PDA

View Full Version : Character Remaining Middle Schoolers

KuwabaraTheMan
April 04, 2009, 12:50 PM
We know there are 50 Middle schoolers who were invited and showed up.

9 Seigaku regulars
6 from Shitenhouji
Tachibana, Kamio, and Shinji from Fudoumine
Sengoku and Akutsu from Yamabuki
All 8 from Hyoutei
Kurobane and Amane from Rokkaku
Al 8 from Rikkai
Kite, Tanishi, Hirakoba and Kai from Higa
Liliaden from Nagoya Seitoku

That makes 43. Mizuki was shown on the cover to Chapter 2, so that should be 44. If so, that leaves 6 more spots open (and we know it can't be any of the other 3 from Shitenhouji, since they were specifically said to not be invited)

My guesses: Akazawa, Yuuta, Minami, Higashitaka, Saeki, Ishida Tetsu

Fayte
April 04, 2009, 02:19 PM
Zaizen plskthx.

KuwabaraTheMan
April 04, 2009, 02:55 PM
Zaizen plskthx.

Can't be Zaizen. Konjiki said in Chapter 1 that Zaizen, Hitouji, and Koishikawa weren't invited.

Sai_the_Shaman
April 04, 2009, 04:17 PM
I think Yuuta and Tetsu are probably there, maybe that main guy from Midoriyama. The black guy from St. Icarus? There's also the possibility of new characters like someone from Jousei Shounan which was still a school in the manga, but never showed any characters. Maybe that captain from Ginka lol.

KuwabaraTheMan
April 04, 2009, 04:23 PM
Hm, I forgot about Richard from Saint Icarus. He gave Sengoku a good match, so it's possible. Kisaraku is also possible since he was there with Ryoma's other rivals near the end of the original series.

Ginka captain showing up would certainly be lol-worthy.

bax
April 04, 2009, 04:24 PM
I'd opt for a couple of new characters though.

But then, with so many current characters, it's kinda hard to ask for that. We still haven't see the 20 who went to Korea. And we have around 150 of them atm (if the ones without a ball go home just like that).

alexlw92
April 04, 2009, 04:34 PM
new characters = high schoolers.

i think if richard was there, he would kinda stand out. being the only black guy there... (jackals brazilian, if i remember right...)

wheres kentarou? from rokkaku. their "freshman captain".

KuwabaraTheMan
April 04, 2009, 04:39 PM
Wait, I think we're all forgetting about Kuki Kiichi, the Captain of Kakkinoki. He has to be among the ones invited. No way such a great player could have been left out.

Sherlock Holmes
April 04, 2009, 07:48 PM
WHY WHY WHY WHY ISN'T ZAIZEN THERE? JUST, WHY?
(plotwise is because he didn't get a chance to show his skills, but OH C'MON! WE CAN ACCEPT THAT A MAN IS CAPABLE OF KILLING SOMEONE IN A TENNIS MATCH, WE WOULDN'T CARE IF HE JUST APPEARED OUT OF NOWHERE!)

Ravsieg
April 05, 2009, 11:07 AM
We want some Yuujiro Kai, damnit! I haven't seen him.

KuwabaraTheMan
April 05, 2009, 11:14 AM
We want some Yuujiro Kai, damnit! I haven't seen him.

He was seen briefly in Chapter 3. I didn't notice him until my second time through the chapter, though.

Ravsieg
April 05, 2009, 04:36 PM
He was seen briefly in Chapter 3. I didn't notice him until my second time through the chapter, though.

Same here. I had posted after the first. He's on the background of a little square. Still... from your list, I think Amane is the only one I haven't seen.

If Tetsu Ishida was to be in, I guess he'd be on that Chapter 3 intro pic with Tachibana, Kamio and Ibu.

My first bets for this would be Saeki, Chinen, Ryo Kisarazu and Aoi.

Just remembered, has anyone seen Kabaji?

KuwabaraTheMan
April 05, 2009, 04:51 PM
Same here. I had posted after the first. He's on the background of a little square. Still... from your list, I think Amane is the only one I haven't seen.

If Tetsu Ishida was to be in, I guess he'd be on that Chapter 3 intro pic with Tachibana, Kamio and Ibu.

My first bets for this would be Saeki, Chinen, Ryo Kisarazu and Aoi.

Just remembered, has anyone seen Kabaji?

Amane is here: http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/1/49/

I just checked and I couldn't find Kabaji. If he's not there, I guess that's 7 spots open. Although I had thought that I saw him before. I think he's definitely deserving of a spot.

I really can't see Chinen being here, and Ryo never actually did anything.

Ravsieg
April 05, 2009, 05:18 PM
Oh yeah, I didn't recognize Amane and his extra-long wooden racquet there. Seriously, shame on me.

But indeed, it's likely the other spots will be from teams that weren't very visible.

Main questions are, wasn't Kawamura going to retire after proving that he was Japan's #1power middleschooler? And didn't Akutsu retire aswell? Or was it something on Koshimae's awakening process that mellowed him up?

Anyways, I'm hella surprised Krauser is a 1st year aswell.

lasenorita
April 07, 2009, 02:34 AM
I looked as well, but couldn't spot Kabaji. He's in Fanbook 0.5 (http://pics.livejournal.com/makaioh/pic/004r293t/g125), though. So is Yuuta, Ishida, Chinen, the Kisarazu twins, and Richard. If I'm not mistaken, also Miyase Tomonori from Murigaoka. And — yes! — it looks like even the captain of Ginka. :blink:p

Regarding Akutsu, he could have been invited simply because of his great athletic skills. I wonder if it's a requirement to actually be a member of the school's tennis club in order to be able to participate in the U-17s? He might have been bored and accepted simply because he wanted some fun/cause trouble/see Echizen/make friends(?).

And since Kawamura is still in middle school, he has time left to dedicate to tennis. It'd be a shame if "Japan's #1 power middleschooler" wasn't invited. More importantly, he's from Seigaku.

ETA: Wait...wha? Liliadent is a first year? FET (http://fet.fudomine.org/index.php?krauser) has him listed in his third year, and even the mini-fanbook has him listed as 3年.

Ravsieg
April 07, 2009, 08:33 AM
Haginosuke Taki is also on that pic you showed!

As for Krauser being a 1st Year, it says so on the scanlation where he pinned the highschooler to the fence like he did to Akaya. Who knows where it's right? :S

Sai_the_Shaman
April 07, 2009, 05:08 PM
well the raw for shin tenipuri 3 said 1st year, its either that konomi decided to change it or it's a typo on the editor's part

Ravsieg
April 07, 2009, 08:27 PM
If it was a typo, I guess we'll get to know about it soon.

However, what is he doing on a camp for JAPANESE players?

KuwabaraTheMan
April 07, 2009, 09:55 PM
If it was a typo, I guess we'll get to know about it soon.

However, what is he doing on a camp for JAPANESE players?

He's a Japanese student. He might not be Japanese, but isn't Jackal Brazilian?

lasenorita
April 08, 2009, 11:37 PM
He's a Japanese student. He might not be Japanese, but isn't Jackal Brazilian?

Liliadent is listed as a foreign exchange student. Both of them could hold dual citizenship, though. That could also explain why there aren't more students from Nagoya Seitoku.

And Ryoma is Japanese-American, isn't he? I thought that he was born in the US... Though it's strange that the U.S. U17 didn't try to recruit him with him being a four-time American junior champion and all. Maybe it has something to do with him going to school in Japan, but he did return to the US... /rambles on like Shinji XD;;

Ravsieg
April 09, 2009, 11:18 AM
Both Jackal and Ryoma have dual citizenship, but as for Krauser nothing's been talked about yet. That's why he's probably surprise everyone by speaking Japanese and saying something along the lines of, my grandma's aunt was Japanese.
[hr]
http://www.onemanga.com/New_Prince_of_Tennis/3/05/

On the top square, where Hirakoba hits his Habu, the Hyotei guy next to Oshitari is sooo Taki. The bending-over-the-rail pose gives it all away.

Sai_the_Shaman
April 09, 2009, 03:41 PM
The thing about Krauser that I noticed they changed (forgot to mention it in my TL Notes) was that his last name isn't in Katakana only anymore. Meaning it's not a foreign word. They actually put his last name all in Kanji. So I'll leave it up to you guys to determine if that means a haffa now lol. If thats the case what do you guys think? Should we be using the same old Krauser or Kurauza (蔵兎座).....on second thought....I'll open up a poll....
[hr]
Crap I just noticed some thing else....they added a to to his name....so it's also Liliadent Kurauza now >.> wtf Konomi.....

lasenorita
April 09, 2009, 05:49 PM
they added a to to his name....so it's also Liliadent Kurauza now >.>

It's always been リリアデント*, I think. Krauser is smoother than Kurauza, and most everyone recognizes him by that name, so I like it better. The reaction to his name in Kanji on Japanese blogs is pretty funny. Basically a lot of "えええ!?"s.

Hmm... Since that person has a (kinda) different last name and is in a different year — I wonder if it's even the same Liliadent Krauser we're all talking about? *lol*

*Edits all posts and adds the overlooked "t". ^^;;

Sai_the_Shaman
April 09, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hmmm did it always have the t? heh >.> you know I think I might have skipped the t originally after talking with the german mods about it but I cant remember.....

either way it's not a german name from their consensus lol

KuwabaraTheMan
April 09, 2009, 06:28 PM
Hmmm did it always have the t? heh >.> you know I think I might have skipped the t originally after talking with the german mods about it but I cant remember.....

either way it's not a german name from their consensus lol

Maybe his parents are hippies and came up with a random name for him. Heh.

Ravsieg
April 09, 2009, 06:57 PM
Where, there's Wolfgang Krauser (the King of Fighters character) who's supposed to be German..

http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/c/rbffswol.htm

Sai_the_Shaman
April 09, 2009, 07:22 PM
lol krauser is german, liliaden isnt lol

Ravsieg
April 10, 2009, 11:58 AM
Edited the link.

Indeed, Liliadent isn't quite German. xD Does Konomi even know what he's doing?

Fayte
April 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
What if he is from America? Do you realize how many ridiculous names there are in America? He might as well name some kid Anthony Amir Chang.

Ravsieg
April 10, 2009, 03:29 PM
The upside is that the US are such a mix of various ethnicities that there's nearly no strange name that wouldn't fit.

kobashi
April 25, 2009, 05:50 AM
If you look at chapter 3 page 11 and 17, you can see Chinen on there.

Fayte
April 25, 2009, 09:00 AM
What is Chinen?

KuwabaraTheMan
April 25, 2009, 12:49 PM
What is Chinen?

Chinen Hiroshi. He was the Higa doubles player who played with Hirakoba in their match against Fuji and Kawamura.

Bizarrely, he barely showed up at all during the actual match, since so much of it was focused on the Habu.

That does look like him on Page 11, but it's hard to tell. I don't see him anywhere on Page 17, though.

lasenorita
April 25, 2009, 03:44 PM
Chinen Hiroshi.

He's the scary looking dude who looks like this (http://fet.fudomine.org/index.php?chinen). He appears in the topmost right panel of this page (http://pics.livejournal.com/makaioh/pic/004r293t/g125). And it does look like him in page 11 (http://img-gg-01.onemanga.com/mangas/00003362/000158672/11.jpg) — I can't think of another player aside from Akutsu who has that long(?) a face.

Fayte
April 25, 2009, 04:19 PM
Nobody cares about that failure.

Atobe the king
April 26, 2009, 03:58 PM
Nobody cares about that failure.

Obviously Konomi does

Fayte
April 26, 2009, 08:47 PM
Obviously Konomi does

So obvious that it isn't Chinen in the background, and saying it is would be beyond a stretch. It is probably some randy that Konomi drew for a background character.

Atobe the king
April 26, 2009, 09:53 PM
So obvious that it isn't Chinen in the background, and saying it is would be beyond a stretch. It is probably some randy that Konomi drew for a background character.

But he appears to be wearing Higa's jersey....

Dansan1
April 27, 2009, 10:02 AM
Kobashi was mistaken it's page 16 and you can see him.

Fayte
April 27, 2009, 11:17 AM
Kobashi was mistaken it's page 16 and you can see him.

That is a bit more believable.

kobashi
May 01, 2009, 05:54 AM
According to spoilers, Yuuta, Mizuki, Richard and Kadowaki are also at the camp.

Fayte
May 01, 2009, 11:03 AM
Kadowaki? ROFL

Looking forward to seeing more of his "Super tennis"

KuwabaraTheMan
May 01, 2009, 11:05 AM
I can't believe Kadowaki of all people got invited. I mean, at least Richard had a distinctive look to him. Kadowaki's got nothing.

I'm glad that Yuuta is back for sure.

Ravsieg
June 12, 2009, 09:31 PM
By the way.. I'm surprised at how I didn't notice that was Chinen when I first checked those pages.

Atobe the king
June 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
He's freaking disturbing..how could you miss him lol

Ravsieg
June 13, 2009, 09:04 AM
Indeed, I'm shocked too. XD

Well, he's going the be the first one on the axe list though. Oh wow, he can run to the net in a microssecond. What else?

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 11:39 AM
Who were Kadowaki and Richards? I complete forget them.
And if have entered completly bad players like Gakutoh, Chinen or Sakata??!!, I don´t know why the "National rank" level pair of Yamabuki or Zaizen aren´t here

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 11:45 AM
Kadowaki is the big ugly guy from the nationals draw meeting who said he would crush tezuka with his super tennis but was told he wouldn't even last 15 minutes by Atobe, He was promptly crushed by Tachibana.

Richard is the black guy with glasses who tried to trip Tezuka at the nationals draw meeting, but Tezuka avoided it. He is beaten by Sengoku.

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 11:48 AM
Kadowaki is the big ugly guy from the nationals draw meeting who said he would crush tezuka with his super tennis but was told he wouldn't even last 15 minutes by Atobe, He was promptly crushed by Tachibana.

Richard is the black guy with glasses who tried to trip Tezuka at the nationals draw meeting, but Tezuka avoided it. He is beaten by Sengoku.

Kadowaki was the one who lost against Ibu?

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 11:50 AM
Crap it was Shinji wasn't it...he beat him 6-1

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
Crap it was Shinji wasn't it...he beat him 6-1
And what is this guy doing in the Nationals?

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 11:55 AM
Um..his team made it there? i don't understand what kind of question that is...

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 12:00 PM
Um..his team made it there? i don't understand what kind of question that is...
Sorry, the question should have been "And what the f*** is this guy doing in the U-17 court?

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 12:05 PM
I see, well he's still i national level player lol, just not Hax like Hyotei, shitenhouji,Rikkai and Seishun

javimgol
June 16, 2009, 12:17 PM
I see, well he's still i national level player lol, just not Hax like Hyotei, shitenhouji,Rikkai and Seishun
Someone who lost 6-1(!!) against Ibu, a good player but that lost against Muromachi (the panda guy of Yamabuki), it's unbeliveable that is a National player.
And who is his rival in the U-17 matches?

Atobe the king
June 16, 2009, 12:23 PM
Someone who lost 6-1(!!) against Ibu, a good player but that lost against Muromachi (the panda guy of Yamabuki), it's unbeliveable that is a National player.
And who is his rival in the U-17 matches?

Well when Fudomine lost to Yamabuki they were in a car accident prior remember? also i think this guy is playing Tachibana

JyAZ
June 16, 2009, 05:08 PM
Well when Fudomine lost to Yamabuki they were in a car accident prior remember? also i think this guy is playing Tachibana

I lol'd because I just recently rewatched this episode and laughed that they got in a car accident because the taxi driver tried to dodge a cat or something.

Fayte
June 22, 2009, 12:36 PM
Akutsu and Sengoku made Yamabuki all that it was. Without them, their team is absolutely worthless.

Sherlock Holmes
June 22, 2009, 03:45 PM
Akutsu and Sengoku made Yamabuki all that it was. Without them, their team is absolutely worthless.

What about the doubles team that beat effing Fuji and Taka?

Fayte
June 22, 2009, 10:37 PM
What about the doubles team that beat effing Fuji and Taka?

Yep, even that team. Worthless.

javimgol
June 23, 2009, 02:35 AM
Yep, even that team. Worthless.
Well, the other doubles (Minami-Higashikata) lose in a very close match VS Golden Pair, a national level doubles, and in fact they were considered to be national level pair (http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/93/01/).
The tactic of Yamabuki was having two great doubles and great player in S3.With Akutsu, the team was very good. The problem for me is that Sengoku is really very bad

Bowser
June 23, 2009, 12:18 PM
The team that beat fuji and taka are nowhere near as good as the Jimmies and they're supposed to be national level! Not too highly rated Im afraid. Sengoku is better in anime im afriad but still...surely Fuji could've won that double match? But then that doesnt sure that Yamabuki is better in both double.

JyAZ
June 23, 2009, 09:48 PM
Well, the other doubles (Minami-Higashikata) lose in a very close match VS Golden Pair, a national level doubles, and in fact they were considered to be national level pair (http://www.onemanga.com/Prince_of_Tennis/93/01/).
The tactic of Yamabuki was having two great doubles and great player in S3.With Akutsu, the team was very good. The problem for me is that Sengoku is really very bad

I think that Konomi messed him up as a character. He had a lot of hype, but he was just a tool for Momo and Kamio to evolve and show their stuff. A waste. I really like his character.

Fayte
June 24, 2009, 05:17 PM
Don't worry, there is hope with U-17.

javimgol
June 24, 2009, 05:18 PM
I would like a Boxing Sengoku. I liked it in the fillers

Atobe the king
June 24, 2009, 05:26 PM
Boxing tennis is stupid because..damn...

Simply put, it only works if your good enough to control the pace of your opponent.

People who utterly destroy pace:

Sanada (Top spin lob painting the fucking baseline routinely? the ultimate killer of pace, so is every single FuuRinKaInZanRai shot)

Ryoma (he's ambidextrous, your not getting into any sort of rythm if he decied to troll you during the match)

Yukimura ( you wouldn't gather pace to begin with)

Tezuka (tezuka zone crushes your pace)

javimgol
June 24, 2009, 05:28 PM
Boxing tennis is stupid because..damn...

Simply put, it only works if your good enough to control the pace of your opponent.

People who utterly destroy pace:

Sanada (Top spin lob painting the fucking baseline routinely? the ultimate killer of pace, so is every single FuuRinKaInZanRai shot)

Ryoma (he's ambidextrous, your not getting into any sort of rythm if he decied to troll you during the match)

Yukimura ( you wouldn't gather pace to begin with)

Tezuka (tezuka zone crushes your pace)

You put as examples monsters. Sengoku isn't his that level. With (many) lucky (XD) he would be near of the rest of Rikkai-Tachibana level

Atobe the king
June 24, 2009, 05:33 PM
If it only works against certain players it's pointless, and they aren't the only players that can destroy pace.

Oshitari can do it, Atobe wouldn't let you gain any Rhythm, Shiriashi is the same as Atobe etc..

Edit-Tachibana also destroys Rhythm since he usually has his power turned off.

javimgol
June 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
If it only works against certain players it's pointless, and they aren't the only players that can destroy pace.

Oshitari can do it, Atobe wouldn't let you gain any Rhythm, Shiriashi is the same as Atobe etc..

Edit-Tachibana also destroys Rhythm since he usually has his power turned off.
Atobe and Shiraishi don´t play in the same league as Sengoku.
Oshitari does, and I would really like that match

Atobe the king
June 24, 2009, 05:49 PM
Atobe and Shiraishi don´t play in the same league as Sengoku.
Oshitari does, and I would really like that match

Oshitari is above Sengoku in almost every way...

Momo with a cramp beat Sengoku, Momo lost (narrowly) to Oshitari.

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
Oshitari is above Sengoku in almost every way...

Momo with a cramp beat Sengoku, Momo lost (narrowly) to Oshitari.
But we are supposing Sengoku has improved (Oshitori improved since he lost, with Cancer Mukahi as pair, VS "Kikumaru I-cannot-play-6-games-in-a-row-cause-im-exhausted" and "Momo im-here-thanks-to-a-pregnant")

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 08:25 AM
Sengoku lost games to his opponent (richard)

Oshitari bageled his first opponents

Hyotei is just on another level compared to Yamabuki

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hyotei is just on another level compared to Yamabuki
That's an absolut true.
I would like to see a Shiten VS Hyotei to see which is better

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hyotei vs Shiten...hmm...
Shiraishi vs Ootori would be cool, but Shiraishi would win.
Gin vs Kabaji....Now that would be interesting.
Kintarou vs Atobe...Atobe. Kintarou's style is awesome, but it would be useless against world of ice.
Chitose vs...Ootori? Since the other good Hyotei players are busy, it would be up to Ootori to fight him. He would win all his service games, and lose all the other games. They would go to a tiebreak. Then whoever is more popular would win.
Zaizen vs Hiyoshi- Now this would be an interesting match.

Zaizen- I WAS THE ONE WITH THE MOST HYPE AND THEREFORE I WAS CLEARLY THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT.

Hiyoshi-DREAM ON. THAT'S MY ONLY TITLE. DON'T YOU DARE TAKE IT FROM ME!

Kenya vs Shishido-Kenya starts winning. Then Shishido goes all Kaidoh on him and wins. By "goes all kaidoh" I mean doesn't give up and makes Kenya stamina go down, by using some kind of new strategy.

Funny tennis guys vs Jirou+Anyone= Jirou. The fact that he is always laughing would throw them off.

Koshikawa vs Taki

Koshikawa: Do I even get a match?
Taki: Shut up. At least you are the vice captain. I'm just the guy who takes care of the money.
Koshikawa: Wait. You take care of the money of the richest school in Japan.
Taki: Yeah so?
Koshikawa: Why are you complaining?
Taki: ....I'll be right back after I buy some popularity.

Did I miss any possible singles match?

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 11:24 AM
Koshikawa vs Taki

I completely forgotten that guys existed!
I would really love a tournament between them, Arai, the bad player of Rokkaku, the second doubles of Fudoumine (Uchimira and Mori was their names, I have just read it in the manga volume), Anne Tachibana and Dan (they appeared in Crystal Drive for DS!), the other doubles of Higa...I would even accept in that tournament Itsuki, Mukahi and pre-Hadokyyu Kawamura

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 12:26 PM
I completely forgotten that guys existed!
I would really love a tournament between them, Arai, the bad player of Rokkaku, the second doubles of Fudoumine (Uchimira and Mori was their names, I have just read it in the manga volume), Anne Tachibana and Dan (they appeared in Crystal Drive for DS!), the other doubles of Higa...I would even accept in that tournament Itsuki, Mukahi and pre-Hadokyyu Kawamura

Ann would take the tournament FOR SURE. By the way, what happened to her? You guys think she will appear in the manga?

Is she going to end with Kamio or Momoshiro?
...Or Atobe. I vote for Atobe!

Talking about Kamio though and going back on topic, shame he has to go. Between him and Shinji I'll have Shinji staying any day, but Kamio is still awesome.

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 01:00 PM
Ann would take the tournament FOR SURE. By the way, what happened to her? You guys think she will appear in the manga?

Is she going to end with Kamio or Momoshiro?
...Or Atobe. I vote for Atobe!

Talking about Kamio though and going back on topic, shame he has to go. Between him and Shinji I'll have Shinji staying any day, but Kamio is still awesome.
Atobe could flirt with EVERY woman of this planet (well, maybe he would have a problem with Lisbeth Salander), so I don´t think he would stay with Anne.

And about Shinji, what new abilities do you think he had? I would like to have a Spot for legs (it would be perfect for Kamio). Anyway, he should have improved a lot if he wants to be in the level of the rest of the people in the cover. Kintaroh owned him TOO much

Ravsieg
July 15, 2009, 06:56 PM
I see there's been some talk about Sengoku.

I think that his appearances on SH2 and FTST pretty much sum him up.

Top-notch basic stats, As and Bs everywhere. Then there's TONS of "abilities" that bring him down. From neglicence to not giving a crap, there's a lot of stuff that down his stats. I think that if he's leading, overconfidence brings all his stats down by a value. And so on.

Basically, Sengoku is one of the most gifted players of the series. However, he doesn't care, doesn't try, goes down easily. And anyone with a will to win surpasses pure talent, even on real life it's like that. So he's been just used to make other characters grow by having their wins over him considered "big".