PDA

View Full Version : Complete Bokke-san by Yoshiyuki Nishi (Muhyo)

Sexy Randal 105
December 12, 2008, 11:34 AM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/3513/up324090kg3.jpg (http://img338.imageshack.us/my.php?image=up324090kg3.jpg)
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/up324090kg3.jpg/1/w200.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img338/up324090kg3.jpg/1/)
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/4843/nouvelleimage2aj4.png

Bokke-san by Nishi Yoshiyuki (http://mangahelpers.com/m/bokkesan)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2009 #3 (release date 22 Dec 2008)

About the series:
Hino is a very invtroverted young boy. In the city (district) Matsuroba, Hino is being considered as a very strange boy and his friends laugh with him. There is still one person who cares about him, Sayu, een young girl of his class whom gets a lot of attention. One day fate changes, when Sayu and Hino have to save a little girl whose mother was killed by a bokke. Hino forced, to save them, discovers a whole new personality in him...

About the Author:
Nishi Yoshiyuki, Ex-assistant of Riichiro Inagaki and Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21), a manga artist well-known for creating Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation. Other works he has done: Nishitani Sensei no Daiboken, a one shot that appeared not so long ago in square jump.

Hijacking the thread to add more info.

[hr]
Heeeeeeeee's baaaaack! Mangaka of Muhyo and Roji's BSI is back for another series! This time it's called Bokke-san. Details are slim now but apparently it's about an "incident" that happened to the above protagonist and he (or she? You can never tell in manga) had a curse or something on her.

Should be interesting. Maybe Nishi will finally get the anime he deserves if it does well. Muhyo didn't get him enough recognition.

shinigamikender
December 13, 2008, 01:32 AM
... I'm in love with the preview art already.

I was excited about Nishi getting a new series at all, but this looks incredibly promising.

Lingwe
December 14, 2008, 09:17 PM
I was able to skim over it although I haven't read it indepth since I didn't buy the magazine. The main character showed off some sort of cat powers (i.e cat claws and jumping all over the room). I think it might have something to do with the masks that he is holding in the colour page since he was wearing the mask that looked kind of like a cat (and so if he wore the pig one he would have pig powers?).

Anyway I hope the raws come online soon since it looked pretty good.

Sexy Randal 105
December 15, 2008, 12:23 AM
That sounds like a pretty cool concept. A lot better than Muhyo's IMO.

Lingwe
December 15, 2008, 01:37 AM
I went ahead and bought the mag so I could read more indepth.

Turns out the main character Hino gets his cat powers from being a bokke, which is something like an urban legend, except he is like a human...or something like that. I guess it will be explained more in later chapters. It's also where the title of the manga comes from.

Oh and Hino doesn't speak except for random sounds and whispers to himself, which is pretty funny considering he is the main character.

GARusashi
December 15, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'm glad that this looks like it'll be somewhat more of a battle manga. I like sports and all but typical shonen battle mangas are my favorites. And the character design and powers in this are pretty amazing, I hope this gets a scanlation soon.

Sexy Randal 105
December 15, 2008, 11:31 AM
That sounds really cool. I'm excited about this new series. Nishi looks like he's going to do well with this one.

barbapapa
December 15, 2008, 12:01 PM
Hope to see this translated. Nishi has an interesting style.

Koen
December 15, 2008, 12:06 PM

That's been a long time :)

I second to what you said. I enjoy reading his muhyo to roujie because of the style (the art is cool :)). I wonder how this will work out

on a sidenote: lingwe said he'll try out translating. Let's hope someone is interested in scanlating it

Sexy Randal 105
December 15, 2008, 12:16 PM

Barba! You're not dead!

I think that the art style he is using for Bokke-san is a lot more attractive than Muhyo's.

Maxy Barnard
December 15, 2008, 12:44 PM
Barba approves, i'm intrigued! I personally found ilke the first 20-30 pages really boring, but it's pretty damn good. No muhyo visually though in any way.

Crude
December 15, 2008, 02:50 PM
Never read Muhyo, but from what I've read (and seen) this looks more interesting.

ryusuke_
December 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
I really like Nishi's drawing style, I hope some group gives this new series a try and the international community can enjoy it as well.

Sexy Randal 105
December 16, 2008, 11:57 AM
Cat powers are fun. :D

Alexandrius
December 16, 2008, 05:55 PM
Muhyo never got the attention it deserved, I hope this will be as good.

Sexy Randal 105
December 17, 2008, 11:55 AM
This seems a little more mainstream than Muhyo was.

Hayashida
December 17, 2008, 11:28 PM
its pretty damn cool
i love the folklore stuff :D

Sexy Randal 105
December 19, 2008, 12:23 PM
Is anybody scanlating?

ryusuke_
December 19, 2008, 01:34 PM
This really deservers some more love, I hope an scanlation shows up..

zefur
December 19, 2008, 07:35 PM
Has any1 decided to scan this yet it seems really good im trying to learn so i could use this as my practice 1st release if no1 scans it

Lingwe
December 20, 2008, 04:33 AM
I'm hoping that someone will scanlate it soon, especially since the second chapter is out now as well.

zefur
December 20, 2008, 05:12 AM
If i can get the time i will try but it will be my first time scanlating so it may b bad

Koen
December 20, 2008, 06:55 AM
hmmm... I thought I saw under chapter 1translation as a comment: someone would scanlate this. Don't forget the 1ste chapter is crappola quality (VLQ = VERY Low Quality). It can take some times, but I'll see what I can do ;)

saying this will be more mainstream than muhyo is farfetched AT THE MOMENT. We're only 2 chapters far, I think it'll walk the way of muhyo but then again different too. Thanks a lot lingwe

momodaisuki
December 20, 2008, 09:24 AM
Ohhh, another manga by Nishi♡ I agree, Muhyo didn't get enough attention - It's so lacking in popularity, I never even got to see what happened in the end ; _ ;

But I sure hope this one turns out good! This is my first time coming across a guy Nekomimi (Cat-ears) main character & it is indeed Moe :XD (Can't blame Kimo-oka for acting that way.) Oh yes, and it's nice to see the Jump system potentially coming into play already lol (i.e. Fight bad guy --> good guy)

GARusashi
December 20, 2008, 10:43 AM
Did he get lightning/electricity powers in this one? Can't wait for an explanation of his powers.

Crude
December 22, 2008, 06:15 PM
Well it took a while (mostly having to due with the fact that it's the first chapter and has 62 pages!), but I've finished my scanlation of chapter 01. Enjoy!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/i1gdk0tozuv/!!! Scans - Bokke-san 01.rar

eni
December 22, 2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the scan :amuse

Hm, doesn't look like something appealing to me. I better lay it to the side for a while and try again when more chapters are out.

This is my first time coming across a guy Nekomimi (Cat-ears) main character & it is indeed Moe :XD
Oh come on, nobody beats Ritsuka (http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=de&q=ritsuka+loveless) in being Nekomimi & Moe :oh

Koen
December 22, 2008, 08:01 PM
Cool to see a scanlation. thanks a lot

Anyway two chapters aren't enough to tell a lot about this manga. I do wonder if bokke is a true based japanese folklore element. Tried to search about bokke but couldn't find anything. The art of Nishi is so good...

Look foward to more

Sexy Randal 105
December 23, 2008, 12:34 AM
The concept is good. Nishi always takes some time to get going. I have faith in him.

Crude
December 23, 2008, 04:40 PM
Chapter 2 scanlation is out:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=0160879ac671597ed2db6fb9a8902bda

About the chapter, I thought Hino got his powers by wearing different masks, though this chapter offers a different theory, a less interesting one.

zefur
December 23, 2008, 05:22 PM
Im still gna release my version because iv spent tooo much time on it to just give up plus i think its better =p (ofcourse i would i slaved over its my baby lol) when its released please leave a comment even if youve read the other version on how i could do better cos it will be my first release neways back on topic Iv never read nishi's other manga so its totally new to me an i like it tho i like the typical super power protaganist the its done now just shows that there will be other gods in the series that he will have to take on because him going against normal Bokke would be over kill

Crude
December 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
I know what you mean. Chapter 1 took ages... I don't know why I got competitive and kept checking if someone had posted their scan.

Galactic Tomahawk
December 23, 2008, 09:11 PM
Pretty interesting so far. I think it could benefit from a more cohesive narrative, but it has potential if it gets a chance to go anywhere.

Now that I've said that watch it get cancelled in 10 chapters.

Sexy Randal 105
December 23, 2008, 10:17 PM
Chapter 2 makes it apparent that Nishi knows the direction of Bokke-san's story. It seems like the start won't be a formulaic "Monster of the week" setup like Muhyo started off with. The new villain looks really cool. He looks unlike anything that was in Muhyo. I think the whole Bokke concept will combine japanese mythology with new age battle manga. I really think Nishi will do well with this series.

Lingwe
December 24, 2008, 04:50 AM
Heh heh, first it was taking a long time for the first chapter to be scanlated and now there are three seperate versions.

I really like Hino, I don't think I've come across any other main character like him. Plus with Nishi's drawing style he looks really cute. I'll be interested to see where the story goes.

Maxy Barnard
December 24, 2008, 05:09 AM
chapter 2 was kinda lacking, didn't feel like it had any of the interest or spark that the first chapter did.... which is a shame, but still it has a chance to pick up again, especially with the end of the chapter

Koen
December 24, 2008, 11:21 AM
Anyway the god of cat + the district mistery (some bokke territory) is what I call a decent (to good) start

@randal: nice prediction, you made. I agree this isn't the formulaic start as muhyo had. On the contrary we get to know an important element very fast. The new age battle and the japanese folklore is a possibility.

I do not agree with you calling the guy a villain. Did he really have bad intentions? He attacked as soon as hino was being referred as a bokke. It ends with him saying you can't control it. So my guess: the bokke hino had to face was a controlled (by those strange old looking freaks) bokke for bad intentions, on the other hand it seems there are bokke who can control themself and are free willed.

My guess: I think the dude attacked hino and sayu because he thought they were some dangerous bokke couple (one being the bokke, the other being its master)

Galactic Tomahawk
January 01, 2009, 07:18 AM
Third chapter was by far my favorite so far, I'm really liking the direction things are going here.

Hoping the ice guy becomes a main character on some level.

Koen
January 06, 2009, 03:11 AM
A good chapter: we got to know why hino was considered a zero instead of a hero though he saved sayu. The mangaka decided to give us more background information that fast which is something you rarely see (most times you have to wait longer)...

So it seems the bokke nature can be controlled. That rockstar bokke - whose name I forgot - seems to be a good guy. I wonder what's the deal behind that strange town (town of bokke). So far I like this, I look forward which the manga will progress

Crude
January 06, 2009, 02:24 PM
Matsubora (Matsuroba?) town looks like a really interesting place! I'm loving how old fashioned the hillside town looks, especially the cramped buildings. The Bokke town also looked pretty cool.

ryusuke_
January 06, 2009, 04:41 PM
I didn't actually like that new guy too much; but I'm really excited about the boy getting to know so soon about "his existence" and that world where the bokke gather, this is getting really interesting.

Maxy Barnard
January 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
im not gonna lie... bokke sans kinda bland and uninteresting to me still, though its a hard call so early on... but the high energy of the other two newbies just ape it in every way to me...

pirate-hitman:L
January 06, 2009, 08:44 PM
This and Meister are tied for my favorite newcomers. I'm still reading Muhyo and Roji(I just got volume 8) so I can compare them side by side.

Hayashida
January 07, 2009, 02:51 AM
yeah im with ya on that noodles
the whole bokke folklore stuff is interesting, but the way its all coming about its just....yeah, bland

i hope it picks up but at this point meisters the only newcomer that keeps me itching to read

Koen
January 07, 2009, 03:05 AM
I know what you guys feel like - saying it's all bland. But don't forget or at least, you could have expected it, that all the bokke history is the big mistery of this manga. Imo the mangaka - in contrast to you - gave me a good feeling:

all this bokke thing happened suddenly: the murders, hino changing into a nekokami, the bokke town, etc... That's the purpose of this manga -> you get to know things but then again you'll get sucked in more suspense. I think the mangaka is doing fairly good by giving us the elements for what CAN be a solid story. I didn't read the other 2 so it's obvious this one is my best newcomer :p

Lingwe
January 07, 2009, 06:16 AM
I don't like sports manga so it's obvious this one is my favourite newcomer. Hopefully they all last a decent while at least though.

Galactic Tomahawk
January 07, 2009, 12:27 PM
The only one I really see definitely succeeding is Meister. I'm not really following it but it seems like it has what's necessary to gain popularity quickly and make a long running series.

I kinda see Bokke-san going the same way as Chagecha before long, with maybe a little bit more promotion prior to it's death. It's relatively slow start probably isn't helping things in a magazine like Jump either.

Edit: Translated, the latter half of the chapter reminded me a lot of Spirited Away. Thought that was pretty cool.

Crude
January 07, 2009, 03:52 PM
Now that you mention it, I'm also seeing similarities to Spirited Away, though they're mostly stylistic.

Hayashida
January 07, 2009, 06:25 PM
yeah, no offence intended
i really like nishi's idea and hope it pulls through, but at the moment...

Koen
January 07, 2009, 07:10 PM
Well let's see what it'll bring. You can't judge a manga on three chapters. Though I agree having some present negative feeling is of course a possibility.

Don't forget, his muhyo started to get interesting at the end of volume 1 (irrc even the beginning of volume 2). But I really think within next 3-4 chapters we'll know more about the bokke.

Maxy Barnard
January 07, 2009, 07:19 PM
well ive only got through the first 5 volumes of muhyo, but that was interesting from the get go to me. but yeah time will tell

Lingwe
January 21, 2009, 06:39 AM
The translation for the 4koma you can find in here
http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1165414&postcount=209

Hino and Sayu's New Years Wish

-This year I hope
-that Hino will speak.
-Hey...
-What's your wish Hino?
-Hey, don't ignore me.
-(handwritten next to sayu)Cheapskate
-Hino's wish to have "A gentle year" was already broken
[hr]
Sorry it`s taking longer than usual for the next chapter. My family came to Japan for the week so I was showing them around, and now I`m on a holiday travelling around, so I don`t really have that much time for it at the moment, but I`ll try and get it out around the same time as the next chapter so you`ll have two in a row.

Koen
January 29, 2009, 07:59 AM
Nishi is doing a great work. Very interesting manga that sucks you in a sphere of suspense. I expect within some chapters to have som relevation to all this (bokke and the northren vs southren district)

Crude
January 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
This manga can get a little confusing at times, but I think this is the current plot:

- Hino has always had psychic abilities, and one day used them to save
Sayu.
- Hino became famous after that event, even appearing on television,
although he was seen as a freak afterwards, eventually not talking anymore.
- One day he and Sayu were attacked by a Bokke who was after a little girl.
Hino saved both Sayu and the girl once he awakened his powers, revealed
to be Nekogami powers by another Bokke.
- 5 days after the events of the first chapter, murders continue to arise all
around Matsuroba town. The North and South districts seem to have a
rivalry, also present in the Bokke population. Hino is seen as a new recruit
for the northern Bokke, from the point of view of the southern Bokke.
- Hino is attacked by a young Bokke who threatens Sayu. The Bokke loses in
the fight against Hino, and begs for forgiveness.

Am I right, or are there some mistakes/misinterpretations?

Maxy Barnard
January 29, 2009, 05:44 PM
hmmm even when summarised it's still bland, uninteresting and overcomplicated for somethign that could be so straightforward. nishi's screwed up here, but knowing how it goes it'll be lapped up by the japanese fanbase after a while

Koen
January 29, 2009, 05:49 PM
How can this be confusing? It's easy. Hino had his bokke powers when he was very young. But he wasn't aware of the bokke as for most people btw who prolly knew about his supernatural power. But he failed on some show. Due to circumstances the girl and the serial murder. He starts to know more about his power, specifically: it has to do with bokke. Btw I even think lots of humans don't know about bokke. They are simply thinking it's serial killing. But yeah a narrator text during the detective's scenes makes it think he knows more. Never say never though. Bokke-san is intruiging

@cudecross: you see, you do understand it ;)

Maxy Barnard
January 30, 2009, 06:06 PM
hmm youre right now it's not confusing. it's just mediocre and uninteresting to me so far in (detective excluded, he's kinda interesting)

Galactic Tomahawk
February 04, 2009, 09:49 AM
I gotta agree that it's presentation was kinda confusing. The plot itself makes sense when you lay it out like that but I think he dropped the ball with the early narrative.

It is catching my interest again though, now that it has a clearer direction it's going in and a chance of NOT failing miserably. I like the way it's been tying things together in the last few chapters.

Koen
February 13, 2009, 06:15 PM
Pretty amazed in a positive way about chapter 6. It explains some important matters. So hino fought a bokke of a high level :) So the mask was indeed a power of source for hino. This manga is so great and together with muhyo, nishi knows how to make a manga very awesome

Maxy Barnard
February 13, 2009, 06:41 PM
5 chapters....

5 chapters to get to the point about the masks that i'm pretty sure we all expected... the pacing is still so far outta whack it's not even funny... long way to go to reach muhyo level here

Koen
February 13, 2009, 07:31 PM
5 chapters....

5 chapters to get to the point about the masks that i'm pretty sure we all expected... the pacing is still so far outta whack it's not even funny... long way to go to reach muhyo level here

I do not agree with that. Read muhyo's 5 first chapters and you have a stand alone "clueless" story too. Imo this one adds faster important element to its story. It's not only about the mask. We also get to know more about the bokke itself, that ring guy seemed very important to those new ones, etc... I won't say bokke is better than muhyu neither won't I say the opposite but bokke is imo doing good too. The only thing a man can say: I started bokke up to date from chapter one in contrast to muhyo

Galactic Tomahawk
February 14, 2009, 04:50 AM
Yeah really. There's plenty of valid reasons to criticize it, but such a minor detail that only really pertains to combat makes it seem like you're really reaching to find something new to complain about. Just tone it down and stop caring so much about people enjoying it.

Maxy Barnard
February 14, 2009, 06:38 AM
I do not agree with that. Read muhyo's 5 first chapters and you have a stand alone "clueless" story too. Imo this one adds faster important element to its story. It's not only about the mask. We also get to know more about the bokke itself, that ring guy seemed very important to those new ones, etc... I won't say bokke is better than muhyu neither won't I say the opposite but bokke is imo doing good too. The only thing a man can say: I started bokke up to date from chapter one in contrast to muhyo

uh... i found the first five muhyo chapters pretty different to this. the stories are pretty much standalone, but through them the pacing is well done and you learn not only of the weird relationship between muhyo and roji, it's also patient enough with how you should understand the protagonists that it doesn't drop in a side character till chapter 5. to me that's wonderful. bokke-san.... is lacking in this magic pace.

oh and it hints at enchu, but i suppose that's the only real element that was a bit 'eh...' although come volume 2 it's all about him. maybe bokke-san can pull something that straight and to the point in the coming weeks

moving on to the next point: it's not that i hate the mask stuff, i love it and i'm glad the point's been made. it's just another example of the pacing that's been getting up my bum from day one... still i can only hope it pulls it round so i have another series to fret about in that blasted toc

Koen
February 14, 2009, 09:44 AM
@noodles: sorry for not quoting you. First of all thanks for elaborating your post very well. I really can't compare the two manga with each other. I am reading both manga at this moment on a different stage. Imo the relationship muhyo and roujie doesn't mean anything towards what's coming later on (not going to spoil you) and the enshu issue was indeed very good.

Since this is a bokke-san thread I'll restrict myself to why I like bokke's start a lot. Imo bokke starts with a plot that contains a lot of important elements. We could have guessed the mask was important but now it even seems the bokke hino defeated, is a high level (praised) bokke. That's a perfect example of what I like about bokke-san a lot. It has a setting, it has a lot of suspense and later on you get to learn how important some elements were which seemed irrelevant at the first sight. The suspense is so great (so great I expect something of the detective or his teacher)

I think there's also a great character and relationship development in bokke-san. It's great to see how hino exlcuded himself from his social environment. First He discards his powers at but as soon as he learns some other bokke, he starts to accept his power. He starts to learn more people are similar to him whom had the same burden he faced. He starts to make friends and it's goddamned(excuse me god) awesome how a normal girl like sayu is involved in this. It's from her preception, nishi succeeds in bringing some great character building. She is the perception to all this supernatural stuff.

The pace is quite the same. Have you taken a look into chpater 8. I advocate you to take a look. It seems nishi is getting us to some similar pace as he did with his previous manga.

I can understand people are having it difficult because they are starting up-to-date in contrast to some other manga. Reading 5 first chapters in once gives you a complete different feeling to reading the chapters weekly. (Last muhyo talk: for me reading volume 1 of muhyo in one time gave me a satisfied feeling in contrast to a weekly chapter reading. Thus for me the reason to appreciate bokke even now)

Maxy Barnard
February 14, 2009, 03:20 PM
hmmm well i am a chapter behind on bokke so i really should give it a fair shot through your reccommendation if it does so much for it. i'll... well i'll post after checking it out

Galactic Tomahawk
February 14, 2009, 04:00 PM
Okay sorry for the misunderstanding, kinda jumped the gun there.

I think there's also a great character and relationship development in bokke-san. It's great to see how hino exlcuded himself from his social environment. First He discards his powers at but as soon as he learns some other bokke, he starts to accept his power. He starts to learn more people are similar to him whom had the same burden he faced. He starts to make friends and it's goddamned(excuse me god) awesome how a normal girl like sayu is involved in this. It's from her preception, nishi succeeds in bringing some great character building. She is the perception to all this supernatural stuff.

This is probably my favorite part, I think he's got a cast that play off each other very well so far (Particularly between Hino/Sayu and Hino/Meke) and I think the main thing he needs to do now that he has the world well established is start building more solid plots around them.

And one other thing is that despite the slow moving plot, everything still fits together. Just about everyone introduced so far actually has a potential role in the series, instead of just being a one-shot villain/victim that'll probably never appear again.

Koen
February 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
Who said bokke-san wasn't good. Just take a look into chapter 9. It was so depressing on a moment. Character development at its best. Nishi you're very good. I am kinda dissapointed this manga is being ignored. I really hope elkin can do the translations because this deserves a lot of attention

anyway this chapter was quite emotional and it seems we get some important information on those unfriendly, let's call them villain, bokkes

Galactic Tomahawk
February 20, 2009, 09:25 PM
Can only hope it spontaneously picks up in ratings in the next few chapters, I'd really like to see some of the new developments go somewhere.

Glad the hammer guy's gonna have a more important role too he's one of my favorite designs so far.

GARusashi
February 20, 2009, 11:42 PM
I think the ratings will start going up now that they got a sword guy.

Maxy Barnard
February 21, 2009, 10:08 PM
okay finally caught up... and you lot were right, given time it's improved. still long way off of what i consider great, but certainly made it above the average line....

and chapter 9's attempt at making people sad was forced and ineffective, but a step in.... some direction...

Crude
February 22, 2009, 10:11 AM
:(Wants scans...

GARusashi
February 22, 2009, 11:51 AM
is no one else planning on scanlating it? After catching up, this really has made me enjoy the series, and looking at the raws and all the amazingness, I really hoped it would be more popular. Maybe i should give Muhyo a read.

Koen
February 22, 2009, 11:53 AM
I think scanlating itself isn't the problem. It's more a problem of translation if you ask me

let's wait and see. Let's hope the best

Crude
February 22, 2009, 03:50 PM
That's what I actually meant, trans...

I really wish I'd have done chapter 1 and 2's scans after I learned proper cleaning techniques.

Koen
February 24, 2009, 02:43 PM
It seems plain_archetype had some interest after I send him a pm with the request considering bokke as a project.

Let's hope he'll continue doing it. I really look forward to more trans/scans and chapters of bokke...
[hr]
I read chapter 7 and I can't wait for 8. I really have the feeling there's a lot of potential in this story, there's even a lot of story itself but both are covered with a lot of suspense and mistery. Oh btw guys, the confusing thing: is the narration of hino in between the dialogue. So I mostly read the bubbles first and then I read the narration after that or was it the opposite :D

GARusashi
February 24, 2009, 03:42 PM
I wish someone would take this up weekly =\ I really doubt it'll be canceled even if the ratings are low..

Shurou
February 25, 2009, 04:13 PM
So the dude's got some kind of animal ears too... a dog, maybe? Anyone recognize the ears?

Maxy Barnard
February 25, 2009, 04:53 PM
he's a dog from my initial impressions.

also on a comedic note (to me anyway) the first genuinely good chapter (7) has two panels side by side that if you read left to right spell boring... it's like... irony.

Koen
February 25, 2009, 05:12 PM
so edo assassinations. They gave us some new element in the story. The bokke dude with the sword is part of some 4 high class southren bokke. He looks badass with his sword. I wonder what the edo assassinations has to do with the northren vs the southren bokke

Crude
February 26, 2009, 01:45 PM
I was expecting the sword bokke to look a little cooler... He is pretty badass though, what with his "remain calm, your death will be dealt quickly and is inescapable" speech.

Koen
February 28, 2009, 07:03 AM
Hmmm raw of chapter 10 looked pretty interesting. It seems there's some explanation on the bokke's levels. I think there's four bokke which the swords bokke is part of and it seems someone is above them (maybe the enshu of bokke-san)

Maxy Barnard
February 28, 2009, 07:13 AM
whenever i think four stronger than normal enemies and one person above them hitomi no catoblepas hits me like a brick to the head. but then that turned into one ridiculously strong enemy under the other enemy, so it's not a good example of 'hey this feels familiar'

Koen
February 28, 2009, 08:24 AM
whenever i think four stronger than normal enemies and one person above them hitomi no catoblepas hits me like a brick to the head. but then that turned into one ridiculously strong enemy under the other enemy, so it's not a good example of 'hey this feels familiar'

Héhé, there'll always be mainstream parts in every work.
We can't know 100% sure how it will work out. We can only say what we have seen. But yeah you're right, this is more generic and mainstreaming than his previous work

DeidaraGrimmjow
March 01, 2009, 01:29 AM
I just hope it does not get cancelled...

Koen
March 01, 2009, 06:41 PM
I read chapter 9 the story development is faster than expected. So it seems the southren part are the bokke of purity. I think it's a war between bokke who had no problems with integration with humand and the bokke who didn't accept humans as part of their society. I am sad about meke's dead :(

Galactic Tomahawk
March 01, 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for killing off the best character Nishi. :|

GARusashi
March 02, 2009, 12:41 AM
What exactly are the powers so far?

Hino has the ability to cut anything (I think?) but then everyone else's kind of loses me. Ring is a Plant Bokke? Abel is a Hair Bokke? Barajima is a...? Hammer Bokke? Stamp Bokke? He's in control of his own dimension or something?

These powers kind of remind me of JJBA, which is an extremely good thing.

Maxy Barnard
March 02, 2009, 02:33 AM
meke's was the easiest to explain. frog combined with picture/real world manipulation.

Hino's is cat like agility and sharp claws, which are enhanced by his mask, which also seems to connote that different masks add effects or something.

Abel is hair and.... was there ice?

ugh it's still too confusing with it's intent on using the bare minimum exposition

GARusashi
March 02, 2009, 09:49 AM
I thought the mask prevented his transformation somehow?

Maxy Barnard
March 02, 2009, 02:45 PM
helps him focus his powers, but there's appeared to be a noticeable difference between his powers with or without mask, and the opening colour for chapter 1 showed A LOT of masks. so we'll see

Koen
March 02, 2009, 05:55 PM
Well I think the main focus of upcoming chapters will be hino learning to control his bokke power. With meke's death his resolution will be so strong, he'll succeed in it.
Maybe he'll get some advice or something will pop up in his mind.

Anyway are all the other bokke in that town, bokke that lost control (except for hammer dude). Mark my words but I have a strong feeling hino's sensei is the southren (or was it northren) bokke leader

Plain Archetype
March 02, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yes, Abel does have the power to freeze things...some kind of ice beam or something.

But now it seems like he is a spy for the south...or is he a double agent...duh duh DUUUH

I think I like Dehmon (Hammer guy) the best so far. Not necessarily because of his powers, which seem to consist of teleporting people in and out of the hidden Bokke village with his hammer, but he looks cool. I like how he looked in his halfway transformation in chapter 10.

Hitsugaara
March 03, 2009, 01:41 AM
Yeah, i think the power of hammer bokke is interesting. teleporting people. i've been thinking where the hell the doctor came from? are they a bokke too?

Galactic Tomahawk
March 03, 2009, 02:29 AM
Dehmon's definitely one of my favorites.

I liked his design enough before but him actually being a potential main good guy increased my interest exponentially.

Koen
March 05, 2009, 03:06 AM
Well can't wait for the scan but I read the translation

It seems I was right about the northren bokke and southren bokke fight. It's all about humans it seems :)

mega walker
March 09, 2009, 01:22 PM
it seems an ok series but the story can get extremly boring at times
i think nishi is just finding a way to keep his ghostly tales up
he should do a battle manga with a character who is more of a protagonist
also the fans in japan probly dont seem interested as the manga is at the back of the magazine constantly:oh
anyway the manga in weekly jump this year dont seem to interesting
there was meister wich was boring
kuroko no basket which i think is ok but needs more action to it
hoop men which seems exactly the same as slam dunk
(i like beelzebub i just hope it turns into a more battle manga like reborn)
well anyway bokke san just needs improving

Maxy Barnard
March 09, 2009, 02:46 PM
please please don't jinx beelzebub by hoping it becomes THAT horrible mess ¬_¬

and bokke-san is improving, especially compared to the first coupla chapters. give it a few more weeks we might have a mid tier quality series, if not something better

Koen
March 09, 2009, 03:03 PM
The story development is good. I knew nishi would come up with another great storytelling. I really can't and won't believe abel is part of the southren bokke. Someone so nice and cool, why?

Anyway the girl in the helicopter thought about bokke, will she play an important role? Or is she a fodder?

Plain Archetype
March 10, 2009, 12:17 PM
To me, it seems that the series is moving kind of fast. Then again, I am horrible at predicting where stories will go. I would agree with Noodles that it is getting better.

Kind of off topic, but where can I find the popularity rankings for Jump?

Maxy Barnard
March 10, 2009, 02:25 PM
the weekly jump livejournal:
http://community.livejournal.com/weeklyjump

or our very own weekly jump toc thread at the otaku cafe here, which i won't post a link to, just to encourage exploration XD

Koen
March 14, 2009, 08:07 PM
So Mimi-chan is akabeko, that's a nice unexpected twist if you ask me. Abel :(, first meke and now abel. Nishi is really hard in this story. Anyway bokke-san is really great and I liked the human change of the villain :p

DeidaraGrimmjow
March 15, 2009, 02:51 AM
I like this manga, but I 'm starting to think it is being rushed in case Nishi-sensei has to cancel it.

Maxy Barnard
March 15, 2009, 06:46 AM
or more accurately it's being rushed because it's definitely going to end soon. the colour page is probably just a courtesy

Galactic Tomahawk
March 16, 2009, 12:12 AM
I'm kinda leaning towards just in case, there is still a lot to fall back on if it doesn't pick up and I think a plot could be made around the fight over Mimi's power. Will largely depend on how much further the next few chapters go.

Though on the other hand it's never a good thing if a manga's even doing this in the first place, and I've been wrong on more than one occasion about this exact point (hi Belmonde).

mega walker
March 23, 2009, 03:08 PM
yeah sorry noodles loves gag manga
beelzebub maybe shouldnt all be about fighting

Crude
March 23, 2009, 07:01 PM
I think it'd do good for Bokke-san to go the D.Gray-man way, or in other words, have a few short arcs before a big one. Substitute the search Innocence and potential Exorcists with Bokke and that's that.

Maxy Barnard
March 24, 2009, 04:43 AM
i think that was going to be the main intention before this seemingly end-game arc

Plain Archetype
March 27, 2009, 08:42 PM
I will have the translation done quicker this week, sorry about the delay last time...and to settle any debate before it begins (or prompt a new one), the very last part of this week's chapter says...

A visiting peace! Next issue, a new chapter begins!

DeidaraGrimmjow
March 27, 2009, 09:07 PM
I will have the translation done quicker this week, sorry about the delay last time...and to settle any debate before it begins (or prompt a new one), the very last part of this week's chapter says...

A visiting peace! Next issue, a new chapter begins!

That's good. So maybe it won't end so soon after all...

Koen
March 28, 2009, 08:29 AM
Of course not, Nishi will get more credits. Don't forget he already delivered the great work muhyo to roujie...

About the current chapter, I liked how mimi-chan was akabeko. Who would have expected a little girl would play a very important role. In the beginning I just thought this a human murder by a southren bokke and who went after Mimi to finish his job since latter on escaped. Never thought Mimi was special, knowing the fact southren bokke kill humans because of their purity belief. Great to have abel back. He's a cool characters with a sad past, he found some people whom can give him inner rest

Maxy Barnard
March 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
wow so an ailing series hints that it'll get to keep going?

that's annoying, kinda editor love and all that

Galactic Tomahawk
March 28, 2009, 03:39 PM
I heard that Muhyo actually got the same kind of rankings before it eventually went on to relative success afterwards, so they could be giving it a chance to see if the same thing happens here.

Maxy Barnard
March 28, 2009, 04:01 PM
muhyo often spent time at the bottom, that much is true, but i'm just being incredibly aware that another series will suffer so this mediocrity can continue

Galactic Tomahawk
March 28, 2009, 04:21 PM
I can see where you're coming from, I've had the same problem with other series in the past and even though I like Bokke-san, with the way things are right now it'll probably take out at least one other good series if it survives.

Maxy Barnard
March 28, 2009, 04:29 PM
it's not as much something against bokke as that the magazine is too full of awesome as of late, the only things i want to fail are too established, so i see bokke as a neccesary casualty to preserve... well anything. i can't win this time round

DeidaraGrimmjow
March 28, 2009, 06:35 PM
it's not as much something against bokke as that the magazine is too full of awesome as of late, the only things i want to fail are too established, so i see bokke as a neccesary casualty to preserve... well anything. i can't win this time round

Really? I thought you didn't like Kuroko...

Maxy Barnard
March 28, 2009, 06:48 PM
Not enough to want it to go. I mean i liked that at the start and it just declined steadily, but not to a specifically bad point. just that it, like bokke, is a preferable loss

Galactic Tomahawk
March 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
I'm kinda the opposite, don't really wanna see them go either but Kuroko's the preferrable loss if it comes down to it. Unfortunately everything I do want to see cut is pretty much guaranteed safe right now.

GARusashi
March 28, 2009, 09:47 PM
I think one of the basketball series need to go before Bokke...

then we have the natural ending of two, maybe three series, so I don't think Bokke has anything to worry about, but I think Nishi was worrying, but then the editors told him he's here to stay for awhile.

To be honest, I prefer this to Psyren for some reason.. mostly the art and character designs I guess.

hopeandlight
April 19, 2009, 01:20 AM
yeah I hope it stays and author takes his time
I also prefer Bokke-san to Kuroko
I love it as much as Nurarihyon no Mago (which is great too)
[hr]
akabeko has moved on to sayu
hino is injured and doesn't have his mask
what will he do?

DeidaraGrimmjow
April 19, 2009, 01:05 PM
Bokke-san will be ending in a few weeks...

Maxy Barnard
April 19, 2009, 01:49 PM
next week

Meromorphe
April 19, 2009, 02:08 PM
Since it ends...
Overall impression, even if I did not stick to the end and read only a few chapters. I have some difficulties to understand what was going on and did not find the interactions between the main characters very interesting.
I think WSJ wanted to try out Mago, but I find the latter more solid. Even so, I do not follow Mago very regularly, because, when it comes to Youkai and japanese folklore, there is Kekkaishi, my favorite shonen, because of the construction of the story with a little material and the dreamlike presence of the creatures.

It may be time for WSJ to try out To-Love-Ru by launching an ecchi series that can replace it if it works (and if they keep the one ecchi series policy they seem to have since the end of Hatsukoi and Mx0).

GARusashi
April 19, 2009, 02:54 PM
I think it had it's heart in the right place. I think Nishi would make an awesome artist, if you gave him someone writing a story it would be a perfect pair, since his art is just crazy, so damn unique.

Oh well, I'm sure he'll come back.

Galactic Tomahawk
April 19, 2009, 09:09 PM
That might work, maybe even something with Yuusei if those guys are still friends.

Shame it couldn't pick up, was a pretty fun series and I think it had a lot of potential in the long run.

Shurou
April 20, 2009, 02:24 AM
Well, I enjoyed this series while the last arc was going... but I suppose it never picked up in Japan.. what a shame :(

Galactic Tomahawk
April 21, 2009, 09:19 AM
One thing that's really disappointing me right now is that we'll never really actually see these villain guys in action. Probably some of my favorite designs in the series so far. :(

Sloggett
April 28, 2009, 12:21 AM
I only just started to enjoy it too! It could have become a great series if given just a little more time.

reinen
April 29, 2009, 02:09 AM
And I was just hoping to find more interesting thing about this Bokke-god stuff... Well, I hope the next new series, "Medaka Box" is a good one too.

Sloggett
May 01, 2009, 12:22 AM
Last chapter felt really rushed, as was expected though. After reading this I really want to check out Muhyo.

Koen
May 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yes, this was definitely not given a decent chance. This was something like muhyo that needed more time. It had potential but manga and new series will always suffer, and they'll always need to survive the impatience of more than 85% of the readers.

Sadly bokke didn't, the ending is just too rushed but hell, which ending isn't after such a fast cancel

Rejuvenation
May 03, 2009, 04:29 PM
I have to say I was enjoying Bokke the last 10-12 chapters of Bokke. It was sad to see it end and so rushed but I think it did a believable ending for itself.

Too bad it couldn't have more time. =/

SHINOBI-03
May 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
Bokke-san is finished?! so soon?!

Based on what I've learned from Bakuman, it probably recieved low ratings and therefore, had to be cancelled.

What a shame... I thought it would be going much longer than that.