PDA

View Full Version : Complete Defense Devil by Youn In Wan & Yang Kyung Il

Koen
April 06, 2009, 11:46 AM
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee60/koenosaki/Defensedevil-1.jpg

Defense Devil by Youn In-Wan & Yang Kyung-Il (http://mangahelpers.com/m/defense-devil)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in Shounen Sunday 2009 #19 (release date 08 April 2009)

About the series:
N/A

About the Author:
Famous Korean duo, Youn In-Wan (writer) and Yang King-Il (artist), are known for their pervious work Shin Angyo Onshi (http://mangahelpers.com/m/shin-angyo-onshi) published in Sunday Gene-X. Other works: Let's Bible, Burning Hell, etc. Defense Devil is a serialisation of their one shot Akuma Bengoshi Kukabara (http://mangahelpers.com/m/akumabengoshikukabara).

┬ČBol
April 06, 2009, 11:54 AM
Seems cool, even if I didn't understand anything but chaos, fighr and a demon.
Waiting for a translation.

Revilenigma
April 06, 2009, 12:08 PM
I was working on the original one-shot, holy crap I can't believe this got a series. I'm about half way done the translation and 100% done the editing. The original one shot is called Akuma Bengoshi Kukabara.

Algid
April 06, 2009, 12:40 PM
It seems a bit more like Let's Bible than Shin Angyo Onshi, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Since the characters from the oneshot and this first chapter are different I'm guessing that the first chapter already finished with this story arc and it's going to move on to him dealing with someone else (and we won't see guy with baseball bat ever again). Wonder what the main story line will deal with instead of just introducing "this week's contract".

Revilenigma
April 06, 2009, 02:33 PM
it looks like they made Bichura wear pants lol

Sherlock Holmes
April 06, 2009, 05:32 PM
Let's Bible?
Bible is a verb?
...Cool.

...That made me think of the bible used as a beyblade.
Oh god. MOST.AWESOME. BLASPHEMY. EVER.

Algid
April 06, 2009, 06:04 PM
Let's Bible?
Bible is a verb?
...Cool.

...That made me think of the bible used as a beyblade.
Oh god. MOST.AWESOME. BLASPHEMY. EVER.

It's actually about teenage female Jesus taking a vacation on Earth, which is plenty awesome I would think.

Shin Angyo Onshi is about a guy fighting a demon/demi-god who has various powers that all basically amounts to shaping reality/people's perception of reality. It's one of the best manga/manwha I've read, so I'm expecting good things from this if we get a translator for it and it doesn't get canceled.

Koen
April 06, 2009, 06:16 PM
Well the art of this one is definitely different to the art they used in shin angyo onshi. It's softer than the heavy one in shin angyo onshi. Okay there'll always be those main consistent elements of art but it's obvious they adapted their art for the magazine and audiance. I can't say anything about the manga itself but since the first chapter is very similar to the one shot, I have to say I'll keep an eye on this one. Let's bible was imo a cooler concept. Shin angyo onshi was awesome

Algid
April 06, 2009, 06:28 PM
The art in Shin Angyo Onshi itself changed over time. It's especially recognizable in the earlier chapters, in the preview chapter for example, Munsu looked really different from how he did later on, not the character design, just the way the face was drawn. I think the art is very similar to the later volumes, just that it's "softer" in that it's shonen instead of seinin, so we don't get all the giant demonic monstrosities and corpses exploding into fountains of blood and things in that vein.

r3born
April 06, 2009, 07:45 PM
You can't go wrong with this artist no matter what you like. SAO was top-notch quality (story/art). Hope this one will be as good or at least as fun.

Akainu
April 07, 2009, 04:47 AM
wow, that's so cool. I really liked what they did in the oneshot (there's a scanlation of it at mangafox, but the group doesn't want to come here <.<' - good to read someones working on it! thx!).

Maxy Barnard
April 07, 2009, 05:03 AM
this is definitely looking like it could be a solid favourite in sunday, but only time will tell

Revilenigma
April 07, 2009, 12:55 PM
http://mangahelpers.com/s/gantzteaminternational/details/20650 there finished it.

hash899
April 07, 2009, 04:01 PM
I'm thinking about doing this series to the end but i will need a translator to be able to do this. so yeh if anyone is interested do drop me a pm.

Magicoreo
April 07, 2009, 11:21 PM
*shocked*
Wow, this is the first time I've seen a Korean draw like this.

But, wow.
I never knew Koreans can get serialized.
I'm really interested, are there any more Koreans that got serialized?
Wow, this inspired a Korean teenager to draw more! :3

DeidaraGrimmjow
April 08, 2009, 04:10 AM
Kuro Kami is drawn by a Korean. And it is serialized in Young Gangan (has an anime too). I know there are probably others but that is the one that comes to mind.

Koen
April 08, 2009, 06:40 PM
*shocked*

But, wow.

Well the Koreans in Japan are mostly succesful one. I think this duo might be the most famous and succesful one. The main reason why some come to Japan is because in their own country, their job is underpayed. (anyway off topic to help you out, let's kee it on topic again ^^)

bellcrossage
April 08, 2009, 07:54 PM
I have a sinking feeling that Kukabara and his "pet" are pranksters, much like how Loki was in Norse mythogoly.

Akainu
April 09, 2009, 01:36 AM
Seeing how similar the oneshot and chapter 1 are I think it's safe to say you are right.
I'd like to know the actual reason though ^^

Algid
April 09, 2009, 01:58 AM
Seeing how similar the oneshot and chapter 1 are I think it's safe to say you are right.
I'd like to know the actual reason though ^^

There was a preview chapter for SAO that was also very similar to the first chapter of SAO.

It's just the way that they do things I think. The four chapters were each also similar in that they basically covered one story arc, the main characters were all introduced, but the main plot wasn't. Munsu also wasn't really very serious in the first chapter if I recall, so that could easily change.

Lingwe
April 09, 2009, 12:40 PM
Translation is done - http://mangahelpers.com/t/lingwe/releases/11209

Shurou
April 09, 2009, 02:09 PM
Sweet, almost the same as the one shot, but glad to see it's getting serialized!

kaostheory
April 10, 2009, 03:25 PM
When i first read the oneshot, i thought to myself that this definitely needed to become a series. Now it is and I am so happy since the oneshot was so awesome.

Akainu
April 11, 2009, 09:20 AM
*shocked*

But, wow.

Well there are some Koreans that aim for serialization in Japan and also paint really good. check out Boichi for example, his oneshot HOTEL (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/hotel/v01/c001/) is imo really well drawn.

to get that on topic again: why did they change translate the name for the series? imo Akuma Bengoshi sounds much better than Defense Devil ... or do people in Japan like english so much? :blink

DeidaraGrimmjow
April 11, 2009, 10:29 AM
Akuma Bengoshi sounds much better than Defense Devil ... or do people in Japan like english so much? :blink

I though that the name untranslated sounded much better too, but if they like English as much as we like Japanese, who can blame them? :)

hash899
April 11, 2009, 06:46 PM
This series caught my eye because of its english name. I thought it was kinda weird so i checked it out. I really loved the one shot and I can't wait to see what the series has to offer ^.^

Raichu
April 12, 2009, 04:38 PM
The one shot was really great and I re-read it so many times ehehe!Glad to see it getting serialized~
Oh boy their stuffs are really great I loved all of their stories so far Shin Angyo Onshi and Let's Bible.
Very funny and I love the thick lines that they use.Although the artist changed his drawing style a bit but nevertheless I love it hehe~Hope to see more for this series it's really good and I hope that it'll be a Hit.

Tsubaya
April 13, 2009, 03:30 PM
Any english team is gonna scanelize it ?

hash899
April 13, 2009, 04:00 PM
there is one called ETC but they are taking their sweet time :) but considering its a 60 odd page chapter it will take sometime.

Lingwe
April 13, 2009, 05:01 PM
I'm going to do the next chapter as well but it'll take a little while since I'm going to Sydney for the next few days.

Tsubaya
April 14, 2009, 11:45 AM
there is one called ETC but they are taking their sweet time :) but considering its a 60 odd page chapter it will take sometime.

ok cool :) do you have their website ? or forum ?

And thx lingwe to translate that manga, i luv it :p

hash899
April 14, 2009, 02:21 PM
ok cool :) do you have their website ? or forum ?

And thx lingwe to translate that manga, i luv it :p

http://mangahelpers.com/s/etc but they didnt seem to update it about defense devil.

Lingwe
April 20, 2009, 02:27 AM
ETC will hopefully have the chapter out soon, we'll just have to wait a bit longer for it, but hopefully it will have better quality for it.

The second chapter kind of looks like it's just a repeat of the first half of the first chapter (which was 3 and a half normal chapters long in itself), so we're probably still in the 'introduction' phase and won't start getting to the plot arc stuff for a few more chapters. Still, this is running in Sunday and it's by veterans, so this manga will be sticking around for sometime yet. I can't wait to see where the story goes.

Raichu
April 21, 2009, 03:01 PM
There's already three raws...and still no sign of any chapter scanlated...
I really hope that ETC release their stuffs soon ^^...
So far,the pages numbers have been smaller...
60 pages->30 pages->19 pages...
well it's weekly anyway.

sasiko
April 21, 2009, 03:21 PM
though i wonder why tehy have in japanese language?

hlx42s
April 22, 2009, 01:07 AM
why wouldn't it be in japanese?:blink

they're Koreans living in Japan..
drawing manhwa that is being published by a weekly japanese manga magazine, read by Japanese audience :p
of course it'll be in Japanese, for the benefit of the audience haha!

the series looks great, but i think it's a bit repetitive...battle manga doesn't suit well with repetition in my opinion; well it might work better if the cases were expended longer, rather than just two to three chapters.

Meromorphe
April 25, 2009, 05:11 PM
I read the first scanlated chapter and I was truely impressed.
The art is gorgeous with a lot of creativity in the objects and background.
The story was well executed and they could make some attempts at humor that succeeded.
The original idea of "lawyer" for the dead makes an interesting mix of supernatural and mystery and the universe of the manga seems coherent and does not invent too many rules.
The Characters and their interactions work well and the main character looks badass when transformed.

I can easily see this manga becomes a hit that sells more 100,000 copies by volume in 2 or 3 years. Though, an anime would help in the process.

I will certainly continue to read it, even if I am not fond of mangas like Conan or Kindaichi (I speak of them because there is this mystery element in this manga and therefore we will have some cases solved along the course of the story).

Lingwe
April 25, 2009, 09:15 PM
I'm in a conundrum.

When Defense Devil was first released I asked the guys at ETC if they were going to scanlate DD and if I could translate it for them (they were the group that scanlated the oneshot). They agreed, however would prefer to base their releases off the higher quality volume raws. This of course means higher quality, but a slower release schedule. They also have a dedicated proofer, which means that the script is much less likely to contain parts that don't make sense or are poorly written.

Alternatively I can make the translations public and allow any group that wants to do it to do it. This means a faster release schedule but lower quality since ETC would most likely choose to not do the series if someone else is already scanlating it.

I just can't make up my mind. So it's up to what you, the potential readers want. Do you want me to make the translations public or do you not mind waiting several weeks before the first chapters are released?

DeidaraGrimmjow
April 26, 2009, 12:06 AM
High quality is nice, but I personally don't mind having lower quality if it means faster releases.

Meromorphe
April 26, 2009, 02:19 AM
I wanted to say, since there was a DDL for it on MH, it is better to remain with this group, but their release seems to have disappeared from MH's database :o

hash899
April 26, 2009, 07:29 PM
Chapter 1 by tenkai and chapter 2,3 by I Eat Manga are up. Now we are up to date :)

Doragon
April 28, 2009, 06:26 PM
Really great manga. Art style is awesome. Hope you finish the whole series.

Akainu
May 02, 2009, 06:15 PM
hahaha, great humor - totally unexpected :D
no littering in the park - no recycling in hell, fair deal imo

Sherlock Holmes
May 02, 2009, 11:18 PM
...This is like Phoenix Wright meets Neuro.
Which is AWESOME!

tenebrae
May 12, 2009, 07:49 PM
This manga is pretty good so far even though i cant compare it to their other work since i didn't read any of it.

Drmke
July 29, 2009, 04:58 PM
Wow chapter 15 was really good. Finally it looks like we have a very interesting new rival/case coming up.

I keep forgetting how new this series is lol but I was reminded when I saw the cover of volume 1 on the first page of this week's chapter. And I must say it looks very cool.

cleodux
August 16, 2009, 07:18 AM
Read up to ch14. I know it is still too early to tell, but ch 14 without no other allies introduced. I am beginning to feel lonely. It can get repetitive, since so far he only solved case by case basis. And all the antagonist so far defeated so easily (well of course after he got the dark matter). I can not compare to SAO, since i never manage to read more then 1 vol(right after he save the girlfriend and it start to get boring to me >.< i know i need to read it again, since i like seinen genre). But still we are talking about 1 shonen and 1 seinen, it will not work out when you comparing the two.

And although it is not the same, i can't help but this series remind me a lot of Neuro (the eating stuff)

Flolex
August 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
i really like this series. the art is great and the story has a lot of potential. That the story isn't that deep yet is just natural after only 17 chapter so far...

I'm more concerned if the manga stays as it is, gets more into mysterie oder more into battle...

cleodux
September 04, 2009, 12:07 AM
Read up to ch 20 raw just now.

Looks like this manga is turning to battle manga direction, or at least according the the arc that just introduced. Hey... whatever it is i am glad that this is going somewhere - hopefully. (not case by case basis)

Looks like Idamaria will be a powerfull ally for Kucabara.

antares.gd
September 04, 2009, 06:13 AM
Does anyone has any idea about the release date of the first volume of this manga?

Kuszek
September 04, 2009, 06:31 AM
Defense Devil is an interesting manga/manhwa with a great art. It's quite schematic but good.

The new character, Idamaria, is cute and has nice looking powers BUT!
During her introduction in chapter 15 there was a terrible lie. Exorcisms are not forbidden for Catholics! I mean, baptism is in some way an exorcism. A simple exorcism can be done by everybody (prayer) but a well-known practice is done by bishops and priests. So yeah, nuns can't do that but saying that about Catholics is a lie.

The Iscariot Organization in Hellsing was made up and there were many things which didn't seem right but it was a fiction and I completely understand that, but this mistake in Defense Devil can only be called as a lack of knowledge.

Don't get me wrong, my feelings weren't hurt, I'm not a Catholic (I was, but that's not the place to talk about this) but lie is a lie.

Does anyone has any idea about the release date of the first volume of this manga?

18th August

Akainu
September 04, 2009, 07:43 AM
It's a fictional story that does not claim to state real facts :amuse
Otherwise there would be hell(s), event horizon, magical cards, dark matter and so on.
My point is, when they talk about "the Catholic church" it's not the one in 'our reality' but something fictual on it's own that is loosly based on said reality.
It is for example like you said the case, that exorcism is still in practise (there are even female exorcists btw.) but they now have to differ between mental problems and posession after the church tightend the rules.

That said, Idamaria isn't a typical exorcist anyway. She's not treating posessed people but calling demons to earth directly <.<;

Kuszek
September 04, 2009, 08:32 AM
That said, Idamaria isn't a typical exorcist anyway. She's not treating posessed people but calling demons to earth directly <.<;

Damn! I overlooked this, you're right :facepalm

antares.gd
September 06, 2009, 08:25 PM
18th August

Well, then soon there should be a raw, shouldn't it?

Akainu
September 12, 2009, 05:48 PM
The last two chapters kinda feel like a heavy rupture in pace. I hope it's not rushing towards its end, but it looks like it... Displaying many cases without detail, giving backgroundinformation through an almost omniscient character (Bichula)... do you think they could do it in six chapters and stop once the third tank is full? :s

cleodux
September 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
The last two chapters kinda feel like a heavy rupture in pace. I hope it's not rushing towards its end, but it looks like it... Displaying many cases without detail, giving backgroundinformation through an almost omniscient character (Bichula)... do you think they could do it in six chapters and stop once the third tank is full? :s

Nooo.... i think DD has more potential than that. The flashback chapters will take at least a few chapters, so 6 chapters with conclusion is not enough to finish the current arc. Hopefully!

And they had just introduced Idamaria too >.<

Drmke
September 12, 2009, 11:34 PM

God I hope not. :s

Maybe it is just being set up for an even bigger arc than this one...who knows. But it is way to good to end so early on.

Akainu
September 13, 2009, 05:19 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to end either, but that's the impression I got...

Pitou
September 22, 2009, 10:12 AM
Unfortunately I got similira impressions like aka. I realy hope, that after the flashback- and demonworld-arc Kucabara and Bichula return to their cases.
Naturaly they need disputants too. I also be afraid of: who would be this disputants of Kuca, if he even settles the affair in the demon world?...... Q_Q

After all it seems, that the current flashback includes a mini-mini-case (the thing with the doll...) *hopeful*

EDIT:
no chapter this week or late raws?

Ayumiya
September 28, 2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah. I wish the flashback can be shorten, quickly went into main point.
But, it looks like it going to take few more chp to finish it. 0.0

Can't wait what he gonna do as he head back to demon world.

Xadyu
September 29, 2009, 01:56 PM
Short note of what i think~

The one-shot was better.

Lol, yeah, that said, the art improved in the manga itself, but the way how the manga worked out until now just disappointed me, I can't help it, although it's great at it's good moments, it actually turned out very mediocre and unoriginal.

Random Rant: The author should think more about the titles! It annoys me! D:

Nurarihyon-Sama
October 08, 2009, 01:35 PM
so the little brother turns out to be the antagonist in this ? not entinrely sure just guess based on raw

Pitou
December 08, 2009, 02:59 AM
Shugarl is back!! xDD And I thought, they die after Kucabara's judgement... Fail! xD My favorite is back. I laught a few minutes, after seeing his beautiful evil look xD

and btw... when arrives the fan-service its end? -.- Man... In "Shin Angyo" they managed to put it in a minimum, and now in that cheap way? -.-

Well, let's see, how the match ends...

Pantsutastic
December 15, 2009, 05:43 AM
Read first chapter,it was wacky but looked like has potential.

For those who read the later chapter does this get repetitive/formulaic?

Drmke
December 15, 2009, 04:58 PM
Read first chapter,it was wacky but looked like has potential.

For those who read the later chapter does this get repetitive/formulaic?

It goes through a few cases like the first one, but the plot does change and becomes less repetitive. Also, each case is different from the last so its still fun.

Queenofmuffins
February 10, 2010, 01:22 AM
Chapter 38 translation is done~~

http://mangahelpers.com/t/queenofmuffins/releases/19779

p1xel
April 11, 2010, 02:12 AM
Yeah,that series are one of my favorites,they have great development and art:)
GO DEFENSE DEVIL!:P

Akiyama
May 18, 2010, 11:10 PM
First off let me say I really love Yang Kyung-Il's art style. It reminds me of Death Note is some ways, like the shinigamis and demons have the same cool patterns. I've finished catching up with all the scans which is always a good/bad thing. The Idamaria fan service is not as bad as it could be. I know she's posing on the title page it seems like every other chapter or having her clothes ripped off (hehehe) but at least the art is tasteful. Her dark side is what I'm interested in knowing more about. Well, chapter 50 will be in another week, I have no choice but to wait.

gama984
June 04, 2010, 04:22 AM
Spoiler Pics of Chapter 51: http://juinjutsuteam.forumcommunity.net/?t=37989046

Tibotns
June 05, 2010, 06:34 AM
A raw for chapter 51 : http://www.mediafire.com/?jnyimzmhgj4

Thank Rena-Chan :)

requiem46
June 14, 2010, 07:35 AM
I'm liking the ccurrent stuff, but I have no idea why it was thrown out now xD

Arrogance
July 05, 2010, 04:40 PM
So I just read chapter 55 and then I made this face :blink. All that hype of them fighting and having a huge past of anger and hatred and now they were going to finally fight and BAM.....Rock Paper Scissors. BEST PLOT TWIST OF ALL TIME! :XD I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

I love Defense Devil a lot, Thanks Akiyama for the recommendation :D. We need to get more people reading this so we can discuss it more on a regular basis! :shakefist

fizban
July 07, 2010, 02:01 AM
The rock-paper-scissors bit killed me. And it is neat that we got to see Kucabara's full-on mode again this chapter. Total waste of dark energy but whatever. What are the chances that will come back to bite him in the ass any time soon?

Arrogance
July 13, 2010, 07:37 PM
O M G!!! THE GATE WAS OPEN THE WHOLE TIME!!! :faint I couldn't believe it. I was fooled by the rock paper scissors and then now this! Even though they could have went through the doors and avoided all this, I still found everything worth it because of the flash backs and the history we got behind the two. Now that the flashbacks are over I am curious about what will happen next and what the next hell will bring.

p1xel
July 23, 2010, 11:21 AM
The rock-paper-scissors bit killed me. And it is neat that we got to see Kucabara's full-on mode again this chapter. Total waste of dark energy but whatever. What are the chances that will come back to bite him in the ass any time soon?
Lol yeah,that game was epic.Hmm,now there will be 4 chapters with short stories(probably to raise popularity^^)so i can`t predict too much^^I`m curious what will happen then...he will become a devil king and idamaria...?Maybe it will be back to a detective manga...hmm...that`s a good idea but i prefer that what`s going on now:D

Koen
January 03, 2011, 07:51 PM
Pimping up this thread's activity...

I think this manga has progressed in a positive way. They have found Jupiter's parents and two great fights are (about to) happening. Cooper vs Shugarl looks promising. Two strong devils fighting each other and Kucabara has been exposed as the mastermind behind the parent's death. If Kucabara and Shugarl are going to win this fight for Jupiter then I think that Legato will become more serious

Akiyama
January 06, 2011, 03:36 PM
To me I'm getting the feeling that Cooper will be joining the ensemble after this arc. The whole time I was convinced that Phoenix was not that bad and willing to help the parents but bravo to the author for tricking me.

Koen
January 06, 2011, 07:18 PM
To me I'm getting the feeling that Cooper will be joining the ensemble after this arc. The whole time I was convinced that Phoenix was not that bad and willing to help the parents but bravo to the author for tricking me.

Yeah same over here. Phoenix' true motives were definitely an unexpected twist. I was also convinced for a long time that he was someone who'd give the benefit of doubt to the sinners and Kucabara by giving latter one some time to gather evidence.

Well, I am not so sure about cooper. Samus has already joined the crew and don't forget that Shugarl has decided to help out. It would be however great if he was beaten. A loss could be a reason to acknowledge Shugarl, Kucabara and co... But I know that Legato will become more serious when Cooper is going to lose (joining Kucabara or not)

Iceiphoenix
January 10, 2011, 02:37 AM
Chapter 79 (Judgment 51) is out -> here (http://urupload.com/Defense_Devil/079/1) <-

An interesting turn of events... I wonder if they're all just going to fight against each other independently, or if Cooper and Shugarl would team up temporarily to defeat Idamaria, and then go on with their fight. >.> Or Kucabara might just turn up to save the day. ._.

Koen
January 21, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'd call this interesting turn of events as some sort of anticlimax for me. I was somehow expecting an interesting fight between cooper and shugarl on one hand and phoenix and kucabara on the other hand. The intervention of Idamaria on rampage in the former fight is somehow a disappointment. I have never liked a fight in which a third person is interrupting everything. I do think that things might become more interesting if they are worked out good.
[hr]
Nice, this chapter was great. The fight between Phoenix and Kucabara is good. I like Kucabara's determination in getting Jupiter's parents back. Phoenix didn't expect the power which grows along with this determination. I think that this fight will be fixed easily

sabret00the
April 21, 2011, 03:30 AM
Haha, I always thought this was a manga. It's a welcome surprise to find out different. Anyway, it's finally getting really good again.

Jirachier
January 14, 2013, 03:37 PM
Hi, I was just wondering if the main protagonist will get back his powers by the end ?