PDA

View Full Version : Shounen Kagijin by TANAKA Yasuki

Koen
July 11, 2009, 05:42 AM
http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-covers/1557.png (http://static.mangahelpers.com/manga-covers/1557.png)

Kagijin by TANAKA Yasuki (http://mangahelpers.com/m/kagijin)
Use this link to search for raws, translations and scanlations easily!
Series begins in WSJ 2008 #33 (release date 13 July 2009)

About the series:
From the one shot:One-shot in Akamaru Jump Winter 2009 issue (1/10/09), to be serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump effective 7/2009. To be free like a swallow out of its bird cage, that’s what Tsubame sees in his eyes. In the East Asian Desert, #13 Salvage Camp, Tsubame works as a metal scrap collector as he tries to earn enough money to travel on his own, like a free swallow. But one day a girl was found buried inside sand and she has a key hole on her wrist, the symbol of a Kagijin, one who posses demonic powers that can withstand that of an army. The empire who kept her as a slave arrives to retrieve her, however Tsubame refuses to hand her over and promises her that he will free her. How will he do so? And what significance is there to the key that hangs around his monkey's neck? Read and find out!

About the Author:
TANAKA Yasuki has already published in WSJ with the series Hitomi no Catoblepas early cancelled in the magazine.

Negative Syndicate
July 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
I pretty liked this series as compared to their one shot. The art is become much better than before and I liked about not fighting other Kagijin until next chapter, it's like first arc of Toriko, Galala Alligator arc.

Also, it looks like the author changed monkey to dolphin, and changed the heroine.

Koen
July 11, 2009, 08:51 AM
Well I think this series started better than his previous one - hitomi no catoblepas. Based on the raw only, it looks quite interesting. The heroine looks nice and the protagonist looks better than in the one shot. His art has indeed improved. This starts better than akaboshi imo. It has the potential but I'll hold my breath because you never know :p

Negative Syndicate
July 11, 2009, 09:02 AM
Does anyone know that art of Kagijin is different from hitomi no catoblepas? Or is it just my imagination?

Koen
July 11, 2009, 09:21 AM
Does anyone know that art of Kagijin is different from hitomi no catoblepas? Or is it just my imagination?

Well it's more solid than hitomi no catoblepas. There's some improvement imo. Maybe it's always better to check out for yourself because we all differ in opinions ;)

Succubus
July 11, 2009, 11:27 AM
is it me or jilda looks like caska from berserk? :blink only hair style is different

anyways I like teh first chapter more alot than one-shot I hope it gunna not get axed

Aikyet
July 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
What? I'm a bit confused now.
I have read the raw for the first chapter after having read the oneshot. And I liked the changes to it - the story seemed to be more complex and original, characters - more original and thought out.
But one thung completely threw me off - the new design of protagonist. Come on, can it get any worse? And he was so well designed in the oneshot - a real nomad of the desert, with that cloth on the head and other details. And now I simply can not look athim without giving a facepalm! Sheesh.
And his power chaged. Oh yeah, a sword. Come on, you open a keyhole on your hand and a sword comes out? Sheesh.
And that captain is a cat? What, cat people again?

So yeah, this has some potential to it. Though only if the main hero has some series make over. Or dies in a horrible accident.
I guess, I will keep my eyes on it.

Wasilis
July 11, 2009, 12:15 PM
The translation is out. Let's hope that a quality scan comes out too! :D The changes between the one-shot and the actual series are ok with me except one thing; the hero's ability! Why make him having a sword? It is so cliche and the fights with swords aren't so awesome. And what happened to the bird (the spirit-like)? (T_T) It was so damn cool!

Negative Syndicate
July 11, 2009, 03:46 PM
Looks like some people don't like new design of Tsubame and his new form of ability. It's not that bad as what other people complain about. But, I think key changing into weapons, like katana or axe, reminds me of MÄR, although I didn't enjoy series as much.

And, Childa does looks like from Caska, for similar appearance and they both are in army. I think the author got new design for Childa from Berserk, or it maybe just a coincidense.

Koen
July 11, 2009, 06:45 PM
I like the char design change a lot. Based on that picture of the one shot, he looked like some nurse or doctor from ER. But that's of course an issue of personal taste.

I can't give an opinion on this chapter yet because a scan would make everything easier. But the concept with the keys, the weapons, the art, the world, etc it looks pretty good

shadow-skill
July 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
I never saw the oneshot, so I can't comment on the visual changes to the protagonist, but when I saw the female lead, I did think I was looking as Caska from Berserk... before Griffith screwed her (pun intended).

The one thing I do hope is that this doesn't turn into something like Blazer drive. Where the girl can't use the keys at first then can... seriously overdone. I'll keep checking and hoping for some originality.

Negative Syndicate
July 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
I just realized that Kagijin has similar background as Psyren, which in future, civilization are almost completely destroyed. Only difference is Psyren moves from present to future, and Kagijin is stay in future background.

Drmke
July 13, 2009, 09:52 PM
I just realized that Kagijin has similar background as Psyren, which in future, civilization are almost completely destroyed. Only difference is Psyren moves from present to future, and Kagijin is stay in future background.

Well tons of manga, movies, and books have used an apocalyptic future as a setting for the story.

In Psyren, thought, they go to the future to try to prevent it, while in Kagijin, the future is the present and there is no changing it.

So I think they differ more than they appear to.

Negative Syndicate
July 13, 2009, 10:50 PM
Wikipedia Japan indicated that Kagijin is science fiction manga because of its set up. But, I'm not sure it is SF manga. So does anyone know are there any SF manga in past Shonen Jump series, and if there are, are they successful?

Drmke
July 13, 2009, 10:54 PM
Wikipedia Japan indicated that Kagijin is science fiction manga because of its set up. But, I'm not sure it is SF manga. So does anyone know are there any SF manga in past Shonen Jump series, and if there are, are they successful?

One that comes to mind was Waq Waq by the author of Houshin Engi. But it only lasted 4 volumes.

Jabberwocky
July 14, 2009, 07:54 PM
Apocalyptic future as a setting for the story and cat person may be the downfall of this story.

So is Jilda (soldier lady) black or does she just have a tan?

Negative Syndicate
July 14, 2009, 08:27 PM
Apocalyptic future as a setting for the story and cat person may be the downfall of this story.

Is that means futuristic setting and cat person are not popular in manga, unlike a novel?

Drmke
July 14, 2009, 08:28 PM
Is that means futuristic setting and cat person are not popular in manga, unlike a novel?

I think he just doesn't like that concept.

It may or may not be popular. Manga that used those elements have been popular before so who knows.

Wasilis
July 15, 2009, 08:07 AM
I think that it will be quite popular! :D The concept reminds me somehow of Kingdom Hearts, so it should be popular. However, I will have a better opinion once the scanlation comes out (if it will come :P).

Negative Syndicate
July 16, 2009, 10:33 AM
Chapter 2 is also good. I can't wait what Tsubame going to do next, now he knows that he is wanted fugitive. Also, what Childa going to do after that Dejanera tries to kill her.

Kagijin is really good series. However, I don't know why that I have a feeling Kagijin is going to fall like Akaboshi.

Drmke
July 16, 2009, 04:41 PM
I wish somebody would start scanning this series in English

Wasilis
July 16, 2009, 05:40 PM

I second that! :D

Ju-da-su
July 16, 2009, 10:34 PM
Well...as far as I've heard, at least two scanlation teams already have their hands on it. There might be more, but I'm certain of just two. So...expect the first chapter to come soon? Once again, it's 50 something pages of hard works, so...-_-"

Negative Syndicate
July 17, 2009, 07:51 AM

I think translation for chapter 2 is out.

Ju-da-su
July 17, 2009, 08:23 AM
In fact...scanlation for chapter 2 (http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/41298) is out...before the first one... .-.

Negative Syndicate
July 17, 2009, 08:32 AM
In fact...scanlation for chapter 2 (http://mangahelpers.com/downloads/details/41298) is out...before the first one... .-.

Well, chapter 1 is a long chapter. So, we need to wait bit more.

Drmke
July 17, 2009, 04:23 PM

Yeah lol I noticed that. I know chapter one is on the longer side, but it seems like they woulda just took a little longer on chapter 1 instead of going ahead with chapter 2. O_o But that's just me.

shadow-skill
July 18, 2009, 05:05 PM

lol! There's no excuse for that, the 1st chapter was out a full week before the 2nd. and its not like you waited 4 days before you translated it. I know, I know, be nice.

For now, the female lead has more room for growth than the male lead. I know its only the 2nd chptr and all, but from what I've seen so far, unless he comes across like super saiyan lvl6 or something he'll pwn everyone. The girl (don't remember her name) is the more interesting character right now.

xi0
July 18, 2009, 06:28 PM
It has an interesting setting...a somewhat interesting concept with the keys, but I still don't see it going anywhere. Jump has enough action series already and I don't really see it overtaking any of them.

Plus I don't like the changes from the One Shot really.

Drmke
July 18, 2009, 06:34 PM
Imo, the series is miles ahead of the one-shot, but like it was said, I'm not sure how well it will fare.

puremadniss
July 18, 2009, 07:04 PM
yea i agree i dont think it will last very long, hopefully it gets more n more better with time

Negative Syndicate
July 19, 2009, 12:04 AM
The English scanlation for chapter 1 (http://mangahelpers.com/s/imangascans/details/41697) is out. But, it is weird that looks like English scanlation for chapter 2 is deleted.

Lingwe
July 19, 2009, 05:52 AM
The release thread for chapter 2 is still up at the Franky House forums...not sure why it has been deleted here though. I'm still hoping someone will pick this up regularly though. I might just have to offer to be their best friend if they do.

xi0
July 19, 2009, 05:42 PM
Franky-House's scanlation of chapter two was removed because it didn't follow MangaHelper's uploading rules. Once they rectify what was wrong with it, it can be added back to the database.

Rejuvenation
July 20, 2009, 02:12 AM
This definitely started off better than Akaboshi. Or it could be bad because I may get attached then screwed if it gets the axe. >.>

That aside, the set up really has been interesting so far. I don't mind Tsubame's power being a sword or his design really. The art is alright and I really like the female lead so far.

Should be interesting to see how well this does and how far it can go.

puremadniss
July 20, 2009, 02:24 AM
altho this may be unimportant or u may simply ignore this
but ill be gone for next 1-3 days
before i go, just want to make sure i say
that we will continue scanslating kagijin >__<

ibn.
July 25, 2009, 12:40 AM
It's interesting, I guess. The standard shounen battle manga. The story is interesting enough to last, while interesting, there isn't anything really special about it, yet. I preferred the character introduction in the one shot than the series.

Meromorphe
July 25, 2009, 01:28 AM
So, I've read the first two chapters.
OK, drawings, characters interactions, humor and the execution of the storyline are good enough, but I can't help but noticing how the WSJ have brought the manga back to more generic standards in comparison to the one-shot.
The context of the manga story and universe was simplified. In the one-shot we have a bunch of adult mates working together to survive and now the hero takes care of orphans. We already foresee how they will progress in the pathos with this particular element of the manga.
To the orphans they have added an empire, so that's classical :amuse
The hero is now a guy that seems cold, but actually has a big heart and hides his true nature. With that in my mind it will easy to predict his reactions in the future.
I am not too worried about the Kagijin's power that is now a weapon (the bird was cool in the one-shot), I think the power will level-up in the future (or maybe the staff considers it too close to PERSONA stuff).

I have been impressed with how the WSJ editors can come up with mangas that can actually be hits for one year. Obviously, it is not always a success or means I like what I was reading, but I understand these mangas have something inside to be worth trying to make them serialized. Now, that I look back until the beginning of Meister in December, I notice that they are not particurlaly original in their choice. Only Kuroko and Akaboshi try to be innovative in the shounen genre imo.

Kuroko reinvents the sport mangas on the foundations of ES21.
It is easy for Akaboshi to be a little different from a shounen being based on something that has nothing to do with it, but I am impressed that the author throws a lot of new characters to the readers without being cautious (that's quite a bold move) and manages to keep the storyline easy to understand (though I can't put a name on every face, but I still can follow the series).

I just now hope that the WSJ staff will be less conservative in their future choices.

Negative Syndicate
July 29, 2009, 08:35 AM
Is dolphin following Tsubame and Childa, or is it left behind with others?

Koshi_Inaba
July 29, 2009, 12:01 PM
Kagijin's quite good. But still pretty generic, doesn't offer anything new. Also, i think the author is really not god at drawing clothes. Seriously, Tsubame's clothes looks like they were made by a retard. I just don't think it got anything new to compete against the new battle such as Mago, Toriko or Beelze

Negative Syndicate
July 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
I found some spoiler pictures for chapter 4.

http://imepita.jp/20090731/624510
http://imepita.jp/20090731/624760

Crude
August 30, 2009, 08:24 PM
I just read chapter 7 and it was really good compared to the last chapters! It might be the chapter that saves this series.

Komusubi
August 31, 2009, 03:33 PM
I just read chapter 7 and it was really good compared to the last chapters! It might be the chapter that saves this series.

The same for me. I think is a good chapter because now we can see that the protagonist can become always better.
Thanks to his spirit the Kamui can change is characteristics...
But I think is still not much to compete with other action mangas.

Crude
August 31, 2009, 04:18 PM
It's still a bit generic unfortunately. Hope it gets better.

Drmke
August 31, 2009, 06:31 PM
I hope they add a little more personality into the main character. He just feels kinda bland as far as personalities go, like we have seen all there is to him...

Negative Syndicate
September 05, 2009, 08:12 AM
I don't know why, but this chapter reminds me of Berserk.

Wasilis
September 06, 2009, 04:16 AM
I can't believe how much Kajigin has improved! Look at the last chapter (Chapter 8) and you will understand what I mean! ;)

Ju-da-su
September 06, 2009, 11:06 AM
In fact...if you read the small text at the end, I find it to be almost obvious that it will end really soon though... .-.

Negative Syndicate
September 10, 2009, 08:43 PM
In fact...if you read the small text at the end, I find it to be almost obvious that it will end really soon though... .-.

The small text sometimes give off direction to series. We thought that Akaboshi going to end because small text indicates like it going to end soon. So, we shouldn't rely on the small text to figure series going to end soon or not.
[hr]
Does anybody knows where raw for chapter 2? It looks like it had been deleted.

Ju-da-su
September 10, 2009, 10:03 PM
...Eh? -_-"

Anyway...I mirror Heiji's raw (http://www.mediafire.com/?djymqzzyjzm) for you there...-_-"

Negative Syndicate
September 26, 2009, 12:57 PM
I, pesonally, think Kagijin got better, since chapter 8. But I'm not sure whether it is too late or not.

nassass
September 26, 2009, 02:10 PM
I don't know, I like more Kagijin from the beginning than Medaka or Akaboshi.

sabret00the
September 26, 2009, 02:58 PM
Nice manga and improving rapidly, but totally understand if it's gonna get cancelled.

Negative Syndicate
September 26, 2009, 04:04 PM
As I read Kagijin, I feel like reading Berserk. I think Berserk and Kagijin has a similar atmosphere.

Raichu
September 29, 2009, 05:52 PM
Just started this out and just wanna say my thoughts on it.
Seriously-I liked the protagonist in the one shot better,the new design made him looked like a punk that I really want to beat up.But his personality is okay but when he gets mad he just reminds me of every single else shonen manga male protagonist OH WOW.
But something about keys and defeating bad guys while themselves are wanted/criminals/bounty is really really something common that I've seen about in 20% of the adventure mangas I've read(About 30 so far)...
So it isn't really something new and I'm pretty sick of this old fashioned idea.
Apart from that,I liked the new girl better,I hope that she too is NOT a hidden Kagijin or whatever because I've seen that plot too many times(character who looks like a sidecharacter/useless but in fact big damn power wow)
Honestly,they didn't have to do all that remake,they could mix some elements in the oneshot and the manga.As others already said,cat guy is obviously fail.Why is there half animal/beast man?They could do another useless chapter about beastman or animalman...which is really NOT necessary,in my opinion.I just think that the author is trying to give off a fantasy feeling but no.It reminds me of World Destruction(the anime/game/manga).Which I think that cat peoples are an unnecessary add to this manga.
And a sword as a weapon just reminded me of Bakuman,about saying how popular mainstream battle mangas are?I think that the author is obviously trying to do a mainstream.Why not create a more different weapon than a sword then?
And yes the introduction is better than Medaka Box and Akaboshi,but what matters more is the developement.I hope it turns out good and change my opinion on this.
I'm not sure if it'll last long,but somehow my expectations have fallen a bit,may wait for the following chapters/

Galooza
October 01, 2009, 01:14 AM
I've come to like it pretty well ever since seeing the raws for chapter 1. It was mehish from then on then picked up around 7-8 and now by 11 isn't bad at all. But alas, it's too late. It's been pretty much dead last in the rankings for several weeks and I would say without so much as a "might", but it will get cancelled.

Negative Syndicate
October 03, 2009, 12:46 AM
This week's chapter is really; I can see it imporved rapidly compare to early chapters. I kind of feel bad that it'll be axe soon.

88 Movement
October 31, 2009, 07:57 AM
Anyone have any news on Kagijin and if it may be getting an axe?

Negative Syndicate
October 31, 2009, 08:34 AM
Anyone have any news on Kagijin and if it may be getting an axe?

We're going to find out Kagijin's fate at most likely in Sunday. But, I'm pretty sure it'll be axed.

toeknee
November 02, 2009, 02:24 AM
it's getting the axe =_____=

god this is disheartening... not only are they axing the potential mangas, they're keeping garbages like medaka box and hokenshitsu no shinigami around... ffs

When naruto, bleach, and one piece ends, Jump is gonna get carried by this new generation of shitty battle mangas. Sometimes I don't understand why voters' votes dont go towards more deserving mangas, instead of medaka or bleach or other craps

Rejuvenation
November 02, 2009, 10:16 AM
it's getting the axe =_____=

god this is disheartening... not only are they axing the potential mangas, they're keeping garbages like medaka box and hokenshitsu no shinigami around... ffs

When naruto, bleach, and one piece ends, Jump is gonna get carried by this new generation of shitty battle mangas. Sometimes I don't understand why voters' votes dont go towards more deserving mangas, instead of medaka or bleach or other craps

Kagijin was horribly generic. Where was the potential in it exactly that wasn't done with anything before it? It isn't just about potential but also execution. Kagijin was doing horrible in that department as well.

Kagijin was not better than anything else in the magazine. Not in art, story, or potential.

As for their voting habits, nothing can be done about it since WSJ only cares about people that actually buy their magazine or buy their tanks.

~†Ale†~
December 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
For me, Kagijin was not horrible, in fact I think it's a great manga.
Now I do not give more attention to the charts in Japan. Just look Psyren and Medaka Box. They're always in the bottom, but are not dropped like Kagijin and Akaboshi! Not to mention Jaguar! It's always last in the standings and has reached 400 chapters!
Kagijin, I repeat, is a good Manga, much better than others present on the Shonen Jump.

fizban
December 13, 2009, 03:29 PM
Jaguar is automatically placed last every week. Shounen Jump likes to end things on a light note, so they have the super popular gag series finishing things off. If it were to receive an actual placement it would probably rest much higher.

Kagijin was okay, but the series never had that wow factor that it really needed to make it worthy of going past where it did. I know it seems unfair that new series are already at a huge disadvantage when they start, but the really good ones like Toriko are able to pull through and get a solid fanbase.

Rereading the series, I was disappointed that they introduced the super cute dolphin thing and then never used it again. A good mascot never hurts.

Bugzee
February 19, 2010, 08:15 PM
I thought Kagijin was a great good manga! It's a damn shame it got dropped! :(

The story was alright and the characters were ok lol. Tbh..I just thought it was a fun manga to read. :tem The dolphin was so :cool:!