PDA

View Full Version : Discussion SFX in Translations / Scanlations

zahir2035
June 25, 2009, 12:43 AM
Some people hates them, some other simply love them...
Me? I love them! In my opinion they add a lot to the atmosphere/action.
What about you?

redcometfm
June 25, 2009, 12:55 AM
I like them when they remain in Japanese. Allows your imagination to wander and adds atmosphere.

Nantalith
June 25, 2009, 04:04 AM
I love them - they're great for effect :tem

Do Kesubei
June 26, 2009, 01:19 PM
I dislike translating sfx, so I avoid it (plus, no one has asked me to). Scanlating groups that actually edit or create their own sfx in place of the original Japanese sfx are displaying great skill, but it really doesn't make a difference to me.

Kaiten
June 28, 2009, 01:27 PM
As a scanlator their really fun to change. Good way to practice redraws and the letter tool. As a fan, I can take or leave them. They usually add nothing to the action and can look kind of cheesy. The Japanese efx are always so pretty :D

Drmke
June 28, 2009, 06:31 PM
I like them. It especially helps when like laughter in the background is translated somewhere on the page or else I see the characters looking around and I'm like "the hell you looking at?" lol

zahir2035
June 28, 2009, 09:58 PM
Yes, there are a couple of good points here.
If the typesetters are to change that, it's quite a challenge, so if the scanlating group is on a race against time, it's very stressing. Also some mangakas really make abig thing of their SFX so they use pretty much of the frame space (i.e. Bleach).
To me, the SFX translated as a side note make my day.
Thanks to all for answering!
ZH

kewl0210
June 28, 2009, 10:25 PM
I think it really varies based on the manga. There are some manga where the sound affects let you know what's going on to some degree. Like if someone is trembling or swallowing or breathing heavily.
Other mangas barely have them, so putting them in is a bit of a waste.

I generally only put in important ones in translations. Which tends to be most except really small/unimportant ones or ones that keep coming up over and over in the same situation.

But I think if you put in every little one it gets annoying.

eyesotope
July 08, 2009, 12:19 PM
personally I prefer to see them translated, but not necessarily edited into the picture, I think the way AQS scans does them is brilliant for example..
you'll be surprised how much a translated SFX can draw your attention to an otherwise unnoticeable background detail, or sometimes explain some obscure event/movement..

but editing panels and pages to replace them with their English meaning/equivalent seems like a lot of unnecessary work imo..

kewl0210
July 08, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't edit them into the pages. You need to just put "SFX: DON" and such in the margains and between the panels. Otherwise you're actually warping the picture. Which shouldn't be done beyond cleaning and redrawing (for text not in bubbles that's shaped around a picture, specifically).

TitaniumChloride
July 09, 2009, 03:05 AM
I personally prefer the SFX to be translated into little subtitles somewhere around the panel rather than have it edited into English because they look much better that way and it would keep with the original feel of the panel.

Doragon
July 10, 2009, 01:15 AM
Translated sfx usually ruins the scanlation unless you use the proper fonts. I prefer them not to be tampered with.

L0ki
July 14, 2009, 03:18 PM
Translated sfx look stupid to me.

Bea Rabbit
August 28, 2009, 10:46 PM
I find them useful/fun

I like them when they remain in Japanese. Allows your imagination to wander and adds atmosphere.

Those SFX are in Katakana kanji so I can get what It mean..
but sometimes there's a case like:
The translator write Bang - Actually its DON
(gun fire)

well, thats why... :darn