PDA

View Full Version : Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30

Ilcm26
October 04, 2009, 12:40 AM
Im in Japan right now, so yeah its a japanese bookstore =P

They had a bunch o akaboshi, and i think they order the same quantity for both medaka and akaboshi.

And the bookstore is in a pretty faraway place, so i think probably the bookstores in the city doesnt have anymore medaka either.

I think the fan service and Ishin's name are helping a lot with the sales.

PS: Vc me conhece Estranho, eu sou o Igor, da comunidade Toc do Orkut.

Kaiten
October 04, 2009, 12:45 AM
Im in Japan right now, so yeah its a japanese bookstore =P

lol. Yeah, I saw the Brazilian flag and just figured >///<

Yeah, Ishin and fanservice seem like they can sell a lot. Bakemonogatari is charting again since the anime started. Plus Medaka seems like it would appeal to a lot of people who don't buy Jump.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 11:00 AM
290 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/10/05(月) 00:54:28 ID:Pdwnf+wD0
小ネタ
・46ドベ6 鍵、赤、黒、姉、爆、め
・47巻頭爆 C黒25p、リボ

Issue 46 Bottom 6
Medaka
Bakuman
Ane Dokii
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Issue 47
Lead CP: Bakuman
CP: Kuroko (25 pages), Reborn

Kaiten
October 04, 2009, 11:02 AM
Ane - Doki in the bottom five, not happy :(

Anyone have any idea what this weeks Reborn announcement will be?

pandaaqueen
October 04, 2009, 11:05 AM
Another CP for Kuroko? LOL

The reason is most likely the fact that its position is not very high again :lmao

ruggia
October 04, 2009, 11:06 AM
ouch Ane Doki and Bakuman.
i'm surprised Medaka went up (at least its not in bottom 5,....). and seems like Akaboshi and Kagijin is stuck in that spot.

looking forward to Bakuman cover.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 11:54 AM
In honest, it isn't weird that Medaka and Akaboshi got axed within chapter 17~19 or in previous round of cancellation, based on their ranking. I really don't know what's the editors mind about these two series. Are they saving both series for next round or are both series increased the ranking on recent chapters?

Also, which one is more danger on next round, Medaka (has better ranking than Akaboshi) or Akaboshi (according ro jbook, higher tank sells than Medaka)?

kewl0210
October 04, 2009, 11:54 AM
Bakuman's in the bottom five this week, but next week it's #1. Isn't that strange...
Really is a yo-yo series, don't you think.
Kagijin and Akaboshi still at the bottom. Kuroko's varied but it's generally been low.

ruggia
October 04, 2009, 12:03 PM
In honest, it isn't weird that Medaka and Akaboshi got axed within chapter 17~19 or in previous round of cancellation, based on their ranking. I really don't know what's the editors mind about these two series. Are they saving both series for next round or are both series increased the ranking on recent chapters?

Also, which one is more danger on next round, Medaka (has better ranking than Akaboshi) or Akaboshi (according ro jbook, higher tank sells than Medaka)?

well TLR ended, and D.Gray moved out, so I think they were just lucky (and I thought MB and Akaboshi didn't go through cancellation season yet)

for the one in most danger, i say Akaboshi. its rank is worse, and MB has the "famous author" boost. i think WSJ will prefer sticking to MB longer to get as much as they can from the author's name.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 12:15 PM
well TLR ended, and D.Gray moved out, so I think they were just lucky (and I thought MB and Akaboshi didn't go through cancellation season yet)

for the one in most danger, i say Akaboshi. its rank is worse, and MB has the "famous author" boost. i think WSJ will prefer sticking to MB longer to get as much as they can from the author's name.

I think famous author's name doesn't help Medaka to survive. There has been other famous magakas had axed after their success of previous works, like Watsuki, Nishi, Takei, Fujisaki, Tsunomaru, etc. Even the author is famous, if they didn't do well on next work, they'll get axed, not matter what, and I think this goes same to Nisio. Nisio is indeed famous light novelist, but it is his first manga and base on ranking, he's not doing very good.

Only thing Medaka has upper hand against Akaboshi is ranking. But the tank sales, based on Jbook, Akaboshi is higher than Medaka.

Drmke
October 04, 2009, 12:49 PM
Akaboshi is low again....dammit. And Kuroko gets yet another color as it goes back into the bottom 5....way too much pimping.

ruggia
October 04, 2009, 12:51 PM
I think famous author's name doesn't help Medaka to survive. There has been other famous magakas had axed after their success of previous works, like Watsuki, Nishi, Takei, Fujisaki, Tsunomaru, etc. Even the author is famous, if they didn't do well on next work, they'll get axed, not matter what, and I think this goes same to Nisio. Nisio is indeed famous light novelist, but it is his first manga and base on ranking, he's not doing very good.

but if two mangas with fairly similar condition are on the line for cancellation, which does WSJ prefer; one by a famous author, or one by not-so-famous one?
i know "famous" tag doesn't guarantee prolonged serialization, but isn't it a plus if its being compared to a one by an unknown author, especially since both are in a pretty bad situation?

and I don't think Akaboshi will be sales high enough to cover for anything.

i think its most likely for both of them being canceled, along with Kagijin.

SameOld
October 04, 2009, 01:12 PM
Something tells me Medaka's sales will be astronomically high and the thought of cancelling it won't even cross the editors' heads. As for Akaboshi, unfortunately, I don't see how it could be saved at this point. I'm prepared for the worst.

On-topic: screw Kuroko.

KuwabaraTheMan
October 04, 2009, 01:12 PM
:( @ Kuroko dropping back down. At least it has color pages the following week, though. And it's selling decently enough that it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

StrangerAtaru
October 04, 2009, 01:18 PM
I think at the rate things are going, Kuroko will make a year but we'll see from there. It's still a good start for a new mangaka to make a year and things will hopefully move from there but there is still the problem regarding sports series...but heck, I've come to the realization that it's not really for Jump anyway and we're probably not getting the next "Daiya no Ace" or "Cross Game" any time soon in this magazine.

Not really too much more to say...though I sort of just gave up figuring out logic regarding Reborn's colors this month excpet what they themselves said: it's "Ten month" being October.

coinanmat
October 04, 2009, 01:20 PM
Bakuman's in the bottom five this week, but next week it's #1. Isn't that strange...
Really is a yo-yo series, don't you think.
Kagijin and Akaboshi still at the bottom. Kuroko's varied but it's generally been low.

That is wierd, why would that happen? And Its no suprise to me that Kagijin and Akaboshi are at the bottom.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 01:24 PM
Something tells me Medaka's sales will be astronomically high and the thought of cancelling it won't even cross the editors' heads. As for Akaboshi, unfortunately, I don't see how it could be saved at this point. I'm prepared for the worst.

On-topic: screw Kuroko.

Where did you get the information about Medaka's tank sales, from jbook or other place?

Drmke
October 04, 2009, 01:37 PM
Where did you get the information about Medaka's tank sales, from jbook or other place?

He said "something tells me", which basically just means he thinks it will be very high.

Mr. Prince
October 04, 2009, 01:42 PM
As for the Jbook charts...when I checked the rankings this morning (5 am, my time zone) Medaka was charting above Akaboshi. Constantly.
By now, Medaka doesn't even make the top 50 at Jbook...if I were to draw a conclusion from it, I'd say Medaka's first printing is sold out.

jose
October 04, 2009, 02:40 PM
it's not only kuroko they are trying to pimp, ane doki too.

Drmke
October 04, 2009, 02:45 PM
it's not only kuroko they are trying to pimp, ane doki too.

Ane Doki has only gotten one extra color so far and it was received farely well early on, and it is by a popular author so I wouldn't say its being pimped yet.

Koen
October 04, 2009, 02:55 PM
Akaboshi's role might depend from Shingami's role. When Shinigami will be rated then a new round of axes will start. Akaboshi might be in a siilar situation psyren had. Psyren had awful positions too when it had the same amount of chapters like akaboshi. Kagijin is a certain axe and if shinigami will be a new muddy then akaboshi might be safe because it has a second cushion.

I don't believe that Jump would kill three battle (I count shinigami as one too) mangas in one row.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 03:01 PM
Akaboshi's role might depend from Shingami's role. When Shinigami will be rated then a new round of axes will start. Akaboshi might be in a siilar situation psyren had. Psyren had awful positions too when it had the same amount of chapters like akaboshi. Kagijin is a certain axe and if shinigami will be a new muddy then akaboshi might be safe because it has a second cushion.

I don't believe that Jump would kill three battle (I count shinigami as one too) mangas in one row.

I agree with you, too. The ranking of new series might change Akaboshi's fate. As far, in my opinion, both Hokenshitsu and Lilienthal didn't get worse from chapter 1, but it didn't get better either. I'm not sure how Lilienthal going to do on ranking, but I feel like Hokenshitsu might fall into the bottom 5 when it started to get rank.

ruggia
October 04, 2009, 03:11 PM

but shinigami doesn't have any sign of battles at all. its more like school-life/supernatural/comedy (although i don't see much comedy in it)

but i then again, don't really shinigami doing well on Jump so it could become a cushion.

Rejuvenation
October 04, 2009, 03:37 PM
Issue 46 Bottom 6
Medaka
Bakuman
Ane Dokii
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Issue 47
Lead CP: Bakuman
CP: Kuroko (25 pages), Reborn

Medaka just barely made it out of the Bottom 5 again. That is good and if it can manage that for a few more weeks along with good sales it should be fine.

Ane Doki in the bottom again though it has 3 series under it. Hopefully Kawashita can think of something so this one can last longer than Hatsukoi.

Kagijin is beyond saving and it doesn't look good for Akaboshi either.

@Bold

Kuroko is back where it belongs but god damn it, every time it falls in the bottom 5 Jump just has to give it a color page the next week. If something has this much color but still can barely go a month without being in the bottom they should take the hint.

It gets more color than almost everything else but still performs worse than series with half the amount of color.

KuwabaraTheMan
October 04, 2009, 04:20 PM
@Bold

Kuroko is back where it belongs but god damn it, every time it falls in the bottom 5 Jump just has to give it a color page the next week. If something has this much color but still can barely go a month without being in the bottom they should take the hint.

It gets more color than almost everything else but still performs worse than series with half the amount of color.

You're ignoring the fact that it sells well in collected form. Kuroko has passed the point where it's rankings are the ultimate factor in deciding its fate. Yes, it's getting a lot of color pages, but it's also established itself as a hit, so it makes sense that Jump would reward it.

Drmke
October 04, 2009, 04:44 PM
You're ignoring the fact that it sells well in collected form. Kuroko has passed the point where it's rankings are the ultimate factor in deciding its fate. Yes, it's getting a lot of color pages, but it's also established itself as a hit, so it makes sense that Jump would reward it.

Its not so much that its getting color that bothers me and some other people, its the number of colors its getting. This will be the 8th color this year. That's more than series that consistently do much better in both sales and the ToC.

Two series that do better, Mago and Bakuman, have yet to see that kind of extremem support. Mago has gotten 3 colors while Bakuman will be getting its 5th. Both easily beat Kuroko but Kuroko gets nearly twice the amount of color pages. It seems like obvious pimping that I think is do to it being the only sports left and they want its popularity up fast.

Even with all that said, though, I still think it would have survived on its own even without all this unfair treatment.

SameOld
October 04, 2009, 04:49 PM

You make it sound far better than it actually is. Kuroko is still the third worst seller in the mag, despite being relatively new. Its sales are increasing, sure, but it's still far, FAR from being out of danger like, say, Mago is. If 60,000 copies per volume was a safe number, the Sket Dance fans would have stopped worrying about its safety a long time ago.

Rejuvenation
October 04, 2009, 04:50 PM

Other series sell just as much as Kuroko if not more yet none of them have 10 colors this year. For all the color they have thrown its way I sure as hell would hope that the thing would at least manage 50K. It would be utterly laughable if it hadn't broken that point despite all the color whoring.

Also this is not rewarding it. The last 3 times Kuroko has had a color page was because it had hit the bottom 5 the week before. In the case of July, it spent the whole month there even plummeting so far to where it was in the last spot of the mag next to Jaguar. Yet it still got color the first week of August.

If its rankings were less of a factor it wouldn't be getting color after getting a bottom 5 ranking more than once.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm starting think that Medaka and Akaboshi are low not because of they are not good, I think there isn't enough space for them.

Remeber that 2008 is very successful year for Jump (Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Bakuman, and Inumaru), there is just not enough space for 2009 series, like every 2009 series in Jump dropped bottom 5 at least twice. Also, three old series has finised and one series move to different magazine to make more space for 2009 series.

In order for these to escape from bottom 5, at lease one of older series has to go bottom 5. However, all of the old series already created their solid fanbase that they'll most llikely to vote their favourite series, so it is unlikely they'll push down to bottom 5. In conclusion, there is just not eough space for 2009 series.

Rejuvenation
October 04, 2009, 05:00 PM
Even worse that we are approaching 2010 as well. Those series will have it rough too. The only other older series that even looks like it will end is Naruto and that is still at least a year off at the absolute minimum if not two or more.

Drmke
October 04, 2009, 05:04 PM
New series have really always had it rough. Unless one can gain popularity almost immediately, they will fail. Even the worse off ones like Psyren and Sket Dance still didn't do that bad during their early stages.

2008 was the same. Those series just gained more popularity than other years like '07 and '09. Plently that year failed as well. The name of the game is whether or not a series can survive long enough for something else to fail.

wingman32x
October 04, 2009, 05:10 PM
Well, Ane Doki's in the bottom 5...again. This sucks. I kind of expected it because chapters 4-10 were all ecchi and very little plot imo. Good news is that it gets so much better starting from chapter 11, so lets hope it hits the middle at least twice during those ecchi chapters.

Kaiten
October 04, 2009, 05:57 PM
Despite the bottom five finish, Kuroko is doing well. Volume sales keep increasing, in the same manner that Mago's kept increasing. While sports series seem to have a lower ceiling Kuroko seems to be on track to be a hit. Bottom five doesn't mean much to me; Beelzebub and Bakuman yo - yo between the middle and bottom just as often. If Jump wants to promote their only sports series more power to them.

Negative Syndicate
October 04, 2009, 06:01 PM
New series have really always had it rough. Unless one can gain popularity almost immediately, they will fail. Even the worse off ones like Psyren and Sket Dance still didn't do that bad during their early stages.

2008 was the same. Those series just gained more popularity than other years like '07 and '09. Plently that year failed as well. The name of the game is whether or not a series can survive long enough for something else to fail.

I think Psyren and Sket Dance are safe because there isn't much considerable hits during 2005~2007 to threat Sket's and Psyren's place.

2005 hit=Neuro
2006 hit=To Love-Ru, Mx0
2007 hit=Sket Dance, Hatsukoi

Comapre to 2004 and 2008, the 2005~2007 series don't have lots of series to keep, so there is lots of space for newer series to came in. Also in winter of 2004, a massive year for Jump, there was no series got axed and one new series came in.

Kaiten
October 04, 2009, 06:14 PM
The new series have been helped by the number of established series that ended or moved over the last two years. Prince of Tennis and D. Gray Man switching to SQ, Muhyo to Rojii, Eyeshield, Neuro, Mx0, and To Love Ru ending. 2004 and 2005 were similar; Buso Renkin, Ichigo 100%, Black Cat, and Shaman King all came to end during that time. Every one of those series ended in place of a new series.

pandaaqueen
October 05, 2009, 07:04 AM
#47 (19/10) :
One Piece (Absent)

Updated preview :I

TitaniumChloride
October 05, 2009, 07:22 AM
^ Darn. Well, at least the odd One Piece breaks will stop after the Strong World movie is done right?

Negative Syndicate
October 05, 2009, 08:48 AM
I'm beginning to feel wonder why Medaka is not in the ranking of Jbook for about two days, while Akaboshi still able to hang up on top 50.

Is Medaka's first stock ard sold out or is below top 50?

Also, does anyone knows if first stock is sold, how long does it take to get another stock?

Josl
October 05, 2009, 08:49 AM
^ Darn. Well, at least the odd One Piece breaks will stop after the Strong World movie is done right?

I wouldn't be so sure. He has now a daughter and this is his usual workflow:
Oda-sensei's workflow for a week:

Monday - Comic creation

Tuesday - Comic creation -> Finishing manuscript!

Wednesday - Staff meeting (usually by phone), Color illustrations, Anime related things, etc.

Thursday - Color illustrations, Anime related things, etc.

Friday - Sketches, Arrival of assistants ("I make them come early so that I get into a situation where I can't escape. (laugh)" --Oda-sensei)

Saturday - Sketches

Sunday - Comic creation

Edit:
Is Medaka's first stock ard sold out or is below top 50

If something is sold out on Amazon it usually is signalised somewhere. I don't know how it is like on jbook but shouldn't it be also somewhere signalised?

Bomber D Rufi
October 05, 2009, 09:50 PM
Updated preview :I

Well...that only means that OP is going to have something major happen this week. Breaks tend to happen after major plot points, so I can't wait to see what's gonna happen! ^^

Negative Syndicate
October 06, 2009, 06:01 AM
ナルト(表紙&巻頭)

ワンピ
銀玉
スケット
いぬっ
べるぜ
リボン(C)

トリコ
保険
サイレン
ぬらり
わじま
いぬ
めだか
バクマン
あねっ
黒子
赤星
鍵人
ジャガー

Naruto (Cover & Colour Page)
Bleach
One Piece
Gintama
Sket Dance
Inumaru
Beelzebub
Reborn (Colour Page)
Kochikame
Toriko
Hokenshitsu
Psyren
Nurarihyon
Wajimania
Lilienthal
Medaka
Bakuman
Ane Dokii
Kuroko
Akaboshi
Kagijin
Jaguar

Googlez_kun
October 06, 2009, 07:48 AM
Bleach over OP?
either the one piece chapter was terrible or that was some editor action...

Rejuvenation
October 06, 2009, 07:51 AM
Bleach beats One Piece? That is just so wrong. At least Naruto is more understandable when it happens.

Nice to see Sket in the top 5 and Beelzebub is in a pretty nice spot at 6. Toriko, Psyren, and Mago following behind it.

Only 2 more weeks for Shinigami to be ranked. Will we have fodder or a potential hit? I'm still leaning towards the former.

I'm happy Medaka escaped the bottom 5 but Ane Doki being there is bitter sweet.

SameOld
October 06, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hmm... Lilienthal at 15/22, three weeks before being officially ranked... I smell a Hoop Men. Houkenshitsu doesn't give any early signs of tanking, but we never know. And... WAIT WAIT WAIT, Bleach is above OP? How many centuries has it been since that last happened?

ruggia
October 06, 2009, 09:23 AM
Lilienthal is dropping pretty quick... hmm well, I guess it might not mean anything if we look at how Waji dropped at first but now, seem to be in the low-middle range. I really wonder what the WSJ want with Lilienthal and Waji.

Psyren is in a good place, so I'm happy :)

and what is up with OP. First Naruto, then Bleach. Strange circumstances.

Negative Syndicate
October 06, 2009, 09:28 AM
I have no idea how Hokenshitus and Lilienthal will be do after they started to get ranked. It didn't got worse since chapter 1, but I, personally, think didn't got better either.

Also, looks like everyone is shocked about Bleach beating One Piece, so I checked which chapter are ranked for both.

Bleach=Chapter 370 (conclusion of vs. Barragan)
One Piece=Chapter 553 (beginning of WB Pirate and his alliance pirates vs. Marine and Shichibukai)

Kaiten
October 06, 2009, 10:06 AM
I don't think it's fair to judge Lilienthal considering it is unranked.

How come the TOC is out so early?

[Cross]
October 06, 2009, 10:12 AM
Bleach=Chapter 370 (conclusion of vs. Barragan)
One Piece=Chapter 553 (beginning of WB Pirate and his alliance pirates vs. Marine and Shichibukai)

Could this foreshadow something? Could Japan just not care about the war? The conclusion vs Barragan was pretty decent, but still...

Kaiten
October 06, 2009, 10:27 AM
Maybe Japan doesn't like 4 double page splashes per chapter and no dialog? I'd expect One Piece down, second or third, for a few weeks. Those were not great chapters. By the end of the Barragan fight Bleach had recovered a lot of the attitude it lost when Hueco Mundo/Vaizard Gaiden ended. Maybe not deserving of first place, but for a week Naruto gets placed, Bleach deserved first over OP.

Crude
October 06, 2009, 10:55 AM
I know I didn't like all those double pages. OP tried to hard to be epic, despite being epic already.

Xadyu
October 06, 2009, 11:30 AM
So, taking away unranked chapters and Jaguar, the exact ranking is:

01. Bleach
02. One Piece
03. Gintama
04. Sket Dance
05. Inumaru Dashi
06. Beelzebub
07. Kochikame
08. Toriko
09. Psyren
10. Nurarihyon no Mago
11. Wasshoi! Waji Mania
12. Medaka Box
13. Bakuman
14. Ane Doki
15. Kuroko no Basket
16. Akaboshi
17. Kagijin

kewl0210
October 06, 2009, 12:08 PM
Kochikame is usually considered unrakned for some reason... not that it makes a big difference. Though it's pretty high this week. I think the drama is ending... or something.

It's nice to see Beelzebub up high again, since it's been yo-yoing though it's not a big surprise.
Unusual to see Sket Dance so high, too.
Gintama has been doing well recently after being near the bottom for a while.

I think I might just scan the Inumaru Dashi volumes myself, because that Noodleman isn't doing it... Then I'll try to translate them at some rate, once I get a couple other things done... Course I probably won't be up to scanning them till then anyway.

Also, Jump comes out on Saturday this week, which it sometimes does. So that's why spoilers and TOCs are coming out a day early, everything's pushed back.

Googlez_kun
October 06, 2009, 12:11 PM
I think I might just scan the Inumaru Dashi volumes myself, because that Noodleman isn't doing it... Then I'll try to translate them at some rate, once I get a couple other things done... Course I probably won't be up to scanning them till then anyway.

Also, Jump comes out on Saturday this week, which it sometimes does. So that's why spoilers and TOCs are coming out a day early, everything's pushed back.

that would be really great!!a lot of the members here(including me) would really appreciate it!:)

so the raw comes out earlier as well?

Rejuvenation
October 06, 2009, 12:51 PM
Kochikame is usually considered unrakned for some reason... not that it makes a big difference. Though it's pretty high this week. I think the drama is ending... or something.

It has been around so long its ranking won't really matter. It is pretty much in the same boat as Jaguar so it may as well be unranked.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 06, 2009, 01:05 PM
Bleach over One Piece doesn't actually mean the chapter got better ratings.

jose
October 06, 2009, 01:15 PM
One of the best tocs of the year.

The only thing strange is bleach above onepiece.
And the only thing i swicth is bakuman with wajimania, because the rest of b5 is perfect.

KuwabaraTheMan
October 06, 2009, 01:21 PM
;1611889']Could this foreshadow something? Could Japan just not care about the war? The conclusion vs Barragan was pretty decent, but still...

Eh, it doesn't really mean that. At least, not necessarily. It could have just been that a lot of Bleach fans who haven't been too happy with the manga lately enjoyed that chapter and voted for it. There's nothing to suggest that readers aren't happy with the current One Piece chapters.

There's nothing really strange about One Piece being 2nd. It's even been as low as third in the past. And this could just be a one week thing.

Drmke
October 06, 2009, 06:40 PM
Bleach over One Piece....eh, who cares? Its just one week. Let Bleach have its little moment.

And it is too early to be counting Shinigami and Lilienthal out just yet.

Kaiten
October 06, 2009, 08:48 PM
Some more Reborn "scoops":

This month is being called Katekyo Hitman Reborn! X Monthly Project, tying into plot developments coming in the manga this month. If you can't figure out what development the X is Roman numeral 10. Getting a month of color ties into this and a series of new media, starting with the art book announced last week. This weeks announcement is that the Kaibutsu Tsugai Tsuna! side story from V Jump will get "petite anime" to run during the main episodes October 17, 24, and 31. The novelization will also resume for one installment in the November issue of Jump SQ.

user216
October 07, 2009, 02:23 AM
its kinda refreshing to have a manga besides naruto/op taking first

Stevenh1990
October 07, 2009, 02:36 AM
So I don't get how this works, does the TOC rank the chapters of last week or this week ?

eni
October 07, 2009, 02:45 AM
It ranks the chapter from 8 weeks ago :)

New series are unranked for the first two month, then when the 9th chapter is published the ToC will feature the ranking of the 1st chapter and continue this way... *counts* ... 9th or 8th? Meh, I hate maths...

Weapon_X
October 07, 2009, 04:49 AM
Naruto WSJ Cover :)

http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0529_h.jpeg

user216
October 07, 2009, 05:33 AM
have kishimoto's drawing skills deteriorated? ^_^"

SameOld
October 07, 2009, 06:48 AM
It ranks the chapter from 8 weeks ago :)

New series are unranked for the first two month, then when the 9th chapter is published the ToC will feature the ranking of the 1st chapter and continue this way... *counts* ... 9th or 8th? Meh, I hate maths...

The 8th.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 07, 2009, 07:47 AM
have kishimoto's drawing skills deteriorated? ^_^"

What are you talking about?

sir_arles
October 07, 2009, 07:52 AM
Altough Naruto's face looks kinda odd, I like this cover. Especially the coloring.

About Bleach beating OP... It's been a while sin TOCs seem less important to me. I mean, the fact of shifting 1 or 2 positions doesn't really mean anything significant.
I'm a Bakuman's fan, and if I had to worry about each TOC each # of WSJ, I'd be in the hospital by now. XD

pandaaqueen
October 07, 2009, 07:53 AM
I don't really like this cover, tbh :I

Also, his facial expression kinda scares me. Lol.

salam-daim
October 07, 2009, 08:19 AM
this is not the most beautiful covers of this year
that's for sure

Rejuvenation
October 07, 2009, 08:23 AM
Blah, a boring/horrible one compared to that great Reborn cover last week. Hopefully this will be the last Naruto cover of the year and we won't get anymore.

What are you talking about?

A lot of people feel like his art isn't the same level as it once was since Part 1. Part of it is probably a style change but there have been some really bad panels throughout the 2nd half.

Koen
October 07, 2009, 08:27 AM
Naruto has had worse covers. This is not a worse one, I like the cover. It's not a perfect one but it's decent imo

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 09:28 AM
Naruto has had worse covers but not many series have worth covers than Naruto. I like Kishi's black and white art, not his color or cover work. This won has a little to recommend, he's not screaming, scowling, or jumping.
[hr]
Hitman Reborn Color Pages

http://imagefruity.com/images/8wtyn4pgvquaa0l197h_thumb.jpg (http://imagefruity.com/viewer.php?file=8wtyn4pgvquaa0l197h.jpg) http://imagefruity.com/images/x85d1fwl8cibqcajxnap_thumb.jpg (http://imagefruity.com/viewer.php?file=x85d1fwl8cibqcajxnap.jpg)

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 07, 2009, 09:51 AM
Blah, a boring/horrible one compared to that great Reborn cover last week. Hopefully this will be the last Naruto cover of the year and we won't get anymore.

A lot of people feel like his art isn't the same level as it once was since Part 1. Part of it is probably a style change but there have been some really bad panels throughout the 2nd half.

Art in volume versions or in WSJ version? I mean it wouldn't be fair to compare part 1 volume art to part 2 WSJ art, since mistakes etc are corrected in the volumes.

But yeah part 1 art was nice.

Rejuvenation
October 07, 2009, 10:13 AM
Like the reborn color pages. The one on the left a bit more than the one on the right though.

Art in volume versions or in WSJ version? I mean it wouldn't be fair to compare part 1 volume art to part 2 WSJ art, since mistakes etc are corrected in the volumes.

But yeah part 1 art was nice.

Both WSJ versions. Last time I recall people taking the last two arcs of Part 1 and comparing to some of the Part 2 versions.

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 10:19 AM
Please, no more discussion of specific series. Further discussion of the quality of Naruto's art, past and present, will be considered off topic. Thanks :)

pandaaqueen
October 07, 2009, 12:20 PM
#47 (19/10) :
Reborn (Couv, Page Couleur, Scoop)
Kuroko no Basket (Page Couleur & 25p)
One Piece (Absent)

updated preview!

Negative Syndicate
October 07, 2009, 12:23 PM
I think raw paradise forgot to put that Bakuman is also getting colour page, too.

pandaaqueen
October 07, 2009, 01:24 PM
Yep, they did XD

#47 (19/10) :
Reborn (Couv, Page Couleur & Scoop)
Baku-man (Page Couleur & Résultat Concour de Popularité)
Kuroko no Basket (Page Couleur & 25p)
One Piece (Absent)

M-Hario
October 07, 2009, 03:42 PM
So Reborn gets the cover of issue 47?

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 04:36 PM
Looks like it, it's second of the month. There's a lot going on plot wise this month and a lot of extras being announced too. The art book and "petite anime" have been announced so far.
[hr]
I'll post the whole thing later today but neither Medaka or Akaboshi made the Oricon top 30 this week. Jump Comics did come in mid - tracking period, in that time both shipped under 28,696 copies. Doesn't mean they are doomed, just don't expect sales to save either next month.

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 05:44 PM
Well that just makes next month more fun and scary at the same time....no idea what or even how many will go.....and with neither Medaka or Akaboshi selling that great, the tension increases.

Xadyu
October 07, 2009, 05:50 PM
How long have the two series been on sale now?

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 05:51 PM
How long have the two series been on sale now?

They went on sale the beginning of this month.

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 06:00 PM
They went on sale Friday, this is the first ranking they've been a part of. It is also the most important as the majority of copies ship the first week. It's not that the first volume missing the top thirty is a big deal. It's not, most new series don't. It's just that it can longer be viewed as a get out of jail free card. Both are dependent on the TOC and TOC alone. Of course there are other factors tied to that; if Waji ends, if both new series do poorly, if only three series end. Is one more popular with an older demographic. Does one draw more female readers.

What we are looking at now are two series to new to chart, two series with that are usually in the basement, one that always places last, and a gag manga wild card. There are potentially six series that can be canceled next month. If Shinigami and Lilienthal are both hits I think three will end. If one fails, I think four series will end.

Weapon_X
October 07, 2009, 06:24 PM
I like the Naruto cover, is it just me or he looks "shiny"? :lmao

When there was a double spread colour page of all the 5 Kages, there was a Naruto WSJ cover with it as well and Naruto looked shiny in that as well...:/

SameOld
October 07, 2009, 06:52 PM
I don't think four series will end, no matter what the circumstances. Don't ask me why, I just don't see it happening. Besides, even the two newcomers probably won't be cut right away; they'd have to be Meister-level catastrophic to be cut right after debuting. None seems likely to, but we never now.

Anyway, assuming only three cuts wil be made when the time is due and none of the two new series fails so miserably it gets killed at the first chance, what we have is a situation where there's no way both Medaka and Akaboshi can survive at the same time.

The way I see things, Kagijin is 100% guaranteed to get axed, while the two remaining slots could be filled by Waji and Medaka, Waji and Akaboshi or Medaka and Akaboshi. I don't see any other possibility at this point. In fact, this is why I was afraid Medaka's sales would be high enough to save it despite its ToC rankings, at the cost of killing Akaboshi (seriously, did anyone really hope that Akaboshi would sell well? Unlike Medaka, its target audience is the same one that votes every week; if they don't vote for it in the weekly rankings, they won't buy the tankos, simple as that).

tl;dr seeing Medaka's sales weren't huge makes me kinda relieved and able to keep my hopes up for Akaboshi.

Negative Syndicate
October 07, 2009, 06:57 PM
Well Medaka and Akaboshi didn't get ranked, but I heard that Medaka was sold out in the book store, I'm not sure about Akaboshi.

Also, does anyone know that oricon sales arebased on on-line sales or other kind of sales?

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 06:59 PM
Why do you assume Waji will end? What exactly would lead you to that conclusion? Why can't both Akaboshi and Medaka end? The majority of both series chapters have been in the bottom five. It's not like one has distinguished itself from the other. If Lilienthal and Shinigami fall straight to the bottom five why not cancel four series, Meadka and Akaboshi being the other two, and start with four new series for 2010? if one of the two new series does well but Waji really is secretly doing horribly, why not end all four? There would not be much of a point of leaving new series in the bottom five after issue 1. As recently as 2007 four new series were added in December.

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 06:59 PM
I don't think four series will end, no matter what the circumstances. Don't ask me why, I just don't see it happening. Besides, even the two newcomers probably won't be cut right away; they'd have to be Meister-level catastrophic to be cut right after debuting. None seems likely to, but we never now.

I think four cuts is very possible especially considering it happened last year at this time. Though for it to happen one of the new guys has to go down, but I still consider it a possiblity.

The way I see things, Kagijin is 100% guaranteed to get axed, while the two remaining slots could be filled by Waji and Medaka, Waji and Akaboshi or Medaka and Akaboshi. I don't see any other possibility at this point. In fact, this is why I was afraid Medaka's sales would be high enough to save it despite its ToC rankings, at the cost of killing Akaboshi (seriously, did anyone really hope that Akaboshi would sell well? Unlike Medaka, its target audience is the same one that votes every week; if they don't vote for it in the weekly rankings, they won't buy the tankos, simple as that).

tl;dr seeing Medaka's sales weren't huge makes me kinda relieved and able to keep my hopes up for Akaboshi.

Even I didn't really expect Akaboshi to sell well, its still possible that a series does bad in the ToC and sells well. Kids that read Jump are pretty much gonna vote for One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Reborn almost every week. They will probably vote for 3 of those 4 most of the time even if they go out and buy other series in tank form.

SameOld
October 07, 2009, 07:08 PM
Why do you assume Waji will end? What exactly would lead you to that conclusion?

Because it's as you said: it's a wild card. No one knows for sure. I never said I was 100% sure it's going to end.

Why can't both Akaboshi and Medaka end? The majority of both series chapters have been in the bottom five. It's not like one has distinguished itself from the other.

...did you even read my post at all? I said both ending was one of the possibilities. I never said one of the two will survive for sure; what I said was there's no way both will.

If Lilienthal and Shinigami fall straight to the bottom five why not cancel four series, Meadka and Akaboshi being the other two, and start with four new series for 2010?

(...)

There would not be much of a point of leaving new series in the bottom five after issue 1.

I get the feeling lately Jump has been a little more patient with new series that fail. Chagecha was cancelled pretty quickly, and so was Meister, but Bokke-san did last for two seasons. And so did Hoop Men, which bottomed out from beginning to end. I wouldn't waste my time giving the newcomers the opportunity to last for another season if they bottom out like Hoop Men did, but it's what the editors seem to be doing recently.

Galactic Tomahawk
October 07, 2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah four cuts could easily happen.

Unless either Medaka or Akaboshi suddenly starts doing much better (which is certainly possible, but still pretty unlikely) I don't think you can count on them living much longer.

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 07:11 PM
Also, does anyone know that oricon sales arebased on on-line sales or other kind of sales?

Oricon is a reporting service. Both traditional and online stores report how many copies of an item they order from publishers. Sales are determined not by the number of copies purchased at POS or from the website but by the number of copies the chain or website keep in stock. POS determines how large their second order is and how many they choose to order when the next volume come out. Shueisha and other publishers make their money before the customer purchases so they're main interest is dealing with the retailers. Not all chains report to Oricon, though they are considered the most comprehensive in Japan. The numbers posted by publishers should not be believed, Japanese companies are notorious for inflating sales figures.

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 07:17 PM
I get the feeling lately Jump has been a little more patient with new series that fail. Chagecha was cancelled pretty quickly, and so was Meister, but Bokke-san did last for two seasons. And so did Hoop Men, which bottomed out from beginning to end. I wouldn't waste my time giving the newcomers the opportunity to last for another season if they bottom out like Hoop Men did, but it's what the editors seem to be doing recently.

Bokke-san only survived a second season because Asklepios and Meister were doing worse. And Hoopmen only survived becasue Bokke-san was doing worse and Nuero ended. Jump is just as hard on new series as its always been imo.

SameOld
October 07, 2009, 07:25 PM
Bokke-san only survived a second season because Asklepios and Meister were doing worse. And Hoopmen only survived becasue Bokke-san was doing worse and Nuero ended. Jump is just as hard on new series as its always been imo.

But... Bokke-san wasn't doing worse than Hoop Men. Hell, it didn't even get last place once that I recall. Hoop Men was last place (in other words, below Bokke-san) the issue before Bokke-san ended. And it kept bottoming out until the end. Why would the editors spare it from being axed as soon as possible when they knew its ranking wouldn't increase later?

KuwabaraTheMan
October 07, 2009, 07:34 PM
Why do you assume Waji will end? What exactly would lead you to that conclusion? Why can't both Akaboshi and Medaka end? The majority of both series chapters have been in the bottom five. It's not like one has distinguished itself from the other. If Lilienthal and Shinigami fall straight to the bottom five why not cancel four series, Meadka and Akaboshi being the other two, and start with four new series for 2010? if one of the two new series does well but Waji really is secretly doing horribly, why not end all four? There would not be much of a point of leaving new series in the bottom five after issue 1. As recently as 2007 four new series were added in December.

My guess would be that the decision for how many new series to start would probably have to be made by now, or very soon. They might not have the luxury of waiting to see how the newest series do before deciding if they want a fourth new series. Most authors are generally working with 6 weeks to 2 months of lead time, after all.

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 07:39 PM
But... Bokke-san wasn't doing worse than Hoop Men. Hell, it didn't even get last place once that I recall. Hoop Men was last place (in other words, below Bokke-san) the issue before Bokke-san ended. And it kept bottoming out until the end. Why would the editors spare it from being axed as soon as possible when they knew its ranking wouldn't increase later?

More than likely the editors had already made the decision to cut Bokke and only had two new series lined up and wanted to see if Hoopmen could improve a little.

Most series at least make it two seasons even when they do really bad.

jose
October 07, 2009, 07:41 PM
Why no one consider that ane doki will be cut? It has been in b5 every week.

SameOld
October 07, 2009, 07:43 PM

It got color pages. That's pretty much the editors' way of saying "we won't let this series go, get over it" to us. :P

Drmke
October 07, 2009, 07:44 PM

No, it actually hasn't been it the bottom five that much and when it is, its above at least 3 other series. Plus, Jump has been giving it color pages. It might get cut next time, but its pretty much safe this time around.

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 07:58 PM
Hoopmen only lasted 17 chapters, that's a pretty quick kill. Only four more chapters then Muddy and K.O. Sen. Canceling a series with less then 10 chapters is a drastic move, even for Jump. That is total rejection; not just last place but such a low number of votes that there isn't even a point to cut older struggling series.

And no, Ane Doki has mostly been in the middle. It's like Bakuman or Beelze, every few weeks it gets pushed into the bottom five then rebounds right away.

jose
October 07, 2009, 08:05 PM
Ane doki only stay in middle in first chapter ranked, the others chapters its in b5, except when get colour page or cp, and it's 2 times yet that that got it.

Negative Syndicate
October 07, 2009, 08:08 PM
If Medaka's and Akaboshi's volume 1's sale of first week are same as Kuroko's volume 1's sale of first week, is this mean it is good for series that staying bottom 5 for most of time?

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 08:10 PM
Ane Doki has only been in the bottom five in three issues: 43, 44, and 46.

Estranho
October 07, 2009, 08:12 PM
It got color pages. That's pretty much the editors' way of saying "we won't let this series go, get over it" to us. :P
Well, Double Arts got a COVER...

jose
October 07, 2009, 08:16 PM
Yeah Kaiten, but dont forget that the 9th chapter got colour and in issue 45 too, pimped by editors.

http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2009/jump0945.html

Negative Syndicate
October 07, 2009, 08:33 PM
I found some series's first week sales for their volume 1 (I couldn't find volume 1 sales for Hatsukoi and Psyren so I'll upload volume 2 for them, plus I'm not really sure what is number around a bracket meant for).

┃**51163(3)|べるぜバブ (Beelzebub) 1
┃*154675(7)|バクマン (Bakuman) 1
┃**69177(6)|トリコ (Toriko) 1
┃**48495(7)|ぬらりひょんの孫 (Nurarihyon no Mago) 1
┃**40644(7)│ダブルアーツ (Double Arts) 1
┃**23980(7)|バリハケン (Barihaken) 1
┃**20445(3)|黒子のバスケ (Kuroko no Basket) 1
┃**12287(5)|いぬまるだしっ (Inumaru Dashii) 1
┃***9216(3)|ぼっけさん (Bokke-san) 上
┃**40150(3)|初恋限定 (Hatsukoi Limited) 2
┃**15546(3)|PSYREN 2

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 08:42 PM
If Medaka's and Akaboshi's volume 1's sale of first week are same as Kuroko's volume 1's sale of first week, is this mean it is good for series that staying bottom 5 for most of time?

Kuroko is rarely in the bottom 5, not a great series to compare it to. It's more like there is nothing we can read into sales, nothing we can see that may give us a clue weather either lives or dies. It's unusual enough for series with so many appearances in the top 5 so early to last long enough to remain serialized when their first volume comes out. That alone is enough to stay away from any sort of conventional wisdom. It may be for the best to just discount sales as an indicator of survival for now. If one has a great second week then there may be more room for hope. I'm not expecting much.
[hr]

Yeah Kaiten, but dont forget that the 9th chapter got colour and in issue 45 too, pimped by editors.

http://hamada.tsukaeru.info/jump/2009/jump0945.html

Editors don't pimp series they plan on canceling. Ever. Ane Doki won't be part of the next cancellation. Not with so many older series preforming so much worse.

Digital_Eon
October 07, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think four cuts is very possible especially considering it happened last year at this time. Though for it to happen one of the new guys has to go down, but I still consider it a possiblity.

Technically, no - if Kagijin, Akaboshi, Medaka and Waji all got cancelled...

Rejuvenation
October 07, 2009, 10:36 PM
Which series ended last year around December? I looked back and only Bari Haken showed up. The year before that Over Time and Zan ended around that time. Anyone mind filling in the blanks?

Kaiten
October 07, 2009, 10:59 PM
Chagecha (issue 49) and Haken (issue 52) were canceled , Hunter x Hunter went back on hiatus after issue 2. Chagecha's spot was temporarily filled by one shots, Lilienthal being the most notable.

wingman32x
October 08, 2009, 02:16 AM
Ane Doki has only been in the bottom five in three issues: 43, 44, and 46.

how many times has it been out of the bottom 5?

SameOld
October 08, 2009, 05:28 AM
Kuroko is rarely in the bottom 5, not a great series to compare it to.

Eh...

how many times has it been out of the bottom 5?

This is what Ane Dokii's rankings have been like, since chapter 8 (first number is its position, second is the number of ranked series that week):

9/16
CP
12/16
7/15
13/16
CP
13/16

To come up with those numbers, I disregarded series with color pages and newcomers who weren't ranked yet, as well as Kochikame. As you can see, in seven chapters it only got out of the bottom 5 by its own merit twice. Since then, it has been in the bottom 5 three times; if it didn't get color pages in issue 45 it'd probably be down there too. Hardly what I'd call a safe series - it won't go down this season, that's a given, but look out for the next one.

wingman32x
October 08, 2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the info. I hope it works out. I think the rankings will get better in the future though. The quality of the series has gone up recently and I hope the rankings will reflect that. The chapters that are being ranked right now don't have much plot and have a lot of ecchi. I'm still learning about the Toc, but I think the bottom 5 finishes have a little bit to do with that. I know that people on the forums I frequent were growing impatient because the plot wasn't really going anywhere during the ranked chapters.

Drmke
October 08, 2009, 06:35 PM
Technically, no - if Kagijin, Akaboshi, Medaka and Waji all got cancelled...

Wajima hasn't done bad enough to assume it will get canceled. Kagijin, Akaboshi, and Medaka all have done pretty bad. In fact, Ane Doki has done worse than Wajima in terms of ToC.

Digital_Eon
October 08, 2009, 10:08 PM
Wajima hasn't done bad enough to assume it will get canceled. Kagijin, Akaboshi, and Medaka all have done pretty bad. In fact, Ane Doki has done worse than Wajima in terms of ToC.

Never said it was doing badly, only that it would be possible to cancel four series without cutting any of the newcomers. =P We don't know how Waji is doing... I guess we'll find out when it has enough chapters for a volume.

M-Hario
October 09, 2009, 07:11 PM
#46 Cover HQ scanned by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9713/narutoch46700.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9713/narutoch46700.jpg)

Added! Thanks!!

Koshi_Inaba
October 10, 2009, 07:46 AM
Found some new rumors, don't know if it's true or fake.
>Kagijin and Akaboshi are cut in issue 47, last chapters
>One Shot "22" by Yabuki Kentaro (Black Cat, To Love)in issue 47
>New series "NEON" by Kano Yasuhiro (Mx0, Pretty Face) in issue 48
>New series "Memory" by Komi Naoshi (Double Arts) in issue 49

ruggia
October 10, 2009, 07:58 AM

most likely a rumor, but would be great if its true ;)
Naoshi Komi and Yasuhiro Kano returning would be just awesome.

Negative Syndicate
October 10, 2009, 08:35 AM

Yeah, I think it is just rumor, too. I know Kagijin going to be axed, but I think it is still not near the rushed ending, yet. I think we have to wait two or three more weeks to end Kagijin.

Plus, new series are starting too early.

SameOld
October 10, 2009, 09:04 AM
Obviously fake. Or at least I hope it is, because I definitely don't want to see Kano back in WSJ. Ever. He seriously needs to abandon WSJ and become a full-fledged seinen mangaka already. That's where his talent lies IMO.

Funny how all of these rumors talk about a new series by Naoshi Komi... guess people are really eager to see him back again.

Estranho
October 10, 2009, 09:46 AM
I can't believe Yabuki did a OneShot and had it printed in a month

Kaiten
October 10, 2009, 10:28 AM
Murata had a one shot published before Eyeshield ended, not like it's impossible to work on two things at once. Exit one shots are customary now, either in WSJ or SQ. But yeah, I'll believe it when I see it, in regards to upcoming endings. At least Kagijin and AKaboshi ending around issue 47 or 48 sounds feasible.

Akainu
October 10, 2009, 10:31 AM
But two series ending in the same volume? that sounds pretty strange for me, even though they get around starting two new series with a one shot, but still...

Kaiten
October 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
That part won't happen. Even if everything else is true Kagijin and Akaboshi will end in separate issues.

Negative Syndicate
October 10, 2009, 10:40 AM
That part won't happen. Even if everything else is true Kagijin and Akaboshi will end in separate issues.

Actually, it is possible that two series can end in same issue. I think most recent one is 2006, Over Time and Zan, they both ended at issue 52 of 2006.

Also, I thought that next round of cancellation will be starting around issue 49. Plus, new series are starting too early. Last two new series line-up started very early, so I think the editors shoould take little bit more time on starting a new series line-up.

SSJWill4
October 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
WaqWaq started in issue 40 of 2004
Muhyo to Roji in issue 53
Issues 1-2 of 2005 celebrated the 1 year anniversaries of Death Note and Gintama
First new series of 2005 didn't start until issue 11 with Yuuto followed by Neuro in issue 12

So I wouldn't throw the rumor out of the realm of possibility just yet. Not that I fully believe it either...I guess we'll find out Sunday w/ Issue 47's bottom 5(6) preview.

Rainier
October 10, 2009, 05:14 PM
On a side note, what does the Jump Pirate mean?

Kaiten
October 10, 2009, 11:17 PM
Best question of the day! I'd like to know myself. I wonder if he hangs out with the Shonen Sunday catfish and Shonen Magazine Mole.

Drmke
October 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Eh....could care less if Kano comes back, not a big fan of his work. But Yabuki one-shot and return of Komi would be awesome :) hope that parts true with maybe Akaboshi not getting cut.....

coinanmat
October 11, 2009, 07:09 AM
On a side note, what does the Jump Pirate mean?

Wow I was wondering the same thing myself too when I first saw the magazine but I think I might be able to give a explanation behind the Shonen Jump Pirate guy. There was an article in the January 2009 issue of the English Shonen Jump about Weekly Shonen Jump and it gave a little bio of the pirate guy. It says "This pirate is the symbol of Weekly Shonen Jump. He has been on the cover of every issue since the begining. The magazine's orginal editors chose him to represent their desire to spread WSJ manga around the world like jolly buccaneers braving the stormy, uncharted seas."
I hope that helps to answer your question.

Best question of the day! I'd like to know myself. I wonder if he hangs out with the Shonen Sunday catfish and Shonen Magazine Mole.

I bet he dosent because those are his competition and I dont think he would hang around them lol. Also since you bring that up it makes me want to question, Why does every manga magazine in Japan have to have some sort of mascot appear on their magazine?

Koshi_Inaba
October 11, 2009, 07:45 AM
Isn't it funny that the most popular manga in Jump right now is a series about pirates?:D I bet the editor who make they symbol is proud to see it, if he is still alive, I mean.

SameOld
October 11, 2009, 08:10 AM
Isn't it funny that the most popular manga in Jump right now is a series about pirates?:D I bet the editor who make they symbol is proud to see it, if he is still alive, I mean.

Don't think the guy is alive but yeah, it's a pretty neat coincidence. makes me wonder why the Jump Pirate still hasn't made a special appearance in OP (or has he? :p)

Rainier
October 11, 2009, 10:49 AM
Wow, finally an answer! I had been wondering this for a long time now, specially because he's the one who guides you in the Shonen Jump DS games (every WSJ manga lover should play them, they're awesome). I already thanked your post, but thanks!

x)

Finestela
October 11, 2009, 11:18 AM
Ko-neta:

42 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/10/12(月) 01:12:35 ID:pj0y/tpQ0
小ネタ
・47ドベ6 鍵、赤、PSY、めだか、銀、スケ
 ・休 OP
・48巻頭 鰤  Cぬらり25p、リボ
 ・休 @
 ・金未来発表

2009-47 Bottom 6
Sket Dance
Gintama
Medaka
Psyren
Akaboshi
Kagijin

OP on break.

2009-48
Lead CP: Bleach
CP: Mago (25 Pages), Reborn

Naruto on break.

Golden Future result announcement.

Kaiten
October 11, 2009, 11:24 AM
Psyren is scary low. Dropping into the bottom five isn't that big a deal right now, at least for established series. But third from bottom at least makes me pause. Akaboshi spends it's third straight week second from bottom. Very, very bad. Especially with cuts coming within a month. Only Kagijin as a buffer is not a good sign. Happy that Ane Doki is out of the bottom five this week. It's been quite good lately.

Glad to see Mago getting color and extra pages (again!) for issue 48. If any of the Golden Cup series had been translated I'd be more excited about the announcement of the winner. Hopefully it is as good as the last two!

Koshi_Inaba
October 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
As much as I'm happy Mago is getting color and extra pages again, I would've been happier if it got the lead CP instead of Bleach, I'm really craving for a mago cover. Oh well, at least it looks like Mago's stature in the eyes of Jump's editor has increase a lot.

BBB Banana
October 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
WORST TOC EVER nooooooooooooooo.

Gintama and sket dance are in botom five. I also lost all my hopes for akaboshi and the Naruto goes on break. Fortunately mago got colour.

Rejuvenation
October 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
Ko-neta:

2009-47 Bottom 6
Sket Dance
Gintama
Medaka
Psyren
Akaboshi
Kagijin

OP on break.

2009-48
Lead CP: Bleach
CP: Mago (25 Pages), Reborn

Naruto on break.

Golden Future result announcement.

Sket Dance just barely made it out of the bottom this time.

Unzen appears at the end of the chapter where this was ranked. I'm interested if Medaka will jump up or not with the following chapters.

Psyren back down to the bottom hm? Well that isn't what I wanted to see. I'm surprised it went even lower than Medaka this time. Even so, Psyren is still fine this time around.

Akaboshi hasn't gotten any higher even with its ryouzanpaku chapters getting ranked so I guess there isn't any hope left for it.

Damn, I wish there wasn't a break for Naruto. The faster it ends the better.

Looking forward to the Mago color though I could do without more Bleach.

Next week should be Shinigami's official ranking. I'll be surprised if it debuts outside of the bottom 5 with how much struggling is going on in the middle.

Also I'm happy to see Ane-doki not being in the bottom 5/6 this time around.

ruggia
October 11, 2009, 12:17 PM
hmm interesting. i wonder if its Medaka improving, or just Psyren doing bad.
Akaboshi seems to be going down along with Kagijin.

so it was just a rumor huh. sigh. i was hoping Naoshi Komi to do at least a oneshot by end of the year, but seems like its not happening.

blue123
October 11, 2009, 12:21 PM
More than a few times, I think. Naruto has spent as much time at number one this year as One Piece.It's probably thanks to the 10th anniversary.

wingman32x
October 11, 2009, 12:27 PM
glad to see Ane Doki out of the bottom 5 this week. I wonder what spot it's going to be in when the actual ToC comes out. I hope it goes back to the middle like all of the other times when not in the bottom 5.

Medaka moved up a little bit from its usual second to last place position. I've been really enjoying Medaka lately.

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 11, 2009, 12:31 PM
Ah thats gay Naruto is on a break.

Rainier
October 11, 2009, 12:35 PM
It's probably thanks to the 10th anniversary.

It's also One Piece's fault, it's already time to bring back the ''original cast'' of the series.

*awaits for Reborn! CP*

Akainu
October 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
It's also One Piece's fault, it's already time to bring back the ''original cast'' of the series.

*awaits for Reborn! CP*
That surely is one of the reasons the otherwise good content doesn't get the votes it would if they were involved. But I don't think Oda cares much about where in Jump OP is as long as he can tell his story :amuse

Also with Naruto being out the week after OP is out, what are they planning? do they want to meassure who gets them more readers? :blink

◆ T.D.A ◆
October 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
That surely is one of the reasons the otherwise good content doesn't get the votes it would if they were involved. But I don't think Oda cares much about where in Jump OP is as long as he can tell his story :amuse

Also with Naruto being out the week after OP is out, what are they planning? do they want to meassure who gets them more readers? :blink

Or maybe to get Bleach on top spots for a few weeks running.

ruggia
October 11, 2009, 01:12 PM
・48巻頭 鰤  Cぬらり25p、リボ
 ・休 @

haha @ = Naruto :D. i just realized it. thats pretty awesome.

do we have any info on this year's Golden Future Cup other than plain titles?

Drmke
October 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
Akaboshi :crying. And Psyren too!!! That at least better go back up next week....even Mago color pages couldn't make up for losing two series I enjoy.

But hurray for the Golden Future annoucement!! Even though I don't know what any of them are about, Crown! sounds like a sports manga to me...which makes me interested in seeing it serialized.

kewl0210
October 11, 2009, 01:44 PM
Gintama Yoyos all the way from the top to the bottom.... Rest is pretty normal.
And Naruto going on break next week to match with OP being off this week.

Mago getting a lot more attention, too.

Negative Syndicate
October 11, 2009, 01:52 PM
Next round of cancellation going to start at issue 49, I think. Then, we might able to which series going out on next Sunday.

I'm sad to see Akaboshi is so low. I'm only hoping on tank sells, but everyone said Medaka and Akaboshi's sales are low because they are not at top 30. However, I heard that Medaka and Akaboshi are having their reprint and going to release at mid-October. I think Medaka and Akaboshi are not is top 30 because Shueisha might copy only little bit for Medaka's and Akaboshi's first edition.

As for Golden Future Cup, I find that most Japanese reviewers like Metalica Metalica most and Crown worst.

Drmke
October 11, 2009, 01:57 PM
As for Golden Future Cup, I find that most Japanese reviewers like Metalica Metalica most and Crown worst.

Do you know what the Golden Future Cup series' are about then?

Negative Syndicate
October 11, 2009, 02:13 PM
Do you know what the Golden Future Cup series' are about then?

I upload what the one shots are about, but they are in Japanese, and I don't have time to translate. So, I hope someone will translate for me.

Entry No.1: 明治百機八匣譚DENGI (Meiji Hyakkiyakoutan Dengi)

明治15年。獄死した平賀源内の養子にして助手でもあった平賀電次は、1匹の子犬とともに怪人の話題で持ち切りの東京へ「ある物」を探しにやってきた。とある発明家の家へと向かう途中に出会った少女・雛子がたまたまその家の娘であったっため、そのまま案内されることに。屋敷の主に不穏なものを感じ取った電次たちは屋内で偶然隠し部屋を見つけ、意外な真実に辿りつく。なんとその屋敷の主こそ、いま東京で話題の怪人「八ツ足神斬り」だったのだ……。平賀源内が作りだした「百機八匣」を持つ者同士が戦うからくりバトル漫画。

Entry No.2: CROWN!

ヨーロッパにある世界最古の王家「サンクトリウス家」。その一族の王子・ジーナスが突如来日し、マスコミから注目を浴びていた。来日の目的は、母親の故郷である日本の高校への留学。ところが、ジーナスの受け入れ先である州王高校サッカー部では、ジーナスの扱いをめぐって校長とに部長が激しく衝突していた。王子をケガさせたら責任問題に発展しかねないことを恐れた校長は、サッカー部に条件付きで廃部を突き付ける。その条件とは、昨年全国4位だった神九高校に負けたら廃部にするというもの。廃部の危機に追い込まれたため当初はジーナスに不快感を抱いていた部員たちであったが、留学の事情を知って次第に仲間として認めていく。そしてついに強豪・神九高校との試合が始まるのであった……。涼やかな王子様がアクロバティックなプレーで魅せる青春サッカー漫画。

Entry No.3: north island

ついカッとなってしまった勢いで組長を半殺しにしてしまった宇宙ヤクザのエイシンは、信頼する2人の部下を引き連れ宇宙の果てへと逃避行の旅を続けていた。そして辿りついたのは地球、日本。地球でのエイシン組旗揚げを決意し盛り上がるエイシン一行は、地球のヤクザに女子高生・新海月帆が因縁をつけられている様子を偶然目にする。恫喝され恐怖におびえる女の子に、仁義や任侠を少しも感じさせないヤクザたち。これは見過ごせないと憤るエイシンだったが、興奮した部下の操作ミスで彼らの乗った宇宙船は事務所のあるビルへと猛スピードで突っ込み衝突してしまう。その瞬間、激しい閃光があたり一面に広がり、その中心地で奇妙な現象が起こった。驚くことにエイシンと新海月帆の身体が入れ替わっていたのだった……。宇宙ヤクザと女子高生の入れ替わりと交流を通して心の成長を描く任侠活劇。

Entry No.4: 世直し伝説!!世奈押郎 (Yonaoshi Densetsu!! Yona Oshirou)

20XX年。世界規模の大不況のあおりを受け、大人たちはみなヤケクソになっていた。そしてやってきたのは、外道が教育を語り、夫が妻を煮込んでラーメンのスープを作ろうとする理不尽な時代。すっかり荒廃してしまった世界からは文明と人々の秩序が失われ、まさに暴力が支配する弱肉強食の世界と化していた。だが、そんな絶望に満ちた時代を鍛え上げた拳ひとつで世直ししようと燃える屈強な男がいた。抵抗する術もなく大人たちの暴力におびえる子供たちの前に現れた謎の転校生・世奈押郎。転校直後早々、生徒を暴力で管理する外道教師をその必殺の世直し技で倒し、改心させることに成功する。はたして彼はこの荒んだ世界を世直しする救世主となれるのだろうか? こうして世奈押郎の激闘の日々が始まった……。謎の転校生・世奈押郎の漢(おとこ)な生き様を描くハードボイルドアクションギャグ漫画。

Entry No.5: メタリカメタルカ (Metalica Metaluca)

中央金工都市メタルシティ。3年前に生き別れになった父との約束を果たすため、この街にやってきた元気な少年・ルカ。彼の目的は、金属管理(メタリスト)協会の本部があるこの街で級付きの鋼探索士(ミネア)になり、消息不明の父とメタリカ一族のみに伝わる金属種「超金属」の探索範囲を広げることだった。会長は鋼探索士認定のテストとして、監視役である金属管理協会員のシノとともに、ルカにC級危険区ヴォルカノ山地にレアメタル「ジュエライト鋼」を採りに行くよう命じる。異臭漂う洞窟の中を進み、ついに目的の金属を発見した2人だったが、その隣りには巨大なドラゴンが鎮座していた……。金属を自由自在に変形させることができる能力を持った少年が、幻のレアメタル「超金属」と父親を探し求める冒険ファンタジー漫画。

Xadyu
October 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
"Metalica Metaluca", that actually rings a bell, yet I have no knowledge about the Golden Future Cup at all, is that possible?

Has it been published before or something like that?

ruggia
October 11, 2009, 02:31 PM
"Metalica Metaluca", that actually rings a bell, yet I have no knowledge about the Golden Future Cup at all, is that possible?

i know. i think there's manga/anime with a similar name, or something like that.
it does sound familiar.

Negative Syndicate
October 11, 2009, 02:35 PM

The Golden Future Cup is an event about each year they serialized numbers of newbies one shot, and the winner of Golden Future Cup can serialize their one shot to series.

It is started since 2004, and this year is fifth Golden Future Cup.

Currently, Shiibashi Hiroshi (author of Nurarihyon no Mago), Tamura Ryuuhei (author of Beelzebub), and Amano Youichi (author of Akaboshi) were the past winners of Golden Future Cup. And Aimoto Shou (author of Hokenshitsu no Shinigami) was past runner up.

SameOld
October 11, 2009, 03:55 PM
I'm glad to know the readers liked Metalica... I got a huge Shaman King vibe from the preview pic. Hope it wins. None of the other one-shots seemed all that interesting to me... except maybe North Island.

DeidaraGrimmjow
October 11, 2009, 05:19 PM

Sorry, but are you saying that the Japanese readers did not like them?

Negative Syndicate
October 11, 2009, 05:36 PM
Sorry, but are you saying that the Japanese readers did not like them?

I mean that Japanese readers tend like Metalica most and Crown least. But, it doesn't mean Metalica going to win for sure, yet. We will find out at next week.

Rejuvenation
October 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
I mean that Japanese readers tend like Metalica most and Crown least. But, it doesn't mean Metalica going to win for sure, yet. We will find out at next week.

Crown was a sports manga right? If so no surprise they weren't feeling it what with the utter rejection they have given most recent sports series. The editors needed to keep Kuroko on life support just to get it where it currently is at.

Mr. Prince
October 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it looks like Crown was a soccer manga...apparently none of them was scanned if I remember correctly but I found this neat picture some time ago:
http://img255.imagevenue.com/loc186/th_13753_Kinmirai_122_186lo.jpg (http://img255.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=13753_Kinmirai_122_186lo.jpg)
As for the small summaries posted earlier...don't bother to take a look at them and translate right now. I might do it tomorrow or so if nobody else'd give it a shot.

[Cross]
October 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Looks like Metalica Metalica was most likely literally about metal, how fun.

fizban
October 11, 2009, 08:35 PM
Dengi stands out to me, but I've been playing Kingdom Hearts a lot so maybe I am just drawn to a blunt object being used to smack around shadow monsters.

Kaiten
October 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
They all look so stereotypically shonen I died inside a little. Crown looked well drawn, at least. Hey, FC Barcelona was last years runner up, there's nothing to stop a sports series from doing good this year. Unless he really wears a crown all the time >.<

Funny thing, I found a two year old Future Golden Cup thread today. Seems there was a lot of debate as to what was better that year, Muddy or Mago. Since that was the last time Future Cup comics were scanned the thread died a long time ago.

Drmke
October 11, 2009, 11:15 PM
Now that I've seen the pictures, I still think Crown! looks the most interesting unless, like Kaiten said, he wears that crown all the time......Dengi looks like it might be good too. Not really liking the way North Island looks though. Looks kinda like Ten from Bakuman.

Kaiten
October 11, 2009, 11:59 PM
The art for Metalica Metaluca looks generic. Such a dangerous thing to a judge a series solely on art, and one page at that. Their are plenty of great series with mediocre (or worse) art, so many terrible series that look amazing.

Negative Syndicate
October 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
Well, looks like rumor about Akaboshi and Kagijin going to be cut on issue 47 was false. Then, looks like return of Kano and Komi might be false, too.

Xadyu
October 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Kano and Komi again though.

Yet I'd rather see Kano with a seinen serialization, that just fits him better.

Negative Syndicate
October 12, 2009, 05:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Kano and Komi again though.

Yet I'd rather see Kano with a seinen serialization, that just fits him better.

I think Kano is more fit with Jump sq, than shonen jump and seinen magazine.

[Cross]
October 12, 2009, 05:57 PM
Well some times there are fragments of truth within false rumors, so it may or may not be true. I remember similar things happening before.

ruggia
October 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
I would rather see Kano stay in shounen (but not WSJ).
it would be nice if he moves to WSM or Jump SQ.

Kaiten
October 13, 2009, 10:07 AM
Seeing as how rare it is for mangaka to leave Shueisha, WSM might be out of the question. SQ seems reasonable except Kano would stand to make the most money by sticking with WSJ. Lest we forget he did that ecchi little red riding hood (that wasn't bad) in Akamaru earlier this year. He could be primed to return soon.

Xadyu
October 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
Well, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure switched from WSJ to WSM too. Part 1-4 were in WSJ, then 5 and 6 were in WSM. If I'm correct.

And they're all done by the same guy, right?

ruggia
October 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
are u sure about that?
I thought JoJo just moved to Ultra Jump or other magazines on Shueisha.
I can't imagine Shueisha letting Kodansha get anything as big as Jojo.

Negative Syndicate
October 13, 2009, 10:31 AM
Actually, Jojo was lasted 1987 to 2002 in WSJ. After that, it changed name to Steel Ball Run and started in WSJ on 2004, but it later moved to Ultra Jump.

I think series can move to other magazine if it is in same publisher, but it can't change to different publisher until the author finished the series or contract is finished.

Kaiten
October 13, 2009, 10:36 AM
The only part of JoJo's not in WSJ is Steel Ball Run, which, as Ruggia said, moved to Ultra Jump, one of Shueisha's seinen magazines. The City Hunter, Fist of the North Star, and St. Seiya franchises left. All went to smaller publishers, Shinchosha and Akita Shoten. They were all unwanted cast offs, even if Angel Heart is really popular. Shogakukan mangaka seem to flee to Kodansha, Shueisha mangaka only leave if they are unwanted :)

Koshi_Inaba
October 14, 2009, 04:41 AM
anyone got the toc yet?

Xadyu
October 14, 2009, 06:06 AM
The only part of JoJo's not in WSJ is Steel Ball Run, which, as Ruggia said, moved to Ultra Jump, one of Shueisha's seinen magazines. The City Hunter, Fist of the North Star, and St. Seiya franchises left. All went to smaller publishers, Shinchosha and Akita Shoten. They were all unwanted cast offs, even if Angel Heart is really popular. Shogakukan mangaka seem to flee to Kodansha, Shueisha mangaka only leave if they are unwanted :)

I thought Golden Wind and Stone Ocean were serialized in WSM, hmm. Would seem weird indeed, I guess I've read it wrong then.

Galactic Tomahawk
October 14, 2009, 07:50 AM
Is the second Naruto supposed to be Bleach?

Awesome to see Mago getting third again.

Koshi_Inaba
October 14, 2009, 07:59 AM
Mago and Toriko side-by-side, now that I like

SameOld
October 14, 2009, 08:53 AM
Nothing to say about this week, really... the one I'm interested in is the next one. It will have the Golden Cup results AND Shinigami's first ranking. Oh, and hopefully Kuroko falling back to where it belongs.

Rejuvenation
October 14, 2009, 08:55 AM
Nice to see Mago and Toriko in the top 5.

Beelzebub and Ane Doki in the middle.

It will be nice to see Psyren and Medaka leave the bottom next week.

Still expecting Shinigami to debut pretty low personally.

Crude
October 14, 2009, 09:36 AM
This is the first time Shinigami's being ranked right? If so it's doing pretty good. Here's hoping it continues to do well.

Estranho
October 14, 2009, 09:40 AM
This is the first time Shinigami's being ranked right? If so it's doing pretty good. Here's hoping it continues to do well.
No, the first ranking will be next issue.

Kaiten
October 14, 2009, 10:19 AM
lol! Bakuman loses another color. They need to do a chapter about this :p

Nice to see Mago in the top five. While I hate to judge a series I can't read I don't care if Shinigami fails. Lilienthal looks epic, I want to read it very badly, I want it to last long enough to get translated.

[Cross]
October 14, 2009, 11:14 AM
That is weird, isn't it? Lilienthal hasn't been translated yet. Nice toc, glad to see Mago up there.

Estranho
October 14, 2009, 11:15 AM
Bakuman loses only the cover, I guess. It keeps the Colorpage

Xadyu
October 14, 2009, 12:41 PM
ToC isn't so suprising, too bad Akaboshi is still down there and it's sad to see Sket Dance so low once again, glad about Toriko, I actually think Toriko can be in the top 3 now, replacing Bleach, lol.

lol! Bakuman loses another color. They need to do a chapter about this :p

Nice to see Mago in the top five. While I hate to judge a series I can't read I don't care if Shinigami fails. Lilienthal looks epic, I want to read it very badly, I want it to last long enough to get translated.

Well, I read chapter 1 on the website of Jump, totally not what I suspected, it was a nice read tho'. But if I have to judge on the first chapter, it ain't going to last too long.

kewl0210
October 14, 2009, 01:56 PM
Nice that Toriko's in the top five. I'm amazed that Mago is suddenly staying high like this.
Glad Beelzebub isn't too low, too.

I think Hokenshitsu no Shinigami starts being ranked next week. We'll see if it maintains a good rank. But being where it is at this point it seems like it's doing okay.

Uh... what's Kashikoi? Oh. That's the first word in Rilienthanl.
I don't think anyone's scanning it because it's a gag manga. Same situation as with Inumaru really.

[Cross]
October 14, 2009, 02:01 PM
I'll try and throw my hat in Rilienthanl, it looks too amusing to pass up. I just need a translator >.>.
Also, while that explains Rilienthanl, it doesn't really explain why no one has touched Shinigami.

SameOld
October 14, 2009, 02:31 PM
I think Hokenshitsu no Shinigami starts being ranked next week. We'll see if it maintains a good rank. But being where it is at this point it seems like it's doing okay.

Not at all. Every new series that failed since Hoop Men has been in a seemingly safe stop for the first seven weeks, leading people to believe that was a sign they were not in danger. Medaka did, Akaboshi did, Kagijin did...

Uh... what's Kashikoi? Oh. That's the first word in Rilienthanl.
I don't think anyone's scanning it because it's a gag manga. Same situation as with Inumaru really.

But from what I've seen, it's more akin to Gintama and Sket Dance (i.e. a normal 19-page comedy series) than to the likes of Inumaru. People should look into it, really.

ruggia
October 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
;1624823']I'll try and throw my hat in Rilienthanl, it looks too amusing to pass up. I just need a translator >.>.
Also, while that explains Rilienthanl, it doesn't really explain why no one has touched Shinigami.

from the way i've seen so far, non-action or non-romance mangas usually don't get much attention and often get left out. Kagijin, Medaka, or Nurari got picked up pretty quickly, while series like Sket Dance, Kuroko get left out. people just don't feel like translating comedy mangas i guess. sports are sometimes left out too.
Hokenshitsu is romance-less comedy/schoo-life, so I wasn't really surprised when it got left out.
its kind of interesting how I often see scanlated mangas get axed easily, while mangas that aren't getting scanlated seems to survive on.
[hr]

Not at all. Every new series that failed since Hoop Men has been in a seemingly safe stop for the first seven weeks, leading people to believe that was a sign they were not in danger. Medaka did, Akaboshi did, Kagijin did...

not really, Wajimania had pretty bad rank in the beginning (before 8 chaps), and Kagijin wasn't that good either.

SameOld
October 14, 2009, 03:09 PM
not really, Wajimania had pretty bad rank in the beginning (before 8 chaps), and Kagijin wasn't that good either.

Wajimania only further proves my point. Its ranking sucked at first and now it never even hits the bottom 5. If pre-8th week placements were still a good indicator of a series' popularity as they used to be, Waji would be where Kagijin is right now. As for Kagijin, if memory serves, it never hit bottom five for the first 7 weeks - it was always in the top ten, in fact.

ruggia
October 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
here are the first 8 week ranks
Kagijin: 1, 9, 10, 7, 9, 13, 18, 20
Medaka: 1, 4, 8, 7, 9, 7, 9, 10
Akaboshi: 1, 4, 8, 7, 9, 10, 7, 15
Anedoki: 1, 4, 5, 12, 8, 7, 10, 11
Waji: 4, 6, 10, 10, 19, 10, 16, 8

Shinigami: 1, 4, 7, 12, 12, 11, 7
Lilienthal: 1, 5, 9, 9, 15, 10

I by no means think first 7 week rankings tell us anything about future rankings. I just want to point out that Kagijin did have pretty bad rank in the beginning. just by comparing the 7-week ranks, seems like Shinigami and Lilienthal are in a bad position, but who knows what will happen in the real.

by the way, should it be Lilienthal, or Rilienthal? Lilienthal sounds more right to me , but in the real series, they are using "R".

Negative Syndicate
October 14, 2009, 04:30 PM
I have a quick question. Does it common that axed series introduce new character or characters on last 2 or 3 chapters?

SameOld
October 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
I have a quick question. Does it common that axed series introduce new character or characters on last 2 or 3 chapters?

Well... Double Arts DID get axed two chapters after introducing the "eleven gazelle" - in a chapter named "the beginning", ironically enough. Hoop Men also kept showing new characters until near the end, if I recall.

Xadyu
October 14, 2009, 05:47 PM
;1624823']I'll try and throw my hat in Rilienthanl, it looks too amusing to pass up. I just need a translator >.>.

I haven't touched both yet because I'm not feeling Rilienthal and I actually too busy reading manga to translate one to english.

If you'd really want to, I could translate ch1 from both series, but I'm not willing to do more then that. ^^'

Kaiten
October 14, 2009, 09:59 PM
by the way, should it be Lilienthal, or Rilienthal? Lilienthal sounds more right to me , but in the real series, they are using "R".

Rilienthal is the proper name. The title is spelled in Roman letters.

http://thumbnails20.imagebam.com/5239/ba160252382584.gif (http://www.imagebam.com/image/ba160252382584/)

[Cross]
October 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
I haven't touched both yet because I'm not feeling Rilienthal and I actually too busy reading manga to translate one to english.

If you'd really want to, I could translate ch1 from both series, but I'm not willing to do more then that. ^^'

No need to worry, I'm already in talks with a translator to work on Rilienthal.
And yeah, it's Rilienthal, I'm pretty sure that's how they have it on the Jump English site as well.

Akainu
October 15, 2009, 12:49 AM
Just because they have it on their site like that, it doesn't mean it's more right. For example the romanization of OPs protagonist can be seen as both Luffy and Ruffy in official releases.
That said the jap. title has the name of this guy (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%AA%E3%83%83%E3%83%88%E3%83%BC%E3%83%BB%E3%83%AA%E3%83%AA%E3%82%A8%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%AB) yet I guess it's better to stock with the R for now - well whatever <.<

Kaiten
October 15, 2009, 10:14 AM
http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0530_h.jpeg

Crude
October 15, 2009, 12:45 PM
Pretty lame cover compared to the last one (where Tsuna looked awesome).

Drmke
October 15, 2009, 02:38 PM
Well, after having my computer pretty much break down, I'm back!! lol been so bored the last few days but anyway...

Glad Mago is so high again. Hope this trend continues and I hope Shinigami fails too. Just doesn't look that interesting.

Reborn cover is pretty lame....

pandaaqueen
October 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
Not the best cover ever, but it put a smile on my face :-D

Digital_Eon
October 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
I like the Reborn cover; it's pretty cute. It's also a nice change from the one-guy-looking-badass covers most action series have.

...On that Rilienthal page... I love how the text has "DOGGY" in English...

Rainier
October 15, 2009, 04:10 PM
What's with Tsuna's ass sticking out o_O? LOL.

It's not the greatest cover ever, but it's kind of funny. Fangirls will go crazy with chibi Byaku, Hibari and Squalo. Sorry, but I have to admit they sure look funny, lol.

Kaiten
October 15, 2009, 07:16 PM
I like the cover. Wack - a - mole. Funny. I think a poll of some sort is part of this weeks chapter.

pandaaqueen
October 16, 2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah, the results of the popularity poll have been released; and according to cnet's translation, the results of the other poll ("What fight do you want to see most?") will be released somewhere around December/January.

BBB Banana
October 16, 2009, 03:07 PM
It's not the best cover but is prety good and funny.

By the way does anyone know when the results of the poll future vs past characters is going to be anounced?

I don't think this week's results were related to that poll.

Koshi_Inaba
October 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong the next color for reborn is the fourth and last one right? Can anyone tell me of the three previous CP, what are the scoop for each one?

Akiyama
October 16, 2009, 05:18 PM
1st scoop-artbook
2nd scoop- Side Story Kaibutsu Tsugai Tsuna! Gets Anime
3rd scoop popularity polls result
next week will be the last scoop and color page

[Cross]
October 16, 2009, 05:50 PM
Neat, I suppose they saved the best for last, now let's see if it's that movie we've all been hoping for.

Xadyu
October 17, 2009, 07:27 AM
I thought this week was about a game? At least, they had a page showing footage of some kind of game of Reborn?

Negative Syndicate
October 17, 2009, 04:42 PM
I'm kind of feel weird that two endangered series, Akaboshi and Kagijin, both entered the flashback.

Hokenshitsu is horror/comedy manga, but it is not that horror. I think Hokenshitsu should be more scarier, even this week's Rilienthal looks more scarier than Hokenshitsu.

M-Hario
October 17, 2009, 11:27 PM
#47 HQ cover scanned by [Ju-Ni]Vicissitude:

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5448/katekyohitmanrebornch26.th.jpg (http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5448/katekyohitmanrebornch26.jpg)

Added Thank You :)

Finestela
October 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
ko-neta is here!

436 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/10/19(月) 02:32:19 ID:r4LqtTIK0
小ネタ
・48ドベ5 鍵、赤星、めだか、爆、わじま
・休@
・49巻頭 銀  Cべるぜ
 11月は銀魂月間らしい

2009-48 Bottom 5
Wajimania
Bakuman
Medaka
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Naruto on break

2009-49
Lead CP: Gintama
CP: Beelz

Correction: It seems that Gintama will have November CP throughout (like Reborn).

It seems that Gintama will only be serialized once per month for the month of November.

BBB Banana
October 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
Sad that gintama is going on break but it's okay since it got color.

Rejuvenation
October 18, 2009, 12:46 PM
ko-neta is here!

2009-48 Bottom 5
Wajimania
Bakuman
Medaka
Akaboshi
Kagijin

Naruto on break

2009-49
Lead CP: Gintama
CP: Beelz

It seems that Gintama will only be serialized once per month for the month of November.

Oh wow, Shinigami didn't debut in the bottom 5. I'm shocked.

Wajimania returns to the bottom along with Bakuman. Sket, Ane Doki, and Psyren managed to avoid it this time.

Gintama gets the Reborn treatment? That is surprising. What we don't need is more Beelzebub color though. >.>

Well, with only issues 50 and 51-52 left I guess the cuts may be announced then. Kagijin and Akaboshi likely to say their good byes then.

ruggia
October 18, 2009, 12:54 PM
Medaka comes back down again after a slight improvement last week.
so at least Shinigami isn't on bottom 5, which is a good thing? we will have to see the full rank i guess. good thing that psyren is out of the bottom. phew.

nice to see Waji on the bottom 5 for once.

jose
October 18, 2009, 12:58 PM
finestela any info about who win the future cup?

StrangerAtaru
October 18, 2009, 01:12 PM
Only one chapter of Gintama in November? Heh...either Sorachi is taking a bit of a break or he needs to take his time for something big...though I've heard some rumors also that Gintama could be getting a movie in the near future: Bomber D. Rufi informed me that WB Japan has taken the web address for a Gintama movie. (no sign yet though if it's LA or Sunrise-animated with them distributing)

Haven't really had anything to really say or do as of late with this thread but the bottom five really seems to show that the bottom 5 are mostly, aside from a fluke appearance of Bakuman, series from this year. With the end of the '09 publishing year coming up, that's not a good sign for any of them.

SameOld
October 18, 2009, 01:17 PM
If Shinigami's sixth or seventh from bottom, it's still in danger for the round of cuts after the next one. One thing's for sure, it won't be cut straight away like Chagecha and Meister were. Which in turn means Akaboshi and maybe Medaka are even more screwed than before. Unless Rilienthal fails really hard, the three mandatory cuts wil be pretty much defined.

Guess we'll the Golden Cup results only on wednesday, huh? Can't wait to see what I'll be rooting for next year. Or what I'll be bashing. :p

Finestela
October 18, 2009, 01:18 PM
Made a correction to the spoiler regarding Gintama (I was cooking lunch for my family when the spoiler was posted... and didn't look carefully enough :scry

And no, I didn't see Ko-neta posting anything about the result for Golden Future :s

BBB Banana
October 18, 2009, 01:44 PM
This is even better news seems like jump is advertising some of their best series.

[Cross]
October 18, 2009, 01:51 PM
lol, this time I'm more inclined to believe that there better be a Gintama Movie announcement by the end of November. Dammit Sunrise.

Crude
October 18, 2009, 02:21 PM
I'm one of those people who believe it to be a crime if a shounen series extends past 100 episodes and hasn't gotten a movie yet.

ruggia
October 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
November is Gintama month???
whats up with WSJ these days. is this going to go on and on?

Googlez_kun
October 18, 2009, 02:47 PM
i guess if this keeps on like this,than i am quite sure that naruto gets it's month this year as well!

Rejuvenation
October 18, 2009, 02:51 PM
Naruto doesn't need a month. This was already its 10th anniversary year and it got plenty of exposure throughout 2009.

I'd be happy if they keep pushing the other series that aren't Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece.

StrangerAtaru
October 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, Naruto got it's hype for the year and really doesn't need it now. (now a Jaguar binding for 2010 for it's 10th...that would be neat...sorry, just thinking out loud) But hey, Gintama month is fine by me.

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 03:18 PM
Not a fan of a month worth of color. Gintama is a great series, I'm a big fan but not enough that I need that much color. At least it's not the big three getting pimped, I can live a little more with the second tier. Still waiting for a Mago cover :p

I think this is the first time I'm looking forward to cuts. A lot of series I don't read are on the block, Medaka is the only thing I like that's in danger (not like it's a great series), and everything I like is safe.

wingman32x
October 18, 2009, 03:46 PM
Good to see Ane Doki elude the bottom 5 this week as well.

Medaka seems to be back in it's regular position. That sucks because I've really been enjoying it lately and I want it to do decent at least... I really hope that this escapes the axe but I'm not holding my breath.

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
Cancellations are probably set at this point: Akeboshi, Kagijin, and Medaka. If Wajimania goes, and by no means do I believe that is guaranteed, it will be the fourth cancellation. I don't believe it will save one of the other series.

Rainier
October 18, 2009, 04:37 PM
Awww, and there I thought Reborn! was special Dx

Meh, I'll just think that since our month was so successful (and the first one) they decided to do it with other mangas as well. Works for me!

SSJWill4
October 18, 2009, 05:42 PM
November is Gintama month???
whats up with WSJ these days. is this going to go on and on?

It may be that Shueisha is really trying to promote Reborn and Gintama into top tier series for when Naruto and Bleach make their exits from the magazine. Just a thought.

kewl0210
October 18, 2009, 07:12 PM
Seems Kagijin and Akaboshi aren't doing any better.
And I'm glad Wajimania is low where it belongs...

And great to see Gintama getting a month of colors. If I know Gintama they'll make some comment on it in the actual comics.

Bomber D Rufi
October 18, 2009, 08:00 PM
Seems Kagijin and Akaboshi aren't doing any better.
And I'm glad Wajimania is low where it belongs...

And great to see Gintama getting a month of colors. If I know Gintama they'll make some comment on it in the actual comics.

Yeah probably...I'm sure Sorachi is bitching up a storm. He seems to hate doing anything more than the norm, and now they've shoved a month of color down his throat. I've been to 2ch now, and no one has mentioned any scoops like Reborn, so I have to wonder if this is just a month of color for the hell of it....?

Though...I wonder what kinds of announcements Gintama would have for that matter...? The movie rumor suddenly starts to make sense though.

Negative Syndicate
October 18, 2009, 09:31 PM
If Gintama's movie was true, I hope Sorachi be part of making a movie.

Also Akaboshi and Medaka are low again, but I'm still surprise that they able to stay this long despite of being low ranking. Usually, the series with low ranking unlikely to reach 20 chapters. I'm feeling like the editors are taking little bit serious about Ohba's (well he's the one who is charge of plot-making) criticism on Jump's cancelation system.

http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/24/03/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/24/04/
http://www.onemanga.com/Bakuman/24/05/

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
The only reason they lasted so long is To Love Ru ending so suddenly. Jump didn't suddenly become Weekly Morning. There will be series canceled in November, there will be new series starting in December. Kagijin and Akeboshi are guaranteed to be canceled. Medaka will too, unless they decide there are not three new series ready to start serialization. Since that is not likely those three are almost as good as gone :)

Rejuvenation
October 18, 2009, 09:49 PM
The only reason they lasted so long is To Love Ru ending so suddenly. Jump didn't suddenly become Weekly Morning. There will be series canceled in November, there will be new series starting in December. Kagijin and Akeboshi are guaranteed to be canceled. Medaka will too, unless they decide there are not three new series ready to start serialization. Since that is not likely those three are almost as good as gone :)

Yeah, I don't believe Jump has decided to be any less cruel with the new series they bring in. Ok, I guess the pimping of Kuroko and Beelzebub may sway that slightly. Any new series that aren't those two are still just as vulnerable to death.

But really, I'll probably stop giving a shit about anything new that comes out from December onwards. Maybe I'll bother to pick one up when it lasts longer than a year or seems to be highly favored like Kuroko and Beelzebub.

Negative Syndicate
October 18, 2009, 09:59 PM

I don't think To Love-Ru's sudden ending and D.Gray-man's re-location saved Medaka and Akaboshi. Even To Love-Ru's ending, the editors can still axe either Medaka and Akaboshi or both, and put more new series in rather than two.

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'll always read new series. No harm in giving them a try. I haven't grown attached to anything new since Beelzebub. Beelze and Kuroko got pimped because they did really well right away. Double Arts eventually tanked anyways but it started in the top five and got some extra color and covers because of it. Mago got extra color early too.

kewl0210
October 18, 2009, 10:03 PM
Well, with Gintama's OVA being the highest selling this year, it's DVDs selling really well, and the anime even getting really good rankings:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-17/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-5-11

Maybe it'll get it's long idolized movie version.

That and this domain has been registered by the Japanese section of Warner Bros:
http://www.gintama-movie.com

So... whatever that means. Live action Japanese movie Gitnama???

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 10:05 PM
I don't think To Love-Ru's sudden ending and D.Gray-man's re-location saved Medaka and Akaboshi. Even To Love-Ru's ending, the editors can still axe either Medaka and Akaboshi or both, and put more new series in rather than two.

They can't axe something if there is nothing to replace them with. Only two series were judged ready for serialization, there was no need to cancel more as ToRa and DGM were leaving, so they didn't cancel anything. Somehow I don't think there is any reason to believe Jump has changed business practices in the last three months.

Xadyu
October 18, 2009, 10:13 PM
I tend to read everything from Jump (still catching up with older series, now reading Yugi, Ichigo 100%, Slam Dunk and Hoshin Engi), but I love to start new series of Jump.

I don't actually know why, but then again, I hate to see them end so quickly (cause almost all new series do.) Only new series I liked so far (of this year) was Meister, I loved it instantly after reading the first chapter, 9 chapters later it was finished. ;-;

Bokke-san was intresting, but not my thing, Hoopmen was great, I thought it just wasn't Jump-material, which is too bad, cause it could've gotten a long-run in another magazine.

For the rest of the series, I enjoy all of them while reading, but in the end, they aren't that good, in most cases, the best thing about them is the art, like Akaboshi, Beelzebub and Medaka, great art, mediocre manga. I never saw anything about Wajimania, but Shinigami and Rilienthal's art are also okay, I don't know about the story's tho'.

Just hope that Q4 2009 and 2010 bring us some better new manga's.

Kaiten
October 18, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm crossing my fingers Komi Naoshi is back and that Matsui never returns. He deserves a better magazine. I would die of happiness if he went to IKKI or Manga Erotics F. I'm smiling just thinking about what type of crazy, trippy, warped manga he could do there.

Negative Syndicate
October 18, 2009, 10:23 PM
Well, the fate for Medaka and Akaboshi are depending on how they going to sell their reprints, which I think they'll be releasing this week.

Xadyu
October 18, 2009, 10:29 PM
I'm crossing my fingers Komi Naoshi is back and that Matsui never returns. He deserves a better magazine. I would die of happiness if he went to IKKI or Manga Erotics F. I'm smiling just thinking about what type of crazy, trippy, warped manga he could do there.

Who's Matsui again? I only tend to memorize the first names of authors, so...

And I most definitely would like to see Komi back in action, I loved all of his work, he's a true genius. Let's hope he will be serialized for quite a while when he gets back.

Bomber D Rufi
October 18, 2009, 10:47 PM
Who's Matsui again? I only tend to memorize the first names of authors, so...

And I most definitely would like to see Komi back in action, I loved all of his work, he's a true genius. Let's hope he will be serialized for quite a while when he gets back.

Nougami Neuro's artist.

And Yeah I agree with Kaiten. He could do WONDERS in a non Shounen mag. Sure I'd never be able to read it, but I'd love to see him unleashed as it were.

I'd also like to see Sorachi in a seinen once Gintama ends.
[hr]

Well, with Gintama's OVA being the highest selling this year, it's DVDs selling really well, and the anime even getting really good rankings:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-10-17/japan-animation-tv-ranking-october-5-11

Maybe it'll get it's long idolized movie version.

That and this domain has been registered by the Japanese section of Warner Bros:
http://www.gintama-movie.com

So... whatever that means. Live action Japanese movie Gitnama???

Probably not live action, probably just distrubuted through WB. And there's no real indication that they're actually going to do it. It's just in case they FEEL like it. For now they're just taking time out to maybe register a site, just in case talks for it actually go through, and everyone wants to do a Gintama movie.

...Not that we'd see it in any non Asian country anyway....hell we've got to deal with CR and their crappy translations to see the anime regularly. Doubt anything extraneous like a LA movie will see the light of day here.

kewl0210
October 18, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yeah, well people would rip the DVDs and fansub them like they did with things like the live-action Death Note movies.

Anyway, we'll see if and what any announcements might be.

StrangerAtaru
October 19, 2009, 07:54 AM
I say Matsui goes seinen or at least Jump SQ by next year. He's too weird for conventional shonen from what I've seen of him.

Meanwhile, something that just came up in my head now: while we're talking about December/January being the end of stuff like Kagijin and Akaboshi, it will also be the 1st anniversary of Kuroko. Not really that bad a start for it...though the last sports series to make a year was P2...