PDA

View Full Version : Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30

KuwabaraTheMan
November 04, 2009, 11:16 PM
My feelings are that Naruto goes on until early 2011, just based on what is left to cover in the manga. I don't think Kishimoto is going to rush the ending.

I think he'll prove not to be a one-hit wonder, as well. Say what you will about Naruto, Kishimoto is a guy who comes up with a lot of ideas. I think he's proven that, and that will mean that he'll be able to develop another hit. I doubt he'll ever put out something quite as successful as Naruto again, but I do think that he'll succeed post-Naruto.

I also think you could make an argument that Kishimoto and Konomi created (and continue to create) series so massively successful and long running that they deserve to be inducted simply for Naruto and Prince of Tennis. I wouldn't say right away, but certainly eventually. It's the same argument that I think people would make for Morikawa and Aoyama, looking outside of Jump.

Digital_Eon
November 04, 2009, 11:25 PM
I think you are wrong. Dragonball(Z) made Manga popular worldwide. Naruto just surfed on the wave made by Toriyama.

I disagree. DBZ was very important for one generation, but it's Naruto that's sustaining that interest and bringing in new fans now that Dragonball has, well, ended. I remember watching DBZ as a child, but I don't even see it on TV anymore. Kids these days are wearing Naruto headbands; Naruto's got a ton of Shonen Jump covers (though Ichigo now has a lot, too <_<). Dragonball may have introduced people to manga and anime overseas (though it's hardly the only series to have done so), but it's not the series of today. And the market wasn't nearly as big back then.

Naruto has definitely had a huge influence on manga and manga fans - maybe not in Japan so much, but overseas for sure. The question is, does Japan care as much about a series' influence outside its borders? I kind of doubt it, personally. I don't think Naruto will get the recognition it deserves for influencing a new generation of fans the way it has (then again, knowing how obnoxious some of those fans can be... =P).

user216
November 05, 2009, 12:51 AM
i think luck also played part in overseas popularity;dragonball's reach was limited but naruto gained because it coincided with the rise of video streaming sites.

Kaiten
November 05, 2009, 01:04 AM
Any further posts about Naruto or Naruto's over seas popularity will be deleted.

Negative Syndicate
November 05, 2009, 07:33 AM
I found a cover for issue 50.

http://www.shueisha.co.jp/magazine/boyc/jpg/w_jump0533_h.jpeg

¬Bol
November 05, 2009, 08:38 AM
I think I'll read Neko Wappa, love this image.

Mr. Prince
November 05, 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the scans, Heiji-sama!

Funny how it's stated on the cover that Kuroko's CP is a reward for its BIG popularity...yeah, right.
And the "Naruto 10 Years Special Memorial Book"'s planning is "in progress".

For the new series, I'm kinda okay with Neko Wappa!. It definitely doesn't look like a "MUST READ!!!" series to me but I think I'll glimpse through it once there are 2 or 3 chaps out.
The preview for Asou's Kanata Seven Change looks kinda two-edged. While some pictures look really funny and cool others are just too plain...but I'm looking forward to it. :tem

Negative Syndicate
November 05, 2009, 10:03 AM
Seven Change is having 36 pages for its first chapter. Is it too short for chapter 1 of regular series?

Kaiten
November 05, 2009, 10:35 AM
Great art and toothpaste is an unstoppable combination. I don't care about the page count, it looks genius! I like the art for Neko, good or bad it is at least worth a try. Apparently Gintama is only taking a one week break from color.

Xadyu
November 05, 2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the scans, Heiji-sama!

Funny how it's stated on the cover that Kuroko's CP is a reward for its BIG popularity...yeah, right.
And the "Naruto 10 Years Special Memorial Book"'s planning is "in progress".

If I remember right, Kuroko's actually selling very good. So it might not be in a popular position in the ToC, it is in the Sales numbers.

Rejuvenation
November 05, 2009, 11:08 AM
Alright, now its been further cemented that I'm not reading Neko Wappa. Not that there was much chance of me budging to begin with.

If I remember right, Kuroko's actually selling very good. So it might not be in a popular position in the ToC, it is in the Sales numbers.

If that is their reason this time it makes me wonder what was the reason for the other 3 times it dropped to the bottom 5 and they gave it color pages. They should just let it bottom dwell like To Love Ru if its sales are going to nullify its poor rankings.

Seven Change is having 36 pages for its first chapter. Is it too short for chapter 1 of regular series?

He may not have needed 50 something pages to get it done. Sometimes new manga may start off with more or less than the 50-60 page range.

ruggia
November 05, 2009, 11:38 AM
I really like the ToC scans. I hope this continues :D
seems like mangakas of Ane Doki and Sket Dance are stressing with their works. I hope they don't kill themselves.

hmm I like the pics for Neko Wappa, although the other serie seems like its going to be really wacky. not sure if i'll like that one. the toothbrush throws me off.

Negative Syndicate
November 05, 2009, 01:31 PM
I just read the chapter 1 of Neko Wappa, and I really liked it. I hope it'll survive long.

Galactic Tomahawk
November 05, 2009, 02:28 PM
Some parts were a bit cringeworthy but otherwise it seemed decent.

Hard to say whether I see it succeeding but I don't really see it having to fight with any particular series either, so that may help it's chances.

ruggia
November 05, 2009, 03:45 PM
just read Neko Wappa.
it was pretty decent. seemed like the mangaka decided to put more action than the oneshot, but I'm not sure about doing well on WSJ. can't really say I like the actual chapter better than the oneshot.
it seemed more like a manga for other places like Shounen Sunday. its not JUMP-like, but its not original either.

Akiyama
November 05, 2009, 04:56 PM
If you want to talk about more about Neko Wappa then start a thread in the Shounen (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45) section, more posts about Neko in detail will be deleted.

Drmke
November 06, 2009, 10:42 AM
Neko Wappa looks....decent. I'll give it a try since every series deserves at least a try but doesn't look like something I'm gonna like. But I really hope its not as, for lack of a better word, silly as Rilienthal.

Also, Seven Changes looks like it might be pretty good.

Kaiten
November 06, 2009, 10:48 AM
All I ask of Neko is that it's silly! The art reminds me of something from the '50's. A nice, light hearted, old school shonen is what I'm hoping for. The preview of Asou's new series looks good. Nice to see two goofy looking series coming at once, Jump needs some more light, fun manga!

Drmke
November 06, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wouldn't mind silly if its done in an entertaining way. Rilienthal was just kinida stupid. As long as Neko's not like that, I'll probably be cool with it.

Kaiten
November 06, 2009, 11:12 AM
I did not care for Rilienthal either. What I'm hoping for something a little easier going, I find a lot of Jump series, not just the action series, to be to similar in mood. A few exceptions aside there are a lot of intense, high tempo manga in Jump. Something laid back to read every weekend would be nice.

As for Rilienthal I hear chapter 2 is an improvement. We'll see. Seeing as it will probably be canceled eventually I don't want to get attached but for the time being I will keep reading.

Negative Syndicate
November 06, 2009, 11:26 AM
Neko Wappa is kind of like Arale-chan in early chapter of Dragonball.

Googlez_kun
November 06, 2009, 11:33 AM
Neko Wappa is kind of like Arale-chan in early chapter of Dragonball.

you mean Dr.Slump no?

Negative Syndicate
November 06, 2009, 11:37 AM
you mean Dr.Slump no?

Yeah. Arale-chan is main character from Dr.Slump. I think both Arale and Tama are very similar from each other.

Googlez_kun
November 06, 2009, 11:43 AM
Yeah. Arale-chan is main character from Dr.Slump. I think both Arale and Tama are very similar from each other.

there was also a special DB chapter where Goku as a kid defeated one of the red ribbon army in the small town of the series Dr. Slump^^

anyway,i would like to read it,but there aren't any scanlations out,are there?

Negative Syndicate
November 06, 2009, 11:45 AM
there was also a special DB chapter where Goku as a kid defeated one of the red ribbon army in the small town of the series Dr. Slump^^

anyway,i would like to read it,but there aren't any scanlations out,are there?

Raw version of chapter 1 is out. But I'm not sure whether anyone going to translate it.

SameOld
November 06, 2009, 01:04 PM
Am I the only one who got a huge Gintama vibe from Seven Change's preview pics? Don't ask me why, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I looked at the pictures. Perhaps it's because the guy with the toothbrush kinda looks like Gintoki?

Kaiten
November 06, 2009, 10:01 PM
I got a Yusha Gaku vibe but that may just be me :/

Yasha Gaku's art definitely reminded me of Gintama :)

kewl0210
November 07, 2009, 04:59 AM
New Vomic's coming out. This month is the second batch of Toriko. Doing the Troll Kong arc.
http://vomic.shueisha.co.jp/trico/

Next month, December is gonna be Sket Dance.

Crude
November 07, 2009, 07:52 AM
Can't wait to see the Sket Dance vomic!

Josl
November 07, 2009, 08:02 AM
Can't wait to see the Sket Dance vomic!

Here a little preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5Ym4oMtlY

Rainier
November 07, 2009, 09:11 AM
What's a Vomic again?

A narrated manga?

Xadyu
November 07, 2009, 10:59 AM
A vomic is a Video Comic. Showing panels from the manga with narration, sound effects and voice-actors.

It's pretty nice actually, to bad they're subless. :p

Crude
November 07, 2009, 01:43 PM
Here a little preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF5Ym4oMtlY

Thanks! It was awesome, but short unfortunately. I wasn't so sure about the voices initially, but I'm really liking them now, though I always expected Switch's voice to sound a little "techy/computer-ish".

Finestela
November 08, 2009, 01:38 PM
Ko-neta:

436 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/11/09(月) 03:33:59 ID:CAMgV8If0
小ネタ
・51 わじまout
・ドベ5 めだか、黒、わじま、保健、PSY
・休 OP
・52巻頭 虜  C彼方、ジャガー、杉たん読切
・休 鰤

2009-51 Bottom 5
Psyren
Shinigami
Wajima (The End)
Kuroko
Medaka

One Piece on break

2009-52
Lead CP: Toriko
CP: Kanata (Asou new series), Jaguar, 1-hit (By Sugita Naoya, Author of Zan)
Bleach on break

◆ T.D.A ◆
November 08, 2009, 01:40 PM
Is CP suppose to be left blank?

Negative Syndicate
November 08, 2009, 01:41 PM
You didn't put other color pages.

CP: Kanata, Jaguar, One Shot

Hokenshitsu finally dropped to bottom 5, but Rilienthal escaped from bottom 5.

kewl0210
November 08, 2009, 01:42 PM
This is late, but it showed up:

小ネタ
・51 わじまout
・ドベ5 めだか、黒、わじま、保健、PSY
・休 OP
・52巻頭 虜  C彼方、ジャガー、杉たん読切
・休 鰤

Issue 51:
Wajima OUT
Bottom 5:
Psyren
Houkenshitsu no Shinigami
Wajima
Kuroko
Medaka

One Piece is off

52:
Cover: Toriko
Color: 彼方、ジャガー、杉たん読切
I dunno what the first one is... Second is Jaguar, third is a one shot by somebody I haven't heard of so I dunno how to write their name.
Bleach is off for a week.

Oh wait, you did this just as I was writing it. So yeah, you got it...
Good to see Toriko getting a cover.
I dunno WHY Bleach would need a break, not like anything ever happens in any one chapter...
And I'm glad Wajima's gone... it wasn't good. I hope these new series turn out better.
And Medaka's not looking good.
And I guess good news for fans of Rilienthal and Ane Doki.

ruggia
November 08, 2009, 01:43 PM
yey! waiting for this.
so Wajma FINALLY ended. I guess it was a false hype by the editors.
anyone have any idea what series will replace this? (bleach is on break too...)

Shinigami finally drops down, and Rilienthal escaped bottom????
now that interesting. maybe Rilienthal isn't going to be a failure.
so now that Kagijin and Akaboshi are gone, Medaka hits the bottom.

Kuroko is in the bottom. I guess another color page is on its way :p

Color: 彼方、ジャガー、杉たん読切
I dunno what the first one is... Second is Jaguar, third is a one shot by somebody I haven't heard of so I dunno how to write their name.
Bleach is off for a week.

Oh wait, you did this just as I was writing it. So yeah, you got it...

Kanata is the new series by mangaka of Yuusha Gaku.

Googlez_kun
November 08, 2009, 01:44 PM
when was the last time when Bleach was on a break?
well anyway
ane-doki not being in the bottom five makes me ahppy,but then there is medaka on the very last place:(

Rejuvenation
November 08, 2009, 01:44 PM
Ko-neta:

2009-51
Wajima (The End)

Bottom 5
Psyren
Shinigami
Wajima (The End)
Kuroko
Medaka

2009-52
Lead CP: Toriko
CP:
Bleach on break

Unexpected. I was not foreseeing Waji ending so soon. At least since it wasn't ranking as poorly as when it started.

Medaka in last place. This doesn't look good for it at all.

Kuroko back where it belongs. Hopefully it doesn't get another color page. Just let it sit where it belongs.

Shinigami drops down for the first time and Rilienthal actually clawed its way out. I was expecting both to be together.

I'm not all that worried about Psyren. It will probably bounce back next week.

Finestela
November 08, 2009, 01:47 PM
The CP line didn't show originally because there was something wrong with my FireFox's text coding... had to retype it for it to show up for some reason...

SameOld
November 08, 2009, 01:57 PM
Wajima (The End)

See, I told you. :p

Also, the editors FINALLY let Kuroko stay where it belongs for more than a single week. Here's hoping it stays there for a long time.

[Cross]
November 08, 2009, 02:10 PM
So long fairwell Wajima, Medaka plummeted, rather amusing, but it is safe for the time being. Rilienthal is my good news of the day, though we won't know for sure until we see its actual rank.

Finestela
November 08, 2009, 02:19 PM
The 1-shot's author is Sugita Naoya, the author of Zan... I've updated the post to reflect that (I didn't make the connection until just now :scry)

StrangerAtaru
November 08, 2009, 02:55 PM
Wajima is over...well some how it really should have been more shown to be crap sooner than how it has.

And don't get so comfy for a lower Kuroko: it's almost at a year...

KuwabaraTheMan
November 08, 2009, 02:57 PM
I hope Kuroko gets another color page just to piss off the people who keep throwing a fit every time it gets color pages. :p

Also, because it's a great series and I like seeing Jump reward series that are great.

SameOld
November 08, 2009, 03:21 PM
I hope Kuroko gets another color page just to piss off the people who keep throwing a fit every time it gets color pages. :p

Also, because it's a great series and I like seeing Jump reward series that are great.

Yeah, it's a great series. Look at how well it polls. :eyeroll

Digital_Eon
November 08, 2009, 03:22 PM
Haha, I guess we were all right about Waji being doomed after all. Very happy to know that.

So will there be no new series starting in the first editions of the new year (...in December)? That'd be a bit of a surprise. I guess it's not too late to cut something else, but... since two new series just started...

Rejuvenation
November 08, 2009, 03:41 PM
Wajima is over...well some how it really should have been more shown to be crap sooner than how it has.

If only it would be like a few other series and die after a year but Jump favors it too much. I think it could remain lower. Just because it reaches a year that doesn't automatically mean it will rise. People apparently aren't liking its recent chapters all that much.

Haha, I guess we were all right about Waji being doomed after all. Very happy to know that.

So will there be no new series starting in the first editions of the new year (...in December)? That'd be a bit of a surprise. I guess it's not too late to cut something else, but... since two new series just started...

Makes me laugh at that one arrogant line it had when it started. If something else comes along I'd imagine it would be another gag that replaces Wajimania.

It looks to me like they started earlier this year with the new series. So the next round of series may start earlier for 2010 as well. I doubt they would seriously wait even longer to start the next round.

It is more like keeping a weak series on life support. A shame other series weren't blessed with the blatant favoritism Kuroko has gotten since its debut.

Xadyu
November 08, 2009, 03:42 PM
I'm looking forward to the new work of Sugita Naoya, I really liked Zan. I felt bad it was cancelled back then.

Sad to see another series go though. Besides it's first color pages I haven't seen or heard anything about Wasshoi! Wajimania, but still..

Scanlations will probably never come now, will they? ;-;

KuwabaraTheMan
November 08, 2009, 03:46 PM

So, by this logic American Idol is one of the best TV shows of all time, and Firefly was garbage...

Popularity and quality don't always equate to one another.

SameOld
November 08, 2009, 03:49 PM
So, by this logic American Idol is one of the best TV shows of all time, and Firefly was garbage...

Popularity and quality don't always equate to one another.

But in Kuroko's case, its ToC placements reflect the quality very well.

Kaiten
November 08, 2009, 04:12 PM
Wait, last I checked Kuroko was not in every bottom five. If other series were held to the same standards Psyren, Sket Dance and Mago would have been canceled long ago, nothing that falls into the bottom five would ever deserve color except for series everyone (except me apparantly :/) likes that were almost always in the bottom five. Almost every series takes a turn in the bottom five, if everyone of them were penalized the only series that would deserve color would be Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, and Mago. Even Reborn and Gintama have been near the bottom in the last six months. I don't think everyone is annoyed that Kuroko gets color; I think they are annoyed that they don't like Kuroko and it is still thriving. I'm not a fan but I will be honest: except for Hoopmen it is a hell of a lot better than any of the 2009 series that were already canceled. As Ataru said: it's one year anniversary is about a month away. Kuroko is a part of the magazine, get used to it.

As for Waji: don't care, didn't read it. Wouldn't have cared if it had stayed either. Don't care about more new Jump series either. The only new series I care about is Yuki Urushibara's comeback later this month. (google her if you don't know who she is, she wrote one of the greatest manga of all time).

Rejuvenation
November 08, 2009, 04:20 PM
Kuroko colors
Issue 2-Debut
Issue 3-2nd chapter
Issue 12
Issue 14
Issue 18-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 24
Issue 26-Bottom 6 week before
Issue 37-38-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 44-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 47-Bottom 5 week before
Issue 50-Bottom 5 week before

The complaints aren't unjustified. What other series has gotten the majority of their color pages after ranking poorly? Imagine if something like Double Arts got this blatant level of favoritism. It would still be alive too. Only 2-3 of those colors(issues 12, 14, and maybe 24) could really be deserved. The former 2 before it began tanking.

Also Kuroko was in the bottom 5 consecutively for at least a month before yet Jump still saved it. It IS annoying when something like that happens while other series are left to fight on their own.

As for the new series, I don't plan on reading anymore of WSJ's cannon fodder for the time being. Maybe if something manages to establish itself I'll give it a try.

wingman32x
November 08, 2009, 04:23 PM
Yay! Ane doki rebounded after the terrible week it had last week. I knew it was going to happen, but it's still good to have it confirmed. Medaka took a dive this week. Idk about this one, with the other series gone nothing is preventing it from bottom dwelling. I don't want it to bottom dwell, but something tells me that is what's going to happen.

Galactic Tomahawk
November 08, 2009, 04:31 PM
Akaboshi taking down bad manga with it left and right.

Also glad to see Rilienthal may not be a lost cause.

Rejuvenation
November 08, 2009, 04:37 PM
The 2nd chapter wasn't all that great either so no surprise it ranked poorly last week. If Rilienthal does better with the 3rd chapter(This week's ranking) onwards it might have a shot. I don't know if Hokenshitsu is doing the opposite of Rilienthal or not but time will tell I guess.

Negative Syndicate
November 08, 2009, 04:49 PM
I'm kind of surprise Rilienthal increased this week because chapter 1~5 was not very much interesting, it started to get my attention in chapter 6 (beginning of ghost ship story).

Xadyu
November 08, 2009, 05:02 PM
I think it's a great series too. Well, it's still mediocre to where the scans are, but it's definitely not bad. The ToC doesn't mean shit, it's just how the certain Japanese people think who actually vote.

I don't disagree with the ToC almost everytime, I'm sure that goes for a lot of people. I'm not saying Kuroko is a top 5 series, because that isn't so (imo), WSJ has better series to offer at the moment.

Quality and Popularity don't mean the same things, especially not in Jump.

StrangerAtaru
November 08, 2009, 05:20 PM
When I said that about Kuroko, people, what I meant to say that a year = automatic color page. It has nothing to do with ranking or how good or bad it is, just that it's getting an automatic color page owed for it since it started at the time it did. It's not like it's getting a cover: Jump did away with that back in '08 for the most part.

user216
November 09, 2009, 01:55 AM
jump wants variety and they'll continue favoring a sports series. although i really liked double arts, there's too much competition in that genre;hoping his new work does better.

Maxy Barnard
November 09, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm looking forward to the new work of Sugita Naoya, I really liked Zan. I felt bad it was cancelled back then.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! I'm not the only person who liked Zan?!

What a good day to return!

xi0
November 09, 2009, 05:21 AM

LOL...I remember you going on and on about it a couple years ago. It had character, but I thought as a whole it lacked something.

Drmke
November 09, 2009, 10:34 AM
Wajima's gone. No shocker there. Don't really feel anything at all for it. Medaka is pretty low, it will probably end up going next round if it doesn't pull itself up soon. Shinigami tanks and rilienthal pulls outta the bottom...did not see that coming but good for the talking dog.

And Kuroko is low once again, its not a bad series; its interesting enough to where I'll read it when scans are available, but there is nothing that makes me just really like it like some other series. I honestly don't care if it stays or goes though I would love for another sports series to show up soon.

Crude
November 09, 2009, 12:10 PM
I hope Shinigami rises. From what I've seen its a pretty entertaining manga, not to mention it has an awesome art style. To be honest I haven't read Rilienthal yet so I can't tell why it ranked higher than Shinigami. Maybe I should read it now?

As for the Kuroko colour spread whoring, I'm not as offended as most people, but it definitely has more colour pages than it deserves. I'm not sure but I think Psyren and Sket Dance have ranked better than it recently, yet they haven't had as many colours as Kuroko. Mago hasn't either and its ranking has been great these past weeks.

kewl0210
November 09, 2009, 05:05 PM
It would seem Jump for the often ends the a bunch of mangas it plans to end on the last issues of the year. Anyone else noticed?
Akaboshi was issue 49, Kagijin was issue 50, Wajimania is 51...

Last year, Barihaken was canceled in 52 and Chagecha in 49.

They cancel other stuff at other parts of the year, but they do tend to have a lot at the end issues. End issues as in like 49-52, not actually end of the year which are like 1-5.

Xadyu
November 09, 2009, 06:22 PM

Of course! Zan was a great series, well, room of improvement was there, but it was still a great series. I was disappointed it got canceled so fast.

And Kuroko is low once again, its not a bad series; its interesting enough to where I'll read it when scans are available, but there is nothing that makes me just really like it like some other series. I honestly don't care if it stays or goes though I would love for another sports series to show up soon.

I have this feeling Kuroko might go when another sport series shows up and does well in the sales department and in the ToC.

It's an enjoyable read, it's not a great series, but it's not that bad either. But just like you I wouldn't mind if it stays or goes. But then again, I have that with a lot of Jump series at the moment. :p

Kaiten
November 09, 2009, 06:59 PM
It would seem Jump for the often ends the a bunch of mangas it plans to end on the last issues of the year. Anyone else noticed?
Akaboshi was issue 49, Kagijin was issue 50, Wajimania is 51...

Last year, Barihaken was canceled in 52 and Chagecha in 49.

They cancel other stuff at other parts of the year, but they do tend to have a lot at the end issues. End issues as in like 49-52, not actually end of the year which are like 1-5.

Generally all magazines like to introduce new series for issue 1. As the start of the fiscal year/new subscriber period they make sure something special is included. For Jump that means cancellations in the last few issues. Jump is relatively predictable the rest of the year; eight to ten weeks between new series. I've found most other anthologies are much more unpredictable.

Savi
November 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
is it going to start a new series next issue?

http://www.shonenjump.com/e/weeklyshonenjump/next.html

Kanata seven change ~ sound's good :D

kewl0210
November 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
Good news:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3945/wwwdotuporg350824.jpg

To be clear, that's V27 comes out 12/25 and re-serialization starts 1/4 in Jump combined issue 5-6 2010. So... there ya go. That rumor was right it seems.

ruggia
November 10, 2009, 03:29 PM
oh wow. Togashi is finally coming back already?
so how is this gonna work? I'm guessing the spot for Waji is going to be filled with something new in issue #1, so I'm assuming one of the current manga will get axed.
it seems like Medaka is the best candidate for now, unless Rilienthal or Hokenshitsu do really bad in the next few weeks.
hmm issue 4 is a bit too early for Neko Wappa to get axed right?

Drmke
November 10, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hunter x Hunter's back!! Hell ya!!!! lol Wajima is clearly not enough room for Hunter x Hunter so I'm pretty sure something else will get canceled. Probably Medaka Box if I had to guess right now.

Xadyu
November 10, 2009, 04:59 PM
Took him long enough to finish the Monster Hunter game! Tss, amateur.

But crap, now there's a reason why I have to get up-to-date with the crappy manga again.

T_____T

Maxy Barnard
November 10, 2009, 05:16 PM
took him long enough.... oh crap i'm genuinely excited.

*dances around*

Googlez_kun
November 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
took him long enough.... oh crap i'm genuinely excited.

*dances around*

btw. why was he on hiatus for so long?
was it an illness or something like that?

KuwabaraTheMan
November 10, 2009, 05:27 PM
Awesome news. The second best manga in Jump is coming back. I'll have to re-read the last batch of chapters in order to get prepared for this.

btw. why was he on hiatus for so long?
was it an illness or something like that?

Dragon Quest IX. :p

BBB Banana
November 10, 2009, 05:29 PM
If new chapters are coming out from issue 6 this means there's a possibility of new OVAs for Hunter x Hunter right?

Rejuvenation
November 10, 2009, 05:41 PM
*yawn*

Great, disappear for a year after 10 mediocre chapters like last time. Too bad Togashi can't move to a less frequent magazine if he doesn't want to write so much. I wish Jump would stop pampering him.

Crude
November 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
Togashi's back, but for how long? 10 chapters maybe? Anyway, I hope he finally ends the Chimera Ant arc just so we can get new OVAs.

kewl0210
November 10, 2009, 06:05 PM
It doesn't say for how long HXH is coming back for, but seeing as how the last 3 were all 10 chapters, probably 10 chapters. That's usually announced with the first issue of it.

wingman32x
November 10, 2009, 06:33 PM
haha so It's finally coming back, huh? Well, I don't read HXH but I'm happy for you guys! That hiatus must have sucked...

SSJWill4
November 10, 2009, 08:48 PM
HxH is back! Huzzah! :D

Kaiten
November 10, 2009, 08:50 PM
Hunter x Hunter's back!! Hell ya!!!! lol Wajima is clearly not enough room for Hunter x Hunter so I'm pretty sure something else will get canceled. Probably Medaka Box if I had to guess right now.

Neko replaces Akaboshi, Asou's series replaces Waji. Yusha Gaku was only about 14 or 15, the new one should be about the same. They won't cancel a third full length series for that. Hunter will fill the void Kagijin is leaving. I could be wrong but I think it will happen like that. I'm also guessing there will not be any new series in issue 1 - 4. HxH will probably last another 10 chapters with the next wave of new series coming when it leaves in March.

wingman32x
November 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
It doesn't say for how long HXH is coming back for, but seeing as how the last 3 were all 10 chapters, probably 10 chapters. That's usually announced with the first issue of it.

they announce in the mag when it's leaving again? I don't really understand that.

kewl0210
November 10, 2009, 10:24 PM
Usually in the first issue of each group of 10 it says something like "will continue like this for 10 weeks" or "from this issue will appear for 10 consecutive issues" in the insert texts along with "serialization finally resumed!" and other such things they put in their popular series. You can check the old scanlations or old issue raws if you want.

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
Where's mago?

ruggia
November 11, 2009, 08:39 AM
wow.. Rilienthal is so high... almost too high to make me wonder if its just a hype by the editors.

and yeah, where IS mago?

[Cross]
November 11, 2009, 08:49 AM
What the hell, Rilienthal is really high considering it's previous ranking. For a new series to spike like that, it's pretty insane, it broke the top 5.

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 08:56 AM
Mago number three, two words: fucking awesome

StrangerAtaru
November 11, 2009, 09:12 AM
The Lillenthal situation is just unknown now: is this editor hype just due to the end of Wajimania or something else? All that we really know is that...well, Mago's recent winning streak better be noticed by someone so we can get an anime sometime in 2010, whether Spring or Fall.

Googlez_kun
November 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
i somehow miss ane-doki there .__.

Mr. Prince
November 11, 2009, 09:59 AM
Inumaru dashi's and Rilienthal's position is the other way around. In the Japanese spoiler this was implied by the small "tsu" (いぬっ) which is the same as in Inumaru dashi (いぬまるだしっ)

As for Ane-doki, it's sandwiched between Sket Dance and Bakuman.
Also, found this piece here over at 2ch (Preview for SWOT):
http://img101.imagevenue.com/loc378/th_51465_Swot_122_378lo.jpg (http://img101.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=51465_Swot_122_378lo.jpg)

It's Takagi from Bakuman...lol.

ruggia
November 11, 2009, 10:16 AM
Inumaru dashi's and Rilienthal's position is the other way around. In the Japanese spoiler this was implied by the small "tsu" (いぬっ) which is the same as in Inumaru dashi (いぬまるだしっ)

oh that explains a lot (i knew someone was going to get confused eventually :p)
so Rilienthal is not in the top 5, but still thats a huge improvement from last time.

Negative Syndicate
November 11, 2009, 10:21 AM
So, actually Rilienthal is in middle, not top 5. However, it doesn't mean it is safe. Possibly Rilienthal is just having one good week, like Akaboshi. So, if Rilienthal drops back to bottom 5 on next week, it is still in danger.

Drmke
November 11, 2009, 10:28 AM
Mago once again does amazing! Rilienthal goes up a considerable amount. I was about to crap myself when I thought it was in the top five lol. Bakuman and Psyren are sadly too low :( hope they go back up next week.

Neko replaces Akaboshi, Asou's series replaces Waji. Yusha Gaku was only about 14 or 15, the new one should be about the same. They won't cancel a third full length series for that. Hunter will fill the void Kagijin is leaving. I could be wrong but I think it will happen like that. I'm also guessing there will not be any new series in issue 1 - 4. HxH will probably last another 10 chapters with the next wave of new series coming when it leaves in March.

I was thinking that since next week they are resuming running more oneshots that they would need extra room to continue putting them in, but I guess with Hunter x Hunter back, oneshots will stop running for a little while longer which is unfortuante cause I really enjoy seeing them.

Rejuvenation
November 11, 2009, 10:53 AM
Rilienthal rose up further to the middle than I was expecting. I thought it might just barely be out of the bottom 5.

Mago is still sticking to high places. I'd love if it kicked Bleach out of that number 2 spot this week while it was at it. I'd have loved to see Toriko a bit higher as well.

It looks like ane doki managed to recover a little bit from its fall last week though it could plummet again next week for all we know.

Kaiten
November 11, 2009, 11:43 AM
The Lillenthal situation is just unknown now: is this editor hype just due to the end of Wajimania or something else? All that we really know is that...well, Mago's recent winning streak better be noticed by someone so we can get an anime sometime in 2010, whether Spring or Fall.

There is a drama CD coming out in December, so there is a good chance Mago will get one of Jump's next anime. After Tegami Bachi's anime turned out to be such a disaster I am a little skittish. I'd like to see a really good studio attached before I watch. Same goes to Sket, though I have a feeling J.C. Staff will animate which would be fine with me.

I was thinking that since next week they are resuming running more oneshots that they would need extra room to continue putting them in, but I guess with Hunter x Hunter back, oneshots will stop running for a little while longer which is unfortuante cause I really enjoy seeing them.

Forgot about the one shots. Yeah, that's the space HxH fills.

Asô Shûichi /Shinseiki Idol Densetsu - Kanata Seven Change - Girochin no Masaosensei (New Series, 36 Pages, & Color)
Naruto
Bleach
Nurarihyon no Mago
Neko Wappa (29 Pages & Color)
Inumaru
Reborn
Beelzebub
Gintama
Toriko
Kashikoi Ken Rilienthal
Kochi Kame
Sket Dance
Ane Dokî
Bakuman
Psyren
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Wasshoi! Waji Mania (End)
Kuroko no Basket
Medaka Box
Jaguar
One Piece (Absent)

However you look at it, Rilienthal had a pretty good third week. I would hate to start comparing it's performance to Akaboshi after three chapters. That is just kind of mean. Rising out of the bottom five after three chapters is pretty good, I think. If it falls back down, to bad, but rebounding this early is still pretty impressive. I'm curious about chapter three now :tem

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 12:01 PM
There is a drama CD coming out in December, so there is a good chance Mago will get one of Jump's next anime. After Tegami Bachi's anime turned out to be such a disaster I am a little skittish. I'd like to see a really good studio attached before I watch. Same goes to Sket, though I have a feeling J.C. Staff will animate which would be fine with me.

Agree with you kaiten, the anime is a disaster. Although I think it's not entirely studio pierrot's fault. Tegami Bachi's style is just hard to transfer into anime. I really hope Mago would get either Sunrise, Bones, Toei Animation, or Production I.G. I especially hope it would be with Bones or I.G., although I know that's impossible. But hey, a man can dream.

Estranho
November 11, 2009, 12:23 PM
Kaiten, in the fixed ToC there are two Rilienthals.

Fixed ^^

KuwabaraTheMan
November 11, 2009, 01:37 PM

Spring 2010 is way too early for a Mago anime. Fall, maybe, but generally receiving an anime in two years is for massive hits. I would guess that Spring 2011 would be more likely for an anime, although I wouldn't rule out a fall debut.

Sket Dance and Toriko are more likely to get anime in 2010, I think.

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 02:34 PM
Mago is bigger than Sket and only a bit smaller than Toriko, it's very reasonable for it to get an anime in 2010.Even to love and neuro only took two year to got an anime

[Cross]
November 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
Mago is bigger than Sket and only a bit smaller than Toriko, it's very reasonable for it to get an anime in 2010.Even to love and neuro only took two year to got an anime

However, looking at it from an anime point of view, a school life/slice of life series would generally look more profitable than a battle manga, unless your name is bleach/naruto/one piece. However Mago does have a distinct style, so it is rather close. Toriko should be the first in line for an anime, seeing as it received an OVA already. So it's mainly between Sket and Mago (since they'll both at least have Drama CDs out), as it's very unlikely that they will both be picked in the near future. It'll probably be in Fall 2010, Spring seems too early.

Kaiten
November 11, 2009, 03:57 PM
>.< I don't think tankobon sales have anything to do with exactly what time of year and how close to two years a manga needs to be out for it's anime to start. Really, isn't April and October only six months. Someone at a studio probably isn't using sales as a deciding factor as to something as petty as to weather to start Mago 2 years and 1 months after it's manga debut or 2 years and 7 months. They would be more concerned with if beginning production in time to debut a new series in the spring would interfere with work on another series, if an animation team is ready to begin work, etc. If tankobon sales had anything to do with an anime being licensed small magazine series like K - On! would not be adapted and really big series like Kimi ni Todoke wouldn't go three years without adaption (yes, Kimi is bigger than anything in Jump except the big three and HxH). The studios license series based on what they want to work on and feel is a marketable property, weather the manga itself is popular or not.

KuwabaraTheMan
November 11, 2009, 05:03 PM

To-Love-Ru was an ecchi series, meaning it had a built in audience already. As for Neuro, it received an anime in October, during a period where there were almost no Jump series available to animate. Mago has come at a point where Jump has actually had some bigger successes. I don't think it will get an anime until 2011.

Mago may be bigger than Sket Dance, but Sket Dance has a few things going for it. It's been running longer (meaning there is more material to animate), and it also is a style of series that tends to be popular in anime.

Toriko is both bigger than Mago, and it's a series with a better chance of being a hit as an anime.

Xadyu
November 11, 2009, 05:31 PM
Not to forget that Toriko already has an anime special. The last Shueisha series to get an anime special got an anime tv series the next year. (Meaning Letter Bee).

Toriko is most likely the next one to get animated, although my choice goes out to Sket Dance.
Mainly because I want to see things after the scans stopped and since it's a great series with more to animate.

Toriko would get uptodate rather quickly, leading to fillers which will make the anime's quality drop for a lot of people (not me, I don't mind fillers).

They could of course, make smaller seasons. Giving it two 13-ep seasons a year. Or just one 26-ep per year.

Which means the quality will be better too, since ongoing anime's (for example the top three, Gintama, Reborn and such) have lower budgets per episode. And other series have a higher budget making the animation and such better (most of the times).

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 05:51 PM
Reborn, gintama and D.gray anime all debuted at the same year.They all got anime after two years of publication and this is before they become as big as they are right now. Most successful jump series usually took two years to got animated. Even One Piece, Naruto and Bleach wasn't as big as they are now when they are animated. Oh and also, Bleach rating is usually only about 4-5%. It rarely make top ten.
This is Gintama, Reborn and D.Gray's debut date:
Gin:April 4, 2006
Reborn:October 7, 2006
D.Gray:October 3, 2006
They could air Sket Dance first and then air Mago and Toriko with a really close debut dates

Kaiten
November 11, 2009, 06:09 PM
I'm not understanding this debate?! Most likely Sket Dance, Mago, and Toriko will all have anime next year. The first two have had drama CD's, not a guarantee of an anime, but a crucial first step. Toriko has a pilot. All were timed to preview 2010 anime. Does it really matter which one starts in the spring, which one in the fall? Is there some doubt that one won't get an anime? Or have to wait until 2011? Fill me in, I don't get it.

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 06:25 PM
I'm not understanding this debate?! Most likely Sket Dance, Mago, and Toriko will all have anime next year. The first two have had drama CD's, not a guarantee of an anime, but a crucial first step. Toriko has a pilot. All were timed to preview 2010 anime. Does it really matter which one starts in the spring, which one in the fall? Is there some doubt that one won't get an anime? Or have to wait until 2011? Fill me in, I don't get it.

I have no doubt that all three will have an anime next year. Sket and Toriko's case has been stated. With Mago, seeing how it's at it's biggest arc and the fact that it's popularity right now is at it's highest, next year would be the best time to animated Mago. And that notion about battle manga other than the big three is not successful is very wrong. Kuroshitsuji, Kekkaishi, FMA are all very successful as anime

[Cross]
November 11, 2009, 06:30 PM
Reborn, gintama and D.gray anime all debuted at the same year.They all got anime after two years of publication and this is before they become as big as they are right now. Most successful jump series usually took two years to got animated. Even One Piece, Naruto and Bleach wasn't as big as they are now when they are animated. Oh and also, Bleach rating is usually only about 4-5%. It rarely make top ten.
This is Gintama, Reborn and D.Gray's debut date:
Gin:April 4, 2006
Reborn:October 7, 2006
D.Gray:October 3, 2006
They could air Sket Dance first and then air Mago and Toriko with a really close debut dates

The mistake you're making is that you're comparing different time periods. Of course that's easier with manga, but with anime it's a whole different ballpark. In 2006-2007, there were way more anime debuting than any other time in the decade and because of recent economic issues and the stabilization of torrenting/fansubbing, anime is much less profitable, so there are less series coming out. So you can't compare anime now to anime in the past, too much has happened to change the whole field. I so think it's unlikely for three Jump series to debut in the same season. It may have passed in 2006-2007, but not anymore. But I agree with Kaiten, when they will come out seems to be up for debate which is ultimately a moot point, because we know that they may all be animated eventually.

And that notion about battle manga other than the big three is not successful is very wrong. Kuroshitsuji, Kekkaishi, FMA are all very successful as anime

That was only in relation to Jump >.>

Koshi_Inaba
November 11, 2009, 06:38 PM
;1671765']The mistake you're making is that you're comparing different time periods. Of course that's easier with manga, but with anime it's a whole different ballpark. In 2006-2007, there were way more anime debuting than any other time in the decade and because of recent economic issues and the stabilization of torrenting/fansubbing, anime is much less profitable, so there are less series coming out. Therefore, it's extremely unlikely for three Jump series to debut in the same season. It may have passed in 2006-2007, but not anymore.

That was only in relation to Jump >.>

Reborn, D.Gray and Gintama are all succesful in their own right. Eyeshield 21 anime, despite sucking so much is also successful.Slice of life series are actually not that successful in term of rating compare to battle mangas. Slice of life unless it's a long runner like Doraemon, Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko, are hardly that successful. Anime profits from rating and merchandise, from what i see from rating result and DVD sales, it's actually quite constant. If Mago is to be animated in 2011, it means at that time it will passed 150 chapters, which is very unlikely. Successful battle manga in Jump are usually animated before they reached 100 or reached around 101+, but never that long.

kewl0210
November 11, 2009, 10:25 PM
Most of those animes started around 125 chapters. If Toriko gets an anime next year it would be around there, too.

And it could have filler arcs, really. And they would fit in fine.
But when a TV anime gets made isn't clear really. Could be a year after next or something, too. But it definitely does well enough to get one.
Mago may, too.

KuwabaraTheMan
November 11, 2009, 10:30 PM
Reborn, D.Gray and Gintama are all succesful in their own right. Eyeshield 21 anime, despite sucking so much is also successful.Slice of life series are actually not that successful in term of rating compare to battle mangas. Slice of life unless it's a long runner like Doraemon, Sazae-san, Chibi Maruko, are hardly that successful. Anime profits from rating and merchandise, from what i see from rating result and DVD sales, it's actually quite constant. If Mago is to be animated in 2011, it means at that time it will passed 150 chapters, which is very unlikely. Successful battle manga in Jump are usually animated before they reached 100 or reached around 101+, but never that long.

Anime don't profit from ratings at all. Unlike many other countries, in Japan the studios actually pay the networks to air the shows. Ratings don't affect the actual profit in any way. They tend to result in larger exposure, which correlates with better DVD sales and merchandise sales, but ratings themselves don't result in profit.

Anime studios make the biggest portion of their money from DVD sales (why do you think anime DVDs are so ridiculously overpriced). Merchandise is also a big profit maker, but in the case of a show adapted from a manga, I would guess that the original license holder (in Jump's case, Shueisa) would get the majority of the profit.

Battle manga tend to be very popular and result in lots of toys and video games and the like. While slice of life series aren't as popular with kids, they pander to more of an otaku audience, and generally get better DVD sales. They also sell more in the way of otaku type merchandise (PVC figures and things like that).

As far as your latter point, Naruto took three years to get animated. Would you consider that a 'successful battle manga'? It was closing on 150 chapters when the anime started. Bleach actually took over 3 years (manga started in August of 2001, Anime started in October of 2004).

Kaiten
November 11, 2009, 10:42 PM
This conversation is veering off topic. Any further comments in regards to how long it takes for a manga to be adapted into an anime will be deleted, no exceptions. If anyone is interested in continuing this conversation, please start a thread in the Otaku Theater. (http://mangahelpers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=279) Thread starters are always welcome ;)

Crude
November 12, 2009, 06:33 PM
So what's Asou's new series about? Idols and toothpaste?

[Cross]
November 12, 2009, 06:41 PM
It looks a little more like a comedy duo to me, there's the tsukkomi and the boke. Or it could be an idol and his manager.

ruggia
November 13, 2009, 12:27 AM
To me, it just seemed like a gag manga, but longer.
It's just full of gags and comedy. I'm a bit disappointed by Jump's lineup this year.

StrangerAtaru
November 13, 2009, 03:23 PM
To me, it just seemed like a gag manga, but longer.
It's just full of gags and comedy. I'm a bit disappointed by Jump's lineup this year.

Unless another series surprises us (or Ane Doki pulls what Hatsukoi did in "it was meant to be short from the start"), the only real guarantee of the year serieswise seems to be Beezlebub (and even that's rather volatile as of late). Kuroko will make a year at this point but it's hard to say if it will survive through 2010 and some of the newer series are still too early to really say...the rest will probably eventually fade away into the annals of history.

ruggia
November 13, 2009, 03:43 PM
by the way, I was wondering, will Psyren make it through next year?
with the lagging popularity and not-so-good tank sales, I'm pretty skeptical about Psyren surviving 2011, but then, lagging new series could help Psyren live through it..... whats "expert opinion" on this?

KuwabaraTheMan
November 13, 2009, 05:48 PM
Unless another series surprises us (or Ane Doki pulls what Hatsukoi did in "it was meant to be short from the start"), the only real guarantee of the year serieswise seems to be Beezlebub (and even that's rather volatile as of late). Kuroko will make a year at this point but it's hard to say if it will survive through 2010 and some of the newer series are still too early to really say...the rest will probably eventually fade away into the annals of history.

Kuroko's sales increased again with the latest volume, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

I think that those two will be the only real hits from this year, but I can see Ane Doki sticking around for a little while.

y A M A T O
November 13, 2009, 06:03 PM
by the way, I was wondering, will Psyren make it through next year?
with the lagging popularity and not-so-good tank sales, I'm pretty skeptical about Psyren surviving 2011, but then, lagging new series could help Psyren live through it..... whats "expert opinion" on this?

To me, Psyren got the best developed storyline among all mangas in Jump. It is the one that really surprises me every week, even more than old series like Naruto or One Piece, or new series like Bakuman or Beelzebub. It's a perfect shonen manga:
1) it has its own subject (OP: pirates, Naruto: ninjas, Bleach: shinigamis, Psyren: psychichers, simple and clear. It is not a common school life manga, for example)
2) an original, strong storyline (saving the world through time travels)
3) there is plenty of bad-ass characters (Miroku :p)
4) it's exciting, the most important point.

Obviously it's my personal point of view, if I were the chief editor I'd treat Psyren like Kuroko!

Negative Syndicate
November 13, 2009, 09:32 PM
Looks like 2000 era for Shonen Jump is coming to an end. It started with part 6 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Issue 1 of 2000), and ended with Kanata Seven Change (Issue 51 of 2009).

Jump had experieced both rise and downfall in 90s. So, I want to know how everyone thought about overall for Jump in 2000s.

And, I want to know everyone's recommendation for Jump on upcoming 2010s.

ruggia
November 14, 2009, 05:24 AM
To me, Psyren got the best developed storyline among all mangas in Jump. It is the one that really surprises me every week, even more than old series like Naruto or One Piece, or new series like Bakuman or Beelzebub. It's a perfect shonen manga:
oh, Psyren is a great manga. I love it, but I'm wondering about its current chance of survival to last another year....

Looks like 2000 era for Shonen Jump is coming to an end. It started with part 6 of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Issue 1 of 2000), and ended with Kanata Seven Change (Issue 51 of 2009).

Jump had experieced both rise and downfall in 90s. So, I want to know how everyone thought about overall for Jump in 2000s.

And, I want to know everyone's recommendation for Jump on upcoming 2010s.

isn't it a bit too early for "farewell 2000's"? its only November ;)....

anyway, I'm not too familiar with manga before 1990s, so I don't know too much about the past, but I think 2000s was pretty good.
Death Note was probably the most notable(although I don't like it that much personally), along with others like Bleach.
for romance/ecchi there were Ichigo100% and TLR, and sports, there were Prince of Tennis and ES21.
its interesting how there's lot of success on first half, while the second half was a bit lagging.
I would like to think artwork in 1990s are pretty different from ones in 2000s in style, but its probably just me.
Bakuman, Ichigo 100%, and Double Arts are my favorites among 2000s for me.

v3g374
November 14, 2009, 07:45 AM
'90s was dominated by Dragonball and Slam Dunk. Now we have One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and a whole bunch of series which are already ended. 2000 era was good in my opininon. I hope 2010 era will be dominated by One Piece and Toriko.

ruggia: Next issue will be #52 which is the last issue for 2009. (Ok there will be a #53 but thats different.) So era 2000 is pretty much ended by now.

StrangerAtaru
November 14, 2009, 10:42 PM
To tell the truth, its sort of hard to say that DB was a true 90s series...sure it had it's biggest popularity in that decade but it started in the 80s and was at it's creative peak in that decade. Slam Dunk I can't really argue with but considering how many amazing and important Jump series came out of the 90s (YYH, Ninku, Nube, Kenshin, Houshin Engi, Masaru-kun, I''s, YGO, even OP, HxH and Naruto if you think about it), it wasn't just those two.

As for this ending decade...I think the biggest problem that we're going to have is that essentially it will be known for four series: the "big 3" (OP & Naruto, which both came from the 90s but found themselves in this decade now ending in Jump...and Bleach, which actually is from this decade) and Death Note. Some of what they've provided in this now-ending decade is important but somehow it just is going to obscure what else we got out of the 2000s Jumpwise. From brilliant genre-defying comedies (Jaguar, Bo-bobo, Gintama, Sket Dance) to some new takes on the Jump of lore (Reborn, Black Cat, Buso Renkin, Toriko); from some great sports action (Mr. Full Swing, ES21) to weird new directions in shonen (D.Gray-man, Psyren, Neuro, Muhyo, Bakuman) and even an ecchi here or there (Ichigo 100%, To-Love), it was for the most part a diverse and interesting decade. I just worry for the most part that all people will remember are four series...

Negative Syndicate
November 14, 2009, 11:34 PM
I found another rumor from 2ch. There was some debate going on (I think), so I want to know how other people think about it.

494 名前: ◆sx79hQuTYc 投稿日: 2009/11/12(木) 22:35:24 ID:NcjuQuI2
ひっそりとパピコ。
・新連載・終了予定。
新連載はハンタが5・6号から10週連続掲載と、7号から村田稲垣のお菓子職人漫画。
2号でいぬまるだし終了、3・4号でめだかボックス終了。
それまでの巻頭・表紙予定。
52号で銀魂表紙トリコ巻頭。53号でぬらりひょんが巻頭&表紙。
1号がワンピー表紙&巻頭、2号がナルト表紙黒子巻頭、3・4号が全員集合表紙でナルト巻頭。
5・6号は表紙とセンターカラーがハンタで、巻頭はブリーチ。

Next new series: HxH on Issue 5・6 (going to last 10 chapters), and return of Eyeshield duo on Issue 7 (going to be manga about confectionery)
Series going to be out: Inumaru on Issue 2, and Medaka on Issue 3・4

Issue 52: Gintama (Cover), Toriko (CP) (We already know)
Issue 53: Nurarihyon (Cover, CP)
Issue 1: One Piece (Cover, CP)
Issue 2: Naruto (Cover), Kuroko (CP)
Issue 3・4: Every series on cover, Naruto (CP)
Issue 5・6: HxH (Cover, CP), Bleach (CP)

Galactic Tomahawk
November 14, 2009, 11:50 PM
Sounds very plausible to me, but as always you need to wait and see how these things play out.

Issue 53 isn't an especially obvious guess (even with Mago's recent popularity), so if they're right on that, I think there's a decent chance at least some of it is true.

Negative Syndicate
November 14, 2009, 11:54 PM
Issue 53 isn't an especially obvious guess (even with Mago's recent popularity), so if they're right on that, I think there's a decent chance at least some of it is true.

If Mago's color is true, it must be meant for result of popular character poll.

Galactic Tomahawk
November 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
That would sound about right.

On the 5-6 thing, I could see that happening just because this is Togashi we're talking about, and whatever your opinion on him might be Jump has shown they're more than willing to make exceptions for him.

KuwabaraTheMan
November 15, 2009, 12:18 AM
Interesting rumor. It doesn't have Komi returning, which is always the #1 sign of a completely fake rumor, so it's possible. I'd like to see the Eyeshield duo return again.

Having another round of cuts so soon would be rather odd, though.

Christmas double Jump and New Year double jump, cover it's always Every series on cover. so #05-06 too, there is Every series on cover. so...fake ?

It could just mean that Gon is at the front and center of it?

[Cross]
November 15, 2009, 12:21 AM
Going from Football to sweets? The thought of that makes me cringe and chuckle at the same time. It would be interesting how such a subject would be handled by the two.

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 12:40 AM
That post seems false. As Heiji said, doubles are usually group covers with OP getting lead color. Sometimes HxH gets the cover for return, sometime not. I at least expect center color. What really bugs me is this is the first time in two years spoilers for six straight cover/color has come out at once. As a longtime member of the LJ and this thread my bullshit detector is going off. Almost definitely a fake.

Bomber D Rufi
November 15, 2009, 01:04 AM
It's kind of annoying that for a 'Gintama month' the series didn't really get anything as nice as Reborn did. I mean the movie announcement was awesome and all, but was that really it?

Or were there more announcements that no one is talking about...?

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 01:15 AM
I have not heard anything, or seen any posts at ANN like Reborn got. It seems Sorachi skimped on the color too; last week Gintama was not ranked but didn't have color.

Magicoreo
November 15, 2009, 01:23 AM
Eyeshield 21 duo seems likely but noo way.
I mean, as a fan of their work, I'm really excited to hear about this but it seems unlikely, no?
Still, I'm happy that they're even mentioned.

SSJWill4
November 15, 2009, 01:43 AM
Christmas double Jump and New Year double jump, cover it's always Every series on cover. so #05-06 too, there is Every series on cover. so...fake ?

Not saying I believe the rumor (covers to many issues to be true imo), but Issue 37/38 of 2004 featured just Naruto on the cover and 3/4 of 2003 was just Eyeshield 21, so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

ruggia
November 15, 2009, 02:56 AM
Inmaru out too? MB sounds plausible, but I thought Inumaru was a new gag-hit, and had pretty good popularity (think I heard its tanks sold well).
I'm not believing this till its confirmed.

Estranho
November 15, 2009, 08:35 AM
(think I heard its tanks sold well).
Maybe I'm wrong, but its sales is the worst of the magazine.

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
Sales are not something you rank. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,9,10. That is not how business works. Gag always sells less. It just does. There is less demand. The publishers understand this. Shueisha probably does not even compare one series sales to the next. As long as a series is profitable enough it does not matter if it sells 40,000 copies or 1,000,000. Oricon rankings are something fun for the readers, until we can tell if Shueisha is making money off a series the rankings are easily misleading or taken out of context.

Can everyone please remember the cancellations are just rumors and most likely false ones. Inumaru and Medaka Box have not been canceled, most likely will not be canceled. Putting to much thought into it is probably a waste of every ones time. The bottom five will probably be out in a few hours with confirmation.

Mr. Prince
November 15, 2009, 11:24 AM
808 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/11/16(月) 01:18:46 ID:/JgeeBmM0
小ネタ
・52ドベ6 姉、保健、爆、べるぜ、ジャガー、犬
・53巻頭OP特別編<本編もアリ
 C銀、ぬらり<重大発表予告

Bottom 6:
Rilienthal
PTF! Jaguar (CP)
Beelzebub
Bakuman
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Ane-doki

Preview for #53
Opening Color for OP's special chapter; There's a regular chapter as well!
CP for Gintama and Nurarihyon no Mago [<- IMPORTANT announcement]

ruggia
November 15, 2009, 11:28 AM
speak of the devil! its here!

ouch. Ane Doki doesn't look good (its actually THE last place.... without Jaguar :p)
Hokenshitsu is at the bottom, I have a feeling it will stay there.
Rilienthal joins the bottom again....

and regular chap AND chap 0 for OP? wow. Oda is working hard.
Mago announcement.....an anime?

EDIT: and Medaka's not there. thats wow. its first time in like....7 weeks!

Googlez_kun
November 15, 2009, 11:29 AM
Ane-Doki,Beelzebub and Bakuman so low???:bored

looking forward to the OP chapter and the color

BBB Banana
November 15, 2009, 11:30 AM
What a botom 5. Medaka rose above it. rilienthal feel again and ane doki is pretty bad.

And also OMFG isn't this belzebub first time in botom 5 O.o?

Rejuvenation
November 15, 2009, 11:33 AM
^No, its been in the bottom 5 before.

Bottom 6:
Rilienthal
PTF! Jaguar (CP)
Beelzebub
Bakuman
Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Ane-doki

Preview for #53
Opening Color for OP's special chapter; There's a regular chapter as well!
CP for Gintama and Nurarihyon no Mago [<- IMPORTANT announcement]

Medaka finally escapes the bottom 5 again. \o/ Last time was in Issue 46. If this can mark a turning point I'll be happy. Especially since this is also going to be right before the plot comes up.

Ane-doki dropped to the bottom this time though and Hokenshitsu seems to be crashing down now too. Rilienthal seems to have come down as well. I'm wondering if it can rise again.

A bad week for Beelzebub(I want to check which chapter this was) and Bakuman fluctuates again.

I'm down for OP's special chapter and Mago color. I'm interested in Mago's announcement as well.

[Cross]
November 15, 2009, 11:35 AM
What an awkward bottom 5, Rilienthal might become a wild card, but at least it's doing better than Shinigami. Mago is getting an announcement, quite interesting.

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 11:50 AM
Wow, Medaka escapes for a week. With two mid tier series dropping it could be back down next week. Bakuman and Beelze will most likely rise next week. Chapter 19 of Ane Doki gave me this ending soon feeling, it wouldn't surprise me if it is the next out. No mention of Inumaru or Medaka ending, I'm assuming the earlier post was fake. It would not surprise me if Mago is getting an anime announcement. April anime would have to begin production now to be ready to air.
[hr]
While not as much fun as the bottom five, volume 2 of Volume 2 of Dr. Slump (http://offtopia.11.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=110&sid=66fc7cfe0ea58a161489e095dc296d5a) was released today. Nice new translation and a group that may see it to the end this time. Definitely worth reading!

y A M A T O
November 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
bakuman so low.... O_O

kewl0210
November 15, 2009, 01:53 PM
Bakuman and Beelzebub seem to be the only ones yo-yoing right now.

And it makes sense the others are on the bottom given that in the last two issues the bad series got canceled, so there's less of a buffer.
Also I THINK this is the first time Hokenshitsu no Shinigmai's been in the bottom 5.

StrangerAtaru
November 15, 2009, 01:56 PM
(laughs hysterically that Jaguar gets to move up with it's CP considering it's permanent position)

(clears throat) Aside from that silliness, very strange week, particularly with the two newbies bombing and Bakuman and Ane collapsing. And Mago's announcement...it's not really that early for an anime if you ask me so I think this could actually be the big one for Rikuo and the youkai. (but no speculation on anything until we get to next week...besides, it probably is a tad early for Toriko and Psyren, if it does finally get one, probably won't unless Shueisha has more confidence in it)

ruggia
November 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
Also I THINK this is the first time Hokenshitsu no Shinigmai's been in the bottom 5.

nah, it was there last week too.

Drmke
November 15, 2009, 02:45 PM
Ane Doki is back down....it might actually get canceled. That would suck because I'm actually starting to like it....figures. Shinigami is doomed and probably Rilienthal. Beelzebub and Bakuman will be back up next week, no worries. Really hope Mago is getting an anime. That would be sweet.

xi0
November 15, 2009, 03:01 PM
With established authors you have to assume that if the tankoubons sell it won't matter their position in the ToC, case and point, ToRa and Hatsukoi. Wait and see how Ane-Doki's first volume sells.

Drmke
November 15, 2009, 03:07 PM
Well tank sells didn't help Hatsukoi. Whose to say it will help Ane Doki?

xi0
November 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
Well tank sells didn't help Hatsukoi. Whose to say it will help Ane Doki?

How is that? :blink

The series had a "natural" end and had an anime adaptation.

Rejuvenation
November 15, 2009, 03:46 PM
Hatsukoi wasn't a natural end. Kawashita already stated in one of the volumes that she was canceled. The anime adaption most likely happened because it was Kawashita and her name has some weight behind it. Same with Watsuki and Buso Renkin.

Anyway, I'll be surprised if Mago's announcement actually is an anime. I wouldn't mind them holding off a bit so there will be less filler.

xi0
November 15, 2009, 03:53 PM
Hatsukoi wasn't a natural end. Kawashita already stated in one of the volumes that she was canceled. The anime adaption most likely happened because it was Kawashita and her name has some weight behind it. Same with Watsuki and Buso Renkin.

That's why I put natural in quotations. I meant that strictly speaking, the plot wasn't rushed as many abrupt endings are. That, plus the fact that it was Kawashita, probably lent itself to it getting an anime.

Drmke
November 15, 2009, 04:03 PM
How is that? :blink

The series had a "natural" end and had an anime adaptation.

What I meant was, Hatsukoi didn't get to run as long as Kawashita originally planned or hoped for.

KuwabaraTheMan
November 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
Well, it looks like in spite of my skepticism a few pages back, Mago may be getting an anime announcement soon. I'm a bit surprised that it's happening this soon, but it's certainly done well enough to deserve an anime.

The bottom of the magazine is rather odd this week. Bakuman and Beelzebub near the bottom, and Jaguar not in last place is always worth a double take. I'm not sure if this is bad news for Ane Doki or not.

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 04:34 PM
(laughs hysterically that Jaguar gets to move up with it's CP considering it's permanent position)

(clears throat) Aside from that silliness, very strange week, particularly with the two newbies bombing and Bakuman and Ane collapsing. And Mago's announcement...it's not really that early for an anime if you ask me so I think this could actually be the big one for Rikuo and the youkai. (but no speculation on anything until we get to next week...besides, it probably is a tad early for Toriko and Psyren, if it does finally get one, probably won't unless Shueisha has more confidence in it)

I kind of feel like Psyren could be the next Mx0; popular enough to stay in the magazine a few years but gets lost in the shuffle when it comes time to get an anime. Of course it could be treated like Houshin Engi, Neuro, and ToRa; a 24 episode anime. 100 episodes is out of the question.

While any talk of Mago getting an anime (talk I think I started >.<) may be premature, it will hit it's two year anniversary a month before the April season and have just about the perfect chapter count. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Sket Dance announcement yet. I would be surprised if it didn't get a spring anime as well.

Koen
November 15, 2009, 05:08 PM
I kind of feel like Psyren could be the next Mx0; popular enough to stay in the magazine a few years but gets lost in the shuffle when it comes time to get an anime. Of course it could be treated like Houshin Engi, Neuro, and ToRa; a 24 episode anime. 100 episodes is out of the question.

I kinda agree with you on this one. However, I do not want it to be a mx0 because that would mean psyren would get an instant unexpected axe sooner than expected :p

I'd rather stick to a comparison with Neuro and Muhyo. It'll get a decent amount of volumes (chapters) to work out the story - as we know it now - further on.

BBB Banana
November 15, 2009, 05:09 PM
Mago is probably going to have about 100 chapters so if that's the case an anime isn't impossible.

StrangerAtaru
November 15, 2009, 05:51 PM

While any talk of Mago getting an anime (talk I think I started >.<) may be premature, it will hit it's two year anniversary a month before the April season and have just about the perfect chapter count. I'm surprised there hasn't been a Sket Dance announcement yet. I would be surprised if it didn't get a spring anime as well.

I'd say that if it doesn't get an anime by that point, Psyren will be less like Mx0 and more like Muhyo...though from how I've heard that had gone, Muhyo sort of felt like one of the few series that actually lasted a while, did what it did and still didn't get an anime. They happen but in modern Jump, that's less likely so.

In regards to a potential Mago anime: don't forget that just because one may exist doesn't mean that it will be a OP/Naruto/Bleach. Sure it could last a half-year or even a year, but only if it becomes a big hit (well big enough to matter) will we have to worry about fillers and such. Besides, 2 years in a manga run is probably long enough to start thinking about these sorts of things...and compared to Sket and Psyren (which are a bit older than it is), Mago probably has the better chance of becoming animated at this point due to it's developed base and it's potential. (maybe not as massive as, say, Toriko, but still big enough to be significant if an "announcement" is coming)

Koshi_Inaba
November 15, 2009, 06:11 PM
I don't know why people keep calling Toriko "massive". Sure it's big, but it's not even as big as Reborn. Mago's sales isn't even that far from Toriko. It's big, but calling it massive is an overstatement

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 07:05 PM
In regards to a potential Mago anime: don't forget that just because one may exist doesn't mean that it will be a OP/Naruto/Bleach. Sure it could last a half-year or even a year, but only if it becomes a big hit (well big enough to matter) will we have to worry about fillers and such. Besides, 2 years in a manga run is probably long enough to start thinking about these sorts of things...and compared to Sket and Psyren (which are a bit older than it is), Mago probably has the better chance of becoming animated at this point due to it's developed base and it's potential. (maybe not as massive as, say, Toriko, but still big enough to be significant if an "announcement" is coming)

Mago and Toriko give me the Gintama/DGM/Reborn vibe; they will give it the full 52 episodes plus the possibility of renewal. I don't think any series is handed 100 episodes but is renewed on a yearly basis, could be wrong though.

I don't know why people keep calling Toriko "massive". Sure it's big, but it's not even as big as Reborn. Mago's sales isn't even that far from Toriko. It's big, but calling it massive is an overstatement

Reborn will be turning six right before Toriko turns two. Not a fair comparison. It, along with Gintama, has had the time to have 100+ episode anime, light novel adaptions, toys and everything else that can promote a series. Massive may be a strong word but it is very clear that at some point Toriko was viewed as the most likely to be a hit by Shueisha. Most likely that was based on Toriko, once upon a time out preforming Mago in the TOC. That clearly isn't the case anymore with Mago now getting as much color as Toriko did.
[hr]

I kinda agree with you on this one. However, I do not want it to be a mx0 because that would mean psyren would get an instant unexpected axe sooner than expected :p

I'd rather stick to a comparison with Neuro and Muhyo. It'll get a decent amount of volumes (chapters) to work out the story - as we know it now - further on.

Agreed. Muhyo and Neuro are more apt comparisons. In my opinion Iwashiro will have at least all of 2010 to finish his story, continuing beyond that also seems reasonable to expect. He also has one thing going for him few young mangaka have: his assistants get serialized, the first already has a hit.

Crude
November 15, 2009, 07:32 PM
I was just wondering, but is there anywhere where I can watch the Toriko OVA that came out for Jump Festa?

wingman32x
November 15, 2009, 07:37 PM
Ouch... bad news for Ane Doki. It's def. not safe but I'll be pissed if it gets cancelled before medaka box, which has been bottom dwelling for most of its life.

Speaking of Medaka, it will be interesting to see what it's spot is once the ToC comes out. I'm guessing 1-3 spots out of the bottom 5.

[Cross]
November 15, 2009, 07:51 PM
I was just wondering, but is there anywhere where I can watch the Toriko OVA that came out for Jump Festa?

I wouldn't think so, since they screened it instead of airing it on TV, we'll most likely have to wait until it's released in a DVD.

Kaiten
November 15, 2009, 07:53 PM
Tegami Bachi's pilot was subbed. Toriko's will be too. It wouldn't surprise me if it is posted at the Shonen Jump website later this months. The anime from last years tour was.

jose
November 15, 2009, 10:03 PM
I liked the b5, except for beel, but the others i dont care anything. =p

SSJWill4
November 15, 2009, 11:53 PM
Chapter 19 of Ane Doki gave me this ending soon feeling, it wouldn't surprise me if it is the next out.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that. I still think they'll do at least 1 more new series starting with issue 1, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's out in issue 53 (I know I'm prob in the minority with this though).

Kaiten
November 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
I'm skeptical about another new series starting. Two series in November, Hunter x Hunter returning in January, which will only have two issues this year. That seems enough for now. The next new series may come earlier then usual this year, early February rather than late February/early March. Ane ending around that time would not be a surprise.

Savi
November 16, 2009, 12:32 PM
why shounen jump #52 is on Saturday and not in Monday like usual?

Akainu
November 16, 2009, 12:42 PM
because monday 23rd of november is Labor Thanksgiving Day (http://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?country=26) in Japan

Savi
November 16, 2009, 12:48 PM
thats mean the will get the RAW early this week?

Kaiten
November 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
We already get Jump four days before they do in Japan. How much earlier could anyone want?

wingman32x
November 16, 2009, 07:21 PM
I don't think he was complaining. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that since Jump comes out earlier in japan this week, we might get the RAWS earlier since, like you said, we get Jump 4 days earlier than Japan. What's wrong with that?

Negative Syndicate
November 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
409 : ◆EizHb38XPU :2009/11/17(火) 10:09:30 ID:gwiV6dJHO
ちょいと追加
・OPは3号連続巻頭&表紙だとか
・ぬらりの重大発表は53号で
人気投票発表も

・One Piece going to get three CPs and Covers in a row. October was for Reborn, November was for Gintama, and looks like December is going to be for One Piece.
・Nurarihyon going to show the result of popularity poll with a big announcement in Issue 53.

Koshi_Inaba
November 16, 2009, 11:25 PM
Wow, one piece month huh? Popularity poll and big announcement for Mago, awesome

SSJWill4
November 17, 2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.shonenjump.com/e/mangaonline/
Nekko Wappa is now up.

Edit: Also, it looks like Kanata Seven Change will be available to read on Friday.

Kaiten
November 17, 2009, 01:12 AM
Outstanding!! Best new series since Beelze. I love the old school feel and art; reminds me of early Toriyama, Dr. Slump and Dragonball. The action scenes worked perfectly, Tama is a great lead, all around great new series!

Rejuvenation
November 17, 2009, 04:14 AM
Holy crap Psyren in the top 3. Kuroko is right under it though good lord.

This is One Piece's first time getting back to #1 in 2 months or so. I'm actually happy about it getting its own month. It would have been good if another series outside of the Big 3 got it but I don't mind them giving it to the only one among the 3 that is still worth a damn.

Huh, Medaka was actually the highest its been since its earlier chapters. Good week for it considering its ranking last week.

Akiyama
November 17, 2009, 04:16 AM
Psyren had one one of it's best ranking, good for them. Medaka will just drop back down again next week, just wait and see and Ane Dokî will get out of the bottem 5 just like Bakuman.

I really liked Neko Wappa as an addition to WSJ. Last time it was a dog (Rilienthal) so they add a cat theme this time. Smart choice! :tem

3 weeks of Oda coloring will be great. :woo

ruggia
November 17, 2009, 05:27 AM
Psyren so high~ along with Kuroko.
i hope Psyren manages to get a color page for once.

Medaka wan't a huge improvement, but it managed to be in 10th place :D

I'm interested in the oneshot since I liked Zan (read it a few weeks ago). I hope someone scans it.

Negative Syndicate
November 17, 2009, 07:24 AM
It looks like Jump is promoting some old series; Reborn first, then Gintama, then One Piece. I'm going to wonder if they going to promote old series again on Januray.

Also, did Sket Dance also started a popularity poll? I think it should be a time to get result by now.

juUnior
November 17, 2009, 07:56 AM
It looks like Jump is promoting some old series; Reborn first, then Gintama, then One Piece. I'm going to wonder if they going to promote old series again on Januray.
Yeah, I would like to see sth like this with Naruto series :wtf

Negative Syndicate
November 17, 2009, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I would like to see sth like this with Naruto series :wtf

I don't Naruto will get one month promotion because Jump already promoted for its 10th year anniversary for almost half a year.

I think they might promote Bleach next, or might be HxH, well because it is returning on January.

Kaiten
November 17, 2009, 08:24 AM
Good to see Psyren go top 5 even if it deserved it more six months ago than it does now :p Still, a good series, always glad to see it do well! I'm disappointed Mago dropped to the middle, life will move on I guess. I'm less shocked that OP gets the month of color, rather I'm surprised Oda is willing to do that much at once. He usually only seems to do 4 or 5 a year.

ruggia
November 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
well, now we all know what Oda has been doing during all those hiatus...
such a busy man.
first its the movie vol 0, than chap 0, and now OP month.
thank you Oda :yourock

I guess this month of color pages is like WSJ's new trend?
I'm assuming Kuroko will get one eventually.

Koen
November 17, 2009, 09:00 AM
I got back from NYC and the first thing I get to see is that Psyren has a top 3 place: I call that, sweet and smooth :D Iirc, the rated chapter is the one where Grana and Miroku meet each other in the future (or am I wrong?)

Anyway (from top to subtop and from subtop to bottom), yoyo-ing is a fact for a lot of series: beelzebub, kuroko, psyren, mago

Koshi_Inaba
November 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
Not too surprise about Mago, it is based on the chapter where they show Rikuo's dumb friends in Kyoto. It will probably rise again with the battles in the second seal

Negative Syndicate
November 17, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm kind of sad Psyren yet to have any project going on.

Sket Dance and Nurarihyon got drama cd, novelization, and advertised on Jump Bang; Toriko got OVA for Jump Tour; Bakuman and Inumaru got vomic; even Kuroko and Beelzebub also advertised on Jump Bang. Compared to these series, Psyren has nothing. I hope Psyren will get something soon.

kewl0210
November 17, 2009, 10:37 AM
Psyren hasn't gotten anything because it hasn't done as well as those other series in general.
But maybe Jump will start pushing Psyren if it's gotten third place after usually being more like 10th-15th...
Toriko's in first, so I'm glad about that.

Even with the cover they put Gintama kinda low, but I suppose when something has the cover even without the opening cover, its rank is sorta unfixed.
And I dunno how Kuroko always gets so high, but no one's scanlating it so how could I... I'm not reading raws for a series as complex as that...

Neko Wappa and Kanata Seven Change are still unranked, but Jaguar has a color page, both shifting things up and down.
Plus Bleach is absent, so it makes the magazine ranking kinda weird.

ruggia
November 17, 2009, 10:55 AM
And I dunno how Kuroko always gets so high, but no one's scanlating it so how could I... I'm not reading raws for a series as complex as that...

well, this week's Kuroko's ranked chapter (ch 39 i think) had a color page + introduced a new super-powered rival + showed a new female character. so maybe thats why....
to be honest, its not that bad of a series, even though its not something amazing. its good enough to keep until a new sports manga comes out.

Negative Syndicate
November 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
well, this week's Kuroko's ranked chapter (ch 39 i think) had a color page + introduced a new super-powered rival + showed a new female character. so maybe thats why....

Actually, the ranking is based on chapter 40, not 39.

StrangerAtaru
November 17, 2009, 01:34 PM
Somehow at this point, I think that even with Psyren's sudden jump into third, the only way that it probably will get more respect in the TOC is if it can do so more often. I mean it isn't really a cellar-dweller anymore and may finally be catching on, but that won't really get it the notice that some of the other '08 series are getting (particularly Toriko and Mago, which are both essentially bee-lining to anime at this point).

Seeing OP getting first again after essentially forever brough a smile to my face for sure. Other than that, it's a really confusing TOC (made even more so with Gintama's end of month cover and Bleach being off, taking them essentially out of contention)

ruggia
November 17, 2009, 01:40 PM
Actually, the ranking is based on chapter 40, not 39.

really? correct me if I'm wrong, but Kuroko's upcoming chapter is 47, right?
the ToC are based on 8 chapters before, since ToC for first 8 weeks are pre-determined, so that means ToC that comes out on chapter 9 is showing ranks of chap 1 right?
So isn't this ToC showing chap 39? (47-8=39) or am I missing something....
I always get confused with matching the ranks to right chapter :p

Negative Syndicate
November 17, 2009, 01:53 PM
really? correct me if I'm wrong, but Kuroko's upcoming chapter is 47, right?
the ToC are based on 8 chapters before, since ToC for first 8 weeks are pre-determined, so that means ToC that comes out on chapter 9 is showing ranks of chap 1 right?
So isn't this ToC showing chap 39? (47-8=39) or am I missing something....
I always get confused with matching the ranks to right chapter :p

First official ranking is always start at chapter 8 (8-7=1). So, actually is ranking is based on chapter 40 (47-7=40).

Bomber D Rufi
November 17, 2009, 04:59 PM
Outstanding!! Best new series since Beelze. I love the old school feel and art; reminds me of early Toriyama, Dr. Slump and Dragonball. The action scenes worked perfectly, Tama is a great lead, all around great new series!

So uh...theoretically speaking, if someone....(not naming names) were interested in Translating Neko Wappa, (interested, but not sure.) Should said person start from chapter one? Or should this person (again not naming names) start with the second one?

One piece color month is bitchin' though. (Whining) Why couldn't Gintama get a 'true' month though? It seems to me that they 'celebrated' in name only....

I'd watch a Mago anime though. (And that's saying a lot, as I'm pretty picky nowadays. I think the only shows I watch are Gintama and the new DTB.) I sort of echo what some others are saying, that Psyren deserves a bit more love.

If, in theory, said person were interested in translating a certain series this theoretical person should PM a certain mod who would kill to scanlate that series. He has his own thoughts on chapter 1 but hesitates to post them publicly. ;)

Crude
November 17, 2009, 05:33 PM
I hope this is a sign for good things to come Psyren's way.

xi0
November 18, 2009, 02:22 AM
One piece color month is bitchin' though. (Whining) Why couldn't Gintama get a 'true' month though? It seems to me that they 'celebrated' in name only....

I'd guess it ultimately comes down to the manga-ka for these dedicated months. Amano was obviously more willing to put colors/cover art out than Sorachi.
[hr]
And if I'm not mistaken, Psyren's ranking is based on chapter 88 which was Ageha's Dad being revealed and the return of Matsuri.

Mushashi
November 18, 2009, 02:24 AM
i live in australia and we get WSJ in on tuesday at kinokuninya the week before they normely release it, they just have it sitting inside the japanese book counter (your not meant to go in there but no1 is every there) and when you take one to the counter the people working there have no idea so you get it a week early, people have told me about doing this but ive never botherd (i cant read jap well) so why bother, but i have a scanner now so i might scan it up to MH next week.

Negative Syndicate
November 18, 2009, 08:06 AM
I found a spoiler for the one shot, SWOT.

http://imepita.jp/20091118/771750
http://imepita.jp/20091118/771920

ruggia
November 18, 2009, 10:57 AM
I found a spoiler for the one shot, SWOT.

http://imepita.jp/20091118/771750
http://imepita.jp/20091118/771920

i guess it could be because the characters are set as more realistic, but looking at those, this guy improved his art a lot. its much more detailed and looks a lot better than Zan.
I hope someone scan this

Xadyu
November 18, 2009, 02:50 PM
I have a question~

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zfu2x2.jpg

In this part of the 40th anniversary poster, who and from what manga is the green "Rider" right next to Ichigo (of Bleach)

ruggia
November 18, 2009, 02:53 PM
I have a question~

http://i46.tinypic.com/1zfu2x2.jpg

In this part of the 40th anniversary poster, who and from what manga is the green "Rider" right next to Ichigo (of Bleach)

i'm guessing its wingman (http://mangahelpers.com/m/wingman) :)

Kaiten
November 18, 2009, 03:25 PM
Please discuss anything related to Naruto's 10th Anniversary in the Naruto forum. All posts related to Naruto's 10th anniversary have been deleted. Thanks~~

StrangerAtaru
November 18, 2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah, it's Wingman. Really need to get back to that series but everything that's been going on, from translations to real life, has prevented me from doing so.

Mushashi
November 19, 2009, 04:35 AM
i wish WSJ was published in english instead we get a junk yu gi oh card obseesed jump once a month 300 chapters behind, OH NO THE UNFAIRNESS

Digital_Eon
November 19, 2009, 04:46 AM
i wish WSJ was published in english instead we get a junk yu gi oh card obseesed jump once a month 300 chapters behind, OH NO THE UNFAIRNESS

In all fairness, it's catching up, one series at a time. And it can hardly be blamed for handing out trading cards when that's what the audience wants. If Toriko and Bakuman do end up in the magazine next year, then it'll be another step in making it more like WSJ, except for a... slightly younger audience?

WSJ isn't profitable on its own, is it? I thought Shueisha actually lost money on it - it regained the money through tank sales. All things considered, while the English version could be a *little* thicker (IMO), I'd say it's a pretty decent overseas version for a far smaller and slightly younger audience. And they're making improvements, too.

Though I kind of miss the days when you'd hear about older or more unusual series. Oh well.

Kaiten
November 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
^That is right. Manga magazines are either loss leaders or make a very small profit. There is a reason they are black and white and printed on shit paper. Publishers, no matter what country, lose money when there product is sold at newsstands. For most magazines profit is generated by subscriptions, For manga they make it up in tankobon sales. From what I understand, and this could be wrong, manga anthologies only get a limited number of subscribers.

BBB Banana
November 19, 2009, 01:31 PM
I finally found a store im my city wich sells WSJ duno if I'm going to buy though cause seems that only bleach and Naruto are up to date. Could somebody say the series avaiable at U.S weekly shonen jump?

Digital_Eon
November 19, 2009, 04:46 PM
I finally found a store im my city wich sells WSJ duno if I'm going to buy though cause seems that only bleach and Naruto are up to date. Could somebody say the series avaiable at U.S weekly shonen jump?

The US Shonen Jump is monthly - the series running are Naruto, OP, Bleah, Tegami Bachi (from Jump SQ), Ultimo (also from SQ), YuYuHakusho (about to end), and Yu-Gi-Oh GX, IIRC. Naruto is close to being up-to-date, Bleach is a fair ways in, and they're going to have OP catch up soon.

If you mean WSJ, the Japanese one, well... =P

To add to what Kaiten.Sama said:

Targeted towards young adult males, the first issue required three printings to meet consumer demand, with over 300,000 copies sold. It was awarded the ICv2 "Comic Product of the Year" award in December 2002, and has continued to enjoy high sales with a monthly circulation of 215,000 in 2008. Approximately half of its circulation comes from subscriptions rather than store sales.

So SJ might get some of its profit from subscriptions, too...?

Kaiten
November 19, 2009, 07:02 PM
I guess subscriptions account for a lot of U.S. Shonen Jump's profits. Shojo Beat was canceled for lack of, even though Shojo Beat graphic novels are among VIZ's highest sellers.

Toriko and Bakuman. will be added to Shonen Jump this winter.

BBB Banana
November 19, 2009, 07:21 PM
After bakuman is aded to US WSJ I'll probably start buying it it's only 5 $ for month it's not that much.

How many chapters of each series are released each month? because 1 chapter each series seems like nothing.

Kaiten
November 19, 2009, 07:31 PM
Depends on the series. Bleach, OP, and Naruto get multiple chapters. TB and Ultimo only get one. Can't remember for the rest.

Akiyama
November 19, 2009, 07:32 PM
Naruto - 4, Bleach - 3, One Piece - 2, YuYu - 2 (final appearance in January replaced by Toriko) Tegami Bachi - 1, GX - 1, Ultimo 1
Then sometimes you get 1st chapters of series that aren't published in the magazine like, Death Note, WaqWaq, Zombie Loan etc.

Negative Syndicate
November 19, 2009, 11:36 PM
I have a quick question. I know that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is second longest series in Shonen Jump, behind KochiKame.

Does JoJo passed 100,000,000 sales or not? And can anyone tell me total tank sells for JoJo (including Steel Ball Run)?

SSJWill4
November 20, 2009, 12:35 AM
Naruto - 4, Bleach - 3, One Piece - 2, YuYu - 2 (final appearance in January replaced by Toriko) Tegami Bachi - 1, GX - 1, Ultimo 1
Then sometimes you get 1st chapters of series that aren't published in the magazine like, Death Note, WaqWaq, Zombie Loan etc.

Yu-Gi-Oh GX also made it's final appearance in the magazine in January's issue. It will be continued in volume releases. Toriko is starting in February's issue but the preview states that it's a 3 issue preview, so I guess it won't stay in the magazine beyond that. :( Hopefully Bakuman will be a permanent addition whenever it enters the magazine.

Akiyama
November 20, 2009, 01:06 AM
Bakuman will be in the May issue. Thanks for your input about GX (very happy now :tem). :hi5
Toriko isn't staying around that's some sad news :(

Drmke
November 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
I was wondering what other series besides YuYu Hakusho they would take out. They never have more than 7 series running seems like. Yeah hopefully Bakuman will stay in it, but taking Toriko out just means they will either put in another series, start running more manga previews, or have more chapters of each series in the mag.

v3g374
November 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
I didn't follow this what's with Toriko? Is it cancelled? I thought it's the biggest hit since... since a long time. :D

Oh.. you guys talking about the american Jump I get it now.

Drmke
November 20, 2009, 10:51 AM
I didn't follow this what's with Toriko? Is it cancelled? I thought it's the biggest hit since... since a long time. :D

No, the conversation was about the American Shonen Jump. They are just doing a 3 chapter preview starting in February then releasing it in tank form only. Its perfectly safe :)

Digital_Eon
November 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
Wait... WAIT... did I just hear that they're kicking out GX now?

YES YES YESSSS

As much as the series has actually grown on me, Letter Bee is among my favourite series ever and I'm so happy that appears to be staying in the magazine. I wonder if Toriko will be replaced with another WSJ series (perhaps they'll bring back Gintama? It had a few chapters in SJ a while back) or with another SQ series... either way... it's becoming more like the Japanese version now, sort of.

BBB Banana
November 20, 2009, 03:47 PM
It would be cool if they added D.Gray-man or Mago to US Jump.

Drmke
November 20, 2009, 09:12 PM
It would be cool if they added D.Gray-man or Mago to US Jump.

D. Gray-man is too mature for the audience the magazine aims for. That's why they put it under Shonen Jump "Advanced" :D

Kaiten
November 20, 2009, 09:43 PM
It's waaaay to late for DGM, that was licensed three years ago. Then again they did add Bleach years after it was licensed. Toriko (February, March, April issues) will be replaced by Bakuman. in May. Mago isn't licensed yet, I'm sure it will be in the magazine for at least a few issues once it is.

Mushashi
November 20, 2009, 10:31 PM
D. Gray-man is too mature for the audience the magazine aims for. That's why they put it under Shonen Jump "Advanced" :D

anything ''advanced is over 16+ and yu gi oh card loving fanboys in the us will cry if they read it........, i really think that magazine should be aimed at a middle range of audience im sick of half the magazine being yu-gi-oh

[Cross]
November 20, 2009, 10:37 PM
A cat dies in the first chapter of D.Gray-Man. That alone probably keeps it out of the US Shonen Jump Magazine, tbh I thought that was a little cruel on Hoshino's part, but it's interesting to hear that Toriko will debut soon, Bakuman as well.

Kaiten
November 20, 2009, 11:08 PM
I can't remember if DGM was previewed in Shonen Jump. Gintama was in 2007. I'm not sure about Reborn either.

Drmke
November 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
anything ''advanced is over 16+ and yu gi oh card loving fanboys in the us will cry if they read it........, i really think that magazine should be aimed at a middle range of audience im sick of half the magazine being yu-gi-oh

For awhile, the magazine was aiming for the middle with mild language and very few edits to the artwork. Something happened around '05/'06 and the magazine, as well as most releases, for kids. Which has at some points made some of the series way to child like at some points.
<hr noshade size="1">

I can't remember if DGM was previewed in Shonen Jump. Gintama was in 2007. I'm not sure about Reborn either.

It was. They showed chapters 2 and 3 I think. Reborn wasn't though.

Bomber D Rufi
November 21, 2009, 12:42 AM
Neko Wappa 2 translation posted. 3 will probably come Thursday as I don't have a life, and therefore will be translating rather than eating. (Only 79 percent joking.):-P
Save me some Turkey!

Oh, Kaiten's asked me to reserve it for him, so no touching. :-P

http://mangahelpers.com/t/bomberdrufi/releases/17713

Kaiten will be very happy :tem - Akiyama
Yes he is :D

Kaiten
November 21, 2009, 01:02 AM
Working on the chapter. I'm slow (and RL keeps me busy) so expect release next week.

Drmke
November 21, 2009, 01:04 AM
Well, its official, both Nekowappa and Kananta Seven Change both made me laugh pretty hard. Love both series. Nekowappa is just great. Very classic comedy style and I like that. Kanata is just crazy and funny. Looking forward to the second chapters of both.

Digital_Eon
November 21, 2009, 03:35 AM
For awhile, the magazine was aiming for the middle with mild language and very few edits to the artwork. Something happened around '05/'06 and the magazine, as well as most releases, for kids. Which has at some points made some of the series way to child like at some points.

I still remember reading a chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh in one of the 2003 magazines and being shocked that the word "ass" was in there...

I'd say DGM wouldn't be in the magazine for other reasons besides death and other violent stuff (religious connotations, anyone?). Since Bleach was brought back, I could see Reborn or Gintama coming in at a later point - or maybe Claymore? Claymore had a preview. If they're cutting GX, maybe the editors want the audience to grow up a little.

So do Neko and Kanata seem like series the Japanese public would enjoy? Not that we can tell just yet, but comments *here* seem positive... It'd be disappointing for another good series to be cancelled early.

Drmke
November 21, 2009, 03:45 AM
I still remember reading a chapter of Yu-Gi-Oh in one of the 2003 magazines and being shocked that the word "ass" was in there...

I'd say DGM wouldn't be in the magazine for other reasons besides death and other violent stuff (religious connotations, anyone?). Since Bleach was brought back, I could see Reborn or Gintama coming in at a later point - or maybe Claymore? Claymore had a preview. If they're cutting GX, maybe the editors want the audience to grow up a little.

Yeah Shonen Jump used to say everything short of "shit" and "fuck". But they won't put Claymore in the magazine besides the preview, its just too violent. Reborn is doubtful because they didn't even run a preview to begin with, though it may be more popular than I imagine it is here. Gintama is a possibility. It was really well received when the first preview was ran and during the time it ran in the magazine.

Negative Syndicate
November 21, 2009, 06:33 PM
Jump Bang is having 2009 awards for Jump series.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/contents/janbang/award2009/

Drmke
November 21, 2009, 06:37 PM
So what are the categories....I'm Japanese illiterate.

BBB Banana
November 21, 2009, 06:40 PM
US Shonen Jump will be oficially more mature when they decide to put in an echi series. Until then the targeted public will be young teens.

kewl0210
November 21, 2009, 06:44 PM
First category is Most Interesting Manga
Second category is most Tear Jerking Manga
Third category is Akiina's choice, whoever that is, he picked a bunch of cool guys, here you're selectng the character.
Fourth category is Best Gag Manga
Fifth is Best Battle Manga
Sixth is for Best Combo-Team. It's best pair of two guys.
Seventh is for Best Transformation. And it's by character.

You pick from their choices in each one, I shouldn't need to say the names because they all have pictures.
The most popular manga's gonna win all of em, you know how these go...
I find it interesting Psyren isn't in anything. It's just not good enough...

Drmke
November 21, 2009, 06:56 PM
Now I feel the need to post my selections...

Most Interesting Manga: Nurarihyon no Mago
Tear Jerking Manga: One Piece (didn't really feel like any of them where tear jerking so I went with Luffy :tem)
Akiina's Choice: Kanda (he's just that badass)
Best Gag Manga: Jaguar
Best Battle Manga: One Piece
Best Combo-Team: Oga and baby Beel (they just make a hilarious team)
Best Transformation: Rikou
[hr]

US Shonen Jump will be oficially more mature when they decide to put in an echi series. Until then the targeted public will be young teens.

btw: They did run the first chapter of I''s which is very echi especially the first chapter.

Mr. Prince
November 21, 2009, 06:58 PM
Third category is Akiina's choice, whoever that is, he picked a bunch of cool guys, here you're selectng the character.
Akkiina is the female host of JUMBang. I think she's a real hottie but her taste in manga and character's been disturbing me the whole time...
It's the only category I have no idea whom to vote since all those characters are rather "meh".

----

Thanks for the link, anyway. Even though I think kewl's right and the big names will take most of it...

KuwabaraTheMan
November 21, 2009, 07:08 PM
My votes:

Most Interesting: One Piece
Tear Jerking: One Piece
Akiina's Choice: Kaidoh (although Hibari and Kanda are awesome, too)
Best Gag Manga: Sket Dance
Best Combo Team: Kagami and Kuroko
Best Transformation: Tsuna

BBB Banana
November 21, 2009, 07:17 PM
my votes:

Most Interesting: Nurarihyon no Mago
Tear Jerking: Gintama (it can be fun dramatic everything)
Akiina's Choice: allen walker
Best Gag Manga: Gintama
Best Battle Manga: D.Gray-Man
Best Combo Team: Allen Lenalle
Best Transformation:Ichigo

[Cross]
November 21, 2009, 08:20 PM
my votes:

Most Interesting: Nurarihyon no Mago
Tear Jerking: Gintama (it can be fun dramatic everything)
Akiina's Choice: allen walker
Best Battle Manga: D.Gray-Man
Best Combo Team: Allen Lenalle
Best Transformation:Ichigo

Your choices for best battle, akina's choice and best combo aren't on the list, are they?

Here's my list:

Most Interesting: Gintama
Tear Jerking: Sket Dance
Akiina's Choice: Hibari
Best Combo Team: Mashiro and Takagi (Bakuman)
Best Transformation: Ichigo (Bleach)

BBB Banana
November 21, 2009, 08:41 PM
;1683351']Your choices for best battle, akina's choice and best combo aren't on the list, are they?

Here's my list:

Tear Jerking: Sket Dance
Akiina's Choice: Hibari

Lol you're rigth I didn't saw the whole page and thougt you could chose any character from the series above my bad :facepalm

so my correcta votes are:

Tear Jerking: Naruto
Akiina's Choice: Gin
Best Battle Manga:Naruto

Negative Syndicate
November 21, 2009, 09:12 PM
Here's my list:

Most Interesting: One Piece
Tear Jerking: One Piece
Akiina's Choice: Kanda Yuu
Best Battle Manga:One Piece
Best Transformation: Tsuna (Reborn)

Also, 2000s era is coming to an end, so I want to know other people's top 10 series from 2000 to 2009, and other's review on overall series from 2000s. Here's my list:

Black Cat (2000 Issue 32~2004 Issue 29)
Bleach (2001 Issue 36・37~ongoing)
Eyeshield 21 (2002 Issue 34~2009 Issue 29)
Gintama (2004 Issue 2~ongoing)
D.Gray-man (2004 Issue 27~ongoing)
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro (2005 Issue 12~2009 Issue 21)
Mx0 (2006 Issue 23~2008 Issue 25)
Nurarihyon no Mago (2008 Issue 15~ongoing)
Bakuman (2008 Issue 37・38~ongoing)
Beelzebub (2009 Issue 12~ongoing)

KuwabaraTheMan
November 21, 2009, 10:28 PM
It's an interesting question. Most of the series which have defined Jump in this decade were actually late 90s series (One Piece, Hunter x Hunter, Naruto and Prince of Tennis).

Of the series which started in this decade, I definitely rank D.Gray-man first, followed by Eyeshield 21 and Reborn. Death Note had great potential until it had the worst ending in the history of all fictional works. Bleach is mindless, but it can be fun. I was fond of Mx0 while it was around, and I think Kuroko is off to a promising start. That makes 7. I can't really think of any other series that I've read enough of and liked enough to include in a Top 10 list for this decade.

Galactic Tomahawk
November 21, 2009, 10:45 PM
Most interesting: One Piece
Tearjerker: One Piece
Character: Hibari
Gag Manga: Jaguar
Battle manga: One Piece
Team: Oga and Be'el
Transformation: Rikuo

I would've really liked more options on #3, Hibari and Gin were the only ones I even like at all in the first place and they're still only vague interest at best.

Rejuvenation
November 22, 2009, 12:28 AM
Top 10 for this decade in no particular order

Toriko
Eyeshield 21
Katekyou Hitman Reborn
D. Gray-man
Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
Psyren
Busou Renkin
Bakuman
Sket Dance