PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Does Buggy know Haki?

btl
February 22, 2009, 07:16 PM
I believe that to a certain extent he does, in the form of his Buggy/Muggy Balls. He may not be as good at Haki like Rayleigh or Shanks, but we know that Haki can be imbued into objects, so maybe that's what Buggy did with his Buggy Balls, which is why he's so proud of them and always bragging about them.

d3death
February 22, 2009, 07:35 PM
well i thought he just improved his Buggy bomb

Onomatopoeia
February 22, 2009, 07:52 PM
Small objects can be pretty explosive. For instance the atomic bomb or C4. Doesn't really have to have anything to do with Haki. Just means that Buggy is a demolitions expert.

The explosion made by the Muggy Ball is also very different compared to what Haki Imbued Arrows do. Heck there isn't even an explosion with the arrows.

As of yet I see no reason to assume that the Buggy Ball is anything more then aexplosive , it doesn't seem likely.

bittman
February 22, 2009, 08:09 PM
There's this wonderful thing in the world called science, it makes things go boom.

Besides, what kind of will can Buggy leave? If anything Buggy would make me feel more confident of winning.

Imitorar
February 22, 2009, 08:10 PM
Me and Haki are having a bad week, first I see "Haki is Spider Sense" and now this... Really, there's no reason to assume that Buggy has a Haki for several reasons. Firstly, the usage of Haki for specific combat uses is something that only the Kuja can do. Secondly, there's no reason to assume that the Muggy Ball is anything but an extremely small version of the Buggy Balls seen in the Buggy arc, and there's no way that those were Haki imbued at all. They were just cannonballs packed with explosives, the same thing here. And thirdly, Buggy has nowhere near the strength and force of presence to generate a significant Haki, certainly not enough of one to destroy walls. He's stronger than he was in volume 3, but not so strong that he can knock people out just by being near them, he's still pretty weak, as One Piece characters go.

btl
February 22, 2009, 08:38 PM
He's stronger than he was in volume 3, but not so strong that he can knock people out just by being near them, he's still pretty weak, as One Piece characters go.

Which is why I said that he may not be as good at it as Rayleigh or Shanks (ie he can't drop people just by looking at them). Remember though that Buggy was an apprentice under Rayleigh along with Shanks, so who knows what he may have picked up during that time. He may have made his Buggy Balls by using Haki techniques he observed from Rayleigh, whether subconciously or through practice, eventually perfecting it with his current "Muggy Balls". Even though Buggy might have weak Haki (assuming he has any at all), maybe if he spent a long enough time (like a week or so) "charging" one of his Buggy/Muggy balls with whatever mediocre Haki he's got, it might end up having the same effect as a 1 second "burst" of "super-logia-cutting/sky-splitting/crowd-dropping Haki" from Rayleigh or Shanks. Until we know how Haki actually works anything's possible.

Onomatopoeia
February 22, 2009, 08:44 PM
Your right it's a possibility, an idea. But thats all it is, a possibility/idea.

Luffy's Haki ability could manifest itself in the form of a pink panther that has the ability to break the 4th wall and fire laser eye's. Thats a possibility, an idea. But nothing more.

You need to use proof to make it anything more.

btl
February 22, 2009, 09:06 PM
You need to use proof to make it anything more.

My proof's pretty circumstantial but we know that:

1)Rayleigh knows Haki
2)Shanks and Buggy were apprentices under Rayleigh and were "rivals"
3)Shanks and Buggy spent nearly the same amount of time on Roger's ship
4)Shanks managed to learn Haki
5)Haki can be imbued in objects

So if Shanks managed to (I assume) learn Haki from the time he spent on Roger's ship then why couldn't Buggy at least pick up a rudimentary form of it during his own time there? And if Buggy did manage to learn a rudimentary form of Haki (maybe at the subconsious level) then why couldn't he somehow imbue his Buggy Balls with Haki in a similar manner that the Kuja could imbue Haki into their weapons? Maybe all it would have taken is for Buggy to "will" the Buggy Ball to be "stronger" and/or "smaller" with his rudimentary form of Haki.

kkck
February 22, 2009, 09:26 PM
I always hoped buggy could use haki but for some personal reason (such as not being like shanks) he chose not to use it. I wouldnt really expect him to be a monster though. That said, I do think buggy has some rudimentary knowledge of haki.

Firstly, the usage of Haki for specific combat uses is something that only the Kuja can do.
It is something only the kujas has shown, that alone is not enough for us to assume that only the kujas are capable of it. The fat guy who was with kizaru was able to repel luffy in a similar way as the hancock sisters, and if haki had anything to do with raileight being able to fight with kizaru (something on which I truly believe), then it is pretty clear those who can control haki can do the same stuff as the kuja.

bittman
February 22, 2009, 10:25 PM

1)Rayleigh knows Haki

So if Shanks managed to (I assume) learn Haki from the time he spent on Roger's ship then why couldn't Buggy at least pick up a rudimentary form of it during his own time there? And if Buggy did manage to learn a rudimentary form of Haki (maybe at the subconsious level) then why couldn't he somehow imbue his Buggy Balls with Haki in a similar manner that the Kuja could imbue Haki into their weapons? Maybe all it would have taken is for Buggy to "will" the Buggy Ball to be "stronger" and/or "smaller" with his rudimentary form of Haki.

Answer:
1) So does Hancock.
2) As cabin boys.
3) As cabin boys.
4) Not as a cabin boy. Whether he learned it or discovered it on his own is questionable also. Before the Kuja arc, I always wondered whether Luffy would get info from Rayleigh or learn it on his own, I expected the second option.
5) Actually, you don't know how or to what extent. Both Marigold and Rayleigh were holding the weapons at the time they used Haki-endowed strikes. My assumption on Haki (read: assumption) is that it isn't something that can be stored and used later, your assumption is that this is what the Muggy ball can do. By that account, Buggy is a revolutionary Haki user.

I think you're taking Haki two too many steps ahead. The first step is your assumption Haki can be stored (mentioned above), the second is that Haki actually affects non-sentient objects in a physical way (by making it smaller or stronger). I know Margaret used arrows with Haki, but it would have been used ON the moment, and the arrows weren't stronger (as Luffy snapped them after) or faster (since the ground wouldn't have crumbled from speed alone). The arrows were an extension of herself (like a projectile sword), not a medium to summon fire and lightning.

Onomatopoeia
February 22, 2009, 10:32 PM

1)Rayleigh knows Haki

Thats all true but your making to much of a Fallacy, Hasty Generelization to be exact. Just because one person learned Haki doesn't mean the other person did especially when comparing their futures and respective places in society. It's unlikely that Shanks was able to learn it at such a young age too, more likely he learned it later in life.

Look at it like this: John, Me, and Sally all go to Harvard. All three of us take French. Thus all 5000 kids in the school take French correct? Obviously not. This is applicable to the situation rather well.

We also don't know enough about Haki to know how storing it in weapons works, for instance do people only store Haki in weapons for moments of time otherwise it looses potency or can it be stored for many weeks over time?

Their are to many holes in your argument for it to be anything more then a possibility. And even then it's unlikely since the Buggy Ball's have completely different aftereffect compared to Haki Imbued Arrows. Which makes it far more likely that the Buggy Ball is just an explosive.

KNIVES_VS_WORLD
February 23, 2009, 01:05 AM
Thats all true but your making to much of a Fallacy, Hasty Generelization to be exact. Just because one person learned Haki doesn't mean the other person did especially when comparing their futures and respective places in society. It's unlikely that Shanks was able to learn it at such a young age too, more likely he learned it later in life.

Look at it like this: John, Me, and Sally all go to Harvard. All three of us take French. Thus all 5000 kids in the school take French correct? Obviously not. This is applicable to the situation rather well.

We also don't know enough about Haki to know how storing it in weapons works, for instance do people only store Haki in weapons for moments of time otherwise it looses potency or can it be stored for many weeks over time?

Their are to many holes in your argument for it to be anything more then a possibility. And even then it's unlikely since the Buggy Ball's have completely different aftereffect compared to Haki Imbued Arrows. Which makes it far more likely that the Buggy Ball is just an explosive.

OK he has a good point but i dont see where he get his exp when u exclude the buggy balls which i belive are obviously made possible by sceince.If u get haki from being around ppl with it or just from being an amazing person then mabe buggy is developing haki a little while in the grandline.

Also of course haki would have a different affect on a bomb then in an arrow, two different weps we are talking about here the effect would be different.

Lord Rayleigh
February 23, 2009, 06:52 AM
Besides, what kind of will can Buggy leave? If anything Buggy would make me feel more confident of winning.

I don't believe he is familiar with Haki but I can answer to this question : the Captain John's treasure he is looking for since he has became a pirate is his stimulus, what maintains his will. Hasn't he just got the treasure mark from Luffy ? I think he is now more determined than ever.

toxun
February 23, 2009, 07:24 AM
What the mean of question know? If he at least realize such person managed to use haki or not, then he might know such things, he'd been spare some time with Rayleigh & Shank in his youth. He also honored Shank as a strong fighter here http://img04.tx.us.mangafox.com/store/manga/106/019.0/compressed/OP019_12.jpg

It not a weird things he know Shank abilities more than another person :)

If it mean buggy could use haki, it's no doubt my answer is no. At least he shouldn't be placed in L1 :)

Onomatopoeia
February 23, 2009, 11:57 AM
OK he has a good point but i dont see where he get his exp when u exclude the buggy balls which i belive are obviously made possible by sceince.If u get haki from being around ppl with it or just from being an amazing person then mabe buggy is developing haki a little while in the grandline.

Also of course haki would have a different affect on a bomb then in an arrow, two different weps we are talking about here the effect would be different.
Actually not really. A bomb explodes based on whats inside. But he's not assuming that it's explosives that make the Muggy ball so powerful. He's assuming that Haki makes such a powerful explosion. After all if he assumes it's explosions and Haki then he's pretty much saying that, yes it could be just the explosives inside the ball itself that makes the explosion, and thats counterproductive.

Also Occams Razor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ockham_razor):

Simple Explanation: Buggy's good at making bombs.

Complicated Explanation: Buggy can imbue Haki into objects despite having no proof of this and he can imbue it over time, little by little. And then let it out the moment it hits something.

With an equal amount of proof the simplest explanation always triumphs. Again this is nothing more then a possibility.

Akainu
February 23, 2009, 05:35 PM
I like simple explanations. the simple answer and explanation for the question of the thread: no, Buggy does not have Haki in the sense of he can use it or anything because he is simply not strong enough. I don't think he has the same strength as Luffy did when he first "used it" on Motobaro.
However I think that Buggy very well knows Haki in the sense that he can tell what it is, because he was on the ship together with the Shanks and Rayleigh.

that'd be my try. if someone mentioned it like this just take it that I agree ;)

Bugzee
May 03, 2010, 12:34 PM
Buggy is fully aware of Haki and it’s “presence” if you like. I don’t think his a weakling though; his just a coward. ;) If he was really weak, he would’ve just fainted from Shanks’ presence. :p