PDA

View Full Version : Review LoneLobo's One Piece Review: Chapter 551

LoneLobo
July 26, 2009, 09:41 AM
So, yeah, welcome! I got a lot feedback since my first review, and I really appreciate it and want to say thanks to everyone replying to m reviews. The typical advice beforehand for every new reader, I’m not a native speaker of English. If I make any stupid grammar/spelling whatever mistakes, feel free to comment on that. I’m able to improve. ;) After I rushed the last review, I tried to take my time with this one to make up for it. So let’s get started on the chapter…

Chapter 551: Yonkou Whitebeard

Cover Story

http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/7387/52447400.jpg

We get the conclusion of Usopps Adventures and… well, he somehow changed, didn’t he? Usopp became really fat during just one cover story. What a hilarious picture! He even got boobies xD I don’t think he will keep his weight, but maybe this will be his power up? Usopp has to work out to lose his overweight and just maybe this will make him a little bit stronger? Only time will tell. The real fun (or chapter) starts now, with the glorious title “Yonkou Whitebeard”. So, a Whitebeard centered chapter? Let’s take a look ;)

Page 01-03

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8503/87930538.jpg

Of course the whole world is shocked, but for various reasons we are just shown the reactions of the people on the nearby Sabaody Archipelago. The reactions are probably all the same, so this saves us a few pages. Then we got a pretty cool zoom-in on Marine HQ. The giants (correction for my last review: as it was pointed out, there are actually six giants ;)) look upwards to the execution platform, so they are probably as surprised as Smoker (sweating and smoking), Hawkeye and Hancock. She states for the reader the obvious part that Luffy and Ace aren’t real brothers at all. Thank you, Boa! Moria lets us in on the history part, so that we are remembered again that everyone associated with Roger was hunted down. Anyone remembering Tom?

Page 04-05

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9562/62472512.jpg

See, there is the flashback I predicted last week. Roger, the pirate king himself, explains his trust in Garp best: They fought so much against each other, but during their fights they acknowledged each other, and now they are some kind of pals. Friendship is a strange thing. Then we get to see the last breaths of Rouge, bearing Ace-chan in her arms and telling us he should be named Gol D. Ace. Okay, like Gol D. Roger became Gold Roger, let’s put it together too. Gold Ace. The golden Ace, the best card in a card game. That’s pretty cool. ;)

Page 06-08

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/2164/44253871.jpg

Then we got to the part where Ace and Luffy meet for the first time. Luffy looks so funny (or cute… whatever) with this big straw-hat Shanks gave him. We got a flashback of the scene where Ace tells Garp of his useless father and I think that this shows nicely that Ace probably had no idea of his origin. Sengoku keeps on talking about Ace’s past and that he was captain of the Spade Pirates. Spade, Ace, that’s a very nice trick you did there Oda, giving Ace a theme of card games. And there’s the goat too! I just love it. =P
So, summarizing Sengoku, Whitebeard probably knew that Ace was Gold Rogers son, and tried to raise him to be the next Pirateking. What? Wasn’t it the other way around? Ace remarks that too, but Sengoku tells him that he’s the only one believing that (man, he’s so bad…) and that he has to die today before he could stand at top of the new era. The marine wants to kill simply everyone associated with Gol D. (Tom ;)) and killing the son of Roger will probably be the last act. Gold Roger pissed of the government so much that they are even risking an all-out war with Whitebeard. The whole army of Marine HQ agrees and they lift their swords and arms to show it. And then we get the news that the gate of justice opened.

Page 09-10

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/1382/44061216.jpg

Back to Luffy! The gate actually opened, leaving the passengers puzzled of how it was done. Although there’s a simple answer to that. Buggy did it, posing like a prophet. Lol? Luffy actually beliefs it, and even Buggy himself thinks that it was the heavens wanting to make him pirateking… Nutjob =P But take a look at his face. He probably has doubts in himself too. We are back to Marine HQ again and suddenly there are a lot of ships in front of the island! Where did they come from? Well, maybe we’ll find out!

Page 11-14

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/1337/1213xtz.jpg

We now have a double spread of pirate ships associated with Whitebeard. All of these pirates are based on animals, from left to right: Panda, Giraffe, Elephant, Octopus, Ochs, Crocodile (o,o) and Caterpillar (filled with lots of cannons… looks so cool). Behind those is also a huge ship called Oars “II”. Which makes actually no sense to me (had to look that word up in a dictionary, but still…) but maybe we will get to see a bit more of this ship? The name makes me curious.
The captains of these and more ships are shown below, and I have to confess, I don’t like their designs that much. They will play no big role in the story anyway, so Oda had no need to make them super-cool looking. But hey, the guy on the right got a monkey~ By referring to Ace as Ace-chan they show a kind of relationship to him. And Ace is surely surprised, uttering “all of you…” But (!) the most important question: Where’s Whitebeard? Shouldn’t he be around somewhere?
The HQ Admirals together notice a sound and we get a close up of Akainu’s ear. Okay, we still wait for a picture of his eyes, but the ear is okay for now. Anyway, the marine is so screwed. They set up a defense of 50 battle ships around the only harbor, but they didn’t think that Whitebeard could be coming with a coated ship and entry right in the harbor? What are they, stupid? Well, Whitebeard sure got them there and makes his appearance.

Page 15-18

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4433/1617b.jpghttp://img43.imageshack.us/img43/5650/picturetbz.jpg

The Moby Dick emerges. And it even looks like a (frightening) huge white whale, very nice design. The name of Whitebeard’s ship alone should have foreshadowed where (and how) he was going to land. What, you don’t know of Moby Dick? No problem ;) Moby Dick is a famous American novel, written by Melville. It features a huge white whale which is hunted and it probably has the most know beginning of an American novel: Call me Ishmael. Or, in this context: Call me Whitebeard! However, in the novel everyone but one man survive in the end… foreshadowing again? We will see… But he is not alone, with him are 14 (!!) captains on a total of 4 ships. These 14 should be a great force to match the strength of Marine HQ. I mean… 14 captains PLUS Whitebeard! Holy shit! Speaking of Whitebeard, he is stepping up right now.
This is truly an awesome double spread. And take a good look at whitebeard. This isn’t the stubborn drunkard we saw back in volume… 24? I think. And this isn’t the stubborn old man who fought a bit with Shanks. This is the man, the legend, the ultimate pirate! No medical stuff, no booze, no sign of weakness. He is full of muscles and his vanes are full with blood. And then he just laughs, GURARARARA! Why? Well, because HE CAN! In this situation, he is probably the only one who can laugh. Totally confident he tells Ace just to wait a little longer. Man, he really is confident.
And Ace, in true father complex style, just shouts out “father”. There is hope in him again, and that’s just because, for him, his true father has finally arrived to get his son out of there!

Predictions

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/3171/38091018.jpg

Prediction time! I think we will get a Nami cover story. Why? I have no idea, I don’t think Oda got a specific order. Then we will probably got a few battle scenes with the ships and the set up for the Whitebeard Commanders vs. Shichibukai fights. And just one or two pages with Luffy, if any at all…
I really liked this chapter. Although there wasn’t much of a progress, we sure got very nice drawn double spreads and the great emerging of the Moby Dick. Oh, and a close up of Akainu’s ear… The fast-paced action will be back next week.

I hope you all enjoyed reading my review, have a nice day ;)

LoneLobo

Credits: All pictures taken from Franky House.

Max Mojito
July 26, 2009, 01:53 PM
heyyy Lone great review, loved how you put up the 2 Moby Dicks and compared them. And thanks for the advice on the images =D

chess4
July 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
great review my boy..................keep doing what you do

Raysen_ht
July 27, 2009, 08:50 AM
Great job! Very, very nice review!!

Really apreciate the Moby dick reference. I forgot that only one man was lef standing in the end... that is kind of suspicious :amuse! Also, i liked how you noticed the card theme for Ace and the animals themes of the pirates

A couple of things that i like to point out though:

Then we got to the part where Ace and Luffy meet for the first time. Luffy looks so funny (or cute… whatever) with this big straw-hat Shanks gave him. We got a flashback of the scene where Ace tells Garp of his useless father and I think that this shows nicely that Ace probably had no idea of his origin

I have to disagree with that... I think he was, for some reason, ashamed of beeing Gol´s son... he talked about how he and Luffi had global criminals blood and he took his mother name only 2 years before he left to be a pirate, i think he resented his father for leting his mother die... or something like that.

with him are 14 (!!) captains on a total of 4 ships. These 14 should be a great force to match the strength of Marine HQ. I mean… 14 captains PLUS Whitebeard! Holy shit! Speaking of Whitebeard, he is stepping up right now.

Actually, that translation was kind of off... Those are the 14 commanders of WB, not 14 random capitains... they are probably stronger than almost any capitain anyway :p

Hoping to see another review from you for the next chapter!! Good job

Lord Rayleigh
July 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
Actually, that translation was kind of off... Those are the 14 commanders of WB, not 14 random capitains... they are probably stronger than almost any captain anyway :p
Actually, there is no way to say that each of them is probably stronger than the captains from the NW. Personally, I don't think so. The ten captains that follows WB in the war normally do their own piracy, living with their own crew in the NW : they are not under the protection of WB.
Then, I think they are strong as they must be " silver medalists " even if they like WB.

LordZet
July 27, 2009, 05:00 PM
I disagree there was a ton of progress. This is one of the biggest moments in one piece.

Whitebeard the strongest man alive and his allies vs the World Government and their allies.

LoneLobo
July 28, 2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks again for your replies, this is what makes reviewing so interesting! Beging able to see reactions to one's own thoughts. =)

@raysen: Well, I think it's not really clear if Ace knew his origin or not. But you may be right, since Ace didn't show any reaction after the revelation like "noooo". He just... sat there.
The part with the commanders: I knew that these were the division commanders, but after reading somewhere captains I stick to that word. However, I should have pointed that out to not confuse things. =)

@LordZet: Well, there was the progress of the reactions and Whitebeard and Co. appearing. This is of course progress, but compared to some Impel Down chapter, there wasn't much going on IMHO.

Lord Rayleigh
July 29, 2009, 05:45 PM
Well, now, we definitely know that Ace knew he was Gold Roger'son as even Luffy knew it. The reaction of Ace is because he wanted that to be hidden - I would call it the void father :amuse - not because he is ashamed of Roger. How can you be ashamed of the PK ?

And about the division commanders, they cannot be all stronger than the captains of the NW, that would destroy the strenght of the silver medalists : both the ones that hate WB and the ones that like him. Indeed, by definition, the silver medalists are just the ones that are under the Yonkou.
So, that would mean WB (> 3 other members of the Yonkou) > Division commanders > silver medalists.
I think that the division commanders must be around the level of the silver medalists. Indeed, it seems that the division commanders used to be silver medalists before : Ace was a captain that went to the NW and whose crew was beat by WB's, he was a silver medalist.
And we must not forget that the captains of the NW are not protected by WB : Ace was said to manage to live after the WG learnt he was Gold Roger'son only because he was under the protection of the old man.