PDA

View Full Version : Chapter One Piece Volume 44 (ch420-430) Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

RevenGz
October 05, 2006, 02:51 AM
hughes death can be beaten :(

darkkarl
October 05, 2006, 04:11 AM
heh heh heh ... Thanks guys/ gals. I truly appreciate the appreciative remarks (^_^)V

This chapter proves beyond doubt that One Piece is one of the best mangas set loose in the market in this day and age.

(Japan produces a heckuva lot of manga, but only a few of them actually beat out a new path, and define a new style so to speak - you have dragonball(character power dynamics), naruto (re-exploring and redefining the ninja-themed manga), guyver, gundam, crayon shinchan, ranma 1/2, Tokyo Babylon, Akira, etc. and of course One Piece.
You have people copying the style and plot mechanics soon after. Sometimes they don't do a half-assed take at it - even to the point of being more definitive of the new genre than the original ... Though, I think that OP definitely takes the cake with this one...)

People just see the absurdly drawn characters and assume that one cant weave a sophisticated story into it... well, people are generally wrong... and One Piece is a case in point.

myself, I grew up with anime and manga, both Japanese and American. And Except for Transformers the movie (tm), there was always something unique about manga that drew out tears, or advocated exultation. Recently, though, as the Japanese economic bubble burst, and people became more cynical of a world growing smaller and less idyllic by the minute, a lot of that "magical element" disappeared from contemporary mangas.

I think the "magic" has much to do with the child-like concept of a wide, unknown world open for adventure. A world which is allowed to stay undefined, and thus unlimited, much as the appeal of childhood is in the fact of potential yet unrevealed. A world that is intrinsically good, albeit not by any means safe for the unwary itinerant.

It's refreshing to find at last a manga wherein that old magic yet flows. I do hope that people find that magic again, and mayhap put a bit of that in their everyday world views, and make the world a better place? After all a world full of anal control-freaks aint no fun to dwell in...

(Sorry for the long missive, folks!)

And yes, I admit that couldnt hold back MY own tears, reading this particular chapter... Took me by surprise, actually... Oda did a freaking good job with this one...

Bartserk
October 05, 2006, 01:30 PM
This chapter has emoted me to the point of being near to crying. It's probably the best manga chapter I've read in my whole life. All that I wish is that all the people who said that One Piece was losing quality, or that was becoming incoherent, or that demanded an explanation of why was Merry there, are happy with their godforsaken explanation. One Piece has 430 chapters and still the ability to surprise and emote their readers, while the high and mighty and so-called (for example) Naruto and Bleach have about 100 chapters less and are already running in an infinite and boring loop. This manga has the best plot and is the best well-drawn ever. Oda you're godly!!!!

P.S - And yeah, I think it's the best well-drawn manga I've ever seen. It's probably not the best proportionate. Not all the faces are beautiful and handsome. The perspectives are sometimes a bit shabby. But what is more important in something inanimate, I think, is not these sort of things but the expressions in the faces. In One Piece characters are so expressive that you can make your own idea of their personalities and dreams. I love it so much ^^

Sesse
October 05, 2006, 02:14 PM
Man, I was hoping they would make another bigger ship around Merry. :p That way Merry could sail with them, and they would have a better ship. Merry in this case would kinda be the passenger of the new ship haha :D. Anyway, this chapter was really well done. I cried when I was reading books before and watching anime but its my first time crying to a manga. :D

venicia777
October 05, 2006, 06:42 PM
Man, I was hoping they would make another bigger ship around Merry. :p That way Merry could sail with them, and they would have a better ship. Merry in this case would kinda be the passenger of the new ship haha :D. Anyway, this chapter was really well done. I cried when I was reading books before and watching anime but its my first time crying to a manga. :D

soo many people cried. This is awesome.

But no!! i am glad ODA completely killed off Merry.
Dont you see? He killed two birds with one stone.

He probablly knew this arc didnt have all the twists and turns that he usually gave us. The emotional- hair raising- close to death- dramatic fighting scenes were not quite there in this arc. Most of the fights except choppers didnt impress me much or should i say were too direct. As a result people started complaining of how long the arc had become etc etc and were just looking for newer stuff.

And then he even brought Merry back- when he made all of us believe Merry was gone and a new ship was on the way.

ODA SAVED US ALL and This ARC with this chapter vis a vis Merry's Death.

All that I wish is that all the people who said that One Piece was losing quality, or that was becoming incoherent, or that demanded an explanation of why was Merry there, are happy with their godforsaken explanation.

As i have said- people had a reason to complain- thats what you do when you like something so much and it seems to be going somewhere else. and it wasnt all that great and rosy- just that Oda knew how to satiate everyone with just this one chapter. most importantly though, all those who complained stuck with One Piece.

white silver
October 05, 2006, 07:39 PM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Should we put a voting poll here asking if anybody cried reading this chapter?

tqm_z
October 05, 2006, 11:32 PM
WG arc was full of conflict arc... starting from deciding to part ways with Merry, Luffy & Usopp fight, probablity of Robin betrayal... saving nakama... and finally lost nakama... drive my tears out too. may be with a poll we could measure how much this ending hurt one piece fan.

Mogeking
October 05, 2006, 11:58 PM
All I can say is that i am a devoted OP fan4life now!!!! WE LOVED YOU MERRY!!! BAAAAA

bax
October 06, 2006, 01:06 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]Should we put a voting poll here asking if anybody cried reading this chapter?

That's could be nice. I absolutely vote for "NO". But I admit, this chapter is one of the saddest Chapter I ever read... If it's not Merry, I don't think it will be as sad as this one.

ChojinRa
October 06, 2006, 04:08 AM
Yeah, this chapter kinda made me into a 'lil B!tc# too... It's literally hard for me to cry, but this did it. Man....

vasiley
October 06, 2006, 04:55 AM
Awesome chapter with very very sad ending about going merry T_T

teokun
October 06, 2006, 06:25 AM
*amfness ang puso ko T_T

sorry i need to express it in my own language T_T

bakashijinsan
October 06, 2006, 08:05 AM
you cried your heart out? lolz! me too! btw we've the same nationality teokun.

at any rate, it all came to this as we all expected at the time of the revelation of kaku that it could never sail again. oda sensei just created a scenario for merry to leave a lasting impression to us fans by saving his nakama (or in the case of others, for being the ship-who-lived)

Raijatsu
October 06, 2006, 09:59 AM
It was sooo sad T-T
it's the first time one of the Nakama dies
the new ship will never fill the gap Merry has left.

white silver
October 06, 2006, 11:08 AM
It was sooo sad T-T
it's the first time one of the Nakama dies
the new ship will never fill the gap Merry has left.

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]That's soooo true.......

Brede
October 06, 2006, 11:23 AM

at this rate, it may be easier to just poll those who didn't cry :amuse 430 was a real tear jerker, it hits you right there! MEEEEERRRRRY! :crying i still harbour (no pun intended) a little hope that Merry will be resurrected in some form again. i wouldn't put it past Oda to pull another twist from the straw hat so to say.

but venicia is right, Oda has cleverly tugged all our heart strings back to OP after a reaaaaallly long (and seemingly never-ending) arc. actually, I was kinda hoping that they would go thru the Gates of Justice. to see what's on the other side of this famed Gates. from that angle, the 'end' of the arc was a little anti-climatic :notrust. maybe Oda is saving that for another arc down the road? :)

cravenight
October 06, 2006, 12:05 PM
Well, it was unlikely for them to storm the marine headquarters at the moment, and i don't think there is a way out in the underwater prison, so this way is probably for the best for them. Hopefully getting a new ship won't take too long, but i guess they are going to be at W7 for couple of chapters.

venicia777
October 07, 2006, 04:39 PM
but venicia is right, Oda has cleverly tugged all our heart strings back to OP after a reaaaaallly long (and seemingly never-ending) arc. actually, I was kinda hoping that they would go thru the Gates of Justice. to see what's on the other side of this famed Gates. from that angle, the 'end' of the arc was a little anti-climatic :notrust. maybe Oda is saving that for another arc down the road? :)

ahh!!! thank you- at least somebody read that. and liked it.
i was also hoping for something too- like anything to resurrect my interest again- since it had hit a lull. The arc was long, almost all the fights were great but not too awe-inspiring and moving like some we had seen in earlier arcs, heck!! even Nami managed to defeat Kalifa :fan etc. SO i always kept the hope that oda will do something to bring all of us back- something to make OP as thick as ever. Not what i was expecting- but Merry dying was a really great one- a true touch of genius.

jeffhmwong
October 07, 2006, 11:58 PM
So Sad......Looking forward to the new ship.....

infyquest
October 08, 2006, 02:53 AM
The new ship is the battle ship designed and built by franky with the 200 million B, He got(stole) from straw hat pirates.

white silver
October 08, 2006, 11:58 AM
[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]It just seems, now matter HOW many times I read this chapter the tears just keep coming out of my eyes.

phantomzero
October 08, 2006, 09:58 PM
This chapter really was one of the most touching chapters of manga I have read in any manga series. It was really nice how Luffy thought of burning Going Merry instead of letting her sink to the dark sea bottom. SH crew's next ship will be stronger, but there will only be one Going Merry. :bored

Personally, I hope Oda doesn't bring back Going Merry in one form or another. If he brought her back, it would make this chapter and Merry's sacrifice pointless. It's better that Going Merry be allowed to rest in peace even if it does mean that we have our first death of a crew member. For this same reason I hope that they don't name their next ship anything close to Going Merry. I don't want the new ship to be thought of as a replacement. It should be a new ship with its own adventures with the SH crew, not a successor to the Going Merry.

P.S. Yes I did cry... alot

Anti-panda
October 08, 2006, 11:50 PM
This chapter really was one of the most touching chapters of manga I have read in any manga series. It was really nice how Luffy thought of burning Going Merry instead of letting her sink to the dark sea bottom. SH crew's next ship will be stronger, but there will only be one Going Merry. :bored

Personally, I hope Oda doesn't bring back Going Merry in one form or another. If he brought her back, it would make this chapter and Merry's sacrifice pointless. It's better that Going Merry be allowed to rest in peace even if it does mean that we have our first death of a crew member. For this same reason I hope that they don't name their next ship anything close to Going Merry. I don't want the new ship to be thought of as a replacement. It should be a new ship with its own adventures with the SH crew, not a successor to the Going Merry.

P.S. Yes I did cry... alot

So.. Verry true. Well said! :)

venicia777
October 09, 2006, 05:15 PM
i dont think Oda is bringing back Merry. Merry probably had her comeback when she made almost all of us cry :yelling :yelling

Oda made luffy burn Merry with fire- snow actually fell to commemorate her eternal ascension into the hearts of the crew, all fans, and one piece folklore. i dont think "she" is coming back. That is too much of a farewell, too good a reason that she probably aint never coming back.

but who am i to say such? Oda brought her back for one of the best if not the greatest saving act in the series when we all thought Merry was gone- he could seemingly keep a bit of Merry somehow.

rocklee87
October 11, 2006, 01:37 PM
i agree she is gone for good and i was just happy it didnt touch me that much but i guess im too cold to love a ship

im happy they get a new ship

white silver
October 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
i agree she is gone for good and i was just happy it didnt touch me that much but i guess im too cold to love a ship

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]* KONOHA........ SENNNNPUUUUUUU*

bax
October 12, 2006, 12:07 AM
Oda made luffy burn Merry with fire- snow actually fell to commemorate her eternal ascension into the hearts of the crew, all fans, and one piece folklore. i dont think "she" is coming back. That is too much of a farewell, too good a reason that she probably aint never coming back.

From the looks of the "ceremony", it's the end for GM. Why give it a burial, if it's gonna be resurrected later?

but who am i to say such? Oda brought her back for one of the best if not the greatest saving act in the series when we all thought Merry was gone- he could seemingly keep a bit of Merry somehow.

Sounds like you still disapprove GM returning back at EL, heh?

The Boff
October 12, 2006, 10:35 AM
IF oda were to somehow bring back Merry then ill quit this manga.

this was the best death(yes death) scene ive ever seen in a manga. ive seen better in anime and movies but this is the best mangadeath ever. IF merry somehow returns then Oda was seriously just fucking with us. and thats not cool.

Anti-panda
October 12, 2006, 05:38 PM
I dont think the going merry coming back is even a issue anymore... In fact it would be so anti-productive to the manga... It's not going to happen. however a new ship means new adventures .. and new enemies .. that are going to be approaching legendary figures... the shinchibukai, white beard, maybe a new marine admiral. Who knows ... Im terribly excited.

The Boff
October 12, 2006, 07:25 PM
ok.... going merry seems to still exist
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg/800px-20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg

someone really built a Going Merry! how cool is that? (i wonder if it can fly too? :p)

Anti-panda
October 12, 2006, 08:06 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d8/20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg/800px-20030712_12_July_2003_One_Piece_The_Going_Merry_side_Odaiba_Tokyo_Japan.jpg

someone really built a Going Merry! how cool is that? (i wonder if it can fly too? :p)

Ha lol... that's great.... awesome...!
Now If only they could find a captain made out of rubber ... they'd be set.

white silver
October 12, 2006, 08:38 PM

[b][font=verdana][color=green][size=1]That's just too awesome! I wanna have THAT boat!

Hermie
October 13, 2006, 12:31 AM
(off-topic :notrust)

That boat is actually official, they made it is a marketing device. You can go on board, and even take trips with it. They also update it through-out the series (they added SH statues at one point. =) )

bebekhappy
October 13, 2006, 12:44 AM

OMG :blink....she's aliveeeee...Merry's alive....

i'm sure it can also fly....yess i'm really sure of it :p lolz

Sanji
October 13, 2006, 01:39 AM
i can't predict anymore cuz you have all predicted it and i think ill just add some thing that is not added like this group of luffy will be know all to all four side of the seas and many pirated will be amazed and go for the Gol D. Roger item hehehehe ^_^

bakashijinsan
October 13, 2006, 04:13 AM
(off-topic :notrust)

That boat is actually official, they made it is a marketing device. You can go on board, and even take trips with it. They also update it through-out the series (they added SH statues at one point. =) )

WOW! that is sooo cool! *shouts at the people on board* "Hey! There's the Knockup Stream! It's gonna...ooops too late!" *salutes*"it was a noble death Merry!" :XD

seriously! you can ride that? hope i can have a ride on it one day. :wtf

venicia777
October 16, 2006, 06:48 PM
IF oda were to somehow bring back Merry then ill quit this manga.

this was the best death(yes death) scene ive ever seen in a manga. ive seen better in anime and movies but this is the best mangadeath ever. IF merry somehow returns then Oda was seriously just fucking with us. and thats not cool.

as indicated in my post above i agree completely with you- :woot although i will never quit OP :p

And concerning the ship- (real life ship- picture above)- its been sometime since i saw that photo- i always thought that many fans were already aware of its existence. The first time i saw it- i just told myself- wow!! One Piece is just awesome- this surely beats cosplaying :p

angry
October 17, 2006, 04:29 AM
First time i saw that picture was on the credits page of a Rush release.

venicia777
October 17, 2006, 12:07 PM
First time i saw that picture was on the credits page of a Rush release.

the first time i saw that ship(or a similar one) was probably on AP or Narutochaos Forums. If not sometime early last year- then my memory fails me here :p

Yup!! I sure was surprised somebody, even if it was the anime creators, had in real life designed a Merry Go replica. Not the bad surprise but the good, in awe kind.

But now that Merry go is gone- i dont know if it will gain some new importance, like becoming be real life Relicor attraction :loool to remind us of Merry.

Bye Bye Merry Go :crying :crying

zeff_redleg
October 25, 2006, 05:50 AM
MAN!!!!!!!!!! 430 IS THE BEST ONE PIECE...NO! THE BEST MANGA CHAPTER EVER!!!!!!!!!! :d