PDA

View Full Version : Review LoneLobo's One Piece Review: Chapter 549

LoneLobo
July 06, 2009, 04:52 PM
So, yeah, welcome! This is my very first review and I hope it works out fine and you won’t tear me to shreds. =P One advice beforehand, I’m not a native speaker of English. But I’m studying it at university, so it should be okay. I guess… If I make any stupid grammar/spelling whatever mistakes, feel free to comment on that. I’m able to improve. ;) I don’t know if I will make another review in the future, it depends on the response here and if I got the time (exams =/). So let’s get started on the chapter…

Chapter 549: Ship Sailing Forth

Cover Story

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1108/26741641.jpg

Franky in front of the house Vegapunk grew up. Well, nobody saw that coming? -.-
I think this was so obvious… There’s not much to say about this picture anyway. House of Vegapunk, Cyborg Island, Franky… I think he will get some kind of upgrade, but I don’t think his main weakness (able to be hurt from behind) will disappear. Without this, he would become too strong and invulnerable. The house itself looks abandoned, so it seems Vegapunk went away a long time ago… Damn, I’ll stop now with this picture, there isn’t much to interpret out of it anyway. The real fun starts now!

Page 01-02

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/416/49128694.jpg

We take another look at the insides of Impel Down where Blackbeard and his crew are saved by Shiryuu. Damn, this was again really predictable. Oda, what’s wrong with you? Weren’t you the master of unpredictable plot twists? Anyway, the comments Blackbeard and Co. say are almost identical to the ones of the Strawhat Crew. “I really thought I was done for” / “We were lucky again”. It’s almost the same response when in chapter 483 Robin and Zorro are totally cool after almost dying from the sunlight. Blackbeard’s Crew is considered a possible ultimate enemy in One Piece for Luffy and co., so these similarities make sense. And that Shiryuu joins BB makes sense too, considering that (maybe) BB went to Impel Down to gather new crewmembers in the first place. So now BB has a crew of six people, and I’m sure he will get the same number of crewmates as Luffy does. And with Shiryuu he got at least a swordsman.

Page 03-05

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/5610/63104681.jpg

We jump back again to the escapees. While Iva seems to be quiet ok, Inazuma seems to be in a pretty bad condition. I think he’s out for the big fight at Marine HQ. Meanwhile the rest of the escapees are crying and remembering Mr.2. Everyone? No… Buggy is back to his old self. He drinks, has fun, and makes some bad jokes, like making a party and using it as a funeral. What an ****. But Luffy releases my anger and punches him right on the nose, saying that Bon-chan maybe still alive. And there is the slight possibility Luffy could be right. Remember, Oda does not kill characters, except for flashbacks, and maybe BB will force Shiryuu to save Mr. 2 when they make their personal escape from Impel Down. The last panel remembers me of Shanks and Buggy back in chapter 18. So Luffy, for whom Shanks is a role model, is predestined to fight with Buggy almost the same way. This is a really nice connection to Shanks.

Page 06-07

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8950/52484899.jpg

Meanwhile Crocodile and Jimbei have a little talk about the abilities to call fish and sharks and that Fishmen are a violent race. Nothing much happening (except for Pandaman in Panel 4, left from Crocodiles cigar), but then Luffy appears on the scene. In the background there is a small bubble saying Captain Buggy. So, did Luffy kill him? Ripped him to shreds? Threw him over board? At least I think Buggy lost their little fight.
Jimbei welcomes him with Luffy-kun, so he seems to acknowledge Luffy in some kind of way. But then we see his conscious, and we got a reference to Arlong. I didn’t see that coming. Of course, I knew about the connection between both, but through all what happened at Impel Down I just forgot about it. Jimbei remembers himself to focus on the current goal and wants to let it go for now. So there is a high possibility we will get some confrontation between Luffy and Jimbei at one time in the manga, and before this Jimbei cannot die or leave the scene or whatever. However, putting his personal feelings aside at this point and focusing totally on his mission show how great of a character he is. Jimbei is full of pride, knowledge, reason and pure power. Great character.
He then lets of the bomb of his Shichibukai title and the location they are going too.

Page 08-09

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/938/89816356.jpg

Luffy is totally stunned that Jimbei is a Shichibukai. I really laughed at that, because it just shows how naïve and not-knowing (don’t know a better word for that… any suggestions?) he really is. Buggy is shocked to know where they are exactly going, being the coward he is. Crocodile takes the role of the all-knowing person to explain the stuff to the stupid characters and tells Buggy directly that he is stupid and slow. Croc, you are so right man. Every escapee (except for the newkamers) is shocked at this reveal and they want to stop the ship from going there. Luffy, the practical person he is, tells him to just get off the ship, pissing Buggy of even more. Before this debate starts to grew, there is a call from Marine HQ… and Luffy answers it right away. Our super naïve Luffy just tells them “Hi, I’m Luffy”. This scene is so ridiculous, I laughed so hard. After all the paced action chapters, this is really a nice break by doing lots of comedy.

Page 10-12

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3971/24163733.jpg

Marine HQ tells them that Luffy and Buggy are considered the masterminds behind the escape. Luffy just takes it in, but Buggy gets a heart attack and probably pissed his pants because he will now be a target of the WG. The speaker at the end then reveals everything about Buggy’s past we already know, but makes two wrong assumptions. First, Buggy is like a brother to Shanks. What the hell? Whoever gave them this intel is pretty bad at gathering it. Buggy hates Shanks. Second, that Buggy will try to save Ace. But, why the hell is Marine HQ telling us this stuff? Just for fun? They have no reason to elaborate this much one Buggy’s past. Simply put, I think Oda uses this as a plot device to remember us of Buggy’s past and to let the escapees know, so that they can admire Buggy. They then keep on talking about how they will not open the gate, they have no chance of escape and so on and on… they are like a pure villain. Wait a sec, in OP they are the bad guys. I mean, the bad good guys… anyway.
Totally in-character Luffy just tells them to watch and cuts of the connection, shocking everyone with this action. The reader however is already commond with his behavior, and that’s why everyone likes Luffy. ;)

Page 13-15

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8775/15270414.jpg

The escapees suddenly start to worship Buggy for being so awesome, while the people with an IQ above 5 just wonder how weak he is. Take a note of Iva just saying “every ship has it’s own disgrace.” He couldn’t point it out better I think. Luffy then tells him about the Dark King, but their conversation is interrupted by the constant praising of how great Buggy is. First he starts to talk himself out of it, but then he seems to enjoy it and his ambition is triggered. This would be his chance to be a Yonkou… wait, too much power… Pirate King! What the hell? xD Buggy, the Pirate King? It seems he really loses himself there and goes nuts. It seems then there will be a riot aboard the ship, but Croc, cool as he is, just sais to kill them all. All dead = problem gone. Croc really has an answer for everything. ;) But this means he hasn’t changed from back then, he is still a truly evil character with way to much knowledge.

Page 16-17

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5058/93730785.jpg

Buggy wants to conquer the Top… what a funny idea. However, he got back up from a lot of Impel Down criminals, so he sure will have a lot of fighting power. And a crazy person (he really is nuts now… conquering the Top…) leading a bunch of strong and stupid people… this is a frightening idea. However, he decides to go to Marine HQ, so the problem of the riot is solved for now. Not much to say about this.

Page 18-19

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/2240/17564265.jpg

We are back to Ace in Marine HQ, where Ace is held captive in total darkness. This is probably to torture the prisoner ones more and to tell him: You will see the light of the day one more time in your life. When you are in that darkness, all is lost for you. He seems to be in place really deep down and has to climb up… a lot of stairs. I tried counting them, but there are so many. It’s a wonder he is able to climb this much. Respect to you, Ace! We also get a kind of mini-flashback, indicating more flashbacks in the next chapter. But the eye candy is page 19. Damn, what a nice drawn panel. I really would want to see that as the cover on one volume, with lots of black around it. I really, really like it! Oda, you’re awesome. The weapons of the guards remember me of Gold Rogers execution. Hopefully they won’t be able to use them. And the clock says three hours left…

Predictions

I really love to predict. I think we will get a flashback chapter next week of Ace and Luffy as kids. Maybe we will jump to one of the other strawhats, but I think they are currently shown only in the cover stories. So, which cover story will be next? We got Robin, Franky, Sanji. I think it will be Chopper, Nami or Brooke. Zorro will probably be the last one.
I doubt we will see more of Impel Down itself, but you never know. Like I said, there will be a confrontation because of Arlong later between Jimbei and Luffy, and I really look forward to it.
I hope you all enjoyed reading my review, feel free to comment on everything you want, be it my style, errors, format etc.

Have a nice day,
-LoneLobo

Credits: All pictures taken from hueco mundo scanlations.

PS: http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/5827/15772306.jpg

chess4
July 06, 2009, 06:15 PM
good job, i enjoyed it...................hope you write a review every week;)

BadA$$Mofo
July 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
S
Jimbei welcomes him with Luffy-kun, so he seems to acknowledge Luffy in some kind of way. But then we see his conscious, and we got a reference to Arlong. I didn’t see that coming. Of course, I knew about the connection between both, but through all what happened at Impel Down I just forgot about it. Jimbei remembers himself to focus on the current goal and wants to let it go for now. So there is a high possibility we will get some confrontation between Luffy and Jimbei at one time in the manga, and before this Jimbei cannot die or leave the scene or whatever. However, putting his personal feelings aside at this point and focusing totally on his mission show how great of a character he is. Jimbei is full of pride, knowledge, reason and pure power. Great character.

Ive read another translation and it said that jimbei is actually greatful that luffy "handled" his younger bro. i think the reason why he said to forget it for now is simple to not cause any commossion.
But all in all a great review:)
i hope you do them every week now

NANLIT
July 06, 2009, 06:26 PM
I think you did good for a first review. I liked how you put your own feelings about the different points of the chapter instead of just narrating the chapter. Try doing more of that next time. If you're looking for a term meaning "not knowing", try the word ignorant.

Also, the Jinbei-Arlong thought was a mistranslation. Jinbei actually feels guilt and gratitude to Luffy because of Arlong.
http://read.mangashare.com/One-Piece/chapter-549/page007.html

LoneLobo
July 06, 2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your replies and for pointing out the translation mistake. I just took the version from onemanga.com, because I'm a lazy person =P Now I look forward to seeing Jimbei on his knees before Luffy. And Luffy just saying "it was no big deal". ;)

@nanlit: "ignorant" is exactly what I was looking for, but don't ask me why I didn't think of it. I should be ashamed^^"

patedecarne
July 06, 2009, 06:52 PM
Hi, LoneLobo ^^

Well, I'm not exactly what you would call a OP fan (mostly because I don't have time to follow it), but I must say your review as pretty good, considering it's your frst time. You're doing well, writing a brief, quick summary of the part you'll talk, and then, writing your ideas in an easy, understandable manner.

So, you should keep up the excellent work, and you'll improve what is already good!

Lord Rayleigh
July 09, 2009, 08:10 PM
Yes, Jimbei feels guilt and grateful but it seems that there will be a confrontation between them about the Arlong matter : that is why Jimbei said " Let put that aside. For now, we should focus on our goal [...] ". A confrontation does not always mean a fight : I guess that Jimbei wants to settle it.
Knowing that Luffy is a good guy, I think that he will not reproach Luffy for beating Arlong. Nevertheless, because of Arlong's behavior (and because he was beaten), it may have wounded Jimbei's pride, honour or something like that.
Then, Jimbei will probably not fight Luffy for that because he said he feels guilty but as he is a man of honor - the knight of the sea - and as he thinks he is responsible for Arlong's behavior, he must do something toward Luffy, the one that dealt with his former right arm.

gao_dargon
July 13, 2009, 02:25 AM
very good review, pleas make a habit of it, i miss reading OP reviews as each chapter goes, and you made a really good job =D

LoneLobo
July 13, 2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the new replies.
I will really try to make weekly reviews after such positive feedback =)
Although I can't promise it for 550 (lots of exams next week =/), there will definitely be a review for 551.

-LoneLobo

Black Lagoon
July 15, 2009, 04:48 AM
just read it, and great review
thanks LoneLobo

Squazee
July 16, 2009, 11:31 AM
I hope you will go on and keep up the good work. I know exactly how you feel about English, I'm English major at the university as well and I know that puts a lot of pressure on you, like "I'm English major, I should be perfect."

But relax, you are good and I'm really looking forward to your next reviews. ^^