PDA

View Full Version : Discussion Pot moments in real life.

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 10:18 AM
Of course, I don't mean that time when you went back in time and killed dinosaurs. I only did that once, and it was boring.

But you know, that tennis match you played where your opponenent totally mind raped you, or that match when you made an almost impossible comeback.

I'll start.

I can use marui's tightrope thingy 1/10 times. Except it's not a volley. It's a drop shot...or something that resembles the bastard son of a drop shot and a slice with an insane amount of spin on it, and I aim for the net. I gotta be at the very least in the baseline to use it.

4/10 times the slice makes the ball not even go through the net.
5/10 times the ball goes through the other side after hitting the net.
1/10 times(make that 1/15 times really) the ball actually walks on the net.

It's REALLY not useful. No matter how much you train(and I trained a lot) the best you can hope for is a 1/10 chance of hitting it right. And even if you do hit it right, it will only give your opponent more time to get to the ball.

...But dammit, it looks cool.

Also, I have the habit of trying to serve the ball using the frame of the racket. Never tried that in an actual match though, just when I'm playing with my friends. NEVER in a tournament. My serve goes really fast when I do that, Scud serve style.

...but I double fault even more than Ootori, so it's just not worth it. REALLY.
I get 8/10 serves out/net when I use the frame of the racket, lol. But again, dammit if it doesn't look cool.

One time me and a friend from a different school were up against each other in a tournament. We did the Atobe/Ryoma evil laugh contest. I won both the evil laugh contest and the match, though the match had no POT elements at all.

Oh, and to quote something I already complained about in another thread(which actually gave me the idea for this thread)

And that Fudomine should have Rocky's theme song as their theme song?

And in a rather offtopic note, I played a match against a friend today. That bastard must be Niou in some kind of alternative universe.

He twisted his ankle. I thought "great, so if I aim all shots on that side..."

Turns out though, he DIDN'T twist his ankle. He PRETENDED to twist his ankle so that I would aim all shots on only one side.

Then he talked to his partner(it was a doubles match) about my partner's habit when hitting a ball.

The thing is, he didn't have a habit. He counted on me overhearing that, telling my partner about it, and my partner subconsciously doing the exact opposite of that.

CLEVER.BASTARD.

He basically won because he and his partner, although much worse than me and my partner, just outsmarted us. Damn. Sorry, I just had to complain about that to someone.

I'm still mad about that.

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 11:17 AM
I can do very easy Snakes and even sometimes Boomeran Snake in Table Tennis. The only problem is that I only know to make the effect to one side, to rival's backhand if the other one is right handed, forehand if he is left handed. And in Table Tennis, too, I have seen Zero-shiki drop shots and one time (a friend that is almost pro) even a Zero-shiki serve , so I'm training to develop it.
My real tennis game is boring, is like Kaidoh but with no Snakes :)

Fayte
June 25, 2009, 11:27 AM
So far I've done the following techniques in real life:

Tsubame Gaeshi - Slice a topspin with your forehand. It is easy.

Higuma Otoshi - Backhand sliced lob from behind, to a smash.

Fuji's Underhand serve - Being I'm left handed, I spin the ball to the left with my right hand, then I slice to the left with my forehand. It makes a nice " ) " curve.

Ka - Being I'm 6'2 and built like Sanada, this came easily

Fuu - easy, just need to get the form down and you have it. It's all in the moving your body in the direction you swing.

Rin - A delayed slow moving lob that totally faked out my brother. He went and swung at it too early and missed the ball. It was awesome. I said "Quiet, like the forest." I couldn't help myself

Dunk Smash - I smashed the ball so hard, it bounced from the front court, and went 10 feet over the fence and into the abyss of the trees.

As for Ping Pong, I've done Pole Striking. It was amazing.

javimgol
June 25, 2009, 11:41 AM
So far I've done the following techniques in real life:

Tsubame Gaeshi - Slice a topspin with your forehand. It is easy.

Easy Tsubame Gaeshi? With no bounce? You are really good!
The problem of Fuji special serve (i've tried it sometimes, i'm triying to develop it) is that, if you don´t hit well, it's an easy return ace for your rival.

Fayte
June 25, 2009, 01:23 PM
Easy Tsubame Gaeshi? With no bounce? You are really good!

A ball with no bounce is impossible. With this though, it is just a really fast moving shot that hardly bounces because of the angle it is traveling, and the spin on the ball.

Tennis is a game of geometry.

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hmmm..well I'm below a novice so..

-I attempted the snake...if i aim Crosscourt it works..if i aim up the line in swerve out in an "L" motion

-Everytime i recite "I kyou nyu kon" my serve speed gets cut in half

-I tried a twohander (jack knife) despite being a one hander..it's not too bad

-Anyone can do a dunk..can i sampras it? nah

-Zeroshiki serve..i had the most epic mishit..i framed the ball and serve acted like a lob and just dropped..bounced like a cm..unreturnable

-Moon volley..though that screws up the frame...

-Twist Serve..accidentally lol..it looked like a Roddick second serve and kicked away from my practice partner.

-Higuma otoshi...but with a poor volley not a smash

I think thats about all i tried/flukes that happened

Never tried the underhand serve...all serves should be explosive !!!! Or perhaps this is the Roddick/Sampras fan in me..

Sai_the_Shaman
June 25, 2009, 04:30 PM
I've had a few weird shots in my life

Back when I was playing a lot more a few years back I was able to consistently do a Kuroshachi (Oshitari's game move that's like a drop shot hakugei). Working on getting that back (not playing for over a year killed all my slice shots since I need to regain my old touch ;o; ). I was able to do this from the baseline as a serve return and as a normal ground stroke (I could never do it as a volley oddly enough >.>)

Gyro Laser - This is my favorite shot in the game especially since there's so much spin on it that even if they can catch it it throws them off due to the low and awkward bounce

Twist Serve - Not very consistent, but not too difficult to pull off (I prefer a slice serve as my second)

Snake - Snake is really very easy to pull off

Higuma Otoshi - Done this as a smash return and as a basic volley return. It's really just a fancy lob

Yagyuu's Backhand Laser Beam - One of my favorite shots just cause its so easy for me to do.

Super Rising shot - Not exactly a hard thing to do >.>;;

JackKnife - Easy, but don't like it since I'm a one hander by nature

Tried Rai before, not very powerful, but got the 90 degree angle down easy enough (with the stance Sanada uses)

That's pretty much it for me.

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 04:54 PM
All this Sanada/Rai talk got me thinking. If he can incorporate Kendo in his tennis style, can I incorporate fencing in my tennis style?

I mean sure, unlike him I am bound by the laws of physics, but still. I wonder if I could try that. A style that relies only on the frame of the racket as if it was the tip of the blade, lol.
...Unless I merge Saber fencing, epee fencing, and foil fencing in one. Then I might get some regular shots.

...You know what? I'll train for a week trying to do that, and tell you guys what the results are.

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 04:59 PM
i don't think so

volume 40.5 says Sanada practice Iiado...drawing and slashing...

Fencing involves thrusting, wouldn't work in tennis.

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 05:00 PM
i don't think so

volume 40.5 says Sanada practice Iiado...drawing and slashing...

Fencing involves thrusting, would work in tennis.

Which is why I said "a style that only uses the frame of the racket!"

But Saber fencing also uses slashes and quick movements.Which is why I even think this is remotely possible.

Foil and Epee are basically pure thrusting, but Saber has a fair amount of slashing.
My only problem is that I'm an epee fencer, not a saber one, but hey I will work my way around that.

Sai_the_Shaman
June 25, 2009, 05:02 PM
Most sword techs work well with some adjustment in Tennis. I incorporated some Dahn Dao strikes into my playing style. It actually helps to trick out the opponent. I even use Kung Fu footwork when I play from time to time.

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 05:05 PM
Most sword techs work well with some adjustment in Tennis. I incorporated some Dahn Dao strikes into my playing style. It actually helps to trick out the opponent. I even use Kung Fu footwork when I play from time to time.

Oh reallY?

okay

Sai= Wakashi Hiyoshi

Sherlock Holmes
June 25, 2009, 05:20 PM
First part of the training. I just grabbed my racket and tried to hold it as an epee.
Turns out, it's kind of heavy, but I can keep my fencing stance with no problem.

Guaranteed, I look retarded doing that, but at least keeping a stance isn't a problem. Tomorrow I'll go play tennis with a friend and go all fencer on him. I'll let you guys know how I hilariously failed.(No, I am not putting much faith on this.)

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
I look forward to it..

Make sure you shout En Garde after you win a game...try not to get bageled

Sai_the_Shaman
June 25, 2009, 05:36 PM
lol Atobe, pretty much, more so before than now though.

Fayte
June 25, 2009, 06:06 PM
Everyone state what racquet you use in real life.

I use a Babolat Roddick Pure Drive plus (Secondary racquet is a Yonex RDS001)

Aww the serving racket. That things is beastly with a serve....though roddick doesnt actually use it....He still uses the XL Pure Drive from way back. Great racket that one was.

Sai_the_Shaman
June 25, 2009, 06:17 PM
I own 2 (calibrated to play and feel the exact same since the same racket types often have slight differences) Wilson nBlade 98 with 1 oz of lead tape (.5 each) at the 2 and 11 o'clock of the frame. Strung with Technifiber NRG2 18 guage at 55lbs.

I also own a Wilson kBlade 93, but I dont like playing with it much. I really only use it to handicap myself against my friend who isn't that great

First racket was a Head Flexpoint Radical oversized (105 sq in head if iirc) with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Rough on the crosses at 65lbs and Babalot Touch natural gut on the mains strung at 70lbs (I know....way past reccommended limits, but back then I really enjoyed this combo and played well with it. Generated crazy spin with it too XD) I changed rackets after like 2-3 years after I threw my shoulder out and needed to switch to a less strenuous racket. My mother uses this racket with Wilson NXT 16 strung at 50lbs now. I tried playing with it this last week and just couldn't. I over powered all of my shots with it >.>;; Definitely need a much more control based racket now....

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 06:28 PM
I use a an old babolot or a wilson..

But usually when i hit the courts this old coach lets me use his head raquets..

With head i can use my full power and not worry too much about hitting out like i do with a wilson.

Don't know about the models because that doesn't really matter to me..i just go with what feels right..

anyone use vibration dampener? it feels like it kills the feeling..

I don't use one at all. I hate them. I love having the touch and feel without one. I good thing you can do if you want to get rid of the sound but not the feel is to tie a rubberband around the two middle mains. That's what the pros do at least

Quite a few use a dampener though, i don't use a rubber band either..i know it's a good alternative but I'm okay without it..

this is my dream racket..the same model Gulbis uses..i'd love to serve freaking Rockets like he does

http://www.head.com/tennis/racquets.php?region=us&tag=tour&id=1504

Fayte
June 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
My babolat is strung at 65lbs and my Yonex is strung at 60. When it comes to dampeners, I can't not use it. I hate vibration with a passion.

Atobe the king
June 25, 2009, 11:25 PM
I bought one..took it to practice..threwit in the grass somewhere..it just felt so dead when i struck the ball

Sai_the_Shaman
June 25, 2009, 11:57 PM
heh the prestige eh? It's not actually a power racket like you may think Atobe. The Prestige is a solid control racket. All that power you see is from the guy himself and the racket just helps to greatly control the direction of the serve. Rackets like that are definitely for advanced player or at least those that can generate a lot of power on their own.

If you really want a good service racket go with the Pure Drive Roddick. That thing is all power and is tremendously head heavy so you can really come down on the ball. The cons are the net play applications. Head heavy rackets simply don't do well at the net since the pivot point for volleys are all at the base of the racket. This is pretty much a racket the epitomizes Roddicks game lol. All serve and forehand, no volley

PM me if you want some racket advice. I spent way too much of my time in the old days studying racket tech and specs so I can help recommend any if you need some help.

Atobe the king
June 26, 2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the insight..i will pm you about them later definitely.

DavenSodan
June 26, 2009, 08:16 AM
I use a Head Microgel Radical. The best racket for my play style: defensive runner.

I once hit a Tsubame Gaeshi indoor on carpet. I wasnt really standing still but was chasing after the ball and tried to forhand slice it. Somehow the ball went over the net and did fall to the ground very early. Also the bounce was swallow and to the side.

Also I used to be pretty good at hitting Sonic Bullets. Basically just very fast forehands down the line, while using the sweet spot of my racket. But I needed a fast serve or something coming to me. Otherwise it is returnable. One time, my friend served, wanted to go to the net, but after his first step into the court the ball was already behind him :D. Anyway, I stoped practising it because it used up too much practise time.

Hm, I suppose anyone who played longer than 3-4 years can hit real Snakes.

Right now I try to get used to using a real Zero-Gravity Drop Shot. That kind of ball that bounces to the side and it hit pretty much just over the top of the net and very short at that. Important ball on clay.

Oh yea, in last weeks team match I hit an Higuma Othish, but it wasnt on a smash but a powerful forehand (I was at the net) and it was double so it got returned.

Jack Knife is not as easy as Snake but still simple. Damn the real world that it cannot trow the racket off the opponents hands ;).

Rising should be a absoulut-must-have-shot in everyone arsenal. Without it every fast ball at the baseline where you are standing will not be returned becuase you dont have enough time when standing right near the baseline.

Fayte
June 26, 2009, 08:47 AM
Right now I try to get used to using a real Zero-Gravity Drop Shot. That kind of ball that bounces to the side and it hit pretty much just over the top of the net and very short at that. Important ball on clay.

My specialty shot in real life is this kind of drop shot. I'm a lefty, so when I return a serve from the right side, I position myself to (Backhand) slice it to the right, and make the ball go right in front of the net on my right. So when the ball bounces, it bounces to the side.

If you really want a good service racket go with the Pure Drive Roddick. That thing is all power and is tremendously head heavy so you can really come down on the ball. The cons are the net play applications. Head heavy rackets simply don't do well at the net since the pivot point for volleys are all at the base of the racket. This is pretty much a racket the epitomizes Roddicks game lol. All serve and forehand, no volley

I don't have a problem using this racquet in any area. I think it's great. I had trouble the first day I got it, because I was too used to my Yonex. I was hitting all my shots out. Once I got used to it, it was great.

But I don't know if I could say the same for another. I'm a pretty big guy, so I can handle the extra racquet weight alright. And I certainly have no trouble coming up with my own power, so I just go all control for my racquets.

Sherlock Holmes
June 26, 2009, 11:01 PM
Sherlock Holmes reporting.

I asked a friend who knows nothing about fencing to play a tennis match against me today. This is how it went.

Friend:Good luck.
Me: En garde!
Friend: ....you really going through with this crap?
Me: Yes, I am.

Game count- 0 to 0
I was the first one to serve.

Me: TAKE THIS! MY SUPER SPECIAL FENCING SERVE!
Friend: What?(I assume he said that. I was screaming so I couldn't really hear him.)

My special serve consisted of throwing the ball in the air, and then thrusting it with the frame of my racket. Since I'm a fencer, my accuracy is rather good, and I managed to hit the ball like that. Imagine someone holding a racket like a sword, and hitting it. Not slashing it, thrusting it.

The ball somehow just barely managed to pass the net, and it barely bounced. My friend was very, very shocked.

Me:HA! That's my....Thrusting serve. You can't return it!

Friend:It's not like I couldn't...It's just that I really didn't think that crappy serve was going to go over the net!

Me: Tell me that AFTER YOU RETURN IT! *LargeHam*

15-0.

I use my super special thrusting serve again. It went to the wrong side. Fault. I hit it again. My friend tries to return it, but the ball barely bounced, and he ended up making the ball hit the net.

Me: HAHAHAHAH! IT'S.UN.RE.FUCKING.TURNABLE.

Friend:...shut up. It's just that I never played against such a stupid serve before, that's all.

30-0. My friend was now near the net to to make sure he would have time to return my thrusting serve. So I hit a regular serve instead.

He: CHEATER.

Me:Hey, not my fault if you were wide open.

He then went back to his regular receiving position. I hit the thrusting serve again. That totally caught him off guard, and he somehow managed to screw up returning that so bad he made the ball go backwards.

Game. 1-0.

Friend: ...That's the most ridiculous game I've ever lost.

Me: Behold my magnificence and freeze, scum!(LargeHam)

Friend: Oh shut up, will you?

My receiving game now. I tried to hit the ball back by thrusting it again. That made him knock my racket out of my hand. It hurt.

15-0.

I tried thrusting the ball again. Same result.

30-0.

I thought to myself "alright...Imagine the ball is a sword. He is clearly knocking your guard away, so instead of facing the opponent head on, what do you do? You hit it from the side!" So I had the brilliant idea of using the frame of the racket to hit the side of the ball. I managed to deflect the ball. And by that I mean I made the ball go to my left side instead of hitting me. But I didn't return it. Hell I didn't even stop it. I just changed the direction.

Friend:...D...Did you just try to freaking PARRY A TENNIS BALL?

Me:Oh you do know some stuff about fencing!

Friend:................I got NO COMMENT to you.

40-0. I tried parrying again, but nothing. 1-1.
I won my serving game again with my super special awesome thrusting serve, but he won his by not being a moron. He then somehow learned how to break my serve, and then I was screwed because he also won his service game.
2-4.

My service game again. This time I won, again by screwing with him with my thrusting serve. My hand was going numb by then. (Notes: Fencing style does to my hand what sanada's style does to his leg. Except I don't bleed. It just hurts.)

3-4. His service game. 5-3. My turn. 5-4.
Now it was his service game. It was time to use my last resort.

Me: You know how Sanada has FuuRinKaZan?
Him: Yeah so?
Me: I'm the same. I have my SabEpFo.
Him:...dude, giving your tennis shots names is really stupid.
Me: And I was just using Ep! NOW PREPARE TO SEE THE SAB!
Him:...Let's just get this over with and never, ever talk about this again okay?

He served. He thought he was going to get an ace, like always. But no. The ball bounced I jumped at it. Yes, jumped at it. And hit it, of course. In a slashing motion. RETURN. MOTHERFUCKING. ACE. Seriously that was the first good shot I got in the game. In his service games he won all of them with 4 aces. In my service games I just screwed with him and he got to return them A LOT, and we went on A LOT of deuces. But FINALLY, finally, FINALLY I scored a point by basically jumping at the ball even though I didn't need to jump at it.

Him:What the fuck was that? *laughing like crazy*

Me: Flèche.

I should point this out, Fleche is a fencing technique not even allowed in Saber fencing. But I only remembered that after claiming that I had switched my fencing style, so...Who cares?

The rest of the game went well. With me occasionally shouting fencing terms for parrying high, low, and head attacks while hitting balls. It was fun, but I felt slightly retarded.

"Tierce!
Quarte!
Quinte!"

They were not even appropriate to the shots I returned, but screw that. I was swinging my racket as I would swing a saber, and that surprisingly worked. Really.

It was not much of the swing as the fact that the timing completely messed up with him. First, I reached the ball with my racket MUCH earlier than a regular played. Second, right after I reached the ball, instead of hitting it I took a step back(reflex. I imagined I was parrying someone, and if their sword is going to the ground, you freaking take a step back to make sure it's not going to touch you and THEN you hit them.)

I freaking won that, and won my serving game not-with-my-thrusting serve. I used an underhanded serve using a saber fencing motion. It double faulted a little, but it was more reliable than my thrusting stupidity. Specially since my friend had gotten used to the timing of that thing. Then it was his service game, and I won. I think that's all, unless I forgot to tell you guys something about it.

Final score: 7-5. I won. Somehow. Not entirely sure.

Conclusion: Epee fencing: Uh...Well...Don't. It's stupid. Only use it to serve, and even then, use it only a few times since after your opponent gets used to the timing it's freaking useless. A good player can learn to return it after one shot. My friend is really really bad so it took him a while.

Foil fencing:...Didn't test it. I'M SEALING IT OFF. YEAH. LIKE RAI.
*didn't think of any Foil techniques to use in fencing* I'M.SEALING.IT.OFF.

Saber fencing: Surprisingly, it works well. I'm not the best saber fencer ever(I'm mainly an epee fencer) but I'm fairly good at it. And it actually works well in fencing. I mean, you look retarded while doing it, but it actually works. Not sure for how long though, and it made me get tired a lot. Probably because duels last way less than a tennis match, so the exaggerated swinging motions that shouldn't bother me much made me feel like I was dying. But still, it works. And that's a surprise.

Excuse me, now that I see that's possible, I'll go try to kill some dinosaurs.

Atobe the king
June 26, 2009, 11:05 PM
Awesome story lol

Sherlock Holmes
June 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
Awesome story lol

The best part was trying to parry a ball. I laughed so hard after realizing I tried to PARRY A BALL that I almost died. My friend is never going to let me forget that. It's not going to be useful in an actual match, but if Kirihara ever tries to kill me I'LL KNOW HOW TO DEFLECT THE BALL.

Atobe the king
June 26, 2009, 11:29 PM
Hey it's not like your trying to be Federer...have fun..i do dumb shit on the court all the time..the fun part is mimicking pros...like Roddicks ADD when serving lol

Fayte
June 26, 2009, 11:42 PM
Your friend didn't realize you were going to do that ridiculous serve when you were most likely in a certain stance? I would have just rushed the net Akaya style.

Sherlock Holmes
June 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
Your friend didn't realize you were going to do that ridiculous serve when you were most likely in a certain stance? I would have just rushed the net Akaya style.

I didn't change my stance much. I just tossed the ball as if doing a regular serve, then stepped back and quickly switched to my fencing stance. He did however figure it out though later on that even if he stays at his regular recieving spot, as long as he makes a run for it he can still catch the ball. Which is when I had to switch to the saber serve.

Hey it's not like your trying to be Federer...have fun..i do dumb shit on the court all the time..the fun part is mimicking pros...like Roddicks ADD when serving lol

Hah, Yeah i'm definitely having fun. Never tried to mimic pros though. Will definitely try next time I play.

javimgol
June 27, 2009, 03:54 AM
Sherlock, if that story is real, you are a genius or absolutely crazy :D:D:D

Atobe the king
June 27, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'd say it's a bit of both ^_^

Sherlock Holmes
June 27, 2009, 01:07 PM
I think I'm more crazy than a genius, but I'll take that compliment XD

Fayte
June 27, 2009, 04:50 PM
I have a drop shot second serve, because I suck at hitting the ball lightly (overhead). So I spin the ball backwards, and underhand slice the ball backwards. It's funny because I can hit the box at 120 mph, then I will miss the box if I hit it at 20mph. So, I'm forced to do underhanded second serves. I make those in 10/10 times. lol

Dansan1
June 29, 2009, 04:20 PM
I played a wall today. Not just any wall, one of those nice green ones with the lines and everything that they hang on fences in tennis courts. He returned better than Yuki.

We played best of one set, 20 seconds per serve. 2 minutes on changeover. No boundaries.

I broke all of the walls service games to love because he kept running over time and never served.

The wall returned all of my serves with service winners to win my service games at love.

At around 4-4 I decided to hit lighter serves that the wall couldn't smash back and we had some rallies on my serve. He still won all of the points by either hitting winners off some of my good shots or wearing me down. I decided to wait till the tiebreaker to try and win. I didn't think I had a chance winning enough points to take one of my service games, but I realized one well timed point in the breaker would give me the match.

It went to the breaker. I was up 8-6 and started playing my match points for the win. I played them out the entire time trying to think of a way to win. I kept failing and it started to take it's toll on me. I realized the wall would not be able to win by closing it out, but would win by wearing me down till I retired.

At 58-58 I just decided to retire and was thinking about how I was disappointed because I wanted to post this story as a win, and as I was walking to the bench to get my things I realized two different things I had done (and most of you as well) in the past on accident that would constitute a point against the wall. I didn't think I had the ability to do the first without losing all the balls so opted to try for the second until I couldn't continue.

It took me a good while but I ended up hitting the shot perfectly and winning 95-93.

I beat a wall.

True story.

DavenSodan
June 29, 2009, 04:45 PM
Well, Im not certain how to respone to this :blink ... Kiriahara would have certainly won against your wall. After all he cracked one in the Anime Filler :D ...

But about walls: I got someone in my team who is like a wall. Just makes no errors. Almost like Davydenko: no real good forehand nor backhand, no net play, no monster serve but just no errors and really shallow shots. And then he smiles in a really smug way which makes some go really angry :amuse. On top of that he is just our number 4 (me being 6). It is also fun to watch your team mates play and think of whom they could be in the PoT universe.

My team as a example:

No 1.: Is pretty much like Tachibana, hits very hard shots and cares alot about the outcome of the overall results.
No 2.: Our kid, almost like Echizen, a bit less cocky but has much talent and is just 14 years old plus he can do Twist/Kick serves
No 3.: From his playstyle he is like Fuji of course w/o all the crazy counters... but he is a counter punchers meaning the stronger the you attack the better he counters.
No 4.: Our wall
No 5.: The man with the fastest serve in the club, like Ootori, also our double expert
No 6.: me, like Kamio, quick runner and fast forehand when hitting it while moving

Sherlock Holmes
June 29, 2009, 05:30 PM
AWESOME STORY. Beating a wall is awesome. I also beat one once. I noticed it had a hole in it. A small hole though. But I figured that if I smashed the ball hard enough the speed would make up for the difference in size. It did.

So, if Mangahelpers was a team in POT....How awesome would we be? And who would play S3,S2,S1,D1,D2?

Dansan1
June 29, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well, all silliness aside I'm a 4.0, the only thing holding me back from being able to safely call myself 4.5 is my lousy combination of 1st serve percentage and second serve technique.

Give me D1 or S2 !!! Or I quit.

I too know a wall(person), I've actually mentioned him before in this forum. The difference is that he has practically no form or ability(2.0 at best, with the exception of court coverage). He's just really fast and good at blocking balls back. The only shot he can hit well is a lob (which he's actually really good at, much better than me).

He's even taken a few sets off my younger brother (who is a solid 5.0)

alexlw92
June 29, 2009, 06:31 PM
i call doubles 2.

btw, is anyone here from socal, and ranked in scta?

Atobe the king
June 29, 2009, 07:34 PM
Well, all silliness aside I'm a 4.0, the only thing holding me back from being able to safely call myself 4.5 is my lousy combination of 1st serve percentage and second serve technique.

Give me D1 or S2 !!! Or I quit.

I too know a wall(person), I've actually mentioned him before in this forum. The difference is that he has practically no form or ability(2.0 at best, with the exception of court coverage). He's just really fast and good at blocking balls back. The only shot he can hit well is a lob (which he's actually really good at, much better than me).

He's even taken a few sets off my younger brother (who is a solid 5.0)

So your friend is a pusher?

Dansan1
June 29, 2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, though in all honesty he's closer to 3.0, I realized 2.0 is selling him short. But still, bad bad strokes. But those kind of players can be really frustrating.

Atobe the king
June 29, 2009, 08:20 PM
Well from what I've been told a 3.0 is a pusher...

And yes from what i can tell they are frustrating..just bunting everything back in play...it's a sound tactic though it doesn't seem to work on the pro level.

Dansan1
June 29, 2009, 08:50 PM
Well pusher refers more to strategy of play, not level of skill. Low skilled people often play it by default, but there are exceptions and even some who play it deliberately at much higher levels. For instance I was a serve and volley player from the beginning. I played SV when I was 2.0

Being a pusher doesn't work at the pro levels because it's largely a game of screwing with the opponents focus, and if you're playing professionally a few soft balls aren't going to throw you. Well....Michael Chang might smile at that....(and Llendl might scowl....)

But no rating system is perfect because of generalizing. Footwork is often a common denominator when trying to rate yourself. You can't really play that kind of tennis effectively unless you can move, and so often they characterize 3.0s with poor court movement. So what happens when your footwork is completely out of sync with your stroke level? For everything else he's around 3.0 yet his court speed is great(that and that stupid lob). He's physically much fitter and faster than me.. After lots of playing his strokes haven't really improved, but his tennis sense has so now he's able to use that speed to cover the court well.

Fayte
June 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
My high school tennis team was amazing, and I can totally compare them to PoT characters.

Singles 1: Jake ( The captain. Personality and play is a lot like Tachibana. Excellent all rounder )

Singles 2: Kevin ( Co captain. Physically looks like a young Pete Sampras. Personality and plays like Chitose )

Singles 3: Dong ( Real life Kirihara. Super agressive, very cocky, and if he winds up his forehand, don't even bother running to the ball. He lost only 1 official match. Currently in college for tennis. This kid will be a future pro )
Dong Shao:http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs011.snc1/4191_85263949820_550939820_1852375_469134_n.jpg

Singles 4: Nick ( Technician all rounder. Plays like Fuji. In the past, Nick and Dong would go head to head for the title of singles 1 )

alexlw92
June 29, 2009, 11:27 PM
pushers are usually nubs
(usually)
yukimuras a pusher
kaidoh's a pusher
jackal's a pusher

when they say "defensive player", they usually mean theyre pushers

Atobe the king
June 30, 2009, 08:58 AM
Holy crap Fayte you know Dong? we go to the same college...he was pretty cool...I had a class with him and we spoke about tennis from time to time.

yukimuras a pusher

Yukimura blasts off winner at will..he's no pusher

Fayte
June 30, 2009, 09:42 AM
Holy crap Fayte you know Dong? we go to the same college...he was pretty cool...I had a class with him and we spoke about tennis from time to time.

Yeah. We went to the same middle and high school. Dong and I knew each other since the 6th grade tennis team. Next time you talk to him, tell him Garry says hi.

Atobe the king
June 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
Yeah. We went to the same middle and high school. Dong and I knew each other since the 6th grade tennis team.

Wow...what a small world this truly is lol. I had speech with him my first semester of college back in 07, i've seen him around a few times afterwords but not since then given the way college is set up.

I remember he said he watched PoT once and that to him Inui was the most realistic character. I remember him mentioning how aggressive his play was and that his serve was based off of Nalbandian.

Next time you talk to him, tell him Garry says hi.

No problem, If i run into him i will.

Fayte
June 30, 2009, 09:52 AM
I was the one who introduced Dong into PoT

Atobe the king
June 30, 2009, 10:56 AM
I figured lol

taniquetil
June 30, 2009, 12:47 PM
Well, Fuji's Disappearing Serve is a real easy one to pull off.

I think Konomi god the inspiration from the Michael Chang under-serve he used in the French Open way back in the day.

Dansan1
June 30, 2009, 04:12 PM
I don't think so, maybe. Michael Chang famously used the serve against Llendl, but it is a serve, it's not like Chang was doing something unheard of, just unheard of at that level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU2-jsRJRJE

Hingis did it against Graf too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hND_CQfFqnQ&feature=related

At about 4:10

Chang's is hard to see, but Martina you can see the great kick, practically sideways.

javimgol
June 30, 2009, 06:29 PM
All the people in NY knows each other (I stayed there 4 days and I thought it was a little bigger XD)
Well, the last thing I have seen it's a semi-Gin. Not so strong, but really, really strong. It's a friend a bit fat, he can´t run, but he hit serves really fast and shots with a power similar to Hadoukyyu (with a bad grip, you are dammed). His problem is that is very slow, and suffers a lot with angle balls. Have you ever fight monsters like that?

Fayte
June 30, 2009, 08:58 PM
It's a friend a bit fat, he can´t run, but he hit serves really fast and shots with a power similar to Hadoukyyu (with a bad grip, you are dammed). His problem is that is very slow, and suffers a lot with angle balls. Have you ever fight monsters like that?

I'm one of them. I'm not fat though. I'm 6'2 and I'm very broad. I have a large frame, y'know. I was always a power player, but I have a nice acceleration. I can get to a drop shot from the baseline pretty good, and I always had the fastest serve on my tennis team.

Atobe the king
June 30, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm one of them. I'm not fat though. I'm 6'2 and I'm very broad. I have a large frame, y'know. I was always a power player, but I have a nice acceleration. I can get to a drop shot from the baseline pretty good, and I always had the fastest serve on my tennis team.

Similar to me in the sense that im broad shouldered and really on power, not sure how fast my serve is but i ace my training partners when i play them, my serve up the t is good, and there's enough spin on it to get it to kick away.

Sherlock Holmes
June 30, 2009, 09:32 PM
I'm more of a trickster kind of player. I tend to pretend that I am completely exausted so my opponent will let his guard down, and I usually keep the speed of my shots on 1/3 of my maximum speed and just keep increasing as the game goes on. And I have lots of stupid shots that never get a point, but screw up my opponent's game. He just can't focus if I SPIN MY WHOLE BODY before hitting the ball.

My serves...My regular serves, meh. Okay. My serves using the frame of the ball? Double fault. Double fault. Double fault. But dammit if they aren't fast.

Since I lost to the trickster from hell, I also began pretending I twist my ankle sometimes. It helps. I can't outplay some people, but I sure as hell can outwit them.

Sai_the_Shaman
June 30, 2009, 10:46 PM
Hmmm my playing style....hard to say depends on my mood >.>;;

Usually though....

On my service, I'm an agressive serve and volleyer. I volley pretty close to the net which makes lobs a problem from time to time. Back when I was skinnier (gained a lot of weight in college >.> right now I' weight about 300lbs....weight 310 at my heaviest, losing weight right now so I can get back to at least 270lbs.....back in HS used to weigh like 230ish....granted I'm told I'm not really fat, more built than anything >.>;; I beg to differ most of the time, but I certainly don't look like a normal 300 pounder lol) I could run to the back of the court no problem and return most lobs. Nowadays, most people just choke when they see me rushing the net and mishit (I guess I'm intimidating?).

On my return games I tend to play more as a defensive counter puncher with a few trick plays here and there. I play with a lot of slice. I love my back hand slice and can hit it with a ton of variation. forehand slice I save for high shots or to give a nice drop with low shots. I'll still rush the net once the opponent is off his footing (what can I say, I love the net).

As for my serve. the fastest I've served is about 110 because I could never get the wrist snap quite down >.>;; My average serve tends to be in the 90's nowadays and apparently isn't so much fast as it is heavy (or so I've been told). The guy I usually play described it as oddly heavy for the speed so it throws him off. My deuce serve is a typical flat serve down the line with the ball tossed fairly front of me to the 11 o clock (cause I'm a left or else it would be the 2 o clock). Second serve varies depending on my mood. I usually just go with a second first since my first serve percentage is fairly high (like 90%. I attribute this to my height since I'm 74.5 inches to 75 inches depending on how straight I stand lol) or I'll go for a kicker here and there (not very consistent with it).

On my ad side, I hit very wide with a fast and hard slice serve. Second is a wide kick serve (for some odd reason I kick a lot better on the ad side....guess its cause I'm a lefty?).

My favorite serve return is my cross court drop shot...usually wins right away, but it's a bit risky if I cant do it with my backhand....

favorite groundstroke shot: a high bounce return shot on my forehand since I have a great speedy slice with almost no bounce on that side for the specific shot.....no one hits top spin bouncers on my now

favorite volley: I describe it as a roll of the racket drop. basically I can suck all the speed off the ball when I catch it in the gut and make it roll off the racket to the other side (only possible since I volley so close) with no bounce. It really only works when someone hits a fast one at me lol. otherwise I'll go for a normal drop.

Downside to my playing style? I have no stamina...never had any to begin with. I can take 4-0 easy, but afterwards I'll get tired fast. Another comparison to hiyoshi for me lol....he has no stamina and ends the game fast...I do the same. Working on getting my stamina back up right now. Plus, when I go all out I sure as hell pay for it the next day. Hell, I'm icing my knees right now since I played for 3 hours earlier >.>;;

Fayte
June 30, 2009, 10:57 PM
Similar to me in the sense that im broad shouldered and really on power, not sure how fast my serve is but i ace my training partners when i play them, my serve up the t is good, and there's enough spin on it to get it to kick away.

Yeah, being a power player has its benefits, as I'm sure you've noticed. I have a special shot that I'm known for, that nobody really notices at first. I hit my strongest flat shot forehand from mid-court, directly at the opponents racquet head. My reasoning for doing this is the fact the opponent has no time to react, and since I hit it with all my force, their shot will always go out behind me.

@Sai

My serve isn't much faster. I'd say its about 120.

alexlw92
July 21, 2009, 08:24 PM
i play like ivo karlovic: a decent serve and not much else
my serve is usually between 90-110mph, i think

if im stuck on the baseline, im usually defensive, but when i get bored of pushing, ill hit a flat forehand down the line and pray it goes in.

and ive gotten 2 aces off my underhand serve. if i get a good one, the ball drops halfway inside the service box and kicks out straight sideways, like a hakuryuu

Yukimura blasts off winner at will..he's no pusher
look at his strategy: keeps the ball in play until the opponent loses his senses. theres no winners there, just pushing until the opponent goes blind

Atobe the king
July 22, 2009, 10:40 AM
look at his strategy: keeps the ball in play until the opponent loses his senses. theres no winners there, just pushing until the opponent goes blind

Thats called counter punching...Ryoma didn't get the YIPS until 4 games in...Yukimura hit winners to return his shots >_> he hit a return winner when Ryoma was serving with Hyakuren.

Fayte
July 22, 2009, 01:45 PM
I don't know what it is with people thinking Yukimura purposely holds back. He obviously doesn't. He never did, nor did any character say he did. Matter of fact they comment on how ruthless he is in NOT holding back, like Sanada. Yukimura hits winners all day, so I don't know where this is coming from.

Ravsieg
July 22, 2009, 04:44 PM
My serve is my weakest part by far. I'd say touch is the strongest point, I'm pretty good at volleying and dropshotting.

Sherlock Holmes
July 22, 2009, 05:51 PM
Today I defeated the guy that mind raped me.
By mind raping HIM.

With...a real life ultimate prediction. No, seriously.

Ok, first things first. I shouted "The next point will be decided...in 9 shots."
Around the fourth shot or so, I could end the point easily. But I kept it going just so I could make my prediction real. I did that 3 more times. I could end the point WAY before that but I let the ball alive so I could brag about my ultimate prediction.

After I got 4 straight points like that, I got a curious result. My opponent was subconciously letting me win the point every time I declared a number of shots(I didn't declare it every single point.)

I was like "h...huh. I guess I just mind raped him by accident."

Then I declared that I would win the next point in an ace. I did.

Apparently, just getting the prediction right 4 times or so mind rapes some people so badly they start unconciously helping your prediction, lol.

Seriously, try it out with anyone. Depending on how low their confidence is, you can totally mind rape them.

DavenSodan
July 23, 2009, 02:06 AM
There is another way to mind rape people that did the same to you.

One year ago I was playing against a guy that only plays weak lobs over the net. Even if he could win the point with a winner or a smash he doesnt do it. He always play weak lobs straight at the opponent until they get sick of it (like me last year) and make a fault. I only wanted to end the match and go off the court. It was no fun at all and it made me sick. Boring as hell.

So a few days ago I had to play him in our club tournament, second round. Although my play stlye is entirly different I only used slice shots, which I can produce without doing faults awhich is because he did not make me run or didnt bring me in a difficult position where a slice return could land out or in the net. So after I was leading 3-0 first set he went totaly berserk and tried to hit the balls hard and flat... of course, without practice that did not work and I won the set 6-1 (I tried to play my style too then, made some errors lost one game). In the second set he made the faults without me doing anything. This time he wanted to go off court. :D After the match he said something like "Im never going to play you again" that made me smirk.

alexlw92
July 23, 2009, 10:24 AM
I don't know what it is with people thinking Yukimura purposely holds back. He obviously doesn't. He never did, nor did any character say he did. Matter of fact they comment on how ruthless he is in NOT holding back, like Sanada. Yukimura hits winners all day, so I don't know where this is coming from.

assuming yukimura is THAT good (which he probably is), he probably could get winners off of every service return and shot, and the opponent wouldnt get the yips because they wouldnt hit enough shots for yukimura to keep on hitting back.

Today I defeated the guy that mind raped me.
By mind raping HIM.

With...a real life ultimate prediction. No, seriously.

ive tried that. i said 5 shots and it went up to 17. then i said 9 shots and i double faulted -.-

There is another way to mind rape people that did the same to you.

One year ago I was playing against a guy that only plays weak lobs over the net. Even if he could win the point with a winner or a smash he doesnt do it. He always play weak lobs straight at the opponent until they get sick of it (like me last year) and make a fault. I only wanted to end the match and go off the court. It was no fun at all and it made me sick. Boring as hell.

i know how you feel, i had to play someone like that before also. i just kept on lobbing back until i got a short ball to hit an approach shot on, which he either 1) returns low, 2) lobs it short/long/wide, 3) gives me a perfect overhead.

Fayte
July 23, 2009, 12:16 PM
assuming yukimura is THAT good (which he probably is), he probably could get winners off of every service return and shot,

That is your opinion. Yukimura hit how many winners against Echizen? Don't be silly.

and the opponent wouldnt get the yips because they wouldnt hit enough shots for yukimura to keep on hitting back.

No, because the yips have nothing to do with a long rally. It is merely just the image of Yukimura returning whatever you give. He was up 4-0 before Echizen got the yips, which was AFTER Yukimura got those "winners."

javimgol
August 28, 2009, 02:12 AM
I have played several matches lately, three wins VS a friend and one lose VS another friend that I consider as Real Shiraishi.
Victories VS a friend, typical player, power and more strength than control, who sometimes changes to his B Plan, which is total defense. Not too difficult. And my own record of aces in a match, I think

But the main point is the Perfect Tennis - Bible of my other friend. I've played many times VS him, and I have won only once or twice. He plays a real flawless game, and for me it's a nightmare to play VS him. He has no special abilities, but he is very good in all the things of the game: services,returns (although I serve very well,he can keep with them and even get a break), forehand, backhand (bad for me, because my strategy many times is destroying rival's backhand), volleys, and can keep a very long rally without problems. I see no way of winning, even if I serve better than him, because he punish too much all of my mistakes such as unforceds or slow services.
Maybe I just need only an even better serve, or more lucky, who knows.Improving my backhand (my worst shot) maybe could help, too.

Have you played VS a player with no "stats" at 100%, but all of them at 80-85%? How is possible to win? I'm not Fuji, so no expectations of Hoshi Hanabi

Requiem 4 a Dream
September 05, 2009, 06:35 PM
Have you played VS a player with no "stats" at 100%, but all of them at 80-85%? How is possible to win? I'm not Fuji, so no expectations of Hoshi Hanabi
I have faced my share of Shiraishi-like players in U16 competitions. I reckon I am a fairly speedy player and sometimes I will feel like I outpower them even but they will play a flawless game and will wrong foot me or catch me off balance with drop shots. I have lost to said play style 6-0 6-1 barely last year so it's fair to say I couldn't even do an Oshitari Kenya on my opponent's Shiraishi. :facepalm

Atobe the king
September 16, 2009, 12:21 AM
Not one our moments but awesome none the less...

The closest to a boomerang snake you will ever see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42N34SbKMh4&feature=channel_page

Another angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT8i3C1I6DM&feature=channel_page

javimgol
September 16, 2009, 02:36 AM
Not one our moments but awesome none the less...

The closest to a boomerang snake you will ever see
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42N34SbKMh4&feature=channel_page

Another angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT8i3C1I6DM&feature=channel_page
Do you think that his shot between hsi legs in SFs has been the best in History?
And DelPo in now a reality, not just a promise, good news for tennis world

Atobe the king
September 16, 2009, 06:34 AM
It is one of the best because the tweener is a stupid shot that never goes in and i never understand why players try it....and you have to understand that not only did it go in....he angled it..it was a tweener passing shot.

Fayte
September 16, 2009, 10:04 AM
This just in, I did the Tanhauser serve in RL when I was practicing my serves last night.

javimgol
September 16, 2009, 04:11 PM
This just in, I did the Tanhauser serve in RL when I was practicing my serves last night.
With no Stew-roids? Could you explain me how????

Fayte
September 16, 2009, 08:12 PM
With no Stew-roids? Could you explain me how????

I just did a super fast slice serve, I got just the right angle where it was as horizontal as possible and it bounced maybe 2 inches off the first bounce. I was so tempted to yell "TANHOYZA SAV-U!"

Atobe the king
September 16, 2009, 10:01 PM
Lol that sounds like a sight to see...remember though there's no V in Japanese so you have to shout "SA-BU" lmao.

Fayte
September 17, 2009, 10:52 AM
Oh and also, I can consistently do Sanada's "Ka." Both the 360 and 180 spin. With the 360, I hit the ball so hard it went through the fence.

Sherlock Holmes
September 19, 2009, 04:57 PM
Today I pulled a Niou in my fencing tournament, and mind raped my opponent.

Helped by the fact that I have to wear a mask in fencing so it's easier to confuse someone, BUT WHO CARES ABOUT THAT?

I kept changing my rhythm and copying his teammates(and my teammates) both style-wise and habits-wise.

It was really fun. He began misjudging my range. When I "transformed" into a friend with short range, he let me get a lot closer than he did when I was playing as myself. I don't think I achieved Niou levels of mind rape though. He probably did that unconsciously.

But still, it's an insanely good feeling to mind rape people. Too bad it is probably impossible to do that on tennis, unless you are some kind of freak blessed by Loki.