4
September 13, 2009, 10:44 PM
Basically, first part is about the percentage of the series going to axe.

* Probability for the series will be cut in under 15 weeks is 31.1% (73 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 16~27 weeks is 40.7% (66 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut in under 1 year is 21.1% (20 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 1~2 years is 31.6% (24 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 2~3 years is 26.9% (14 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 3~4 years is 39.5% (15 series)
* Probability for the series will be cut between 4~5 years is 30.4% (7 series)
* Probability for the series will be serialized more than 5 years is 6.8% (16 series)

Unless I'm missing something, all the percentages except for the first one are wrong.

235 series total
(73/235) = 31.1%
28.1%
8.5%
10.2%
6%
6.4%
3%
6.8%

Siberia
September 14, 2009, 06:43 AM
* Next Meeting for Canceling the series=October 2 (around Issue 44)
* Reporting the author to be axed=October 5 (around Issue 45)

I thought the mangka would be notified right after the meeting rather than 2days after, isnt it similar to last week's chapter of Bakuman?

Drmke
September 14, 2009, 09:47 AM
How is not having enough pages for a single compiled volume a strange reason?

Because if they wanted to cancel it, they could just cut it and release whatever chapters they needed to fill the volume in the tank sperate from the magazine.

Hokenshitsu go into subject of shuffle (chapter 6)=October 12 (Issue 46)
Lilienthal go into subject of shuffle (chapter 6)=October 19 (Issue 47)
Hokenshitsu will be completely cut from revision (chapter 9)=November 2 (Issue 49)
Lilienthal will be completely cut from revision (chapter 9)=November 9 (Issue

What exactly does it mean by "shuffle" and "revision"?

Negative Syndicate
September 14, 2009, 10:56 AM
What exactly does it mean by "shuffle" and "revision"?

I think "shuffle" means the series' ranking might change due to change of pages or change of editing.

I think "revision" means that new series protection is over, new series going to be in survival.

Digital_Eon
September 14, 2009, 11:20 AM
Maybe move to different magazine count as being axed in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Maybe to that person, but not in general - it certainly didn't end, nor was it unpopular. Besides, DGM lasted over five years in Jump - why would it be in the 3-4 year bracket?

(What are the names of the two series listed after Neuro...?)

Mr. Prince
September 14, 2009, 11:40 AM
(What are the names of the two series listed after Neuro...?)
MisuFuru (short for Mr. Fullswing) & Whistle!

Estranho
September 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
I don't know why they count Neuro. It finished naturally, wasn't axed.

ruggia
September 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
how reliable is this "data"?
or a better question would be where did u get this? i'm guessing 2chan, but just to check..

i have no idea how they are coming up with the percentages. it seems like they have 235 series in total, but the way they divide them is pretty confusing....
never mind, i get it.

Unless I'm missing something, all the percentages except for the first one are wrong.

the percentages are more like a cumulative one that overall.
so for less than one year, its all 235 series, but after that, they subtract the ones that already got axed previously.
so, for 16~27 week, they take out the 73 series that got axed before 15 weeks (so 235-73=162) so their percentage is 66/162 = 40.7%

i think your percentages are much more useful.

Kaiten
September 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
The compilers goal seems to be finding the average life expectancy of all Jump series. Weather canceled, moved to another magazine or ended by the author they seem to want to know what percentage of series lasted how long. They seem to have skipped statistics class though >.<

ttxdragon
September 14, 2009, 12:19 PM
What makes you think he didn't get it right and skipped classes? ._.

He just wanted to have a different statistic than what you guys try to get out of it:
He's looking at how likely it is for a series that lasted x to last x+1.

The numbers are correct for that, it's just different from what you wanted.

ruggia
September 14, 2009, 12:36 PM
so basically, almost 60% of the series that come out in Jump dies within 27 weeks.
ouch, thats pretty harsh :D

so the big hurdle is the first half year.

Negative Syndicate
September 14, 2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know why they count Neuro. It finished naturally, wasn't axed.

It doesn't mean that Neuro got axed in 4~5 years, it shows the percentage that the series will be finished in 4~5 years.
[hr]
Is Lilienthal going to be short page gag series or normal 19 page series? I think Lilienthal going to be normal 19 page series because chapter 1 or short page gag series usually get just over 20 pages and turn into short page series from chapter 2, but looks like Lilienthal is having normal new series routine.

[Cross]
September 14, 2009, 08:24 PM
Considering that it actually got a cover, we can safely assume that it will be a normal 18~ pager.

haganenorenkin
September 14, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hi, does someone have the cover and ToC (scan) of the #42 Issue?
I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Kaiten
September 14, 2009, 09:22 PM
No one has posted a scan to MH yet, nor did the raws for Lilienthal contain one. Keep an eye on the first post of the thread, I add every cover once it's been posted.

[Cross]
September 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
This one

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/images/hyou1_42.jpg

It was on Jump's site. Though it's really low res, i'm surprised nobody has posted the high res cover yet.

Koshi_Inaba
September 15, 2009, 07:50 AM
I just realized that this week's issue is going to be released on saturday not monday, which means the raw are gonna come out faster

Heiji-sama
September 15, 2009, 11:05 AM
#43 (21/09) :
Nuraryon no Mago (Color Page)
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal (29p, Color Page)
Gintama
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Reborn
Wajima
Beelzebub (Color Page)
Baku-man (Cover)
Ane Dokî
Inumaru Dashi
Toriko
Medaka Box
Kochi Kame
Psyren
Sket Dance
Kuroko no Baset
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Jaguar

#44 (28/09) :
Bleach (Cover & Color Page)
Toriko, Kuroko no Basket (Color Page)
Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal (25p)

pandaaqueen
September 15, 2009, 11:11 AM
"Hokenshitsu no Shinigami" is unranked, right?

Koen
September 15, 2009, 11:13 AM

at this moment, it is (I think 8 issues is the amount for being unranked)

ruggia
September 15, 2009, 11:17 AM

nope. wait 6 more weeks.

Medaka isn't that far off from bottom 5 (only Kochikame below it), so its hardly an escape. i won't be surprised if it drops down again.

Waji is pretty high again. a bit surprised that Bakuman is so low even with the cover. i'm guessing something happened between Bakuman and Nurai about the cover.

whats up with Lilienthal getting so many pages? it seems like its more of a comedy than gag....

kewl0210
September 15, 2009, 11:31 AM
Still got a lotta new series, it screws everything all over... I dunno how Wajima got high but as most don't, I don't think it's gonna last. I think it's ranked now, this is the 9th week. Maybe Ane Doki'll do well enough to not get cut. Kagijin's bottoming out.

And it's weird, again, that something's got the cover but not a color page, and it's in the middle of the magazine. That really rarely happened but it just happened with Toriko before, too.

Nurarihyon still has its opening color, even if it isn't on the cover. This is Bakuman's anniversary issue, after all.

Rejuvenation
September 15, 2009, 12:05 PM
#43 (21/09) :
Nuraryon no Mago (Color Page)
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal (29p, Color Page)
Gintama
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Reborn
Wajima
Beelzebub (Color Page)
Baku-man (Cover)
Ane Dokî
Inumaru Dashi
Toriko
Medaka Box
Kochi Kame
Psyren
Sket Dance
Kuroko no Baset
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Jaguar

#44 (28/09) :
Bleach (Cover & Color Page)
Toriko, Kuroko no Basket (Color Page)
Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal (25p)

Looks like Medaka didn't get out by a large margin. Although if it consistently dodges the bottom 5 in the coming weeks it can survive the next cut.

One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach take the top 3 spots. I like where Reborn is but I want to see Toriko and Ane-doki a bit higher as well.

Looking forward to the Toriko cover and hope someone scans Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal. It at least has me somewhat interested to check it out.

StrangerAtaru
September 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
I really think that Mago got robbed of that cover but unfortunately it doesn't bring people in like Bakuman. Shame but that's how it is. Nothing really else to say considering most of the top ranks and most of the bottom ranks are same-old.

Negative Syndicate
September 15, 2009, 12:26 PM
I definietly think Lilienthal going to be normal series, not short paga gag series. But, I rather Ashihara serialized Trigger Keeper, instead Lilienthal.

And Medaka just barely escape bottom 5, so I think Medaka is not 100% safe, yet. I hope both Medaka and Akaboshi increase the ranking next week.

SameOld
September 15, 2009, 12:28 PM
Medaka doesn't seem like it'll last long out of the bottom 5. It's almost in it this week, and heck, it's an arc conclusion chapter. I predict it'll go back to second to last place next week.

Still bitter about Kuroko getting a color page. Or should I say, about Kuroko still being alive. It can't hold the readers' interest for too long despite being the most heavily pimped in the magazine in recent memory and only survived cancellation so far because it's the last representative of its genre. I bet the editors will stop caring for it as soon as a better sports series comes and steals the spotlight. I'll pray for that to happen.

ruggia
September 15, 2009, 12:39 PM
Still bitter about Kuroko getting a color page. Or should I say, about Kuroko still being alive. It can't hold the readers' interest for too long despite being the most heavily pimped in the magazine in recent memory and only survived cancellation so far because it's the last representative of its genre. I bet the editors will stop caring for it as soon as a better sports series comes and steals the spotlight. I'll pray for that to happen.

its not THAT bad. i found the latest chapter pretty amusing, because it wasn't about Basketball :p.
yeah, but i do hope for something better. but i think Kuroko will last at least a year and a half. probably 2 or even more depending on how well it does. its the only sports manga AND its doing pretty good on sales

i don't really see Hokenshitsu as a Jump series, so i'm betting it will eventually join the bottom group once it gets ranked.

[Cross]
September 15, 2009, 01:39 PM
its not THAT bad. i found the latest chapter pretty amusing, because it wasn't about Basketball :p.

So maybe the author should turn the series into a slice of life manga and put the basketball in the background >.> Medaka and Akaboshi seem to be in the same boat, their lives will most likely depend on the tanko sales, and if not then the next couple of rankings, which I don't think will change that much at all anyways.

BBB Banana
September 15, 2009, 02:47 PM
Is there a cover for akaboshi's tank already? I believe that if it get's a really god cover it can atract a lot of readrs since the art is really good.

Drmke
September 15, 2009, 06:57 PM
Well I'm very excited about the Mago color even if it didn't get an awesome cover...and Reborn and Kuroko are still too high for my taste but I guess that's just how it is.

SameOld
September 15, 2009, 08:06 PM
and Reborn and Kuroko are still too high for my taste but I guess that's just how it is.

Kuroko no Baset
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Jaguar

LOL.
Also, did anyone else find it funny that the typo in Kuroko's name made it seem like "basement"? :P

Drmke
September 15, 2009, 08:23 PM
Still too high ^^ lol just not a fan of it and don't really like the story.

And even though I don't really like it, I still read it and expect it to be around for at least 7 volumes. Though there is a decent chance it will manage to last longer.

Kaiten
September 15, 2009, 09:34 PM
As said, Kuroko is here to stay, for a long long time. It's tankobon sales continue to increase. Total sales for volume 2 were higher then volume 7 of Psyren. I don't like the series either but no amount of bashing in this thread will make Kuroko go away.

Last time it had color pages Bakuman lost the cover to Naruto. This week makes up for it. Shame it came at the expense Mago but at least it retained front color.

Digital_Eon
September 15, 2009, 10:07 PM
If there's any justice in this world, Mago will steal Bleach's next cover.

Kaiten
September 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
lmao! That would be hilarious. Toriko did that earlier this year, remember? It lost a cover to Naruto, the next week swiped one from Bleach :D

pandaaqueen
September 16, 2009, 01:15 AM
Cool that Reborn! and Gintama are so high <3

Toriko, however, should be a bit higher :I

kewl0210
September 16, 2009, 01:45 AM
Toriko (based on the chapter) was at a sort of "between arcs" mini arc. But realized with so much being unranked in this issue, it's 9th. If you don't count Wajimania which is just barely ranked, it's the 9th chapter, it's one higher. Though yeah, should be higher anyway.

Here's the list of actual rank, BTW. (If I remember all the rules right)

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Bleach
4. Gintama
5. Reborn
6. Wajima
7. Ane Dokî
8. Inumaru Dashi
9. Toriko
10. Medaka Box
11. Psyren
12. Sket Dance
13. Kuroko no Baset
14. Akaboshi
15. Kagijin

Protegon
September 16, 2009, 08:15 AM
COVER WSJ #43
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7749/765191.jpg

Crude
September 16, 2009, 10:47 AM
It's awesome how the cover looks like panels from a manga! Even cooler is the fact that Beelzebub, Mago and Kochikame are also featured in the panels!

Kaiten
September 16, 2009, 11:14 AM
Very cool. The panel work leaves a little to be desired, not a fan of small crowded panels ;)

BBB Banana
September 16, 2009, 03:40 PM
Obata's art is great so is this cover.

Drmke
September 16, 2009, 03:52 PM
Very nice cover. One of my recent favs.

Rainier
September 16, 2009, 05:14 PM
Is that Near in one of the panels? Im pretty sure he is there.

kewl0210
September 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
That's Fukuda...

And yeah, it's a really cool idea for a cover.

[Cross]
September 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
Wow, did anyone hear of this?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-09-16/shueisha-apologizes-for-sket-dance-helium-inhaling-scene

Shueisha posted an apology for Sket Dance. Seems odd since other events depicted in their publsihed manga have actually led to people dying (Naruto, sand suffocating) while nothing has come from this to issue such a thing. Though, this scene seems to be easier and more realistic to imitate. If people are curious, the questionable scene is the first page of chapter 105.

Has Shueisha ever posted an apology about anything?

Kaiten
September 16, 2009, 06:48 PM
I saw that, pretty wild. While I'm sure there are dangers associated with helium inhalation many a child has sucked on a balloon and lived to tell. While such irresponsible activity may result in a squeaky voice, this is only temporary, speech will most likely return to normal in a twenty to forty seconds.

My god Shueisha, they just inhaled helium. Get over it >.<

Drmke
September 16, 2009, 06:50 PM
A lot of people probably complained to them and they felt an apology would shut them up.

[Cross]
September 16, 2009, 06:52 PM
They say forums were outraged. That begs the question, what the heck kind of forum gets angry over this? (While I do understand that it is Japan, still)

Drmke
September 16, 2009, 06:54 PM
Its weird that with all the stuff kids watch over there (violence, language, tentacle monster sex :XD) helium is where the Japanese people draw the line lol

Kaiten
September 16, 2009, 06:57 PM
Oh, I'm sure. It can get on my nerves when companies are so afraid of bad PR that they apologies for harmless, mindless, meaningless things. There are far more "offensive" things currently in the magazine.

On a different note: Obata covers always leave me disappointed. His color work for Bakuman. has been phenomenal. Better then any current series except Mago. But the way he colors the cover is so bland compared to his splashes. Compared to Inoue's covers for the last two issues of Morning this is not much to look at. The design is excellent, but the coloring is as bland as Kishi and Oda.

Heiji - sama posted Mago's color pages in the Miscellaneous Magazine thread. (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50817&page=5) I've put them in spoilers in case any one is waiting for the chapter to be released. It may not have gotten a cover, but finally, Mago gets a two page spread!!!

http://img186.imagevenue.com/loc433/th_18118_nura01_122_433lo.jpg (http://img186.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc433&image=18118_nura01_122_433lo.jpg) http://img12.imagevenue.com/loc466/th_18119_nura02_122_466lo.jpg (http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc466&image=18119_nura02_122_466lo.jpg)

eni
September 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
I don't think it's about the helium but about the bottle. That is very dangerous. Helium from a balloon not so much. Just imagine you inhale like this and someone opens the bottle too much.

BBB Banana
September 16, 2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah I think they did well you know how kids are nowadays. When I was in 6th grade or something some friends tried to mimic wwe dangerous moves and allways ended up hurting theselves.( pro wrestling for those who don't know)

[Cross]
September 16, 2009, 07:03 PM
I don't think it's about the helium but about the bottle. That is very dangerous. Helium from a balloon not so much. Just imagine you inhale like this and someone opens the bottle too much.

While that's true, it's not realistic to expect kids who don't know any better to get a helium tank and take in the helium.

Drmke
September 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah I think they did well you know how kids are nowadays. When I was in 6th grade or something some friends tried to mimic wwe dangerous moves and allways ended up hurting theselves.( pro wrestling for those who don't know)

Well I guess I just tend to see most kids with more common sense then they probably have. I mean even when I was little and watched some very violent show with plenty of drug use, I had enough sense not to mimic what I saw no matter how "funny" it might have been.

BBB Banana
September 16, 2009, 07:10 PM
Well I guess I just tend to see most kids with more common sense then they probably have. I mean even when I was little and watched some very violent show with plenty of drug use, I had enough sense not to mimic what I saw no matter how "funny" it might have been.

You migth Had more comom sense and me to but I have to say kids have less and less comon sense in our days.

Anyway series like bleach and naruto are more fictional than sket dance you can't use bankai to kill someone or manipulate sand to crush someone bones LOL.

Oh and remember kids are all godie godie in front of older people so you don't know their true face XD.

eni
September 16, 2009, 07:13 PM
;1574913']While that's true, it's not realistic to expect kids who don't know any better to get a helium tank and take in the helium.
It's not that unrealistic when you think what a teenie would do to try helium. That can range from buying the small bottles and inhaling it directly from them (same effect as the big tank, immense dangerous pressure) or even breaking into a unsecured warehouse or whatever where such tanks are kept. Helium is not that much under security that it isn't available in one way or another.

You could even have a kid finger around the tank of a open balloon shop at the carnival in just one unobserved minute or the parents simply own a bottle. I own one too as well as air pressure bottles but I keep them out of reach for the kids, of course. However, they're kinda impossible to hide from a teenie.

[Cross]
September 16, 2009, 07:20 PM
Right, though a teenie should know better, one way or another. But since Sket Dance seems to be one of the more realistic series in the Jump roster, I can see that when something like this happens, it would raise eye-brows.

Kaiten
September 16, 2009, 08:59 PM
September Jump Comics sales, week 2:

1. One Piece vol 55 (366,160/1,487,845)
4. Gintama vol 30 (130,932/334,682)
11. Beelzebub vol 2 (41,584/109,656)
13. Kuroko no Basket vol 3 (31,469/74,889)
19. Kochikame vol 166 (28,047/66,311)
27. One Piece vol 54 (20,922/1,872,375)

Full top 30 (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1575109#post1575109)

Beelzebub breaks 100,000 in it's second week. Need anymore proof it will be a hit? Kuroko exceeding 70,000 is equally impressive. Consider both to be part of Jump's next generation.

Is it just me or will Jump be a better magazine when Naruto, Reborn, and Bleach end. The next wave is so much more varied and interesting then the last. Bakuman, Toriko, Beelzebub, Mago, Sket Dance, and Kuroko make a really interesting line up, no? One Piece would still be around, same with the occasional Togashi sighting too.

Drmke
September 16, 2009, 09:10 PM
Wow Kuroko is truly a force to be reckoned with. I will definitely have to change my opinion on it. If only the story would pick up some.

And the new generation is becoming quite impressive. It is definitely time for all the old men of the magazine (except One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Kochi, and Jaguar) to start thinking about retirement before they are forced into it.

This makes me wonder if Akaboshi and Medaka will get decent sales next month. Doubt they will break into the top 30, but it would be nice if they didn't bomb in sales.

Rejuvenation
September 16, 2009, 09:46 PM
Is it just me or will Jump be a better magazine when Naruto, Reborn, and Bleach end. The next wave is so much more varied and interesting then the last. Bakuman, Toriko, Beelzebub, Mago, Sket Dance, and Kuroko make a really interesting line up, no? One Piece would still be around, same with the occasional Togashi sighting too.

Yes, since all 3 are essentially battle manga and don't really bring anything new into the magazine.

I actually expect Bakuman to end before Bleach but this upcoming line up is promising nonetheless.

DeidaraGrimmjow
September 17, 2009, 12:22 AM
Bakuman, Toriko, Beelzebub, Mago, Sket Dance, and Kuroko make a really interesting line up, no? One Piece would still be around, same with the occasional Togashi sighting too.

Should I be worried that you did not include Psyren?

Kaiten
September 17, 2009, 01:40 AM
No. Not really. I think it will last three or four years, the whole story will be told with a satisfying ending. Unlike the ones I listed I wouldn't call it a hit. I doubt Bakuman will much, given the story I imagine Ohba will end it after three years (give or take). But it's certainly the best seller, so far, of the series from 2007 - 2009.

Koshi_Inaba
September 17, 2009, 02:22 AM
Psyren will probably become a cult hit like neuro or muhyo, not a big hit like Mago, Toriko, Beelze, etc

SameOld
September 17, 2009, 05:05 AM
I doubt Bakuman will much, given the story I imagine Ohba will end it after three years (give or take).

I disagree. Three years is way too much. I can see it ending in forty chapters at most. There isn't too much left to do with the story now that the last important topic has been covered in the latest chapter. From now on, all that's left to do is

showing Saiko and Shuujin's return to Jump, which is basically repeating the first half of the story.

Bakuman's chapters are really fast-paced and show LOTS of things happening at once, and if you take Death Note into consideration, it doesn't seem like Ohba's the kind of guy who likes to drag his stories for too long, so there's absolutely no reason Bakuman can't wrap itself up in a hundred chapters or so.

ruggia
September 17, 2009, 07:11 AM
Bakuman's chapters are really fast-paced and show LOTS of things happening at once, and if you take Death Note into consideration, it doesn't seem like Ohba's the kind of guy who likes to drag his stories for too long, so there's absolutely no reason Bakuman can't wrap itself up in a hundred chapters or so.

hmmm.... to me, Death Note seemed like a badly managed manga that started to drag on once L died. it seemed like Ohba tried to keep the manga in too much drama and fast-pace story that he made the mistake of rushing the death of L. after L died, it seemed like the story was dragging on senselessly. i figured the Death Note ended at that point because the mangakas ran out of stuff to continue.
hopefully, Bakuman remains stable till the end. but i can see how the story could drag on once Ohba runs out of ideas.

i'm surprised how well Kochikame is selling, even after all those years.... its still popular i guess

fxu
September 17, 2009, 11:47 AM
Need any more proof that the series that get pimped with colors and covers are bigger hits than those who don't?

What are the chances of Beelzebub reaching 100k if it wasn't for those 10+ colors. Hell, getting even 3 colors in just two months is pimping it... considering you have ~20 series.

52 week / 20 series = 2 colors a year every series, and some might get more.

I don't understand why they keep giving it to those who are already big sellers (although a little reward along the way wouldn't hurt)... perhaps it doesn't work how I think it does. Does Jump commission the authors to color, or does the author colors it and lets the Jump staff know they have one?

Yes, this all falls back down to Psyren not getting any fucking love :( (although I wouldn't like it if Psyren was getting pimped instead of Beelzebub)

BBB Banana
September 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
I'm not sure but in one of bakuman chapters they said they pay twice as much for coloured pages. (not sure if it was twice )

So a colour page is areward for the good work. Also Jump has lot's of people tring to get serialized and if one series is doing bad is easier to axe it and put a new one.

shades7000
September 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
Hmm does anyone have a chart that shows how many color pages each jump series has had since they were serialized?

Koshi_Inaba
September 17, 2009, 08:10 PM
Need any more proof that the series that get pimped with colors and covers are bigger hits than those who don't?

What are the chances of Beelzebub reaching 100k if it wasn't for those 10+ colors. Hell, getting even 3 colors in just two months is pimping it... considering you have ~20 series.

52 week / 20 series = 2 colors a year every series, and some might get more.

I don't understand why they keep giving it to those who are already big sellers (although a little reward along the way wouldn't hurt)... perhaps it doesn't work how I think it does. Does Jump commission the authors to color, or does the author colors it and lets the Jump staff know they have one?

Yes, this all falls back down to Psyren not getting any fucking love :( (although I wouldn't like it if Psyren was getting pimped instead of Beelzebub)

Mago only got five color during it's first year, it managed to break 100k in it's second volume. Psyren is more of a case of not finding it's audience yet

Kaiten
September 17, 2009, 09:08 PM
Color pages seem to be a reward for preforming well on the TOC, sales don't seem to have much to do with it. Look at ToRa, great sales, terrible rankings, no covers, very little color. Mago was similar to Psyren, good early results before dropping for a long time. Only Mago has sold well from the start and hasn't dropped to the bottom five in a long time, so it's been starting to get more color recently.

Rejuvenation
September 18, 2009, 12:11 AM
^Unless you are Kuroko. You will get colors even if you keep dropping into the bottom 5 or even hit dead last. =P

I'm not sure but in one of bakuman chapters they said they pay twice as much for coloured pages. (not sure if it was twice )

Kubo must have made a nice sum from all the color whoring Bleach had going on this year.

Kaiten
September 18, 2009, 12:58 AM
I wonder how much ability/desire to produce color factors in. Maybe Kubo can whip together a splash in like five minutes while Iwashiro labors for three days :/

If a series is going to be whored at least it's a good one like Beelzebub. And hey, It may not get color pages but Tamura was an assistant on Psyren!

predsfan
September 18, 2009, 01:01 AM
I wonder how much ability/desire to produce color factors in. Maybe Kubo can whip together a splash in like five minutes while Iwashiro labors for three days :/

That what I always thought was one of the key factors. That's why I used to think Bleach used to get a lot of colors. While his color pages do look pretty awesome (most of the time) that don't seem as time consuming as say a OP color spread usually is.

Koshi_Inaba
September 18, 2009, 01:07 AM
How long do you think it took for Obata and Shiibashi to put the colors in? Considering Bakuman and Mago's color are always amazing and quite detailed, I don't think it's easy or took a short while to create

Crude
September 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
The last two Bleach colour pages were pretty bare-boned unfortunately. The others tend to be awesome though.

Naruto also seems to get a lot of colour pages, maybe due to the colouring style having degraded into simple cel-shading :(. They're still pretty good though.

Wish Psyren had more colour pages. It has plenty of great ones, but the last was horribly bland.

Rainier
September 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Wow, this weeks Magazine is looking pretty good. One Piece, Bakuman, Naruto, Bleach, all had great, great chapters.

*Awaits for Reborn*

Crude
September 18, 2009, 01:48 PM
The way you capitalized magazine makes it look like you were talking about Shounen Magazine, the same way people refer to this magazine by Jump.

◆ T.D.A ◆
September 18, 2009, 01:58 PM
I think Kubo is a pretty talented and skilled drawer especially when it comes to faces, I think he's just fast at drawing characters.

Googlez_kun
September 18, 2009, 02:08 PM
well,obata is coloring his drawings quite quickly,just look at how many colored pages he did for death note and at such a high level!!
though the drawings from bakuman are a huge step back!!!!death note's art and the art of the previous manga he drew were thousand times better,bakuman's art is still good,but not as excellent as before....

and it's also sad how kishimoto's colorings have gotten so bad:(wow....cell-shading...even i am better at coloring than him:notrust
he was so good before:(

BBB Banana
September 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Kubo must have made a nice sum from all the color whoring Bleach had going on this year.

Yeah he may have but grat autors get money from tanks so Kishimoto, Oda (especialy), and kubo are swiming in money.

And about kishi's art I think the original naruto's style was so much better.

Bakuman volume covers and colour pages do look awesome.
[hr]
By the way this migth not be the apropriate place to ask but now that the Gintama anime is ending will they make OVAs with the remaining chapter like HunterxHunter or D.gray-man?

Akiyama
September 18, 2009, 03:52 PM
Off topic discussion on Gintama Anime moved here Otaku Theater (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279)

Rainier
September 18, 2009, 05:43 PM
The way you capitalized magazine makes it look like you were talking about Shounen Magazine, the same way people refer to this magazine by Jump.

True, don't really care about it though, lol. But you can't forget that this is Weekly Shounen Jump Magazine's thread :P

@Googlez_kun: I don't think that's the case with Oba, what I think he's doing is trying to appeal the drawing to younger readers, I do think they look more childish. If you go back a few chapters the art is actually as good as Deathnote.

He's either trying new stuff, or he's sick. Because I've honestly never heard of a Mangaka getting worse at his drawings, and less a mangaka who doesn't have to think about the Manga's history.

Then again, you might be right :P Exceptions exist after all.

M-Hario
September 18, 2009, 07:56 PM
#43 HQ cover scanned by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/9177/bakumanch05400.th.jpg (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/bakumanch05400.jpg/)

Added~~Thanks!!

Kaiten
September 18, 2009, 08:32 PM
So that leaves issue 42 as the only missing cover.

Negative Syndicate
September 18, 2009, 09:55 PM
There is still no news for Hunter's return. If it did come back, we should get an information by now.If Hunter doesn't return, I think there might be only 2 outs on next round (maybe).

After reading some series past few weeks, I'm thinking that Medaka is going toward the end, well I might be wrong, too. Also, I, personaly, think that Kagijin got better on last few weeks. I think there is a chance that Kagijin might escape bottom 5 on few weeks after, like Akaboshi. Also, we still don't know that Wajimania will go down or not, but I can say that either Inumaru or Wajimania has to go. We don't need three short page gag series.

Kaiten
September 18, 2009, 10:11 PM
If Hunter x Hunter comes back it won't be until October. We will find out when color pages are announced for the appropriate issue. Since it could come back in any of the next five or six issue there is quite a bit of time for an announcement to come.

There will be probably be three series cut in November/December. It's pretty rare for only two series to debut in December, it happens, but so rarely it isn't even worth mentioning examples :)

Negative Syndicate
September 18, 2009, 10:36 PM
If Hunter x Hunter comes back it won't be until October. We will find out when color pages are announced for the appropriate issue. Since it could come back in any of the next five or six issue there is quite a bit of time for an announcement to come.

There will be probably be three series cut in November/December. It's pretty rare for only two series to debut in December, it happens, but so rarely it isn't even worth mentioning examples :)

Actually, Hunter's return usually announce few weeks earlier. So, I think the editors should mention Hunter's return earlier. Also, Hunter's return is still rumor, not confirmed yet.

Also, it is actually not rare for only two series in December. I think 2000, 2001, 2003, 2005, and 2006 didn't had three new series on winter, so I think chance of having three new series on this year is like 50-50.

BBB Banana
September 19, 2009, 07:35 AM
If Hunter x Hunter comes back let's hope the art is back better.

It's not like it's bad now like it was at some point but there's room for improvment.

Crude
September 19, 2009, 11:09 AM
From what I've heard, Togashi works alone with no assistants at all. That and he has an illness I hear.

Digital_Eon
September 19, 2009, 12:33 PM
From what I've heard, Togashi works alone with no assistants at all. That and he has an illness I hear.

Technically, an addiction to video games IS a (mental) illness...

With so many new series doing badly this year, though, I can't see Jump only kicking out two of them - though tank sales will probably be the deciding factor, and we'll see those in a few weeks. New Years' debuts get a lot of attention, don't they?

BBB Banana
September 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
How old is Hunter x Hunter's author? Sorachi once was addicted to Monster Hunter LOL but fortunately it never interfered with it's manga production (he even did an arc based on that).

y A M A T O
September 19, 2009, 12:38 PM
well,obata is coloring his drawings quite
though the drawings from bakuman are a huge step back!!!!death note's art and the art of the previous manga he drew were thousand times better,bakuman's art is still good,but not as excellent as before....

i don't think so. my point of view: the style of Bakuman is completely different than DN's one. DN is aesthetic, Bakuman is expressive (in fact, he has plenty of different drawing techniques)

Crude
September 19, 2009, 12:52 PM
About Bakuman's art, it's not that Obata has worsened after Death Note, it's just that he's going with a different style, one that's more suitable for the lighthearted story. While Death Note's art can be seen as more realistic and better aesthetically, like it was said in the post above, Bakuman is a whole lot more expressive (maybe too much at times :)).

Kaiten
September 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
With so many new series doing badly this year, though, I can't see Jump only kicking out two of them - though tank sales will probably be the deciding factor, and we'll see those in a few weeks. New Years' debuts get a lot of attention, don't they?

QFT^ By my count there have been seven new series since May. Only two series from 2009 have been canceled to make room for them, three for the whole year (Meister, Bokkesan, Hoopmen). Hoopmen was the last 2009 series to end, back in late June. Otherwise (more or less) established series have been ending; Asklepios, Neuro, D. Gray Man, Eyeshield 21, and To Love Ru. That has left nine series less than a year old currently in the magazine. Of those virtually all of Medaka, Akaboshi, and Kagijin's chapters have been in the bottom five while we have to wait and see with Waji. Rilienthal and Hokenshitsu are to new to judge. Ane Doki is middling but with at least three 2009 series below it safe. Beelzebub and Kuroko are both rising hits. As I see it there will be anywhere from three to six series doing poorly enough to cancel. In my opinion there is more likely to be four new series in December than two. Don't count on volume sales to salvage anything; Medaka and Akaboshi will both have a volume out before cuts but that won't help unless one of them sells like volume one of Toriko. That's what would be necesairy to overcome such atrocious fan polling, proof that one of the two is a lock future best seller.

Negative Syndicate
September 19, 2009, 01:34 PM
With the success of 2008 series (Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Inumaru) and 2009 series (Kuroko, Beelzebub, Ane Dokii), I'm not sure whether their going to be enough rooms for 2010 series.

ruggia
September 19, 2009, 02:14 PM
so the ones that have a chance of getting replaced right now are Waji, Medaka, Kagijin, Akaboshi. The ones that will join the competition later are Lilienthal and Hokenshitsu..... there still lot of room for replacements in my opinion.

feels like there will be lot of new series coming and going next year. and i don't think Psyren is going to be that safe on 2010.....

about Bakuman and Death Note art, they both fit the mood and style of their respective mangas very well. but i prefer Bakuman art a lot better.
the artist seems to be constantly changing his style for each of his hit mangas. (Hikaru no go, DN, Bakuman)

SameOld
September 19, 2009, 03:12 PM
With the success of 2008 series (Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, Inumaru) and 2009 series (Kuroko, Beelzebub, Ane Dokii), I'm not sure whether their going to be enough rooms for 2010 series.

Ane Dokii isn't guaranteed as a success yet. It had pretty much the same reception as Medaka Box for its first few chapters, and look where Medaka is now. Psyren has never been 100% safe and still isn't; a few months in the bottom 5 are still a good reason to cancel it, since its volume sales are nothing to brag about. Inumaru isn't exactly what one would call a success either; if it stays on the bottom 5 for long, being the worst seller in the mag, it would become the number one candidate to get axed. Not that I see this happening anytime soon but who knows.

I still believe Waji has failed and its ToC placements don't matter anymore. There's no way in hell Kagijin will get out of the last place before the next season of cuts comes around; these two are as good as dead. Now the question is whether Medaka, Akaboshi or even one of the newcomers will be the third one to die.

Drmke
September 19, 2009, 07:31 PM
I kinda agree that there is a good chance Wajima is a failure though I have no proff and it could be a huge hit for all I know....I'm just guessing here ;)

I think Kagijin is going no matter how many new ones come in...unless a miracle happens. And of if four new series come in....well goodbye almost every new series from '09. :darn

SameOld
September 19, 2009, 08:27 PM
I'm more worried about the series that are gonna debut, rather than the ones that are gonna go (unless Akaboshi has to go, that is). I'm crossing my fingers for a new sports series that steals the spotlight and all the pimping from Kuroko. If Kuroko isn't the last remnant of the sports genre in the mag anymore, a few weeks in the bottom will be enough to kill it, regardless of volume sales (for now at least; once it reaches the 100k mark, it's pretty much safe, but as long as that doesn't happen, it's NOT completely safe).

Kaiten
September 19, 2009, 11:41 PM
Ane Doki has been in the bottom five once since it debuted. Medaka has only been out of the bottom five three times. Akaboshi has only been out once. Kagijin has yet to get out. Ane Doki may never be a hit but those three will certainly protect it when the next cuts come.

I'm not ready to write off Waji yet. Every single time there is a new gag or comedy series every body who posts in this thread, then and now, immediately assume it will be canceled, if it's not they assume it's being pimped. Yusah, Sket Dance, Poseidon, Inumaru, and now Waji have all been written off before chapter ten. Poseidon is the only one, so far, canceled after one volume. Let's wait and see with Waji. I brought it up earlier as it really is hard to tell how new gag are doing. Come November it really could be canceled, but there is just as good a chance it has a wrong run.

Gag manga don't sell as much as other genres. Inumaru has only had one volume released. Shueisha is expecting it to grow into a strong seller by gag standards not by One Piece standards. Going by that benchmark it could sell as well as Jaguar someday. It is here to stay.

kewl0210
September 20, 2009, 12:08 AM
Inumaru has 2 released and the third one comes out pretty soon, actually...

But yeah, doesn't sell much.

Crude
September 20, 2009, 05:58 AM
I know Psyren doesn't sell much compared to other Jump series, but what about series from other magazines? Doesn't it sell better than a lot of Magazine and Sunday series (not the more popular ones though)?

SameOld
September 20, 2009, 06:31 AM
I know Psyren doesn't sell much compared to other Jump series, but what about series from other magazines? Doesn't it sell better than a lot of Magazine and Sunday series (not the more popular ones though)?

Its sales are equivalent to a middle tier Magazine or Sunday series. Not too expressive even for their standards.

salam-daim
September 20, 2009, 04:14 PM
the second chapter for Kashikoi Ken Lilenthal :D
here (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4S2Y7WET)

from heiji-sama

jose
September 20, 2009, 04:41 PM
No TOC today?

Koshi_Inaba
September 20, 2009, 09:36 PM
Wow, the toc's really late

Kaiten
September 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
Please do not spam the thread in regards to the bottom five. As soon as it is available someone will post it. In the meantime please be patient :)

Negative Syndicate
September 20, 2009, 10:48 PM
Well, this was late.

594 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/09/21(月) 12:44:48 ID:uuv/5DmNO
おまっとさん
小ネタ
・44ドベ6 鍵、めだか、PSY、姉、わじま、赤星
・45巻頭リボ<4号連続カラー扉&スクープだとか
 C姉、PSY

Issue 44=Bottom 6

Akaboshi
Wajima
Ane Dokii
Psyren
Medaka
Kagijin

Issue 45
Lead CP: Reborn (going to have 4 colours on a row!!:o + I think Reborn is having a big announcement)
CP: Ane Dokii, Psyren

I'm happy that Akaboshi rises.:) But Medaka returns to its place again.:(

Also, I think Wajima is unranked series because when koneta showed bottom 6 instead of bottom 5, there are one series that are unranked, like Kochikame.

Magicoreo
September 20, 2009, 10:54 PM
Well Psyren fans will be delighted to hear about this... About the color pages, the ranking, maybe not so much.
I couldn't really get into it even though I read up to what, chapter 71? Should I get back to reading it? I'd have to say it was a bit entertaining...

Akaboshi escapes. Whoosh~

Ane Dokii getting another color? I enjoy the series but it's been in the bottom five for a while, isn't this a bit too much?

jose
September 20, 2009, 11:00 PM
They are trying to pimp anedoki

No bashing of other manga please ;)-I'm_Akiyama

Kaiten
September 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Not happy about Ane Doki falling to the bottom five. What does four color in a row mean for Reborn? Unless it's ending it better not get color in four straight issues.

Magicoreo
September 20, 2009, 11:03 PM
Trash? I do not like how you word it... :O
Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and such, but going to the extent of calling someone's work as 'trash?' A bit extreme, no?

I think every manga that has been created and will be created deserves a chance, no?

Sorry, sorry, a bit off topic.

Negative Syndicate
September 20, 2009, 11:06 PM
What does four color in a row mean for Reborn? Unless it's ending it better not get color in four straight issues.

I think Reborn is having four colours in a row because maybe there are big project coming up for Reborn. Maybe it is having a first film, a musical, or something.

Kaiten
September 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
This thread (and the WSJ LJ) has a long tradition of animosity towards school life/comedy/romance/slice of life manga. Gintama aside most members seem to dislike and predict doom for anything but action series. Shame really, while not a classic like Hatsukoi or Ichigo 100%, Ane Doki is a good read. Lot's of typically great Kawashita characters, great art and a fun story. Certainly a lot better then more generic action.
[hr]

I think Reborn is having four colours in a row because maybe there are big project coming up for Reborn. Maybe it is having a first film, a musical, or something.

Good help us, not a musical. The Bleach musical was cracktastic enough :darn

Magicoreo
September 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
Wow, that's honestly messed up. I mean, really messed up.
That ticks me off a bit, I mean, I really love manga...

Yeah, Ane Dokii is really a good read...

Mr. Prince
September 20, 2009, 11:30 PM
You must be f*cking kidding me...4 straight weeks of CPs? That's just absurd...whatever that "scoop" is Koneta speaks of it's a complete farce giving that many limelight to an already established series, IMO.

[I skipped over some CP database and in the past 9 years this happened twice. (Last series to receive such a thing was Death Note in '05 and apart from that it was Jaguar! in its beginning but that doesn't really count since Jaguar had like 12 CPs in its first 18 weeks or so, as a Jaguar! fanboy I counted them some time ago...)]

Apart from that, sad to see Ane-doki falling back. And it seems like Akaboshi tries its best but it can't really get out of that hole...

Galactic Tomahawk
September 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
Akaboshi rises the day after I start reading it.

I've developed superpowers.

Rejuvenation
September 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
Well, this was late.

Issue 44=Bottom 6

Akaboshi
Wajima
Ane Dokii
Psyren
Medaka
Kagijin

Issue 45
Lead CP: Reborn (going to have 4 colours on a row!!:o + I think Reborn is having a big announcement)
CP: Ane Dokii, Psyren

Medaka has fallen back down. I think it could possibly jump next week since that is the end of the arc. Maybe the week after that if they like Kikaijima's character. I'm still curious about how it will sell next month.

I'm disappointed that Ane Doki has fallen too but its should still be alright for now.

Same with Psyren although it seems to have gone back to bottom dwelling.

I'm looking forward to the Ane Doki and Psyren colors.

Not happy about Ane Doki falling to the bottom five. What does four color in a row mean for Reborn? Unless it's ending it better not get color in four straight issues.

Nah, Reborn is still in the middle of the Byakuran+Real Funeral Wreaths confrontation. After that there is still the Arcobaleno to deal with. An ending is still probably 2 years off at the minimum.

salam-daim
September 20, 2009, 11:52 PM
bottom 5:

Akaboshi
Wajima
Ane Dokî
Psyren
Medaka Box
Kagijin

#45 (05/10) :
Reborn (Couv, Page Couleur + Scoop)
Ane Dokî, Psyren (Page Couleur)

#46 (12/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

#47 (19/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

#48 (26/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

Magicoreo
September 20, 2009, 11:53 PM
#46 (12/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

#47 (19/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

#48 (26/10) :
Reborn (Page Couleur)

I call bs. This has never happened in Jump, has it? 4 PC in a row.

Kaiten
September 20, 2009, 11:54 PM
Psyren finally getting color again is worth celebrating!

Since Koneta has never really posted fake spoilers I'm not ready to call Reborn BS. It is rare but as Mr. Prince said Death Note and Jaguar have both gotten as many or more in a row. I'm not happy about it but I'll assume it's true until proven wrong. Considering Reborn is one of the most popular current series - only behind OP, Naruto, and Bleach - it is conceivable.

salam-daim
September 20, 2009, 11:58 PM
a big announcement for reborn
it's rare to see so many colors pages in a row

Rejuvenation
September 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hah, assuming it actually gets each of those colors for the next month Reborn will equal the likes of Beelzebub in the color department this year. As well as being one ahead of Bleach and Kuroko until #44 comes out.

With that many colors in a row, it has to be something colossal.

Koshi_Inaba
September 21, 2009, 12:14 AM
Well, I was hoping Mago would get cover this or next issue, guess I still have to wait. I can't wait to see the scoop about reborn. As long as it's not a musical, there's no problem, though I would be glad if it's a movie. But really, did OP, Naruto or Bleach ever get this kind of treatment? I hope Gintama will get whatever it is reborn getting

ruggia
September 21, 2009, 01:23 AM
So Medaka comes back down again~~~ it's in the danger zone for sure now.
And seems like Kagijin is hopeless.
So we finally see Waji coming down to Bottom 5.
Yey for Psyren color :D

and what is up with reborn... Something happened?is it like an anniversary or something?

Siberia
September 21, 2009, 01:27 AM
Not an anniversary for reborn Hitman I guess...would it be a movie adaptation?

KuwabaraTheMan
September 21, 2009, 01:32 AM
It has to be a movie announcement. The manga is not even close to being finished. I can't really see them making a Reborn drama, so a movie is about the only announcement that would be big enough.

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm not even sure a movie would be enough to warrant that much color. That's insane. Maybe the end of the future arc and a movie announcement. Maybe I'm thinking on to grand a scale.

ruggia
September 21, 2009, 01:51 AM
Live-action adaption is ..... impossible.
They can't be doing it for reaching 300th chapter. Same goes for movie.
Maybe it won an award? (very unlikely :P)
I guess we will have to wait for the "scoop".

Whatever the case, the mangaka is making huge money with all those colors.

fxu
September 21, 2009, 01:58 AM
Wow Reborn... you better have a good reason for having 4 colors in a row, or welcome to my black list! >:[ You'll get to be next to Bleach and Beelzebub. Both color-whores.

Sad to see Psyren in the bottom 5... but yay cus it gets a color the week after! :D

SameOld
September 21, 2009, 06:06 AM
Akaboshi started rising sooner than I expected. If a weak chapter such as 12 got it out of the bottom 5, I can only expect it to skyrocket with chapters 13 and 14. :P Maybe the readers are finally starting to realize how good it is. Took them long enough.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but this is the second time Psyren gets a color page right after bottoming out. I guess it's Shueisha's way of showing they care for it at least a little bit.

Ane Doki, Wajima, Medaka and Kagijin can spend the rest of their lives in the bottom for all I care.

Xadyu
September 21, 2009, 07:00 AM
Reborn's getting an anime special this fall, but I doubt that is the reason since Naruto and Toriko also are getting an anime special at the same day.

But yeah.. four issues in a row? Not even Bleach pulled that off.

pandaaqueen
September 21, 2009, 07:04 AM
Happy because of Reborn! and Medaka, and sad due to Psyren's position, lol.

Well, as for Reborn!, the popularity poll results will come out next week, I guess.

Estranho
September 21, 2009, 08:11 AM
I can't see the future arc ending in 4 chapters, so I guess there'll be a movie or something

Negative Syndicate
September 21, 2009, 09:34 AM
At this rate, I think Medaka has very high chance to get axed along with Kagijin. Akaboshi has an essential element to increase the ranking, but I'm not sure Medaka has one. We will see how Medaka's ranking going to change when Huuki-Iin arc. starts to get ranked.

Also, looks like Death Note also had 4 straight weeks with colours like Reborn. Does anyone knows that Death Note got 4 colours because it has a big announcement, too? Or just because of popularity?

Drmke
September 21, 2009, 09:41 AM
Wow, four colors in a row...what has Reborn ever done to deserve that?...kinda pisses me off lol

But Akaboshi moves up a little and Psyren drops...mixed feeling going on here.

StrangerAtaru
September 21, 2009, 10:21 AM
Psyren's always been yo-yoing for most of it's existance so it's probably not going to be enough to get an anime this soon unless it keeps going consistantly. (compared to, say, Toriko/Mago) But somehow Akaboshi going somewhere could be nice potential.

And Reborn...I fear for it's "scoop" since...well, I think some of it's fanbase may make whatever "it" is end up being screwy. (whether it be movie or musical)

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe Reborn is switching magazines, the four color pages are the send off :tem

Probably not but that would be nice.

Siberia
September 21, 2009, 01:28 PM
switching magazines is the least likely reason....unless the mangaka is pregnant.

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
Mindless speculation on my part. Pay it no mind. I'm fully aware it won't switch magazines, just goofing off a little.

ruggia
September 21, 2009, 01:35 PM
I tried looking at the time when Death Note got 4 CP in a row..... but its a bit confusing.
first of, this source ->http://jump.heavy.jp/bv.htm
tells me that it got CP on 2005, issue 17~20.
but then, this source -> http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2005/jump0520.html
tells me DN was on hiatus for issue 17-19, because that was when the first arc ended (with L dying...spoiler :D) and on issue 20, Death Note came back with the second arc.

but this doesn't really make sense does it? Death Note was on hiatus for issue 17 ~ 19, but got color pages???????

also, it is also around the time Death Note was licensed to VIZ..... not that it would really matter to Japan.

so i don't know. maybe Reborn is going on hiatus too? :D
the future arc is far from being over though....

its probably something else.

Siberia
September 21, 2009, 01:52 PM
@ruggia, an interesting finding! Hoping someone would post more details about it.

[Cross]
September 21, 2009, 02:06 PM
People are speculating that it's a reborn movie, though is the anime really doing that well to warrant it? In any case, I'm crossing my fingers for a musical or live-action adaptation (cgi reborn ftw XD)

Negative Syndicate
September 21, 2009, 03:01 PM
If Akaboshi survives next round again, I hope the editors don't start new battle manga for a while. We already have enough battle manga, I think we don't need another one. I rather see another sport series or detective series.

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 03:10 PM
;1583800']People are speculating that it's a reborn movie, though is the anime really doing that well to warrant it? In any case, I'm crossing my fingers for a musical or live-action adaptation (cgi reborn ftw XD)

Poor ratings have never stopped the anime industry! Not that I'm sure Reborn has low ratings by morning anime standards. DVD sales are around the same as Bleach. An animated movie sounds reasonable.

wingman32x
September 21, 2009, 03:28 PM
Bad news for Ane Doki this week, huh? I was kind of dissapointed to see it in the bottom 5 again, but I think it's safe for now though. Also, judging by this week's chapter, the plot seems to have started to take off, so I think that will help the rankings. After the money issue was resolved, Ane Doki pretty much went into mindless ecchi for about 5-6 chapters, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't do too well from here on out.

Xadyu
September 21, 2009, 04:21 PM
I can't remember Death Note having 4 color pages in a row.. but then again, I can't remember Death Note being on hiatus for 4 weeks either, haha.

A Reborn! Movie adaption indeed sounds reasonable.

By the way, did they even announce the Reborn! anime special in the manga?

Crude
September 21, 2009, 04:25 PM
I'm really hoping for a Reborn! movie. I mean it's past 140 episodes already...

Akainu
September 21, 2009, 04:47 PM
Oh come on, not even a movie could justify four consecutive weeks of colourpages :blink that's extremly abnormal imo (not even Naruto, One Piece or the likes got that once, right?) IF it'll happen at all ...

Koen
September 21, 2009, 05:02 PM
I agree with akainu, a movie couldn't jusitfy this row of CP. It is extremely abnormal and I am even wondering if information of 4 issues can justify this. So there's different possibilities:
- a movie? well it is a first movie but is the anime and manga as popular as bleach, naruto and one piece to have an own movie? Well the anime is still ongoing, I won't say: surely no. You never know that those CP might be CP of some movie shots, char designs, etc
- the end? Highly unlikely. If WSJ would get this into its head then I am going to dig my grave, lie in a coffin and come out ten years later

My guess: I think it will be storylike. I have always believed that to win against the millefiore, the vongola should change to their future selves (with some technology, don't forget Irie preserved their bodies). So I wouldn't be surprised if the mangaka will decide for an indefinite goodbye to the younger vongola. Maybe, Reborn will enter a new stage. A new stage doesn't necessarily come with an arc's end. It would be refreshing to switch the younger with the older ones. Some cool CP to promote all this sudden change

So whereas gaiden introduced a new stage in naruto. These row of CP might introduce a new stage in reborn (maybe mukuro's appearance was a prelude of this)

Koshi_Inaba
September 21, 2009, 05:23 PM
A movie is not impossible, there are manga outside Jump who sold less than Reborn and got a movie such as Inu Yasha. Any magazine would want to have a hit like Reborn and turn it into a movie. Reborn may not be as popular as Bleach, OP, Hunter or Naruto, but if you look outside Jump, there are few shonen manga outside Jump that outsold it. It sold arround 500-600k, an amazing sale by any standard.

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
Oh come on, not even a movie could justify four consecutive weeks of colourpages :blink that's extremly abnormal imo (not even Naruto, One Piece or the likes got that once, right?) IF it'll happen at all ...

Not so sure justify is the word I'd use. I've been wondering what reason the editors could find to give one series color pages in every issue for a month after a "big announcement" of some sort. An upcoming movie is the only announcement I can think of that I can back up with an empirical, or at the least educated, guess. Even the end of the Future arc hardly seems worthy of four color pages. I feel like the only thing big enough to justify it is if they are planning to move it to SQ in December or January. While not far fetched, plenty of popular manga have switched magazines, there's no way for me to argue it is anything other than a wild guess, probably an incorrect one. Most likely something more mundane will be announced; end of the arc, movie, major plot development, or the editors just like Akira - sensei.

Crude
September 21, 2009, 06:07 PM
Maybe it's not just one announcement but many. As in there might be a movie plus something else.

BBB Banana
September 21, 2009, 06:11 PM
If Reborn moves to another magazine it's going to save another botom series LOL if this happens it will be asecond time in two months.

Negative Syndicate
September 21, 2009, 07:09 PM
There isn't lots of reviews from Hokenshitsu and no reviews what so ever from Lilienthal. Even there aren't any translation/scanlation of Hokenshitsu and Lilienthal. I know it is too early to judge both new series, but I want to know how people think about them.

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 07:11 PM
Without a script I have no opinion. I'd like to read both, particularly Rilienthal.

Mr. Prince
September 21, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm really diggin' Lilienthal [sorry, it's a name in my mother tongue and I just don't have the heart to write "Rilienthal" even though the author romanized it that way...it's f'ugly lol]...it's pretty funny, quite wacky and the art style is very refreshing (well, mainly the dog's design that is).

If it weren't for several weeks old TLs I'm lagging behind and still didn't find the time to tackle, it'd be a candidate to translate...but right now I can't afford it.

As for Hokenshitsu, the OS wasn't really my cup of tea, so I didn't check it out yet...

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 08:08 PM
Now I really want to read it :( **wishes he could read Japanese**

If anyone can TL let me know, I'd love to scanlate it!

Negative Syndicate
September 21, 2009, 08:29 PM
I'm really diggin' Lilienthal [sorry, it's a name in my mother tongue and I just don't have the heart to write "Rilienthal" even though the author romanized it that way...it's f'ugly lol]...it's pretty funny, quite wacky and the art style is very refreshing (well, mainly the dog's design that is).

If it weren't for several weeks old TLs I'm lagging behind and still didn't find the time to tackle, it'd be a candidate to translate...but right now I can't afford it.

As for Hokenshitsu, the OS wasn't really my cup of tea, so I didn't check it out yet...

You should try Hokenshitsu. It is way better than one shot.

And I agree with you about Lilienthal, it is pretty funny.

Galactic Tomahawk
September 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
Both of them seem pretty good.

Hoping at least one succeeds.

RomanDogBird
September 21, 2009, 11:43 PM
Official translations of the first chapters of both Hokenshitsu and Rilenthal are available through Shonen Jump's website. You have to download a "manga browser" to view them, though it's nothing too complicated. I don't know how long they were up (I only just discovered the site last month), but the first chapters of Ane-Doki, Kagijin, and Wajimania were all up as well for awhile (I guess they were added shortly after they each officially debuted in Jump).

http://shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/index.html

[Cross]
September 21, 2009, 11:49 PM
Official translations of the first chapters of both Hokenshitsu and Rilenthal are available through Shonen Jump's website. You have to download a "manga browser" to view them, though it's nothing too complicated. I don't know how long they were up (I only just discovered the site last month), but the first chapters of Ane-Doki, Kagijin, and Wajimania were all up as well for awhile (I guess they were added shortly after they each officially debuted in Jump).

http://shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/index.html

You're right...how silly of us to not realize this, thanks. I'm gonna go readin'

Kaiten
September 21, 2009, 11:52 PM
Completely forgot they do that :facepalm

ruggia
September 22, 2009, 01:56 AM
I liked Lilienthal, not for comedy or gag, but just for the story and characters (weird right?) it was pretty amusing.

Hokenshitsu is not bad. It's been doing pretty good with introducig characters, and new characters have been pretty likeableb or interesting at least. But not sure how it will compete with others. It needs something more solid in my opinion, but it is off with a good start I think.

Wow... Is Jump gonna be the one scanlating this series?

Kaiten
September 22, 2009, 02:57 AM
At least for a few chapters. They've been posting translated versions of new series for a while now, on a rotating basis. I'm not sure how many chapters they will do but it won't be the whole series.

Negative Syndicate
September 22, 2009, 02:45 PM
For people who are interested:

56歳  秋本治(こち亀)
46歳  大場つぐみ(ガモウ)
43歳  冨樫義博(ハンタ)
40歳  小畑健(バクマン)
36歳  天野明(リボーン)
35歳  篠原健太(スケットダンス) 
35歳  うすた京介(ジャガー)
34歳  岸本斉史(ナルト)
34歳  尾田栄一郎(ワンピ)
34歳  島袋光年(トリコ)
32歳  久保帯人(ブリーチ)
32歳  暁月あきら(めだかボックス)
31歳  岩代俊明(サイレン)
30歳  空知英秋(銀魂)
29歳  田村隆平(べるぜバブ)
29歳  椎橋寛(ぬらりひょんの孫)
28歳  葦原大介(リリエンタール)
28歳  天野洋一(AKABOSHI)
27歳  藤巻忠俊(黒子のバスケ)
27歳  大石浩二(いぬまるだし)
26歳  田中靖規(鍵人)
23歳  わじまさとし(わじマニア)
21歳  藍本松(保健室の死神)

Akimoto Osamu (KochiKame) 56 years old
Ohba Tsugumi (Bakuman) 46 years old (if he is Gamou Hiroshi)
Kawashita Mizuki (Ane Dokii) 44 years old
Togashi Yoshihiro (HunterxHunter) 43 years old
Obata Takeshi (Bakuman) 40 years old
Amano Akira (Reborn!) 36 years old
Shinohara Kenta (Sket Dance) 35 years old
Usuta Kyousuke (Jaguar) 35 years old
Kishimoto Masashi (Naruto) 34 years old
Oda Eiichiro (One Piece) 34 years old
Shimabukuro Mitsutoshi (Toriko) 34 years old
Kubo Tite (Bleach) 32 years old
Akatsuki Akira (Medaka Box) 32 years old
Iwashiro Toshiaki (Psyren) 31 years old
Sorachi Hideaki (Gintama) 30 years old
Tamura Ryuuhei (Beelzebub) 29 years old
Shiibashi Hiroshi (Nuraruhyon no Mago) 29 years old
Ashihara Daisuke (Lilienthal) 28 years old
Amano Youichi (Akaboshi) 28 years old
Nisio Isin (Medaka Box) 28 or 27 years old
Fujimaki Tadatoshi (Kuroko no Basket) 27 years old
Ooishi Kouji (Inumaru Dashi) 27 years old
Tanaka Yasuki (Kagijin) 26 years old
Wajima Satoshi (Wajimania) 23 years old
Aimoto Shou (Hokenshitsu) 21 years old

ruggia
September 22, 2009, 02:54 PM
The Death Note and Bakuman pair are a lot older than I thought.
I expected the artist to be in his 30s along with the mangakas of Big 3...

Oda is still pretty young :p

BBB Banana
September 22, 2009, 03:12 PM
Funny sket's author is older than Sorachi I spected him to be younger since assistants usually are younger than their "bosses". What did he felt while working with a younger serialised artist. This reminds me of Nakai from Bakuman.

[Cross]
September 22, 2009, 03:21 PM
What the, some of the big hit authors are pretty young, wow. Except for Togashi, what the hell is he doing playing dragon quest at 43 years old.

BBB Banana
September 22, 2009, 04:49 PM
;1585931']What the, some of the big hit authors are pretty young, wow. Except for Togashi, what the hell is he doing playing dragon quest at 43 years old.

People say he has a mental disease.

Xadyu
September 22, 2009, 05:04 PM
People say he has a mental disease.

That's what people always said I had when I stopped working so I could play games all day.

But anyway, he's not playing Monster Hunter, unless he's a fucking noob at those kind of games, I mean.. come on, he should've finished the game ages ago.

Crude
September 22, 2009, 05:20 PM
I'm amazed at how young Aimoto Sho is. He's about as old as Neuro's author.

Rejuvenation
September 22, 2009, 05:32 PM
I always thought Amano would be in her mid 20s or something. That is a surprise. Ohba is a bit older than I originally thought as well.

BBB Banana
September 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
There's no one with less than 20 years so I guess young genius like the guys from bakuman only exist in manga LOL.

Negative Syndicate
September 22, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm amazed at how young Aimoto Sho is. He's about as old as Neuro's author.

Actually, Matsui (the author of Neuro) is 30 years old. Plus Aimoto is female mangaka, not male.

StrangerAtaru
September 22, 2009, 05:50 PM
Funny sket's author is older than Sorachi I spected him to be younger since assistants usually are younger than their "bosses". What did he felt while working with a younger serialised artist. This reminds me of Nakai from Bakuman.

Yeah, I remember hearing somewhere when Sket started that the author was older than the one he formerly assisted (Sorachi). Though I'm a bit surprise that Kishi is actually a bit older than Oda...or that Kubo was literally 22 when Zombie Powder came out.

BBB Banana
September 22, 2009, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I remember hearing somewhere when Sket started that the author was older than the one he formerly assisted (Sorachi). Though I'm a bit surprise that Kishi is actually a bit older than Oda...or that Kubo was literally 22 when Zombie Powder came out.

You can clearly see that sket dance is in some ways similar to Gintama at least the freelancer status of the main cast.

Kaiten
September 22, 2009, 09:55 PM
I was surprised to see that Kawashita is 44 until I remembered that she has been serialized in Jump for nine years and Margaret before that. Obata's age didn't surprise me; he's been around so long his assistants and their assistants have had hits.

Ramza
September 23, 2009, 01:09 AM
Live-action adaption is ..... impossible.
They can't be doing it for reaching 300th chapter. Same goes for movie.
Maybe it won an award? (very unlikely :P)
I guess we will have to wait for the "scoop".

Whatever the case, the mangaka is making huge money with all those colors.
hey guys, remember the negima live action?

Xadyu
September 23, 2009, 01:35 AM
There's no one with less than 20 years so I guess young genius like the guys from bakuman only exist in manga LOL.

Indeed, here in real life, most of them just have one-shots at that age and get work as assistants. I remember Oda being 17/18 at the time he made his first serialized one-shot, then he got work as an assistant for Rurouni Kenshin's mangaka, while producing Romance Dawn twice, then, when he was 22 he was serialized with One Piece.

So it took him a bit longer then the Bakuman-pair, but well, if Bakuman had them kind of tempo, people wouldn't read it anymore, haha.

ruggia
September 23, 2009, 01:36 AM
hey guys, remember the negima live action?

Let's not even go there.....
Did Negima live action actually have magic?

Wasn't Oda in his very early 20s when OP came out?
Amazing how he got a massive hit that early

Xadyu
September 23, 2009, 06:08 AM
Wasn't Oda in his very early 20s when OP came out?
Amazing how he got a massive hit that early

I actually just said that, during his oneshots he was 17 and 19 year old, when One Piece was serialized he was 22.

Negative Syndicate
September 23, 2009, 07:00 AM
掲載順
ブリーチ(表紙&巻頭)
ワンピ
ナルト
銀玉
リボン
犬っ
スケット
トリコ(C)

黒子(C)
保険
べるぜ
バクマン
ぬらり
赤星
わじま
あねどきっ
サイレン
めだか
鍵人
ジャガー

Issue 44
Bleach (Cover, Colour Page)
One Piece
Naruto
Gintama
Reborn
Inumaru
Sket Dance
Toriko (Colour Page)
Lilienthal
KochiKame
Kuroko (Colour Page)
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Beelzebub
Bakuman
Nurarihyon no Mago
Akaboshi
Wajimania
Ane Dokii
Psyren
Medaka Box
Kagijin
Jaguar

Issue 45
Reborn (Cover, Colour Page)
Psyren, Ane Dokii (Colour Page)

Estranho
September 23, 2009, 07:09 AM
I guess you change Inumaru and Lilienthal...

Siberia
September 23, 2009, 07:13 AM
Akaboshi is doing quite well this week ^^

ruggia
September 23, 2009, 08:04 AM
Hmm.... A bit boring.
Lots of Gag and comedy series on the top 10...(Inumaru and Kochi are doing so well these days. Makes me wonder if they are real)

YEY for two dogs in ToC :p

Xadyu
September 23, 2009, 08:42 AM
Besides Lilienthal.. who's the other one?

ruggia
September 23, 2009, 08:48 AM
Inumaru dashi.
They should change Lilienthal to something else since it can get confusing.
But it IS so much fun seeing two dogs :D

Crude
September 23, 2009, 09:20 AM
Nice to see Akaboshi doing well. It seems the Japanese also agree that it's gotten better. Hope Hokenshitsu does well in the TOC.