PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Professional Translator

seme-_-uke
March 04, 2009, 07:10 PM
Hi
My dream is to become a professional translator for anime and manga but I dont know how to start. I have been taking Japanese for 7 years and plan to study abroad this coming year to help with my fluency. I have also submitted applications to Manga companies but have not heard from them. I have just started translating and I have not had any internships since there is no opportunities like that in Minnesota. I was wondering what you all recommend.

Plus the study abroad I am doing one is like 20,000 at Nagoya
the other is 40000 in Tokyo with internship possibilities and one of them is Japanime. What do you guys think?

Strider's♥Death
March 04, 2009, 07:29 PM
Hi
My dream is to become a professional translator for anime and manga but I dont know how to start. I have been taking Japanese for 7 years and plan to study abroad this coming year to help with my fluency. I have also submitted applications to Manga companies but have not heard from them. I have just started translating and I have not had any internships since there is no opportunities like that in Minnesota. I was wondering what you all recommend.

Plus the study abroad I am doing one is like 20,000 at Nagoya
the other is 40000 in Tokyo with internship possibilities and one of them is Japanime. What do you guys think?

Uhhhhhhhh If u really have a chance of getting an internship at JapanAnime then HOLD ON TO THAT FOR DEAR LIFE YES YES!!!!!!.
*drools*

seme-_-uke
March 04, 2009, 08:43 PM
But that is also 40000 and I would have to pay with loans as fin aid would maybe cover 1/4 of it...X( ...that is my main issue...plus it is not guranteed that I would be placed with them...that is what really sucks

ikuroi
March 09, 2009, 02:14 PM
To be frank, imo you need to spend more timein Japan... but hell 7 years is a lot. Anyways, you can find words in Japan and stuff that you prolly need to know if you gonna translate for a living. Don't just translate anime/manga if you are serious about it. Everything is a merit, as long as you translate japanese <-> english. good luck!

◆ T.D.A ◆
March 09, 2009, 02:38 PM
The best person(s) to ask would probably be Hisshouburaiken or njt.

Name-Undecided
April 09, 2009, 08:55 AM
I read an article by a professional manga translator a few months ago. Took me a while to dig it up again but here you go: http://www.comicsvillage.com/column.aspx?ArticleID=243