PDA

View Full Version : Is Oda stretching himself too far?

DragonMoonZ
December 24, 2007, 11:36 AM
Like we all know, Oda planned One Piece for approximately 5 years, and he even planned the end for One Piece, but due to OP's extremely large succes, he stated he would continue OP no matter how long it would take...so that would mean he already planned everything of the manga, but we're now on 10 years of One Piece, what would you guys thinks he put in it what he didn't planned in the manga before he knew OP would be so big...my guess would be the whole Skypiea Saga, (and a few short arcs) so he could expand the series length... BUT i most say, i have watched lots of anime and read lots of manga in quite a short time, but OP is the ONLY manga i think that keeps getting BETTER and BETTER, unlike let's say Bleach and Naruto....sorry fans is still love these series, but not as much as i used to, you get the idea:( and thats quite an achievement if you think about the fact ODA didn't plan the series to go on this long:o what are your opinions about this, discuss discusssssss:tem

Absolutio
December 24, 2007, 10:12 PM
I think that all of the crews adventures in the grandline are stuffs he came up after the huge fan boost he had only from east blue, and he then saw the potential of this manga, and plotted the storyline, all-over again.

Imitorar
December 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
^I don't think so, seeing as the Grand Line was mentioned for the first time when they met Gaimon, in chapter 20-something, so he was planning it out then. I think (and this interview (http://apforums.net/showpost.php?p=744457&postcount=72) seems to support it) that Oda had the basic ideas of all the arcs, from Romance Dawn to the "Raftel arc", in mind when the series began. However, things have changed and been added, and the order certain arcs have been drawn in has changed. But ultimately, we're gonna get all the arcs Oda originally thought of, with any changes and/or additions he's made since then, and not necessarily in the order he may have planned it.

Oh, and I think Oda didn't lengthen the series because it was popular, what happened was that things took longer then he thought they would, so after 5 years, he'd only finished through the Alabasta arc, and then this year, he'd only finished through the CP9 arc. And he was having too much fun doing it to stop then. That was in an interview somewhere...

DragonMoonZ
December 25, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the interview it really explains a lot

jeffhmwong
January 27, 2008, 08:25 AM
BUT i most say, i have watched lots of anime and read lots of manga in quite a short time, but OP is the ONLY manga i think that keeps getting BETTER and BETTER, unlike let's say Bleach and Naruto....

I couldn't agree more. One of the best manga ever. On par with Dragon BallZ and Slamdunk though.

Dark-Kaomi
January 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
Oda seems to have trouble with planning stuff. I laugh every time I think about how he meant OP to last only five years and he's not even half done yet.

Shiro-kun
January 28, 2008, 01:01 PM
Oda seems to have trouble with planning stuff. I laugh every time I think about how he meant OP to last only five years and he's not even half done yet.

well not everything goes as plan
and I do see this manga going for another 10 years
its a little surprising but it is a great manga to say at least

DragonMoonZ
January 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
There' more than enough to tell, the Yonkou, the Blackbeard pirates, Shichibukai's enough and even the 3 Admirals..and a manga who's running this long and keeps getting more interesting by the day (or chapter), that's Oda, nothing ever kept me intriguing this long and i just watched OP 2 years ago for the first time :eyeroll, i'm afraid i'll keep checking 1 new chapter a week for the next 10 years o my god:blink

Franckie
January 29, 2008, 11:58 AM
One Piece is going to last for a while. Oda can easily crank out another 300+ chapters, which would equate to about six years. I could easily see One Piece go on for another decade, but depending upon what Oda intends to do, it'd be best to make the Mermen Arc a short arc like Jaya and Thriller Bark. A lot of things are going to go down in the New World (reunion with Shanks, Impel Down, WG Government, etc.), and the sooner Oda gets to it the better.

g4291991
December 15, 2008, 04:08 PM
Now, One Piece is my favorite manga by far and away, I mean it is the reason I started reading manga. But, I have a foreboding feeling that Oda is setting himself up for an all time crash and burn. The reason that I say this is that Oda set-up a clear plot line progression, a young man, Luffy dreams of one day becoming the Pirate King, we follow him on his journey to accomplish this as he gathers a crew and searches for the legendary One Piece treasure. A story with a clear beginning and end, simple (well sorta) and utterly engaging. The reason that I am having any doubts about this series is that we are now 525 chapters and more then 11 years into the series and instead of progressing towards this end Oda has spent the better part of the past half year introducing new plot elements.

So basically, for those of you who don't want to read that first paragraph,

I've got a feeling that Oda has introduced too many plot elements and questions that there is a very low chance that he can satisfactorily wrap up all the various plot elements (which we have 3 pages of threads) without prolonging the series far beyond its naturally course.

Onomatopoeia
December 15, 2008, 04:26 PM
He wants to hit the 1000 chapter mark for sure and it's highly likely that he'll go on to more. Having said that, I don't think so.

I mean the big war will probablly wrap up a fair amount of things that your talking about.

Anyways Shounen series really need to have a good ending in mind, Oda has had his planned from the beginning so you really have nothing to worry about.

slippy
December 15, 2008, 05:32 PM
all i can say is believe in him to do it well - he won't let us down after a 1000 chapter build up

Goji
December 15, 2008, 05:42 PM
I know what you're trying to say g4291991 (love your name btw <_<; ). I also sometimes have this feeling. Sometimes I think: how is he going to make this or that work?, how will he fix that?, what will he do with this?, etc. I think we all know the feeling.
But all I can say is, just like slippy said: I believe in him, I don't have to hope for him doing it well, 'cause I know it'll be well. I mean, the man has proven himself time after time again! He always makes it work somehow! I don't know how he does it, but it's great. ^^

All I'm trying to say is; don't panic, Oda is a GOD, he knows what he's doing. He's done well for the first 500 chapters, he'll do well for the next 500 as well. :amuse

Well, that's what I want to believe anyways. :p

Kaiser Will
December 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
I agree with those too!
Oda is a genious!
He make a 525 chapters manga move so dynamic that no matters how many plots/mysteries that he put in OP he always have a sollution to what he make!
An example, the tatoos of the fish man people for just show us what it really is 400 chapters later.
Or the fact that the Risky Brothers cited Boa, and right after she appear.

And that's why I think that OP is the only one of the still running mangas that can make to the 1000th chapters!

Razh
December 15, 2008, 07:13 PM
Only thing I'm afraid of is too much steam punk elements.

I thought it was going to end with Franky.
But now there are more advanced cyborgs and possibly even cloning.
I mean, whatever those Pacifistas are, and however they were made, it's still much more advanced than I like it.

Other than that, everything is pretty much awesome.

kkck
December 15, 2008, 09:04 PM
What surprices me is that oda initially planned for his manga to last for 5 year. Right now there are over 500 chapters and the manga is still no where near the end. he could easily make his manga last another 500 chapters if he wanted to, but following manga for 10 years is a long time.
If he does that, I dont really believe I will be able to follow it to the end even if the manga is awesome:(....

Fox666
December 15, 2008, 09:13 PM
I agree with those too!
Oda is a genious!
He make a 525 chapters manga move so dynamic that no matters how many plots/mysteries that he put in OP he always have a sollution to what he make!
An example, the tatoos of the fish man people for just show us what it really is 400 chapters later.
Or the fact that the Risky Brothers cited Boa, and right after she appear.

And that's why I think that OP is the only one of the still running mangas that can make to the 1000th chapters!Too much to list. Bellamy saying to Doflamingo "they will eventually go to your position" and you don't even notice he is talking that Doflamingo resides in the entrance to the New World - and Oda has already planned to Mariejoya be where Grandline pass through Red Line. In this case it is no big deal, it takes around 200 chapters for it. There is too much detail to list, for example when Montblanc Norland said Jaya had a old and boring story 400 years ago (and he is 400 years in the past, so 800 years ago current timeline).

If we are looking for characters... Kuma make his appearance 250 chapters later, and all that "target" thing was already there. Dragon take 400, Jimbei 450 and Rayleigh 500...

Kaiser Will
December 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
You said everything foxes!
Oda just make us taste a bit, and we always want more about what he is planning!
But what I really wanna know is the secret behind the DF!
He sure will came up with an outstanding explanation that gonna surprised everyone if his intectuality!

Imitorar
December 15, 2008, 11:10 PM
And that's why I think that OP is the only one of the still running mangas that can make to the 1000th chapters!
Read Hajime no Ippo some time.

And in a sense, One Piece has been prolonged beyond it's "natural course" ever since Alabasta. Oda meant for the series to last five years. But his pacing was off, so he guessed 10 years. His pacing was still off, so now he's guessed 20 years. That seems about right, considering the current pacing. I don't know why you think that Oda couldn't wrap everything up well in approximately 8.5 years. I mean, he was able to set everything up in about that long, so if One Piece lasts about 20-25 years overall, as I expect it to, I think Oda will be able to wrap things up well. Besides, he's never really let us down in a major way in terms of story telling before, and he said that he's still working towards the ending that he originally had in mind. In fact, he said that he's plotted all of the individual arcs, he just hasn't plotted out the order they'll happen in, and all of the exact details, so that some minor changes have been made, but ultimately, Oda's still telling the same basic story that he came up with about 12 years ago. I don't think there's any need to fear that he's "stretching himself too far". You need to have a bit of faith (http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/Imitorar/OnePiece-374-16.png) in Oda's skills as a story teller.

Goji
December 16, 2008, 06:48 AM
It's great to see everyone think the same on this topic. It's one of those discussions that isn't a discussion anymore 'cause we're all on the same side. :amuse

You need to have a bit of faith (http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u17/Imitorar/OnePiece-374-16.png) in Oda's skills as a story teller.
haha, that one's brilliant. xD

Gecko Moria
December 17, 2008, 04:34 AM
Don't question Oda. He knows what hes doing (i hope so anyway XD). 1000 chapters for sure! And there arent that many plot elements.
1. Finding OP and becoming the King
2. Defeating the WG

Tru_TO
January 17, 2009, 09:19 AM
i read in an interview read my other thread that his only half way

bittman
January 17, 2009, 08:46 PM
Don't question Oda. He knows what hes doing (i hope so anyway XD). 1000 chapters for sure! And there arent that many plot elements.
1. Finding OP and becoming the King
2. Defeating the WG
3. Finding out True History
4. Saving Ace
5. Reuniting Strawhats
6. Meeting Shanks
7. Defeating Mihawk
8. Finding All Blue
9. Visiting Elbaf
....etc (could list 100)

Actually, I could narrow it down to your 1. Point 2 can be broken up, but also defeating the WG isnt actually a Strawhat agenda. The WG just keeps getting in their way, Luffy would let them be otherwise.