PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Meister by Kaji Kimiya

Sexy Randal 105
November 27, 2008, 10:43 AM
http://uppix.net/a/8/e/7b3203af95890a8db4692a7170533.bmp
http://i33.tinypic.com/2h2dnxw.jpg

Meister by Kaji Kimiya (http://mangahelpers.com/manga/details/meister)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2009 #1 (release date 1 Dec 2008)

About the series
A new generation soccer series has arrived! How will a captain of a new generation pull a team together? What is the soccer that Captain Argishi Raiho will aim for?
(more details after the first chapter is released :p this is based on advertisements only)

About the author
Kaji Kimiya debuted in 1997 with a one-shot story in Akamaru JUMP, then worked for Kanou Yasuhiro (author of Mx0) as an assistant on Pretty Face. He got his first break in a WSJ series, Yamikami Kou ~Kurayami ni Dokkuri~ in 2003. The series ran for about 16 chapters (2 volumes) before it ended and Kaji-sensei has been publishing one-shots in Akamaru JUMP and WSJ since. His most recent one-shot is FC Barcelona Monogatari, published in WSJ 2008 #35. It's based on the real-life Barcelona football club (in Spain) as part of WSJ's 40th anniversary campaign, but was obviously also part of his research for this new series.

Hijacking the thread to add more info.

[hr]

Soccer, the world's favorite sports (Except for us Yanks that is...=P). There have been countless successful manga about it. With Sports manga being hated in WSJ as of late, can Meister break this trend?

kirimi
November 30, 2008, 06:01 AM
Spoilers from 2ch

新設校にして千葉県大会BEST4にまで勝ち上がった総海高校サッカー部
主人公はチビですばしっこい新岸頼歩。キャプテン、二年生、口癖は「にゃー」
マネージャー曰く、サッカー部員はイロ者揃い
ヤンキーとか元ヒッキーとか

そこに身長192センチの新入生松戸拓が入部を希望してやってくる
彼は身長からFWだったが、実はヘディングが苦手で試合で結果が出せず苦悩していた
それを見抜いた新岸は松戸にトップ下への転向を勧める
「松戸君は苦しそうな顔でサッカーしすぎだよぅ!
 いい?覚えといて! ウチの部は基本”自由”ってのがモットーなんだけど
 たった一つだけ絶対厳守の鉄則があるんだ

”サッカーは楽しんで勝て”」

新岸と二人で14人相手にゴールを決めた松戸は久々にサッカーの面白さを感じる・・・
希望ポジションを問われた松戸
「もちろんFW・・・じゃなくて”トップ下”です!」

煽り:輝けるサッカーが幕を開ける!!
[hr]
Raw is out now~ (http://mangahelpers.com/manga/details/meister/chapters/01) Thanks, dofla. =)

Xophien
November 30, 2008, 06:17 AM
Alright, I'm liking it quite a bit, so I'm in for translating~ Expect the first chapter to take some time, though, it's looong >.>;

eni
November 30, 2008, 10:35 AM
So, any agreement on the correct name by now? :p

fxu
November 30, 2008, 01:10 PM
Can't wait :]

I love soccer... I was born with a soccer ball under my arm :D

Xophien
November 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
I honestly like it quite a bit <3 Good art, great and rather original male lead, the other characters are interesting (former hikikomori as centre-back? WTH :XD) and it's overall quite fun. I'm honestly looking forward to how it'll turn out :nod

Plus references to Macross and Nausicaä never hurt XD

eni
November 30, 2008, 02:13 PM
After reading the raw I'm also hooked a little. Surely not the best manga I've read so far but it's worth to check it out ^^

You can see that the mangaka is an Otaku himself, as Xoph noted. I had a good laugh over the Konata-face in one panel. And there's even fanservice for me little yaoi fangirl, fufufu :kukuku

Oh, btw! Xophien...
T/N : Hikikomori is the term for a guy that locks himself on his room -usually with the internet and games- and never, NEVER goes out. Feeds on pizza and 2ch. Equivalent to the westerner WoW player.)
:rofl

Maxy Barnard
November 30, 2008, 04:48 PM
and still this stays as the series i've been most stoked about since i started in on this scene....

.... that's not by a manga-ka i was previously aware of.... wait has there been any like that? Shiki in SQ and Matsuri Special in SQ........

can't think of a WSJ series though so perhaps i'm becomign a jaded fanboy

Sexy Randal 105
November 30, 2008, 05:20 PM
Noodle, you never heard of the mangaka from Shiki? How can you call yourself a Jump Scholar? You never read Hoshin Engi!? Speaking of Shiki, the beautiful art makes me want to read it so badly. If only I wasn't lazy.

Thanks for the hijack, Kirimi. I was too lazy to add new info. I look forward to the scanlation.

crazy_horse1989
November 30, 2008, 05:28 PM
well, obviously, i don`t know what the hell should i do... start liking this series or wait `till i see 30 chapters out and waiting for me to read `em?

the reason i ask? well, WSJ...... and to top it off, a sports....... -_-; but hell, i can`t wait for a scanlation either way!!

Sexy Randal 105
November 30, 2008, 05:49 PM
Probably best to wait. WSJ series do tend to get easily canceled. If the little kiddies don't like it then it's probably dead. =P

eni
November 30, 2008, 05:55 PM
Ahaha, don't worry. We tied Koenosaki to a stake till this series is save :amuse

*ruuuuuuuuuns into hiding*

sir_arles
November 30, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi!

I didn't see you commenting It, but according to the Raw I got from Dofla, the title of this manga is "My Star" and not "Meister".

What do you think???

See ya
Nos vemos

predsfan
November 30, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well, this looks like an interesting series. I like the 4 main players on the team (I'm indifferent right now regarding Matsudo). I especially like the interactions b/w Taira, Kiichi, and Raiho. They crack me up.

watanazn
December 01, 2008, 12:35 AM
hope this goes a long way in WSJ...soccer's great

Xophien
December 01, 2008, 03:59 AM
I didn't see you commenting It, but according to the Raw I got from Dofla, the title of this manga is "My Star" and not "Meister".

What do you think???

Could be either. They're pronounced and written the exact same way in Japanese, and we've got no definite proof it's either. Could be "My Star" because there's a star in the logo of the manga, could be "Meister" because it's actually a word related to football. If I had to pick, I'd go Meister, personally >.>

Maxy Barnard
December 01, 2008, 05:38 AM
Noodle, you never heard of the mangaka from Shiki? How can you call yourself a Jump Scholar? You never read Hoshin Engi!? Speaking of Shiki, the beautiful art makes me want to read it so badly. If only I wasn't lazy.

Thanks for the hijack, Kirimi. I was too lazy to add new info. I look forward to the scanlation.

I was thinking of those i WAS aware of there, as if to state how there hasn't really been series i've anticipated as much as this.... you may recall Hoshin Engi sits in my top 5 jump series of all time over at the weeklyjump journal........

and if there was ever a time to delve into shiki it's right now seriously.

anyway that's all off topic, i'll edit in some on topic stuff in a minute

Edit: and here it is:

Koenosaki is a curse to shonen jump series XD

ah but then i'm not exactly a good luck charm for Sket Dance so i can't say much.

wait is that really on topic? i don't think i have the hang of this

traxez
December 01, 2008, 09:00 AM
A new sport manga in WSJ! And it's soccer, I hope it will last long enough. We rarely see soccer manga nowadays.

I'm definitely reading it.

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 01, 2008, 03:44 PM
I´m giving it my support.
As a sports manga fan, I´m pumped. :amuse

Raiho is cool. At last a main character in a WSJ Sports Series that´s not a "spineless rookie with some hidden talent"(it got old after seeing Eyeshield 21´s Sena, P2´s Hiromu and Dogashi Kaden´s Ookado in a row).
He also doesn´t act like a dick despite his skills. Likeable guy. ;)

Hope this one is sucessful. :amuse

Maxy Barnard
December 01, 2008, 03:52 PM
hate to be the sort to debate off topic stuff, but i found hiromu to be refreshingly different in that he wasn't as much a coward as inexperienced and unsure of himself.

but yeah a refreshing protagonist always helps, unless you're KO sen and the protagonist is uninteresting moreso than refreshing

Hayashida
December 01, 2008, 08:13 PM
finally got a chance to check out the first chapter :wtf
the characters are interesting, good art and pace, and hilarious references
overall great opener

cant wait for chapter 2
GOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAL

Sexy Randal 105
December 01, 2008, 11:16 PM
I was thinking of those i WAS aware of there, as if to state how there hasn't really been series i've anticipated as much as this.... you may recall Hoshin Engi sits in my top 5 jump series of all time over at the weeklyjump journal........

and if there was ever a time to delve into shiki it's right now seriously.

anyway that's all off topic, i'll edit in some on topic stuff in a minute

Edit: and here it is:

Koenosaki is a curse to shonen jump series XD

ah but then i'm not exactly a good luck charm for Sket Dance so i can't say much.

wait is that really on topic? i don't think i have the hang of this

I expected as much. I was just checking. =P

But back on topic...I read the first chapter. It was pretty good. Some nice artwork. Some of the characters are kind of generic. It definitely gives me a slight PoT feel. Maybe if it was just due to that tall guy looking exactly like the one guy from PoT. I am not sure if it will live though. Not sure if it has enough to set it apart.

Hayashida
December 02, 2008, 12:12 AM
meh, they're kinda generic, but it gave us more main characters than the usual first chapter and are still to flesh them out, and they created good contrast with each other which is more than you can hope for in some mangas

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 02, 2008, 12:32 AM
hate to be the sort to debate off topic stuff, but i found hiromu to be refreshingly different in that he wasn't as much a coward as inexperienced and unsure of himself.

I get your point. ;)
Just to clarify what I said, it´s not that I think they´re all equal among themselves. Even Ookado and Sena, though pretty similar, still have some particular traits that set them apart from each other.
It´s just that, in the end, they´re all in the "rookie without confidence(at least in the earlies chapters)" set of characters. :p

PS: What really made Hiromu quite unique was his interactions with Akira, though. Man, thoso two are so damn cute when they´re together.

It definitely gives me a slight PoT feel. Maybe if it was just due to that tall guy looking exactly like the one guy from PoT.

That´s pretty much the only reason one could have to "get PoT vibes" from this. :p

Crude
December 02, 2008, 12:02 PM
I've nothing against this series, but it just seems a little too kiddie. I was hoping for a more mature soccer series to follow...

Maxy Barnard
December 02, 2008, 12:23 PM
you're reading something from an anthology for kids, you have to expect it to not exactly be mature. besides it has a good solid heart and some nice morals that make it seem less childish than a lot of other shonen jump series... but that's beside the point

Meromorphe
December 03, 2008, 11:59 AM
I read it because Xophien translated it (:yaha). So far, enough entertaining to be followed, but I did not find the first chapter very funny.

Tanequil
December 05, 2008, 10:09 AM
I play soccer and am a soccer fan at heart, so I'll be looking out for this one. :)

shinigamikender
December 06, 2008, 03:19 PM
I was really prepared not to like this one after KOsen and it certainly did feel pretty cliche at points.

But the lead character felt refreshing. It's nice seeing a lead so confident and out-going from the get-go, without coming off as arrogant.

Talakene
December 07, 2008, 02:00 AM
Raihou is a very interesting and likeable one, as protagonists go. The raw for chapter 2 is out. It seems that he made some kind of funny announcment during the entrance ceremony. There are several other 1st year newcomers to the football club, alongside Matsuda. The newcomers did not seem particularly impressed or convinced by what their buchou was telling them at first. That seemed to change after Raihou demonstrated his skills firsthand for them. It was also funny watching him getting entangled in the net. At the end of the chapter, there seems to be another newcomer. I take it he is going to be another one of those calm, aloof types who is very talented and not impressed by the football club's level, eventaully being drawn in by the lead protagonist.

eni
December 07, 2008, 10:04 AM
Raw and translation for ch2 is out, btw:
http://mangahelpers.com/m/meister/chapters/02/

The guy on the very last page gave me a shock (due to the hair design). I thought for a moment that a page from Death Note got accidentally mixed up into the zip :sweat

Maxy Barnard
December 07, 2008, 01:35 PM
okay two chapters and it's pretty much my favourite WSJ series at present :\ worrying

only issue presentable of course being that like all sports manga it has to deal with the ensemble cast problems, but that's going well so far....

ah bring on more!

and eni, totally with ya on the death note hair, till i saw that face i was like wha?

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 09, 2008, 12:32 PM
Just read chapter 2.

Classical great-rival-from-a-strong-team making it´s appereance, perhaps? :p

Alexandrius
December 09, 2008, 12:41 PM
This seems pretty interesting. I've been looking for good sports mangas and I've recently read alot of the old Soccer mangas, and this is promising.

predsfan
December 09, 2008, 08:49 PM
Just read chapter 2.

Classical great-rival-from-a-strong-team making it´s appereance, perhaps? :p

He seems to be wearing the same school uniform as the rest, so I'm thinking he's going to be on their team. That's only if there is a difference b/w Junior teams and high school teams, or if they play each other. I am not to knowledgeable on how sports work in Japan during high school.

I was hoping he might be the goalkeeper, but it says he wore #10, and I don't think the keepers wear numbers that high (I'm no soccer expert mind you ;)). Seriously, I want to meet the keeper he's the only major position left where we don't have character for.

sir_arles
December 09, 2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about the goalkeeper too, but Nishiki clearly is not in this position...

Besides, the number 10 of the team is a very significative position: It's often the most skilled player, the control tower of the team and the one responsible of controlling the center and offensive part of the field.

For example, here in Argentina, to wear the number 10 shirt of the Argentinian Selection Team is the dream of a futbol player XD

So, I think Nishiki is a great player (and he has demonstrated his skills with the ball by the way he lifted it from the ground XD) that will make an awesome rival for Raiho =D
But NOT the goalkeeper =P
And I want to meet that guy too, since I am actually a futbol goalkeeper XD

See ya
Nos vemos

kaloo
December 09, 2008, 09:26 PM
I like the fact that the charactrs all seem memorable. Too many sport mangas focus on a few aces on the team and let the rest fade into the background. While I'm sure they will fade into the background as it progresses at least the appearences are fairly distinct.

eni
December 10, 2008, 03:55 AM
Hm, nothing much an author can do about. It's very hard to balance such a large number of characters in the foreground permanently. Stories that do that are often very complex and partly confusing (who's who again?). By building up a team of unique individuals, he already does a good job in that direction as he keeps them memorable for the reader. You can overdo such a concept too and fill the story with too many outstanding personalities, though.

Well, we'll have to see how it goes :amuse

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 10, 2008, 08:30 PM
He seems to be wearing the same school uniform as the rest, so I'm thinking he's going to be on their team.

Yep, didn´t notice that. Thanks. ;)

Too bad, though. All we DON´T need in this manga is some "typical-genius-serious-player" hanging around Satomi High.

The idea of having a team full of Meister-class freaks sounded SO FUN.

Too bad it lasted half-a-chapter(in case this guy join AND in case his personality is as boring as it looks). :p

Meromorphe
December 11, 2008, 04:09 PM
I did not find it starts better than Dogashi after two chapters. It may have the same fate. Good point: Drawings were didactic when the main character makes some dribbles.

Maxy Barnard
December 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
well i personally haven't had a series be this much fun to read in a long time of the online circuit (perhaps some of the ones on my shelf beat it but thats another story)

hopefully the new guy at the end of the chapter doesn't go the stereotypical road, something cool could happen here...

btw nigh on finished vote counting for Meister's place in the WSJ livejournal community's top 5 (part 1: current jump) is surprisingly good, we had a lot of votes and it's above a few other series :|

eni
December 11, 2008, 05:42 PM
btw nigh on finished vote counting for Meister's place in the WSJ livejournal community's top 5 (part 1: current jump) is surprisingly good, we had a lot of votes and it's above a few other series :|
You need more Japanese WSJ readers for a accurate result usable for future predictions :XD

Maxy Barnard
December 12, 2008, 09:23 AM
true but to have an idea of how well it's been received this early on by the online community is a start. if it's cancelled..... well i'll just whine like a bitch

Sexy Randal 105
December 12, 2008, 11:37 AM
true but to have an idea of how well it's been received this early on by the online community is a start. if it's cancelled..... well i'll just whine like a bitch

I'm surprised you haven't waited until an actual game to pass judgment. Well, there will probably be one soon enough. Or at least it seems that way.

shinigamikender
December 13, 2008, 01:40 AM
True, the real test of a good sports manga is definitely in how the games are handled. Considering the lead's approach to playing competitively, it should make for an interesting first match, at least.

Maxy Barnard
December 13, 2008, 03:39 PM
I'm surprised you haven't waited until an actual game to pass judgment. Well, there will probably be one soon enough. Or at least it seems that way.

well if eyeshield teaches anything the matches aren't everything. moreso what hints of how matches can go in the two opening chapters have pretty much solidified that they'll be pretty cool

Talakene
December 13, 2008, 08:58 PM
Xophien has translated chapter 3, by the by. Many thanks for the translation. Nishiki seems to be an interesting one, I think. I am curious about the reason he was not able to join the youth's team, whatever it was that Raihou perceived. There is supposed to be an accident next chapter in the 1 on 1, but I hope neither of them is injured, or only lightly. It would not do for either of them to be barred from football this early on because of an injury, and seeing as Nishiki just recovered from an injury last year, I would not want him hurt again, especially not so soon.

Xophien
December 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
This was a good 3rd chapter. I like how we saw Raiho snap already, most likely, in my opinion, because what Nishiki is doing here isn't playing football, he's just waiting for the ball and scoring. Football is a team sports, and on that last one, he should have passed the ball to the free player instead of pushing through by himself. Raiho wants to have fun more than actually scoring, so it's no wonder he's pissed :p

But if anything, I'll remember this manga for the Lucky star-like faces and the references (Char... :XD), it's cracking me up. And Kozue-chan is just too cute <3

Maxy Barnard
December 14, 2008, 10:08 AM
yeah i think it's pretty unquestionable that Raiho's pissed cause nishiki is denying the teamwork aspect of jump manga XD

I'm mildly hopeful that nishiki's not a character that sticks around though, like Raiho showing him who's boss teaches everyone in the team a lesson and he dissapears to another team. if only cause i want the excellent 5 that're already powerful characters to be fleshed out more....

still that won't happen, but Meister would have to try very hard to do me wrong *is an fanboy now it seems*

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 15, 2008, 04:05 PM
The references are indeed great. :p ("Please forgive the mistakes of one´s youth...") and Nishiki is not as bad as he could´ve been, but the whole "selfish player" thing sounds so cliche...:blink

Let´s see where this goes.

PS: Too much football scenes. :p I wanna see the characters hanging out in their school uniforms a little, chilling, talking about daily life stuff with each other, etc. I know the mangaka is problably desperate to display his "drawing football moves" skills, but it´s important to show that the characters are high schoolers, not pro players or somethin´. :p.

Maxy Barnard
December 15, 2008, 06:35 PM
eh, Tsubasa didn't bother with such trivial matters, so i can forgive this for doing the same so far. besides these first few weeks are important to establishing how the football team works, then we'll probably see some normal stuff on the side between matches occasionally

Xophien
December 15, 2008, 06:57 PM
Actually, I think it's the handling of both those trivial matters, as you said, and the sports stuff that makes a sports manga great. Seeing how the guys act in everyday life makes us care for them more when they're playing after all :amuse I think what makes ES21 so great is exactly that, the parts when they're not playing for character development (which is always limited during action) and the pretty art and awesomeness when they're playing. So far I'd say that Kuroko handles that better than Meister, but I think Meister's cast is just too promising for it not to improve :amuse

GARusashi
December 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
I honestly don't think any of the characters are anything interesting aside from the captain. The others are extremely forgettable, and their designs are god awful. Pompadour combined with a mullet?

Xophien
December 15, 2008, 07:29 PM
Cliché'd yankee, just like Taira's wild hair is cliché'd for a hikikomori. Both types being rather common in mangas, but in a sports manga? Especially with Taira as a central defender? I can't help being curious about him, and not because I'm kinda a hikikomori myself :p Matsudo is fairly standard, I'll admit, but he's there to be the straight man and react to all the other crazy things the others will do. Nishiki is uninteresting, I'll admit that too, but maybe he's just there so we can get to know Raiho better. And Kozu-chan is just too cute. So yeah, overall, I like the cast, even if it didn't left a crazy impression on me like Kuroko did (with Kuroko, Kagami and Riko, Kuroko only has three characters so far, but what characters!), it's still above average on my opinion :amuse

Oh, and Kai is Carles Puyol. Seriously.

sir_arles
December 15, 2008, 07:37 PM
Oh, and Kai is Carles Puyol. Seriously.

HAHAAHAHHAAH!!! :D

I think that crossed everyone's minds, hahaha!

See ya
Nos vemos

GARusashi
December 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think Kuroko will develop similar to how Eyeshield developed, and it's not a broken formula. They'll slowly build their team to a 5 man powerhouse team, and become somewhat like a new Generation of Miracles.

But in Meister, the team is pretty much done already, at least I'm guessing that. They're showing off the main characters now, and will develop them slowly throughout the various matches.

That's why I think Kuroko will do better, because it has more room to grow than Meister does. Or that may be Kuroko's downfall, because the way JUMP series have been going down the tubes before anything really gets to develop.

I like Bokkesan more than both of these series' though :p

Maxy Barnard
December 16, 2008, 12:45 PM
Jump Fact: Kaji Kimiya was on the Staff for Pretty Face by Yasuhiro Kano as an assisstant

there, now my rampant fanboyism is hidden behind my jump scholarliness

Tensai_Sakuragi
December 16, 2008, 02:57 PM
A really good sports series NEEDS to bother with said "trivial matters". :p

It´s important for the reader to CARE about the characters, to think of them as friends, or at least to think of them as "cool dudes". :amuse
This way, you can really CHEER for them during matches. You can really wish for them to win and conquer their goals, despite how likeable the antagonists may also prove to be.

A series that only works in the "sports" aspect and forgets the "slice of life" aspect can be called "good" if the sports matches and the drawings are awesome, but it can only go so far.
If the author wants the readers to remember his characters 5, 10 years later after the end of his series, the reader must see the characters outside the "sports" context sometimes. Hanging out, eating breakfast with their families, arguing with each other, getting into fights, all of that high schooler stuff.

I know, I know. We are still in chapter 3. No need for me to be preaching or shit like that. Maybe the author WILL show us all that.

It´s just that, as I said...too much football scenes non-stop in these 3 chapters. :p

Hayashida
December 16, 2008, 08:24 PM
i think im gonna love meister however it turns out
but yeah, the "wholeness" of eyeshield is definately what keeps me reading

Xophien
December 17, 2008, 07:53 AM
Don't know why I didn't notice that sooner. While looking on wiki for info about Kaji-sensei, I found out the name of Meister's main character, Aragishi Raiho, was taken from the lead singer of the Finnish band Children of Bodom, Alexi Raiho :XD Heck, in the first chapter, Raiho was even wearing a COBHC (Children Of Bodom Hate Crew) t-shirt :rofl

Maxy Barnard
December 17, 2008, 08:39 AM
that is perhaps the coolest random fact that i'd never noticed. Damn you Xoph for being more scholarly than me!

eni
December 17, 2008, 08:43 AM
Don't know why I didn't notice that sooner. While looking on wiki for info about Kaji-sensei, I found out the name of Meister's main character, Aragishi Raiho, was taken from the lead singer of the Finnish band Children of Bodom, Alexi Raiho :XD Heck, in the first chapter, Raiho was even wearing a COBHC (Children Of Bodom Hate Crew) t-shirt :rofl
That is amazing - heck, why didn't I noticed? :XD

I love this manga already and if it's just for it's awesome creator :luv

Sexy Randal 105
December 17, 2008, 12:26 PM

Hahahahahaha! Wow! I take it the mangaka likes speed metal then. =P

It's be better if he were making reference to Rhapsody. I don't like Children of Bodom that much. They aren't epic enough.

Hayashida
December 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
lol thats great, i love mangakas that slip in mad references. like soul eater, constant music and twin peaks references

was about to check em out when i thought, wait....Finnish? gotta be metal :tem

Maxy Barnard
December 21, 2008, 04:36 AM
Okay, next chapter is out,
and whilst most of us figured out it was his lack of team play that annoyed Raiho, his caring attitude being thrown in really rather than it just being rage at that really caught me off guard. so Raiho continues to be one of the most interesting protagonists, and....... Nishiki continues to be a little bland. hopefully next chapter's reveal of his burden will help me like him even a little bit as much as the rest of this awesome ensemble crew

Sexy Randal 105
December 22, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm still waiting for something more interesting to happen in the story. But I suppose Eyeshield took a volume or two to get good and I love that series. I will give Meister some time. (As long as Bokke-san's safe >_>)

Talakene
December 23, 2008, 12:04 AM
I was worried about those bandages wrapped around Nishiki's knees. I hope Raiho has persuaded him to take better care of his body now and keep team spirit in mind. Raiho again shows that he is rather likeable. I am curious about Nishiki's burden. We will see soon enough.

Hayashida
December 23, 2008, 12:23 AM
im thinking Nishiki's burden is all about pressure.
he instantly noticed the lack of pressure from a pass, and alot of kids generally cop pressure from parents the better they get at a sport...and they live in japan...

and yeah, loving Raiho's Luffy-like freshness

dens-09
December 23, 2008, 02:37 AM
Series Information

In the Chiba round of last year's,
National High School Soccer Championships,
Satomi Highh caused quite a stir when they made the final four despite being a new school with only first year students.
Joining the tournament top-scorer, captain Raiho Aragishi, and the team is 192cm tall new student Taku Matsudo, and a new winning streak is about to begin!

Talakene
January 03, 2009, 04:43 AM
Many thanks to Xophien for translating chapter 5. Who would have guessed that Nishiki had such a large family ^_^ So it was family pressure then. It is somehow funny that he got into Satomi High because of a vacancy though, seeing as even Kiichi was able to pass the examination. Nishiki does not look like the type that would be bad at studying, but one cannot judge by appearance alone and all that. It is an idiosyncracy that helps to flesh him out.

It seems that Nishiki is also something of a straight man as Matsudo is for the rest of the team's wild, hilarious ways. Speaking of which, it is curious that Nishiki and Matsudo do not seem to work well together on the field, as that pass demonstrated. I guess their thoughts are not on the same wavelength. After the match, it would be nice to see the lot of them in their everyday lives. That can wait until afterwards, though.

So with the major characters of the team all introduced, it is time for the first match :D Against Kuromine no less, the team that defeated them so soundly last year. An excellent chance to show Kuromine how much stronger they have become and have fun while winning this football match. I do hope that Matsudo and Nishiki catch more of that hot-blooded spirit with time. In the words of Raiho, "Bring it on, Kuromine!" :)

Crude
January 03, 2009, 11:46 AM
It's awesome that the first team they're going to play against is the one who beat them during the semi-finals the last year. I'm a little confused about what Nishiki's going to do now: Is he going to stop rushing towards the opponent's goal, and instead focus on scoring goals from around the middle of the field?

ssjohn
January 09, 2009, 08:02 PM
I just got around to reading this manga (I know 5 chapters in! how dare i wait so long -.-), I am surprisingly shocked by this series lol, I didn't really think I was going to like it, but as the story progressed and they started playing i started getting really interested and wanting to see how this 'team' will develop and how these players will adapt with a 'little punk' for a captain lol.

Alexandrius
January 18, 2009, 06:52 AM
So anything new on the latest RAW?

Talakene
January 18, 2009, 03:30 PM
Xophien has translated it, many thanks. It starts with an introduction of the top 4 teams in Chiba, each with a distinctive character. Kuromine is a stepping block to show how strong Satomi has become. A near miracle that they will win? Well, that definitely guarantees a wonderful win for Satomi. After all, Raiho and the others still need to face and triumph over the reigning champion of Rikuou. Based on the scouting, Kuromine has been improving their defense, but then Raiho and the others have also improved, along with having Nishiki and Matsudo this year. It was hilarious that Koori had Nishiki wear a mohak wig ^_^

I wonder if Satomi will have to face Toonomiya. Hopefully not, they seem like a rather frightening lot. I think Satomi may have to face Ten'you, though. Given that the players in Satomi focus on what they are best at, that may be a problem against Ten'you, whose players are well-rounded and can all play at least three positions. The Ten'you players all seem so glamorous and lovely, don' they? Out of the top 4, I like Ten'you the most, at least based on the information given, though of course I still like Satomi the best.

Next chapter is the start of the match. I wonder how the pacing will go, how many chapters will be devoted to the 1st match. I look forward to it ^_^

Ustegius
January 19, 2009, 11:52 AM
Just started with this manga. 2 chapters so far so good. It feels kinda weird to read a manga about sport you know and like. Thus far if read about amefuto, tennis, racing and baskettball. Out of those I'm not really interested in any sport (expect basketball).

The outgoing main character is really fresh. All 'kawaiii', has a good taste (in manga (nausicaä, macross) and listens finnish metal. Btw, it is actually Alexi Laiho, not Raiho, but I know there is some similarities between l&r in japanese. (Zoro versus Zolo, for example).

I truly hope this turns out to be good, 'cause I'm not really sure do I like the other characters that much. Well, there hasn't been much development yet (chapter 2, duh).

Talakene
January 31, 2009, 01:44 AM
Taking chapters 7 and 8 together, Satomi got the first shot, though it was deflected by Kuromine's captain, and now Kuromine's 1st year striker has scored the 1st goal, ending with Kuromine's captain making some kind of remark, most likely gloating, the Light burn him. Well, as Raiho said, facing a strong opponent is what makes football fun.

Satomi will win, that was never in question. I am simply curious how they will do so from this point, since Kuromine supposedly usually wins if they score the 1st goal. From last chapter and this one, passing is going to be particularly crucial in this game for Satomi, considering that Kuromine focuses so much on defense. Hence the reason why Raiho had the others work so much on their passing technique.

Even with how tight Satomi's passes are, it will not do any good if they cannot penetrate that bloody defense. Hence, Matsudo as an attacking midfielder and Nishiki as a fellow forward will also be vital to evening and then tipping the score in Satomi's favor. In the mean time, Kuromine's forward is also troublesome. I wonder what strategy Taira and the other defenders are going to utilize to deal with him to stop Kuromine from scoring more goals.

[Cross]
February 04, 2009, 10:52 PM
Reading the chapter, my guess is that Raiho has something planned to get around it, considering that he figured out a training method to allow the team to pass amongst the defense soon after they lost to the team. It'd be interesting to see how Raiho's strategic prowess goes into the outcome of these games.

fxu
February 06, 2009, 07:18 PM
Looking at the raw... I see the hikikomori used his head.

Every time the ball came he tried to get in front of the player so he would be offside. Good technique.

Talakene
February 07, 2009, 04:04 AM
It is actually not surprising, in retrospect. Kiichi did remark in an earlier chapter that Koori is very good and sneaky at making offside traps. Kiichi's pass to Raiho was also quite impressive, misleading Kuromine's defenders as it did.

Koori and Kiichi seemed to be talking about their pasts. Those two have a hilarious relationship. Despite, or perhaps because of all their bickering, they seem to be very good friends. It was also funny watching Taira further spook Kuromine's forward ^_~

Excellent. Now Satomi has caught up, showing how much they have improved. It would have been nice to see Kuromine's coach have his expression change from smugness to shock. Next chapter, it would be pleasing to see Nishiki scoring a goal as well. Raiho certainly knows how to keep the team's spirit up. Keep it up and win magnificently, Satomi. Ganbatte ^_^

eni
February 08, 2009, 12:33 PM
#12 (16/02) :
Meister (End)

This manga is announced to end in the next issue of WSJ, on sale February 16, 2009. We'll mark this thread as either 'dropped' or 'complete' once we got the final chapter. Let's hope for some kind of round-up at the end :/

Maxy Barnard
February 08, 2009, 01:30 PM
what can i say other than fuuuuuuuuuuck

Talakene
February 08, 2009, 06:10 PM
Light, I am going to miss Meister. I was very fond of it T_T

Tensai_Sakuragi
February 09, 2009, 02:12 PM
Shit, that was fast.

Such a shame. This had potential. :(

sir_arles
February 09, 2009, 02:22 PM
I'm very upset to...

But at this point there's nothing we can do... =(

See ya

Maxy Barnard
February 09, 2009, 02:43 PM
well i'm gonna do my bit for Kimiya by actually buying the tankobon/s when it/they are out

ItzRayz
February 10, 2009, 01:05 PM
well shit, it was fun while it lasted.

bax
February 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
I can't help to feel that the manga actually is drowned by long running (and still is) Captain Tsubasa. By popularity, there's no way Meister can compete with CT, and plus they're about the same sport. So I guess comparing the two is unavoidable.

Xophien
February 10, 2009, 03:37 PM
And I have to disagree with you, bax, because if that was really the case, then with Slam Dunk being more popular than pretty much every other sports manga released, that'd mean any new basketball mangas is doomed from the start (and Kuroko doesn't seem to). What caused the downfall of Meister is its own flaws in my opinion, mostly its storytelling that wasn't really fitting a sports manga. Great characters weren't enough to satisfy the readers. I'll admit that the kings of the genre, Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa, have set up standards that create higher expectations, hard to meet given that sports manga is a genre that's honestly hard to renew, but I wouldn't blame everything on them >.>

Tensai_Sakuragi
February 10, 2009, 07:44 PM
And I have to disagree with you, bax, because if that was really the case, then with Slam Dunk being more popular than pretty much every other sports manga released, that'd mean any new basketball mangas is doomed from the start (and Kuroko doesn't seem to).

Yeah, you can´t blame shit on the classics.
No matter how "untouchable" Slam Dunk may be, you still have TONS of basketball manga out there, and some are pretty successful(Dear Boys, Ahiru no Sora). That´s the same as saying that no baseball manga would be successful after Touch, and then you have H2(same author, but still), Major, Oofuri...:amuse

It´s just a matter of being interesting and well-written. People won´t stop buying it because it was already done in the past. ;)

What caused the downfall of Meister is its own flaws in my opinion, mostly its storytelling that wasn't really fitting a sports manga. Great characters weren't enough to satisfy the readers. I'll admit that the kings of the genre, Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa, have set up standards that create higher expectations, hard to meet given that sports manga is a genre that's honestly hard to renew, but I wouldn't blame everything on them >.>

Captain Tsubasa´s standards aren´t that high yo.
Even if it has an enormous fanbase, it´s still from the early 80s, a time when "super-sports-manga" were big. It keeps surviving due to that original fanbase, but it´s hard for it to bring in NEW BLOOD into the fanbase. Younger fans. Nowadays, the thought of teenagers battling it out in a field while jumping 10+ meters for a header is rather chessy. :p
So new manga like Whitle and Area no Kishi have been pretty successful while showing "realistic soccer".

Too bad Meister couldn´t follow the same trend. :notrust

bax
February 11, 2009, 08:36 AM
Speaking of characters in Meister, I actually failed to find anything interesting in them. Maybe some of them are "new", yes, but I personally found most of them are plainly the standard shounen characters anyway. And yeah, this prolly goes for the series in general too.

And as for the genre, I personally believe that it's all in all, comparable. After Slam Dunk, Inoue went on to make his alien basketball matches in Buzzer Beater >.>; Probaly a setting too contrast from his Slam Dunk, made it happened. And how many basketball manga appeared in WSJ anyway? Can't find enough good basketball series that was published in WSJ to make a good comparison.

Alexandrius
February 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Crap. I like Football mangas in general. Even though I hate Captain Tsubasa due to every character looking exactly the same, the art is terrible and that kills it for me. So it's sad that this got dropped this quickly, but sports mangas are doomed to be dropped early due to the general lack of interest.

Tensai_Sakuragi
February 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
So it's sad that this got dropped this quickly, but sports mangas are doomed to be dropped early in Shonen Jump due to the general lack of interest.

Fixed.
Sunday and Magazine are like "sports manga heaven".
Jump readers are just...uh...different, I guess. :p

Alexandrius
February 12, 2009, 07:56 PM
Fixed.
Sunday and Magazine are like "sports manga heaven".
Jump readers are just...uh...different, I guess. :p

Right, I meant Shonen Jump. WSJ readers in Japan are too picky.

Shurou
February 13, 2009, 08:00 PM
Well that ended pretty fast... -____-

Maxy Barnard
February 14, 2009, 06:40 AM
it's one of 4 WSJ series that has ended at 10 chapters in the last coupla years... only chagecha's done worse at 8 chapters.... damn jump

Sorata
February 14, 2009, 11:26 PM
Well i´m a big sports manga fan, so i was already ready for the end of this manga, if KO Sen and Dogashi Kaden couldn´t survive, there was no way that this would survive, it was fun but nothing new or inovative.

For example i since the begining said that Kuroko no Basket would be able to survive, it´s a much more inovative manga and to survive in WSJ sports manga need to have some inovation(just like the famous Eyeshield 21).

bax
February 15, 2009, 12:09 AM
Right, I meant Shonen Jump. WSJ readers in Japan are too picky.

Can't exactly blame them. Different geographic, different culture, different people will result in different tastes :p

Although, I always say this: We have no rights whatsoever of what manga should be in WSJ or to complain about cancellations/drops. The magazine is tailor made by Japanese for Japanese readers (most of the time though, a few exceptions exist I guess). We're not the target audience, although we (including the official license holders) are just leeching the manga in it for our own benefits or taking advantage of them. The best we can do is mourn >.>;;

chusetto
February 15, 2009, 05:24 AM
What? It's already finished... ¬¬

Since Captain Tsubasa, and Slam Dunk, a spokon in WSJ hasn't lasted a breath... Eyeshield 21 is the exception...

I hope Kuroko no Basket last a little more...

Xophien
February 15, 2009, 06:04 AM
Since Captain Tsubasa, and Slam Dunk, a spokon in WSJ hasn't lasted a breath... Eyeshield 21 is the exception...

And Prince of Tennis.

Oh well, I still look forward to Kaji-sensei's next work, but I hope it won't be a sports manga, I don't think his storytelling fits the genre... :darn

chusetto
February 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
Oh! I forgot! XD Thanks for reminding me Tennis no Oujisama...

crazy_horse1989
February 15, 2009, 05:42 PM
is it wrong of me if i want to see those at Shueisha dead, one by one? >_>

well, it was fun while it lasted... but it had potential... i don`t want Kuroko no Basket canceled, too... o_O

Maxy Barnard
February 15, 2009, 06:00 PM
well as we all pretty much think now, jump needs to reform how to promote stuff, or even how quickly they ditch on series. at it's most basic most series should get a 25 chapter run just to show it's stuff. series like this, m&y, chagecha, jyuki ningen jumbor, hands, they all never got a good chance to strut their stuff (well, i say that, hands and chagecha weren't up my alley)

Tensai_Sakuragi
February 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
What? It's already finished... ¬¬

Whistle.
Mr Fullswing.
Hikaru no Go.
Rookies.

...and all of them are MUCH better than Prince of Tennis. :p

I hope Kuroko no Basket last a little more...

I second that. ;)

Alexandrius
February 16, 2009, 09:00 AM
Can't exactly blame them. Different geographic, different culture, different people will result in different tastes :p

Although, I always say this: We have no rights whatsoever of what manga should be in WSJ or to complain about cancellations/drops. The magazine is tailor made by Japanese for Japanese readers (most of the time though, a few exceptions exist I guess). We're not the target audience, although we (including the official license holders) are just leeching the manga in it for our own benefits or taking advantage of them. The best we can do is mourn >.>;;

Lawls. Even if I'm not the one aimed at I can still whine about how a manga I wanted to go on didn't :3

bax
February 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
Lawls. Even if I'm not the one aimed at I can still whine about how a manga I wanted to go on didn't :3

:XD
Not that I say you can't, but then, after a long time reading manga and quite a few times this kind of thing happened to the manga I was reading, I guess I've come to terms with it and just accept it as swiftly as the manga come and go xD

I just can't feel sad or disappointed anymore -_-; Probably will if this happens to One Piece, but as it is, the only way One Piece to end prematurely is by the death of Oda-sensei.

Maxy Barnard
February 16, 2009, 10:03 AM
my problem is that if i find a series i like i can't let go of it. meister... well i can with that because whilst it was great from the get go it suffered greatly from having nowhere to really go from there... woulda made a great one shot or two

but then it's not as bad as when i get my hopes up about gag manga (which only ever results in sadness nowadays for me) so i can't complain...

anyway, to be more on topic, this'll be split into two volumes judging by the last page of chapter 10... which means they'll either be tiny, or contain a fair amount of extras.... so something to look forward to there