PDA

View Full Version : Review Gold Knight's Ten Comments (One Piece 427)

Gold Knight
September 17, 2006, 03:48 AM
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5630/00ej6.jpg
One sec, bub... we're not done just yet...!

Well, as I said in my Bleach Comments this weekend, I'm now doing these reviews in the order of the nicer scanlations that come out for them. As Binktopia did a good job with their quick scan for Bleach 243, so did Harrmd for his version of OP 427. Thanks a lot, guys. This way I shouldn't have to wait so long to write my reviews as I had to for a while, though Naruto 323 is still taking a while. But I guess that's mostly due to the HQ Raw still not having come out yet.

Well, this was a dramatic chapter, and finally brings to an end one of the more epic battles in the series. I did like how it finished, after all. So let's get crackin', shall we! Feel free to comment as always!

* * * Gold Knight's Ten Comments on One Piece Chapter 427: It's Not Like It's Hell! * * *

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/163/01jh9.jpg
There's a sucker born every day...!

1. Gods and Spirits. Aha, back to the one-shots looking at how the Skypiea cast are doing. This time we see the Shandian chief getting drunk and apparently being very jovial with the nearby chuckling Gan Fall. Judging by the sly expression pasted all over the restored "God's" face, the Sky People seem to have some sort of agenda in this little friendly reprise. Might the Shandians be brought into their culture after all?

Suddenly, I wonder if Oda is trying to show with these one-shots that even villagers do tend to exhibit some "pirate tendencies" every now and then. A while ago we saw the womenfolk of Skypiea exploring a forest, like a scouting party of buccaneers who just arrived at an island hoping for some treasure. And then some warriors taking a lunch break from exhausting work not unlike what sailors would have to do on any pirate ship. Now Gan Fall seems to be about to pull the wool over the Shandian chief's eyes with the aid of a drink, as much as pirate captains might do while drinking rum. Fun.

Of course, it could also just be that they're having a fun evening together. But then, that wouldn't be so interesting...

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/11/02md6.jpg
Down for the count...!?

2. Get Up, Luffy...! Usopp getting after Luffy here reminded me of how most sports fans would act when their favorite teams would be losing for a while. Of course, one would tend to be pretty pissed, and be yelling at them to get off their butts and do a better job, and encouraging them to know that in fact they still have a chance to get back into the game.

Since Luffy and Lucci's fight almost feels more to me like a boxing match than a realistic battle between deadly enemies, Usopp's reaction wasn't too unexpected at all here. He's like a member of the audience at a highly-anticipated match, who had just bet on Luffy to win and is about to see that money go down the drain. Except he's wagering his life here.

On the other hand, if it had been just a boxing match, Usopp, as a friend, would likely have been more concerned for Luffy's welfare than about losing any money, so would have been telling him to stay down. Just like Rocky Balboa's coach did - but of course, different circumstances calls for different reactions...

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6062/03gp3.jpg
That's the Straw Hat Pirates for ya...!

3. Shock and Bewilderment. I have to admit, I don't blame the Marines for being totally flustered here. After all, they just sent 200 of their best to take care of a motley crew of five, and after seeing their efforts amounting to pretty much nothing so far, there's a sense of awe creeping into their minds now. Count me in - I would have thought that Luffy's crew would have been captured by now, making the situation even more desperate.

I still believe that Nico Robin is definitely Luffy's most powerful member of the crew at the moment though. When she does Ocho Fleur Flip to a number of opponents, there's not much they can do to get free at all. I wonder just how many arms and hands she could grow at once, but at the moment it certainly looks like she's handling the Marines just fine...

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8647/04og1.jpg
Whoa! You're Sogeking!?? For real???

4. Surprise, Luffy...! Heh, figures that Luffy never did suspect who Sogeking was, despite the disguise not exactly being all that clever. Still, doesn't take a whole lot to fool Luffy I guess... luckily he's got a crew around him that knows what's going on.

Well, I suppose the dramatic build-up to Luffy's realization that Usopp had indeed come with them wasn't a bad idea. Also kills two birds with a stone - one, the rescue of Robin, and two, the reconciliation between Luffy and Usopp. Ever since their duel, Luffy's crew hasn't been the same.

I do like the climax of this battle, I just wish Oda hadn't taken so long to get around to it. But now that it's finally here, I enjoyed it a bit. Luffy obviously still cared for Usopp a lot, judging by how angry he still was at Franky for having beaten him up. And vice versa here for Usopp concerning Luffy's welfare, as he had just revealed. These two are definitely going to have more trust in each other after this whole arc ends.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/8267/04v3qv5.jpg
YEAH! Bring it on, pussycat!

5. One Hell of a Challenge...! Although I found Usopp's challenge to Lucci somewhat hilarious at first, I have to admit that took guts. We have to remember that after all, Usopp IS a coward at times - and to say something like that to Lucci, even if just to spur Luffy on, definitely took courage.

Usopp had to choose his words very carefully to get Luffy all riled up again. In doing so, he showed flashes of being a genius. Of course, he was always good at being a talker, but this time he had to deal with a friend instead of trying to fool his opponents. There was still that spark of rivalry that still existed between them since that duel, because even though Usopp lost that one, he had certainly surprised and even scared Luffy. So Usopp counted on that first with his challenge to Lucci, and in doing so somewhat saying that Luffy was losing out again in their little rivalry. That got Luffy's attention (and concern for Usopp's safety at the same time).

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6889/05ah3.jpg
Nope, that would be RAW Day...!

After that, Usopp entirely woke Luffy up by reminding him that he wasn't dying yet - that he wasn't a ghost in the underworld, that he was still a pirate captain with all the world around him still waiting to be explored. All the oceans, all the sky - everything awaits him. All he had to do was beat Lucci. Despite the carnage and the wreckage at Enies Lobby, Luffy hadn't gone to hell yet.

This part is what I liked the most about this chapter. Usopp's speech to Luffy here was what really got him back into action. Good pep talk, for sure!

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8316/06bq5.jpg
Fresh out of the oven...!

6. One Last Round...! Cool scene to see Luffy finally get up and face the villain again, even though it is a bit cliche.

You know what I mean - whenever the antagonist believes that the hero has finally fallen down, he/she usually walks off without finishing him off. And even if somebody seems to be on the verge of talking the hero back into action, the villain doesn't take any action. He just waits and sees if the guy does get up for another round. After which, he proceeds to get spanked.

In reality, this is what probably would have happened - while Usopp's going on about Luffy not being in "hell," Lucci would have taken the opportunity to speed over Luffy and stomped his head into the ground with a foot, and then grinned, saying, "NOW he is."

Of course, that would have been the end of the series, too...! (Sorry for any disturbing thoughts, kids!) All the same, still a well-done scene. Somehow Luffy getting up and radiating steam at the same time is even more badass than when he did it without the hot air.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9232/07fc1.jpg
Dammit, stop poking me!

7. Let's Try This Again...! A while ago, I complained about Luffy not using another technique in order to try to take Lucci down for good instead of the usual 'Jet Pistol.' Now we see Lucci fall victim to the same mindset of feeling like his attacks were getting the job done and not having to improvise any more - and relying on the Rokuougan for the THIRD chapter in a row. Tsk tsk.

Well, if nothing else, Luffy is going to come out of this battle looking like he was used as one of Zoro's practice dummies. He'd better eat some more meat as soon as possible!

Sidenote: Here's my one major gripe of the chapter. Right after Lucci does the Rokuougan here, we get a sense of Luffy being on the ground again, and we never did get to see Lucci turn around again leading to the next scene where Luffy would stand up again and do his final attack. That's a little bit of poor sequential storytelling right there. I actually wondered if there was a page missing, or if the pages were arranged in the wrong order, when I first read the RAW. So - I have to take a few points away for that. However, I LOVED what came next...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4325/08v1dm8.jpg
Take THAT for threating Robin, you scumbag!

8. For Robin! Alright, I have to admit I loved that Oda had Luffy think back to when Robin finally confessed that she did want to live (nice touch in making her look like her little girl self, too!) Made the next double-spread where Luffy totally schooled Lucci (finally!) all that more incredibly satisfying to me.

Sometimes flashbacks are definitely good to remind us just exactly what the protagonist is fighting for, again. In this case, it's Robin's freedom. You can tell Oda cares a lot about his characters by the emotion and passion he projects into these "final scenes," which almost always makes for good writing in the end.

Well, Robin has also always been one of my favorites since she joined Luffy's crew (probably because she seemed the most sane, even more than Zoro!) and for that reason, also, I guess I was even happier that Luffy put his all into that last move. I can definitely seeing that image of a crying Robin in Luffy's mind and empowering his rapid-fire punches even more...! Yeah, I even got a little teary-eyed during this scene. (Of course, might have just been the dust in the air... >.> )

So, adding some points back for this for my final rating, because this scene made up big time for the little lapse Oda had back there (see the sidenote in the last comment).

Bye-bye, Lucci! Been nice knowin' ya! NOT!

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/2294/09jg5.jpg
No dinner for Hattori tonight!

9. Take a Good Look... Probably the first time Lucci has ever been defeated.

There's always a first time for everything, eh?

Nice final scene here of his bird, Hattori, landing on Lucci's chest and wondering what the beejesus just happened to his master. Guess he was just a normal pigeon after all. Surprise...! I know some people suspected there were more to Hattori than met the eye! Strange that Lucci would keep such a pet when he probably had the appetite of a cat, too. Guess that's Oda's imagination for ya, though. All in all, certainly a bizarre scene, but very nicely drawn.

Well, here's my final thoughts on Lucci: nice antagonist, but Oda could definitely have done more with him. He always seemed more of a flunky than a major villain. Yes, somewhat unsettling that he went on and killed 500 hostages just in order to eliminate a potential bad situation for the government, but that just went to show how twisted his sense of justice and "good" was - meaning that he probably wasn't all that bright, either. A powerful flunky to be sure, but still just a flunky.

Somebody posted in one of my previous Comments that Lucci had more, shall we say, presence in his normal human self than he did as a over-muscled Leopard man. I have to agree. Lucci was a vintage example of how a quiet man could be more dangerous than he acted. He also seemed more scary somehow in that he was so cold-looking and heartless in his normal self, and absolutely looked like he could back up his talk. As a leopard man, he somewhat lost some of that aura and just looked like another Herculean monster that Luffy had to knock down. Too bad.

In a way I even think Lucci was even almost a step down from the villains Luffy had just faced in Enel and Crocodile. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I suppose Lucci's whole crew was tough, though. Definitely more of a challenge for everybody else in Luffy's party.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/180/finv6mm0.jpg
Way to go Luffy! ^_^

10. It's Over! ...Almost? Well, finally, Luffy's battle with Lucci is over. I was somewhat sarcastic in saying last week that I thought it would take five more chapters, but I'm very relieved that it ended. It took WAY too long. And I don't even think Lucci was as tough as Enel was, for instance, as I already said. Luffy being in such a perilious situation as that where his crewmates were being attacked from all around was pretty cool, though.

Speaking of which... they still have the Marines to go. But judging by their sheer astonishment at the end of this chapter, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to give Luffy some leeway for now. If they gave Lucci that much respect, it's likely they don't have anybody there who are as good as he is - although all things considered, they SHOULD try to take Luffy while he's so exhausted. It's a good opportunity as any to capture a "notorious criminal," heh. But looks like none of the Admirals are there, at least.

Although I'd like to see Aokiji drop by and give the Marines the order to go away. (I kinda like Aokiji for some reason.)

RATING: 5 out of 5 stars. First time in a long time I've enjoyed an OP chapter like this, so it deserves its 5 stars here, because I can be pretty harsh in my criticism of this series at times, so for me to enjoy it that much... But despite this being a great chapter, I have to admit I came very close to hating this arc for its length. It just took WAY too long for my tastes, even for a shonen series. Well, at least it ended with a bit of a bang! Still, hopefully the next storyline will be a little better; like KISS said, keep it short and sweet - that will be a good change of pace.

Predictions: I'm glad the battle is over, so we can get around to seeing what Luffy's crew will do in order to escape the Marines (if they even have to) - they'd better have some good luck, though, because Luffy seems completely wore down, and I don't blame him. He probably won't be able to get off the floor, even. I bet Usopp will be the one to help carry him back to the ship.

Credits: For the third week in a row, I'd like to thank Harrmd for his scanlation, which allowed me to get this review out ASAP. Also major thanks to pocketmofo as well for translating.

Looking forward to seeing what you think!

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/532/finv4qj1.jpg
Peek-a-boo! I see you! Comment! <3

Luckas
September 17, 2006, 01:30 PM
Very good comments as ever, Gold Knight.

2) That scene surprised me a little, I am not a big Usopp fan so I had kinda forgot his deep friendship with Luffy :eyeroll

3) I really like that, the marines just pissed me off.

4) Hope you are right and eventually these two end their "fight".

5) Good points, I missed the reference with the previous battle between Usopp and Luffy.

6) I love this clichè.

8) Another clichè :D

9) I agree with you: Lucci promised more of what he accomplished as character.

10) I'm not sure they will escape easily from the remaining marines, but I wouldn't be sad if it happens.

venicia777
September 17, 2006, 11:16 PM
Yay!!! Early Comments :turtle :turtle

1) i always take these one shots at times as a way for ODa to make us remember all those characters that made us fall in love with One Piece- but are not playing a part in the current action. Or may never even appear again. and probably waht they may be doing now.

i am sure a time to come we will see a shot of Lucci and his CP9 crew relaxing somewhere.
in this one i think ganfall is really pissed off at something :p :p

2, 4-5) Usopp lives up to his name again-- "hey bosscat- i am your opponent". i think he was lying through his teeth- he probably didnt
even want to fight Lucci in the first place.

and this was right after shouting lUffy's name as if he feared luffy dying. he lies through his teeth saying he didnt come here for Luffy but Robin. Partially true-eh.
But it sure did the trick- a nice shining moment for seemingly the only human SH crew. His fight with Luffy surely did give him some confidence- but he still has some of those lies with him- i hope he stays like that.

although i believe his shout and speech were both distilled from the feeling one experiences when a loved one is fallen in a boxing match as well as that when a favorite team is down but not out. This is like a boxing match in which the loved one must get up and fight otherwise you both die.

i am still srprised Luffy didnt realize sogeking was Usopp. Luffy now is even more clueless to me than Naruto or Goku or ichigo( bleach 242)

3)
that really shows the whole crew has come so far ahead in terms of strength and team work. Sanji- sabotage. Nami/zoro/robin- protect the ship and everyone else- and hopefully Usopp destroys some ships later. Almost forgot about Franky- coup de vent - ofc he needs more cola- ahahahaa. i do hope he joins the crew.

what still amazes me is how strong nami has become. Really incredible. and that the crew is fighting weakened against 200 captains- just incredible!! they almost look too uber strong to me now.

6-9) i am glad not only Usopps speech but also Luffy's RObin flashback proved to be catalysts to the finishing move. The fight is over- indeed. Its been a long one.

And Now i probbably understand why lUffy didnt use the jet gatling technique at all throughout except the end. I mean- one jet pistol is fast enough to almost always hit the ROku shiki fast Lucci; as well as injure him. So, it goes to say that it carries a lot of power and punch. REleasing a salvo as many as the one he used to end the match should be at a time when the opponent is sure to be defeated.

Here i am glad He got Lucci in the back. Lucci probably didnt expect that after his third rokougan on Luffy. i dont know if he could have used his maximum tekkai if he were facing Luffy- but still he could have been seriously injured. I guess that packed a strength bigger than that his gear 3 move that left Lucci's knees shaking.

10) escape is certain. it is shonen- hahahaaa. But lets look at this carefully. if they escape- the WG will surely lose its face. Escape infront of a Buster Call that wipes out islands off of the face of the earth- should soil the image of the WG. Not forgetting escape with sources of knowledge that could rebuild the ancient weapons vis a vis Franky & Robin. And finally, defeat of ennies Lobby and its undefeated-ever image.

This should be like sacrilege done by the mugiwaras on the WG. And i am sure the VA's know of this. With Oda also aware i am expecting a spetacular finale to this arc.
Maybe the giants or iceburg will make a return.

I think this is the first i have seen GK give a 5 out 5 rating for a chapter. Thanks GK :woot

shinwei
September 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
Regarding Lucci, I think the primary thing you have to remember about this arc is that the primary "bad guy" is really split between him and Spandam - who is in my opinion, the true evil of this arc. I think Oda pulled a very good move by creating Spandam, an extremely evil, hateful, despicable, and above all weak and incapable of doing anything by himself. That just makes the reader hate him SO much more and the satisfaction gained when he gets pounded into the ground SO much greater. Lucci, on the other hand is the professional guy who is strong, ruthless, and will do anything it takes to get the job done. It's really hard to hate this guy since really, he's just doing his job in the most efficient way possible, but he is simply the biggest obstacle Luffy had standing before him to get Robin back.

I agree that Luffy falling down and getting back up is pretty cliche. However, the potency of the scenes associated with this type of cliche in OP more than justifies its usage. Usopp's heartfelt unmasking was a golden scene, and I believe you picked the wrong image to represent it. Usopp's final words to Luffy before he gets up were: "Don't make me worry about you like this..!!" The scene depicted Usopp standing on the ship, facing Luffy, and wiping the tears from his eyes with his bandaged arm. THAT was powerful.

The length of the arc itself sure was pretty long, although when considering that most other Shonen Manga is just one long arc without any real conclusive events before the end of the entire manga, it's really not that long. :D

Hermie
September 18, 2006, 02:52 PM
Hermie's Counter-comments!

One sec, bub... we're not done just yet...!
Is that a Wolverine reference? :p

1. Gods and Spirits. Aha, back to the one-shots looking at how the Skypiea cast are doing. This time we see the Shandian chief getting drunk and apparently being very jovial with the nearby chuckling Gan Fall. Judging by the sly expression pasted all over the restored "God's" face, the Sky People seem to have some sort of agenda in this little friendly reprise. Might the Shandians be brought into their culture after all?

Suddenly, I wonder if Oda is trying to show with these one-shots that even villagers do tend to exhibit some "pirate tendencies" every now and then. A while ago we saw the womenfolk of Skypiea exploring a forest, like a scouting party of buccaneers who just arrived at an island hoping for some treasure. And then some warriors taking a lunch break from exhausting work not unlike what sailors would have to do on any pirate ship. Now Gan Fall seems to be about to pull the wool over the Shandian chief's eyes with the aid of a drink, as much as pirate captains might do while drinking rum. Fun.

Of course, it could also just be that they're having a fun evening together. But then, that wouldn't be so interesting...
Interesting point, but I think rather he's just looking back, giving us glimpses for nostaligias sake. That, and he's stalling for the next Front page mini-arc (Kaku's grand savannah adventure, anyone?)

2. Get Up, Luffy...! Usopp getting after Luffy here reminded me of how most sports fans would act when their favorite teams would be losing for a while. Of course, one would tend to be pretty pissed, and be yelling at them to get off their butts and do a better job, and encouraging them to know that in fact they still have a chance to get back into the game.

Since Luffy and Lucci's fight almost feels more to me like a boxing match than a realistic battle between deadly enemies, Usopp's reaction wasn't too unexpected at all here. He's like a member of the audience at a highly-anticipated match, who had just bet on Luffy to win and is about to see that money go down the drain. Except he's wagering his life here.

On the other hand, if it had been just a boxing match, Usopp, as a friend, would likely have been more concerned for Luffy's welfare than about losing any money, so would have been telling him to stay down. Just like Rocky Balboa's coach did - but of course, different circumstances calls for different reactions...
Nah, I think Usopp places much more trust in his captain and nakama than a fan betting on a boxer. He already knows deep down that Luffy can beat him, just like he promised, he just needs the right motivation. Hence this brilliant speech. :)

3. Shock and Bewilderment. I have to admit, I don't blame the Marines for being totally flustered here. After all, they just sent 200 of their best to take care of a motley crew of five, and after seeing their efforts amounting to pretty much nothing so far, there's a sense of awe creeping into their minds now. Count me in - I would have thought that Luffy's crew would have been captured by now, making the situation even more desperate.
Mhm, imagine if the modern army sent 200 officers from the very best companies, only to have them taken down by a few mercenaries.. That would seem pretty far out. xD

I still believe that Nico Robin is definitely Luffy's most powerful member of the crew at the moment though. When she does Ocho Fleur Flip to a number of opponents, there's not much they can do to get free at all. I wonder just how many arms and hands she could grow at once, but at the moment it certainly looks like she's handling the Marines just fine...
It all depends, it seems the arms are exactly like her own arms, so they all have her arm strength. So if she faces someone with enough muscles to withstand the grip, or f.ex. uses Tekkai, or has a Paramecia or Logia fruit, that allows them to bend into unnatural poses, it might not go so well...

She's perfect agains't bunches of weaker opponents, though. :)

4. Surprise, Luffy...! Heh, figures that Luffy never did suspect who Sogeking was, despite the disguise not exactly being all that clever. Still, doesn't take a whole lot to fool Luffy I guess... luckily he's got a crew around him that knows what's going on.
Luffy never sees him taking off the mask, and he's probably too dizzy to note the cape and Kabuto, and he's just dimwitted enough to think that Usopp arrived separetly, and wonder where Sogeking left. XDD

Well, I suppose the dramatic build-up to Luffy's realization that Usopp had indeed come with them wasn't a bad idea. Also kills two birds with a stone - one, the rescue of Robin, and two, the reconciliation between Luffy and Usopp. Ever since their duel, Luffy's crew hasn't been the same.

I do like the climax of this battle, I just wish Oda hadn't taken so long to get around to it. But now that it's finally here, I enjoyed it a bit. Luffy obviously still cared for Usopp a lot, judging by how angry he still was at Franky for having beaten him up. And vice versa here for Usopp concerning Luffy's welfare, as he had just revealed. These two are definitely going to have more trust in each other after this whole arc ends
I've been waiting for the reunion too. ^_^ They seem to care about eachother much, and is on the same wavelength about the stereotypical pirate lifestyle. Can't wait to see them sing and dance together again. =)

5. One Hell of a Challenge...! Although I found Usopp's challenge to Lucci somewhat hilarious at first, I have to admit that took guts. We have to remember that after all, Usopp IS a coward at times - and to say something like that to Lucci, even if just to spur Luffy on, definitely took courage.

Usopp had to choose his words very carefully to get Luffy all riled up again. In doing so, he showed flashes of being a genius. Of course, he was always good at being a talker, but this time he had to deal with a friend instead of trying to fool his opponents. There was still that spark of rivalry that still existed between them since that duel, because even though Usopp lost that one, he had certainly surprised and even scared Luffy. So Usopp counted on that first with his challenge to Lucci, and in doing so somewhat saying that Luffy was losing out again in their little rivalry. That got Luffy's attention (and concern for Usopp's safety at the same time).
Yeah, the courage is magnificent, hopefully one thing he'll carry on from the role of Sogeking.

But I don't think the challenge was ALL empty talk. He genuinely seemed ready to fight Lucchi because Luffy couldn't, prepared to sacrifice his life to stop him.Those are the moments I really like with him, like when he continued to grab the Kuro pirates when they were invading, when he stood up from his possum play and faced Chu, and when he endured Miss Merry Christmas' Mogu Mogu Highway, and gave a speech to Chopper about being a man. ^_^

After that, Usopp entirely woke Luffy up by reminding him that he wasn't dying yet - that he wasn't a ghost in the underworld, that he was still a pirate captain with all the world around him still waiting to be explored. All the oceans, all the sky - everything awaits him. All he had to do was beat Lucci. Despite the carnage and the wreckage at Enies Lobby, Luffy hadn't gone to hell yet.

This part is what I liked the most about this chapter. Usopp's speech to Luffy here was what really got him back into action. Good pep talk, for sure!
Yes! After reading it, I felt like I could take on Lucchi without problems. ^_^

6. One Last Round...! Cool scene to see Luffy finally get up and face the villain again, even though it is a bit cliche.

You know what I mean - whenever the antagonist believes that the hero has finally fallen down, he/she usually walks off without finishing him off. And even if somebody seems to be on the verge of talking the hero back into action, the villain doesn't take any action. He just waits and sees if the guy does get up for another round. After which, he proceeds to get spanked.

In reality, this is what probably would have happened - while Usopp's going on about Luffy not being in "hell," Lucci would have taken the opportunity to speed over Luffy and stomped his head into the ground with a foot, and then grinned, saying, "NOW he is."

Of course, that would have been the end of the series, too...! (Sorry for any disturbing thoughts, kids!) All the same, still a well-done scene. Somehow Luffy getting up and radiating steam at the same time is even more badass than when he did it without the hot air.
Agreed, it's kinda cliche. But, as long as it's done with magnificent, touching writing, and lovely art, I can't care too much, because it just works so well, no matter how many times it has been used before.

7. Let's Try This Again...! A while ago, I complained about Luffy not using another technique in order to try to take Lucci down for good instead of the usual 'Jet Pistol.' Now we see Lucci fall victim to the same mindset of feeling like his attacks were getting the job done and not having to improvise any more - and relying on the Rokuougan for the THIRD chapter in a row. Tsk tsk.

Well, if nothing else, Luffy is going to come out of this battle looking like he was used as one of Zoro's practice dummies. He'd better eat some more meat as soon as possible!

Sidenote: Here's my one major gripe of the chapter. Right after Lucci does the Rokuougan here, we get a sense of Luffy being on the ground again, and we never did get to see Lucci turn around again leading to the next scene where Luffy would stand up again and do his final attack. That's a little bit of poor sequential storytelling right there. I actually wondered if there was a page missing, or if the pages were arranged in the wrong order, when I first read the RAW. So - I have to take a few points away for that. However, I LOVED what came next...
This one I'm with you on. I'd expect him to pull something even more damaging out of his sleeve, but it was just the same... My reaction was also "how did he get over there?"

8. For Robin! Alright, I have to admit I loved that Oda had Luffy think back to when Robin finally confessed that she did want to live (nice touch in making her look like her little girl self, too!) Made the next double-spread where Luffy totally schooled Lucci (finally!) all that more incredibly satisfying to me.

Sometimes flashbacks are definitely good to remind us just exactly what the protagonist is fighting for, again. In this case, it's Robin's freedom. You can tell Oda cares a lot about his characters by the emotion and passion he projects into these "final scenes," which almost always makes for good writing in the end.

Well, Robin has also always been one of my favorites since she joined Luffy's crew (probably because she seemed the most sane, even more than Zoro!) and for that reason, also, I guess I was even happier that Luffy put his all into that last move. I can definitely seeing that image of a crying Robin in Luffy's mind and empowering his rapid-fire punches even more...! Yeah, I even got a little teary-eyed during this scene. (Of course, might have just been the dust in the air... >.> )
All with you, easily one of the most awesome moments in this arc! You could almost feel and touch the emotions swirling around in Luffy as he finally connect his final attack, and you feel like shouting "YEAH!" when you see the spread. ^_^

9. Take a Good Look... Probably the first time Lucci has ever been defeated.

There's always a first time for everything, eh?

Nice final scene here of his bird, Hattori, landing on Lucci's chest and wondering what the beejesus just happened to his master. Guess he was just a normal pigeon after all. Surprise...! I know some people suspected there were more to Hattori than met the eye! Strange that Lucci would keep such a pet when he probably had the appetite of a cat, too. Guess that's Oda's imagination for ya, though. All in all, certainly a bizarre scene, but very nicely drawn.

Well, here's my final thoughts on Lucci: nice antagonist, but Oda could definitely have done more with him. He always seemed more of a flunky than a major villain. Yes, somewhat unsettling that he went on and killed 500 hostages just in order to eliminate a potential bad situation for the government, but that just went to show how twisted his sense of justice and "good" was - meaning that he probably wasn't all that bright, either. A powerful flunky to be sure, but still just a flunky.

Somebody posted in one of my previous Comments that Lucci had more, shall we say, presence in his normal human self than he did as a over-muscled Leopard man. I have to agree. Lucci was a vintage example of how a quiet man could be more dangerous than he acted. He also seemed more scary somehow in that he was so cold-looking and heartless in his normal self, and absolutely looked like he could back up his talk. As a leopard man, he somewhat lost some of that aura and just looked like another Herculean monster that Luffy had to knock down. Too bad.

In a way I even think Lucci was even almost a step down from the villains Luffy had just faced in Enel and Crocodile. But hey, that's just my opinion.

I suppose Lucci's whole crew was tough, though. Definitely more of a challenge for everybody else in Luffy's party.
I never really got the evil mastermind vibe from Lucchi either. He was more like "Alright, the Government says I have to kill you, so I'll kill you now"
He was bad-ass and all, but he needed to enjoy his evilness a bit more, like he boasted he were.

10. It's Over! ...Almost? Well, finally, Luffy's battle with Lucci is over. I was somewhat sarcastic in saying last week that I thought it would take five more chapters, but I'm very relieved that it ended. It took WAY too long. And I don't even think Lucci was as tough as Enel was, for instance, as I already said. Luffy being in such a perilious situation as that where his crewmates were being attacked from all around was pretty cool, though.
I think it will seem a bit shorter when we don't have to wait a week between the chapters (just like the Sakura/Chiyo/Sasori fight)

Speaking of which... they still have the Marines to go. But judging by their sheer astonishment at the end of this chapter, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to give Luffy some leeway for now. If they gave Lucci that much respect, it's likely they don't have anybody there who are as good as he is - although all things considered, they SHOULD try to take Luffy while he's so exhausted. It's a good opportunity as any to capture a "notorious criminal," heh. But looks like none of the Admirals are there, at least.

Although I'd like to see Aokiji drop by and give the Marines the order to go away. (I kinda like Aokiji for some reason.)
Meh, they'll deal with all the normal marines easily enough, what I'm worried about is the Vice-admirals. Just how strong are they to be ranked the same as Saul, and one rank underneath Aokiji?

And where the hell is Sanji?!!

The Boff
September 18, 2006, 04:41 PM
great comments GK. and im well behind you on 5 out of 5 for this one!
Usopps speach was glorious, the flashbacks were perfect and luffy finished it with my favourite move.
the gattling, and first time in gear 2. awesome.

keep the one piece comin dude! :nuts

Gold Knight
September 19, 2006, 09:35 PM
Heh, thanks all for commenting, I'll be sure to reply soon.

(Btw, Hermie, I answered that "Where's Sanji?" question last chapter's review ^^ )Posted on: September 18, 2006, 06:56:13 PM_________________________________________________
Okay, let's go:

Very good comments as ever, Gold Knight.

2) That scene surprised me a little, I am not a big Usopp fan so I had kinda forgot his deep friendship with Luffy :eyeroll

Well, Usopp and Luffy never really had much of a relationship until now, which is why I think Oda did this. It was to make their bond stronger.

10) I'm not sure they will escape easily from the remaining marines, but I wouldn't be sad if it happens.

I would have imagined at least some of the Admirals being on the scene for a Buster Call...

Yay!!! Early Comments :turtle :turtle

1) i always take these one shots at times as a way for ODa to make us remember all those characters that made us fall in love with One Piece- but are not playing a part in the current action. Or may never even appear again. and probably waht they may be doing now.

i am sure a time to come we will see a shot of Lucci and his CP9 crew relaxing somewhere.
in this one i think ganfall is really pissed off at something :p :p

Nah, I think he was grinning ear to ear... hard to see thru his beard, though. And yeah, you're probably right - these characters won't appear again in the story anytime soon.

2, 4-5) Usopp lives up to his name again-- "hey bosscat- i am your opponent". i think he was lying through his teeth- he probably didnt
even want to fight Lucci in the first place.

Still took courage to bring attention on him like that, though. Lucci is still very speedy and could easily fly over to him right away before Usopp even has a chance to hide.

and this was right after shouting lUffy's name as if he feared luffy dying. he lies through his teeth saying he didnt come here for Luffy but Robin. Partially true-eh.
But it sure did the trick- a nice shining moment for seemingly the only human SH crew. His fight with Luffy surely did give him some confidence- but he still has some of those lies with him- i hope he stays like that.

All of Luffy's crew has grown in this arc, but yeah, Usopp definitely, too. But I'm sure he'll always tell tall stories.

i am still srprised Luffy didnt realize sogeking was Usopp. Luffy now is even more clueless to me than Naruto or Goku or ichigo( bleach 242)

Haha. Yeah it's kind of like that whole Clark Kent / Superman deal - he takes his glasses off, "oh look! It's Superman!" - and then back on - "Oh, it's Clark" - then off - "Superman!"

But it's obvious Oda meant for Luffy to be more clueless than the others here, since I think everybody else knew who Sogeking really was.

3)that really shows the whole crew has come so far ahead in terms of strength and team work. Sanji- sabotage. Nami/zoro/robin- protect the ship and everyone else- and hopefully Usopp destroys some ships later. Almost forgot about Franky- coup de vent - ofc he needs more cola- ahahahaa. i do hope he joins the crew.

what still amazes me is how strong nami has become. Really incredible. and that the crew is fighting weakened against 200 captains- just incredible!! they almost look too uber strong to me now.

Yeah, I'm happy that Oda gave Nami more powers. I still wish Kishimoto and Kubo would do the same for their leading female characters.

6-9) i am glad not only Usopps speech but also Luffy's RObin flashback proved to be catalysts to the finishing move. The fight is over- indeed. Its been a long one.

Agreed-

And Now i probbably understand why lUffy didnt use the jet gatling technique at all throughout except the end. I mean- one jet pistol is fast enough to almost always hit the ROku shiki fast Lucci; as well as injure him. So, it goes to say that it carries a lot of power and punch. REleasing a salvo as many as the one he used to end the match should be at a time when the opponent is sure to be defeated.

Yes, but he nearly never got the chance to do it. But I see your point.

Here i am glad He got Lucci in the back. Lucci probably didnt expect that after his third rokougan on Luffy. i dont know if he could have used his maximum tekkai if he were facing Luffy- but still he could have been seriously injured. I guess that packed a strength bigger than that his gear 3 move that left Lucci's knees shaking.

Actually, I think Lucci turned around to take his Jet Gatling technique full on - like I said, I think Oda messed up a bit on the sequential storytelling there.

10) escape is certain. it is shonen- hahahaaa. But lets look at this carefully. if they escape- the WG will surely lose its face. Escape infront of a Buster Call that wipes out islands off of the face of the earth- should soil the image of the WG. Not forgetting escape with sources of knowledge that could rebuild the ancient weapons vis a vis Franky & Robin. And finally, defeat of ennies Lobby and its undefeated-ever image.

This should be like sacrilege done by the mugiwaras on the WG. And i am sure the VA's know of this. With Oda also aware i am expecting a spetacular finale to this arc.
Maybe the giants or iceburg will make a return.

Ha. And the rewards for capturing Luffy and his crew become even higher, too, as a result, that's definitely gonna happen.

I think this is the first i have seen GK give a 5 out 5 rating for a chapter. Thanks GK :woot

Nope, not the first time I've given a 5 of 5. I gave it for Naruto 317 last, I think. But this was definitely a good week for Naruto and OP both.

Regarding Lucci, I think the primary thing you have to remember about this arc is that the primary "bad guy" is really split between him and Spandam - who is in my opinion, the true evil of this arc. I think Oda pulled a very good move by creating Spandam, an extremely evil, hateful, despicable, and above all weak and incapable of doing anything by himself. That just makes the reader hate him SO much more and the satisfaction gained when he gets pounded into the ground SO much greater. Lucci, on the other hand is the professional guy who is strong, ruthless, and will do anything it takes to get the job done. It's really hard to hate this guy since really, he's just doing his job in the most efficient way possible, but he is simply the biggest obstacle Luffy had standing before him to get Robin back.

Good points all. I never really thought much of Spandam, but I suppose you're right. Still, I'm not going to be impressed by anybody who follows orders from somebody as disrespectable as that guy.

I agree that Luffy falling down and getting back up is pretty cliche. However, the potency of the scenes associated with this type of cliche in OP more than justifies its usage. Usopp's heartfelt unmasking was a golden scene, and I believe you picked the wrong image to represent it. Usopp's final words to Luffy before he gets up were: "Don't make me worry about you like this..!!" The scene depicted Usopp standing on the ship, facing Luffy, and wiping the tears from his eyes with his bandaged arm. THAT was powerful.

The image I chose was to show what exactly I was going to talk about with the whole "we're not in hell" thing.

I suppose I should have followed more on that by talking about how Luffy was making everybody worry, but there wasn't much for me to add to that, because I've already commented about that last couple of chapters. Usopp's crying was an interesting scene but it was still a little over-the-top for me. He needed to be a bit more tough than that if he really wants to be a pirate.

The length of the arc itself sure was pretty long, although when considering that most other Shonen Manga is just one long arc without any real conclusive events before the end of the entire manga, it's really not that long. :D

It really more or less depends on how you like your stories I guess. This arc, technically, started with when Aokiji tried to kill Robin, before Luffy's crew headed to Water Seven. That's over 100 chapters ago. Only Naruto's Chuunin Exams arc and Bleach's Rescue of Rukia arc were that long out of anything else I've read. Well, I suppose both might have arcs like these again eventually.

[b]Hermie's Counter-comments!

Is that a Wolverine reference? :p

No, I actually really like saying "bub." Bub. :p

Interesting point, but I think rather he's just looking back, giving us glimpses for nostaligias sake. That, and he's stalling for the next Front page mini-arc (Kaku's grand savannah adventure, anyone?)

Yeah, yeah... just let me look more deeply into these things, okay? ;)

Nah, I think Usopp places much more trust in his captain and nakama than a fan betting on a boxer. He already knows deep down that Luffy can beat him, just like he promised, he just needs the right motivation. Hence this brilliant speech. :)

If he really was that confident, why'd he cry?

It all depends, it seems the arms are exactly like her own arms, so they all have her arm strength. So if she faces someone with enough muscles to withstand the grip, or f.ex. uses Tekkai, or has a Paramecia or Logia fruit, that allows them to bend into unnatural poses, it might not go so well...

True. Still one of the more useful abilities though as she can also use her hands/arms to grab some weapons nearby.

Luffy never sees him taking off the mask, and he's probably too dizzy to note the cape and Kabuto, and he's just dimwitted enough to think that Usopp arrived separetly, and wonder where Sogeking left. XDD

"Dimwitted" is right. :D

I've been waiting for the reunion too. ^_^ They seem to care about eachother much, and is on the same wavelength about the stereotypical pirate lifestyle. Can't wait to see them sing and dance together again. =)

Heh, it's time Luffy's crew definitely needed some quiet moments again... I actually this was more adventure than any of them ever wanted, for a change.

But I don't think the challenge was ALL empty talk. He genuinely seemed ready to fight Lucchi because Luffy couldn't, prepared to sacrifice his life to stop him.Those are the moments I really like with him, like when he continued to grab the Kuro pirates when they were invading, when he stood up from his possum play and faced Chu, and when he endured Miss Merry Christmas' Mogu Mogu Highway, and gave a speech to Chopper about being a man. ^_^

Yeah, well, after doing the big talk there, Usopp really didn't have a choice if Luffy didn't get back up. If Luffy stayed down, Usopp would definitely have had to fight Lucci one way or the other. No way out of it, 'cause Lucci was headed straight for him.

This one I'm with you on. I'd expect him to pull something even more damaging out of his sleeve, but it was just the same... My reaction was also "how did he get over there?"

Yeah :s

All with you, easily one of the most awesome moments in this arc! You could almost feel and touch the emotions swirling around in Luffy as he finally connect his final attack, and you feel like shouting "YEAH!" when you see the spread. ^_^

Yup ^^

I never really got the evil mastermind vibe from Lucchi either. He was more like "Alright, the Government says I have to kill you, so I'll kill you now"
He was bad-ass and all, but he needed to enjoy his evilness a bit more, like he boasted he were.

Yeah, Shinwei pretty much hit the nail on the head for that, I guess Spandam was the REAL bad guy here, but he wasn't much of a powerful opponent at all. Oda set it up so that Franky would get some satisfaction out of beating the snot out of him though.

I think it will seem a bit shorter when we don't have to wait a week between the chapters (just like the Sakura/Chiyo/Sasori fight)

Oh no, no. This arc was WAY longer than that. :p First we have Luffy going to Water Seven then having to deal with Franky and then with being arrested under suspicion for Iceberg's assassination. Then Lucci and Kaku and the rest revealing themselves as the real villains, and taking Robin along, the flood of Water Seven, the train to Enies Lobby, then the assault on Enies Lobby. Actually, I'm not even sure if this arc is over yet...

Meh, they'll deal with all the normal marines easily enough, what I'm worried about is the Vice-admirals. Just how strong are they to be ranked the same as Saul, and one rank underneath Aokiji?

I think they're all pretty strong.

And where the hell is Sanji?!!

Like I said, probably snuck on one of the ships to bail Luffy's crew out a little bit.

great comments GK. and im well behind you on 5 out of 5 for this one!
Usopps speach was glorious, the flashbacks were perfect and luffy finished it with my favourite move.
the gattling, and first time in gear 2. awesome.

keep the one piece comin dude! :nuts

Thanks ^^

shinwei
September 20, 2006, 10:00 AM
Well the villainy of this Arc is brilliant in its own way for a few reasons. As I said earlier, the real villain of this arc was Spandam, not Lucci - and this is significant because:

A) After Skypiea, everyone expected another super strong, horribly evil villain with another Logia type Devil Fruit. Oda once again defies expectations and keeps his series unpredictable by introducing Spandam, focusing only on the "horribly evil" part and eschewing the strength and Devil Fruit completely, which magnifies his despicability tenfold IMO.
B) Lucci and CP9 were the physical barrier keeping Luffy and his crew from reaching their goal, NOT the evil mastermind focused on ruining their lives. Furthermore, Lucci also did not have a Logia-type fruit, again defying expectations and raising unpredictability.

For some more I hate Spandam talk:
http://www.apforums.net/showthread.php?t=8006

Dragonzair
September 20, 2006, 10:59 AM
KEKEKE 8D And on to the comments! <3

[1] Yeah. I love these side stories Oda does for us. It’s like he’s saying “I’m not leaving the other characters alone. I know a lot of you miss them!” XD I love him. XD

I like how they’re all relaxed looking there. XD And yeah. Oda somehow portrays them as jolly dee-doo pirates. Lol. And Conis’ father in the bag. XD

[2]

Not only his life, but his own nakama’s as well. Once Luffy goes down, it’s all over for them. He is their captain, and without their captain, they can’t move on. At least, that’s how I see it. :p

[3] KEKEKE. I just enjoyed seeing the Marines’ faces and reaction to the strength of the Straw Hats. They finally realize just how powerful they all are put together. Because of this, just how high will Robin’s, Zoro’s and Luffy’s bounties rise?

A lot of Marines have witnessed their strength. And knowing how strong their own Captains are, seeing all of them go down with just a few people for opponents…

OHOHOHO

Beat that, you crazy Marines!

Maybe strongest in technique, but not in strength.

She can definitely use her ability to an advantage against a fight with either Luffy or Zoro, but, those two guys are probably much better in combat, than she is. Also, with the amount of training Zoro does, he probably has the most stamina, which is probably his best advantage against others.

I remember this one scene after his wound opened when he was confronted by Arlong. He was sleeping in the side, when a huge boulder hit his head, and the most damage it did to him was that it woke him up.

Until I see Robin really ‘fight’, I might change that. :p But yeah. If you were to rank all the strawhats, I’d say she’d probably be the third or fourth. Or fifth, if Chopper was really strong. Dunno. XD Can’t really say.

Oh, in case you’re interested, Oda has stated that she can produce up to 200 copies, Although in the fourth movie, she made over a thousand to form a giant hand.

[4] Yu have no idea how glad I am to see him take that blasted mask and identity off. He even looks a lot cooler without the mask, when wearing that Sogeking cloak! XD

But I’m still wondering whether Luffy knows he was Sogeking. Unless he can clearly see Soge’s clothes, I don’t think he even knows their one and the same.

He just says “Ussop? You really came?”

But made no realization that he was Sogeking or something. Maybe in the next few chapters.

And yeah. Finally, Oda. :p

[5] Agreed.

That definitely took a lot of courage for him to do that. And I’m glad. XD Before I even started reading OP, I already had ‘hated’ Ussop. Mostly because of Mentos. Not like I blame him or anything. I kinda understand why Mentos hates him all that much.

Though he’s shown how good he can really be to his friends in older chapters, there are times I wish he’d stop being a coward, and stick with his friends. Next to them, not far away.

But he was alright, until I came to the chapters where Mentos hated him with passion.

His fight with Luffy. Agreed, I understand why he acted like that. Going Merry was given to them by Kaya, and it means a lot to him. But the thing is, Going Merry had told him that it will do it’s best to take them a little further more.

What I’m trying to say is, Going Merry is hurting the most here. She’s the one damaged. And she probably knows she can’t last any longer, but is doing her best for her crew and nakama.

Ussop is just making it harder.

And this chapter made me forgive him for being so stupidly annoying back then (at least to me). Look at him, all grown up. The way he looks when he challenged Lucci, had nothing of the coward he was. All I see is anger, and determination. Good job! XD

And the best bit is, he got Luffy to stand up. Which pretty much ends this fight! USSOP FTW! XD

[6] Luffy’s pose there, as always, ownz.

Somehow Luffy getting up and radiating steam at the same time is even more badass than when he did it without the hot air.

Agreed again! Oda’s artwork is getting so much amazing, and I love how he makes it seem like your watching his drawings, rather than just looking at a single panel.

I can seriously see the air around Luffy smoking and fizzing about.

[7] Déjà vu much? XD

Lucci was probably thinking he could beat Luffy this time. Even with Ussop in there. I kinda sense Lucci to be the kind of guy who doesn’t rely on others for strength.

Oh how wrong you are. :p

[8] AHHHH. I cried.

Especially since Robin’s my most favourite. When I read the spoilers, I thought it was going to be new flashbacks, so I was almost distressed to see the same ones.

But the fact that the flashbacks were used to show just how determined Luffy is to bring Lucci down, it’s just. Beautiful! XD

*screams randomly*

THAT PUNCH IS FOR ROBIN!

The satisfaction you get. The only time I can say I’ve had this feeling is when Robin slaps Spanda a dozen times.

GOGOGO!

[9] Lol. I didn’t even see the bird there, until you mentioned it.

Now that’s funny. I am one of the few who believed the bird to be evil as well. >.> Guess he’s just the same as Iceberg’s pet. Just a pet. XD

I actually had this fleeting sense of belief that Hattori was a member of CP9! >.>; God help me.

Somebody posted in one of my previous Comments that Lucci had more, shall we say, presence in his normal human self than he did as a over-muscled Leopard man. I have to agree.

Me too!

The leopard man…just makes him look weird. Especially since I can’t stop thinking of how terrible Kalifa looked with bubbles all over her.

I cracked up so hard.

He definitely looks bad-ass in his normal form. I think it’s because the leopard nose looks uber weird on his face.

Right. Enel is definitely the strongest opponent Luffy’s faced. That is, if we were to not include Aokiji. >_>

Enel was the only one to have escaped Luffy’s attacks standing up. Everyone else was thrown off, or lying faint on the ground.

[10] Off to escaping!

I have to say. Seeing Robin smile. AUGH. I CRIED AGAIN.

DAMN YOU, ODA.

He’s the only one to have managed to make me cry this much over a manga. Dear God.

Yep. And as I said on MSN. I want to see Smoker as well. I don’t know why, but I keep having this faint feeling that we’ll get to see either of them in the upcoming chapters.

It’s the right time, dammit. We haven’t seen Smoker since the end of the Alabasta arc. >_<

Blehehehhe.

Enjoyed your comments!

renrutal
September 24, 2006, 01:56 AM
I have to wholeheartly agree with the opinions about Lucci, he was way less frightening, towering and wicked than any of Luffy's major enemies. However, all the fights from the other Straw Hats were better than in previous chapters.

More importantly, Luffy did not do an uber-special attack like he did against other enemies, it did not have a breathtaking feeling. Before this fight Luffy ended everything with one environment destructing attack, all of them sending the bosses very far.

venicia777
September 24, 2006, 05:17 PM
I have to wholeheartly agree with the opinions about Lucci, he was way less frightening, towering and wicked than any of Luffy's major enemies. However, all the fights from the other Straw Hats were better than in previous chapters.

More importantly, Luffy did not do an uber-special attack like he did against other enemies, it did not have a breathtaking feeling. Before this fight Luffy ended everything with one environment destructing attack, all of them sending the bosses very far.

i think one of the reasons Lucci had that air was partly because he is not literally a bad guy. He is just a coldhearted WG operative/assasin. And ironically in Luffy's world it is Luffy and crew who are the bad ones.

i believe like some that Lucci even looked more evil when he wasnt transformed. But you have to admit he is the strongest brawler DF user Luffy ever met. It was a pure brawl.

and like i said in an earlier GK comment- Luffy was lucky to have saved that jet gatling salvo for last. IF he had done it earlier in the fight i doubt Lucci would have gone down. And it was even more effective because it hit Lucci in the back, giving no chance for any countermeasures.

Part of what i am saying is that Luffy was close to losing in this fight just like say in the crocodile fight (Ofc all of us know even crocodile had wanted to kill Luffy when they first fought in the desert he could have easily done it).