PDA

View Full Version : Character Magellan Discussion Thread

weixiaobao
March 19, 2009, 10:25 PM
What you guys think about Magellan, compared to the enemies Luffy faced so far, who is he probably can fight in equal term with?

and is he at the shichibukai level? yonkou? (since he obviously not afraid that whitebeard is coming) admiral?

Isto
March 20, 2009, 03:50 PM
in shichibukai the levels vary so that from those

but i dont really think he is even close to an admiral / yonko (even some of the sichibukais might be)

but he sure is tought to take luffys jet bazooka (even luffy was weakened by hunger or something and all those fights before, not sure would he have stood up after the meat stuff up)

and his fruit is one of the baddest not logia

i think he would be strong even without the fruit

maybe there is an island in grand line that has those type of winged race like magellan / hannybal

maybe in new world

gao_dargon
March 22, 2009, 03:02 AM
in shichibukai the levels vary so that from those

but i dont really think he is even close to an admiral / yonko (even some of the sichibukais might be)

but he sure is tought to take luffys jet bazooka (even luffy was weakened by hunger or something and all those fights before, not sure would he have stood up after the meat stuff up)

and his fruit is one of the baddest not logia

i think he would be strong even without the fruit

maybe there is an island in grand line that has those type of winged race like magellan / hannybal

maybe in new world

now that you mention it, remeber the slave price list for the human auction?
there was one race that we don't know anything at all, maybe its like the sky island but in in a hell-ish vercion, and thats where they came from

bittman
March 22, 2009, 06:47 PM
now that you mention it, remeber the slave price list for the human auction?
there was one race that we don't know anything at all, maybe its like the sky island but in in a hell-ish vercion, and thats where they came from

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/501/07/

Minkmen perhaps? Sounds like people with fur to me (like a Mink Coat).

On Magellan, to me he is probably the first villain since Crocodile that needs to be defeated, but I cannot guess how he will be defeated in the end. I mean, Enel, Lucchi and Moria were always going to be defeated by Luffy, and Kuma and Aokoji were always going to defeat Luffy in the arcs they appeared. In this one, like Crocodile, Luffy has lost but has not escaped to relative safety. I feel people can guess how Ace or Jimbei can beat Magellan, but if Luffy doesn't defeat him in this arc I'll feel disappointed.

To me, my main wonder about Magellan is whether he will outlast this arc. Most villains thus far have had the potential to be influential to the Strawhat's travel in the future, though most haven't, all villains have been forced to leave the place Luffy met them meaning they may meet again one day, even if it seems unlikely. On the other hand here, Magellan will doubtfully leave and threaten Luffy further on, so he may possibly be the first villain we can 100% close out of being influential later.

That said, I can already see the Hannybal, Magellan and Sadie Cover Arc, and in my mind it's hilarious.

Gecko Moria
March 23, 2009, 02:25 AM
It's going to difficult to escape from Impel Down without defeating Magellan, but maybe Luffy will team up with someone else to overcome him. Unless Luffy can improve drastically within the time he is in Impel Down it will be hard for him to beat Magellan, since, as we have just seen, he did not do very well. Perhaps, the person that is going to heal him will provide him with an antidote that renders him immune to Magellan's poison or (less likely) he will gain enough mastery of haki to be able to nullify the poisons' effects.

Randomcircle
March 23, 2009, 07:38 AM
I think he is at the same Level as Lucci..About what you say Gecko Moria. Does nobody think that Mr 1 might be immune to Magellan poison ? His whole body is covered of steel..which immune him from getting actually touch by the poison..Even if Acid will work on him..he might be able to beat him with some help..no ?

kkck
March 23, 2009, 11:55 AM
Maybe the wings are part of the uniform lol.

bittman
March 23, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think he is at the same Level as Lucci..About what you say Gecko Moria. Does nobody think that Mr 1 might be immune to Magellan poison ? His whole body is covered of steel..which immune him from getting actually touch by the poison..Even if Acid will work on him..he might be able to beat him with some help..no ?

People over-rate Mr1 by a large amount. If Das Bones could really do half of what people think he could do, he should be stronger than Lucchi. By some recounts, Mr 1 can turn his ENTIRE body into steel. If this was true, why didn't he move around in this form 24/7?

However, you do probably have a point there since I can't see poison affecting steel. That said again, Steel it may be, but it is just added upon an organic body. So unless Mr 1 can turn his lungs, throat, eyes, nose, tongue, hair and all of his skin into steel, Magellan will find a way through.

Gecko Moria
March 24, 2009, 02:09 AM

Yeah Magellan is near the same level as Lucci, perhaps a bit stronger since his devil fruit is fatal even with one touch.

You may be overestimating Mr 1 or underestimating Magellan here. Despite, being able to become steel (to what degree I'm not certain), I'm guessing that he would still be affected by poison. It doesn't matter what he's made from as long as he is human, poison still affects him.

Isto
March 24, 2009, 08:34 AM
luffy is rubber and it still affected him

even being steel you still have lungs eyes noses etc like someone mentioned above

and the poison melts stone actually maybe even metal ? (or some of the type of poisons)

let's also remember that magellan have various types of poisons in his use

Gecko Moria
March 24, 2009, 02:19 PM
luffy is rubber and it still affected him

even being steel you still have lungs eyes noses etc like someone mentioned above

and the poison melts stone actually maybe even metal ? (or some of the type of poisons)

let's also remember that magellan have various types of poisons in his use

The victims of Magellan's poisons do look like they've been melted, or maybe Oda created that for effect. The poisons may have some acidic properties that allow it to melt objects. However, skin and steel are still very different so maybe the poison can't melt through steel. We'll just have to wait and see as Magellan has not shown the true extent of his power yet.

mugiwara84
March 25, 2009, 02:27 AM
So far I found Magellan a lot more impressive then Lucci cause this bastard can own you bye just sitting still and if you touch him it's game over. I mean at Lucci you just needed to be superior in the physical department though I know that's easier said then done. But Magellan, I don't have the slightest idea either how he will be defeated and I hope it'll be a lot more interesting then just haki haxx though I am betting on haki like almost everyone. Hell he seems the type you can only defeat after you find a way to byepass his DF which seems even more difficult then surpassing Lucci in the physical department. So till Luffy (cause I do think Luffy will repay him) shows me how it's done I'll find him as haxx as logias.

Dice
March 26, 2009, 01:25 PM
If Luffy works with Mr. 3 like he did against the one on level three he could hit Magellan without touching him....that's what I think...and in level 5 Mr. 3 should be able to use his technics better again. Furthermore Luffy could use a tree, a rock, Mr. 1, etc. to hit Magellan.

Onomatopoeia
March 28, 2009, 05:49 PM
The victims of Magellan's poisons do look like they've been melted, or maybe Oda created that for effect. The poisons may have some acidic properties that allow it to melt objects. However, skin and steel are still very different so maybe the poison can't melt through steel. We'll just have to wait and see as Magellan has not shown the true extent of his power yet.

Explain, because I thought that Magellan was just using a different kind of poison(since he defintely does seem to have different kinds) when he melted the rock, more acidic in compisition. I figured it was likely since he seemed to prepare for it in a different way. The other type while deadly probably effects humans from the inside which is why they don't seem to melt to death, its also a lot more painful.

I mean he defintely melted through that rock and if you can melt through a rock it would seem likely that you could melt through skin.

Lord Rayleigh
March 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
Explain, because I thought that Magellan was just using a different kind of poison(since he defintely does seem to have different kinds)
It has already been said he has got a lot of different kinds of poison
http://onemanga.com/One_Piece/536/02/

Gecko Moria
March 29, 2009, 10:53 PM
Explain, because I thought that Magellan was just using a different kind of poison(since he defintely does seem to have different kinds) when he melted the rock, more acidic in compisition. I figured it was likely since he seemed to prepare for it in a different way. The other type while deadly probably effects humans from the inside which is why they don't seem to melt to death, its also a lot more painful.

I mean he defintely melted through that rock and if you can melt through a rock it would seem likely that you could melt through skin.

Correct me if I've missed your point. I was saying that while Magellan is able to melt skin (and as you said rock) it is also likely that he may not be able to melt steel, since steel is harder and has stronger bonds between it's atoms, as compared to skin or rock.

toxun
March 30, 2009, 04:57 AM
A mere acid won't make steel melt, but it will rust instead (anyone had any idea what kind of solution able to melt an iron at least?).

Yami_Yami_No_Mi_89
March 31, 2009, 09:50 PM
i think the key to win against magellan could be to not touch him... he could cover his hands and his body too with something that will not be affected or melted by the poison... or maybe someone will tell luffy magellan's weakness anyway... but this guy apparently is stronger than lucci because he's immune to direct hits....

Gecko Moria
April 01, 2009, 02:23 AM
i think the key to win against magellan could be to not touch him... he could cover his hands and his body too with something that will not be affected or melted by the poison... or maybe someone will tell luffy magellan's weakness anyway... but this guy apparently is stronger than lucci because he's immune to direct hits....

I wouldn't say he's immune to direct hits (that's more like logias) since he did get hit by Luffy's Jet Bazooka: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/534/18-19/

Yami_Yami_No_Mi_89
April 01, 2009, 12:51 PM
immune menaning the rule that if you touch him bare-handed you'll be poisoned... i think a gigant pistol could hurt him a lot but the poison will dmagae luffy

Gecko Moria
April 01, 2009, 01:55 PM
immune menaning the rule that if you touch him bare-handed you'll be poisoned... i think a gigant pistol could hurt him a lot but the poison will dmagae luffy

Err you could have made that a bit clearer :amuse Immune means being completely unaffected and insusceptible to something and Magellan was taking hits from Luffy. However, I acknowledge the fact that you become poisoned when you touch Magellan.

bittman
April 05, 2009, 06:30 PM
Hmm, with the recent introduction of the other warden who's imprisoned, I'm beginning to think Magellan won't be defeated by Luffy but instead Luffy will have to fight the other guy.

Because honestly, I still haven't heard one good idea about how to counter Magellan's poison outside of Ace's fire.

Akainu
April 06, 2009, 09:51 AM
How about Shiryuu and Magellan fighting? I'd like that better under certain circumstances than Luffy repeating his fight without really having a chance or Luffy fighting a swordsman - seriously, that's not his fight. that rather screams for Buggy being the hero of the day perhaps together with mr.1 and someone else taking on Magellan, llike... dunno... do whalesharks have a higher poison tolerance? then it should be Jimbei or one of the prisoners that got introduced with Shiryuu. I mean ... why bother mention them when they are going to rot in the eternal hell? hopefully not just for movie 10 <.<'

Akagami.Shanks
April 06, 2009, 11:03 AM
I think the answer is the use of Haki! I believe this is the arc where Luffy would learn how to use it, and Magellan will be the first victim. But seeing how Oda has done things, there might be some twists in the story!

knivez
April 06, 2009, 12:19 PM
I dont think magelan will be the bad guy in this arc. He just does his job and to me doesnt seem like a bad person.

Isto
April 09, 2009, 01:48 PM
i just had a thought

what if magellan stopping luffy from going to his kitchen in level 4 saved luffy

if magellan eats poisonous food then eating it would have caused poisoning for luffy maybe stronger when he eats the poisoned food than from skin touch / breathing

and luffy is always lucky in one piece even those things that firstly seems bad to him turns out to be in his favor after all

Phase
April 09, 2009, 02:06 PM
That seems to be the only kitchen for the entire floor, so I would assume that Magellan only eats a small portion of the food that comes out of there.

Gecko Moria
April 10, 2009, 04:53 AM
I wonder why Magellan likes eating poisonous foods? Does it boost the power of his Devil Fruit attacks? Or maybe he just likes eating it so he can get diarrhea and get off work :P

kkck
April 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
^I think it is just to show off.... I doubt just because you become a man with a power you need to eat something akin to that power. We don't see luffy eating rubber, mr 1 eating blades, croco eating sand, and so on....

Kaiser Will
April 12, 2009, 09:50 PM
^I think it is just to show off.... I doubt just because you become a man with a power you need to eat something akin to that power. We don't see luffy eating rubber, mr 1 eating blades, croco eating sand, and so on....

Magellan is a stupid guy, that's it. Just in OP a villan would be that dump. Thought he is very strong, he manage to beat Luffy in a fight, and even make him unable to do something to counter attack.

But that's not the point, what I want to say that now that Luffy overcame the poison with his own immune system and manage to heal himself from the poison, now Luffy will be immune to Magellan poison?

Tell what do you think?

Isto
April 13, 2009, 05:50 AM
i think it depends on the type of the poison

poison of black widow for example, i think it's you get bitten once then you can be cured with substance made of black widow poison (or the poison itself not sure) but if you are bitten twice you cannot be cured the second time

Phase
April 13, 2009, 10:14 AM
i think it depends on the type of the poison

poison of black widow for example, i think it's you get bitten once then you can be cured with substance made of black widow poison (or the poison itself not sure) but if you are bitten twice you cannot be cured the second time

This is true, I never thought I'd remember something from Biology class. Some people choose to live through the incredible agony instead of taking the cure for that reason. Being bitten by a black widow doesn't kill you (usually), so dealing with the incredible pain for a day(?) and not taking the cure is a sort of insurance. I'm not sure what the fate of someone who's taken the cure and been bitten a second time would be though.

Akainu
April 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
could you perhaps link to a source? because from what I read on wikipedia these venoms are hardly deadly anyway :s

Phase
April 13, 2009, 02:25 PM
could you perhaps link to a source? because from what I read on wikipedia these venoms are hardly deadly anyway :s

If I could remember the name of the video I watched 13 years ago, I'd be happy to. This is all off of memory. The venoms aren't deadly, you're right about that. It can kill someone who's already weak though, like an elderly person with a bad heart or something. The price of getting bitten by a black widow is extraordinary pain. I remember watching video of people who were bitten, every muscle in their body cramps up and spasms, it's rediculous.

Anyway, the video very clearly stated that the antidote will only work once, and it is made from black widow venom. I guess it's possible that they said the antidote is so rare that they'll only be willing to give it to you once, but I doubt it.

Kaiser Will
April 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
That's what I learn in my biology classes.

Poison of the black widow can kill someone, because as you say it attack the muscles, and the heart being a muscle you can have a heart attack.

Now about the cure, our body have same ways to defende ourselves:

1) Is when you receive the anti-bodies, from an external source, ready to attack the enemy that makes you sick. Usually horses are used to produce this antibodies, and the poison is really used in this case, the scientists inject the animal with the poison and the animal immune system produce the anti bodies, after the antibodies are extracted from the animal and used to cure persons!

2) Is when your own body make the anti-bodies and attack the enemy.

Note that when your body defense system makes the anti-bodies it kinda get stored in a memory, so when you get attacked again your system will be more efficient (an exemple of this are the vaccines that inject a half dead virus to make your body gain resistence from that specific virus).
But when you received all the anti-bodies from an antidote, if you get poisoned again you problably will have to take the antidote again.

Now about Luffy, since his own body makes the anti-bodies I think there's a probability of Luffy don't be affected by Magellan poison again.

I hope that I'm wrong, honestly, because I wanna see the haki thing being used properly!

Dice
April 14, 2009, 10:56 AM
He might be immune to some types, or at least he will have more resistance but I do hope he isn't totally immune against everything Maggelan has.

On the antidote-thing: I searched the www but coudln't find something like "you can only use it once". While Kaiser Will's explanation sounds quite good (though I got to say that if you took the antidote you are not forced to take it again next time, it will just be like your body is poisoned for the first time) I found something else.
Taking the antidote bares several risks. Allergic reaction for example. Due to those risks you only take the antidote if really needed and you should consulte your doc for this.

kkck
April 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
I wonder if brook is inherently immune to Magellans power. Technically brook doesn't have blood or organs to be damaged by the poison, so there is a posibility that he would be magellans natural enemy. On the other hand, brook has shown to be able to perform bodily functions such as eating, farting, burping.... So which one is it?

Lord Rayleigh
April 16, 2009, 01:33 PM
I wonder if brook is inherently immune to Magellans power. Technically brook doesn't have blood or organs to be damaged by the poison, so there is a posibility that he would be magellans natural enemy. On the other hand, brook has shown to be able to perform bodily functions such as eating, farting, burping.... So which one is it?

Even if it works, you cannot call him a natural enemy : this is not a natural thing he earned from his DF.
If you remember what is his DF, you will know that the state that would allow him to be immuned is linked to the fact he did not manage to find his body quickly but after many years. If he had managed, he would have his normal body and would definitely not be immuned.

So, it is not a natural immunity he got/could have got thanks to his DF.

kkck
April 17, 2009, 05:42 PM
Even if it works, you cannot call him a natural enemy : this is not a natural thing he earned from his DF.
If you remember what is his DF, you will know that the state that would allow him to be immuned is linked to the fact he did not manage to find his body quickly but after many years. If he had managed, he would have his normal body and would definitely not be immuned.

So, it is not a natural immunity he got/could have got thanks to his DF.

What difference does it make? If my theory is correct(kinda of a longshot anyways) brook would be overall immune to magellans poison due to a lack of a bloodstream and organs. Whether this immunity is not a direct effect of the fruit he ate is of no consequence whatsoever. Note that I didn't say "brooks fruit turns him into magellans natural enemy" but "brook would be magellans natural enemy".

Phase
April 17, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hmm, Magellan's poison can melt rock, so I think it can probably melt bone too.

Kaiser Will
April 17, 2009, 08:11 PM

Yeah that would be awesome if possible.
But bones do have a organic system, it's where the body produces anti-bodies, so for me he would be affected by the poison, thought in the case of Brook we don't know if he has anything inside his bones, so it's hard to say.

RichardMNixon
April 18, 2009, 01:21 AM
But bones do have a organic system, it's where the body produces anti-bodies, so for me he would be affected by the poison, thought in the case of Brook we don't know if he has anything inside his bones, so it's hard to say.

You mean the marrow? It makes blood cells, but Brook has no blood (Yohohoho!). It could be a interesting way to solve the Magellan problem.

kkck
April 18, 2009, 01:41 AM
Hmm, Magellan's poison can melt rock, so I think it can probably melt bone too.

Those are reasons why I said it was kinda of a long shot. The problem with brook is that how his body works is something extremely ambiguous and changes for the sake of comedy. We know brook can poop, burp, fart, eat despite the fact that he does not have organs that would allow him such a thing. We know brook can heal by drinking milk, which makes no sense whatsoever. We know brook is capable of reasoning despite the fact that he does not have a brain and his head is literally hollow. Hell, brooks nose was shown bleeding when he was told mermaids didn't have panties.... If we assume brook can function 100% normally, then he is certainly vulnerable to magellas poison, on the other hand if we assume he works as the sack of bones he is, he should have resistance against at least non-corrosive poisons. I hope brook is someday poisoned to see what happens....

beastboy
April 18, 2009, 11:03 AM
well, if brooke vs megellan = kulillin vs bacteria, example, megellan used that lacrimogenic(??? How do I say it in english, the one that cause tears) gas on brooke:
brooke: I can't see, is affecting my eyes! But I don't have eyes yohohohoho!

Megellan is at special vice admiral strengs, almost as strong as garp!

Kaiser Will
April 18, 2009, 12:15 PM
You mean the marrow? It makes blood cells, but Brook has no blood (Yohohoho!). It could be a interesting way to solve the Magellan problem.

Yeah, the marrow produces the blood cells and the anti-bodies.
I know that he didn't have blood but he does make poo and fart, eat and drink and stuff like that, so we don't know if he could be affected by Magellan poison.
If he has that kinda stuff he definatelly will be poisoned.

Truefan21
November 24, 2009, 12:48 AM
maybe magellan will appear at marineford

bittman
November 24, 2009, 06:29 AM
Random thought, but I must say it was actually something I pondered much earlier on. Like what if the gates were opened because Magellan was on the chase, but on the other hand he had a lot of cleaning up to do in house with Shiryuu on the loose (and Blackbeard, though he may not be aware of that).

It would still be unbelievably epic of Magellan appeared, however I doubt we'll ever see him again outside of a quick one shot back to Impel Down and a cover story (I'd almost bet a house on the fact that Impel Down wardens will get a cover story. Hannybel, Magellan, Sadi-chan, Demon Guards and Domino were far too good a collection of characters to leave to a small arc).

ScratchmenApoo
November 24, 2009, 08:50 AM
Random thought, but I must say it was actually something I pondered much earlier on. Like what if the gates were opened because Magellan was on the chase

If Magellan was on the chase, then he would most likely want to keep the gates closed, don't you think ? Or maybe I just misinterpreted you ?

Right now, I also agree that Magellan is fighting Blackbeard and co.

chess4
November 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
i think magellan will gather his forces at impel down and sail to the new world. with impel down's reputation ruined and it destoyed, he will seek his revenge

Diablos
November 24, 2009, 01:37 PM
Magellan is like a really though bastard dont forget he made everyone run from him in Impel Down... Even Jinbei, Ivankov, Croco.. They didnt wait to face him they were on their boots... Yes they were in hurry but even so I dont think they'd have the balls to face him XD... He even made BB almost perish without bothering much, just an hydra and done.. lol if that's not badas* tell me what it is ;P

I think he just aint in admiral level because they are logias and he's not, even so I'd put him in top ranks of shishi top top..

ScratchmenApoo
November 24, 2009, 03:53 PM
It doesn't matter that he's not a logia. I think poison man is the most powerful paramecia of all. If he attacks you, you are done for, no doubt. If you attack him, close combat, then you are done for too. If he wasn't a warden, he would be a vice-captain, but most likely he doesn't want to be one.
But I also think that Magellan and Luffy will have a rematch some day, this seems to be unfinished business. Whether he appears in Marinford and it happens now or some time later in the New World, is something hard to predict.

NoLimit89
March 19, 2010, 03:39 PM
Where does it say that he's a paramecia?

I just watched episode 436 again and Luffy's attack seemed to pass through him.

Could he be a logia?

kkck
March 19, 2010, 05:24 PM
Where does it say that he's a paramecia?

I just watched episode 436 again and Luffy's attack seemed to pass through him.

Could he be a logia?

He is a paramecia, things have never once passed through him. He also has never converted his actual body to poison. Luffy was even shown physically hitting him several times. There is nothing logia about magellan lol. I don't watch the anime but in the manga luffy never did anything close to phasing through him. Magellan is as much as a logia as luffy (surprisingly people still argue he is a logia though).

Uriel
March 20, 2010, 12:02 AM
It's just an overpowered Paramecia. Kinda like Whitebeard.

Gcat88
March 20, 2010, 09:04 PM
Luffy did punch Magellan and it didnt go throw him but rather look like a real punch!! So i think that unless we got an official calling on it we wont know, but i lean towards Paramecia.

Fox666
March 21, 2010, 12:58 AM
Well, I understand the question, he does looks like an Logia in the anime.

The way the animators did it is very strange, since the according to the manga he is supposed to be just a Paramecia.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1326/mag1n.th.png (http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/1326/mag1n.png) http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9125/mag2h.th.png (http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/9125/mag2h.png) http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4981/mag3.th.png (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/4981/mag3.png)

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8103/mag4.th.png (http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/8103/mag4.png) http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2866/mag5.th.png (http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2866/mag5.png)

Poneglyph420
March 21, 2010, 12:59 AM
Luffy's attacks penetrated Magellan's poison I think, he's a Paramecia for sure.

But now he's gonna be lucky if he still has his job..
But He Prob. will, I mean he is scary strong...

BetaRuler
March 22, 2010, 04:42 AM
He looks quite paramecia to me.

I'd say he's almost Admiral level as well.
Its a shame I can't see any chance of him leaving Impel Down either, as much as I'd like to see more of him and Saldeath.

Bugzee
March 22, 2010, 02:13 PM
Magellan possesses one of the best and most deadliest df abilities in the OP world. I like his character traits, tbh I can't imagine a better person to be head of Impel Down lol. :amuse I wonder who the head of ID was before Magellan..? :blink

Anyway, that "Venom Demon: Hell's Judgment (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v56/c547/4.html)" attack fricking owns! :shakefist I love the look of it. :D I can't wait to see that in the anime! :nuts At first I thought he had a logia ability too but it makes more sense that his a paramecia. Logia poison ability would've been a bit overkill lol to say the least.

Lord Rayleigh
March 22, 2010, 04:10 PM
We don't know if Magellan is a paramecia or a logia. I have to say that the fact that Luffy managed to punch Magellan and his fists did not go through him does not mean the warden is a paramecia : he could be a solid poisonman - as Ao Kiji is a solid iceman - while his poison attacks can be gaseous and liquid.

And it's right that what has done the anime is very confusing. When I watched the episodes you guys are talking about, I was sure he was a paramecia and yet I could not understand what happened with his DF, which was suggesting he was a logia.
There is also the moment when Luffy talked about his poison cloud, and Magellan answered that it was not a simple poison gas but actually a living thing and a part of him - I don't know if it's only in the anime or not. Anyway, it's a characteristic peculiar to the logias

In the manga itself, at this page (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v56/c547/4.html) his legs clearly disappeared, as if he turned a part of his body into poison to produce his Hell's Judgement. Not to say that he needed to make some movements to make the monster move in the same way.
There is also the time when Magellan tooks several cannonballs at the same time at full shot and did not get injured at all. Oda did not let us see what truly happened in this moment because Magellan was hidden by the explosions around him.

A simple question, have we ever seen Magellan blooding ?

Franckie
March 22, 2010, 04:47 PM

http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/534/18-19/
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/535/04/

Luffy drew blood and had Magellan feeling some pain. Had Magellan been a Logia, Luffy's attacks wouldn't have caused any damage. In conclusion, the Doku-Doku no Mi is a Paramecia-type Devil Fruit.

Fox666
March 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
On that image you posted, I can see both Magellan's legs. He is moving, and has tiny legs, but if you looks closely, you can see his shoe behind his butt.

Magellan bleed from Ivankov fight, but it was not shown at all. I don't remember exactly if Luffy made Magellan bleed, but he surely hit him bad.

Although it should be noted that when his hydra ended in the flames, it disappear. So I guess Luffy using Gear second would injure Magellan even if he was a Logia...

Dice
March 22, 2010, 05:02 PM
We don't know if Magellan is a paramecia or a logia. I have to say that the fact that Luffy managed to punch Magellan and his fists did not go through him does not mean the warden is a paramecia : he could be a solid poisonman - as Ao Kiji is a solid iceman - while his poison attacks can be gaseous and liquid.

I think Aokiji's case is a little bit different since ice is always solid. While I understand that you mean he might be a solid type of poison he never used a solid type. Though there is still a chance that he might be a solid logia type I think it's unlikely.

But I agree with you that attacks not passing through somebody is by no means an argument against logia since there at least two examples.

Zehahaha
March 22, 2010, 05:06 PM

Here it is : http://media.onemanga.com/mangas/00000002/000188722/13.jpg
After Ivankov's Newkama Kenpo attack

Crap, Franckie got me here :p

kkck
March 22, 2010, 07:08 PM

And it's right that what has done the anime is very confusing. When I watched the episodes you guys are talking about, I was sure he was a paramecia and yet I could not understand what happened with his DF, which was suggesting he was a logia.
There is also the moment when Luffy talked about his poison cloud, and Magellan answered that it was not a simple poison gas but actually a living thing and a part of him - I don't know if it's only in the anime or not. Anyway, it's a characteristic peculiar to the logias

In the manga itself, at this page (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v56/c547/4.html) his legs clearly disappeared, as if he turned a part of his body into poison to produce his Hell's Judgement. Not to say that he needed to make some movements to make the monster move in the same way.
There is also the time when Magellan tooks several cannonballs at the same time at full shot and did not get injured at all. Oda did not let us see what truly happened in this moment because Magellan was hidden by the explosions around him.

Aokiji does break down to ice when punched though. Magellan has never shown any form of intangibility nor he has even imply he has such a thing. He is about as much of a logia as Mr 3 IMHO (who is more than obviously a paramecia). If magellan was really a logia then every scene in which we saw him being hit in some way would have been impossible, he would have just either break down or dissolved and not take the hit.

Poneglyph420
March 22, 2010, 07:37 PM
Doesn't Magellan use Venom road to travel through his poison...
It's like a poison slide right.?
If he's logia wouldn't he just become poison and travel that way??

I'm so confused...

Zatono
March 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
I'm not really sure what Venom Road was exactly. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/545/13/

To me, it looked like he hardened his poison in order to crash through that wall of stone, and just called it Venom Road...since he basically made a road of poison doing it. It's hard to say though.

Lord Rayleigh
March 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
On that image you posted, I can see both Magellan's legs. He is moving, and has tiny legs, but if you looks closely, you can see his shoe behind his butt.
I've looked closely and we still can't see his two legs nor his two shoes.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3545/lrmagellan.jpg

I think it's very likely Magellan is a paramecia with the ability to turn a part of him into poison and to produce poison. That would explain some strange things of his DF.
It means he can still be injured.

Don't worry, I do not create a new kind of paramecia. Actually, there's been one character in the whole manga that has been confirmed to have this kind of ability and this person was present in the MHQ war.
http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/558/07/
Colonel Hina can produce steal rings and to turn into steal rings.

PS : in the anime the captain of the largo pirate could produce nets and also turn his body into nets.

kkck
March 23, 2010, 03:54 PM
I would assume the reason we can't see magellans legs in that image is that their are immersed in poison and poison is hardly transparent. His body never liquidizes or gasifies into poison.

I never really understood why there is so much confusion regarding logias... I mean, there are two requirements. One is to be able to generate a lot of your element and the other is to be able to turn into said element to get intangibility. I don't see why the confusion with such simple rules at this point (I remember people thought luffy was a logia even though he lacked a shred of intangibility)

Fox666
March 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
I've looked closely and we still can't see his two legs nor his two shoes.
http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3545/lrmagellan.jpgHere:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9341/magbv.png

Uriel
March 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
I hope this gets in the next databook or the next SBS. :S

kkck
March 23, 2010, 11:39 PM
Here:

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9341/magbv.png

I still think his legs are there covered by poison. Thing is, his poison is hardly transparent.

LnDRash
April 26, 2010, 04:38 AM
Somehow just remembered this Beastman guy from the original He-Man Cartoon Series...

I think the symmetry is quite impressive.

http://www.ddsite.com/heman_beastman.htm

There's also this snake guy which reminds me of Hannyabal:

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/_img/chars/char_6018.jpg

Removed image tags, please don't hotlink

Bugzee
May 03, 2010, 12:38 PM
I so want to see how “the f**k’d up Magellan” looks like LOL! He must of got one hell of a beating from the escaped prisoners. Imagine how many of them were dying to get a chance to inflict some kind of pain and torture on Magellan himself!?

It kinda sucked that we didn’t get to see a few panels showing the current state of Impel Down after BB & co left.

Ashura_Ichibugin
May 03, 2010, 04:29 PM
I'm not really sure what Venom Road was exactly. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/545/13/

To me, it looked like he hardened his poison in order to crash through that wall of stone, and just called it Venom Road...since he basically made a road of poison doing it. It's hard to say though.

No, it is a form of travel. He produces something like hydra and moves forward in it. Look here: http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/534/13/

Doesn't Magellan use Venom road to travel through his poison...
It's like a poison slide right.?
If he's logia wouldn't he just become poison and travel that way??

I'm so confused...

It is the strongest evidence of him being paramecia together with his lack of intangibility in spite of his venom being liquid and gas.

chess4
May 03, 2010, 04:40 PM
i hope magellan becomes a VA.

undertoe
May 03, 2010, 06:38 PM
How is this even a question? He is a Paramecia. Poison is not elemental.

zerocooldx
May 03, 2010, 07:03 PM
All i have to say is that its a shame that Magellan is a prison warden, meaning that he really won't step away from ID unless specifically ordered to. Which means that we probably won't see him much from now on, and that sucks because hes got an insanely cool and powerful DF.

chess4
May 03, 2010, 07:20 PM
All i have to say is that its a shame that Magellan is a prison warden, meaning that he really won't step away from ID unless specifically ordered to. Which means that we probably won't see him much from now on, and that sucks because hes got an insanely cool and powerful DF.

i hope he gets relieved of his duty and gets special pemission to go after the level 6 prisoners. i think(well more like hoping) he becomes a normal a rear admiral or vice admiral. he is strong and it would be a waste to leave him out of the story from here on out.

the marines have lost a lot of man power, so i think they will need magellan

frontaLobotomy
May 04, 2010, 05:50 AM
If Magellan were to leave Impel Down, Luffy would be in serious trouble. One drop of that poison and it's gg for him. Given his serious demeanour, and his apparent desire to take full responsibility for the events at the prison, there is a chance he could be assigned to dealing with the escaped convicts from Level 6, specifically Shiryuu. I would say the best place for him is warden of the prison though, once it has been rebuilt, and has some actual prisoners in it, as his DF power is god mode in that place.
I do hope we'll get to see some sort of action regarding the battle between Magellan, and presumably Teach and the other Blackbeard Pirates. As he won't have gone down without a fight. Though I think we'll be left imagining what it was like, in the same way we'll never get to see the fight between Roger and Whitebeard.

kkck
May 04, 2010, 11:18 AM
Magellan can't leave the prison though, there would be no one who could replace him. Magellan is way to power and is basically the force that keeps ID in check. Without him, even a minor incident could escalate in a matter of minutes.

ScratchmenApoo
May 04, 2010, 12:57 PM
But there ISN'T a prison left any more. Everyone escaped. Most of the gaolers/guards got beaten or killed. Both Magellan and Hannyabal got destroyed. Most of Impel Down's interior got ripped up as well. Impel Down is over, it's not gonna come back to the current storyline as a prison, maybe only in a few panels.
But I do agree with Magellan wanting to hunt down Luffy. Right now in the anime his sheer willpower to stop Luffy is resonated more than in manga. Then again, Luffy needs to beat him.
It's like with Crocodile, 1st battle Luffy got defeated very easily but survived (same as the fight with Magellan). 2nd battle Luffy learned how to damage him (in case of Magellan, it was Mr 3.'s wax). 3rd battle Luffy kicked the crap out of Crocodile and I think the next time he meets Magellan, Luffy probably won't have wax to help him out, but something else to bring the poison-guy down.

bittman
May 04, 2010, 06:03 PM
But there ISN'T a prison left any more. Everyone escaped. Most of the gaolers/guards got beaten or killed. Both Magellan and Hannyabal got destroyed. Most of Impel Down's interior got ripped up as well. Impel Down is over, it's not gonna come back to the current storyline as a prison, maybe only in a few panels.

Uhh? At most, what, 200-300 or so prisoners escaped? Pretty sure they've got thousands going on there. Hardly "everyone" escaped.

Ok, tonnes of marines got beaten or killed at Marineford. Should Sengoku just go "gg" and pack up the entire marine headquarters? Besides, Magellans current state has only been shown in text, for all we know he just had enormous cramps from all the battling and was well overdue for a bathroom break.

Most of the interior ripped up: hardly. The Sphinx destroyed a bit, level 6 probably got trashed a bit, Inazume ruined one set of stairs and Iva ripped the door off it's hinges. The damage to ID's physical structure pales in comparison to the damage done to Marineford or Enies Lobby.

Of course it will come back in the current storyline as a prison. If the marines closed this prison down they might as well just free every pirate everywhere and shut up shop. Impel Down is still a very functioning prison that just got hit badly by some unfortunate events, it will recover and will be seen again. That said, most likely we'll get most of Impel Down's recovery in a cover story arc.

And I think Magellan should be staying in ID. I mean, if ID shuts up and Magellan becomes all marine vice-admiral or something, then One Piece just took an enormously dark turn of tone because we're basically saying that the marines only want to kill people now rather than capture them.

Zatono
May 04, 2010, 06:16 PM

I agree that he's paramecia, but it's not because poison isn't elemental. Light and Darkness aren't elemental, are they? Even Magma really isn't elemental, since magma is composed of more then fire <.<

kkck
May 04, 2010, 08:35 PM
People just do not get logia have to be intangible by turning their body into their element. Seriously, there are still morons out there who think luffy is a logia even though oda made it clear luffy is a paramecia.

undertoe
May 04, 2010, 08:52 PM
Magma is elemental, and it's not composed of any fire. Everything hot is not fire. It's molten rock from within the earth. How is that not elemental?

ScratchmenApoo
May 05, 2010, 04:40 AM
Excuse me, but this is a Magellan discussion thread, not for elements.

Buggy and Mr. 3 released most if not all prisoners all from level 4 and up. Most of them got killed by Magellan's poison which is very hard to escape from.
IMO the only prisoners who actually survived were the ones on level 5 and 6 and the ones that escaped from Impel Down. But now it turns out that even the level 6 prisoners got killed/escaped.

Impel Down isn't the only place to keep prisoners in, there are other places as well. Most pirates aren't even that dangerous to need an underwater prison and a guy who lubricates poison to keep them imprisoned.

Luffy is/was a strong fighter and even with wax he couldn't damage Magellan at all. So if Magellan is now in a critical condition, whoever did that to him, is an extremely strong opponent. Having them escape from Impel Down is too much of a disgrace (the WG didn't report their escape) and I believe news of Impel Down's "incident" won't get to the wide world at all. The place will be forgotten.
Magellan is not a marine, he is the head gaoler, and has the permission to punish the prisoners as he sees fit. So killing is not a big deal to him. I want him to go out there and chase after Luffy, but with his diarrhea, I now see it's kind of impossible.

BetaRuler
May 05, 2010, 01:08 PM
I wish Magellan hadn't been beat up, especially not off panel, I kind of like the dangerous tough guys like that, especially if they never get beat up because then the readers always have the "what ifs" in mind...

The ANIME is hugely misleading about Magellans fruit powers, it totally looks like a Logia yet I thought for sure it was Paramecia too, I think people seriously need to send Oda a letter asking if it's Para or Logia, SBS corner yo!

kkck
May 05, 2010, 02:07 PM
Wonder how the level 6 prisoners escaped from ID. I mean, there were no ships around ID and they no longer had jimbei to help them. Perhaps they had abilities which helped.

Bugzee
May 05, 2010, 04:51 PM
Wonder how the level 6 prisoners escaped from ID. I mean, there were no ships around ID and they no longer had jimbei to help them. Perhaps they had abilities which helped.

Good question, I guess some of the prisoners may have possessed the right abilities to aid them escape away from ID. Magellan did call the marines (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/one_piece/v56/c548/4.html) to send another vessel to ID so maybe the level 6 prisoners took advantage of that?

chess4
May 13, 2010, 04:25 PM
magellan is finished as the impel down manager. he will become an officer. magellan is one of the strongest people in the marines. im sure we will not get much more story from impel down especially after the strawhats reach the NW. magellan is 2 good a character to go to waist

Sannom
August 19, 2010, 05:34 PM
I wish Magellan hadn't been beat up, especially not off panel, I kind of like the dangerous tough guys like that, especially if they never get beat up because then the readers always have the "what ifs" in mind...

The ANIME is hugely misleading about Magellans fruit powers, it totally looks like a Logia yet I thought for sure it was Paramecia too, I think people seriously need to send Oda a letter asking if it's Para or Logia, SBS corner yo!

Still wonder how he got beat up, but with six opponents worthy of Level 6 plus four others at least worthy of Level 4, plus one of them who actually knew him well (Shyriuu) and wasn't the kind to underestimate him, it suddenly doesn't come off as such a shock. Really, Magellan made two stupid mistakes in that whole affair : freeing Shyriuu and deciding to hunt the prisoners from bottom to top instead of going from the top and push them in the bottom of the prison.

undertoe
August 19, 2010, 07:19 PM
magellan is finished as the impel down manager. he will become an officer. magellan is one of the strongest people in the marines. im sure we will not get much more story from impel down especially after the strawhats reach the NW. magellan is 2 good a character to go to waist

Magellan isn't in the Marines, genius. Impel Down has no association with the Marines other than both being a part of the World Government.

Zmsp
August 19, 2010, 07:22 PM
Well,I can understand where you're coming from,but if he had gone to the first floor and hunt the prisoners from there, the strenght of the group he'd face would be a lot bigger, going from bottom to the top he didn't allow the prisoners to free many convicts from the most dangerous levels, because they were to worried to escape from him,if he waited for them in the upper levels,he'd have to face a much bigger army,with tons of prisoners with higher bounties, chasing them from the bottom all the way to the top was a smart decision, considering he told the ships to leave the place, he just got unlucky because of jinbei,but that was one hell of an escape,nobody saw that coming..

Bowser
August 19, 2010, 07:31 PM
Surely he can be moved to the Marines though? I don't see it happening but still...I mean Sengoku kinda had authority over Impel Down in a way so clearly the Marines has some influence over ID.

I think Magellan might go on a hunting spree :S...