PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Hoop Men by Kawaguchi Yukinori

eni
February 28, 2009, 05:32 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/i4hlc7.jpg

Hoop Men by Kawaguchi Yukinori (http://mangahelpers.com/m/hoop-men)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2009 #14 (release date 09 March 2009)

About the series:
N/A

About the Author:
Seems he was a former assistent of the ES21 mangaka

<hr noshade size="1">
A new WSJ manga about middle age men doing hula hoop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula_hoop). NOT! :XD

It's a new basketball series in Jump by an former assistant of the ES21 mangaka. Check it out :amuse

Yes, the main character's face looks kinda creepy but it's this bad only on the color spread. The overall art is a little sketchy (hey, newbie mangaka!) but in general nice aside from some face drawings. The body anatomy and action scenes are well done and that's what matters in a sports manga, ne? Give it a try.

Here you go:
HM@MangaHelpers (http://mangahelpers.com/m/hoop-men) (info, dl, online read)
HM@MangaUpdates (http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=41266) (info)

Maxy Barnard
February 28, 2009, 05:45 PM
okay i'mma gonna big this one up good!

solid gags, art that's like a newbie cross between es21 and honey and clover, assisstant to a mangaka who does some of the best colour work EVER, use of english that doesn't blow chunks, and whilst it contains a smattering of cliche it breaks it by feeling more unique than a lot of sports series that have dared to show their face in WSJ

also we get a romanisation of the main character's name in chapter 1!

so translators come one come all, leap upon this project, share it's pretty coolness with the world!

and now thoughts on chapter 1:

pretty strong start, reminded me a bit of slam dunks first chapter, the goofy art is hilarious from start to finish (seriously it's almost more gag than sports artwise) and it leaves a pretty good impression despite the most terrifying face ever featured on the cover and colour spread. unless the translation is complete arse(if it gets one HINT HINT) it's completed a one-two of great new series jumping into the fold these past weeks alongside beelzebub.

[/fanboy like blabbering]

predsfan
February 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
Well, this seems interesting. I do have to say I did laugh out loud several times. Especially at some of the English in it (I was actually surprised it all made sense and was grammatically correct). Did he really just say "Oh Snap?" I look forward to a translation.

[Cross]
February 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
kukuku, I happen to agree with noodles (as well as in general as to our views on gag manga), I really like the way this series looks, my translator said she'd do this as soon as a raw appears though I haven't heard anything back, I'm just assuming she's working on it right now. I'd like to get this out as soon as possible.

Koen
February 28, 2009, 06:49 PM
Well somehow I have to agree too... I couldn't judge it at all. Some panels were really great and others were ridiculous bad. Last one was on purpose if you ask me because doing something ridiclous can be only done by being ridiculous. This mangaka is funny: he can draw but most pages I was thinking I was reading a chilren made colour book :p

Mr. Prince
February 28, 2009, 07:09 PM
Ohh...even though I'm still kinda disappointed the main kid does not always have his scary (yet funny as hell) facial expression from the cover and spread, I thought it was some nifty first chapter.
It ain't great but it's just the start and what I saw was done quite well.

Concerning the art I have to agree the opinions in this thread. Sketchy (sometimes "crappy") pictures but not for the reason that the mangaka can't do better...especially color spread is really good imo.

So yeah, I'll keep following this one and can't wait to see how it'll develop. : )

Espling
March 03, 2009, 12:51 PM
I kind of like it, but I might be a bit biased, being one of my first translations as it is. There's a lot of potential in the Josh+Satou duo, but it never got any real work done on it in the first chapter. Satou was quite a bastard towards the poor lost foreigner, he who has lost everything he called home, he who wound up in a country that do not understand his problems, where even the only guy at school he can communicate with just does it to impress on a girl.

But it has potential. Although it seems a lot like Slam Dunk to me. Sure, no delinquency, but many other factors are there. The main character joins the club because a girl he seconds before fell in love with told him to. His friends think that it's absurd for him to participate in a sport. It's probably going to break away from this since the characters in almost every way are different from the characters in Slam Dunk, but it still felt very familiar.

And I liked the abstractions in the manga, they had a soft, bubbly feel to them, some of the gags were spot on, while others were really cliché. We'll just have to see what becomes of this.

macros
March 03, 2009, 02:09 PM
but, there's someone scanlate it?

Maxy Barnard
March 03, 2009, 02:53 PM
CXC scans hold the translations exclusivity so yeah

[Cross]
March 03, 2009, 06:00 PM
rawr, sorry for the delay, but I'm caught up with a couple of things at the moment. It should be out by Thursday.

taiyouchan
March 03, 2009, 06:16 PM
Haha I approve simply because I like basketball manga... and because it's easy to translate... haha no, it was fun to read and an interesting idea, just hope Satou doesn't stay hopelessly bad for too long. I think I can see the potential for him having some kind of special ability hidden somewhere... just guessing by the way the manager was looking at him.

Anyone else wish we could have a guy manager for a change... or one the main character didn't have a crush on...

[Cross]
March 03, 2009, 07:04 PM
female managers seem to be all the rave XD

Showbiz
March 03, 2009, 09:53 PM
Seems pretty interesting, although I have no clue what they were saying except for the English. The artwork does seems some what similar to Eyeshield 21. All in all, I am hoping that this will be a great series.

Sincerely,
Showbiz

Plain Archetype
March 04, 2009, 12:08 PM
I think this series has additional depth to those of us who are translators. Hopefully the author can continue to play the translation thing well. The idea of Slam Dunk with a translation element thrown in, a sprinkling of art that reminds me, personally, of Double Art's fluidity, has me hooked. So what if a couple of the gags are a little cliche? You can't expect everything to be original. I'm looking forward to more of this series.

Maxy Barnard
March 04, 2009, 12:15 PM
not just to translators as much as people who appreciate how translations work and all that jazz... i've forgotten where i'm going with this post

Espling
March 04, 2009, 12:59 PM
I find it interesting that Satou, even though being able to speak English rather fluently, he is still shocked by the cultural differences in wording, politeness and such. Shouldn't he have noticed these before? He is however right when he points out that interpreting will be hard, I can think of few harder jobs, actually... Most of those involve risking your life.

Sexy Randal 105
March 05, 2009, 11:54 PM
I kind of like Hoop men more than Kuroko. I'd rather Kuroko dies.

Maxy Barnard
March 06, 2009, 07:39 AM
it's not a competition, both can live. i personally like both a decent amount in their own ways

Rock-a-Dillo
March 06, 2009, 10:46 AM
why is there hasn't been any Scanlation for it...
please someone scan it... someone

[Cross]
March 08, 2009, 07:55 PM
*sigh* I'm sorry for being late, it'll be out later today or early tomorrow. The blasted thing was much more than I expected (typesetting-wise) so I was caught off guard. chapter two will be out most likely on Tuesday, if not tomorrow either.

Alright, chapter 01 is out! I find it funny that Josh's best ability is his magic pass.

Espling
March 11, 2009, 09:35 AM
^It's actually kind of an interesting starting point for the story, having his magic pass, since it opens up for more team-work, rather than just him owning his opponents. I've started to find the main character increasingly annoying, which might be a bad thing if it happens already, but I have some hopes for his development.

[Cross]
March 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
hm...chapter 2 is out, I enjoyed this chapter, rather funny too.

Lutzu
March 11, 2009, 11:57 AM
well is a good start but there are some things that are in common whit Slam Dunk and thats why i enjoy more Kuroko

Maxy Barnard
March 11, 2009, 01:40 PM
both kuroko and hoop men are very different. whilst i prefer hoop men due to my addiction to gag manga, i'm aware both are amazing series.... and should live... but then who dies?! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

[Cross]
March 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
I'm starting to like Hoop Men more than Kuroko after only two chapters, but I do agree that they can't be blamed for being similar since they seem to each have a different niche.

Higure207
March 11, 2009, 06:18 PM
I don't know why ,but I think I like Hoop men better then Kuroko ,there is just something about this manga that makes me like it more

Maxy Barnard
March 11, 2009, 06:27 PM
for me it's the art and presence of beyond solid gags. Most people like unusually stylised stuff, let alone characters that are far too east to connect to

Wrath
March 11, 2009, 06:34 PM
The art is dodgy in places, but in my opinion the faces are wonderfully unique and goofy. I think I might prefer it to Kuroko already too.

tehgrim
March 11, 2009, 09:53 PM
i havent read kuroko, but this manga seems alot more interesting than most of the basketball manga`s ive read

taiyouchan
March 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
I like it... except i'm having trouble with Yuuho... he can be so annoying! I prefer my characters motivated by something other than getting into the manager's pants, so i'm casting my vote with Kuroko right now. I also wish they'd focus a little more on them actually playing basketball... but the gags are good. I like Josh he's such a retard lol.

[Cross]
March 14, 2009, 10:29 AM
I like it... except i'm having trouble with Yuuho... he can be so annoying! I prefer my characters motivated by something other than getting into the manager's pants,

That's what character development is for, I think that he'll wise up eventually.

Meromorphe
March 14, 2009, 01:03 PM
So, I've read the first two chapters and looked at the raw of the third. Before reading it I was thinking that Jump staff wanted to extend their reader perimeter and increase sales by adding new sport mangas no matter what. So, that's why I thought that Kuroko was considered as a sure value that will continue and Hoop Men would be protected like Double Arts was at the beginning and would reach 20 chapters easily.
When I first looked at the raw of the first chapter, the drawings make me think again about my theory on their strategy, because it looked more like a gag manga than a traditional sports manga. But with the scans the manga appeared to me more like the traditional sports manga but with a light-hearted tone (it even began to build some rivalry and tensions between teammates (over a girl)).

I did not find the first two chapters funny and the art does not capture players' movements well during basketball phases. Kuroko's mangaka does a better job in my opinion.
So, I am not very interested in it, but what would have interested me is that actually the girl and her childhood were actually a couple and the hero stole the girl ;)

Galactic Tomahawk
March 17, 2009, 01:04 PM
Finally got around to reading the translated chapters and I liked it a lot better than I expected. It's got a lot going against it's survivability, but I would really like to see it go somewhere.

[Cross]
March 17, 2009, 04:59 PM
For those waiting on chapter 3, it's a little delayed as I'm having assessments this week, sorry once again.

LegACy
March 28, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well, duh, since I'm not listed as a scanlator, I can only post my release here @.@

There you go, Hoop Men chapter 4
Link Removed

Anyway, I'll be doing chapter 5 too, provided there's a public translation available

EDIT: Well, it's been listed on MH now ^^ http://mangahelpers.com/s/legacy/details/18808

eni
March 28, 2009, 11:34 AM
Well, duh, since I'm not listed as a scanlator, I can only post my release here @.@
Go here to register yourself as scanlator:
http://mangahelpers.com/submit-group/

It will only take a minute ^^

LegACy
March 28, 2009, 11:57 AM
um, yeah, I just have, but I haven't been approved @.@
And don't I need 5 releases to put my releases on the database?

(duh, this is kinda off topic)

eni
March 28, 2009, 12:05 PM
Approved you ^^
http://mangahelpers.com/s/legacy

(And yes, let's stop the offtopic now. If there're further problems, PM me >.<)

Mr. Prince
March 28, 2009, 02:50 PM
I really liked the last chapters of this one and I think it has some nice flow...
Therefore I hope it can stick around for some time!

Maxy Barnard
March 28, 2009, 02:58 PM
Hoop men has to succeed, it's just too much of a quality series NOT to!

also it just occured to me i'm a scanlator without an awesome green name... what gives with that? :S

esh
June 10, 2009, 03:31 PM
Any news on whether CxC is still doing the series?

[Cross]
June 10, 2009, 06:27 PM
We are, the thing is our typesetter has been having computer trouble for some time now, so things are a bit delayed.

Arth
June 12, 2009, 01:37 AM
As a big fan of Slam Dunk, I can't help but notice the similarities between Slam Dunk and Hoopmen.
A lot of the vocab and themes are really similar... Like, really similar.

I do like this series, but I like Slam Dunk far better :p

I haven't read kuroko yet, I might have to check it out!

Negative Syndicate
June 12, 2009, 06:42 AM
I think there is no basketball manga to beat Slam Dunk and never well. Hoopmen does have similarities, but it going to be cancel in matter of time.