PDA

View Full Version : Tom: Dead or Alive?

rhysno1
February 28, 2009, 04:27 PM
ive been reading up about one piece and it was mentioned that tom was sent here before his execution and i though maybe he wasnt executed but sent to level 6 what do you think

Imitorar
February 28, 2009, 11:23 PM
There's a guy on Arlong Park who has this theory too. He doesn't mention it anymore, though, since he got crucified for it the last time he did. I myself think it rather implausible, just because flashbacks are the one time when where Oda kills someone, you know they're dead. He won't come up with a hastily concocted excuse like "I just survived the extremely powerful bomb" or "I somehow survived and fell to the White Sea", the characters will really end up dead, and thus have a powerful effect on their proteges. If Tom were to be alive, then his death wouldn't be there to dominate Franky's life. For it to turn out that Tom is alive would seem to retroactively seem to annul the effect of Tom's sacrifice on Franky. Then again, Oda being Oda, it could be that he does this simply BECAUSE it looks so implausible, and somehow makes it work to boot. Either way is possible, we'll have to wait until Luffy gets to Level 5 or Level 6 to really find out.

Onomatopoeia
February 28, 2009, 11:45 PM
Tom being alive would really make his sacrifice feel a lot less special. Tom dying pretty much formed Franky's entire life. It would be a nice moment but it would just be so cliche if he came back to life and I think it would move Franky's character backwards not forwards.

In fact I think the importance of Tom's death can be seen here (http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/507/13/)

Then again I thought the same thing with Pell, but that wasn't a flashback...

Fox666
March 01, 2009, 12:34 AM
Actually, I don't think that line has anything to do with that Tom death. Franky is the puppil of Roger's ship maker, meeting them is somehow to know for who Tom sacrifice himself for, other than the sacrifice itself.

Either Franky is no more worrying about Tom's death, that was the point of his joining. That's why I think it won't be a loss of the storyline to Tom being alive.

bittman
March 02, 2009, 10:58 PM
Ugh.

If Tom lived, do you realise how many of these threads we'd get? Nico Olivia, Kuina, Bellmeire, Usopp's mother, Dr Higlurk, Shanks' left arm or Gol D. Roger returning would all ruin the story if they returned, and Tom returning would be like opening the floodgates to poor plot.

I mean, Tom is Franky's goal. And there is no goal like one you cannot possibly surpass. Do you think Luffy would find following in Roger's footsteps as fun if Roger was still pirate king and running back and forward between Raftel daily? I'm not saying Luffy has a morbid sense of fun, but if your goal is intangible because you can never realistically compare, it becomes that much more romantic.

rhysno1
March 04, 2009, 03:20 PM
i dunno would it really be that bad like because the chances are luffy wouldnt have a clue who he is so it would be nice to see how they react to each other plus you no what odas like he never kills of characters

toxun
March 05, 2009, 07:12 AM
I already said it somewhere, that the one whose sent him to Enies Lobby confirmed that HE IS DEAD!
http://img60.onemanga.com/mangas/00000002/00000382/05.jpg
Although it really might that WG scientist might reassemble/resurrect him at least part of him (becoming cyborg you know :p) to work for them. But if he still had his former memories no idea what kind of reason he willing to do so.

JC123
March 05, 2009, 10:24 AM
I mean, Tom is Franky's goal. And there is no goal like one you cannot possibly surpass. Do you think Luffy would find following in Roger's footsteps as fun if Roger was still pirate king and running back and forward between Raftel daily?

Well... Franky's goal was to be a shipwright with a boat that can travel the world. Yes, he tried to save Tom to the best of his abilities but I doubt he has delusions of ever seeing Tom again. He's perverted but he has a decent intelligence factor.

So I agree with you, in a different sense.

shaula_aelas
March 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
I already said it somewhere, that the one whose sent him to Enies Lobby confirmed that HE IS DEAD!
http://img60.onemanga.com/mangas/00000002/00000382/05.jpg
Although it really might that WG scientist might reassemble/resurrect him at least part of him (becoming cyborg you know :p) to work for them. But if he still had his former memories no idea what kind of reason he willing to do so.

But how can you trust Spandams word, hes such a coward I dont think hes been at ID. Maybe its because anyone is expected to die on ID after a time, that he assumes that Tom is dead.

Maybe is like you said and Vegapunk got Tom. Thats what I see happened to Kuma, thats why hes "obedient" to the GW or so they thought.